• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I live in Vancouver and I got blown up by Mago ;_; @ april duels. If I ever visit Chicago I'd give you a shout :lol.

Anyways I believe instead of doing dash up launch, you can actually do Mystic Stare first THEN dash up, do your air series into Mystic Smash, > relaunch. ^_^.
Did you actually check it, or is this just theoretical? Just knowing that s.H will hit opens up a lot for me to look at. I kept trying to dash up with s.L or s.S and whiffing.

I'm moving out of Chicago in a few months. I...do not like it here. I'll still be at UFGT9 if you plan on going (or anyone else here).

Would you honestly think that if Wright was like this ( I mean infintie TB) that he would even be better than Phoenix still? Better than characters like Magneto and Vergil? Even just high tier? I still don't think he would be to the masses. TB mode is awesome but it's not unstoppable in it's current state.
When you get Turnabout mode against me, I have two plans:
1) Random hypers to burn Wright down.
2) Run away until the timer is gone.

I haven't had success with actually beating you in the neutral with Turnabout up.

Zissou

They should let Wright start picking up
evidence before the match starts. Zero gets to charge his buster, so why the hell not.

Solune

Did you actually check it, or is this just theoretical? Just knowing that s.H will hit opens up a lot for me to look at. I kept trying to dash up with s.L or s.S and whiffing.

I'm moving out of Chicago in a few months. I...do not like it here. I'll still be at UFGT9 if you plan on going (or anyone else here).

It was theoretical but , once I have time tonight I'll investigate more combos. I'm being bombarded everywhere :lol.

Dahbomb

Would you honestly think that if Wright was like this ( I mean infintie TB) that he would even be better than Phoenix still? Better than characters like Magneto and Vergil? Even just high tier? I still don't think he would be to the masses. TB mode is awesome but it's not unstoppable in it's current state.
If he got permanent TA mode after getting all his evidence he would be closer to Frank West tier. If his assists were better he would be around Frank West tier as well.

If he started with TA mode and kept it forever then he would be top tier. At the very least he would be a competitive counter pick character because his zoning in TA mode is quite absurd even if he might lose to something like Spiral Swords or Morrigan lock down.

The combination of the difficulty of setting up his TA mode (harder to achieve than both Dark Phoenix and Frank West LVL4) and the non permanent status of his powered state (again compared to Phoenix and Frank) are the two main reasons he is a bad character. The random bad evidence just makes this even worse and he doesn't even have a godly assist anymore.

No but being able to take anyone to court so easy is just...I want my appeal to go through already...
If Wright's lvl 3 didn't have 0 frame hit box on start up then I'd see no reason why not have an infinite turnabout. Though his projectile spam is still pretty damn good, so that would have to be trimmed a bit. But to limit it also, evidence would have to be easy to get but the chances of getting bad evidence greater then it is now.
Other then that, why the hell not.
I would love to see PW at finals winning with this. the salt would be endless.

Sorry about that. :lol

Also, yay new old avatar.
Damn it, now I'll confuse you with ShockingAlberto again.

It was theoretical but , once I have time tonight I'll investigate more combos. I'm being bombarded everywhere :lol.
Talents like yours are in high demand! :-D

I think he would be great in that state, but I willing to bet any pro's would still consider him bottom tier.

Edit: We need to play some games sometime again Karst.
Sure thing. I've been crazy busy recently. :-(

Haha no it's nothing! I mean like being asked to hunt in MH and being in the animeGAF IRC among other things.
I want that patch to let the 3DS + Wii U go online together. :-(

Solune

Talents like yours are in high demand! :-D

I want that patch to let the 3DS + Wii U go online together. :-(

I have no talents =(.

And yah that patch needs to come out! Off screen play has been godlike though.

Combo time.

Bon Voyage > Raw tag Shuma, Mystic Ray M > s.H+Call Firebrand (Demon Missile) xx Mystic Stare M > Dash up, s.S, j.MMHS > [land] (when mystic stare explodes) c.H xx Mystic Stare L > s.S > j.HS > [land] Mystic Ray M (Mystic Stare explodes) > j.S > Hyper Mystic Ray DHC Firebrand = 887k.

I have no talents =(.

And yah that patch needs to come out! Off screen play has been godlike though.

Combo time.

Bon Voyage > Raw tag Shuma, Mystic Ray M > s.H+Call Firebrand (Demon Missile) xx Mystic Stare M > Dash up, s.S, j.MMHS > [land] (when mystic stare explodes) c.H xx Mystic Stare L > s.S > j.HS > [land] Mystic Ray M (Mystic Stare explodes) > j.S > Hyper Mystic Ray DHC Firebrand = 887k.
You clearly have some talent here! It's not always easy to find ways to make money with one's abilities in modern society...cog or die, it is.

I haven't tried the off-screen play because I don't use the GamePad. Honestly, I haven't turned my GamePad on in a month. I just don't care about it, it does nothing for me. Hopefully an Okami equivalent comes out for the Wii U to prove the tech is worthwhile to me, but for now it just sits there. It's not even charged. Maybe if it had better reach in my place I would care, but I can only go 10 feet before its connection drops (brick walls in a basement apartment). :-(

Goddamn that combo is badass. A few questions, and I'll test it out tomorrow to revel in its glory:
1) Demon Missile M or H? (straight dive or parabolic - hopefully straight dive).
2) Do I hit s.H and call the assist simultaneously?
3) When did you start charging Mystic Stare for it to hit?
4) Does Mystic Stare L not work in place of M? I usually prefer L since it has more frame advantage.
5) Any idea what the meter gain on that is?
6) When do I cancel s.H into Mystic Stare?

I like that my team has a good THC for once, too. Hyper Mystic Ray causes a hard knockdown and lasts the longest of my 3 hypers, so if I want a safe kill I can do THC, wait, Dark Fire with Firebrand for around 1.1 million (good for Firebrand and 4 bars). The only thing that won't work is your Shuma-Gorath -> Firebrand DHC, since Shuma-Gorath is last on my team. I wonder if Shuma-Gorath can do Hyper Mystic Ray -> Stalking Flare, 1D1C charge and release, etc., like Firebrand can.

I need an anchor that isn't Arthur anymore.

EDIT: Unrelated, but why do Jean players seem to be the ones who rage-quit the most? In my experience, at least.

I need an anchor that isn't Arthur anymore.

EDIT: Unrelated, but why do Jean players seem to be the ones who rage-quit the most? In my experience, at least.
While I've never ragequit, I'll say that when I earn Dark Phoenix, I feel like I've "won" the match because she's so powerful. When I lose with her, I feel like it just shouldn't have happened for one reason or another. Unless I'm facing Vergil or Strider. Then I just hope I can win, haha.

Solune

You clearly have some talent here! It's not always easy to find ways to make money with one's abilities in modern society...cog or die, it is.

I haven't tried the off-screen play because I don't use the GamePad. Honestly, I haven't turned my GamePad on in a month. I just don't care about it, it does nothing for me. Hopefully an Okami equivalent comes out for the Wii U to prove the tech is worthwhile to me, but for now it just sits there. It's not even charged. Maybe if it had better reach in my place I would care, but I can only go 10 feet before its connection drops (brick walls in a basement apartment). :-(

Goddamn that combo is badass. A few questions, and I'll test it out tomorrow to revel in its glory:
1) Demon Missile M or H? (straight dive or parabolic - hopefully straight dive).
2) Do I hit s.H and call the assist simultaneously?
3) When did you start charging Mystic Stare for it to hit?
4) Does Mystic Stare L not work in place of M? I usually prefer L since it has more frame advantage.
5) Any idea what the meter gain on that is?
6) When do I cancel s.H into Mystic Stare?

Yup I'm not making any money now literally ;_;.

I'm not a fan of the gamepad either, it's tablet / touch gaming which i don't really like but, it beats having to use Double AAs for me.

1) Demon Missile M (Charge not Swoop)
2) Yes I hit s.H + assist at the same time *Disclaimer: results happen differently depending on spacing, but for the most part it works. I also don't think this combo works on small characters but feel free to try.
3) I wait about 0.5 seconds, you'll get the feel once you start to do it.
4) No, you'll have to use M because they pop out of Mystic Ray L.
5) it's about 1.5 bars
6) Around 3 hits of S.H or when you see Firebrand come into play

Yup I'm not making any money now literally ;_;.

I'm not a fan of the gamepad either, it's tablet / touch gaming which i don't really like but, it beats having to use Double AAs for me.

1) Demon Missile M (Charge not Swoop)
2) Yes I hit s.H + assist at the same time *Disclaimer: results happen differently depending on spacing, but for the most part it works. I also don't think this combo works on small characters but feel free to try.
3) I wait about 0.5 seconds, you'll get the feel once you start to do it.
4) No, you'll have to use M because they pop out of Mystic Ray L.
5) it's about 1.5 bars
6) Around 3 hits of S.H or when you see Firebrand come into play
Question 4) was about Mystic Stare, not Mystic Ray.

Thanks for all that, I'll mess with it tomorrow. You learn a lot faster than I do when it comes to combos. I still drop my Morrigan bnb after like 6 months of practice. :-(

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
Every "give Iron Man a real ground dash" change makes me happy. Why Capcom decided it would make Iron Man broken to have a real ground dash I'll never know. He wouldn't be "broken" with a good ground dash, he would just be a decent character.

They put too many limits on the bad characters and too few on the good ones.

Dahbomb

Every "give Iron Man a real ground dash" change makes me happy. Why Capcom decided it would make Iron Man broken to have a real ground dash I'll never know. He wouldn't be "broken" with a good ground dash, he would just be a decent character.

They put too many limits on the bad characters and too few on the good ones.
Vergil actually has quite a lot of limits on him... but he's still top tier lol.

Sven post on a Marvel update:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...3-dlc-vs-new-sf4-update?post_num=73#531487075

It's nothing new aside from this part, which is why I'm linking it:
On the question of Origins:

That deal was done as a part of the UMVC3 extension negotiation. Marvel wanted to see another digital release as a part of the deal. We felt that Origins was the best path forward, and we knew Iron Galaxy could pull it off as a part of the roadmap were setting for them (in short, a different and appropriate resource was available).

Also, this part suggests to me that Capcom is working on CAS:
3. SF we completely control. No licenses need to be done or fees paid. No approvals required on direction. We can "just go".

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ah okay. So basically Capcom had the Marvel license for one more release and decided to use it on Origins instead of a UMvC3 update. Makes a ton of sense from a business perspective.

I think it just implies Niitsuma's team is working on something else, which we already know because of recent comments too. They still need to license things from Japan to do Capcom All-Stars, since most of the characters are owned by them.

Ah okay. So basically Capcom had the Marvel license for one more release and decided to use it on Origins instead of a UMvC3 update. Makes a ton of sense from a business perspective.

I think it just implies Niitsuma's team is working on something else, which we already know because of recent comments too. They still need to license things from Japan to do Capcom All-Stars, since most of the characters are owned by them.
Read it again: Marvel wanted Capcom to do a digital release for something on top of UMvC3, so Capcom chose Origins. Thus, any notion of Origins paving the way for Marvel is misguided.

It's both hilarious and sad to think that Capcom All-Stars Battle Royale would have a bigger budget than Sorny All-Stars Battle Royale.
Sony doesn't even have enough first party characters to make a respectable roster. They're not as bad as Microsoft, but neither company really deserves a game that groups their franchises together.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Read it again: Marvel wanted Capcom to do a digital release for something on top of UMvC3, so Capcom chose Origins. Thus, any notion of Origins paving the way for Marvel is misguided.
I stand corrected.

Man this shit must be a nightmare for whoever has to deal with licensing and Marvel.

Sony doesn't even have enough first party characters to make a respectable roster. They're not as bad as Microsoft, but neither company really deserves a game that groups their franchises together.
I think Sony has enough, it's just putting them all into one place is difficult because of the huge variety in art styles. Smash Bros works because you can unite them all under one cartoony art style and make them look like they half-belong next to each other.

Pretty much everything that could go wrong with PSASBR went wrong. They had a bunch of characters forced in for promotion purposes that made that feeling of characters not belonging even greater. And then they left out their strongest first party characters that could actually work and jive with each other (Spyro (RIP) and Crash).

The budget was the main problem with Sorny All-Stars. Any and all characters that people wanted were out of reach because of the shoestring budget.

The budget was the main problem with Sorny All-Stars. Any and all characters that people wanted were out of reach because of the shoestring budget.
Right, because Sony doesn't have enough good first-party characters.

I think Sony has enough, it's just putting them all into one place is difficult because of the huge variety in art styles. Smash Bros works because you can unite them all under one cartoony art style and make them look like they half-belong next to each other.

Pretty much everything that could go wrong with PSASBR went wrong. They had a bunch of characters forced in for promotion purposes that made that feeling of characters not belonging even greater. And then they left out their strongest first party characters that could actually work and jive with each other (Spyro (RIP) and Crash).
I am not convinced, and I doubt adding Spyro and Crash would have moved copies. The mascot strength is just not there. It's the same reason Sony tries to brand a new mascot every generation.

I am not convinced, and I doubt adding Spyro and Crash would have moved copies. The mascot strength is just not there. It's the same reason Sony tries to brand a new mascot every generation.

Adding the characters people wanted would've moved copies, yes. Turning the game into a giant advertisement with a fighting game attached was the wrong move, among several ones. Lack of a budget, advertising of the game in general, and a weak roster made sure that the game wouldn't sell, and Sorny has nobody to blame but themselves.

The core game was ok, though.

Adding the characters people wanted would've moved copies, yes. Turning the game into a giant advertisement with a fighting game attached was the wrong move, among several ones. Lack of a budget, advertising of the game in general, and a weak roster made sure that the game wouldn't sell, and Sorny has nobody to blame but themselves.

The core game was ok, though.
The game received lukewarm reception. I'm skeptical that it could have been anything but a bomb.

Yes, for the reasons I mentioned. :p
Even from the moment it was announced, the majority voice was "who the fuck wants this?" I've owned every Sony system out there except for the Vita, and there was just no draw. There could be no draw. Unless it was filled with third-party characters, but then it's not really about Sony. The real problem was making it about Sony. :p
And shitty gameplay.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think it would have helped, just as much as having Nathan Drake would. He's the face of the PS3. I think for the most part, recognizable characters for the youth of today were there, but the bigger issue was the game was just probably not that fun and a quite obvious rip off of Smash Bros. Nobody wants the cheap imitation of the real stuff.

I don't think searching to make new faces to define the generation is necessarily a bad thing or a result of not having Nintendo-powerful IPs. I certainly prefer that to them doing the Nintendo style of creating 5 IPs and then structuring every gaming idea around the restraints of each of those IPs for the rest of time. Sony doesn't want that, they want to create something new and it works for them over and over and over, even if they don't move mythical Nintendo levels of units. Look at God of War, Uncharted, Little Big Planet etc. Maybe if they ever came up with brands as strong as Nintendo's (which is close to impossible for anyone, and Sony knows it) they'd use them until the end of time but I certainly feel Sony's approach has it's place. Microsoft is a bit more complicated, but it works for them too.

Dahbomb

Again no denial of a balance patch.

In any case the attitude from Capcom is quite clear. The whole licensing business really sours everyone experience when they have to check with Marvel for every small detail. I always go back to that quote where Capcom talked about how Marvel was very specific on Strange's hand movements and shit. They don't want that constant checking especially when the return isn't that high. Marvel 3 did respectable even Capcom admits this but splitting the profits due to it being a license game puts less money in Capcom's pockets. Marvel would have to have sold way more than SF for them to even consider supporting it more.

Still though I am shocked that the contract does not state anything about balance patches without actually add new content. Seems like a massive over sight on Capcom's part.

Solune

Question 4) was about Mystic Stare, not Mystic Ray.

Thanks for all that, I'll mess with it tomorrow. You learn a lot faster than I do when it comes to combos. I still drop my Morrigan bnb after like 6 months of practice. :-(

Ahh sorry. Mystic Stare L doesn't travel far enough and travels slowly, but you can experiment with this point.

PS allstars is lackluster in every single area and doesn't shine in any. That's why it failed. The core mechanic of super only kills makes some characters more broken than in Marvel. People who say it fails because Sony doesn't have enough characters to put into the game are dead wrong. There's plenty.

PS allstars is lackluster in every single area and doesn't shine in any. That's why it failed. The core mechanic of super only kills makes some characters more broken than in Marvel. People who say it fails because Sony doesn't have enough characters to put into the game are dead wrong. There's plenty.
I didn't say it didn't have enough characters, I said it didn't have enough good characters.

Games don't sell based on quality. Otherwise Call of Duty and God of War wouldn't be top sellers. They sell based on hype. PAS didn't generate any hype outside of diehard Sony fans, and it didn't generate hype because no one cares about a collection of 1st party Sony IPs fighting each other.

Karst remember back when we briefly discussed Sven and how some people dislike him. You said most people get caught up in PR responses (which is entirely true) and Sven never has actually lied about anything. I mentioned the AAI2 sales debacle but couldn't back it up but I found someone in another thread with a link to this

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29067385&postcount=151

This is why I can see why people really dislike him and I can easily see why. He just eggs people on and on.
Yeah, Beef posted this previously. I don't think one lie discounts an entire person, though. I really do think Sven has the best intentions. I know what it's like to have a job like his.

Karst remember back when we briefly discussed Sven and how some people dislike him. You said most people get caught up in PR responses (which is entirely true) and Sven never has actually lied about anything. I mentioned the AAI2 sales debacle but couldn't back it up but I found someone in another thread with a link to this

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29067385&postcount=151

This is why I can see why people really dislike him. He just eggs people on and on.

Solune

Yeah, Beef posted this previously. I don't think one lie discounts an entire person, though. I really do think Sven has the best intentions. I know what it's like to have a job like his.

Also the fact that Sven can't just outright say or disclose information regarding why AAI2 isn't being released. Much like Nintendo not bringing over Reginleiv, Fire Emblem 12, Captain Rainbow, Soma Bringer etc. SEGA not bringing over Valkyria Chronicles 3, Various Yakuza Titles, Various Collections (Monster World/Phantasy Star).

lol AAI2 is still being brought up.

Also the fact that Sven can't just outright say or disclose information regarding why AAI2 isn't being released. Much like Nintendo not bringing over Reginleiv, Fire Emblem 12, Captain Rainbow, Soma Bringer etc. SEGA not bringing over Valkyria Chronicles 3, Various Yakuza Titles, Various Collections (Monster World/Phantasy Star).

This one still hurts too.

lol awesome

Marvel, anyone?

lol AAI2 is still being brought up.
Yeah, I would have liked to see Reginleiv, Soma Bringer, and Valkyria Chronicles 3. Also, there was that RPG where you used the Wii Remote to draw spells and attack. I don't know it's name (in Japanese), but that game looked awesome. Someone in one of the RPG threads named it in their top 10 ever, so I feel like we missed out there.

I feel like Nintendo needs to bring everything over here if they want me to keep buying their systems. I'm not buying their stuff for goddamn WPRGs or something!

Jill looked sweet yesterday in Chris G's troll finals. What does Jill play like, can anyone give me an overview?
Kind of like X-23 with an invincible comboable dragon punch that is also safe, but that is slower and has less aerial options.

Zissou

Jill's machine gun spray is an important tool too- you can spend a bar to clear the screen and get in instantly. Other pure rushdown characters wish they had something like that.

GGs Soused. I'm curious about your thoughts on my team. I still don't have a general "strategy" for taking my opponent out, I just kind of wing it.

And Solune, that combo is hard as hell. I haven't been able to do it yet. -_-

Top Bottom