• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Sigmaah

It's not retarded, it's called practice and working that muscle memory. It's kind of like learning how to do a new motion on the stick.

I've tried practicing it, I just have a really hard time doing that weird input lol. I can do it but not very consistently, I'll try again tho.

LakeEarth

Why did Capcom make Nemesis' hyper scaling so terrible? They do no damage. Barely a tickle.

Just fixing the scaling on his hyper would do wonders. I've DHC'd into Nemesis and gotten magic pixel worth of damage. That team is a pretty good Nem team though, since Hulk/Sentinel is a great shell and Gamma Crush DHC does crazy damage.

SmokeMaxX

I might give that a shot, and if I lived in SoCal, I'd be at locals all day son!

Albany, NY is where I'm at. I hope you have connections here! lol. If I was in NYC, I'd be all over there locals and tourneys.
Haha luckily I don't have to have connections since you live in NY. Here's the regional threads on SRK for the NorthEast. Not sure which city is closest to you, but I'm sure you can find what you're looking for here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/atlantic-north
Only problem might be if their group is like the Arkansas fighting game community and went 100% to Facebook.

Just fixing the scaling on his hyper would do wonders. I've DHC'd into Nemesis and gotten magic pixel worth of damage. That team is a pretty good Nem team though, since Hulk/Sentinel is a great shell and Gamma Crush DHC does crazy damage.

Exchange scaling on Wolvie's hyper with Nemesis' hyper. Bam. Game fixed.

EasyMode

I've tried practicing it, I just have a really hard time doing that weird input lol. I can do it but not very consistently, I'll try again tho.

If you're on a stick, don't ride the gate and go for a smooth rounded motion instead. Once you get it down, it'll feel as natural as tossing fireballs.

EasyMode

since Hulk/Sentinel is a great shell and Gamma Crush DHC does crazy damage.

I've been practicing Magneto(grav)/Hulk(wave)/Sentinel(drones) mostly for that DHC, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing with Hulk. Call drones, gamma charge + L, profit? Any ideas guys? I could also use advice on how to deal with teleporters.

LakeEarth

I've been practicing Magneto(grav)/Hulk(wave)/Sentinel(drones) mostly for that DHC, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing with Hulk. Call drones, gamma charge + L, profit? Any ideas guys? I could also use advice on how to deal with teleporters.

Yup, call drones, gamma charge, mixup while they're stuck blocking drones. I'm not a Hulk user so I'm just describing what others have done to me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Iron Man's moveset come's from the 90's where he was a lame character. if you were to redo his moveset to update it.. you'd have to do everybody else.
I'm okay with this. Just get rid of corny moves like Smart Bombs (replace it with the ground pound OTG), and keep the iconic stuff like unibeam. Maybe add repulsar blasts from his hands and different missile options. Most of the other characters like Cap, Spidey and Wolverine are at least more true to the character.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm okay with this. Just get rid of corny moves like Smart Bombs (replace it with the ground pound OTG), and keep the iconic stuff like unibeam. Maybe add repulsar blasts from his hands and different missile options. Most of the other characters like Cap, Spidey and Wolverine are at least more true to the character.

Thor is nearly perfect in MVC3 but Thor lack hammer throw. They should take a lesson and look at Hawk Girl. Dat Hammer Throw and "Ultimate" attack.

I'm aware that they had a plan with level 3 for Thor but they dropped it for a reason.

LakeEarth

Sometimes I think they shouldn't have made Iron Man, Thor and Spiderman too hard to use, because they are the characters first timers pick first. Might sour them on the whole game.

Dahbomb

Sometimes I think they shouldn't have made Iron Man, Thor and Spiderman so hard to use, because they are the characters first timers pick first. Might sour them on the whole game.
I guess they probably thought that since those characters were going to get picked and played anyway they could afford to make them a bit harder to play.

I mean imagine an easy to play and abuse top tier Iron Man (like Doom but with 10x more swag)... everyone would play him.

Then again Wolverine exists in the game and there is no way people aren't going to play Wolverine.

X-23 sucks

Out of the three big unblockable characters, hers is the hardest to set up and the least useful. She also has the worst neutral game of the three and all her best partners are other mid-tier characters. She has the fastest plink dash in the game, the best standing M and the furthest wall jump, but it doesn't really help her much. It also doesn't help that her best technique, talon attack cancels off of mirage feint, only work on very few frames that make solo cross ups all but impossible when started off anything other than absolute point blank. She also has garbage for level 1 hypers.

It's a guaranteed team kill off a TAC, but it doesn't work on about a third of team configurations and you'll wind up leaving your opponent with 5 bars and a level 3 x-factor anchor in most situations.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sometimes I think they shouldn't have made Iron Man, Thor and Spiderman too hard to use, because they are the characters first timers pick first. Might sour them on the whole game.
I guess they probably thought that since those characters were going to get picked and played anyway they could afford to make them a bit harder to play.

I mean imagine an easy to play and abuse top tier Iron Man (like Doom but with 10x more swag)... everyone would play him.

Then again Wolverine exists in the game and there is no way people aren't going to play Wolverine.
I think Spiderman and Wolverine are the big two folks will gravitate to, and I think at the lower level, they're okay. Wolverine moreso though.

people keep braging that x23 is going to be a threat, but i have failed to see someone truely implament her yet
The problem comes with building enough meter for the last level 3 while in XF, which never really works as well as it does in theory. And that is something that's been proved again and again.

fader

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56767922]X-23 sucks

Out of the three big unblockable characters, hers is the hardest to set up and the least useful. She also has the worst neutral game of the three and all her best partners are other mid-tier characters. She has the fastest plink dash in the game, the best standing M and the furthest wall jump, but it doesn't really help her much. It also doesn't help that her best technique, talon attack cancels off of mirage feint, only work on very few frames that make solo cross ups all but impossible when started off anything other than absolute point blank. She also has garbage for level 1 hypers.

It's a guaranteed team kill off a TAC, but it doesn't work on about a third of team configurations and you'll wind up leaving your opponent with 5 bars and a level 3 x-factor anchor in most situations.[/QUOTE]

don't get me wrong, i agree. i never saw potential in it, i just thought it was interesting at best.

X-23 is just another character that has some good thingss about her, but so many members of the cast can abuse her weaknesses...

If Mirage Feint L passed through projectiles and Mirage Feint M was airborne to the last frame she'd be able to compete with a lot more characters. Oh well. She's basically a faster Iron Fist with no reliable damage right now.

She also needs to be able to cancel her slice moves and get a few more knockdown frames off her air throw for her command grab to really be useful.

Finally, if Talon Attack M worked like Firebrand's kidnap and didn't drop people halfway through she'd be able to get consistent damage with her combos.

The only reason why I remember Jill She-Hulk and Iron Man is because Jill's crazy cross-ups and Capcom actually nerfing her and She-Hulk and IronMan feels like he should be top tier (maybe because of the movie.)

Sigmaah

Haha luckily I don't have to have connections since you live in NY. Here's the regional threads on SRK for the NorthEast. Not sure which city is closest to you, but I'm sure you can find what you're looking for here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/atlantic-north
Only problem might be if their group is like the Arkansas fighting game community and went 100% to Facebook.

Exchange scaling on Wolvie's hyper with Nemesis' hyper. Bam. Game fixed.

I FOUND IT, HOLY SHIT THANK YOU!!!

If you're on a stick, don't ride the gate and go for a smooth rounded motion instead. Once you get it down, it'll feel as natural as tossing fireballs.

Ill try this!

Dahbomb

people keep braging that x23 is going to be a threat, but i have failed to see someone truely implament her yet
Non-existent throw game, terrible aerial hit confirmations leading into no real damage and heavy assist requirement. Essentially Jill without an invincible special move that leads into a full combo. X-23 is mostly dangerous because of her unblockable that can wipe out a team but it's still a gimmick and requires work from other characters on the team as well.

Plus other oddities with the character that hold her back. Pretty much any rushdown character that can't convert from throws without an OTG assist and has trouble getting damage from SJ height is not really worth picking in this game IMO. Felicia is like a tier above X-23 because of this, she is more reliable.

Also on the topic of Iron Man the only 3 times its worth picking Iron Man is in the following situation:

1) You play Magneto/Drones and you need a beam assist or Repulsar
2) You need a TAC infinite character, a DHC that does good damage and hits from a long distance, a good damaging THC and a beam that keeps the opponent standing. So like if you are playing Nova and you need a beam, you are better off playing Iron Man than Doom.
3) You already have Doom on your team for missiles but you need a durable beam (like in a team of Spencer/Iron Man/Doom)

There are very few situations in the game where you absolutely NEED Repulsar. I am sure people will experiment with the assist against MorriDoom but there aren't enough teams that can make great use of it. A lot of the characters that can make good use of it are some of the Mid tiers like Sentinel, Rocket Raccoon etc. In most cases you would want Unibeam over Repulsar but even so... Plasma Beam is going to be preferable because of the positioning from where Doom comes out.

It's not retarded, it's called practice and working that muscle memory. It's kind of like learning how to do a new motion on the stick.
It's one of the shittiest motions I've ever seen in a fighting game. It's one of the primary reasons I don't play Magneto. I can do it, but it feels extremely stupid. It sucks since I played Magneto a lot in MvC2, but fortunately you didn't need to use magnetic blast in that game unless you just wanted to stall in the air or something. In this game it's so much better.
What part of SoCal?

ditto.

maybe we can get a nice gaf IRL session going if we're near each other? racketpunch (i think) and i are in orange county.

I'm in the inland empire. Orange county ain't too bad. I've certainly traveled farther. I used to go to FFA every week when I was still playing 3rd Strike heavily.

hey! as long as i can get one or two infinites of with some sick dash styling freestyle. im set son. besides, i already have morridoom as my main team. i need to have some fun once in a while lol.

Or just do like me and play like a bitch and chip people the entire game. Hidden missiles + unibeam and smart bombs is actually kind of effective. And repulsor blast to keep people out.

hey! as long as i can get one or two infinites of with some sick dash styling freestyle. im set son. besides, i already have morridoom as my main team. i need to have some fun once in a while lol.

^ Wise words from Magus.

All I'm saying is that learning a character so you can "style on people" is one of the worst reasons to learn a character. ESPECIALLY if it's Iron man you're trying to learn.

Dahbomb

You can just learn the Iron Man TAC combos and put him at the back for Unibeam assist. Then you will get props for "swag combos" when you really didn't even learn the character.
Scumbag alert.

But Iron Man with Missiles is legit.

I tried playing Dante/Strange/Haggar today, which I thought would be better than Dante/Dorm/Haggar......but man once Dante dies I just can't get strange to land safely. I don't have nearly as much trouble with Dorm though.

JeTmAn81

It's one of the shittiest motions I've ever seen in a fighting game. It's one of the primary reasons I don't play Magneto. I can do it, but it feels extremely stupid. It sucks since I played Magneto a lot in MvC2, but fortunately you didn't need to use magnetic blast in that game unless you just wanted to stall in the air or something. In this game it's so much

Oh come on, it's literally just a fireball motion flipped upside down! It's not that crazy.

Oh come on, it's literally just a fireball motion flipped upside down! It's not that crazy.

It feels very unnatural. There's just no other move like it. Granted the way you move around with him it actually works out well. Still don't like it though, and I have no idea what I would change it to. Just like Skrull has some funky ass motions that would fit much better in an MK game. People complain about reverse dp motions but it's just a dp....so I've never understood that. I get that it's silly since you're going toward the opponent but doing a motion backwards, but it's still the same exact motion as a forward dp. I remember bitching about Cammy's hooligan and Fei's kicks in SF4....there was no fucking reason to keep the motions the same. The motions ended up being quite forgiving and easy to do, but still........WHY??? Just use a fucking qcf!!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56789132]Try pretzel charges if you wanna complain about weird inputs.[/QUOTE]

You mean like Guile and Blanka supers/ultras? I have no problem doing them, but they are really shitty inputs....completely unnecessary. Still hate magnetic blast more. At least with all these other goofy and shitty inputs they involve directions or inputs that are at least familiar. I'm charging down back all the time and I press up forward frequently. Familiar inputs. I really can't think of any moment when I press up and do a qcf starting from up. Even doing Ivy's stupid ass grab from SC2 felt more normal (don't remember if it was in SC3-5 since I dropped her)

Solune

It's not that crazy but it's unintuitive. There are time where you super jump and then go for a tri jump so you roll the stick or pad to DF, the game will read it as magnetic blast sometimes and it can be quite frustrating.

Top Bottom