• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Solune

GGs Soused. I'm curious about your thoughts on my team. I still don't have a general "strategy" for taking my opponent out, I just kind of wing it.

And Solune, that combo is hard as hell. I haven't been able to do it yet. -_-

There are two hard parts in the combo, part one: timing Firebrand and the Mystic Stare cancel. part two: getting the relaunch and getting j.H to hit at the proper height before they fall out of the combo, pretty frustrating.

Spacing also has a large factor in it, if you do crossup Demon Missile M so that your back and opponent are at the corner, Shuma will tag in further away from the opposite wall and makes the juggle awkward for s.H. For the most part the timing is the same.

What I do is work on separate parts of combos until I get them down, I know HSD affects link timing but, just for getting "the feel of it"

If you want I can make a video for you.

There are two hard parts in the combo, part one: timing Firebrand and the Mystic Stare cancel. part two: getting the relaunch and getting j.H to hit at the proper height before they fall out of the combo, pretty frustrating.

Spacing also has a large factor in it, if you do crossup Demon Missile M so that your back and opponent are at the corner, Shuma will tag in further away from the opposite wall and makes the juggle awkward for s.H. For the most part the timing is the same.

What I do is work on separate parts of combos until I get them down, I know HSD affects link timing but, just for getting "the feel of it"

If you want I can make a video for you.
You know I love videos. :-D

vg260

Still though I am shocked that the contract does not state anything about balance patches without actually add new content. Seems like a massive over sight on Capcom's part.

I don't believe it's an oversight. I think that's just how strict these things are. I think you just can't touch it at all with someone else's IP involved, because they don't want any changes in there that could potentially alter perception of your IP is represented. But I think it's more about the length of the contract and the cost involved to keep the window open. (i.e. a longer contract would be cost-prohibitive). I think most licensing deals have very defined timelines like we saw with TvC not being sold anymore, and Ultimate Alliance DLC being pulled.

Man, every time I think I've figured out Magneto, there's new combos. In case someone snaps him in on my X-23 team:

call strider, tridash for timing, EMD L, strider hits, dash up Gravity Squeeze, wavedash S sjc Attraction xx Shockwave out of the corner

Not a great combo but it's awesome as hell. You have to auto correct the shockwave or you'll get magnetic tempest.

I wonder if I can do a setup like this with Dormammu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhz2A3TO15c

It works with Dr. Doom and Sphere Flame.

I'm trying to find a good XF3 Shuma-Gorath combo and some incoming setups with him. I feel like Shuma-Gorath doesn't have any good incoming tricks aside from dash under s.S, which is hard to combo off of when it hits at jump height. :-/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GAF which one is best:

ibdMOlbsApLI2F.png
iwYub7VodD1FK.png
ibdxFlqHrO118a.png
ibwGXLIkydO6qk.png

Leaning towards the third one, too much contrast in the others.

GGs, DeadPhoenix. I wanted that Trish of yours dead more than your Phoenix.
392x294

GG's to you too. Hey if it takes the steam off of Phoenix so she can go Dark, though I should reconsider playing online more. My phoenix is garbage online. But I'm happy that I managed to walk away with those amount of wins, usually everyone just hands me my ass...

Solune

You know I love videos. :-D
I'll have something up Saturday or Sunday.

Also if you're using Dark Hole assist, there's an easier followup. You just call Dormammu before doing Mystic Ray M after the tag in, then while Dark Hole is hitting, Mystic Stare L into the BnB. In case you want to try that.

I tried optimizing the combo with Dark Hole with the Firebrand setup but, they pop out too quick *shrug*.
I wonder if I can do a setup like this with Dormammu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhz2A3TO15c

It works with Dr. Doom and Sphere Flame.

I'm trying to find a good XF3 Shuma-Gorath combo and some incoming setups with him. I feel like Shuma-Gorath doesn't have any good incoming tricks aside from dash under s.S, which is hard to combo off of when it hits at jump height. :-/
I think you can setup unblockables with Shuma after he does his Hyper Mystic Ray, DHC to Stalking Flare while opponent is on the ground then rawtag Firebrand in, much like the setup you found with the "DHC Glitch"

Also you should be able to Rawtag to Dormammu and use his wallbounce similar to this video with Shuma/Vergil. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzjX_1LwHBM

Remember, be creative!
GAF which one is best:

ibdMOlbsApLI2F.png
iwYub7VodD1FK.png
ibdxFlqHrO118a.png
ibwGXLIkydO6qk.png

I think the last one on the right is the best, just my opinion.

http://www.24.dk/image/3439260/392x294?.cached[/ig]

GG's to you too. Hey if it takes the steam off of Phoenix so she can go Dark, though I should reconsider playing online more. My phoenix is garbage online. But I'm happy that I managed to walk away with those amount of wins, usually everyone just hands me my ass...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, most of your wins came from Trish. Even the threat of Dark Phoenix was never really much of a factor in my eyes since you weren't really doing as much damage to my team with her compared to Trish.

GGs Soused. I'm curious about your thoughts on my team. I still don't have a general "strategy" for taking my opponent out, I just kind of wing it.

That explains so much :/

Anyway, your team seems pretty solid to me; Dark Hole locks people down, Mystic Ray controls a lot of space, both assists are great for combo extensions, and you know your stuff with Firebrand on point.

One thing I noticed was that you'd back off during the opening of a round if I was using a character that had a faster walking speed than Firebrand. Someone who actually knows what they're doing could probably take advantage of that, but that's just what I think.

Also, there were times when you'd set up a charged Demon Missile with Dark Hole/Stalking Flare on an incoming character that could fly or 8WD. There's a little opening at that point where I could go over Firebrand's head when he's charging and flop onto the ground. Even when you set up Stalking Flare beforehand, I'd just take the hit from that instead of getting picked up by Firebrand (although you caught onto that eventually and used it as a sort of reset with air H if I wasn't already at superjump height).

On a similar note, sometimes you let me hit the ground when you were going for that setup, and I occasionally powered through by using a Crossover Counter with an armored assist, or by canceling a Crossover Counter into a super with some invincibility frames. I know it's a matter of timing, but I also know that some characters (like Strange) can get a lot more mileage out of CCs than the ones I used, so I thought I should point that out.

I don't know why I'm being so thorough when I got stomped so hard in that set. Fatigue got the best of me, too; I fell asleep on my keyboard while I was typing this reply. I've got key imprints on my face and everything, hahaha

GAF which one is best:
My inclination was to like the first the most.

I'll have something up Saturday or Sunday.

Also if you're using Dark Hole assist, there's an easier followup. You just call Dormammu before doing Mystic Ray M after the tag in, then while Dark Hole is hitting, Mystic Stare L into the BnB. In case you want to try that.

I tried optimizing the combo with Dark Hole with the Firebrand setup but, they pop out too quick *shrug*.
Dark Hole is one of those things that makes me doubt that HSD solely operates on a timer. Dark Hole seems to cut a ton of combos short.

I think you can setup unblockables with Shuma after he does his Hyper Mystic Ray, DHC to Stalking Flare while opponent is on the ground then rawtag Firebrand in, much like the setup you found with the "DHC Glitch"
Yeah, I've been making use of that. The team has awful full-screen DHC synergy, but in combos it has a lot of nice little things like that.

Also you should be able to Rawtag to Dormammu and use his wallbounce similar to this video with Shuma/Vergil. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzjX_1LwHBM

Remember, be creative!
I'm very creative, it just takes me a lot of time to put my creativity into action because my execution is so poor. :-(

Edit: I watched the video - brilliant!

That explains so much :/

Anyway, your team seems pretty solid to me; Dark Hole locks people down, Mystic Ray controls a lot of space, both assists are great for combo extensions, and you know your stuff with Firebrand on point.

One thing I noticed was that you'd back off during the opening of a round if I was using a character that had a faster walking speed than Firebrand. Someone who actually knows what they're doing could probably take advantage of that, but that's just what I think.

Also, there were times when you'd set up a charged Demon Missile with Dark Hole/Stalking Flare on an incoming character that could fly or 8WD. There's a little opening at that point where I could go over Firebrand's head when he's charging and flop onto the ground. Even when you set up Stalking Flare beforehand, I'd just take the hit from that instead of getting picked up by Firebrand (although you caught onto that eventually and used it as a sort of reset with air H if I wasn't already at superjump height).

On a similar note, sometimes you let me hit the ground when you were going for that setup, and I occasionally powered through by using a Crossover Counter with an armored assist, or by canceling a Crossover Counter into a super with some invincibility frames. I know it's a matter of timing, but I also know that some characters (like Strange) can get a lot more mileage out of CCs than the ones I used, so I thought I should point that out.

I don't know why I'm being so thorough when I got stomped so hard in that set. Fatigue got the best of me, too; I fell asleep on my keyboard while I was typing this reply. I've got key imprints on my face and everything, hahaha
Oh man, did you start tying it last night after our set, and just hit "post" now? That's hilarious. And just because I'm winging it doesn't mean that I'll be any less random when I master the team! I love doing the unexpected and unsafe.

I didn't back away at the start of the round due to you being faster, but because I just wanted to try a different approach to the matchup. I think Firebrand is one of the game's best starters, and really only Wolverine scares me. Being able to choose from j.L instant overhead, j.H instant overhead/option select, and c.L makes him pretty scary.

Yeah, the unblockable setups need work. Mystic Ray can provide unblockable setups, and I'm still working on how to get that all down. This was my first night playing the team, and right now I'm primarily concerned about understanding its flow rather than having a bunch of setups perfected.

The crossover counter into invincible hyper is something I've dealt with in the past. What I might start doing is pulling a Zak Bennet, and instead of going for Firebrand's unblockable I'll just use Stalking Flare for a really long mix-up session. He likes to do j.L, qcb.L (fly down), c.L, and it's really hard to block that while the flare is blocking your vision. I'll get some more reliable setups going as time goes on, I'm sure...

Zissou

Advice begging time- which characters can fight Frank West lvl4+ and how? My friend uses Arthur anchor so specifically what do you do against Frank plus dagger assist? Arthur anchor hamstrings a lot of options because it means I can't use x-factor first because I run a high risk of getting chipped out. I use Doom/Dante/Strider.

Advice begging time- which characters can fight Frank West lvl4+ and how? My friend uses Arthur anchor so specifically what do you do against Frank plus dagger assist? Arthur anchor hamstrings a lot of options because it means I can't use x-factor first because I run a high risk of getting chipped out. I use Doom/Dante/Strider.

Well I don't think anybody can fight him once he's on top of you with an assist call except maybe viper or Ryu or Haggar, but mid-full screen a lot of characters can deal with him. Despite his variety of toys, he doesn't have the durability to plow through projectiles and his best hope is to trade with giant swing or use hypers. Being able to stick things out on the screen is pretty strong. His moves also have a ton of frames, so if you have fast or invincible moves you can pick your spots and react to him trying anything. He can't cancel out of anything in the air, so if he whiffs a normal just snipe him if you can. He's going to need daggers to proceed, so if you play it right you can bait it out and hit the assist.

With your team, if he has level 4 that probably means Doom is dead so I'd use some huge projectile like twister and go into devil trigger asap and start abusing vortex, thunderbolt, hysteric and air play. Or you could just mash fireworks. If he calls arthur far away, just go into million dollars. If he super jumps and you think he can hit you, DHC to the animal parade.

Strider, just run away and abuse animals and formation B. He also can't do anything about orbs.

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54576789]Well I don't think anybody can fight him once he's on top of you with an assist call except maybe viper or Ryu or Haggar, but mid-full screen a lot of characters can deal with him. Despite his variety of toys, he doesn't have the durability to plow through projectiles and his best hope is to trade with giant swing or use hypers. Being able to stick things out on the screen is pretty strong. His moves also have a ton of frames, so if you have fast or invincible moves you can pick your spots and react to him trying anything. He can't cancel out of anything in the air, so if he whiffs a normal just snipe him if you can. He's going to need daggers to proceed, so if you play it right you can bait it out and hit the assist.

With your team, if he has level 4 that probably means Doom is dead so I'd use some huge projectile like twister and go into devil trigger asap and start abusing vortex, thunderbolt, hysteric and air play. Or you could just mash fireworks. If he calls arthur far away, just go into million dollars. If he super jumps and you think he can hit you, DHC to the animal parade.

Strider, just run away and abuse animals and formation B. He also can't do anything about orbs.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't considered abusing devil trigger- I'll try burning meter on devil trigger so he at least has to respect psycho crusher. Fly plus a bunch of air plays might work to give me control of the pace of the match too.

Strider has some options against leveled up Frank, but making an XF3 comeback with Strider is really challenging against this team. He plays Haggar point, so Haggar and Frank both have a lot of health, and if my x-factor runs out before I run through his team, Strider is almost definitely getting chipped out by Arthur xf3.

I've got some things to think about- thanks for the ideas!

Also, consider snapping Arthur in. His team does not support Arthur well, and if you can take him down then you have given him a weak team formation (Haggar in the back). That frees you up to use X-Factor against Arthur or Frank West.

Zissou

I've waffled back and forth on whether I should go for a reset to kill Haggar or just snap Arthur for a long time. That situation assumes that the match is already going in my favor though. My concern is more 'he landed the first hit and I've lost Doom, so now it's Dante/Strider against lvl4 Frank, Haggar, and Arthur- what should I do?' At that point, I know the odds are tilted against me- the question is: what are my best options?

I've been thinking I should start Dante in this match-up (even though Doom should be able to play keep away fairly well) just because Dante crystal or hysteric plus Doom beam assist should make it murderously hard for Haggar to land a clean hit.

Azure J

YOU NEVER RESET HAGGAR.

Let me repeat that:

YOU. NEVER. RESET. HAGGAR.

Zoning is your best bet and while I like what you're thinking with regards to Dante's arsenal + Doom (is he on Plasma Beam assist?), I've played Smurf enough to know that even if it isn't a Smurf tier Haggar, you still don't want to put anything with enough startup out there.

YOU NEVER RESET HAGGAR.

Let me repeat that:

Zoning is your best bet and while I like what you're thinking with regards to Dante's arsenal + Doom (is he on Plasma Beam assist?), I've played Smurf enough to know that even if it isn't a Smurf tier Haggar, you still don't want to put anything with enough startup out there.
Why not reset him in the air?

Oh man, did you start tying it last night after our set, and just hit "post" now? That's hilarious.

That is exactly what happened.

I didn't back away at the start of the round due to you being faster, but because I just wanted to try a different approach to the matchup. I think Firebrand is one of the game's best starters, and really only Wolverine scares me. Being able to choose from j.L instant overhead, j.H instant overhead/option select, and c.L makes him pretty scary.

Ah, makes sense. You hit the j.L pretty consistently, too.

The crossover counter into invincible hyper is something I've dealt with in the past. What I might start doing is pulling a Zak Bennet, and instead of going for Firebrand's unblockable I'll just use Stalking Flare for a really long mix-up session. He likes to do j.L, qcb.L (fly down), c.L, and it's really hard to block that while the flare is blocking your vision. I'll get some more reliable setups going as time goes on, I'm sure...

Yeah, sounds like a good variation.

I guess it just wasn't meant to be lol

Does anyone else want to try? I'm getting anxious, I need to play...

I'll play with you, if you're OK with a Floridian connection.

I need to start practicing Ammy combos hard >.< That and studying Moons's matches for stuff to use between Nova/Ammy. Think I might stick with that and Doom/Ammy as backup.

Not gonna lie though, I do miss having Hidden Missiles for Cap, or even Molecular Shield.

I think I've got a near-inescapable reset with Magneto and X-23. I do a full combo into hyper grav in the corner, air reset them out of the hyper grav with jL, land, vertical jump throw while calling ankle slicer. If they tech the throw, they land on the assist and I have just enough time for a tridash jL to make it unblockable. Catches all tech directions, and they can't hit buttons after teching the throw fast enough before X-23 makes contact(i think).

I think the only way to escape is x-factor or hard drive?

GG's SousedLouse

EDIT
The matches we had taught me something:
I need to stop doing a dive kick without assists.
Super Skrull is a bad match up against Trish
Phoenix is still taking the back seat...Need to get this fixed

Yeah, GGs. Sorry about dropping the room near the beginning.
It's cool.

Zissou

YOU NEVER RESET HAGGAR.

Let me repeat that:

My general strategy against Haggar is to zone with enough shit at normal jump height that Haggar is forced to super jump to move in (using point Doom, H plasma beam over and over, and with point Dante, hysteric plus plasma beam assist to eat Haggar's projectile assist so that Haggar has to deal with most of the hysteric missiles). When I finally force a super jump, I can dash underneath him and call Strider for a 50/50 cross-under with fairly little risk (at least I haven't been punished too hard for doing it yet, haha. Of course if he calls an assist and then superjumps, I have to avoid the assist, but I can either box dash with Dante or fwd.H footdive with Doom to go underneath Haggar while avoiding horizontal projectile assists). On point, Dante at least has the option to punish lariat, since if Haggar tries to punish your punish attempt by cancelling into rapid fire fist, you can bold block and make yourself safe (timing is a bit tricky though), so if you can bait lariat, you can start to make things go in your favor.

If I can land a hit and still have vajra on deck (i.e., the combo didn't start from a vajra hit), I can reset in relative safety with a cross-under plus vajra set-up for a 50/50.

With point Doom, once they're carried to the corner in a combo, before I have accumulated enough HSD that I can't self-OTG relaunch anymore, I relaunch (while simultaneously calling vajra as I st.H OTG) and then after the launch jump up a bit and immediately do either fwd.H footdive or S footdive. If I do fwd.H footdive, I cross under them, and they need to block vajra as a cross-up. The S footdive won't carry me underneath them if done low to the ground, so I can use it to fake the cross-up since it will be difficult spur-of-the-moment for the Haggar player to distinguish between the two and react quickly enough to block correctly on reaction.

I do a similar reset mid-screen with Dante that is way more ghetto (risk of them just hitting Strider with an air normal is higher, since there isn't nearly as much HSD when I do this cross-under). After the volcano jump cancel series (after either volcano, j.M, j.H, killer bee OR after j.H, air play, j.H) I land and launch while simultaneously calling vajra, and then I wave dash around underneath them like a madman so that I even I won't know which side I'll be on when vajra hits. I need to improve this reset so that a) Strider assist runs less risk of getting bopped, and b) it either works in the corner or I set it up so that I'm always midscreen at the point in the combo where I want to go for a reset. I would welcome suggestions for other resets with Dante/Strider specifically to use against characters with scary ground reversal options.

The goal of the cross-under resets is to make sure the character I'm resetting only has their aerial options, since it removes invincible reversals as an out for vast majority of characters (fuck lariat), and my point character is mostly out of harms way. Even if they block correctly, a lot of the time, you can add another layer to the reset and go for an air throw after they block vajra or something.

GG's SousedLouse

EDIT
The matches we had taught me something:
I need to stop doing a dive kick without assists.
Super Skrull is a bad match up against Trish
Phoenix is still taking the back seat...Need to get this fixed

It's cool.
IIRC, you can raw s.S or s.H to anti-air Skrull out of Meteor Smash if that's what he got you with.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54644841]Uggh, my poor man's poor man's infinite setup with Magneto whiffs on Arthur :-(

Anyone wanna play?[/QUOTE]

I'll play.

It's raining though so like if everything dies you'll know why

Marvel anyone?

I had used hopscotch and Trap L's to stop him, but I'm actually not sure on how to avoid them. What I mean is I can't block them some times. Do they mix up?
They're screen-relative, not character relative. So, like Deadpool's teleports. It can be hard to block them consistently. You have to watch how the screen shifts.

Top Bottom