• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

smurfx

get some go again
dear lord this game is 3x more infuriating online when you are having pad problems. -_- guess i'm done till i get a new pad. stupid madcatz pads don't last at all. its always one stupid button and then d-pad problems. sucky thing is that the pads i like are getting harder to find.

Azure J

Didn't see that post before I invited, sorry to hear Smurf. My pad is already showing signs of being overworked (ah the joys of playing Viper) and now I'm so scared. :lol

If we don't play during this weekend, I'll just bite the bullet and get a year's worth of Live and use it as a swan song for the 360.

Say what you want about stick being more expensive but that shit last you a decade. Return on investment ladies!

He is. I just decied to go to an easier character to play

I feel like I take a year off of UMVC3 not even look at the game, and still complete 90% of doom's combos (minus tac swag combo, and infiinte) on first try.

I use doom/dante/strider. Someone please educate me! On a side note, a competently played spidey is terrifying and annoying simultanously.

I feel more threatened by Spider-Man than almost any other character. Luckily you see him almost never, but God help me if I come across him during a tourney, I'm probably screwed. I know it's probably a dumb question, but have you tried dashing upward with Doom? Possibly double jumping with Dante, or maybe using his hammer (?....the qcf+L twice in the air, don't know what it's called) cause I think it has invincibility or some shit. Maybe Strider's qcf+L or H. Possibly doing some DHC nonsense from Doom to Dante's Devil Trigger.

Zissou

I feel more threatened by Spider-Man than almost any other character. Luckily you see him almost never, but God help me if I come across him during a tourney, I'm probably screwed. I know it's probably a dumb question, but have you tried dashing upward with Doom? Possibly double jumping with Dante, or maybe using his hammer (?....the qcf+L twice in the air, don't know what it's called) cause I think it has invincibility or some shit. Maybe Strider's qcf+L or H. Possibly doing some DHC nonsense from Doom to Dante's Devil Trigger.

I didn't try air-dashing/double jumping- I'll have to try it out in training mode and see how it works. Hammer doesn't have invincibility on start-up so that wouldn't be an option. Looking the hit/hurtbox guide on youtube, looks like trying to get above it may be the best option, since it grabs in front/below him.

Spidey is like Spencer except before he wrecks your shit, he runs away for twenty seconds in unpredictable patterns. I'd always assumed if I ran into a Spiderman, vajra would completely ruin his day and he'd be free as hell. This guy I was playing didn't get hit by vajra ONCE.

Someone posted a Strider video with him doing instant overheads with either H or S. How do you do that? I'd like to step my Strider game up since he's an essential part of my new team.

Zissou

Someone posted a Strider video with him doing instant overheads with either H or S. How do you do that? I'd like to step my Strider game up since he's an essential part of my new team.

If you double tap up fwd really fast, double jump cancels your upward momentum and you can instant overhead with jump h. I take the easy way out and do qcf l after the h to guarantee the combo, but it scales the damage quite a bit.

New Alioune Tier list

rL7rt6x.png

Vice

It's still crazy to think Zero May Cry hasn't won a major tourney yet.

The return on investment isn't there. The time spent learning ZMC could be spent learning another top tier team or set of charecters that are about as good but much less execution dependent.

The return on investment isn't there. The time spent learning ZMC could be spent learning another top tier team or set of charecters that are about as good but much less execution dependent.

I get what you're saying, but once your execution is down, you don't have to learn it again. Dante obviously is the weakpoint if Vergil is snapped it, and Dante is left as the Anchor, but there's still enough tools to work with.

If you double tap up fwd really fast, double jump cancels your upward momentum and you can instant overhead with jump h. I take the easy way out and do qcf l after the h to guarantee the combo, but it scales the damage quite a bit.
I always forget he has a double jump...I rarely ever use it. Thanks. Today I realized Doom with Strider assist is really fucking annoying. I mean I beat the guy 32-20 but goddamn he made me work hard

kirblar

I get what you're saying, but once your execution is down, you don't have to learn it again. Dante obviously is the weakpoint if Vergil is snapped it, and Dante is left as the Anchor, but there's still enough tools to work with.
The problem is that the team is all-in on Zero/Dark Vergil. And Zero's just not a good enough plan vs the modern top-tier teams because they can zone him out. Zero does not deal well with the screen filling up with crap. Wesker has the same issue.

Dahbomb

Zero himself is a screen filling character. Turn on Sogenmu to chip and fill up screen. Zero plus Jam Session is just one way to play the character, you can always play Zero Doom Vergil for maximum derp. Hell even throw in Zero Morrigan Doom for maximum screen filling.

Zero himself is a screen filling character. Turn on Sogenmu to chip and fill up screen. Zero plus Jam Session is just one way to play the character, you can always play Zero Doom Vergil for maximum derp. Hell even throw in Zero Morrigan Doom for maximum screen filling.

Yeah, Ultimately I think Zero Doom Vergil will be the way it evolves, but it's a shame, because as was said, Jam session is just nasty with Zero.

Bizazedo

Sougenmu doesn't last long enough for that.

Have we really gone back to 'Zero takes too much effort to win with'? Really?

*I* would never use that as an argument, although it's not entirely invalid. I still maintain speed + low HP does him in.

Frantic

*I* would never use that as an argument, although it's not entirely invalid. I still maintain speed + low HP does him in.
His health is only an issue in certain matchups where chip can be a deciding factor, otherwise it's not really any different than Magneto or Vergil's health. Zero tends to have more options in those matchups, anyways, imo.

Speed is debateable. Zero's movement options are fast and great if you've got the execution for it, and his backwards wavedash is godlike. I think Zero's speed comes down to whether or not you can manage it.

Then again, maybe I'm just jealous of 5 frame jabs and ToDs. :p

So what if PW started out with TA mode? Sort of like how Hakan starts the round oiled up and then loses it mid game.

He really needed something like this, even like a 10 second begin with TA would help immeasurably. I know his invincible assists were 'broken' but he really needed that to help his character more.

If we ever get one more patch I'd love a hell of a PW buff.

His health is only an issue in certain matchups where chip can be a deciding factor, otherwise it's not really any different than Magneto or Vergil's health. Zero tends to have more options in those matchups, anyways, imo.

Speed is debateable. Zero's movement options are fast and great if you've got the execution for it, and his backwards wavedash is godlike. I think Zero's speed comes down to whether or not you can manage it.

Then again, maybe I'm just jealous of 5 frame jabs and ToDs. :p

Spencer has more hp, tod, and a command throw!!!

He just doesn't have as much bull shit mix up. I settle on having a Zero team, and a Spencer team.

Maybe I can make Zero/Spencer/Dante work, but that just doesn't feel right.

Zissou

I just fucking hate pizza cutter. Zero plus pressing a button means a quarter of the screen is a hitbox/throw option select that will lead to you losing the match should you ever come in contact with it.

I just fucking hate pizza cutter. Zero plus pressing a button means a quarter of the screen is a hitbox/throw option select that will lead to you losing the match should you ever come in contact with it.

Haha, makes me wonder if there's a video of Zero up on the Vita with all them hitboxes. Shouldn't be too tricky with the Vita controls?

Zissou

Haha, makes me wonder if there's a video of Zero up on the Vita with all them hitboxes. Shouldn't be too tricky with the Vita controls?

I'm sure there is. I think fingercramp has made a hitbox/hurtbox guide on youtube for every character at this point. Really helpful for figuring out how to deal with a lot of stuff.

Sigmaah

Zero/Doom/Vergil is my main team, BEEN PLAYING IT FIRST FUCK OUTTA HERE.

Also Zero isn't the best but he's damn good. He's too much risk cause he dies in 1 touch, now ppl say u can't count that as a negative because everyone can die in 1 touch but that's not the case, a dropped combo on wesker/spencer/task etc can give you another shot at coming back, with zero, he'll die by the time the combo drops (for the most part). Now who's the best character by themselves in this game? I dunno but health does have a say.

Dahbomb

I like how Zero players never come up with a #1 choice over Zero themselves.

Magneto? Doesn't do nearly as much damage and has the same health. Plus does not have herp derp full screen projectile confirmations or mid screen air to air cross ups nor does he have the caliber of normals or safety that Zero has.

Vergil? Non existent air mobility, Burns through meter faster than Zero and is a bigger liability on point than Zero due to low air mobility, no real zoning game and same health class. You can make the point of Dark Vergil but a snap back into clean mix ups owns him bad. You can't mix up Zero like that since he starts the round with Buster charged.

Viper? Zero owns this match and she has to use Strider assist to compete with him.

Wolverine? Terrible match up for him, he has to use something like Mystic Ray to breach Zero's aerial defense. Even then its not a good look.

Morrigan? Argument can be made that she beats Zero if assisted but she gets wrecked by a Wolverine plus beam combo or a Vergil plus Strider. Her damage output and in coming mix ups are weak meaning she is opening up her team to dark Vergil comebacks.

Hawkeye/Dorm/Task? 3 characters that have decent match ups against Zero but they get rocked by other characters much harder.

Doom? Every top tier owns him 1v1, you have to make the case then that Doom is the best in the game due to his top support game in which case you aren't really comparing him with Zero because they serve different roles and can be both put into the same team.

Phoenix? Strider? Wesker? Don't make me laugh.

Spencer? Dante? Nova? Lvl5 Frank?

So what if PW started out with TA mode? Sort of like how Hakan starts the round oiled up and then loses it mid game.

Interesting but terrible idea IMO. First it would eliminate is gimmick which is central to his playstlye and second he would be way too powerful as a starting character.

I always ponder how exactly the could buff Wright without breaking him. I used to think that infinite tournabout was a bad idea, but lately I think it wouldn't be so bad. I don't see why Dark Phoenix and lvl5 Frank can keep their powered up forms and not Wright. DP and lvl5 Frank are just as good if not better than turnabout Wright and they keep their's.

Even Phoenix and Frank can achieve their super modes without even partipating in the match. The first two characters on a Phoenix team can get 5 bars before even Phoenix is played. DP obtained. For Frank simple DHC combo's plus photo generally get him 3-4 lvls and sometimes even all 5. Lvl5 Frank obtained. Then we have Wright who has to get 3 good evidence's AND land an Objection AND he gets a timer. When I was playing Kevo earlier I almost had turnabout 3 times in a single match and thinking how crazy that was and how short the timer really is.

Top Bottom