• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Zissou

How are Taskmaster's, Wesker's, and Deadpool's match-ups vs. Dormammu? (individually, not those three as a team). Who does the best against him?

How are Taskmaster's, Wesker's, and Deadpool's match-ups vs. Dormammu? (individually, not those three as a team). Who does the best against him?
Wesker vs. Dormammu is in Wesker's favor.
Taskmaster vs. Dormammu is in Dormammu's favor.
Deadpool vs. Dormammu is in Deadpool's favor.

The quick guide to Dormammu matchups goes:
1) Does the character have a teleport? Bad matchup for Dormammu.
2) Does the character get in through mid-screen projectiles (zip line, buster shot)? Bad matchup for Dormammu.
3) Does the character have neither of these things? Good matchup for Dormammu.

Assuming Dormammu is established, of course. If Dormammu is not established, pretty much everything is a bad matchup for him.

Zissou

I assumed Task would be fine as long as shield skills could plow through pillars/flame carpet (no idea if it works though, I've never messed around with it).

@Karst- My friend plays less a zoning Dorm and more of a crazy YOLO teleport Masta CJ style Dorm, so I'm interested not only in characters that get around his zoning, but also ones who also have good options against nutty Dorm play.

Azure J

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56500120]Bionic Bomber + Berserker Slash assist in the corner is the funniest reset ever.

Also, C.Viper's overhead can be comboed after without an assist on small crouching characters :-o[/QUOTE]

I thought she got full combos from anything hit with the overhead with a buffered Thunder Knuckle H into Feint Loop?

You know, I love all the complicated stuff but I just can't get my head in the game with all that tech. I always do better with simple characters like Wolverine or Mitsuru or Jacky Bryant because I can think about match flow and my opponent's thinking process. I might just make a braindead team and go with that instead. I always get torn up with C.Viper or Strider or Dante.

Wolverine/Spencer/Strange seems pretty cool.
I thought she got full combos from anything hit with the overhead with a buffered Thunder Knuckle H into Feint Loop?

It's only +1 normally. Combos are character specific.

j.M is better for boxdash crossups because the crossup hitbox comes out faster and has a lower hitbox enabling Dante to hit some characters that j.H can sometimes whiff on(Firebrand, Wolverine, etc). Only problem is if they jump you don't get the throw OS or have enough hitstun to combo off it air-to-air. I'd suggest sticking with j.M for the most part, and scouting players that like to upback more and adjust to j.H against them.
Thanks. Yeah I've been trying to improve my Dante play and I've been feeling pretty good about it. I no longer just do box dash H or jump S. Now it's a whole lot of j. Qcf + M. A LOT....A WHOLE LOT. I find it kind of weird how much I actually win with that move. It's my get started for everything move. Is that ok? Regardless I'm gonna keep at it, cause it's gotten me results against non teleporters

Zissou

Thanks. Yeah I've been trying to improve my Dante play and I've been feeling pretty good about it. I no longer just do box dash H or jump S. Now it's a whole lot of j. Qcf + M. A LOT....A WHOLE LOT. I find it kind of weird how much I actually win with that move. It's my get started for everything move. Is that ok? Regardless I'm gonna keep at it, cause it's gotten me results against non teleporters

Yeah, air play is great. Charged version gives you ages to confirm if someone gets hit by it too. I wish I didn't completely forget about drive 99% of the time though...

smurfx

get some go again
can you grab strider out of his wall cling? or do you have to wait for him to do something for the air throw to register?

Yeah, air play is great. Charged version gives you ages to confirm if someone gets hit by it too. I wish I didn't completely forget about drive 99% of the time though...
Oh man I abuse drive like a cheap whore. I love that move. It's so much safer than I ever thought. Makes for some decent frame traps at times as well.
If you mean when he's already stuck to the wall, no I don't believe you can but I'm not 100% sure.
Yes you can definitely grab him while he's on the wall. I've done it to people many times as Nova and Doom, and I've had it done several times to me by fuckhead Vergil and a few others
j.M is better for boxdash crossups because the crossup hitbox comes out faster and has a lower hitbox enabling Dante to hit some characters that j.H can sometimes whiff on(Firebrand, Wolverine, etc). Only problem is if they jump you don't get the throw OS or have enough hitstun to combo off it air-to-air. I'd suggest sticking with j.M for the most part, and scouting players that like to upback more and adjust to j.H against them.

Thanks. I'm glad that I'm finally kind of learning Dante instead of just mindlessly flailing with him. He's so much fun. Now I'm just trying to not look like a mindless asshole in devil trigger

I assumed Task would be fine as long as shield skills could plow through pillars/flame carpet (no idea if it works though, I've never messed around with it).

@Karst- My friend plays less a zoning Dorm and more of a crazy YOLO teleport Masta CJ style Dorm, so I'm interested not only in characters that get around his zoning, but also ones who also have good options against nutty Dorm play.
Oh, then almost anything beats him, because Dormammu's rushdown is only good against people who don't know how to anti-air and air throw.

Taskmaster has problems with Dormammu because he has no answer at all to Stalking Flare. When I played Dormammu/Morrigan, Taskmaster was one of the characters that was 100% free if I got a flare on the screen, chipped 100 to 0.

Zissou

Oh, then almost anything beats him, because Dormammu's rushdown is only good against people who don't know how to anti-air and air throw.

Taskmaster has problems with Dormammu because he has no answer at all to Stalking Flare. When I played Dormammu/Morrigan, Taskmaster was one of the characters that was 100% free if I got a flare on the screen, chipped 100 to 0.

He wouldn't be using a meter assist anyway, so I wouldn't be worried about him chucking too many stalking flares at me. I was just messing around with Deadpool against Dorm in training mode- it's really nice that he gets a full combo punish on a blocked chaotic flame thanks to his teleport :D

Definitely agree with this. When I screw around with Dante/Dorm/Haggar, I almost have no problems against my friends Task.

JeTmAn81

Have you played many good rushdown Dormammu's? I don't find them nearly as easy to punish as you imply. His swipes give him hitboxes that allow him to touch you from quite a way away. I feel like good rushdown Dormammu made his effectiveness felt at NCR pretty clearly.

Have you played many good rushdown Dormammu's? I don't find them nearly as easy to punish as you imply. His swipes give him hitboxes that allow him to touch you from quite a way away. I feel like good rushdown Dormammu made his effectiveness felt at NCR pretty clearly.
It's more like I'm a solid rushdown Dormammu, and I rarely play people who can time their anti-airs. This game is still really young for things like that. The big problem is that if Dormammu rushes down in a way that protects him from anti-airs, he is susceptible to air throws, and vice versa. Honestly, of everyone here, only Solune here made ever made me hesitate about rushing down with him, because he gets so much practice anti-airing Magneto (haha).

Culinary

Hey guys. I've picked up this game again after I broke my last copy.

I want to pick up mags again but I'm having real issues doing magnetic blasts. Is there a trick to these? I'm especially having trouble off of dashes, is there anything I'm missing?

JeTmAn81

It's more like I'm a solid rushdown Dormammu, and I rarely play people who can time their anti-airs. This game is still really young for things like that. The big problem is that if Dormammu rushes down in a way that protects him from anti-airs, he is susceptible to air throws, and vice versa. Honestly, of everyone here, only Solune here made ever made me hesitate about rushing down with him, because he gets so much practice anti-airing Magneto (haha).

I do feel that Dormammu rushdown gets less scary as you get more used to the timing of the crossups and such, but I think that he is a character that, when correctly protected by assists/Dark Matter/etc. is still very threatening with his teleports in the hands of someone who knows how to keep him safe. His airdash crossups can be randomized in the same way as Dr. Doom's by just keeping mobile in the air and moving in unexpected directions.

JeTmAn81

Hey guys. I've picked up this game again after I broke my last copy.

I want to pick up mags again but I'm having real issues doing magnetic blasts. Is there a trick to these? I'm especially having trouble off of dashes, is there anything I'm missing?

It's especially tricky after dashes since you need to move the stick/pad quite a ways away from your ending direction for the dash to get to the Magnetic Blast starter. Mostly it's just practice, and getting used to moving that far directionally that quickly. A backwards airdash into Magnetic Blast is easier for me since you you can basically do an upside down half-circle motion (very common in this game) to make it happen. But overall I feel the Magnetic Blast motion is different enough to feel quite foreign compared to the rest of the inputs in the game, and requires simple repetitive practice to get the feel for it.

I do feel that Dormammu rushdown gets less scary as you get more used to the timing of the crossups and such, but I think that he is a character that, when correctly protected by assists/Dark Matter/etc. is still very threatening with his teleports in the hands of someone who knows how to keep him safe. His airdash crossups can be randomized in the same way as Dr. Doom's by just keeping mobile in the air and moving in unexpected directions.
That's why you go for the air throw - don't let Dormammu choose how he's going to attack. The vast majority of the people I fight try to block Dormammu, and it's by far your worst option when he's above you.

Watching you play on stream last night was pretty awesome. I honestly didn't expect your team to work that well, but you've got a lot of great ideas. I especially liked how you use Wesker's assist for unblockables with Hulk....you can cover Wesker coming in pretty easily with all of the armor on his moves. I definitely see the trouble you have with zoning guys though.

Thanks, but your right certain team setups are straight up murder for me.

I think when I get out of school I'll go back to fun play again.

I'm glad to see you haven't given up on the game at the very least. The game is fun even when I lose.

Characters you can't combo after air throws have great trouble combating rushdown Dorm. Plus for me it's hard to block characters like rushdown Dorm and V.Joe because it goes against my natural instinct to not block low. Blocking high I feel I am easily open for a sweep combo and it's hard to shake that feeling.

(I did laugh though when you were zoning full screen throwing in a random overhead that had no hope of conncecting, intentional or not it was funny lol)
I used to do that back in vanilla to make the opponent think they have frame advantage then just burn kick if they start dashing or whatever. I'm so out of practice though. That probably happened on stream because I fuck up plink dashes online pretty easily and get forward + a button.

Seismo sjc Burn Kick is my favorite thing ever. Thank you for the compliments.

JeTmAn81

That's why you go for the air throw - don't let Dormammu choose how he's going to attack. The vast majority of the people I fight try to block Dormammu, and it's by far your worst option when he's above you.

My gameplay has developed to the point where I feel ready to instant air throw obviously unsafe teleports (ala bad Dante's), but that's a lot harder to do when you're on the move, and when Dorm is rushing you, you generally don't want to be standing still. So he's frequently not in a place where I can easily airthrow him, because believe me I'm looking for that.

Zissou

Yeah, I find punishing Dorm teleports in the heat of the match to be quite difficult. He ends up far away enough from you that in the rush to hit him post-teleport and I often get smacked in the face (for mass change L and M at least).

Dahbomb

Hm72auZ.png

Yeah, I find punishing Dorm teleports in the heat of the match to be quite difficult. He ends up far away enough from you that in the rush to hit him post-teleport and I often get smacked in the face (for mass change L and M at least).
Definitely, it's just not reasonable to punish Dormammu teleports with most of the cast. It's too far away.

However, Dante has a really vicious answer: j.S. It hits high enough and behind him enough that it still catches a Mass Change M. :p

My gameplay has developed to the point where I feel ready to instant air throw obviously unsafe teleports (ala bad Dante's), but that's a lot harder to do when you're on the move, and when Dorm is rushing you, you generally don't want to be standing still. So he's frequently not in a place where I can easily airthrow him, because believe me I'm looking for that.
It also helps to jump forward and just j.L. Dormammu can't start the j.H/S until he's 2/3 toward you. I think the reason FChamp is the only successful Dormammu is that he plays him primarily as a zoner.

Frantic

I want one of these with Dante, because I feel like this way too often. My brain is flying a mile a minute anticipating, guessing, reacting, coming up with counters and shit against Wolverine, and they're literally just pressing one of: s.L, assist + qcb.H, or df.H in the air. Sometimes cr.L or j.L when I block an assist.

Azure J

I want one of these with Dante, because I feel like this way too often. My brain is flying a mile a minute anticipating, guessing, reacting, coming up with counters and shit against Wolverine, and they're literally just pressing one of: s.L, assist + qcb.H, or df.H in the air. Sometimes cr.L or j.L when I block an assist.

The Dante one has been overdue since the moment they chose Vergil (in the original Marvel edit of this) using s.H.

Wow, Viper's Burn cancel overhead jL is the same startup as Joe's overhead :-0

Nice thing about Viper/Haggar/Magneto is that I can get a million damage for two bars off any character combination except Magneto to Haggar.

Sigmaah

I'd main the shit outta magneto if I could do mag blasts easily, he's my type of character, go in and fuck shit up dawg but them shits hard as fuck to do. Most retarded input ever.

I really wish I had an offline scene, playing only online stops me from using some characters cause I feel like some characters just straight suck with the slightest bit of lag. I met someone while I was at work who had an mvc hoodie on, chatted with him about mvc3, asked who he mained and asked for his gt so that we could play, got online, inved him and played, bopped his ass easily and then he removed me from his f/r... Well, looks like online is forever with me :/

My brothers and a couple of my friends played this game hard for vanilla, we'd have tourneys and just have good old fun matches but then they stopped playing once ultimate came out (dunno why though, guess they got bored or some shit) and now I'm the only one left who still plays this game. I really do love this game and wanna play people offline so badly! Ahhhhh lame.

Maybe there is a scene around here that I don't know about? What would be the first step to finding it if it exists is my question...

Guys, why can't point Iron Man be like movie Iron Man?

:'( I want to use this character outside of being a status boost for whoever he's helping. He's decent to good except when you have to actually use him.

My bitching about point Tony has gone on for more than two years now. I don't know when I'll shut up and just accept shellhead for what his shadow is.

Yes, he's pretty good support. But that ain't shine.

This post brought to you by iron man 3 being a pretty fun flick. Shane Blacky at times but still really enjoyable. Number 3 in MCU personally, barely edges Cap (which I thought was wicked, but I like Tony too much).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Guys, why can't point Iron Man be like movie Iron Man?

:'( I want to use this character outside of being a status boost for whoever he's helping. He's decent to good except when you have to actually use him.

My bitching about point Tony has gone on for more than two years now. I don't know when I'll shut up and just accept shellhead for what his shadow is.

Yes, he's pretty good support. But that ain't shine.

This post brought to you by iron man 3 being a pretty fun flick. Shane Blacky at times but still really enjoyable. Number 3 in MCU personally, barely edges Cap (which I thought was wicked, but I like Tony too much).
I've been saying this forever too :( Just something I'm kinda past, but IM needs a cooler moveset that's a bit truer to the character than what we have now. He needs complete air superiority and a Nova-like fist in the ground OTG kind of like his intro stance, among useful projectiles. I guess it's too much to ask for a mobile projectile character?

I also have to see IM3 still and I feel like everyone else in the world has seen it already D: Seeing it tomorrow (today?) at 10 though. I would say I'm kinda excited and kinda scared at the same time. Not as hype as I was for IM2.. and I even moderately enjoyed IM2, but that's probably because my hype has been tempered by having the twist spoiled.

I've just kinda come to terms with it really. Marvel is what it is, hopefully MvC4 has better balance, that's all. Going to be grinding Tony in training mode tomorrow regardless.

I'd main the shit outta magneto if I could do mag blasts easily, he's my type of character, go in and fuck shit up dawg but them shits hard as fuck to do. Most retarded input ever.

I really wish I had an offline scene, playing only online stops me from using some characters cause I feel like some characters just straight suck with the slightest bit of lag. I met someone while I was at work who had an mvc hoodie on, chatted with him about mvc3, asked who he mained and asked for his gt so that we could play, got online, inved him and played, bopped his ass easily and then he removed me from his f/r... Well, looks like online is forever with me :/

My brothers and a couple of my friends played this game hard for vanilla, we'd have tourneys and just have good old fun matches but then they stopped playing once ultimate came out (dunno why though, guess they got bored or some shit) and now I'm the only one left who still plays this game. I really do love this game and wanna play people offline so badly! Ahhhhh lame.

Maybe there is a scene around here that I don't know about? What would be the first step to finding it if it exists is my question...
Ask on the srk forums.....if you can tolerate navigating them. Makes me feel shitty not fully taking advantage of my scene. I live in SoCal for fuck sake

SmokeMaxX

Well where do you live? You're almost guaranteed to have a local scene and I could probably get you into contact with them if you live within the ten or so states that I have connections with haha.

I've been saying this forever too :( Just something I'm kinda past, but IM needs a cooler moveset that's a bit truer to the character than what we have now. He needs complete air superiority and a Nova-like fist in the ground OTG kind of like his intro stance, among useful projectiles. I guess it's too much to ask for a mobile projectile character?

I also have to see IM3 still and I feel like everyone else in the world has seen it already D: Seeing it tomorrow (today?) at 10 though. I would say I'm kinda excited and kinda scared at the same time. Not as hype as I was for IM2.. and I even moderately enjoyed IM2, but that's probably because my hype has been tempered by having the twist spoiled.

I've just kinda come to terms with it really. Marvel is what it is, hopefully MvC4 has better balance, that's all. Going to be grinding Tony in training mode tomorrow regardless.

Iron Man's moveset come's from the 90's where he was a lame character. if you were to redo his moveset to update it.. you'd have to do everybody else.

Sigmaah

Ask on the srk forums.....if you can tolerate navigating them. Makes me feel shitty not fully taking advantage of my scene. I live in SoCal for fuck sake

I might give that a shot, and if I lived in SoCal, I'd be at locals all day son!

Well where do you live? You're almost guaranteed to have a local scene and I could probably get you into contact with them if you live within the ten or so states that I have connections with haha.

Albany, NY is where I'm at. I hope you have connections here! lol. If I was in NYC, I'd be all over there locals and tourneys.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member

It's not retarded, it's called practice and working that muscle memory. It's kind of like learning how to do a new motion on the stick.

Top Bottom