• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

LakeEarth

Hey, Nemesis + Iron Man is not bad. Clip them with a tentacle, and unibeam holds them in place so you can dash up and continue the combo. But I'm not THAT much of a low tier warrior.

My main team is currently Cap/Nova/Doom, but at the moment I'm really considering running either Cap/Nova/Ammy (for the Nova/Ammy shell) or Cap/Doom/Ammy (for the Doom/Ammy shell) as an alternate team, or potentially to have one of those become my main team. Either that or keep my team of Cap/Nova/Doom... anyone have any thoughts? Assists I'm using for my current team are Charging Star (but I never really use Cap for his assist, he's generally always on point), Centurion Rush (the overhead, for unblockables/combo extension), and Hidden Missiles (for some slight combo extension/divine intervention).

Man, Cap/Nova/Doom seems really unwieldy. Why would you use missiles over the beam? It seems like it'd be better for both characters. You might also want to consider Shield slash assist for mixups.

Vice

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";52524738]Man, Cap/Nova/Doom seems really unwieldy. Why would you use missiles over the beam? It seems like it'd be better for both characters. You might also want to consider Shield slash assist for mixups.[/QUOTE]
Missiles let Cap tod most of the cast abd adds safety to charging star.

Missiles let Cap tod most of the cast abd adds safety to charging star.

Adds safety to charging star? Won't you just get tossed every time at the very least? It doesn't seem like the missiles would come down fast enough unless you called them then hung out for a while before charging.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";52526160]Adds safety to charging star? Won't you just get tossed every time at the very least? It doesn't seem like the missiles would come down fast enough unless you called them then hung out for a while before charging.[/QUOTE]

I experimented with this before and from what I remember, you would have to call Doom before you begin your block string into charging star to get the missiles to make it safe. Not the greatest thing IMO

Dahbomb

Thor should be on point though if it's an anti-Morrigan team. Even if he does absolutely nothing his HP will allow Doom to get in safely with Stalking Flare and set up his game. Dorm at the start may have trouble starting his game up.

Also Thor combo that kills Morrigan off of stray Mighty Strike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH3SGmCvlq4

Like mentioned before, the team would still get bodied by Vergil at the back. Thor has to survive so that he can snap in Vergil and mix him up because Dorm/Doom don't have godly incoming mix ups.

They were talking about it on UltraChen to counter Morrigan/Doom specifically.
"They"?

Thor should be on point though if it's an anti-Morrigan team. Even if he does absolutely nothing his HP will allow Doom to get in safely with Stalking Flare and set up his game. Dorm at the start may have trouble starting his game up.

Also Thor combo that kill Morrigan off of stray Mighty Strike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH3SGmCvlq4
The nice thing about Thor is that he can avoid the Morrigan/Doom situation entirely. Fly + air dash to get away from Soul Fist, and Mighty Spark destroys missiles (the hitbox that is created around his hammer).

I like the strategy some people have been using: get hit by Hidden Missiles at superjump height. It's not a lot of damage (especially compared to the chip you'd face by blocking and going down into Soul Fist Land), and after you recover you get an assist call at superjump height. More people should explore this, especially with Jam Session.

I still think Thor is too fucking fat and slow to do anything about fireballs. Can't you get it on the startup of Mighty Strike?

Mighty strike startup has no hitbox or evasion. He just sits and gets tagged. That said, uncharged air version is pretty good.

Charge should have a hitbox like Blanka's electricity, and uncharged version should have super armor. The second-slowest raw super armor move in the game gains super armor 10 frames faster than Mighty Strike.

edit: Wow, Raccoon's Spitfire assist gives grounded mighty strike some retarded hitstun

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";52545633]Well 2L2M is safe in that you can always command grab before they can do anything. 4 hit confirm.[/QUOTE]
I bet 2M is slow enough to get punished off a 2L pushblock. And the command grab is a failed follow-up because your opponent should be holding up after 2M.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";52548627]2M is Thor's fastest-recovering normal move at 15 frames, and is -5 on block.[/QUOTE]
Look at the active frames. I'm saying someone pushblocks the L and punishes the c.M. There's probably enough time for a character like Wolverine.

Look at the active frames. I'm saying someone pushblocks the L and punishes the c.M. There's probably enough time for a character like Wolverine.

I just sat in training mode with X-23, Magneto and Wolverine and tried it for the last few minutes with Thor set to 2L2M, upback. Unless Thor cornered himself, I was only able to do it with X-23. It might be possible with Wolvie and Magneto, but the timing is incredibly strict.

edit: I can punish it about half the time with pushblock, berserker slash M.

double edit: possible, but tight with fast characters. If thor cancels into something, they'll get tagged though.

Dahbomb

I like the strategy some people have been using: get hit by Hidden Missiles at superjump height. It's not a lot of damage (especially compared to the chip you'd face by blocking and going down into Soul Fist Land), and after you recover you get an assist call at superjump height. More people should explore this, especially with Jam Session.
There is a big problem when people have to actually get hit to come out in a slightly better position against that set up. I already proposed this strategy with Storm plus meter building assist.

There is a big problem when people have to actually get hit to come out in a slightly better position against that set up. I already proposed this strategy with Storm plus meter building assist.
I'm not thinking that it's a good counter to Morrigan/Doom so much as it is a good counter to Hidden Missiles in general. Storm + meter building assist is a terrible combination, by the way, and would get slaughtered by Morrigan/Doom. You wouldn't ever even get Ice Storm off with all the Soul Fists flying around. I tried running Storm/Morrigan before and it just doesn't work, she needs an assist to get in and create pressure. She doesn't have Magnetic Blast to control the screen like Magneto does.

Most Thor's I've seen seem to only attack from the air with an assist covering him. It doesn't look like his ground game is that great. His air specials are probably his safe option. Looking for cross ups and what not.

Marz

Your options are Vergil or Morrigan. Maybe Dormammu, the rest don't come close.

Bleh I tried Morrigan, she's actually kind of similar to Magneto so I may have to give her a shot.

Lots of satellite shots. It's your best move.

Consider putting Magneto second, and pick a character that wants EMD and Hidden Missiles. That opens your options up a lot.

So Dorm, Wesker, Dante? Who else uses EMD well?

So Dorm, Wesker, Dante? Who else uses EMD well?
Pretty much everyone can make solid use of EMD. The list of those who can is much larger than the list of those who can't.

Most Thor's I've seen seem to only attack from the air with an assist covering him. It doesn't look like his ground game is that great. His air specials are probably his safe option. Looking for cross ups and what not.
Yeah, but you need to hit confirm from the aerial attack.

Dahbomb

I'm not thinking that it's a good counter to Morrigan/Doom so much as it is a good counter to Hidden Missiles in general. Storm + meter building assist is a terrible combination, by the way, and would get slaughtered by Morrigan/Doom. You wouldn't ever even get Ice Storm off with all the Soul Fists flying around. I tried running Storm/Morrigan before and it just doesn't work, she needs an assist to get in and create pressure. She doesn't have Magnetic Blast to control the screen like Magneto does.
You can go for hail mary LA into LS with a meter building assist.

And I was talking about Vanilla Storm in that scenario. New Storm would never work with that combination, you would die from taking Missiles to the face before you build enough meter.

You can go for hail mary LA into LS with a meter building assist.

And I was talking about Vanilla Storm in that scenario. New Storm would never work with that combination, you would die from taking Missiles to the face before you build enough meter.
It wouldn't even work then. Float won't help you get hit less by Missiles.

Also, good Morrigan players start spamming Soul Drain against Dark Harmonizer assist spam. "Share the love", haha.
This happened to me at locals. :-(

Dahbomb

Float is there to avoid Soul Fists, you get hit on purpose to reset assist call and build meter.

Never said this was a good strategy! In fact most anti-Morrigan/Doom strategies have fell flat on their faces. I don't even think Captain America/Thor/Shuma (not that team but these characters) are that good against the combination, they have a very straightforward plan. Like what happens if Morrigan starts rushing down Thor? He is done, he has no defensive abilities.

Float is there to avoid Soul Fists, you get hit on purpose to reset assist call and build meter.

Never said this was a good strategy! In fact most anti-Morrigan/Doom strategies have fell flat on their faces. I don't even think Captain America/Thor/Shuma (not that team but these characters) are that good against the combination, they have a very straightforward plan. Like what happens if Morrigan starts rushing down Thor? He is done, he has no defensive abilities.
XFC Shell Kick blockstun into a 1F command grab and kill her. Or into Mighty Punish, DHC to utility assist, full combo into the kill. Hell yeah!

Okay, so it's not the best plan, but it's twice as effective as most of what we have seen thus far! You just need a setup to ensure Vergil dies on the incoming.

JeTmAn81

So after the umpteenth Chris G victory, I have decided to start playing a Magneto/Morrigan/Doom team, because that's the best thing for everyone. Now, how do I combo into Soul Drain?

P.S. People in online matches seem upset about this

Dahbomb

XFC Shell Kick blockstun into a 1F command grab and kill her. Or into Mighty Punish, DHC to utility assist, full combo into the kill. Hell yeah!

Okay, so it's not the best plan, but it's twice as effective as most of what we have seen thus far! You just need a setup to ensure Vergil dies on the incoming.
And if you fuck up the XFC into command throw you essentially lose the game because you wasted XF1 on a hail mary. Chance to win match versus most definite loss of match... the very opposite of a solid strategy.

Thor would always save his XF for Vergil because then he can Mighty Punish through Vergil's SS. Just the threat of it keeps Vergil a bit more honest.

And if you fuck up the XFC into command throw you essentially lose the game because you wasted XF1 on a hail mary. Chance to win match versus most definite loss of match... the very opposite of a solid strategy.

Thor would always save his XF for Vergil because then he can Mighty Punish through Vergil's SS. Just the threat of it keeps Vergil a bit more honest.
If ChrisG can make qcf and qcb motions with perfection while calling assists and air dashing around the screen, I think we can expect the opponent to get the timing on one goddamn input correct.

Realistically, ChrisG would adapt to saving X-Factor to counter Thor's XFC, and the player would be right back to square one.

Edit: Though, if you aerial XFC, it would be better.

Frantic

Taskmaster/Dante/Akuma for XF grabbing Shell Kick(since it's got a few frames of grounded recovery iirc), then unblockabling Vergil with Jam Session.

Maybe, anyways. I just like that team, since it let's me go ham with Taskmaster. Definitely my go-to team for Wolverine teams.

Taskmaster/Dante/Akuma for XF grabbing Shell Kick(since it's got a few frames of grounded recovery iirc), then unblockabling Vergil with Jam Session.

Maybe, anyways. I just like that team, since it let's me go ham with Taskmaster. Definitely my go-to team for Wolverine teams.
Don't forget that she can Shadow Servant in response to the XFC. ;-)

Frantic

Don't forget that she can Shadow Servant in response to the XFC. ;-)
Then XFC and do absolutely nothing if they show they can actually react to the XFC. Free punish, and then they're forced to guess every X-Factor. :p

With some testing, it seems that if you mistime the X-Factor cancel to throw, Morrigan can actually use her command throw to punish the X-Factor. This actually works against other command throws too, and if the two command throws are inputted at the same time they cancel each other out, lol.

Dahbomb

If ChrisG can make qcf and qcb motions with perfection while calling assists and air dashing around the screen, I think we can expect the opponent to get the timing on one goddamn input correct.

Realistically, ChrisG would adapt to saving X-Factor to counter Thor's XFC, and the player would be right back to square one.

Edit: Though, if you aerial XFC, it would be better.
ChrisG messing up a fireball or an air dash among many is extremely small in the grand sceme of things especially with derp missiles covering his mistakes. While the Thor gimmick is not difficult to execute (I have caught stray Dark Strider Vajra with it) it's a massive gamble that does not even guarantee victory because you still have 2 characters to deal with and one of them is a bad match up for Thor.

Vice

Should't mystic ray counter a big part of MorriDoom? The beam should clear the missiles and soul fists coming from the front.

Dahbomb

The assist takes a while to come out and can get tagged on start up. Plus the beam has specific durability, its not going to clear out everything. It's 10 durability points.

Then XFC and do absolutely nothing if they show they can actually react to the XFC. Free punish, and then they're forced to guess every X-Factor. :p

With some testing, it seems that if you mistime the X-Factor cancel to throw, Morrigan can actually use her command throw to punish the X-Factor. This actually works against other command throws too, and if the two command throws are inputted at the same time they cancel each other out, lol.
Well, either Hidden Missiles are on their way to make Shadow Servant safe, or Morrigan can DHC to Vergil - your choice. ;-) Or she could just X-Factor Shadow Servant and resume bullet hell.

Top Bottom