• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
My favorite is "Throwing arrows at Doom is like throwing pebbles at a Hurricane". Mostly because it's a go damn lie. Though maybe if you do beat Hawkeye as Doom you deserve that.

I took a look at some of the win quotes for SFxT, and god damn they blow the UMvC3 ones out of the water.
Share some great ones.

I think that UMvC3 has a wide range of quality. Some are incredible (Shuma-Gorath proposing to Hsien-ko?), others are awful ("C'mon Ammy, we need to get back to the village!").

Solune

I'd have liked it if Capcom tried to keep more vets or Marvel VS. debut characters in while grabbing series members that weren't in a VS before. [/excuse to see a 2011-12 CapCom, Jin Saotome, Ruby Heart and of course Megaman with something Breath of Fire and Power Stone/Rival Schools]

Otherwise, this was a pretty cool roster. I almost hope that Viper never leaves the VS. series even though I know she's probably first on the chopping block (as a character coming from the current era which will be replaced by MVC4's current era SF member).
I agree, too many franchises without representation and veterans not getting spotlight is a crime. Hell I'm upset that character from TvC didn't make the transition considering they had alot of assets already done...
If this had remained the same, the Dante/Ammy shell would be fucking amazing right now and Dante/Ammy/Strider would be my legit second team.

Yup and it also leads to more character variety. Although Jam Session would be even more dumb than it already is so... I suppose there's a tradeoff somewhere but it's just the inconsistency between assists that causes the gap. Hell if more characters had better assists, I guess I wouldn't even complain about it!

Wow those SFXT are so vast. So many unique lines.

M. Bison - Win Quote vs. Chun-Li All you women ever do is whine! I killed my father too, and you don't see me crying about it!

Holy shit! YES!

I just registered for EVO and even put a NeoGAF || before my name, lolz.

I'll try to unscrub the dirt I've accumulated. Need to polish up the Captain and WebFace. Maybe even Shellhead and ze Doctor (who is no fun outside of having Missiles attached to him or playing Strider with him). Possibly X-23 again too, she's so fun but I don't feel like learning the characters she needs to be well supported.

Any other cats showing up? Don't know how good I'll be, I want to focus moreso on Vegas this time around.

Dahbomb

FChamp about to do Marvel balance change discussion part 2 in about an hour. Spam the chat for changes you guys want to see in.

Remember this is for fun so please don't start with the "BBBBut Capcpcom isn't patching the game anymore.... This is stupid and a waste of time!"

Azure J

FChamp about to do Marvel balance change discussion part 2 in about an hour. Spam the chat for changes you guys want to see in.

Remember this is for fun so please don't start with the "BBBBut Capcpcom isn't patching the game anymore.... This is stupid and a waste of time!"

AKA this is a no Beef zone.

Kappa

Frantic

I'm unfortunately not going to participate in the FGTV balance changes. I can't stomach hearing Magus talk about balance after last time. I think Champ and ShadyK(especially ShadyK) are pretty reasonable with their changes, but Magus... ugh.

Also, for Zissou(and any other Dante player, really). My brief summary of most of Dante's moves in the neutral. Doesn't get into the really subtle details of each, but it should give you a decent idea of when/where/how to use them - at least the most useful moves, anyways.
  • Multi-Lock: Strong against low mobility characters, or characters with slow full-screen options. It is also strong against characters that prefer to stay in the air, such as Dr. Doom, Firebrand, and MODOK. I'd recommend using it against Doom, MODOK, Frank West, Haggar, Nemesis, Trish, and occasionally Zero whenever they try to superjump. Pretty much useless against characters with fast fullscreen projectiles/assists, or fast mobility ala Wolverine due to its slow startup.
  • Acid Rain: Strong against any character that decides to super jump and didn't call an assist. If you see anyone super jump without an assist on the ground, throw it out, and they're forced to respect it as they come down. Works pretty much against any character. Other that that, Acid Rain after a successful Jam Session is unavoidable and forces the other character to either eat a mixup, or escape.
  • Crystal: Works best against ground based characters, but has situational anti-air properties. Characters like Wolverine, X-23, Jill, Felicia, Iron-Fist, Haggar, and Nemesis are some that have the biggest trouble with Crystal. Its anti-air properties means jumping doesn't work against it, either. The slow startup however means a fast assist like Disruptor can stuff it on startup, and depending on where the other character is can be stuffed if they're fast. Additionally, a mostly ground based character like Wesker can stuff Crystal easily with a gunshot, making it less useful in that matchup. Using Crystal in the corner after a s.M or s.H is a frametrap that also locks down for additional pressure.
  • Million Carats: Mostly useless in the neutral. Decent anticipatory anti-air against dive-kicks, but has very limited uses. You can use it to set up a safer DT DHC since it stays out for a while, and can protect the point character as well. An additional use is that it can beat out Spencer's who like to horizontal grapple + assist due to its medium durability. Anticipatory reaction rather than just a raw reaction, but still viable.
  • Hysteric: Works best against projectile less characters, or characters with slow/not very good projectiles. Can be considered a counterpart to Crystal. Slower, but more versatile. It's much more prone to being stuffed by assists(save for Disruptor, where one missile of Hysteric can beat it out as an assist, for whatever reason), but limits characters even further. Additionally, you can use it against all super-jumping characters to badger them as they come down.
  • Grapple: Its only use is, probably, anticipatory raw tags from full screen(namely after a super), but that's only on scrubs really. Also decent against Wesker's who have a very obvious gunshot pattern, but otherwise useless in the neutral.
  • Twister: Primarily used at the end of Million Dollars for extreme chip, but its ability to absorb non-beam projectiles helps in making assist calls safe, or just for stalling projectiles. Not a whole lot of use, otherwise. Tempest is basically the same.
  • Volcano: Not a smart move to use in the neutral. It's got a massive hitbox, destroys low and medium durability projectiles, and it's got ten active frames all marred by its horrible recovery on whiff. It's honestly one of Dante's strongest anti-airs, and can beat out a lot of stuff, but its lack of jump cancel on whiff means it can't safely be used.
  • Jam Session: Very strong against aerial characters, and anyone trying to approach from super jump height. Just be sure to get used to its forward momentum to prevent misses.
  • Reverb Shock: Very versatile move, and doesn't really need much to explain its uses. Good anticipatory use for rushdown characters, has a very strong anti-air hitbox(it beats Foot Dive and Helm Breaker clean), and mostly safe(as long as you don't whiff/don't get fireworks).
  • Revolver: Has situational use, and it can be a hard-to-stuff anti-air... but you don't want to use it too much as projectiles beat it clean. It's best to use against normal jump height characters.
  • Jet Stream: Its only neutral use is to escape corner situations when someone jumps. It's also kind of funny to use it against Spencer + Bolts characters to duck under bolts and horizontal grapple, and just completely negate their attempt to rush you down.
  • Killer Bee: An okay dive kick that can catch people off guard since it moves forward. Most people expect it you to go straight down with j.S/Hammer, so moving forward can take them by surprise. Very punishable if chicken-blocked. I'd recommend canceling into Devil Trigger whenever you use it to have as much frame advantage as possible. It's also a semi-decent escape.
  • Hammer: Best used in the mid-range game against rushdown characters. It's less of a move to throw out at random, and more of a move to throw out in anticipation of offense. Works for just about any character, outside of armor characters. If a character has a strong, mashable anti-air(Magneto, Nova, Spencer) and has you in the corner, throw out Hammer on your way down.
  • Air Play: Use it. A lot.
  • Charged Air Play: It's best against characters that want to zone you. Hawkeye, Doom, Trish, Taskmaster, Chris, Morrigan and the like.
  • Sky Dance: Don't use it, except maybe against teleport happy Dante + Vajra users.

Note on Killer Bee: you can also change Dante's direction with it. Whenever a Dante player goes into j.S I think I'm being all smart by doing behind him, and then he hits me anyway.

I'll try to unscrub the dirt I've accumulated. Need to polish up the Captain and WebFace. Maybe even Shellhead and ze Doctor (who is no fun outside of having Missiles attached to him or playing Strider with him). Possibly X-23 again too, she's so fun but I don't feel like learning the characters she needs to be well supported.

Any other cats showing up? Don't know how good I'll be, I want to focus moreso on Vegas this time around.

Dude, we TOTALLY need to have irl matches in July.

Azure J

Frantic, regarding Twister, also note that there's a very real reset into a (highly scaled, but good for conserving meter or looping Million Dollars on someone who presses buttons on wakeup) combo if Twister confirms on someone in the corner after a Twister xx Tempest.

Twister xx Tempest - s.MS - j.MH - Killer Bee - whatever ending

Frantic

Frantic, regarding Twister, also note that there's a very real reset into a (highly scaled, but good for conserving meter or looping Million Dollars on someone who presses buttons on wakeup) combo if Twister confirms on someone in the corner after a Twister xx Tempest.

Twister xx Tempest - s.MS - j.MH - Killer Bee - whatever ending
Yeah, I know. I forgot to mention the chip setup in the corner that can lead to combos on hit/someone trying to raw tag.

I might, I might not. 2011 was the best!

That's the problem with x-23, she's a mid-tier character whose best support characters are also mid tier.

Zissou

Frantic said:
informative post

Thanks for all the info. Certain moves, like multilock and acid rain which seemed kind of useless in the neutral game before, sound better than I thought based on your post- I need to use them more. I know against super jumping opponents, you can get a combo from a successful jam session hit plus vajra, but I wonder if you can accomplish a less scaled version with mutlilock plus vajra, assuming you have time to get the multilock out... I also hadn't considered twister for a chip option- it really does that much damage on block?

Frantic

Thanks for all the info. Certain moves, like multilock and acid rain which seemed kind of useless in the neutral game before, sound better than I thought based on your post- I need to use them more. I know against super jumping opponents, you can get a combo from a successful jam session hit plus vajra, but I wonder if you can accomplish a less scaled version with mutlilock plus vajra, assuming you have time to get the multilock out... I also hadn't considered twister for a chip option- it really does that much damage on block?
Does about 45k all told, but the thing about it is that it covers air and ground, and front, back and neutral techs. Jam Session doesn't cover front techs very well, and I'm pretty sure it's more prone to being stuffed by raw tags. Reverb Shock doesn't cover front techs or air techs very well, and often times you get Multi-Lock if they do, which is instant death. Doing Twister ensures no matter what option they take you chip them, and if they cross up before you can finish inputting it, you get auto-correct Reverb Shock to chip them out. Plus, it gives a combo on people mashing. Hell, if you're expecting an invincible reversal(that isn't someone like Haggar), you can go straight into Tempest to ignore most of them(namely Bionic Arm). I've done that a few times, and it's always hilarious.

As for Multi-Lock > Vajra. It can work, but it's generally too slow to be of any use. Jam Session + Vajra is much quicker, and much less risky.

Dahbomb

FGTV completed it's 2nd day of suggested Marvel patch changes:

SYSTEM CHANGES:

*Cannot mash chain cr.L/st.L on whiff.
*Tech window on grab increased from 7 frame to 10 frame.
*Cannot use diagonals to option select air throws, only f or b plus H.
*XFLVL2 and LVL3 values decreased slightly.
*Damage all across the board reduced (lots of debates over these, they left this open to interpretation)
*No more TAC infinites.
*You have an unlimited amount of changes to break TACs (this change is prevent people from TAC glitching you into a free TAC)
*Successful TAC resets HSD to 0 but builds back up in the air as normal.
*TAC counter window increased, easier to react to and counter.

They touched upon the stacking element of utility hypers plus XF (ie the Vergil syndrome) and said that it should add up normally instead of multiplicative but they never jotted down or discussed it further.

Strider:

I have no idea what they ended up with but they went back and forth with him a lot. There was a lot of debate on whether to buff his point capability but nerf his anchor role but they settled for keeping his role.

They also had big debates on how to change Vajra. Stuff ranged from being able to combo after it from all characters (more window to juggle) but no hard knockdown, more recovery or more start up, less tracking, less block stun etc. I don't know what they ended up with.

Health was suggested to 850K. Damage scaling increase was suggested up to 10% along with a XF3 nerf on his speed. Everyone agreed that his Legion hyper needed buff, more specifically the speed and durability on the animal projectiles. There were no changes suggested to his toolset and I don't think he needed it either, he was a complete character just needed tweaking on some of his values and his assist.

Hsien Ko:

*Faster air dash
*Faster jump speed (they tested these in H&H mode)
*Gong assist replaced with H version
*Gongs travel further
*Pendulum cancellable into air dash and specials
*Basically make her overall faster and equivalent to XF level speeds

Ryu:

*Lots of debates over the explosive fireball. It being able to OTG was suggested along with having high durability and less start up time or him being able to combo after it from full screen. I think they settled on more durability/less start up. The best suggestion that they never really entertained for a while was being able to air the fireball after charging it in mid air because that with OTG would allow him to combo after an air throw and is a much needed change.
*The multi fireball was suggested to have more range but they never jotted it down.
*Denjin Mode time increased from 7 seconds to 15 seconds.

Trish:

*Less start up/recovery on her Voltage attacks, more durability.
*Round Trip has more durability and is faster
*LVL3 can now OTG
*Knockdown time after ground throw increased to allow her time to LVL3 OTG

Still has no way to combo after air throw.

Iron Man:

*HAS AN ACTUAL WAVE DASH NOW
*Different versions of Smart Bombs have different trajectories (ie. L Smart Bomb is closer to his body and H version is further away)
*Cr.H goes more straight and full screen
*ShadyK suggested better recovery on his Unibeam but they didn't jot it down
*Better hit box on Iron Avenger but they didn't write it down

No discussion on his terrible tri-dash or his Proton Cannon but I will take what I can get.

Deadpool:

*Soft knockdown after 3 teleports suggested but not jotted down
*Trigger Happy H assist changed with M version
*Talked about LVL3 not being ass and not having a pre-flash that can be reacted to. Didn't jot it down.

Really skimped out on Deadpool, did nothing about his teleport knockdown or his LVL3 and instead just settled for buffing his assist.

*You have an unlimited amount of changes to break TACs (this change is prevent people from TAC glitching you into a free TAC)
How are people not going to just mash S in circles to escape TAC attempts now? That's the point of the 15 frame breathing period.

Dahbomb

How are people not going to just mash S in circles to escape TAC attempts now? That's the point of the 15 frame breathing period.
But people already mash S in a circle to break out of TACs...

Basically their point was that if someone attempts the glitch on you or try to fake a TAC you should be able to react/counter both of them. I don't think their solution was fully thought out but they had the right idea on what the problem was.

But people already mash S in a circle to break out of TACs...
Um, no. That is a stupid way to do it, because you are removing any sense of mind you might gain over your opponent in your guess. I don't know anyone who does this except for noobs that think it helps them break out.

Dahbomb

Mind gained over opponent? What does that mean?

Anyway I mash S to break TACs like a scrub against unknowns but against people whose tendencies I know I make legitimate guesses. Still though there is no mind share gained from winning TACs, it's like winning in RPS.

Mind gained over opponent? What does that mean?

Anyway I mash S to break TACs like a scrub against unknowns but against people whose tendencies I know I make legitimate guesses. Still though there is no mind share gained from winning TACs, it's like winning in RPS.
Read "sense of mind" as one thing.

Everyone mashes S, but not while rotating the stick. That's the dumb part.

I like the idea of a time increase on Denjin mode, but maybe not that long. They need more specifics on Lei Lei. Dudes need some VSav in their lives.

I got a new blue zombie in my life and I don't have to worry about her going back to abusive balancers.

It's a fresh new start, dawg.

On a serious note. I want the specifics targeted, but this was just mental masturbation. I know nothing will come of these lists.

Frantic

Meh changes all around, imo. Though I do like the idea of Duet Pain OTG'ing. I feel that they just don't understand a lot of the other characters well enough to list out proper changes for them. Still neat to get a 'top player' opinion on balance changes, and something to talk about at least.

On a random note, I've sorta got the timing down for plink dashing! I was just messing around in training mode while the FGTV thing was going on, checking the thread every few minutes, and I just tried plink dashing and I got it like ten times in a row and I was like "wat". Still inconsistent, but I've gotten an idea for the rhythm of button presses. Probably won't use it for backwards dashing(I still feel that backwards wavedashing is more 'accurate' in that you're controlling it in its entirety rather than just pushing the buttons.), but will definitely use it for Trish flying around.

SmokeMaxX

Not gonna lie. I wouldn't mind if Iron Man was the only character in the game who kept his TAC infinite (can modify hitstun to allow this) but make scaling go wayyyyyyy down (~5% tops at max scaling) and maybe require the dashes that Danke was doing at the end of his style infinite. That way it's harder, it gives an incentive to use Iron Man, and it's a homage to MvC2.

Azure J

Sometimes I love the closet Dantes in stream chats. Darksonicwave has given me an idea to play with in using the first hit of c.H as a special cancellable "Stinger Jr." kinda poke. I am so eager to test this, but I don't have ideas on how to train with it.

Any ideas?

Zissou

Sometimes I love the closet Dantes in stream chats. Darksonicwave has given me an idea to play with in using the first hit of c.H as a special cancellable "Stinger Jr." kinda poke. I am so eager to test this, but I don't have ideas on how to train with it.

Any ideas?

It's supposed be to useful because cr.H is cancellable on whiff (unlike stinger) into specials (and would leave you able to bold block too)? Also, is cr.H that much better than cr.M? I've never tested/compared their ranges but cr.M seems really good. Hmm...

Azure J

It's supposed be to useful because cr.H is cancellable on whiff (unlike stinger) into specials (and would leave you able to bold block too)? Also, is cr.H that much better than cr.M? I've never tested/compared their ranges but cr.M seems really good. Hmm...

I guess what I'm really thinking is how to illustrate the usefulness of the move and thus make a training regimen on when to mix it into neutral situations trying to poke things Marth style.

Zissou

I guess what I'm really thinking is how to illustrate the usefulness of the move and thus make a training regimen on when to mix it into neutral situations trying to poke things Marth style.

Dante has a lot of good pokes though- why use cr.H over other options? Regular stinger has crazy range and can go through projectiles. Cr.M has good range and hits low. Reverb shock is really quick (by Dante standards) and has its place in your arsenal too. Maybe I'm missing something?

Azure J

Just variety really.

Also:

ibcNUdp4ADljel.jpg

Top Bottom