• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Zissou

10 frames x 3 low durability points.

As for Alpha Countering... no idea, really. Never really tried it.

Thanks for the durability info. After using weasel shot for so long (which seemed pretty terrible to use for an alpha counter), I was hoping jam session would give me a chance to finally use the mechanic. I guess I'll have to experiment with it and see what I can find. I assume if you can get it to connect, you can DT for a full combo. Does Strider get much mileage out of jam session?

onionfrog

Oh yeah, and for anyone who cares about what's going on in my life: I just got my last rejection from my Ph.D programs after being waitlisted for a while. My wife and I plan on moving to Colorado because Chicago is ass. So, if anyone is around Colorado, see you there, and hook me up with locals. I have to figure out a new path in life after wasting a bunch of time (2 years) and money ($80,000) on my MA program.
I'm sorry to hear it Karst. Best of luck to you on moving. I'm sure things will work out.
Hell, I graduated with my BA last year and spent a few months being stressed out and freaking out about job applications and interviews, but it ultimately worked out and I've got a pretty good job now.
Anyways, good luck and we need to play some Mahvel on PSN sometime soon! (If you have time that is...)

I love charge characters, but for Marvel? That's just whack.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I love playing Guile in Street Fighter, but I can't play charge characters in this game. Which is a shame because otherwise I'd abuse Shuma for his assist.

Sorry to hear about that stuff, Karst.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55551980]What's a good C.Viper BnB? I'm hitting around 660k meterless right now.[/QUOTE]

Actual meterless, or "meterless" with EX moves?

Actual meterless, or "meterless" with EX moves?

Actual meterless, but I'm using one assist that wallbounces. It's about 580k without it.

edit: got it over 700k meterless, still not killing anything though.

H xx Thunder Knuckle M xx feint cancel, H xx Thunder Knuckle M xx feint cancel, MHS xx Seismo L sjc Burn Kick H, MHS xx Seismo L, sjc adf jHS, MHS, jMMH dj jMHS, A1(Wesker Palm), Seismo L sjc Burn Kick L, S, jHS, Seismo L

PKrockin

The Vita d-pad is seriously so much better. I can actually clear Ryu's mission 8 now. I could never do it before because I couldn't do the Shoryuken motion in a combo. Yes, I am that bad.

Dahbomb

Ahh, I was just curious. Zak Bennett apparently does it consistently with Doom, no? I haven't seen footage of him since he switched teams.
Apologyman does it all the time, it's practically his BnB when he really wants to kill a character.

FGTV is on with When's Marvel Weekly and the bracket is stacked for a weekly. It's the pre-Norcal tourney. Hype is guaranteed.

Azure J

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55551980]What's a good C.Viper BnB? I'm hitting around 660k meterless right now.[/QUOTE]

This is before super right? My go to most optimized is:

s.MH - Thunder Knuckle M - s.H - Thunder Knuckle M - s.MH - Thunder Knuckle M - Thunder Knuckle H - j.H - double jump - j.HS - Burn Kick Feint - j.HS - Burn Kick Feint - j.HS - land - s.HS - j.MMH - double jump - j.MMHS - Seismo L - Burst Time

890K at last check for the one meter, no assists. Not sure what it is without.

Also, shoutouts to getting props on my play from GreenAce today. :D

Zissou

Why is it so hard to do Doom's cross under
launcher welcome mix-up on Arthur in the corner? It's goddamn impossible to get underneath him. Works fine against the other characters I've tried.

Oh yeah, and for anyone who cares about what's going on in my life: I just got my last rejection from my Ph.D programs after being waitlisted for a while. My wife and I plan on moving to Colorado because Chicago is ass. So, if anyone is around Colorado, see you there, and hook me up with locals. I have to figure out a new path in life after wasting a bunch of time (2 years) and money ($80,000) on my MA program.

That really sucks man. Very sorry to hear. I read in another topic that you said your wife had a pretty sweet job are you guys moving for her job? I just hope you find something you can enjoy and support yourself with. Best of luck man.

You have good taste, sir. I'm no good at this either, so if you ever want to play, let me know. I was trying to learn Phoenix Wright combos today and I just struggled with the timing...

What combo's were you having trouble with? Wrights combos are pretty easy IMO. I think he is one of the lowest execution heavy characters in the game. The hard part is knowing what normal to start with in a given situation and where to go from there.

Fellow PW and Amaterasu fan? Awesome. I was finding it tough to use Ammy on the 360 because you have to switch weapons quickly. Sure I'll play you once I get these different controls figured out. Seems to be no way to set L+M+H without giving up something...

My PSN tag is KaizoMario.

Damn this game is good on the Vita. Way better d-pad than 360 or PS3, looks great on the OLED, and no input lag.

port okami to the vita already capcom, please

Welcome to the club fellow Wrighter. Add me on PSN and Vita if your looking for some games. I'd gladly help.

PSN: SlasherMcGirk

As for the button mapping, can the X360 sticks be clicked. I know on PS3 the sticks can pressed and mapped. I got X-Factor on R3. Try that maybe.

What combo's were you having trouble with? Wrights combos are pretty easy IMO. I think he is one of the lowest execution heavy characters in the game. The hard part is knowing what normal to start with in a given situation and where to go from there.

It's embarrassing, but you might've been able to tell from the last time we played a looong time ago--I could only do the typical LMH launch MMHS combos. Looking at Lythero's PW tutorial again, I just have a hard time incorporating the questioning during the aerial portions of combos, and I know that's pretty important so I'll be working on it.

Ah yes, and I'll be down to play some games later with people. Tomorrow I'll be playing my friend who's preparing for the Toryuken major next week. I haven't played him since the midnight launch of this game so it should be interesting.

Don't give up Anki! When you get the combos down you'll be shocked how much fun they are. It took me I don't know how many hundreds of tries to learn flight and magnetic blast combos in vanilla but now I can make up crazy combos with most of the cast!

Looking at Lythero's PW tutorial again, I just have a hard time incorporating the questioning during the aerial portions of combos, and I know that's pretty important so I'll be working on it.

It's not vital. 90% of the time I don't use the basic questioning into my combo's. My bread and butter Wright Investgation combo does 5,000 more damage if I don't add questioning into it. It's a meager difference but whatever. I only use a questioning combo if I already used Wesker's assist. I'd rather go with a combo that is stronger and "feels" right then to mess with the small added questioning bonus. A lot of Lythero's trial tutorial combo's are extremely situational and only relay on Wright without the help of other characters. It's an amazing guide (the most entertaining guide at that) none the less.

I would rather use a combo that I land 100% of the time than one that I only land 70% of the time. Don't move out of your skill spectrum until you feel you mastered it.

Wright's battle plan is actually similar to Dormammu. Not execution-heavy, but you have to pay attention to a lot of things other characters don't.

That really sucks man. Very sorry to hear. I read in another topic that you said your wife had a pretty sweet job are you guys moving for her job? I just hope you find something you can enjoy and support yourself with. Best of luck man.
I wouldn't say she has a sweet job. She works as a veterinary technician, which makes a little over $15 an hour for her $40,000 education. We're moving because Chicago is very expensive. We live in a ~600 square foot apartment right now and pay $850 a month, and that's a good deal around here. Plus this place is hideous. The only greenery you'll find is in designated areas. Broken down buildings, graffiti, and lots of traffic are the norm. We just want to live someplace nicer, warmer, and more affordable. Hence Colorado.

Thank you for your well-wishings.

PKrockin

As for the button mapping, can the X360 sticks be clicked. I know on PS3 the sticks can pressed and mapped. I got X-Factor on R3. Try that maybe.

Yeah, they can, but I didn't need to use them. I used L2 for X-Factor and R2 for dash, advancing guard, and hypers. X-factoring is easy but without clickable sticks or second shoulder buttons I'm having serious trouble trying to get used to pushing two buttons at once on the Vita. Wish they let you use the right analog stick for something...

I just did a L, M, H, Hold It, S, M, H, Hold It, M-Maya, H, S, M, M, H, S, Mode Change, Order in the Court for 537k damage. I am so proud of myself.

It's not vital. 90% of the time I don't use the basic questioning into my combo's. My bread and butter Wright Investgation combo does 5,000 more damage if I don't add questioning into it. It's a meager difference but whatever. I only use a questioning combo if I already used Wesker's assist. I'd rather go with a combo that is stronger and "feels" right then to mess with the small added questioning bonus. A lot of Lythero's trial tutorial combo's are extremely situational and only relay on Wright without the help of other characters. It's an amazing guide (the most entertaining guide at that) none the less.

I would rather use a combo that I land 100% of the time than one that I only land 70% of the time. Don't move out of your skill spectrum until you feel you mastered it.

Thanks guys! That actually makes me feel better, haha.

Would anyone like to play? If you want voice chat, I'm fine with that too. It's nice to have someone to talk to.

Edit: Never mindddd

Dahbomb

Give me a good reason why he would be better as on deck instead of anchor.
Skrull with select assists is pretty dangerous and most importantly safe. He has naturally solid damage off of most confirms/throws. Something like Lariat (for close ranged game) and Bolts or Drones are excellent for Skrull.

He can do YOLO call Bolts and do Meteor Smash at command. If it hits he gets a full combo with bolts. If they block he can go for mix up with command throw.

Anchor Skrull is pure YOLO mode but you need to make some proper reads. Random Meteor Smashes can backfire against experienced players.

Marz

So after watching that random dood beat Chris G I think everyone should play Jam Session against Morridoom....its soooo good.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55552204]Actual meterless, but I'm using one assist that wallbounces. It's about 580k without it.

edit: got it over 700k meterless, still not killing anything though.

H xx Thunder Knuckle M xx feint cancel, H xx Thunder Knuckle M xx feint cancel, MHS xx Seismo L sjc Burn Kick H, MHS xx Seismo L, sjc adf jHS, MHS, jMMH dj jMHS, A1(Wesker Palm), Seismo L sjc Burn Kick L, S, jHS, Seismo L[/QUOTE]

Here's my old Viper BnB when I used to use her >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMstsrECffU

As you see it's 770,800 meterless, but you can add S before you cancel for the first seismo of the combo so it'd be 780K+ meterless.

If you know how to do staircase loops, you can do just as much meterless but with no assists.

Any team that has Skrull on it and he's not that anchor is stupid. So roll Firebrand/Shuma/Skrull then I approve.

Give me a good reason why he would be better as on deck instead of anchor.

I'd much rather have a second with a strong assist supporting than two characters that can't help each other and pretty much fail unless I do a gimmicky random luck dark Skrull.

Also, after watching Rubeks and Apologyman run skrull to a lot of success recently, with very different playstyles and team compositions, I really think mystic ray would work great with him.

Azure J

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55701212]Believe in we who believe in you, Karst!

Also, I didn't know Burn Kick assist was a soft knockdown.[/QUOTE]

Burn Kick being a soft knockdown assist is the cornerstone for a lot of the shenanigans I have with my team.

Side note, Taxi made me jump on the Chris train. I'm going to keep a Chris/Dante/Strider pocket team. Anyone want to give me some basics?

onionfrog

Felicia on point.
What else?
Generally speaking:
A good fast Horizontal assist:
EX: Arthur Daggers, Doom Plasma Beam, Hawkeye's triple arrow.
A good Antiair assist:
EX: Strider's Vajra and Dante's Jam Session are my assists of choice here.

If you list out some characters that you like to use I could probably give some more detailed advice.

Generally speaking:
A good fast Horizontal assist:
EX: Arthur Daggers, Doom Plasma Beam, Hawkeye's triple arrow.
A good Antiair assist:
EX: Strider's Vajra and Dante's Jam Session are my assists of choice here.

If you list out some characters that you like to use I could probably give some more detailed advice.

Arthur is the only interesting character on that list.

Hmm, I wonder if Lei Lei and Morrigan would actually work . . .

onionfrog

Arthur is the only interesting character on that list.

Hmm, I wonder if Lei Lei and Morrigan would actually work . . .
Haha, you didn't have to pick out of who I listed. There are plenty of other characters with good horizontal assists. Who do you play on your main team?

If you want to use Morrigan and Hsienko, I think Felicia/Hsienko/Arthur or Felicia/Morrigan/Arthur should both work out fairly well. I'd probably run shadow blade assist with Morrigan.
Felicia backed by gold armor assist should annoying as hell for your opponent.

Haha, you didn't have to pick out of who I listed. There are plenty of other characters with good horizontal assists. Who do you play on your main team?

If you want to use Morrigan and Hsienko, I think Felicia/Hsienko/Arthur or Felicia/Morrigan/Arthur should both work out fairly well. I'd probably run shadow blade assist with Morrigan.
Felicia backed by gold armor assist should annoying as hell for your opponent.

Yea, I was thinking about gold senpu and shadow blade.

And I don't have a main team. I pick the game up every few months to try some stuff, get mad that it isn't viable, and then put the game down until something else catches my eye.

onionfrog

Yea, I was thinking about gold senpu and shadow blade.

And I don't have a main team. I pick the game up every few months to try some stuff, get mad that it isn't viable, and then put the game down until something else catches my eye.
Fair enough.
Felicia isn't bad on anchor either if you ever want to try her put there. XF3 Felicia with Kitty Helper. :D

Also her rolling slide assist hits low and is good for unblockable shenanigans.

Dahbomb

I don't know what that tweet even implies to be honest.

Is he working on a new fighting game? If so then that comment seems strange to me...Like he has ideas for new fighting games but he can't use them yet because he is working on something else.

Whatever he's working on I just hope it's revealed soon. Capcom's portfolio for the current year and the upcoming years is pretty much non existent at this point... they need to drop some bombs.

Top Bottom