• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

zon

Solune

Zissou

interesting. i was trying the clockwork loop midscreen and i was delaying the first j.m after launch.

do you let j.Ms do both hits or just one?
and do you relaunch with M or H after the tridash?

since i have doom 2nd, i think i can get the opponent into the corner then end it with H > tatsu assist > (rocks? or plasma beam) xx sphere flame for about a million. that is dumb damage.

Echoing jetman's response, I think you let the j.Ms hit twice, but honestly, I'm not sure. Doom is the one character I've been playing continuously since early vanilla, so I don't think about it much anymore (I can much more readily come up with combo notation for my shittier characters since I have to think about it more often). I'll check when I get home today (and I'll mess around with tatsu assist for combo extension at the end of a combo in the corner).

I relaunch after the tri-dash with st.H, S, but doing st.M, fwd.H works just as well- any damage difference between the two is miniscule. If you're worried you tri-dashed too slowly, OTGing with M is faster though.

LakeEarth

It doesn't always cause a hard knockdown if you've already used your wallbounce though

It causes a wallbounce and a hard knockdown. If the wallbounce is used up, you still get the hard knockdown. I'm absolutely sure of this.

EDIT - level 4 Frank, of course

Solune

It causes a wallbounce and a hard knockdown. If the wallbounce is used up, you still get the hard knockdown. I'm absolutely sure of this.

EDIT - level 4 Frank, of course

I'm going to try a combo later on today, I will tell you the notation, maybe I'm using the wrong chain saw version or something.

LakeEarth

The easiest way is to combo into a hard knockdown, then do his ground bounce (qcf+H), then his wallbounce (qcf+M), and qcf+M again. Then OTG with whatever.

onionfrog

Good Games SpyHunterZero!
Have you decided on a team yet? I think Taskermaster and Cap were your best characters out of the matches we played.

Is anyone else up for games on PSN?

Frantic

Hey man at least he got to play.
That's true. How much he got to play is another story. :p

I need to see if I can set up unblockable loops with my Taskmaster/Dante/Akuma team. I know there were some concepts floating around about unblockable loops with Taskmaster, but I don't think ever went anywhere.

Azure J

Two things:

1. I swear I've seen like a 5000% increase in Firebrands online today. News spreads fast.

2. Related:

BHhhKMVCQAAxGIP.jpg

Zissou

I love running into players online who latch onto the latest 'broken' team- they're usually awful. Moridoom players especially.

Solune

The easiest way is to combo into a hard knockdown, then do his ground bounce (qcf+H), then his wallbounce (qcf+M), and qcf+M again. Then OTG with whatever.

Ok so I was right but it happens after a certain amount of HSD. The combo I used is with a Level 5 Frank. I used Team Bee to make it easy on me.

Instant overhead j.M, j.M, j.H, c.M, s.H, S, j.M, j.M, j.H. QCF+L, QCF+L, S. Call Jam Session j.QCF+H, S, j.S, j.QCF+H, QCF+M (Wallbounce) , QCF+M (No hard knockdown)

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
So I think I may have found a way for Iron Man to get around his atrocious ground dash restriction but I'll need to test it more. If you dash and then instantly hit back and L, you can stop the dash early and go into blocking. If you double tap a normal like c.L or c.M, it comes out faster and closer then it would otherwise. This is potentially good because Iron Man's two lows are very good and he confirm into a combo from pretty far away.

I know DahBomb plays Iron Man here, so I'd like it if someone could test it and give me a second opinion on whether or not its useful.

LakeEarth

Ok so I was right but it happens after a certain amount of HSD. The combo I used is with a Level 5 Frank. I used Team Bee to make it easy on me.

Instant overhead j.M, j.M, j.H, c.M, s.H, S, j.M, j.M, j.H. QCF+L, QCF+L, S. Call Jam Session j.QCF+H, S, j.S, j.QCF+H, QCF+M (Wallbounce) , QCF+M (No hard knockdown)

On shorter combos, you still get the hard knockdown though:
Level 5 Frank: LMHS MMHS qcf+H qcf+M qcf+M (hard knockdown) camera shot hyper.

I'm not sure why this would be different for longer combos, I always thought hard knockdown times were consistent.

EDIT - okay I landed the combo you listed and you're right it doesn't work. But you don't get a soft knockdown, he air techs before he even reaches the ground. You still get the hard knockdown for the first wallbounce though. I don't know enough about the system mechanics to know what's going on.

Some experimentation.
Instant overhead j.M, j.M, j.H, c.M, s.H, S, j.M, j.M, j.H. QCF+L, QCF+L, S. Call Jam Session j.QCF+H, j.QCF+M (while jam session is still out get wall bounce), grounded QCF+M -> get the hard knockdown

Make it a bit longer:
Instant overhead j.M, j.M, j.H, j.M, j.M, j.H, c.M, s.H, S, j.M, j.M, j.H. QCF+L, QCF+L, S. Call Jam Session j.QCF+H, j.QCF+M (wall bounce), grounded QCF+M -> get the hard knockdown

Instant overhead j.M, j.M, j.H, c.M, s.H, S, j.M, j.M, j.H. QCF+L, QCF+L, S. Call Jam Session j.QCF+H, S, j.S, j.QCF+H, QCF+M (Wallbounce) , QCF+M -> No hard knockdown
(note that ending with 2 qcf+M's actually gives you ~30k more damage compared to qcf+M hard knockdown into dp+H, but since you flip out you don't get a chance to do your hyper ... EDIT - yes you do, check below)

Cutting this combo in half:
S, j.M, j.M, j.H. S Call Jam Session j.QCF+H, S, j.S, j.QCF+H, QCF+M (Wallbounce) , QCF+M -> get the hard knockdown

So yeah, it's the hitstun decay.

AFTER THIS I'M DONE I SWEAR:
Instant overhead j.M, j.M, j.H, c.M, s.H, S, j.M, j.M, j.H. QCF+L, QCF+L, S. Call Jam Session j.QCF+H, S, j.S, j.QCF+H, QCF+M (Wallbounce) DP+H into tools hyper : 883300
Instant overhead j.M, j.M, j.H, c.M, s.H, S, j.M, j.M, j.H. QCF+L, QCF+L, S. Call Jam Session j.QCF+H, S, j.S, j.QCF+H, QCF+M (Wallbounce) , QCF+M xx tools hyper: 919300

You don't get the hard knockdown, but you can catch them with the Tools hyper before they flip out. ~36K more damage (I can't guarentee that one combo didn't get 1-2 more extra hits from jam session than the other so I can't claim an exact damage difference)

There you go my friends, real time Marvel investigations.

Zissou

It's really bizarre that you lose the hard knockdown after too much HSD. I've never heard of/experienced anything of the sort in this game...ever. Frank-specific thing?

Dahbomb

FChamp outblocked Dark Vergil and Dark Orbs Strider 2 matches in a row.

Outblocking Vergil isn't that hard but man Strider's mix ups are way more complex and hard to see.

Solune

It's really bizarre that you lose the hard knockdown after too much HSD. I've never heard of/experienced anything of the sort in this game...ever. Frank-specific thing?

Vergil's Stinger always causes a wallbounce, if you're next to the wall that is. After a certain amount of HSD and Vergil is midscreen, the Stinger WILL NOT send the opponent to the wall even if he hasn't used a wallbounce yet.

Zissou

Vergil's Stinger always causes a wallbounce, if you're next to the wall that is. After a certain amount of HSD and Vergil is midscreen, the opponent WILL NOT send the opponent to the wall even if he hasn't used a wallbounce yet.

So HSD causes them to flip out before the actual hard knockdown or wallbounce effects take place? I guess that makes sense.

LakeEarth

So HSD causes them to flip out before the actual hard knockdown or wallbounce effects take place? I guess that makes sense.
It's weird that the hard knockdown still works for the first qcf+M, even after adding more HSD time with the second j.MMH rep to the beginning of the combo. Maybe once the wallbounce happens, the HSD is ignored.

I guess all that is important to know is what combos work and what don't.

Azure J

i hate fighting good firebrands. i'd much rather fight a good vergil over a good firebrand any day.
I had one person online who ran/runs Firebrand/Sentinel/Skrull and from that day forward it became one of the other teams I pick to beat on in training mode. Holy shit that snap loop is wrong. I feel IRL violated when it starts.

FChamp outblocked Dark Vergil and Dark Orbs Strider 2 matches in a row.

Outblocking Vergil isn't that hard but man Strider's mix ups are way more complex and hard to see.

It's really easy to block Orbs Strider as long as you pay attention to how close he is to you (the Strider ALWAYS wants a low), how close in proximity you are to the corner (the Strider will teleport and overhead or Excalibur for fuzzies, always block high then low), and how close you are to the walls of the current portion of the screen (Wall Cling - L on the wall is an overhead and pretty much how I always get opened up by Frantic lol).

Things I don't see people doing enough:

- Using Orbs to lock someone in place Strider-Doom style in the corner while chipping with Bird Bombs and Tigers'
- Firing about three or so orbs before a teleport so the push block puts you right next to them overhead.
- Wall Cling - small volley of orbs (incoming setup) - Wall Cling'd M xx Excalibur L to lock down the air above most character's jump height
- Double tap dashing with the stick to prevent orbs from firing and closing distance since there's nothing for them to pushblock/they get counterhit by orbs anyways.

JeTmAn81

Vergil's Stinger always causes a wallbounce, if you're next to the wall that is. After a certain amount of HSD and Vergil is midscreen, the opponent WILL NOT send the opponent to the wall even if he hasn't used a wallbounce yet.

Addendum, Vergil's stinger only wallbounces against airborne opponents.

I had one person online who ran/runs Firebrand/Sentinel/Skrull and from that day forward it became one of the other teams I pick to beat on in training mode. Holy shit that snap loop is wrong. I feel IRL violated when it starts.

I'd literally rather play against ANY other team than against a Firebrand team that is going to snap loop me. Just. Fuck that shit.

Solune

oops my grammar was terrible but yes, it never causes a hard knockdown, but the opponent will flip out like a regular attack before the wallbounce occurs if HSD is too high.

I think if Capcom is intent on keeping invincible assists out of the game, that single character unblockable attacks need to go to. Sorry Firebrand and C.Viper. At least against Dark Phoenix and Vergil and the like I get the "feel" of playing. I remember that bullshit Karst used to do with his Firebrand and Dormmamu. I'll never forget.

So Karst have you gone to any more locals lately. I was wondering how you were faring. I think I might go to the arcade tonight.

Frantic

(Wall Cling - L on the wall is an overhead and pretty much how I always get opened up by Frantic lol).
That's how I open everyone up, lol. Always cancel it into Excalibur L, so if you were out of range they'll run right into Face Dive(that beats almost everything).

It feels scrubby sometimes with how much I do it, but until people can actually start punishing it(which is possible, though pretty hard to do. Hell, some characters can't even punish it), I'm gonna keep using it. :p

Also, with Ouroboros out in XF3, try Wall Cling > Dive Kick > Excalibur L right over their head. Depending on when you do it, you'll sometimes dive in front of them, and sometimes you'll dive behind them. I never know which side I'm gonna end up on, so how could they? XD

JeTmAn81

That's how I open everyone up, lol. Always cancel it into Excalibur L, so if you were out of range they'll run right into Face Dive(that beats almost everything).

It feels scrubby sometimes with how much I do it, but until people can actually start punishing it(which is possible, though pretty hard to do. Hell, some characters can't even punish it), I'm gonna keep using it. :p

Also, with Ouroboros out in XF3, try Wall Cling > Dive Kick > Excalibur L right over their head. Depending on when you do it, you'll sometimes dive in front of them, and sometimes you'll dive behind them. I never know which side I'm gonna end up on, so how could they? XD

I would think that good players would start throwing Strider on reaction if you do predictable wall clings. However, I will have to try that next time I'm playing Strider.

Chris Gs Morrigan is a beast of its own.

Day before last. I drop combos like dumpster babies though.
I mean that if ChrisG gets opened up by Wolverine at the start of the round, Firebrand also has a chance.

I think if Capcom is intent on keeping invincible assists out of the game, that single character unblockable attacks need to go to. Sorry Firebrand and C.Viper. At least against Dark Phoenix and Vergil and the like I get the "feel" of playing. I remember that bullshit Karst used to do with his Firebrand and Dormmamu. I'll never forget.

So Karst have you gone to any more locals lately. I was wondering how you were faring. I think I might go to the arcade tonight.
You guys always make me feel so good. :p

I haven't gone to a local in 3 weeks because other stuff has come up. Monster Hunter 3U arrived 3 weeks ago, SSFIVAE arrived 2 weeks ago, and this week I was having so much fun playing MH3U with my wife that I just plum forgot. I'm definitely feeling a bit down about the game, since while I can win at a 50%+ rate at my locals, it's mostly due to Dark Phoenix. Morrigan is dead weight without an assist to help her out against a lot of the popular teams here (Wolverine/Doom, Wesker/Strider, Vergil/Magneto), so I'm kind of weighing whether I want to drop Morrigan or not. I'm considering running Firebrand/Dormammu/Hidden Missiles or Morrigan/Dormammu/Hidden Missiles.

Frantic

I would think that good players would start throwing Strider on reaction if you do predictable wall clings. However, I will have to try that next time I'm playing Strider.
Well, I never do it raw. It's always done with s.H > Wall Cling > Ladder Kick. As long as they're next to the wall, and you do the Ladder Kick on the first few possible frames, you can't be thrown. I've tested extensively, and I've never done it outside of a very delayed Ladder Kick. Pushblocking doesn't help any, either. Only way to punish it is to dash forward and anti-air, but that can be beaten with the Dive Kick. Or you can XFC the s.H and punish the Wall Cling, but I'd only do that against an XF3 Strider.

Dahbomb

Firebrand ain't gonna do shit against ChrisG. He might get a first hit here and there but if he drops a combo he will bail out Morrigan with either air hyper DHC or Shadow Servant DHC. Then he will start start his zoning and once that starts FB is done for.

Maybe Zak's FB can do some work but Apologyman's FB isn't at that level yet.

It would be super funny if ChrisG gets bodied by FB unblockable team and starts using it himself. That would be the fucking day man.

Azure J

Firebrand ain't gonna do shit against ChrisG. He might get a first hit here and there but if he drops a combo he will bail out Morrigan with either air hyper DHC or Shadow Servant DHC. Then he will start start his zoning and once that starts FB is done for.

Maybe Zak's FB can do some work but Apologyman's FB isn't at that level yet.

It would be super funny if ChrisG gets bodied by FB unblockable team and starts using it himself. That would be the fucking day man.

It'd just be Mihe at Final Round all over again. Firebrand theory teams start showing up and people are amused for the first two months then next thing you know everyone's pissed off at all the FB players all of a sudden. Meanwhile, Chris levels up MorriDoom again and takes Zak's shit in the run back, F.Champing him in the process.

Solune

Question for Karst or any Morrigan players,

How do I get the midscreen bnb to connect?

LMHf+H > j.MMH xx Soulfist xx flight ADDF j.H Soulfist xx flight > S.

It seems they are always out of range for the S... to make it easier on myself I've been adding j.M before the second Soulfist which seems to be working. Any tips?

Also should I be using Soulfist L or M?

Beats

It seems they are always out of range for the S... to make it easier on myself I've been adding j.M before the second Soulfist which seems to be working. Any tips?

I do Soul fist L for the first one then Soul fist H for the second. I think M makes the character fall differently than L, but I'm not entirely sure.

Frantic

Played a bit of Doom/Dante/Strider in order to unfraud my Doom so I can have a pocket Doom. I've relearned what I always knew. I cannot pilot Doom. The whole 'tridash as movement' thing just doesn't click with me.

Once again Jam Session makes me look less-fraudlike.

Use Soul Fist H.

You can add the j.M before the j.H if it helps you. You can also air dash forward and do j.MH, Soul Fist instead of going down if that works for you.

Zissou

Played a bit of Doom/Dante/Strider in order to unfraud my Doom so I can have a pocket Doom. I've relearned what I always knew. I cannot pilot Doom. The whole 'tridash as movement' thing just doesn't click with me.

Once again Jam Session makes me look less-fraudlike.

On the ground , use the Doom 'hop', i.e., move
by ground dashing fwd, jump cancelling it up fwd, and then air dashing down forward. It's fast and leaves you less vulnerable to random hypers and such since you can choose to block during anything that's not the down-fwd airdash (reverse all this for backward movement, of course). Apologies if you're already aware of this!

Frantic

On the ground , use the Doom 'hop', i.e., move
by ground dashing fwd, jump cancelling it up fwd, and then air dashing down forward. It's fast and leaves you less vulnerable to random hypers and such since you can choose to block during anything that's not the down-fwd airdash (reverse all this for backward movement, of course). Apologies if you're already aware of this!
Yeah, I know how to move, I just can't make him move. It feels very awkward, and I always manage to get a j.M or a forward airdash instead. >_<

Top Bottom