• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Azure J

Man, it's funny how two different people can be playing the same shell and yet one person will get but never use things like this until it's in text. Good stuff man.

I assume you also attempt shenanigans with Jam Session + Vajra if you suspect buttons being pressed on air tech and want the confirm immediately?

Zissou

Man, it's funny how two different people can be playing the same shell and yet one person will get but never use things like this until it's in text. Good stuff man.

I assume you also attempt shenanigans with Jam Session + Vajra if you suspect buttons being pressed on air tech and want the confirm immediately?

I need to use point jam session more in general. I know jam session plus vajra will give me a combo but I get greedy and want the full non-scaled combo from the clean vajra hit I get from the ambiguous cross under, haha. You're right though that if somebody is hitting buttons and actually hitting Strider during the reset, I should punish with jam session. The similar Doom cross-under/fake cross-under reset is better because Doom can relaunch really late in a combo, so when done properly, the cross-under+vajra hit happens so quickly after they flip out of the original combo that any normal they throw out will get hit out of start-up by vajra. I need to work on making the Dante version like that so that they absolutely can't press any buttons unless they're Sent/Morrigan/Phoenix. I favor these sorts of resets so much because a huge chunk of my matches are against my Haggar-playing friend, and other resets, even aerial ones where you don't risk getting hit by lariat, will still leave me right next to Haggar if they fail, which the last place I want to be :(

Dante just has so many tools that any one player is bound to forget about a bunch of them. It's hard to keep so many things in mind simultaneously. Having too many moves- the eternal plight of Dante players, haha

Sayah

GGs to Karst. I have zero matchup experience against firebrand, haha. Couldn't block anything. Really great team there, though. Maybe I should start using shuma.

Lol yea Shuma was putting in some work...that assist is really good.
Yeah, I really love the assist. It's actually the only assist that really lets me play rushdown Dormammu how I like. I love that if I do Mystic Ray + j.H, and j.H hits, I can go for another j.H and it all combos. That way I can always double up on j.H attacks for cross-ups when the first one is blocked, and I'm not losing combo potential. Really strong. Mystic Ray is also a very solid keepaway assist. The meteor streams...pewpewpew!

Your Doom has gotten much, much better. I think you need to do more bold tridashes with Magneto, though. It's kind of weird, actually. Your Magneto is very defensive, and your Doom is very aggressive.

I find it puzzling that most people agree Plasma Beam is an amazing assist because it appears behind your character, but Mystic Ray does the same thing and covers the whole screen and everyone says it's overrated. Sure, it's not as fast as Plasma Beam, but it's worth looking at for certain characters.

GGs to Karst. I have zero matchup experience against firebrand, haha. Couldn't block anything. Really great team there, though. Maybe I should start using shuma.
Yeah, you definitely need to stop going for those slide attempts with She-Hulk. ;-)

Shuma-Gorath has a great assist, but he's one of the most awkward characters in the game to play. Give him a shot and see how you like him. Bolts of Balthakk is one of his best assists, BTW.

A couple Firebrand matchup tips:
1) Bon Voyage (the air charge where he grabs you) is +16 on block from the air, so always pushblock it or you have to eat a mix-up after it's blocked. That's why you won't ever hit me with the She-Hulk slide - I have like 30 frames after your pushblock to get in the air and do another Bon Voyage to apply pressure, and that pressure only ends when you push me out far enough or get out of the corner.

2) Firebrand's j.L hits on crouching characters as an instant overhead and combos into Bon Voyage if he's in Luminous Body (white). Otherwise he needs an assist.

3) Firebrand's j.H hits on standing characters, making for a good option select.

4) If he's hanging in the air after dashing back, and then swoops in, the attack is unblockable - get out of there unless you can hit Firebrand out of the charge.

5) Pretty much everything Firebrand does has frame advantage, so just pushblock and reset the neutral.

I learned a lot of new Firebrand stuff playing against you, so you have my thanks. I'm really liking those low j.H double overheads into another instant overhead - super hard to block!

Frantic

I double-perfected a Morrigan/Doom/Vergil player online. I'm ready for ChrisG, someone get me a plane ticket to EVO.
Kappa.png

Dante just has so many tools that any one player is bound to forget about a bunch of them. It's hard to keep so many things in mind simultaneously. Having too many moves- the eternal plight of Dante players, haha
Yep. I criminally underuse a lot of Dante's tools. I don't use Weasel Shot and Jam Session enough, though I'm trying to use Weasel Shot more. I just need to learn to time it off a whiffed s.H after a pushblock, then I'll be in business.

Sayah

Yeah, you definitely need to stop going for those slide attempts with She-Hulk. ;-)

Shuma-Gorath has a great assist, but he's one of the most awkward characters in the game to play. Give him a shot and see how you like him. Bolts of Balthakk is one of his best assists, BTW.

A couple Firebrand matchup tips:
1) Bon Voyage (the air charge where he grabs you) is +16 on block from the air, so always pushblock it or you have to eat a mix-up after it's blocked. That's why you won't ever hit me with the She-Hulk slide - I have like 30 frames after your pushblock to get in the air and do another Bon Voyage to apply pressure, and that pressure only ends when you push me out far enough or get out of the corner.

2) Firebrand's j.L hits on crouching characters as an instant overhead and combos into Bon Voyage if he's in Luminous Body (white). Otherwise he needs an assist.

3) Firebrand's j.H hits on standing characters, making for a good option select.

4) If he's hanging in the air after dashing back, and then swoops in, the attack is unblockable - get out of there unless you can hit Firebrand out of the charge.

5) Pretty much everything Firebrand does has frame advantage, so just pushblock and reset the neutral.

I learned a lot of new Firebrand stuff playing against you, so you have my thanks. I'm really liking those low j.H double overheads into another instant overhead - super hard to block!

Awesome. Thanks for all of that. Noted and hopefully I'll remember this stuff for next time.

If you want to see me be become combo practice all over again, I uploaded the matches. :p

Awesome. Thanks for all of that. Noted and hopefully I'll remember this stuff for next time.

If you want to see me be become combo practice all over again, I uploaded the matches. :p

I watched the first twenty min of the set.

Karst that Firebrand and Dormmamu Luminous body and Fire ball trick is pretty sweet. Good Firebrand bullshit tech right there. I didn't see you really get to Shuma that much.

Sayah like Karst said "why you no leik assists?" and nailing some bigger combo's off hit confirms. GGs though.

Karst that Firebrand and Dormmamu Luminous body and Fire ball trick is pretty sweet. Good Firebrand bullshit tech right there. I didn't see you really get to Shuma that much.

Sayah like Karst said "why you no leik assists?" and nailing some bigger combo's off hit confirms. GGs though.
Are you up for some matches right now?

Yeah, the Firebrand/Dormammu trick is my discovery - makes me feel special. :)

I'm not using Shuma-Gorath unless I have to right now. Priority one is getting the Firebrand flow right. I'd say the last 1/4 of that set I was playing him much better than in the first third.

Stuff to quote you.
Goddamn that Shuma-Gorath combo is the most finicky thing ever. Sometimes the s.H whiffs entirely or only hits once, sometimes my opponent recovers before Mystic Stare hits, and sometimes my opponent falls to the ground before I can dash up and launch. -_- I successfully completed it 3 times in about 2 hours of practice. :-(

Sayah

I suck at calling out assists. This has been a problem for me since vanilla MvC3.

Thanks for the video! I posted it on GFAQs and SRK to get feedback.

Also, your Trish has become very respectable. Now you just need to figure out your other two characters.

Edit: Also, why do you hate using assists?

No prob. And thanks. I'm trying to find two other characters ever since I got Ultimate, haha. Dr. Strange is a definite addition to the team. I just need to know what to do with him in actual battle. I completely freeze and just end up teleporting everywhere when I have him out. So really, after I learn Dr. Strange properly, I just need one more character. Still not sure who that will be, though.

Also, I tried Shuma. I didn't realize Shuma used charge attacks. I am terribad with charge attacks.

I just went 0-2 at a tournament because of Captain America I'm so fucking salty.

How do I deal with him?
Depends on your characters. He's a pain in the ass for me too, but anytime I have trouble with a character I just start using them. Cap/Spencer/Strange has been awesome....until Cap dies. Anyway, who do you use?

I suck at calling out assists. This has been a problem for me since vanilla MvC3.
Work on it regardless!

No prob. And thanks. I'm trying to find two other characters ever since I got Ultimate, haha. Dr. Strange is a definite addition to the team. I just need to know what to do with him in actual battle. I completely freeze and just end up teleporting everywhere when I have him out. So really, after I learn Dr. Strange properly, I just need one more character. Still not sure who that will be, though.
Do you like Strange, or his assist? Because Dagger of Denak is a pretty crappy assist. IMO you should work on doing the following with Trish:
1) Jump, air dash up, fly, tri-dash forward, dive kick + assist call
2) Jump, double jump, fly, tri-dash forward, dive kick + assist call

Then you should switch Dr. Strange to Bolts of Balthakk, because it's just better than Dagger of Denak.

Now, you have three options:
1) Anchor Strange, and do your best to win with your first two characters, because Dr. Strange anchor is like Shuma-Gorath anchor - not good.
2) Put Dr. Strange second, and give him a good assist to work with.
3) Get an OTG assist and learn how to Round Harvest into FotF loops.

It's purely a stylistic choice.

If you want to see good Dr. Strange play, PM SagaFX on PSN. Best Strange I've seen by far.

Basics of how to play Dr. Strange:
1) You have no safe blockstrings. None. At all. Your closest is c.LH, dp.M, which is still not 100% safe against everyone.

2) Your top priority, until you learn matchups, is to get Eye of Agamotto on the screen or get into a position where you can put it on the screen.

3) Dashing up and doing Mystic Sword L is one of the best anti-airs in the game and leads to full combos.

4) Skip Grace of Hoggoth until you really understand the character.

Up close, do c.LH, Eye of Agamotto or c.LH, Mystic Sword M. You can do c.LH, Mystic Sword L, but only against large characters.

Far away, you have two keepaway patterns without assists:
1) Eye of Agamotto, Impact Palm x Grace of Hoggoth L, Flame of the Faltine - repeat
2) Eye of Agamotto, Dagger of Denak M, Impact Palm x Dagger of Denak M - repeat

Against other keepaway characters, Mystic Sword wins almost all exchanges because it has 8 durability and comes out fast. Rarely, I repeat, rarely should you cancel your Impact Palm into a teleport to mix up the Eye of Agamotto. This should be rare because:
1) If it's blocked, you're next to your opponent, and that's not good even with frame advantage with Dr. Strange.
2) If it hits, you need to be good enough to convert off of it at very awkward angles and heights.

Personally, I prefer to lame it out. Most people get hit by Eye of Agamotto eventually because they think a teleport is coming (I imagine you kept getting hit by Dark Matter for the same reason).

Give me a list of 5 characters you really enjoy playing, and I'll tell you if they work with Dr. Strange. Unless you want to anchor him, then you can put almost anyone second and do well.

Also, I tried Shuma. I didn't realize Shuma used charge attacks. I am terribad with charge attacks.
You and me both. Shuma-Gorath's take a long time to charge, too. WHY CAPCOM WHY?!

I just went 0-2 at a tournament because of Captain America I'm so fucking salty.

How do I deal with him?
Good Captain America? Predict the TK shield slash. Bad Captain America? Wait for the random, unprotected Charging Star.

Yeah, bad ones are not that troublesome, the problem is the ones that aren't bad =.=

Depends on your characters. He's a pain in the ass for me too, but anytime I have trouble with a character I just start using them. Cap/Spencer/Strange has been awesome....until Cap dies. Anyway, who do you use?

Nova/Strider/Rocket

How come nobody does crazy airdash mixups with Vergil's devil trigger and swords on? I see people use both all the time but they just do a bunch of dash unders and jS shit like usual.

edit: didn't know you could auto correct normals with blistering swords, makes sense.

Sayah

Work on it regardless!

I'm gonna consciously try to make an effort to do more assist calling.

Do you like Strange, or his assist? Because Dagger of Denak is a pretty crappy assist.
I like Strange in general. I just have his daggers of denak assist because it's useful for Trish combos that I never get to do. lol

Trish/Dr. Strange combo is in this video I just created. I really like experimenting stuff and it's a great feeling when you come with stuff on your own instead of from youtube combo videos.
IMO you should work on doing the following with Trish:
1) Jump, air dash up, fly, tri-dash forward, dive kick + assist call
2) Jump, double jump, fly, tri-dash forward, dive kick + assist call

Then you should switch Dr. Strange to Bolts of Balthakk, because it's just better than Dagger of Denak.

Yeah, I need to work on flying and movement in general. I also didn't know I could call assists while doing the dive kick in air. Interesting...........

And tri-dash is her f,f,d cancel right? The dash cancel move that's used to get across the stage rather fast?

Now, you have three options:
1) Anchor Strange, and do your best to win with your first two characters, because Dr. Strange anchor is like Shuma-Gorath anchor - not good.
2) Put Dr. Strange second, and give him a good assist to work with.
3) Get an OTG assist and learn how to Round Harvest into FotF loops.

It's purely a stylistic choice.

I have had anchor Strange so far but I don't think it works well for me. I really probably should have him as the second character.

Also not sure what FotF loops are.

If you want to see good Dr. Strange play, PM SagaFX on PSN. Best Strange I've seen by far.
Nice. I will. I had also played with darealcooky who you had recommended earlier for Trish play and he uses her really well.

Basics of how to play Dr. Strange:
1) You have no safe blockstrings. None. At all. Your closest is c.LH, dp.M, which is still not 100% safe against everyone.

Wow, so closeup play is not great for him.
2) Your top priority, until you learn matchups, is to get Eye of Agamotto on the screen or get into a position where you can put it on the screen.

Is there any way to move Eye of Agamotto on screen aside from doing f+h? And can you control the movement of where the projectile goes or no?

3) Dashing up and doing Mystic Sword L is one of the best anti-airs in the game and leads to full combos.

I never even used mystic sword with him. This will be useful.

4) Skip Grace of Hoggoth until you really understand the character.

Yeah, I don't even use grace of hoggoth. This is my supplementary bnb combo. :lol

Up close, do c.LH, Eye of Agamotto or c.LH, Mystic Sword M. You can do c.LH, Mystic Sword L, but only against large characters.

Far away, you have two keepaway patterns without assists:
1) Eye of Agamotto, Impact Palm x Grace of Hoggoth L, Flame of the Faltine - repeat
2) Eye of Agamotto, Dagger of Denak M, Impact Palm x Dagger of Denak M - repeat

This stuff I definitely need to note b/c I freeze up when I have him out as opposed to Trish where I have some general idea of what to do.

Against other keepaway characters, Mystic Sword wins almost all exchanges because it has 8 durability and comes out fast. Rarely, I repeat, rarely should you cancel your Impact Palm into a teleport to mix up the Eye of Agamotto. This should be rare because:
1) If it's blocked, you're next to your opponent, and that's not good even with frame advantage with Dr. Strange.
2) If it hits, you need to be good enough to convert off of it at very awkward angles and heights.

Ah, so it's not as effective as say Dormammu doing forward+h and teleporting for a mixup? Good to know.

Give me a list of 5 characters you really enjoy playing, and I'll tell you if they work with Dr. Strange. Unless you want to anchor him, then you can put almost anyone second and do well.

Aside from Trish, I would probably say the following 5 I really like:

(I'm gonna list the negatives I have even with the ones I most enjoy playing)

She-Hulk - The nerfs in UMvC3 hurt her. And it's literally very hard for her to even get contact against a strong projectile opponent such as your Dorm/Shuma combination yesterday. She can just stand there and take chip damage all day. haha. But I like how agile she is and her high health and strong damage output is always a plus.

Ammy - Really like ammy but I don't like the low health and some of her stylish combos require switching between her different weapons fast.......something which I'm unable to do. So I end up just doing basic BnB with her which is annoying because I want to do more.

Ghost Rider - Really like his combos but I also suck with him and don't know how to properly use hiim.

Deadpool - It's hard for me to control him on stage and I don't know what to do when an opponent is up-close to him.

Magneto - Used him a lot in vanilla. But the combo I used to do with him in vanilla doesn't work in ultimate anymore. Specifically - d+l, d+m, d+h, s, j.m, j.m, j.h, qcb+s, j.l, j.m, j.h, forward dash, j.m, j.m, j.h, forward dash, j.m, j.m, j.h, s. qcf+l+m.

The new combos I see now for him I can't seem to do.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";54759864]How come nobody does crazy airdash mixups with Vergil's devil trigger and swords on? I see people use both all the time but they just do a bunch of dash unders and jS shit like usual.[/QUOTE]
Because they don't need to.

I'm gonna consciously try to make an effort to do more assist calling.
Excellent.

I like Strange in general. I just have his daggers of denak assist because it's useful for Trish combos that I never get to do. lol

Trish/Dr. Strange combo is in this video I just created. I really like experimenting stuff and it's a great feeling when you come with stuff on your own instead of from youtube combo videos.
I'm almost certain that you can do something similar with Bolts of Balthakk, but something more like, after your mid-combo dive kick: s.L + bolts, s.M, s.H, Round Trip, [stuff].

Some combo stuff you might be interested in:
Trish/Strange bnb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lWjljICt3M
Trish TAC combo (non-infinite): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et-ForCMJxg
Trish TAC infinite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq44t43kOEo
Dr. Strange FotF loop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6d6PZXxPYI
My Strange bnb (mine's a little better): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFt4nzUBkWQ
How to kill anyone at any time with Strange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXFIIHvtAXU

Yeah, I need to work on flying and movement in general. I also didn't know I could call assists while doing the dive kick in air. Interesting...........
The only times you can't call assists is when you're performing a special, in hit/blockstun, or have superjumped.

And tri-dash is her f,f,d cancel right? The dash cancel move that's used to get across the stage rather fast?
Tridash is any time you jump and air dash down-forward or down-back. Don't use double-taps to air dash or dash in Marvel, use two button pushes (like hypers).

I have had anchor Strange so far but I don't think it works well for me. I really probably should have him as the second character.
Indeed, and I'm sure that combo I posted will cement that decision. If you don't want to play Dr. Strange on point, though, you can put him second and DHC your anchor in safely. That's what I do on some teams.

Also not sure what FotF loops are.
Now you know!

Nice. I will. I had also played with darealcooky who you had recommended earlier for Trish play and he uses her really well.
Excellent.

Wow, so closeup play is not great for him.
A little better than Dormammu, really.

Is there any way to move Eye of Agamotto on screen aside from doing f+h? And can you control the movement of where the projectile goes or no?
Nope and nope. The Eye always tracks.

Ah, so it's not as effective as say Dormammu doing forward+h and teleporting for a mixup? Good to know.
It's not as effective at opening people up, but Eye of Agamotto is better for maintaining space. SagaFX convinced me that Rapid Slash (Vergil) is Dr. Strange's best assist, because you can turn any blocked IPed Eye into a full-screen pushback, resetting Dr. Strange's keepaway game. Super effective.

Aside from Trish, I would probably say the following 5 I really like:

(I'm gonna list the negatives I have even with the ones I most enjoy playing)

She-Hulk - The nerfs in UMvC3 hurt her. And it's literally very hard for her to even get contact against a strong projectile opponent such as your Dorm/Shuma combination yesterday. She can just stand there and take chip damage all day. haha. But I like how agile she is and her high health and strong damage output is always a plus.

Ammy - Really like ammy but I don't like the low health and some of her stylish combos require switching between her different weapons fast.......something which I'm unable to do. So I end up just doing basic BnB with her which is annoying because I want to do more.

Ghost Rider - Really like his combos but I also suck with him and don't know how to properly use hiim.

Deadpool - It's hard for me to control him on stage and I don't know what to do when an opponent is up-close to him.

Magneto - Used him a lot in vanilla. But the combo I used to do with him in vanilla doesn't work in ultimate anymore. Specifically - d+l, d+m, d+h, s, j.m, j.m, j.h, qcb+s, j.l, j.m, j.h, forward dash, j.m, j.m, j.h, forward dash, j.m, j.m, j.h, s. qcf+l+m.

The new combos I see now for him I can't seem to do.
I would go toward Ammy, personally.

Here's a scrubby combo with her:
s.LMH, f.HHHHHS, sj.MMHHH, qcf.H, s.H, f.H, s.S, qcf.AA (tiger knee it to superjump cancel)

That'll get you far while learning her. She's a beast of an anchor.

My advice to getting better with assists is simply to first just use quick relatively safe assists such as Hulk Anti Air or Morrigan Meter Gain to get used to calling out assists during combo's and in the fray. Next move onto decent neutral assists like beams or anti airs and get used to using an assist a little more safely and creating combo extenders or making space. Lastly use some of the more risky assists like Sentinal Drones or Strange's Bolts to practice full screen setups and control. You may have to go out of your character zone but assists are very very important in this game and using them correctly in your team in key to victory. Just because drones is a good assist doesn't make it easy mode as soon as you call it, you have to know things like timing, assist protection and when to strike. It can be worth the practice for your main team in understanding this.

Shoutouts to Twilt for the great matches.

I really need to work on my Nova and Ammy though ;_;

My Nova is pretty decent, I'm getting down ground movement a lot better, but my Ammy, still being basically a week or so old, is pretty ass so far.

Marz

Lol I've been doing this scrubby thing lately where I foot dive and then dash cancel up and foot dive again...like everybody gets hit by it haha some guy called me a scumbag.

Edit: or my favorite in the corner foot dive dash cancel forward cross up foot dive lololo.

Zissou

Lol I've been doing this scrubby thing lately where I foot dive and then dash cancel up and foot dive again...like everybody gets hit by it haha some guy called me a scumbag.

Haha- whatever works. I remember LakeEarth posting something similar, where he would x-factor cancel an unsafe footdive, and then immediately do another footdive.

Marz

Haha- whatever works. I remember LakeEarth posting something similar, where he would x-factor cancel an unsafe footdive, and then immediately do another footdive.

Lol foot dive dash cancel foot dive xfactor foot dive bwaahahaha 3 foot dives I can just imagine the salt.

Solune

Goddamn that Shuma-Gorath combo is the most finicky thing ever. Sometimes the s.H whiffs entirely or only hits once, sometimes my opponent recovers before Mystic Stare hits, and sometimes my opponent falls to the ground before I can dash up and launch. -_- I successfully completed it 3 times in about 2 hours of practice. :-(

Should've had this up a while ago but... I'm slow? anyways hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGO7ICGr7_A&feature=youtu.be

Yes it's really hard but if you get even the first part of it off, it's worth it. The s.H should not whiff, if it does it might be due to character size or you're pressing it too late, I suspect it's the latter and not the former.

I also put this into the Youtube notes but in case you miss it, the Firebrand extension can be interchangeable with Dormammu's assist and in that case you would use Mystic Stare L and not M, so it's easier and gives you more frame advantage, there also isn't any disadvantage to my knowledge.

Edit: or my favorite in the corner foot dive dash cancel forward cross up foot dive lololo.
The next level of scumbag is XFCing the second footdive into a third one.

Should've had this up a while ago but... I'm slow? anyways hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGO7ICGr7_A&feature=youtu.be

Yes it's really hard but if you get even the first part of it off, it's worth it. The s.H should not whiff, if it does it might be due to character size or you're pressing it too late, I suspect it's the latter and not the former.

I also put this into the Youtube notes but in case you miss it, the Firebrand extension can be interchangeable with Dormammu's assist and in that case you would use Mystic Stare L and not M, so it's easier and gives you more frame advantage, there also isn't any disadvantage to my knowledge.
I've tried using Dark Hole, but the window between the raw tag and the OTG is so small that it's hard to hit consistently. At least OTGing by itself isn't hard.

Anyway, I can't watch the video because goddamn Youtube is complaining about my browser not supporting HTML5 all the time even though I just updated it a week ago. Anyone know how to handle that? -_- Firefox 20.0.1 here.

Edit: And now it works. Goddamn Youtube. Thank you so much. What is the song that's playing? I imagine it's GnG-related. It's nice.

Also, when you do the Dormammu -> Shuma-Gorath DHC while eyes are on, you can use Chaotic Flame instead of Stalking Flare for more damage.

FSLink

Banned

I like doing this then after they're conditioned to expect it, XF, dash up throw.

Solune

I've tried using Dark Hole, but the window between the raw tag and the OTG is so small that it's hard to hit consistently. At least OTGing by itself isn't hard.

Anyway, I can't watch the video because goddamn Youtube is complaining about my browser not supporting HTML5 all the time even though I just updated it a week ago. Anyone know how to handle that? -_- Firefox 20.0.1 here.

Edit: And now it works. Goddamn Youtube. Thank you so much. What is the song that's playing? I imagine it's GnG-related. It's nice.

Also, when you do the Dormammu -> Shuma-Gorath DHC while eyes are on, you can use Chaotic Flame instead of Stalking Flare for more damage.

My execution isn't nearly god tier or anything but, I hit the OTG after the Rawtag about 95% of the time, I think you may need to act quicker as the window is larger than it appears.

The song is "The Infinite Demon" from Demon's Crest, I thought you'd like something in that vain =D.

Oh, so you can Chaotic Flame and still get the follow up from the eyes?

My execution isn't nearly god tier or anything but, I hit the OTG after the Rawtag about 95% of the time, I think you may need to act quicker as the window is larger than it appears.

The song is "The Infinite Demon" from Demon's Crest, I thought you'd like something in that vain =D.

Oh, so you can Chaotic Flame and still get the follow up from the eyes?
Yeah, I tried Chaotic Flame and Stalking Flare. Or, at least it worked from just doing Mystic Stare L x Hyper Mystic Ray. I doubt hitstun would ruin anything, though.

I also tried a raw tag combo with Dormammu in the style of that Vergil one in the video you posted, and I couldn't get it to work.

And your execution is top tier at least, Solune. You do HS sword loops with Vergil, and I've never seen anyone do them consistently at a tournament.

Sayah

I'm almost certain that you can do something similar with Bolts of Balthakk, but something more like, after your mid-combo dive kick: s.L + bolts, s.M, s.H, Round Trip, [stuff].

I tried that. The round trip doesn't connect unfortunately.

Some combo stuff you might be interested in:
Trish/Strange bnb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lWjljICt3M
Trish TAC combo (non-infinite): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et-ForCMJxg
Trish TAC infinite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq44t43kOEo
Dr. Strange FotF loop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6d6PZXxPYI
My Strange bnb (mine's a little better): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFt4nzUBkWQ
How to kill anyone at any time with Strange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXFIIHvtAXU
Niiiiiice.

I tried the FotF loop. Can't seem to do it. Once I take the opponent in the air, that's where it ends. :/ I also can't do the bnb you do with strange. Having same problem connecting stuff. Thanks for the vids, though. I'm practicing all this stuff.

The only times you can't call assists is when you're performing a special, in hit/blockstun, or have superjumped.

Tridash is any time you jump and air dash down-forward or down-back. Don't use double-taps to air dash or dash in Marvel, use two button pushes (like hypers).
This is all good to know. Because I do double tap instead of two button pushes.

It's not as effective at opening people up, but Eye of Agamotto is better for maintaining space. SagaFX convinced me that Rapid Slash (Vergil) is Dr. Strange's best assist, because you can turn any blocked IPed Eye into a full-screen pushback, resetting Dr. Strange's keepaway game. Super effective.

Vergil was another character I was looking towards but I'll stick with ammy for now.

I would go toward Ammy, personally.

Here's a scrubby combo with her:
s.LMH, f.HHHHHS, sj.MMHHH, qcf.H, s.H, f.H, s.S, qcf.AA (tiger knee it to superjump cancel)

That'll get you far while learning her. She's a beast of an anchor.

I trained up some more with ammy. Getting better. Now I have a team of Trish/Dr. Strange/Ammy. I'm gonna try not to switch characters now b/c that's all I've been doing. Just sticking with this and figuring stuff out. I'll explore more team combinations once I have an actual solid team I can rely on.

As always, appreciate all the info you're providing.
My advice to getting better with assists is simply to first just use quick relatively safe assists such as Hulk Anti Air or Morrigan Meter Gain to get used to calling out assists during combo's and in the fray. Next move onto decent neutral assists like beams or anti airs and get used to using an assist a little more safely and creating combo extenders or making space. Lastly use some of the more risky assists like Sentinal Drones or Strange's Bolts to practice full screen setups and control. You may have to go out of your character zone but assists are very very important in this game and using them correctly in your team in key to victory. Just because drones is a good assist doesn't make it easy mode as soon as you call it, you have to know things like timing, assist protection and when to strike. It can be worth the practice for your main team in understanding this.

Thanks. I'll try this. Is ammy's meter gain assist just as safe as morrigan's? I'll switch to that assist instead of cold star for a while just to test out and improve assist-calling.

Frantic

This is one of those things you can't apply anything but 'YOLO' to. It's like Lariat > X-Factor > Lariat, Shield Skills > s.S > X-Factor > Shield Skills > s.S, and various other stupid options that some people do. And then it becomes a really, really dumb mindgame where you're expecting them to X-Factor into something stupid, but they don't, and they just get away with the initial stupid shit. >_>

I tried the FotF loop. Can't seem to do it. Once I take the opponent in the air, that's where it ends. :/ I also can't do the bnb you do with strange. Having same problem connecting stuff. Thanks for the vids, though. I'm practicing all this stuff.
FotF loop is really really hard. Frantic made a video that got me to do my first rep ever, maybe he'll be a gem and post it after reading this.

The Strange bnb is actually really easy once you get it down. It's all about delaying that first MMH, f.H superjump air series properly. Wait as long as possible between each attack.

This is all good to know. Because I do double tap instead of two button pushes.
Ah, bad habit!

I trained up some more with ammy. Getting better. Now I have a team of Trish/Dr. Strange/Ammy. I'm gonna try not to switch characters now b/c that's all I've been doing. Just sticking with this and figuring stuff out. I'll explore more team combinations once I have an actual solid team I can rely on.

As always, appreciate all the info you're providing.
Check these videos out for Strange/Ammy synergy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-INiL1AnC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryp8qvcbB8Q

Thanks. I'll try this. Is ammy's meter gain assist just as safe as morrigan's? I'll switch to that assist instead of cold star for a while just to test out and improve assist-calling.
Ammy's meter assist is pure suicide.

Dahbomb

MODOK no TAC infinite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rlFlaH4qjzA
Is this new guys? It's certainly new to me.
This is definitely new but it seems suspect. The damage isn't scaling (he is killing way too fast for an infinite and MODOK doesn't exactly have high scaling values) which means this is a glitch. It's remained to be seen if this is a training mode only glitch or something you can actually do in a match.

Needs further testing. Reminds me of the Deadpool plus Drones touch of death along with the Chun Li touch of death. They essentially involved a "reset" within a combo but one that doesn't register on the combo meter and you essentially get multiple combos back to back leading into a TOD.

Also the FGTV Balance Suggestion discussion if you guys want to catch up (still can't believe Magus convinced the other two that Harddrive loops should be removed on the basis of it looks stupid):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47K1S83gJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFKrdkXlIDE

Frantic

FotF loop is really really hard. Frantic made a video that got me to do my first rep ever, maybe he'll be a gem and post it after reading this.
Wasn't me who made that one. I'm pretty sure it was Caj. This one, if I'm not mistaken.

(still can't believe Magus convinced the other two that Harddrive loops should be removed on the basis of it looks stupid)
Magus is the worst at balance patches.

Top Bottom