• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Sayah

Ah, that's a mistake. Wolverine is a small character and can make learning combos more difficult. I recommend picking a medium-sized character as your training mode opponent. I usually pick Chris or Ryu.

Wow, didn't know that. I end up picking wolverine since he's usually the first highlighted character for CPU. Will go with Ryu from now on.

A better slide as a trade for the length of red Voomerang is a terrible trade, especially considering how long you have to charge it in the first place.
Perhaps, but that was not the argument I was responding to - you always change your stance mid-way. Arguing with you is always like watching you dance alone.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
But long slides are awesome. See: Nova's stupid ass slide.

How are you even supposed to deal with fully charged boomerangs? I've never had it done against me.

But long slides are awesome. See: Nova's stupid ass slide.

How are you even supposed to deal with fully charged boomerangs? I've never had it done against me.
You have to either hit Joe out of a charge so the stream stops, or burn up a Voomerang via a hyper so he loses momentum. It's kind of like the Viewtiful Joe equivalent of Dormammu's 1D2C. If you don't have a projectile, you're screwed.

Dahbomb

Yeah if you are one of the bad characters in the game you will get locked down by the Red Voomerangs and will get chipped out. He still has to set it up properly and be at the correct space but once it's set up it's a nightmare for most characters. If you have a good fast durable projectile you can negate the Voomerang somewhat because they have don't have that high durability.

That is essentially what Viscant was talking about when it comes to Joe. I mean Joe to me is like Firebrand or X23 in the game... decent and fair characters overall but has one dumb thing that makes them really stupid. You tone down the dumb thing and buff their other lesser traits.

Azure J

Anyone want to play now? I'm feeling oddly good about my play after having a set where I went something dumb like 14 - 3 with a Morridoom team. The guy in question was really rusty, but seeing myself use so many of my teams tools so well just gave me a mental :D face.

Anyone want to play now? I'm feeling oddly good about my play after having a set where I went something dumb like 14 - 3 with a Morridoom team. The guy in question was really rusty, but seeing myself use so many of my teams tools so well just gave me a mental :D face.
I would, but... :-(

Maybe one of those 360 owners could mail me a copy if they're tired and bitter toward the game. :-X

Man, Swapped Doom with Frank West as 2nd character. So now its Nova/Frank/Strider or Strange. Can't believe how good cart is at certain ranges and it builds so much meter for DHC.

Don't know how to use Lvl1 Frank though.

I changed my team to Nova/Frank/Doom and am having way more fun than I used to (especially if I get the first hit)

MERRY CHRISTMAS, KARST
LOL, that goddamn lag made me drop so many crucial things. As soon as I pressed the THC and the screen froze, I saw Arthur get up and just thought "fuck".

GGs and good team. The lag was starting to drive me nuts after a while, though. I like your Viewtiful Joe pressure with Dagger Toss, once you get me to block one Voomerang + Dagger Toss there's a ton of pressure I have to survive. Shuma-Gorath combos make me sad. I'm still hoping I'll figure out an XF3 infinite for him, but no dice so far. I also couldn't figure out any rhyme or reason to your TAC attempts.

LOL, that goddamn lag made me drop so many crucial things. As soon as I pressed the THC and the screen froze, I saw Arthur get up and just thought "fuck".

GGs and good team. The lag was starting to drive me nuts after a while, though. I like your Viewtiful Joe pressure with Dagger Toss, once you get me to block one Voomerang + Dagger Toss there's a ton of pressure I have to survive. Shuma-Gorath combos make me sad. I'm still hoping I'll figure out an XF3 infinite for him, but no dice so far. I also couldn't figure out any rhyme or reason to your TAC attempts.

Yeah, there were a couple of spots where lag would pop up and just ruin a lot of things.

It also stinks that I can't DHC Trick into Slow against Shuma since he pops up so high in the air. It's either cancel into Slow immediately, or let the damage rock and do Six Machine Cannon at the end.

And yeah, I don't really choose a TAC direction ahead of time. I just try and guess which direction the opponent is mashing since any direction will work when it comes to leveling up Frank.

What's the highest damage solo akuma combo? I'm just under 1.05 mil.

Also figured out the sickest Akuma reset ever. Do a jump loop off of ground bounce, max it out then do a demon flip divekick. If they tech back or neutral, it goes behind them as they're recovering and it looks like it's inside them ^_^

If they're mashing assist, it'll probably hit that too.

Speaking of, if you call doom beam while you're cornered, does he appear offscreen?

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55380612]What's the highest damage solo akuma combo? I'm just under 1.05 mil.

Also figured out the sickest Akuma reset ever. Do a jump loop off of ground bounce, max it out then do a demon flip divekick. If they tech back or neutral, it goes behind them as they're recovering and it looks like it's inside them ^_^

If they're mashing assist, it'll probably hit that too.

Speaking of, if you call doom beam while you're cornered, does he appear offscreen?[/QUOTE]

Corner only

j.S xx j.Light Tatsu, st.HS, super jump, j.H xx j.Light Tatsu xx Ball Hyper, j.S, Demonflip Divekick OTG, S, super jump, j.H xx j.Heavy Tatsu xx Ball Hyper, j.S, air fireball xx Beam Hyper.

That's 3 hypers in one solo combo, should do around like 1.2 million. You can try adding in more normals in certain parts of the combos, but hitstun decay will kick in more during the heavy tatsu.

The most damaging solo combo midscreen is probably the Demonflip Palm loop.

ShadyK's top 5 shells

What characters would you rank as the “top tier” in UMvC3?

This debate. Always this debate. I always say you can’t really rank characters individually, so the next best thing is to rank “shells” or whole teams. So, what I’ll do is rate “shells” for now and go into solo “anchor” characters in another blog post when I get around to it since this part is going to be kind of lengthy.

1. Morrigan/Doom (Hidden Missiles). This shell probably has the best neutral game that we currently know of. All of Morrigan’s damage is riskless (with the exception of the first 2 seconds of the match.) As long as you can get an Astral Vision started, you’re guaranteed a ton of damage. But, there is a common misconception that Morrigan is braindead or easy. Way far from the truth. She actually takes a lot of execution and good judgment making. The goal is simple; to make them block or get hit by a ton of Soul Fists, but there’s a lot of positioning-based decisions you have to make to get to that point. All of this isn’t THAT great without Hidden Missiles, though. There are so many reasons Hidden Missiles make this duo powerful. The obvious ones are: combo breaker (a character who does riskless damage getting a second lease on life) and the zoning/positioning lockdown you get from the missiles tracking. A subtle, but important reason is that Morrigan can always build meter as long as you’re keeping up with your Doom-calling. Since missiles track and you’re forcing them to block or get hit by them almost ALL of the time (even without Astral Vision), you’re getting a bit of meter for free from the missiles, which in turn gets you more Astral Visions.

2. Wolverine/Doom (Plasma Beam). An explosive shell that makes a mostly risky character into an abnormally safe one. The great thing about this shell is that doesn’t take much effort to play. The strategy is simple and the combos aren’t exactly hard. You call Doom and attack. The way Wolverines usually get hit is on his recovery of his dive kick and Berserker Slashes. Plasma Beam eliminates most of that. Combine this with a corner-carry assist (like Vergil’s Rapid Slash), and you get a 66% chance of killing any character with the Doom infinite off of ANY opening. Also, Wolverine is the best character in the game at the start of the match.

3. Zero/Dante (Jam Session). If you’ve ever had to block a Jam Session versus a good Zero player, you already know what I’m talking about. Zero almost just never lets you play once you get hit. The incoming setups of Jam Session are like four layers long. Even if you block the first setup, a good Zero will make you eat two or three more before you’re out, and pretty much any hit you take should kill you. Fortunately, Lightning Loops are dropped all the time and Zero isn’t exactly the easiest character to play (aside from falling around pizza cutting people). Also, Jam Session assist in the mid-screen neutral game isn’t the best (more Zeros are complementing their team with Vajra or Plasma Beam though because of this).

4. Firebrand/Skrull (Tenderizer or Amaterasu (Cold Star). More duos that don’t let you play! If you know me, I can’t help but love watching someone just get dominated by unblockables the whole match. I’m kinda sadistic I guess. Firebrand is almost on the same level of Zero when it comes to single player mode, but I don’t think his neutral is as good as Zero’s. The advantage I’d give to Firebrand over Zero is that it’s a bit easier. Your goal is to basically land a Bon Voyage or throw, and then go into the snapback loop (with Firebrand’s unblockable + lockdown assist setup), until their whole team is dead.

5. Magneto/Doom (any assist). Really popular duo in my neck of the woods. The reason Magneto/Doom is so powerful, especially when paired with a meter-hungry anchor like Vergil or Phoenix, is because Magneto has almost everything that makes a great neutral character good. He has powerful zoning tools (especially Magnetic Blast), powerful high-low offense, great flight maneuverability, a solo corner carry, and his combos build tons of meter while doing tons of damage. Land one hit into a Doom TAC infinite and the game is practically yours. This is such a versatile duo in that you can change Doom’s assist to whatever situation you need. Versus ground game-based teams, Plasma Beam, versus limited-mobility teams Hidden Missiles, and versus big-boy armor characters you could pick Molecular Shield.

5. Viper/Strider (Vajra), Viper/Dante (Jam Session). I couldn’t decide which shell was better between Viper/Strider and Magneto/Doom, so I’ll just make up rules and tie them. Viper/Strider is kind of like Magneto/Doom in that she also has everything Magneto has, just in a different form. She’s a bit more difficult to play, but the time invested is worth it. The edge she has over Magneto is that she has a “don’t let you play” unblockable setup and invincible reversals that can lead to dead characters. The disadvantage she has compared to Magneto is that her normal attacks aren’t as strong and her lack of a flight mode, making her high-low game a little bit more difficult to implement. Also, awkward superjump hit confirms are much more difficult with Viper. The reason Vajra is so important with Viper is that she can pin you down into where she wants you and if you happen to get hit by a Vajra, she can OTG and kill you.

onionfrog

I wish capcom would release another expansion to this game.
It's been long enough since ultimate that it shouldn't be seen by the masses as blatant milking. They could cross-promote characters for Ironman 3, Avengers 2 and whatever other movies Marvel is working on...
:(
Or fighters of capcom, that'd be really great.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55448496]You can't do it in the air so it's automatically out.[/QUOTE]
In that case it's Taskmaster legion hyper or SoV.

Actually SoV is the best hyper in the game because it can instantly lead into 2 characters dead from any part of the screen.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
In that case it's Taskmaster legion hyper or SoV.

Actually SoV is the best hyper in the game because it can instantly lead into 2 characters dead from any part of the screen.

SoV is too unsafe on block. I'd go with Legion Arrow. I don't see how Summon Swords isn't the best lvl 1 Hyper in the game, despite needing to be grounded.

And it's also negative on block. I really do think Photon Array has the most diverse utility of any hyper in the game.

• Hits almost the entire screen and positive on block so it's hard to punish
  • Clears out the neutral game
  • Carries incoming characters to the ground for mixups
  • awesome hyper for switching characters
  • is really quick so it's fantastic for THCs
  • is attached to Doom

Dahbomb

I mean compared to Photon Array which does SHIT damage as a DHC in hyper... SoV also OTGs as a DHC/THC and decent damage no matter how its hit. SoV is game breaking at times where as Photon Array is an annoyance most of the time.

SoV has:

*Instant activation, if they weren't blocking they get hit
*Tracks from full screen at any point on the screen
*Because of those two properties SoV can DHC into ANY hyper in the game
*Hits OTG so is usable for DHC and THC purposes
*Low amount of active frames which means coupled with Amaterasu THC you have enough time to set up mix ups or other shenanigans
*Hits multiple characters at once, can wipe out 2 characters instantly
*Does decent damage no matter how its hit (reliable)

If the hyper was safe it would be broken.

Due to the DHC punish ability of Sov into guaranteed death due to FoF loops, it is retarded good.

Also, Whedon hinted that the Maximoffs may be in Avengers 2 with brother-sister act tease, so if expansion happens at least one will make it and most likely Wanda due to how many games she has been put in.

Carry on.

SoV has:

*Instant activation, if they weren't blocking they get hit
No, it doesn't. You're confused because it always starts up if he pulls out the book. It's +1 after the flash, like half the hypers in the game.

*Because of those two properties SoV can DHC into ANY hyper in the game

*Low amount of active frames which means coupled with Amaterasu THC you have enough time to set up mix ups or other shenanigans
*Does decent damage no matter how its hit (reliable)
*but not out
*unless it actually hits, then SoV pulls them out of the hits of most hypers, and he can neither crossup in the corner, do high/low mixups or otg quickly making the ammy thing not as ideal as you'd think
*except it actually does really ass damage in combos

The one thing that's good is that you forgot to add is that you can cross counter with it and link two together.
No love to Storm's Ice DHC?
I'd put it 4 or 5, Nova's charging hyper is up there too.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55454460]I pretty much rate everything by how versatile it is, which is why Magneto is the best character :)[/quote]
Yeah, and I think there are many more versatile hypers than Photon Array. I wouldn't even put it in the top 10.

Besides, Doom has Sphere Flame for that.
Which has nothing to do with how good Photon Array is.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55455584]Sure it does. "is attached to Doom"[/QUOTE]

If you're using the "attached to character" logic, then you have to consider all hypers relative to their characters. I still think Summon Swords wins out then, because it's attached to Vergil.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55455584]Sure it does. "is attached to Doom"[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55448280]Speaking of Doom, I think Photon Array is the best overall hyper in the game.[/QUOTE]
Stay on your own goddamn topic GB.

Dahbomb

If we are using the "attached to character" non sense then Vergil has the best LVL1 hyper fucking free. Mostly because he already has an air hyper to DHC out with so he doesn't fucking need aerial Spiral Swords to bail out.

*DHC in Spiral Sword is safe in 90%+ of situations. On block it's 100% safe. I mean technically it's safer than Photon Arrow because Spiral Sword can't be hit by Nova's YOLO hyper or SoV or Viper's hypers.

*DHC after a combo into Spiral Sword is the closest thing we have to a walking DHC glitch in the game. Low damage character lead into TOD because of Spiral Swords.

*With a tracking teleport Vergil with SS can DHC into most hypers in the game

*Spiral Swords loops into itself for high damage.

*Spiral Swords can set up unblockables with a high hitting assist like Nova.

*Spiral Sword allows Vergil to cancel moves into it like Rapid Slash for TODs.

*Spiral Swords negates the neutral game or whatever fucking screen cleaning shit you put out. Photon Array? Shits on that hyper. Shockwave? No. SoV? No. Gimlet? No. Only big time beams can beat it... most projectile hypers get beat by it it even fucking negates EX Seismo.

*Sets up mix ups with Round Trip and assists.

*Sets up lock down situations with RT Glitch and Missiles plus other assists.

*Spiral Sword >>> Ouroborus and Phoenix meaning he counter picks other top anchors and establishes himself as the one true god of anchors.

*Spiral Swords goes into superior formations like Blistering Swords and Storm Swords which further negate any XF anchor characters.

Oh and it's attached to a character who can win games without ever using it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55458444]I think Doom is better than Vergil.[/QUOTE]

I think he is too. I don't think that makes Photon Array a better Hyper.

What I was trying to say is that Summon Swords complements Vergil's base arsenal. It makes the rest of him substantially better, and any deficiencies in the Hyper are eliminated by the character himself.

Top Bottom