• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Chavelo

So, right now I'm trying to work with this team: Taskmaster/Ryu/Doom

Will it be better to put Akuma in on the anchor for Tatsu? Or will it better to leave Doom on the anchor and have Ryu as an DHC option/backed by doom?

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48019929]It's to prevent confusion. Nobody realized it was an exclamation before. I'm tired of people expecting me to have some bad ass beard.

And yeah, but you were banned so I stopped working on it lol

Capcom apparently isn't a fan of entries that are 80% frame data and hit boxes.[/QUOTE]

It was an art contest Beardo. If you're trying to enter an art contest don't submit frame data. Submit art. How do you even get frame data for a character with no animation frames? For someone trying to enter Capcom on art in your degree your focusing on the wrong end of the build. You'll need frames, but mainly you'll need to focus on adding as many or as few frames as the coder and gameplay design team tells you to. Deciding frame count for metagame and hit boxes is not your role.

Good to know frames and hit boxes, but not for art contests or to try and win a job where your main focus is to be better than other artists in the art role :\

But I don't want to be a better artist. I want to design everything.

And my frame data was based on character archetypes and studying existing frame data from Vampire Savior.

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48020647]That's why I thought it would impress people :-(

It wasn't an art contest, it was a design contest.[/QUOTE]

Design yes, but design a visual theme for their artist to produce not their coders. They needed things to tell an artist to draw to award the winner with professional renderings of their concept. You spoke to them the way you'd speak to a coder.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48020482]But I don't want to be a better artist. I want to design everything.

And my frame data was based on character archetypes and studying existing frame data from Vampire Savior.[/QUOTE]

I understand, but I'm trying to help you here. You've got a dream to work for Capcom and its obvious you're going to give it your all. But you wont get to design everything because you will be on a team. You only get to fulfill part of the role on a team and your degree is in Art. You wont get an interview for any position involving meta game or any of the design stuff with that degree. Thats a coder thing. If you worked your way in as an artist, moved into a lead art role by proving yourself valuable to the art team's role you may have a chance to get in to a lead design role, but even then it would most likely still only be on the artist side of the design. The guy that did all that from within the coder's section of the studio would likely get first shot at any role for designing meta.

If you want to go indie though it can be a one man wearing many hats scenario, but for a major studio this is the reality and I got to tell you its no picnic out there to even get in for an interview these days. I graduated less than 1% from a 4.0 grand average GPA from my college with awards, a role on an indie studio, and all that jazz and experience stole the thunder from me in getting interviews. I've put out around a dozen resumes a week with follow up letters for the past 6 months and I've just now gotten enough experience outside of that thanks to freelance work to get a VERY introductory role with someone and even then not on the gaming side of the industry.

Its hard out there even if your focused at your role. Dont make it harder is what Im trying to say.

It takes experience measured in years and shipped titles to land interviews and a STRONG art portfolio to get an artist role interview. Frame data knowledge might help you get QA but they take folks that have software experience in QA now over just solid knowledge gamers these days.

Just wanting to help here Beardo because you're going for your Masters in art and I really dont want you getting crushed out there after all that effort. You know fighters...thats good enough for the minute or so they'll want to hear about that in your interview if you even get it. What you need now is art. Focus buddy. Save that meta stuff for private ventures or go into coding.

If it makes you feel better I'm planning on taking my time and learning Unity and studying code with my Coder brother in law after I've settled into my current role in a year so I can develop some things I've written out for designs myself. Your designs are for fighters...plan to learn to code for them or plan to orgnanize an effort to put together a team to develop one. You can generally get folks wanting shipped title experience to work on these sorts of things by contacting colleges and asking them to list openings for coders and modelers and such. Also hang out on development forums and work within groups as much as you can.

I'd like to see you make it Beardo, but damned if it aint killing me hearing you say you dont want to get better at art when your getting an art degree to get your foot in the door.

If Yipes feels that Dante takes too much work and got screwed over badly in UMvC3 the odds of him liking Strider with his even shittier damage scaling is slim. Especially when he loves to use X Factor early.

What incentive does Yipes have to pick up Strider anyway? He could replace Mag with Strider for his Wesker/Dante/Mag and Dante/Vergil/Mag team but how does that make those teams better?

I think Strider makes a better anchor than Magneto in most cases. But disruptor is so good.

Zissou

I think Yipes has a pretty distinct style of play that involves a horizontal projectile assist and using it as cover to wave dash in and out of range while trying to catch an opponent flinching or trying to jump or swinging wildly and then punishing them for it. He goes in behind the projectile and if it doesn't lead to a clean hit even after he pressures them, he gets the hell out of dodge and looks for another opportunity to try the same thing again. Using vajra to try to the same thing is much riskier both for the point character and the assist.

Design yes, but design a visual theme for their artist to produce not their coders. They needed things to tell an artist to draw to award the winner with professional renderings of their concept. You spoke to them the way you'd speak to a coder.

I understand, but I'm trying to help you here. You've got a dream to work for Capcom and its obvious you're going to give it your all. But you wont get to design everything because you will be on a team. You only get to fulfill part of the role on a team and your degree is in Art. You wont get an interview for any position involving meta game or any of the design stuff with that degree. Thats a coder thing. If you worked your way in as an artist, moved into a lead art role by proving yourself valuable to the art team's role you may have a chance to get in to a lead design role, but even then it would most likely still only be on the artist side of the design. The guy that did all that from within the coder's section of the studio would likely get first shot at any role for designing meta.

If you want to go indie though it can be a one man wearing many hats scenario, but for a major studio this is the reality and I got to tell you its no picnic out there to even get in for an interview these days. I graduated less than 1% from a 4.0 grand average GPA from my college with awards, a role on an indie studio, and all that jazz and experience stole the thunder from me in getting interviews. I've put out around a dozen resumes a week with follow up letters for the past 6 months and I've just now gotten enough experience outside of that thanks to freelance work to get a VERY introductory role with someone and even then not on the gaming side of the industry.

Its hard out there even if your focused at your role. Dont make it harder is what Im trying to say.

It takes experience measured in years and shipped titles to land interviews and a STRONG art portfolio to get an artist role interview. Frame data knowledge might help you get QA but they take folks that have software experience in QA now over just solid knowledge gamers these days.

Just wanting to help here Beardo because you're going for your Masters in art and I really dont want you getting crushed out there after all that effort. You know fighters...thats good enough for the minute or so they'll want to hear about that in your interview if you even get it. What you need now is art. Focus buddy. Save that meta stuff for private ventures or go into coding.

If it makes you feel better I'm planning on taking my time and learning Unity and studying code with my Coder brother in law after I've settled into my current role in a year so I can develop some things I've written out for designs myself. Your designs are for fighters...plan to learn to code for them or plan to orgnanize an effort to put together a team to develop one. You can generally get folks wanting shipped title experience to work on these sorts of things by contacting colleges and asking them to list openings for coders and modelers and such. Also hang out on development forums and work within groups as much as you can.

I'd like to see you make it Beardo, but damned if it aint killing me hearing you say you dont want to get better at art when your getting an art degree to get your foot in the door.

I never said I didn't want to get better at art, I just really want to be the guy that submits design documents :-(

Kojima and Ken Levine don't do art or programming! They still get to design games! I've read their pitches!

You and Minibossbattle are ruining my dream of writing stories and designing worlds here.

Unless you're Japanese, Beardo, you're not going to get to design anything ever with Capcom.
Hamukau yatsu wa buchi kurosu.

So, right now I'm trying to work with this team: Taskmaster/Ryu/Doom

Will it be better to put Akuma in on the anchor for Tatsu? Or will it better to leave Doom on the anchor and have Ryu as an DHC option/backed by doom?

I think it is best to put Ryu first and have Taskmaster with horizontal arrow assist.

Jump H while pressing the assist button (Press both H and Assist at the same time) for Taskmaster and cancel into L air Tatsu. You will have good ground pressure. If your Jump H hits and you go into L air tatsu, Taskmaster assist will continue the combo allowing Ryu is follow up.

I guess you could use Doom assist if they are trying to avoid the RYu/Taskmaster pressure or if they are at Super jump height level.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48020482]But I don't want to be a better artist. I want to design everything.

And my frame data was based on character archetypes and studying existing frame data from Vampire Savior.[/QUOTE]

Dude...

You guys are misunderstanding that, I worded it poorly. I meant "being the best artist in the industry isn't my goal". Of course I want to be way, way better than I am now and I'm working on it every day. My dream isn't to be another Android Jones, I want to make stories and design gameplay too. Art is a way for me to express the ideas I have in a more concrete way, I've always wanted to be a designer, not just be an artist for the sake of impressing people. I spend almost as much time studying writing as I do drawing and sculpting.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48020482]You guys are misunderstanding that, I worded it poorly. I meant "being the best artist in the industry isn't my goal". Of course I want to be way, way better than I am now. My dream isn't to be another Android Jones, I want to make stories and design gameplay too.[/QUOTE]

Well if you want to start design, work on your own concepts. Your design should hold more weight than you giving fan service. Maybe use Unity 3d (it works well with 2d stuff)

I used to write a ton of design documents. I still do. But I also know that games are collaborative and I'm not running the show. I will work my tail to get to run well, not be over memory, have nice visual set pieces and hide loads/segments. Don't focus on theory-game design (its fun, just like theory fighter) people want to see it running and working.

Edit: I believe in you God's Beard, don't give up your dream, just buff your other skills.

Well if you want to start design, work on your own concepts. Your design should hold more weight than you giving fan service. Maybe use Unity 3d (it works well with 2d stuff)

I've been building a library of concepts that I have stored away on my PC for the past 2 years. Design documents backed by concept art is literally my portfolio. I have about half a dozen designs that I just add to between projects. Spending time on visual development is my main focus for this semester, I moved around my schedule so I could focus on that and get into the collaborative projects next semester.

Speaking of drawing, I should have your piece done by tonight Karst. I changed it because you wanted Phoenix in there before you were banned.
Edit: I believe in you God's Beard, don't give up your dream, just buff your other skills.

If there's anything I'm worried about, it's that I'm not specialized enough. I'm having trouble measuring what level I need to be at for what skills. I'm being pulled outwards everywhere I turn, I've got people wanting me to write screenplays and do voice acting for God's sake. I even took a fashion design class. I'm learning, but damn.

JeTmAn81

If Yipes feels that Dante takes too much work and got screwed over badly in UMvC3 the odds of him liking Strider with his even shittier damage scaling is slim. Especially when he loves to use X Factor early.

What incentive does Yipes have to pick up Strider anyway? He could replace Mag with Strider for his Wesker/Dante/Mag and Dante/Vergil/Mag team but how does that make those teams better?

Strider provides control over the vertical game, which is great for fighting characters like Zero. Disruptor doesn't really help much against Zero since he's always way up in the air. It's very much a question of matchups, but in some cases Strider is much more useful than Magneto.

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48036890]Speaking of drawing, I should have your piece done by tonight Karst. I changed it because you wanted Phoenix in there before you were banned.

If there's anything I'm worried about, it's that I'm not specialized enough. I'm having trouble measuring what level I need to be at for what skills. I'm being pulled outwards everywhere I turn, I've got people wanting me to write screenplays and do voice acting for God's sake. I even took a fashion design class. I'm learning, but damn.[/QUOTE]

Take everything you can get. I got my recent work because I do comics and know video editting. Also I am really serious when I say get involved in indie teams or small game projects within your school or others. Shipped titles account for more than ANYTHING else these days in getting an interview with a game company. Just don't try to turn an indie project into something like skyrim or you will never finish. Aim for small and doable titles based on the strengths of the team. Ship them in quality and ship them no matter what. Dont let them give up when you begin the asset and coder slog long after design phases end and dont let them keep slipping into "design mode" because they are bored doing actual work. Idea man is fun, but in this day and age NO ONE gets to be that guy. Everyone has to participate.

Even Kojima (who was originally going into film making) almost didn't get into the industry and was often snubbed due to his lack of coding ability. He BARELY made it and he's Kojima. Now the role he started in as "planner" doesn't even exist anymore. You only get into a directing role in these games if you've had experience directing major titles and 5+ years experience (believe me I checked too because it'd be sweet to land one if they existed.)

I seriously think though with your constant overflow of metagame thoughts that you should do a few indie titles with a couple of groups and help them get their games done first and then see about recruiting coders and such for indie work to develop a fighting game of your own. In either event learn all the skills and ESPECIALLY software you can related to your degree. Also vector animation and color digital paintings are about all anyone cares about in 2d game portfolios these days due to mobile. If you go Capcom you'll need a lot of the latter in impressive quality to get in as concept artist. Otherwise take those sculpting skills and start learning the ends and out of ZBrush, Maya, Motionbuilder, and 3DS max and get yourself some 3D animation.

College will give you a diverse range of classes at an art school, but you are gonna need to do just what you said and specialize in something. Pick a job you think would be easiest with your strengths to aim for int he industry. Not easiest in work load, but just appeals to your strengths and reseearch your list of software and skills needed for the role and spend ALL your free time working at it. Its why I dumped playing Marvel to begin with and why I hardly get to game now. It'll be rough for you, but you have to do it to beat out all the folks with experience who lost their jobs competing for new ones.

Good luck Beardo. Hope this helps.

Dahbomb

Because Vajra is a superior assist to EMD and gives your super jump coverage... an essential tool against super jumpers like Zero, Morrigan, Dormammu etc.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48036890]Speaking of drawing, I should have your piece done by tonight Karst. I changed it because you wanted Phoenix in there before you were banned[/QUOTE]
I'm pumped to see it.

Why haven't any of y'all done a Sagat moveset in MvC3 yet? Or have I missed such?

/theoryfighterchallenge

It be the same move as Sagat always have... dur.

Command normals

Overhead

Specials

Tiger Knee
Tiger Uppercut
Tiger shot (High, Low) (maybe you can throw an EX in there... who knows). L = high, M= high but faster, and H = low.

Super

Tiger Cannon
Tiger Raid
Tiger Genocide

(No level 3 so he's basically like Nova) Or make Genocide a level three. Raid is going to be hard to punish... as usual. Cannon is well going to be the same ass shit as always. Just bigger.

Vice

Why haven't any of y'all done a Sagat moveset in MvC3 yet? Or have I missed such?

/theoryfighterchallenge

Command normals:
Overhead

Specials:
Tiger Knee (air ok)
Tiger Shot (air OK, high, low, diagonal)
Tiger Uppercut

Supers:
Tiger genocide
Tiger Cannon
Angry Scar (An install hyper that increases his damage and speed. Drains red life. The more red life drained increases the amount of the buff. Has devil trigger length)

Kioshen

Not to rain on anyone's parade but since Sagat has always had poor movement ... wouldn't he suck in marvel ? Wouldn't that be the first thing that you all need to look at to make him work in that type of engine ?

Command normals:
Overhead

Specials:
Tiger Knee (air ok)
Tiger Shot (air OK, high, low, diagonal)
Tiger Uppercut

Supers:
Tiger genocide
Tiger Cannon
Angry Scar (An install hyper that increases his damage and speed. Drains red life. The more red life drained increases the amount of the buff. Has devil trigger length)

Tiger knee and shot in the air?

What the......

Not to rain on anyone's parade but since Sagat has always had poor movement ... wouldn't he suck in marvel ? Wouldn't that be the first thing that you all need to look at to make him work in that type of engine ?

Give him good walking speed, great wave dash, and a double jump. Or just make him like Ryu/Akuma.

LakeEarth

He'd also be a big target, and I'm sure whatever zoning he can pull off wouldn't hold a candle to soul-fist spam.

I know I'm just picturing mugen Sagat, because tiger shot in the air would just remind me of either rainbow edition or mugen shit.

Tiger knee shouldn't wall bounce unless it's EX version. Maybe give him ex tiger uppercut as well and it knocks them so high up that when they fall it's a ground bounce.

FSLink

Banned
Gameplay wise I'd prefer Seth over Sagat. Too bad he'd be a terrible representation for the SF cast... there's much better choices... but his playstyle is practically made for a Marvel game.

Dahbomb

Invincible plus positive recovery on Tiger Knee would be about as dumb as Vanilla Berserker Slash.

Give it a single point of armor, make it air OK and make it a wall bounce. Unsafe on block so players can't derp with it.

Allow Sagat to fire two fireballs at once like Rocket Racoon. L version low to ground, M version higher up and H version diagonally up. Air OK fireballs L version diagonal down, M forward and H diagonally up. L version in air also OTGs.

That's still not enough, right now he's just another Ryu with better zoning and better air confirmation thanks to air OK TK wall bounce. He still has mediocre mobility and mix ups.

Invincible plus positive recovery on Tiger Knee would be about as dumb as Vanilla Berserker Slash.

Give it a single point of armor, make it air OK and make it a wall bounce. Unsafe on block so players can't derp with it.

Allow Sagat to fire two fireballs at once like Rocket Racoon. L version low to ground, M version higher up and H version diagonally up. Air OK fireballs L version diagonal down, M forward and H diagonally up. L version in air also OTGs.

That's still not enough, right now he's just another Ryu with better zoning and better air confirmation thanks to air OK TK wall bounce. He still has mediocre mobility and mix ups.

You're missing the point, he's suppose to be stupid broken. That's the joke.

i would imagine sagat's tk would behave somewhat like iron fists flying kick, though i dont play IF.

maybe tiger shot S follows a trajectory similar to taskmaster's H arrows.

slasher, any chance you captured our casual set over the weekend?

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";48040556]I thought planner was just game designer now. I keep reading all those Iwata asks and everybody started out as a planner :/

[/QUOTE]

Started as a planner waaaaaaay back in the day when the job market wasn't as big for this industry and you could get into roles like that with less experience. Game involved less work, and less manpower and released more often back then and in a market trying to grow they'd take folks with less experience.

Fast forward to today and its an entirely different industry and it takes entirely different things to get into such a role. Check out the listings on game jobs like that at company sites or search for them using this.

The required skillsets and experience in the industry for those positions is extremely different and requires a lot of industry credit to land. Base your portfolio and training off of the things that these searches turn up in their list of requirements. Take on indie projects and phone games to get shipped title experience FAST. While in college go for internships in California whenever possible since you are local enough to land them and since most wont give internships to non students (graduated and started seeing folks write back saying their internship programs were for students ONLY.)

Build yourself for what today's market demands on these jobs Beardo. Hope all this helps you to prepare for this stuff and helps give you some better direction to your training. You're gonna be in for a ride soon and I'd hate for you to be in trouble straight off the starting line.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
They should make Hulk st. H an overhead
Kreygasm.png

Noooo. No. Just no. I do wish gamma wave wasn't a charge move though. I was quite upset when I first played MvC3 and found out it was. But having gamma charge no longer a charge move was nice. Can't we just have both?

Dahbomb

Alright fuck it, new broken Sagat in UMVC3:

Same as above but TK is now +8 on block like Vanilla Hammer.

All fireballs have tracking ability like Phoenix's fireball only they fly out faster and can even fly behing Sagat for anti teleport shenanigans.

Tiger Uppercut causes soft knockdown on hit and is fully invincible. Sagat can combo after it.

Angry Scar ability. The next Tiger Uppercut you do will do double damage and is safe on block. The next Tiger Knee you do will also do double damage and remove red health from opponent. The next fireball to connect will drain one bar from opponent.

Sagat has Focus Attack like Viper.

His overhead is 8 frame start up.

Top Bottom