• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dartastic

Well, now I feel bad. Day 1 Wolverine >>>>>> Viper then. :lol

GGs man, lag and rust is a terrible combination. I was so upset I lost so many games to SoV - XFC - SoV that the last few matches were just me trying to get the Doctor ASAP.
Yeah... Your Viper didn't really do much. Heh. I don't know why it got laggy, we had instances when it was fine, and other times it was just... Blargh. Ah well.

Also, try and save 3 bars for your Strider. You never had Oroborous + lvl 3 XF. That alone is a disgustingly potent combo, and you NEVER used it.

I was trying to pick up Spider-Man, then today I decided I'd just try and play some Wolverine. ...that character is really good, and really pretty simple to pick up. Me like.

Azure J

I don't really like going full orbs right from the jump with anchor Strider really. I try to get as much done with barebones Strider. If that doesn't work, I then pop XF and try to clean up two characters and coast the remainder of the XF time with Orbs or whatever else. I just feel like jumping to the Orbs button has little payoff unless you absolutely need to stall something out.

Dartastic

I don't really like going full orbs right from the jump with anchor Strider really. I try to get as much done with barebones Strider. If that doesn't work, I then pop XF and try to clean up two characters and coast the remainder of the XF time with Orbs or whatever else. I just feel like jumping to the Orbs button has little payoff unless you absolutely need to stall something out.
I think that the longer you wait to pop orbs, the larger the chance is you're gonna get bopped.

Zissou

I think that the longer you wait to pop orbs, the larger the chance is you're gonna get bopped.

Orbs and x-factor let you turn off your brain and kill characters with Strider, but he's great
in xf3 without orbs, and I feel like he can kill faster without them which matters since every drop of x-factor time matters to Strider. I find myself using orbs as an insurance policy to stop a reverse OCV more than anything.

smurfx

get some go again
haha you know you've fucked up if my 25 percent haggar manages to kill a half life dormammu and almost full life doom.

Dartastic

have i ever played you dart?
I don't think so. I've been out of it for a while, and I'm just starting to get back into the game.
Orbs and x-factor let you turn off your brain and kill characters with Strider, but he's great
in xf3 without orbs, and I feel like he can kill faster without them which matters since every drop of x-factor time matters to Strider. I find myself using orbs as an insurance policy to stop a reverse OCV more than anything.
He is great without them, but you might as well go for the kill. Orbs allow you to do that far easier.

Zissou

I don't think so. I've been out of it for a while, and I'm just starting to get back into the game.

He is great without them, but you might as well go for the kill. Orbs allow you to do that far easier.

It's situation dependent- if they only have a character or two left, I'll definitely go orbs plus xf3 to seal the deal, but if I'm trying to do a full reverse OCV against a healthy team, I don't like the orbs approach- I wait until I get a hit and x-factor, kill them as quicky as possible, do a normal incoming mix-up (birds plus wallcling or whatever), and then if that fails, I use orbs to keep the pressure on. Against a healthy team, going orbs right away tends to leave me with x-factorless (and possibly meterless) Strider against the opposing anchor who is stocked with factor and a bunch of meter from their first two characters dying.

It's situation dependent- if they only have a character or two left, I'll definitely go orbs plus xf3 to seal the deal, but if I'm trying to do a full reverse OCV against a healthy team, I don't like the orbs approach- I wait until I get a hit and x-factor, kill them as quicky as possible, do a normal incoming mix-up (birds plus wallcling or whatever), and then if that fails, I use orbs to keep the pressure on. Against a healthy team, going orbs right away tends to leave me with x-factorless (and possibly meterless) Strider against the opposing anchor who is stocked with factor and a bunch of meter from their first two characters dying.

Yeah exactly. I wait to pop xf and orbs for as long as I can. In my opinion a 3 character comeback is hard with Strider against a competent player. I really really feel the need to kill one of those characters without my xf. If I have 5 bars though, I will use orbs (non xf) to kill off one character.

I've also in the last several months started to use xf2 + orbs + assist to kill off someones last character if they have a good anchor. Saving xf3 Strider orbs is just dangerous because if you don't guess right on that incoming mixup then it's a wrap. So now whenever I'm about to go up against anchor Vergil I just pop xf2 orbs and go in with my assist. Fuck playing guessing games with Vergil.

Dartastic

Yeah exactly. I wait to pop xf and orbs for as long as I can. In my opinion a 3 character comeback is hard with Strider against a competent player. I really really feel the need to kill one of those characters without my xf. If I have 5 bars though, I will use orbs (non xf) to kill off one character.

I've also in the last several months started to use xf2 + orbs + assist to kill off someones last character if they have a good anchor. Saving xf3 Strider orbs is just dangerous because if you don't guess right on that incoming mixup then it's a wrap. So now whenever I'm about to go up against anchor Vergil I just pop xf2 orbs and go in with my assist. Fuck playing guessing games with Vergil.
On the internet though? Let the lag do it's thaaaaang.

Azure J

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53164308]Haggar's forward plink dash is hilarious. GHRAAAH[/QUOTE]

Fuck that nigga. Newton's Laws of Motion: The Character is some serious bullshit.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53167818]Wow, I didn't know you could combo off of Skrull's 6H and Meteor Smashes with Bolts of Balthak. Pretty cool, and you get command grab mixups too![/QUOTE]
I preached that stuff earlier - it's good, but if your opponent is small they can duck under Bolts and punish (Ammy).

Well, now I feel bad. Day 1 Wolverine >>>>>> Viper then. :lol

GGs man, lag and rust is a terrible combination. I was so upset I lost so many games to SoV - XFC - SoV that the last few matches were just me trying to get the Doctor ASAP.

Are you on PS3? You can get that bad taste out of your mouth by bodying me. lol. I'm meh, but I know how to play a little.

Anyone else for that matter if they wanna play.

Zissou

What's the best way to combo in xf3 when you have orbs up as Strider? I've been half-assing it forever (ironically, I have a real non-orbs xf3 bnb, haha)

I've just been launching, L, qcf.L, and then doing the jump loop of j.M, j.H, qcf.L, land and repeat as many times as I can- sometimes it works fine and it does around a million damage really quickly, but sometimes the launcher to set up the loop doesn't work properly because of the randomness of the orbs' positioning and their projectiles interfering with things. What's the best way to combo consistently with orbs?

-
In other news, I'm still having a ton of fun learning Deadpool. He was the first character
I tried to main in vanilla, but the metagame was too harsh at the time (fuck you, vanilla beserker slash!) so I ended up dropping him.
Without vanilla Logan and Jean to hold him back, I'm getting back to playing him, and his buffs make him even better than he was before. The teleport management aspect reminds me of Dorm dark spells management, and working them into combos to reset the count is really rewarding. Also, landing fourth wall crisis on a vajra H-happy Strider... feels good man. Why does no one play this character again?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53196588]Couldn't most of the cast duck it?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but most of the cast can't actually punish the Meteor Smash safely, since the second bolt will hit them. You need a character that can stay small while comboing on the ground.

What's the best way to combo in xf3 when you have orbs up as Strider? I've been half-assing it forever (ironically, I have a real non-orbs xf3 bnb, haha)

I've just been launching, L, qcf.L, and then doing the jump loop of j.M, j.H, qcf.L, land and repeat as many times as I can- sometimes it works fine and it does around a million damage really quickly, but sometimes the launcher to set up the loop doesn't work properly because of the randomness of the orbs' positioning and their projectiles interfering with things. What's the best way to combo consistently with orbs?

Funny cause I'm the same. I can do a few different non xf orb combos. In xf3 I just press buttons and teleport a lot. It works 95% of the time, so I doubt I'll change it anytime soon.

Zissou

They do here and I fucking hate him >.>

Deadpool causes a unique brand of rage, I've found- haha. I've also been getting a lot of mileage out of his overhead cross-up. Thing has a ridiculous hitbox too.

Funny cause I'm the same. I can do a few different non xf orb combos. In xf3 I just press buttons and teleport a lot. It works 95% of the time, so I doubt I'll change it anytime soon.

Yeah- Wavedashing into somebody over and over while teleporting behind them every couple seconds seems to be unblockable- especially online. Real orbs combos do damage faster though, and good players will figure you out sooner or later and start blocking correctly post-teleport.

Solune

After my disgusting performance @ April Duels. I've been playing with teams for fun and I like X-23/Morrigan/Tron. Still experimenting with team order but it's alot of fun.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Would you guys have taken Maverick Hunter as a character in MvC3?

y/n

In the case of yes, what character would you replace?

Dahbomb

y/n

We have to replace a character? I mean it would obviously have to be on the Capcom side.

I don't think I can replace any character from the Capcom side for him. Maybe if Maverick Hunter gets a super armor hyper we can replace Hsien Ko with him.

Solune

y/n

Depends on what type of abilities "Maverick Hunter" has but if it was interesting then I would take him over Nemesis (even though he's fun)

onionfrog

y/n
Are you talking about this?
Unreleased Megaman X FPS: Maverick Hunter
If so, yes. I'd take any remotely Megaman related character at this point. Even Green Biker Dude...

Replace Frank West with a character people give a shit about.
Woah! Hold on a minute. Dead Rising is one of the best new IPs Capcom has released this generation.

y/n

Maverick Hunter as in that recently found cancelled FPS mega man game. Hell no, get the cobra commander wannabe out of here. Glad it never saw the light of day.

If you mean X? Meh classic and legends trump him hard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are you talking about this?
Unreleased Megaman X FPS: Maverick Hunter
If so, yes. I'd take any remotely Megaman related character at this point. Even Green Biker Dude...
Yes.

We have to replace a character? I mean it would obviously have to be on the Capcom side.

I don't think I can replace any character from the Capcom side for him. Maybe if Maverick Hunter gets a super armor hyper we can replace Hsien Ko with him.
So is this a yes?

I know people enjoyed the game but do people actually care about Frank West?
Yes, Dead Rising is one of Capcom's most successful new IPs this gen and people like the character enough to be excited about the DR2 DLC or whatever. Plus he's spawned a meme that still lingers to this day.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I think it's funny how he looks like Mel Gibson and that's about it.

I played ultimate marvel versus capcom 3 today in real life and I killed everybody.

onionfrog

I know people enjoyed the game but do people actually care about Frank West?

Yeah Frank is a great character, and very popular among fans of the series. They bitched so much about Chuck Greene being the protagonist in the second game that Capcom released an updated version of Dead Rising 2 with an Alternate storyline just to have Frank West playable in that game instead of Chuck.

I personally like Chuck more
I don't know if I liked him more, but I did like him as a protagonist and enjoyed his story in DR2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Who on earth would say yes to that piece of shit character design?
You know what else he did?

MVSC3_PACK_360_EU_RGB_V1.jpg

But generally, the rest of his art is really, REALLY good. I think he also designed the movie Iron Man and Nova. It really seems like a case of Capcom saying "hey we want this this and this, and make him blue and super gritty so we can call him Megaman and market him to CoD players."

You know what else he did?

But generally, the rest of his art is really, REALLY good. I think he also designed the movie Iron Man and Nova. It really seems like a case of Capcom saying "hey we want this this and this, and make him blue and super gritty so we can call him Megaman and market him to CoD players."
The same buffalo, eh?

Even on his site, it seems like he has some trouble with faces. His Scarlet Witch has the same kind of odd facial features Morrigan has on the game cover.

Azure J

y/n

NOPE.gif

Why Capcom didn't use Kinu Nishimura's art for MVC3's boxart is a mystery outside of that banal unsaid "no animu" rule Capcom had most of this gen when making things.

Top Bottom