• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Whatever he's working on I just hope it's revealed soon. Capcom's portfolio for the current year and the upcoming years is pretty much non existent at this point... they need to drop some bombs.

It's gonna be dry for now because a lot of events are coming up for the next few months.

I don't know what that tweet even implies to be honest.

Is he working on a new fighting game? If so then that comment seems strange to me...Like he has ideas for new fighting games but he can't use them yet because he is working on something else.

Whatever he's working on I just hope it's revealed soon. Capcom's portfolio for the current year and the upcoming years is pretty much non existent at this point... they need to drop some bombs.
I read it as "I'm not working on anything related to fighting games at all right now, but I wish I were. I should stop hoping because the dream is dead, and it's not good for me."

Zissou

My friend and I have gotten into doing gimmicky betting on marvel matches- a five piece chicken nugget on random select ft3 being the most recent (I know random select in marvel is stupid, it's all in good fun). Anyway, next up is main teams ft5 where the stipulation is we each choose one of each other's characters which you must swap out for another character. This leads to the two obvious questions of:

1. Who do I use? On my Doom/Dante/Strider team, I'm 99% sure he'll choose to get rid of my Doom, so I need someone to fill the slot. Dante/Strider is a great shell, so there are a lot of possibilities. Any thoughts?

2. On his Haggar/Frank/Arthur team, who should I get rid of in an effort to cripple the team? I hate the pipe and Haggar is his best character, but if I replace him, he wouldn't have to adjust his gameplan of land a hit and TAC to level Frank/if all else fails, dark Arthur. If I get rid of Frank, I don't have to worry about lvl4+ Frank which would be a relief, and cart assist would be gone as well. Getting rid of Arthur would mean he loses his neutral game projectile assist (but he'd still have cart) and his anchor, and it'd also mean I could safely x-factor to kill Haggar off of one touch without the threat of losing to Arthur chip later- any suggestions?

Frantic

lol, I threw Deadpool out of his attempt at a raw assist + teleport mixup when I was attempting to SHIELD SKILLZ him in the face right as he was appearing. Didn't even know that worked.

My Taskmaster play can be summed up entirely as: Shield Skills + Tatsu, cr.M, Aim Master L, jump back Aim Master M, repeat as necessary and then transition into Shield Skills + Tatsu as they get near. And it works.

1. Who do I use? On my Doom/Dante/Strider team, I'm 99% sure he'll choose to get rid of my Doom, so I need someone to fill the slot. Dante/Strider is a great shell, so there are a lot of possibilities. Any thoughts?
Dante/Trish/Strider, my team! :p

A pick between Wesker, Deadpool, Nova, Hawkeye, or Taskmaster would be my recommendation. All characters that benefit from the duo, and none who require a ton of work to play well.

2. On his Haggar/Frank/Arthur team, who should I get rid of in an effort to cripple the team? I hate the pipe and Haggar is his best character, but if I replace him, he wouldn't have to adjust his gameplan of land a hit and TAC to level Frank/if all else fails, dark Arthur. If I get rid of Frank, I don't have to worry about lvl4+ Frank which would be a relief, and cart assist would be gone as well. Getting rid of Arthur would mean he loses his neutral game projectile assist (but he'd still have cart) and his anchor, and it'd also mean I could safely x-factor to kill Haggar off of one touch without the threat of losing to Arthur chip later- any suggestions?
Haggar. Cuz I hate Haggar... and if it's his best character, might as well.

1.- Well, I know Raccoon goes well with those two and I remember you trying him out, so why not give him a shot?

2.-Fuck lariat, but in that case, he could just make a better Frank team with easy mode lv4/5 combos...

Zissou

Dante/Trish/Strider, my team! :p

A pick between Wesker, Deadpool, Nova, Hawkeye, or Taskmaster would be my recommendation. All characters that benefit from the duo, and none who require a ton of work to play well.

Haggar. Cuz I hate Haggar... and if it's his best character, might as well.

Of those Taskmaster and Wesker sound the most appealing (and most feasible to learn and add to the team in a short time). You were joking, but I like Trish as well- why do you start Dante on that team?

I don't like playing Deadpool without a strong horizontal projectile assist (even though I like Deadpool a lot overall). If he chose to get rid of my Dante for some reason, I would 100% go Deadpool/Doom(beam)/Strider.

I think Haggar is the best choice to get rid of (both your and SolarKnight's suggestions helped solidify this). One of the things I hate most about his team is how due to Haggar's high health, I can't ToD him, which removes a large part of the risk of putting Frank second- that you get two-for-one off the opening hit since they lose a character and then they have to fight it out with lvl1 Frank as well. He doesn't really play any other big body characters, so whoever he replaced Haggar with will likely be somebody I can kill much more easily.

1.- Well, I know Raccoon goes well with those two and I remember you trying him out, so why not give him a shot?

2.-Fuck lariat, but in that case, he could just make a better Frank team with easy mode lv4/5 combos...

I was considering Raccoon as well- he'd be nice second giving me spitfire assist for Dante, which seems strong. I don't like his damage output, so I'd finally have to figure out proper non-half-assed resets with him though, haha.

Azure J

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56201824]Whee, seismo dash cancels are the best. I'm definitely looking at a team here I think I can work with for a good while.

C.Viper/Haggar/Magneto LET'S GO[/QUOTE]

Tangent: It's funny seeing all these Vipers coming up now. Marvel approaching endgame confirmed?

Frantic

You were joking, but I like Trish as well- why do you start Dante on that team?
Because I'm a masochist who enjoys having 8 frame buttons at the start of the round versus Wolverine. Point Dante to the day I die, bro!

Although joking, I'm stubborn and want to run Dante on point regardless of his weaknesses at the start of the round. As for Trish second, she's the only character that can give Dante a lot of damage from both a DHC and a THC, while also providing Dante with an assist that can stuff Missiles(Low Voltage). There are other reasons for me running Trish second(like Vergil being boring to play), but those are the main reasons. It's not the most optimal team(once Dante dies, anyways), but it works for me.

Because I'm a masochist who enjoys having 8 frame buttons at the start of the round versus Wolverine. Point Dante to the day I die, bro!

Although joking, I'm stubborn and want to run Dante on point regardless of his weaknesses at the start of the round. As for Trish second, she's the only character that can give Dante a lot of damage from both a DHC and a THC, while also providing Dante with an assist that can stuff Missiles(Low Voltage). There are other reasons for me running Trish second(like Vergil being boring to play), but those are the main reasons. It's not the most optimal team(once Dante dies, anyways), but it works for me.
You get to start the round with a double jump, no complaints!

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
Watching Ramasama made me realize I need to be lariating 1000% times more with Haggar, I let people run all over me for no reason when I have a move that stops basically anything.

Azure J

I'm down for the lobby.

I'm currently in the lab brushing up on some stuff I haven't added to my gameplan yet, including better timing on meaty Tigers with Strider and his XF3 Bird Bomb loops. The former is something I'm really upset I never attempted learning before since it's really simple (whiffed s.Hs are good at everything with this character, I swear), the latter just looks so awesome and racks up damage pretty fast with the right combo beforehand.

Zissou

Tangent: It's funny seeing all these Vipers coming up now. Marvel approaching endgame confirmed?

I'm surprised people don't run Viper since she's so good against the current Doom/Vergil shell that fucking EVERYBODY is bandwagoning on these days. Viper+Strider means Doom can't play his lame finger laser from the top of the screen game, and Vergil
is completely free to focus unblockables on incoming. If Viper/Dante/Strider lands the first hit against Mags/Doom/Vergil, the match should be more or less won, barring major mistakes.

Doom second on beam assist would give you all the same stuff, no? I can't fault you though, I play my team as a point Doom team, even
though starting Dante would often be better.

Frantic

You get to start the round with a double jump, no complaints!
Hey now, I'm not complaining! Plink dash/throw makes Dante much more viable on point, but he's definitely not stellar at the start of the round shenanigans. I'm just glad I can force mindgames on Magnetos at the start of the round.

Doom second on beam assist would give you all the same stuff, no? I can't fault you though, I play my team as a point Doom team, even
though starting Dante would often be better.
No, cuz Doom's DHCs with Dante suck. With Trish, I can do this as long as I have the meter. Additionally, Low Voltage can't be ducked under by any character(and if they block Low Voltage, Dante gets to crossup j.M them during their blocking animation), keeps characters standing on hit, and doesn't scale combo's terribly all give me reasons not to pick Doom and actually learn how to move with him. I love my ground dashes. :p

If I was gonna go to any beam, I'd personally go for Unibeam. If Iron Man had a cancelable ground dash, I'd probably invest more time in using him.

Dahbomb

Problem with Viper is that she loses to the point characters you see in front of common shells like Zero, Magneto and Morrigan. Even Wolverine gives her a hard time because you need to be playing with the utmost precision against him.

If Doom/Vergil were the only problem then yea... she would clean up.

Zissou

No, cuz Doom's DHCs with Dante suck. With Trish, I can do this as long as I have the meter. Additionally, Low Voltage can't be ducked under by any character(and if they block Low Voltage, Dante gets to crossup j.M them during their blocking animation), keeps characters standing on hit, and doesn't scale combo's terribly all give me reasons not to pick Doom and actually learn how to move with him. I love my ground dashes. :p

If I was gonna go to any beam, I'd personally go for Unibeam. If Iron Man had a cancelable ground dash, I'd probably invest more time in using him.

DHC into sphere flame from million dollars works and does good damage- you just have to always carry to the corner before the end of the combo, which Dante can always do, so I don't see much issue there (though your swag round harvest DHC video has me reconsidering what the definition of 'good damage' is, haha)

Beam scaling Dante combos is a legitimate concern. Is low voltage only three hits? If a character can crouch under plasma beam, you can still go for box dash M or H while they duck it. Leaving them standing is awesome though- I imagine you can confirm into a regular combo without having to modify it at all. Doom beam of course carries with it the advantage that Doom comes on screen a mile behind you so he can let you play a bit more recklessly or get Dante out of sticky spots.

Viper/Magneto/Doom was my main team in Vanilla until right before EVO. Then I swapped to Magneto/Doom/Phoenix for EVO, then Wesker/Magneto/Doom right after which has lasted until now.

Since Ultimate dropped it's been serious character crises. Definitely familiar in the old wheels, though.

Problem with Viper is that she loses to the point characters you see in front of common shells like Zero, Magneto and Morrigan. Even Wolverine gives her a hard time because you need to be playing with the utmost precision against him.
For wolverine you wait until he uses his assist, then focus dash cancel if he uses berserker slash. Other than that he's pretty free to rapid seismos if you can make the space. But yeah if he just dashes up low short/ia jL all day it's pretty rough.

Magneto and Zero get torn up by EX Seismo but it can be baited. I think Viper/Dante does well against Morrigan but without Jam Session or Plasma beam it's super rough. That said, I don't think she has too many matchups that would be considered a real weakness. There's a lot of things that hurt her, but she generally has tools to get around them. But a lot of those tools require high execution and great awareness, and she has to trick people more often than other top characters to get hits.

Frantic

DHC into sphere flame from million dollars works and does good damage- you just have to always carry to the corner before the end of the combo, which Dante can always do, so I don't see much issue there (though your swag round harvest DHC video has me reconsidering what the definition of 'good damage' is, haha)
Good damage is being able to kill anyone. :p

Honestly, the Round Harvest DHC is mainly for the 'suboptimal' confirms. I can get 900k off a Jam Session + Vajra or an airthrow with my team with one bar stocked. You can't even really do that with Dante/Vergil, since you need to save your wallbounces/groundbounces, but using them helps in racking up meter with Dante.

Beam scaling Dante combos is a legitimate concern. Is low voltage only three hits? If a character can crouch under plasma beam, you can still go for box dash M or H while they duck it. Leaving them standing is awesome though- I imagine you can confirm into a regular combo without having to modify it at all. Doom beam of course carries with it the advantage that Doom comes on screen a mile behind you so he can let you play a bit more recklessly or get Dante out of sticky spots.
Low Voltage hits anywhere from once(if they're in the air or are a small croucher) to three times(if they're standing) and I get a full combo string into Volcano if they're on the ground. Helps a lot, and it catches people pretty high in the air. It also comes out behind the point character like Plasma Beam, and Trish is completely silent until Low Voltage is fired. In Devil Trigger, you can make the assist basically invisible with three projectiles coming out of nowhere.

Also, on the bit about the box dash M - I meant if a character like Morrigan blocks Low Voltage, I can cross her up while she's in blocking animation. Blocking animation rises higher than normal crouching animations, letting Dante actually hit them instead of whiffing. Pretty situational, but I have setups designed to take advantage of it against those characters.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56216892]For wolverine you wait until he uses his assist, then focus dash cancel if he uses berserker slash. Other than that he's pretty free to rapid seismos if you can make the space. But yeah if he just dashes up low short/ia jL all day it's pretty rough.

Magneto and Zero get torn up by EX Seismo but it can be baited. I think Viper/Dante does well against Morrigan but without Jam Session or Plasma beam it's super rough. That said, I don't think she has too many matchups that would be considered a real weakness. There's a lot of things that hurt her, but she generally has tools to get around them. But a lot of those tools require high execution and great awareness, and she has to trick people more often than other top characters to get hits.[/QUOTE]
This right here. On paper she should beat everything in the gane but that requires precision, accuracy and impeccable timing. You read wrong on an EX Seismo, now you are free to Wolverine.

On paper Viper with Dante/Strider should not lose to anything.

Zissou

Dang I swear I was dash canceling all of my blocked yolo s foot dives tonight...I need to work on getting the timing down.

If you've used your air dash, even during flight, you won't have it available to cancel into after footdive, so be mindful of that (obvious, I know). Also, be careful of the height footdive hits- if you make contact below minimum airdash height, you can't airdash-cancel the footdive since you're already too low to the ground.

This right here. On paper she should beat everything in the gane but that requires precision, accuracy and impeccable timing. You read wrong on an EX Seismo, now you are free to Wolverine.

On paper Viper with Dante/Strider should not lose to anything.

Speaking of that shell, anybody play Chris/Dante/Strider? Taxi's team might be better overall, though. He gets kills with Spencer assist.

I think I'm gonna go back to Raccoon.

GGs btw Kevo. So many footdives.

How many times have I told you to go back to Raccoon -_-

Azure J

I'm surprised people don't run Viper since she's so good against the current Doom/Vergil shell that fucking EVERYBODY is bandwagoning on these days. Viper+Strider means Doom can't play his lame finger laser from the top of the screen game, and Vergil
is completely free to focus unblockables on incoming. If Viper/Dante/Strider lands the first hit against Mags/Doom/Vergil, the match should be more or less won, barring major mistakes.

The funny part though is in this game, the Magneto/Viper match up is probably my second most hated match up playing Viper with both Jam and Vajra. That old man is far too fair. Optic Laser is seriously the only thing keeping him honest in a straight neutral gameplan (that beam cleans projectiles like a dream and the added "nope" to assists is more than appreciated), but everything else he has an answer for unless the person using him has no movement in the air.

Characters I hate fighting as Viper thus far:

Firebrand (far and away the hardest matchup because Swoop gives no fucks and is stupidly safe; Jam & Vaj help a ton, but I swear I lose so much mental fortitude when something of Firebrand's connects with her)
Magneto
Taskmaster
Spencer
Vergil

The latter two are more when they're supported by a proper assist, or manage to consistently keep Viper in blockstun in Vergil's case.

Re: Chris/Dante/Strider, I'm kinda thinking about making it my third team after I bite the bullet and learn some Zero for Zero/Dante/Strider.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56216892]For wolverine you wait until he uses his assist, then focus dash cancel if he uses berserker slash. Other than that he's pretty free to rapid seismos if you can make the space. But yeah if he just dashes up low short/ia jL all day it's pretty rough.

Magneto and Zero get torn up by EX Seismo but it can be baited. I think Viper/Dante does well against Morrigan but without Jam Session or Plasma beam it's super rough. That said, I don't think she has too many matchups that would be considered a real weakness. There's a lot of things that hurt her, but she generally has tools to get around them. But a lot of those tools require high execution and great awareness, and she has to trick people more often than other top characters to get hits.[/QUOTE]

Man, I just love the technicality behind Viper almost to a fault sometimes. I had a long set with someone yesterday who pretty much plays that team in a way that'd make you wonder if Viper had weaknesses period and just thinking about that makes me want to make that theory a reality. It's just very hard to stay on top of her options technically while also bettering your fundamentals with a character like her.

I play her very lame though, lots of lasers and seismos, but I definitely see what she has some shit when she wants in.

Magneto was Viper's worst matchup in vanilla and it hasn't changed much.

Why don't you just stay on the ground and focus the kidnap vs Firebrand?

My own playstyle with Viper is based on Burn kick option selects and poking with her specials. And triple 50/50 mixups that only work on viewtiful joe.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56219496]How many times have I told you to go back to Raccoon -_-[/QUOTE]

I'm only going back because I can't think of a proper anchor that I like. I figured that if I can't think of an anchor that I'm good with and that fits the team, then I might as well just play like I've only got two characters + an assist.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I will be home a huge chunk of the week so hit me up for lobbies. I can stream at higher quality without using as much resources now.

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56220944]Magneto was Viper's worst matchup in vanilla and it hasn't changed much.

Why don't you just stay on the ground and focus the kidnap vs Firebrand?

My own playstyle with Viper is based on Burn kick option selects and poking with her specials. And triple 50/50 mixups that only work on viewtiful joe.[/QUOTE]

You can focus cinematic stuff like Firebrand kidnap?

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56222600]Ah, you might be right. It's a hit throw, so I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

I guess it needs to be tested it out (though surely some Viper player out there has tried it against every single attack in the game, I'd imagine). I also wonder how it interacts with capture state specials like bolo and web ball...

Solune

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56219496]Speaking of that shell, anybody play Chris/Dante/Strider? Taxi's team might be better overall, though. He gets kills with Spencer assist.
[/QUOTE]

I used to run that team but since April Duels , I've retired that team. Chris is too much a liability in certain matchups, especially Wesker, Magneto, Vergil. It's true that Chris can ToD most of the cast with one touch but, it's just extremely hard to get that hit.

Props to Taxi for bodying Chris G, but how he lost to Wentinel... I have no idea.

Also Chris does as much damage with Vajra as he does with Spencer assist.

FSLink

Banned
I feel like for Chris/Dante/Strider you could just swap Dante and Chris around depending on the matchup. I'm going to try this out for myself since I've been trying to work on my Dante/Strider anyway. :p

Why does Eye of Agomato have to disappear if I get hit :(
Also, Strange without Shopping Kart/Beam makes him feel so flat.
I don't feel safe using it full screen or in the air.

Sentinel feels scarier than Strange on anchor.

Dahbomb

Guys.... Nemesis/Dante/Strider against MorriDoom?

Nemesis tanks fireballs and shoots rockets at Doom to negate the assist. Jam Session can absorb a few fireballs and Vajra can keep Morrigan from not throwing out too many fireballs. A couple of hits of the rocket can really make either Morrigan or Doom bleed. He has enough health to take a few fireball hits and build meter for Dante. Dante can come in and do his standard game against Morrigan only with a slight meter and health advantage. Nemesis doesn't need meter to dish out damage at a distance.

This is like a poor man's Chris/Dante/Strider. Obviously not as good but worth a shot. You never know what might happen.

If you've used your air dash, even during flight, you won't have it available to cancel into after footdive, so be mindful of that (obvious, I know). Also, be careful of the height footdive hits- if you make contact below minimum airdash height, you can't airdash-cancel the footdive since you're already too low to the ground.

ah, i was airdashing, then footdiving, expecting to be able to dash cancel that on block. it wasn't obvious to me!

I think I'm gonna go back to Raccoon.

GGs btw Kevo. So many footdives.

GGs beef lol man i still have no idea what to do with doom without an assist to back him up. i really like plasma beam as an assist for nova instead of trying missiles, but i still don't have a feel for doom's movement.

Top Bottom