• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53727249]GGs to Jetman! I was super excited when I got that Proton Cannon punish ^_^

Web Ball is awesome.[/QUOTE]

It got standard fireball five low durability points, no? What would you use it for- resets or something?

Dahbomb

Only thing Spider Man can get is a Web Throw assist. Full screen either Horizontal or Diagonal, gives your point character a full combo.

It got standard fireball five low durability points, no? What would you use it for- resets or something?

Web Ball is scary. So slow, stalking you across the screen. I was fighting a Wolverine using it a while back and man, I turned into that guy from the steamroller scene in Austin Powers.

Web Throw L, for sure.
Web Toss with extended durability (allow someone like Hawkeye to Web Toss + arrow and combo from full screen)
Spider Sting H with ground bounce extension (would make a good anti-air)
Spider Swing with tatsu priority that causes a wall bounce.

onionfrog

Web Throw L, for sure.
Web Toss with extended durability (allow someone like Hawkeye to Web Toss + arrow and combo from full screen)
Spider Sting H with ground bounce extension (would make a good anti-air)
Spider Swing with tatsu priority that causes a wall bounce.
I like the way you think! The last one is probably too much though.

JeTmAn81

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53727249]GGs to Jetman! I was super excited when I got that Proton Cannon punish ^_^

Web Ball is awesome.[/QUOTE]

Lol, apparently Iron Guy is massively unsafe when he does that! Your Mags was looking fresh but obviously crippled by lag.

What about Storm? Tracking and/or accelerated start-up whirlwind or something? Fair wind or foul wind?
Whirlwind H (seriously, why is it the M version?)

And then my Storm would have two edits made:
-Lightning Sphere ground enabled. Now also an assist with 9 projectile hit points (it pins for a bit, too!)
-New move: Lightning Call. Input dp.L/M/H to target a portion of the screen a la Purification. After 30 frames, a bolt strikes from superjump height down on the area called. Opponents struck by Lightning Call are placed in soft knockdown if in the air, and are crumpled if on the ground. Frame data is 5 frame startup, 20 frame recovery, but the move is special-cancelable (Lightning Call x Foul Wind, etc.). Only one Lightning Call may be in effect at once. Subsequent calls overwrite previous ones.
-Lightning Call is an assist with tracking properties.

Viewtiful Joe
Charged Voomerang L.
Bomb (after seeing how Royal Flush makes use of it, I'd like to keep it around to see if people come up with more things)
Viewtiful Dodge x Viewtiful Uppercut
Double Voomerang - Joe jumps in and throws Voomerang L at jump height, and then throws another Voomerang L as he lands.

Easy.

Nemesis too, I guess
-Shoulder charge attack (dunno it's name) causes wall bounce and has super armor on frame 1 like Hulk's assists.
-Rocket Launcher with tracking angles (excellent anti-air)
-I'll God's Beard it up and say add in his L command grab.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Wha? Double Special attacks are cheating. Why not have Morrigan throw 2 Soul Fists then? Or Hawkeye do jumping Triple arrow then a Piercing Bolt as he lands? All are too much.

Wha? Double Special attacks are cheating. Why not have Morrigan throw 2 Soul Fists then? Or Hawkeye do jumping Triple arrow then a Piercing Bolt as he lands? All are too much.
Hawkeye would be too much, but I like your Morrigan idea!

There are basically three kinds of projectiles in Marvel:
-Beams
-Fireballs
-Bullets/Arrows

The second kind is never used because fireballs travel slow and just aren't worth it. You need immediate pressure in this game. So, it makes sense to give Viewtiful Joe something extra to make his fireball worth using as an assist. Ditto with Morrigan.

Morrigan assists:
-Dark Harmonizer
-Shadow Blade H
-Soul Drain
-Soul Fist L, fly, Soul Fist H

Also, several characters already have double special attacks for assists - I'm not doing anything new here.

Don't tell anybody about my airdash down jL on incoming, k Jetman?

Whirlwind H (seriously, why is it the M version?)

And then my Storm would have two edits made:
-Lightning Sphere ground enabled. Now also an assist with 9 projectile hit points (it pins for a bit, too!)
-New move: Lightning Call. Input dp.L/M/H to target a portion of the screen a la Purification. After 30 frames, a bolt strikes from superjump height down on the area called. Opponents struck by Lightning Call are placed in soft knockdown if in the air, and are crumpled if on the ground. Frame data is 5 frame startup, 20 frame recovery, but the move is special-cancelable (Lightning Call x Foul Wind, etc.). Only one Lightning Call may be in effect at once. Subsequent calls overwrite previous ones.
-Lightning Call is an assist with tracking properties.

...are you just trying to turn Storm into your Theory Nina?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53733570]Don't tell anybody about my airdash down jL on incoming, k Jetman?

...are you just trying to turn Storm into your Theory Nina?[/QUOTE]
No, I just think that Storm's moveset doesn't reflect her health or her abilities. She's implemented pretty poorly in the game. Calling down lightning from the sky is like...Storm's thing. I just made it special cancelable because otherwise it would never get used in practice.

I still wouldn't use Storm with these changes, but I would use her if she got these changes and got the most important buff of all:
the removal of all Black Panther references.

They should get rid of Storm's flight mode, let her call assists during float and give her chip on her normals and three airdashes :)

OOH! And dash cancels on whiff!

Dark Harmonizer should give you less meter due to how nearly unpunishable the assist is. Meanwhile, Ammy and Frank's versions should give you more.
Dark Harmonizer needs to be very safe because it provides you with no neutral advantage, and you're sacrificing the neutral for it. Assuming assists got revamped across the board (meaning Morrigan has other good assists to choose from), I'm cool with Frank and Ammy's being brought up to her caliber. It's not a good idea to have Frank and Ammy's meter assists give you more, though, because Dark Harmonizer already refills 2/3 of a bar by the time Spiral Swords is over. You don't want to give that to Vergil permanently (or Zero, or Morrigan).

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53734035]They should get rid of Storm's flight mode, let her call assists during float and give her chip on her normals and three airdashes :)[/QUOTE]
I like it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53734548]Uggh, I wish Wolverine and Dr.Strange had faster raw tags :-(

I want my hyper grav raw tag combos...[/QUOTE]
You could DHC glitch to either one, right? Hyper Grav -> Strange, FotF loops?

You could DHC glitch to either one, right? Hyper Grav -> Strange, FotF loops?

Nope ^_^

I've considered Spencer/Magneto/Strange because I know how to use Hyper Grav assist to set up the Marlinpie infinite but it's SUPER HARD.

Speaking of, you can use hyper grav -> raw tag to Morrigan and do the uppercut infinite I think.

Zissou

Anybody willing to critique some matches of mine? I played a FT5 locally against a friend the other night: http://youtu.be/ofrusnPx5jg

My thoughts:
Match 1:
1:30- When Doom dropped out of the combo mid-DHC, I should have hard-tagged in Dante to save him.

Match 2:
2:46- I have no idea how Doom got bopped. I felt like an idiot for getting piped there.
3:17- Later when Dante was trapped in the corner against lvl4 Frank, I should've maybe looked to super jump and use killer bee or something to esape.
3:40- When I punished the random shopping cart hyper with reverb shock, rather than immediately going into million dollars, I should've devil triggered and gone into a full combo.
3:50- Dropped the birthday and cost myself the match :*(
4:40- I lose for sure when he has four meters stocked and punishes my vajra call with shopping cart hyper DHC into Arthur level 3. This is something I hadn't seen him do before (we play quite frequently), so I wasn't watching his meter to know that it was a possibility. He catches me with it again later.

Match 3:
6:05: I forget I used my ground bounce from the YOLO footdive earlier, haha
7:20: I should have gone into million dollars when I saw hysteric hit and ended the match right there. Oh well

Match 4:
9:15: Here's where he catches me with DHC into arthur lvl3 to kill strider. I should've been looking for it after he did it earlier.

Match 5:
10:42: I get b-dayed and more or less lose the match in the first 10 seconds. He gives me a chance by burning x-factor and failing to kill Doom.
11:36: I thought I heard an assist call so I did legion xfc legion try and punish- unfortunately it was a figment of my imagination it seems (not that I would kill an assist with that anyway- wasn't thinking to clearly)
11:47: Vajra H crosses up on hit so I fuck up the form B follow-up. Had a happy birthday chance right afterwards but dropped it.

Match 6:
13:30: I do legion too late and lose my chance of making any kind of comeback as I get punished by the forward recovery into combo.

Match 7:
14:17: Eat a pipe to the face for no particularly good reason.
15:13: Hammer into lariat... why do I do these things?

General observations:
We generally go fairly even or I edge him out when we play long sets. I was caught off-guard by his punishing of Strider assist in a way which I hadn't seen before which heavily tipped two matches in his favor. Part of a set against his team always involves luck due to his dependence on TACs to level Frank, but unfortunately, my RPS skills were not up to the task this time. It's difficult to make a comeback with Strider against his team because Haggar and Frank have so much health that even if I kill them both, if I can't get to Arthur before my x-factor runs out (which often happens), I get chipped out for free. It didn't help that I was dropping TONS of stuff. My friend isn't on GAF, but if anybody has any advice for him as well, I'll send it his way. Thoughts?

(also apologies for the somewhat poor video quality- I need to get a capture card or something)

I need to learn Tron. Seems like she's got some funny stuff going on with Magneto and Strange. Servbot rawtag into faltine loops!

edit: What's everybody's 3 preset teams? Here's what I'm learning:

Strider/X-23/Magneto aka Abysmal Ninja
Hawkeye/Vergil/Strider aka Fullscreen Fun
Wesker/Vergil/Magneto aka Phoenix Sucks :-(

I need to get on these Dr.Strange shenanigans, though. Dude is so much fun.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53739375]I'm mindfucked right now.[/QUOTE]

yeah didn't you know? Taskmaster can shoot arrows in many directions. Sometimes I feel locked down.
That sort of spam is not very comparable to tekken spam because in tekken it's usually very punishable/parryable/avoidable.

The kicker

DEATH™;53739951 said:
What he's saying is you can spam in Tekken, doesn't mean itwont be punishd HARD which makes spamming bad. Spam jabs, you get reversed/crushed, you spam launchr, you get punished, youstay turtly, you're gonna break against pressure.

My biggest gripe against Marvel is basically its imbalance that favos projectile-based chars. They are just too safe for their reward. Too bad no patch is coming...

you hear it here folks.

DEATH™;53742075 said:
Wolverine's not DAT good (which is open for another discussion somewhere)... Vergil yes, Dante I still think is... but it doesn't matter though... The ability to turtle in this game is too good with Morrigan that it's so safe in general. Those characters you mentioned are good, but they need to have sorts of opening (which is basically what Marvel is, revolving about capitalizing a big opening that you want). You set traps, setups to get that openings and react quickly in a fast-paced manner. But the problem is, it's nothing if your opponent doesn't screw up.

That's why Chris G's dominating the game. His team just have everything a turtle needs and in every fight it's his game to lose. If Japan really, and I mean REALLY got serious with this game, it will be a serious turtle fest with everybody scared of doing risks (especially in a almost if not already Touch of Death game) and I can see it coming soon in high levels of play.

These quotes... Now I understand.

Zissou

These quotes... Now I understand.

What the hell is he talking about? Marvel is a game where you need your opponent to screw up to get an opening?? There are so many unreactable mix-ups where you just have to flat out guess which way to block if you are unfortunate enough to put yourself in a position to get hit by the mix-up in the first place. You can't turtle in Marvel against anybody decent. The weird weeaboo Japan worshiping is the icing on the cake.

What the hell is he talking about? Marvel is a game where you need your opponent to screw up to get an opening?? There are so many unreactable mix-ups where you just have to flat out guess which way to block if you are unfortunate enough to put yourself in a position to get hit by the mix-up in the first place. You can't turtle in Marvel against anybody decent. The weird weeaboo Japan worshiping is the icing on the cake.

and these tekken-fans... can't read quotes rofl

Dahbomb

Most of the top tiers in Marvel are those who can both rushdown and zone. Only exceptions within the top 15 are Wolverine and Hawkeye although Hawkeye has some limited rushdown.

People are going to spam stuff when it's hard to punish. The Tekken guys are right, you can't spam for shit in those games because you will be punished for it. In Marvel it's very hard to punish Morrigan AV Soul Fist spam or Hidden Missiles spam or Magneto filling your face with Magnetic blasts. In most cases this is not the case, a lot of the zoning in this game is unsafe and unavoidable it's just Missiles that once again fucks up everything and makes the game spammy.

If Japan/Korea took the game as seriously as US did they would give us a run for our money. They already showed that they adapted to UMVC3 much faster than the US (US was on Wesker's cock while in Japan most players were running Vergil anchor super early). The competition isn't there, you don't see Daigo or Momochi cracking out for 15 hours on end. Very few in Japan even play it relative to how many play SF4.

Tokido takes it seriously but he has only a handful of players to practice against plus online which he does. He has no experience against American Wolverines and it shows. Hell no country outside USA has experience against high level Wolverine and they all get bopped by him. I don't know a single top player outside USA who specializes in Wolverine.

Most of the top tiers in Marvel are those who can both rushdown and zone. Only exceptions within the top 15 are Wolverine and Hawkeye although Hawkeye has some limited rushdown.

People are going to spam stuff when it's hard to punish. The Tekken guys are right, you can't spam for shit in those games because you will be punished for it. In Marvel it's very hard to punish Morrigan AV Soul Fist spam or Hidden Missiles spam or Magneto filling your face with Magnetic blasts. In most cases this is not the case, a lot of the zoning in this game is unsafe and unavoidable it's just Missiles that once again fucks up everything and makes the game spammy.

If Japan/Korea took the game as seriously as US did they would give us a run for our money. They already showed that they adapted to UMVC3 much faster than the US (US was on Wesker's cock while in Japan most players were running Vergil anchor super early). The competition isn't there, you don't see Daigo or Momochi cracking out for 15 hours on end. Very few in Japan even play it relative to how many play SF4.

Hidden Missiles and Morrigan is the exception, not the rule. You can't spam in tekken against a good player, just like you can't spam in marvel (minus exceptions). You can't rely on just one trick in marvel.

If we're talking midlevel of both games, then spam isn't an issue in either games for the most part. If we are talking low level then spam works in both games. At high level spam doesn't work. Zoning works but thats not because its spam.

Dahbomb

Hidden Missiles plus most good zoners in the game = Spammy

Not as much as Morrigan but still not a lot of thought process required in using your best projectile while missiles are active and locking someone in position. I mean Dieminion locking someone down with Charged Voomerangs from full screen away is "spammy" play.

There is no fighting game made where you can win on 100% spam (ok sometimes MorriDoom is dangerously close at times but even then that is calculated and requires work). Another close example is spamming j.HP with Storm in MVC2 to build meter then spam Hailstorm while spamming invincible assist. Zoning was easier in MVC2 and rushdown was harder compared to MVC3 generally speaking.

FSLink

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53738118]edit: What's everybody's 3 preset teams? Here's what I'm learning:[/QUOTE]

I use most of the cast, but right now my presets are:

Wesker/Dormammu/Dr. Strange
Zero/Hawkeye/Vergil
Nova/Spencer/Dr. Strange

Azure J

So if anyone's interested in seeing me get bopped along with what I consider Best_Game_Ever_Revengeance.gif material - http://www.twitch.tv/evildante744/b/390155099

2:09:00 is when the matches start and you can see me awkward my way through Viper neutral online. I'm up again sometime around 2:16:00 although it's not much better. 2:27:00 however has the single funniest near end match moment for me in the history of me playing/watching this game.

I wish I could recommend more, but it was just a terrible downward spiral into insanity after that.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53738118]edit: What's everybody's 3 preset teams?[/QUOTE]

Viper/Dante/Strider - White
Viper/Dante/Strider - Red (Because Claire Viper is cool)
Viper/Dante/Strider - Blue (Because I'm Azure J)

Vice

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53738118]
[/QUOTE]

Nova/Hawkeye/Strider
Nova/Dante/Strider
Cap/Taskmaster/Doom

Thinking about picking this game up, but I am concerned about how I am going to fare against the professionals of the community and I heard there are a lot of them. I was pretty good at MVC3 I suppose, so that is why I am debating if I should even mess with this game. I'll probably cave in and get it soon, but I would imagine that I will have to practice in this ALOT to even put up a decent fight since I could be jumping in so late lol.

SmokeMaxX

Thinking about picking this game up, but I am concerned about how I am going to fare against the professionals of the community and I heard there are a lot of them. I was pretty good at MVC3 I suppose, so that is why I am debating if I should even mess with this game. I'll probably cave in and get it soon, but I would imagine that I will have to practice in this ALOT to even put up a decent fight since I could be jumping in so late lol.

For a lot of people it's worth it. If you want to beat pros in the near future, you probably shouldn't pick up any game. If you just want to have a good time and get better, this is a game that you can enjoy.

JeTmAn81

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";53738118]I need to learn Tron. Seems like she's got some funny stuff going on with Magneto and Strange. Servbot rawtag into faltine loops!

Strider/X-23/Magneto aka Abysmal Ninja
Hawkeye/Vergil/Strider aka Fullscreen Fun
Wesker/Vergil/Magneto aka Phoenix Sucks :-(

I need to get on these Dr.Strange shenanigans, though. Dude is so much fun.[/QUOTE]

Only three presets? That's for chumps who only own the game on one platform! I think right now I have Wesker/Dante/Strider,Magneto/Vergil/Doom, Hulk/Dormammu/Doom, Wolverine/Doom/Ammy, Haggar/Taskmaster/Hawkeye (dat Smurfx). I have been playing the Wolverine team the most lately,primarily on Vita.

Top Bottom