• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Solune

To be fair I wasn't whining nor did I ever say its too good. I just think its stupid conceptually for any character to have a loopable super no matter what place they are in the tier scale. But I know its all about labeling each other on the internet so I understand.

Ironically Yukiko can chain supers??

onionfrog

Speaking of Felicia, who are potentially her ideal teammates? Strider seems obvious,
which seems to suggest Felicia/Doom/Strider, but I'm not sure which kind of projectile assist the cat likes the best.
There are quite a few ideal teammates for Felicia. Generally I like to have a good horizontal assist and a good antiair assist.
Many horizontal assists work great, either fast ones like Hawkeye or Taskmasters Arrow assists, Doom's Plasma Beam, Arthur's Daggers, Unibeam.

Slower horizontal assists also work well, RR's Spitfire assist and Dr. Strange's Bolts have a gap between projectiles that you can fish for command grabs during.

For antiairs I usually just pick either Dante's Jam Session or run Strider with Vajra

Felicia/Hawkeye/Strider is my main team and it works quite well. Felicia can approach with ADK + Hawkeye assist and get a full combo off it if it hits, or continue pressure If blocked. Both characters get full combos off vajra assist. Plus I've got a Dark Anchor.

I think your idea of Felicia/Doom/Strider is also a very good team. I'd probably try it out if I ever learned how to use Doom.

This patch discussion in the FGW thread is giving me a headache. Why would you want to get rid of some characters loopable hypers? It's not even a problem, it requires burning lots meter and is usually pretty inefficient(meter wise). Who would want to nerf sentinel? It defies logic.

MGrant

Hey all, I'm trying to learn Spider-Man, but am having trouble getting in. The best options so far seem to be Web Zip j.S (land) s.MH xx Web Swing combos and raw web throws with assist coverage (I like Ammy's Cold Star or Doom Missiles for this) into combo. With Spider-Man's offense being so dependent on spacing, though, how should I be moving around and making the decision to attack throughout the match?

I'd love team advice, too. I'm liking Spidey/Doom/Skrull and Spidey/Doom/Amaterasu at the moment, with the former team better for combos (and has dat anchor Skrull) and the latter better at neutral offense and defense.

Dahbomb

They said characters with rapid fire normals can no longer rapid fire them on whiff. They specifically mentioned Magneto's s.L, and how he can just stand under someone and mash it to anti-air them. This change would remove that. Probably their best change, imo(the rest are kinda meh).
Well thing is that mashing those L's really puts a limit on some of the derpy stuff in the game. Mashing cr.Ls is sometimes the best way the catch teleporters or wave dashers for example.

Also Wesker's changes were listed too.

*Invincibility on counter hyper returned
*Maximum Wesker does not cross up

Can't remember anything else.

Ironically Yukiko can chain supers??

Chaining a super into a super is fine such as yukiko fire wall into the other super. Looping super isn't imo. Yes I know she can loop her fire wall, do I think its dumb? Yes.

I would be quite happy if they took away sent (and everybody's loopable super) and just buff him so that he didn't need to rely on something so stupid looking. Make him somewhat like mvc2 sent and I would play him all day. (I also hated AHVB, and sentinel forcexx spit xx sentinel force)

Well thing is that mashing those L's really puts a limit on some of the derpy stuff in the game. Mashing cr.Ls is sometimes the best way the catch teleporters or wave dashers for example.

Also Wesker's changes were listed too.

*Invincibility on counter hyper returned
*Maximum Wesker does not cross up

Can't remember anything else.

-8 launcher

Oh yes that too. Although to be honest if they are making that launcher unsafe then every launcher should at minimum be -7/-8.
I'm tempted to agree, but some launchers are useful as pokes, like Storm's and Dormammu's. I'd actually like to see launchers all be -3 or so on block. Difficult to punish, but you lose match momentum.

Sorry to derail the patch discussion, but do you guys think hawkguy would be a good anchor for a nova/missiles team? i'm currently using akuma at anchor.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53677566]Why Hawkeye? It seems like your team is begging for Strange.[/QUOTE]

i used to use hawkeye when ultimate first dropped so i'm pretty familiar with him.

i think i'm just being lazy to put in more training mode time into learning another new character (i just picked up doom in training mode), but i guess i can give him a shot.

FSLink

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53677566]Why Hawkeye? It seems like your team is begging for Strange.[/QUOTE]

I somewhat disagree since I feel Doom/Hawkeye is a stronger shell than Doom/Strange even if Doom and Nova can get some nice mixups off of Bolts, and Strange can get FoF loops off of missiles. They're both good options, but I feel that the Doom/Hawkeye shell is more reliable.

Good Games SpyHunterZero!
Have you decided on a team yet? I think Taskermaster and Cap were your best characters out of the matches we played.

Is anyone else up for games on PSN?

I don't really have a real team. The first team I used was just to get a warm up, though I don't know how to use Dante. The last two teams were my starting and permanent Vanilla Marvel teams, though I haven't played Deadpool/ Wesker in so long I forgot what to do with them. Frank does not work well online for me as I always mess up his moves a lot compered to offline which I really hate. But yeah GGs man, wish should play again some time.

Dahbomb

Lol what? Serirously...I mean no trolling seriously. Why?
Because Hawkeye has no real air options and can't really stall in the air. They talked about this for a while and even suggested that the Hunter arrow stall him in the air.

The Wall jump was so that he would have a way to avoid corner pressure.

onionfrog

Sorry to derail the patch discussion, but do you guys think hawkguy would be a good anchor for a nova/missiles team? i'm currently using akuma at anchor.
As an anchor, I'd put him in chip-damage tier along with Arthur, since that's mostly what you'll be relying on. If you opponent has already used their XF, he can keep them out and chip them out very well.
Despite that, he's not bad since you can catch someone with a random Gimlet and XF to confirm into a combo, he's also pretty good at fishing for air grabs. H->Net Arrow infinite in XF3 is nice too.
Another advantage is that a lot of people use Doom and Hawkeye beats Doom FREE!

onionfrog

Frank does not work well online for me as I always mess up his moves a lot compered to offline which I really hate. But yeah GGs man, wish should play again some time.
With Frank, you really want to use a team that is designed to get him to level 4/5 in one combo.( IE: Nova/Frank DHC, Skrull/Frank DHC, Frank/Dante Team Super, Frank/Deadpool Team Super.)

Sure, we'll play again some time. The connection should be better next time if I hook my system up wired. ( It was on wireless Internet last time we played)

Because Hawkeye has no real air options and can't really stall in the air. They talked about this for a while and even suggested that the Hunter arrow stall him in the air.

The Wall jump was so that he would have a way to avoid corner pressure.
Wall jump would be nice. Maybe even a double jump too.

Dahbomb

BTW they were testing out stuff like air dash and double jump on characters without one in H&H mode. Hawkeye was retarded with an air dash but completely fair with a double jump.

With Frank, you really want to use a team that is designed to get him to level 4/5 in one combo.( IE: Nova/Frank DHC, Skrull/Frank DHC, Frank/Dante Team Super, Frank/Deadpool Team Super.)

Sure, we'll play again some time. The connection should be better next time if I hook my system up wired. ( It was on wireless Internet last time we played)

I can get Frank up there to lvl 4/5, but I usually drop my start up combo or the launcher when I play online. I can lvl him flawlessly in offline mode though. Either way, I love my Frank, he's been my fav since TvC.

I don't know. I know Hawkeye not having a downward diagonal shot minimizes his bullshit, but it's still really hard for some characters to get in on him and it sounds like giving him a double jump (wall jump sounds okay) would make it even harder to get in. Maybe it's not game breaking or anything, but it still leaves me with a big "Why?" feeling.

I think every character should have one aerial mobility option, personally. If you look at the "low tiers", nearly all of them have no aerial options.

But this kinda destroys character individuality. Double jumps and air dashes would be special at all if every character had them. Plus for some characters it would break their gameplay making them too good. Then some characters like Hulk or Nemesis it just doesn't make too much sense them doing it. It should be good air mobility or good walk/dash speed any character lacking one of these is almost instantly low tier regardless of other strengths.

Poor Phoenix :(

I played somebody last night who actually asked me what the icons on the bottom of my side of the screen were for.

But this kinda destroys character individuality. Double jumps and air dashes would be special at all if every character had them. Plus for some characters it would break their gameplay making them too good. Then some characters like Hulk or Nemesis it just doesn't make too much sense them doing it. It should be good air mobility or good walk/dash speed any character lacking one of these is almost instantly low tier regardless of other strengths.
Objection! There are more options than double jumps and air dashes. For example, X-23 has a lot of aerial mobility options without any kind of air dash, and so does Wesker. You sir, need to bring better evidence to court!

Nemesis could fire his rocket launcher downward while "firing" himself in the opposite direction a bit. Hulk could get an aerial Gamma Charge that goes downward (if you think this doesn't make sense, remember that he can already Gamma Charge while mid-air as a follow-up).

Basically, every character just needs a little something to make running under them something that has a thought-based component to it. Not every character needs a Foot Dive, just something.

Dahbomb

It's not like they are giving every character a double or an air dash. Hawkeye jump is floaty as hell and it's easy as hell to rush him down when he's jumping around.

Karsts is right, mobility is a huge part of the game and characters without it are usually automatically low tier. I think it's fine that some characters have air dashes/double jumps and others don't but those other characters need something to overcome those lack of options... like dive kicks, aerial charging moves or other form of unique mobility. Double jump/air dashes are mentioned because they can easily be tested out in H&H. Obviously Hawkeye with an air dash was too broken so they didn't even entertain that idea but there was nothing really wrong with double jump after testing it out (in fact some argued that it just made him more vulnerable to rushdown).

The amount of characters with double/triple jumps is actually pretty low in the game. Less than 1/4th of the characters in the game have it. Off the top of my head:

Joe
Captain America
Chun Li
Dante
Deadpool
Sentinel
Trish
Arthur
C Viper
Strider
Akuma (demon flip sort of acts like a pseudo double jump but this is pushing it)

Compared to characters with air dashes:

Iron Man
Tron
Chun Li
Joe
MODOK
Trish
Dante
Amaterasu
Viper
Magneto
Storm
Doom
Dormammu
Phoenix
Morrigan
Spider Man
Skrull
Thor
Zero
Firebrand (sort of, it's a command air dash)
Nova
Rocket Raccoon (rocket skates sort of)
Hsien Ko
Shuma Gorath

Almost half the characters in the game have an air dash... and I didn't include Spencer who has a zip line, Felicia who has a horizontal delta kick, X-23 with her Talon maneuvers, Taskmaster with his aerial Spidey Swing, Wesker with his aerial teleports which work similar to air dashes or Vergil with his air dash in DT plus teleports.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
Here's the FGTV balance patch change list for those who are curious. This is from memory so it might be missing something.

Tron:

I missed this section.

Ghost Rider:

Can double jump
Has command throws at mid range (like Skrull)
Bike has proper invincibility
Can properly do MMHS and LMHS in air/ground

She Hulk:

Cr.L mashable again (they stated that no character should be allowed to mash cr.L on whiff or something)
Slide range increased
Lampost move start up decreased

Wolverine:

No more Fatal Claw loops
Damage from combos reduced by 10%. Pretty sure they meant standard BnB combo not scaling because Wolverine's values are already low.
No more Swiss Cheese or something.

Sentinel:

L Rocket Punch causes soft knockdown (no idea why they suggested this)
Health 1.1 million
No more Hard Drive loops
S and j.S cause block damage

Hawkeye

Proper chaining of normals given
F.M special cancellable
Double jump or wall jump

Phoenix

No change

Vergil

RT glitch removed
Spiral Swords have more start up/recovery, easier to punish
Helm Breaker cannot be cancelled to SHS or other special moves (if I remember this correctly)
Helm Breaker -1 on block
Hit boxes adjusted

Storm

Flight start up reduced
Lightning Sphere less start up, H version has semi tracking capability
Double Typhoon have much faster statt up
Whirlwind have faster start up (I think they suggested 10, 15, 20 start up)

What exactly was the context of this? Was it a wish list for what they want to see for the game? And are those the only characters they talked about?

Dahbomb

What exactly was the context of this? Was it a wish list for what they want to see for the game? And are those the only characters they talked about?
It was a wishlist thing of what they would like to see. They only chose 10 random characters (5 that needed buffs, 5 that needed nerfs). Wesker was the only other character on that list I didn't mention, his changelist is a few posts back. They will do the next batch of 10 characters next week.

For completion sakes, list of characters with a teleport:

Strider
Vergil
Dante
Wesker
Dormammu
Phoenix
Deadpool
Strange

Objection! There are more options than double jumps and air dashes. For example, X-23 has a lot of aerial mobility options without any kind of air dash, and so does Wesker. You sir, need to bring better evidence to court!

Nemesis could fire his rocket launcher downward while "firing" himself in the opposite direction a bit. Hulk could get an aerial Gamma Charge that goes downward (if you think this doesn't make sense, remember that he can already Gamma Charge while mid-air as a follow-up).

Basically, every character just needs a little something to make running under them something that has a thought-based component to it. Not every character needs a Foot Dive, just something.

I...I...well shit, you told me. Objcetion sustained! Your absoletly right. I wasn't thinking about it from that perspective. Then Dahbomb goes and post that truth list of characters that actually have air dashes and stuff. I lose today.

Now trying convincing Capcom of this. They obviously thought initially that all chraracters should have air dashes and then removed them. I remember reading stuff like how Seth Killian fought hard to make sure that Dr.Strange didn't have an air dash, even though Marvel wanted him to have one, but Seth thought he would be to powerful. I really don't see Strange being to powerful with one but I can tell at the very least a lot of thought went into each character's mobility option during development.

I...I...well shit, you told me. Objcetion sustained! Your absoletly right. I wasn't thinking about it from that perspective. Then Dahbomb goes and post that truth list of characters that actually have air dashes and stuff. I lose today.

Now trying convincing Capcom of this. They obviously thought initially that all chraracters should have air dashes and then removed them. I remember reading stuff like how Seth Killian fought hard to make sure that Dr.Strange didn't have an air dash, even though Marvel wanted him to have one, but Seth thought he would be to powerful. I really don't see Strange being to powerful with one but I can tell at the very least a lot of thought went into each character's mobility option during development.
I'm not sure if Dr. Strange needs an air dash. I'd rather make his spells not make him fall prone when used while jumping. That is a serious pain in the ass. I think that would be enough, too. Just let him superjump, toss a dagger out, and use it for cover while he comes down into a blockstring. Then fix his blockstrings, and I think you have a good character. IMO, having a teleport that can be used in the air counts for "aerial mobility".

Strange backed by Rapid Slash is seriously a top tier combination. It's almost impossible to get in on him.

Dahbomb

I like the in the air f+H Ghost Rider change. He has major problems with air to air zoning and that fixes it.

Those Tron changes are really underwhelming IMO.

Dartastic

Um. Not to excuse my terrible performance, but it's a lot harder to get around all of the things when you're online. P.S. Fuck Haggar. :/

onionfrog

IMO, they're skipping the most important balance act that needs to happen: assist distribution. Everyone shoudl have three good ones.
Not necessarily three, but I feel that each character should have 1-2 good(or great) assists.

As it stands now, some characters don't even have 1 good assist.

onionfrog

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53711637]Make 'em up![/QUOTE]
Give Ryu HadoHadoHadoken for an assist.
Also Felicia meter building assist pls.
As good as Dark Harmonizer

JeTmAn81

It was pretty bad. I didn't have much to keep you out with, and you'd just either jump in and grab me, or bop me with the pipe. Then I'd die. :/

Blargh.

Yeah, sounds like playing against Smurfx. Haggar has a million option selects into ToD combos, and Smurfx is extremely good at converting.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
So I'm like 90% sure that the back + L trick lets Iron Man cancel his ground dash faster and even gives him a real wave dash, I might just be crazy though.

Azure J

Chris with Magnum assist might make me invest in a Chris team. That gun is FAR too stronk. In better news, guess who has 4 months of Live? :D

I'll play anyone that wants to in a few hours though. My siblings are maxing out the family bandwidth tonight between Netflix and Youtube currently.

Top Bottom