• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I swear, I'm hitting a character slump right now. My Cap is, more or less, pretty top notch (at least in terms of my own abilities, not counting every Cap out there or anything) but my other characters always feel like trash. I can manage to squeak out wins every so often with Doom or Ammy (or Nova, if I play him), but it definitely feels like more of an uphill battle. Not sure if I need a team change to something more "boring", so to speak, or what. I can handle Doom/Nova combos just fine, it's just the movement and landing those hits that're giving me the most trouble...

Maybe it's just playing online that's the real trouble with the movement.

Also, I need to watch those Rebelo videos, he has some slick Cap combos.

Zissou

I swear, I'm hitting a character slump right now. My Cap is, more or less, pretty top notch (at least in terms of my own abilities, not counting every Cap out there or anything) but my other characters always feel like trash. I can manage to squeak out wins every so often with Doom or Ammy (or Nova, if I play him), but it definitely feels like more of an uphill battle. Not sure if I need a team change to something more "boring", so to speak, or what. I can handle Doom/Nova combos just fine, it's just the movement and landing those hits that're giving me the most trouble...

Maybe it's just playing online that's the real trouble with the movement.

Also, I need to watch those Rebelo videos, he has some slick Cap combos.

You play Cap/Doom/Ammy?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think I'm going to switch to Wesker/Iron Man/x.

After Alukard's performance and me always wanting to play Wesker, I think this is a good fit for me. Recommendations for easy anchor's to play?

After Alukard's performance and me always wanting to play Wesker, I think this is a good fit for me. Recommendations for easy anchor's to play?
IMO, Iron Man is all about being safe and defensive. He's kind of like Doom. So, he should go with assists that let him play a defensive game while also capitalizing on his ability to cover assists well. With Unibeam, you already have Wesker's #1 need taken care of.

So, I would go with a power assist like Sentinel Force or Hidden Missiles (I know, right?), OR, if you can get the Iron Man infinite down (and maybe even if not), consider a Phoenix anchor.

Frantic

I just discovered that Dante can duck under grounded Triple Arrow and Piercing Bolt by hitting cr.L. It's kind of hilarious, really.

Now to mash cr.L against the Vergil + Hawkeye duo!

Other random shit: cr.M anti-air's Deadpool's overhead crossup. It can also anti-airs Spencer horizontal air-zip + Bolts assist while not getting hit by Bolts. It looks really stupid.

Dahbomb

Vergil of course.

While Iron Man is supposed to be played safe and defensive like Doom he is not nearly as effective. His Smart Bombs are slow and cover a small portion of the screen, not nearly as good as Doom's Photon Shot. He also has no respect buttons like Foot Dive which have a hit box all around him. Also he has trouble creating space so he can't back dash into a normal for defense like some characters can.

He can play defense against certain characters well but against Wolverine, Vergil and Hawkeye you might as well just start the next match if you have to play solo IM. I am pretty sure IM vs Vergil is the equivalent of Haggar vs Magneto.

So I'm RTTP after never being good at this game cause a friend wants us to play it. I've noticed this while watching alot of tournaments, the music changes when you switch a character? What settings do you use for this?

I don't know how God's Beard is such a training mode monster. When I finally have free time, I don't want to practice Strange combos or figure out a good Synergy with Nova/Frank/Strange. I end up playing something else like Dragon's Dogma or Monster Hunter.

Azure J

I just discovered that Dante can duck under grounded Triple Arrow and Piercing Bolt by hitting cr.L. It's kind of hilarious, really.

Now to mash cr.L against the Vergil + Hawkeye duo!

Other random shit: cr.M anti-air's Deadpool's overhead crossup. It can also anti-airs Spencer horizontal air-zip + Bolts assist while not getting hit by Bolts. It looks really stupid.

Lately, I have found the strangest ways to "Not Get Hit™" when playing Dante. Using Drive to get under Wesker gunshot/Viper Optic Laser/Strange bolts is hilarious. I even had this one match where I got over a Dark Matter with a Revolver that came out by accident.

I swear, some of this stuff is so nutty but I am so happy it exists. :lol

With that being said, you up for matches later?

I have it on classic though, lol.

Also can someone explain this tiger knee technique? I'm using Phoenix.
Make a qcf motion (down to forward), and then continue to the up-forward position. Hold it there for maybe one fourth of a second before you push the button input. Your character will just barely leave the ground before performing the qcf attack.

I don't know how God's Beard is such a training mode monster. When I finally have free time, I don't want to practice Strange combos or figure out a good Synergy with Nova/Frank/Strange. I end up playing something else like Dragon's Dogma or Monster Hunter.
Well, keep in mind that GB's internet is so bad that you can launch someone and go to the bathroom before you have to continue the combo in the air. When he's at home, where his internet is better, he plays a lot more and trains a lot less.

Frantic

Lately, I have found the strangest ways to "Not Get Hit™" when playing Dante. Using Drive to get under Wesker gunshot/Viper Optic Laser/Strange bolts is hilarious. I even had this one match where I got over a Dark Matter with a Revolver that came out by accident.
I always use Drive against Weskers. Ducks gunshot, then they teleport right into the projectile. Really good against the Weskers who don't realize what assists are.

I also like using Drive against scrubby Dantes. They always teleport right into the hitbox a mile behind Dante.

With that being said, you up for matches later?
Maybe. Not sure if I'll be able to play today, but I'll see if I can.

EasyMode

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56976254]flight, plink dash down forward, plink dash on the ground tridash jL[/QUOTE]

Appreciated. Now I just need to get a handle on plink dashing :lol

Guys on streams make it look so easy. I'm lucky if I can do it 10% of the time.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
Don't know if this was posted. but I thought it was pretty cool. MVC2 sprites for MVC3 cast

WwHBo3f.jpg

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56986858]Messing around with Viper/Dante/Magneto combos, and suddenly:

Burst Time DHC Devil Trigger, Grapple, call burn kick assist and hit low

LOL[/QUOTE]
Raw tag?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56987280]Sure, but you can just bold cancel the low too and get a free kill.[/QUOTE]
It probably still ends up being just a 50/50.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56987886]Still funny ^_^

edit: So is Emergency Combination DHC Devil Trigger to walk through Chaotic Flame lol[/QUOTE]
You can also do this with Akuma's dp hyper.

FuLLBLeeD

Neo Member
Vergil of course.

While Iron Man is supposed to be played safe and defensive like Doom he is not nearly as effective. His Smart Bombs are slow and cover a small portion of the screen, not nearly as good as Doom's Photon Shot. He also has no respect buttons like Foot Dive which have a hit box all around him. Also he has trouble creating space so he can't back dash into a normal for defense like some characters can.

He can play defense against certain characters well but against Wolverine, Vergil and Hawkeye you might as well just start the next match if you have to play solo IM. I am pretty sure IM vs Vergil is the equivalent of Haggar vs Magneto.

You are right about IM vs Vergil being awful, but he handles Hawkeye fine.

Azure J

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56986858]Messing around with Viper/Dante/Magneto combos, and suddenly:

Burst Time DHC Devil Trigger, Grapple, call burn kick assist and hit low

LOL[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56987886]Still funny ^_^

edit: So is Emergency Combination DHC Devil Trigger to walk through Chaotic Flame lol[/QUOTE]

Emergency Combo DHC Devil Trigger is so damn good, it's pretty much a giant fuck you to zoning teams. :lol

Meanwhile, you don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes with this assist and duo. For example:

(In corner) [Hard Knockdown - Cold Shower] or [s.S - Clay Pigeon] - Stinger Lv.2 - BC Acid Rain - Back Dash + Burn Kick assist - Plink Back Dash - s.H or whatever button - Air Trick - fake high j.L - land - c.L as Burn Kick is active.

EasyMode

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";56976254]flight, plink dash down forward, plink dash on the ground tridash jL[/QUOTE]

I was in the lab and I found that airdash downforward j.S, dash forward c.H works nice and easy. But I'll practice my plink dashing anyways, I think I'm at 33% consistency now. Looks neat when it works.

Emergency Combo DHC Devil Trigger is so damn good, it's pretty much a giant fuck you to zoning teams. :lol

Meanwhile, you don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes with this assist and duo. For example:

(In corner) [Hard Knockdown - Cold Shower] or [s.S - Clay Pigeon] - Stinger Lv.2 - BC Acid Rain - Back Dash + Burn Kick assist - Plink Back Dash - s.H or whatever button - Air Trick - fake high j.L - land - c.L as Burn Kick is active.

All kinds of cool stuff. Also to my surprise, Million Dollars does way more damage than Haggar's Body Press. The same Viper combo with Dante does almost 1.1 million for two bars that barely broke a mill with Haggar.

I've been messing around with going to Devil Trigger instead but it doesn't seem like I can get a lot because I'm just about maxing out hitstun with Viper first. Better than Dollars if I'm about to kill, of course.

Azure J

Not only are you maxing out hitstun, but you're also at max scaling and Dante's dmage at max scaling is so saddening. :(

You have the right idea about going into DT post Burst Time if the damage is enough to get the KO. It's great because then you get enough time to hard tag in Viper and try an unblockable with Jam Session and you also have DT Dante to TAC to or for him to Hard Drive through incoming setups.

Azure J

GGs Frantic, your Dante is fucking ridiculous now. It really felt like I just had no game plan for those matches watching it work. Tell me how halfway through the set though, I find out that my P2 Assist was busted again? I really need a new pad but eh poverty.

Not to take away from what you were doing though. Dante with a horizontal and Vajra anti-air is the complete package and I'm jealous as fuck, even though I love my Viper/Dante/Strider.

I was attempting to try and go in more just because I'm finally feeling better about my ability to stay in with Dante, but damn if it didn't feel like there was always something meticulously placed when I attempted to do stuff. Strider oddly enough feels like he leveled down even though he was putting in work elsewhere pretty recently.

Frantic

Sorry that I had to go, Azure. Getting tired and hungry. GGs, though.

Don't feel too bad about losing. You've gotten a lot better, and you had me in a lot of games, you just failed to convert into damage in most situations. Your biggest problem right now, imo, is that you don't convert into damage when you get hits - mostly with Viper. Other than that, I feel your neutral game has improved a lot. Especially with Dante. You're throwing out Air Play, Drive and Crystal in good spots that make it harder for me to approach. Your Viper, I feel, needs to do a little less Seismo > Laser and more just Seismo. Though I know that's pretty damn hard - especially online.

GGs Frantic, your Dante is fucking ridiculous now. It really felt like I just had no game plan for those matches watching it work. Tell me how halfway through the set though, I find out that my P2 Assist was busted again? I really need a new pad but eh poverty.
Haha, I attribute most of my Dante play to the fact the lag wasn't as bad as normal! I felt like I could actually do everything I wanted to do without a problem. At least after the initial hiccups. My Trish and Strider play were meh though. I seem to have stages where my Dante is really sick, and my Trish and Strider are okay, and then my Dante is okay and my Trish and Strider are sick. *shrug*

Sucks about your controller, though. :( I need to replace mine, but dat poverty is too strong.

Not to take away from what you were doing though. Dante with a horizontal and Vajra anti-air is the complete package and I'm jealous as fuck, even though I love my Viper/Dante/Strider.
I honestly feel like my team is the most optimized team for point Dante, although it's not the most optimized Dante team. Low Voltage is really, really underrated for Dante.

I was attempting to try and go in more just because I'm finally feeling better about my ability to stay in with Dante, but damn if it didn't feel like there was always something meticulously placed when I attempted to do stuff. Strider oddly enough feels like he leveled down even though he was putting in work elsewhere pretty recently.
With Strider, you need to do less I think. Just move and space people out with s.H and Formation B. It's generally really slow(outside of XF3, anyways), but it generally is how I win with Strider.

Your Dante is definitely a lot better, though.

Twister does, too. EX Seismo doesn't have a whole lot of durability, but it is invincible for a long ass time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IMO, Iron Man is all about being safe and defensive. He's kind of like Doom. So, he should go with assists that let him play a defensive game while also capitalizing on his ability to cover assists well. With Unibeam, you already have Wesker's #1 need taken care of.

So, I would go with a power assist like Sentinel Force or Hidden Missiles (I know, right?), OR, if you can get the Iron Man infinite down (and maybe even if not), consider a Phoenix anchor.
I think Strider would go well with that team.
Vergil of course.

Ugh, I hate all of those characters :( Well, I don't mind Phoenix, but she's way too much of a liability for me to play her. I'll give them each another shot I guess.

Azure J

Oh, and I have to mention two related things. You don't know how hype I was when I saw you plink flying to catch me with Dante. I was like "this guy is seriously using this against me?!" :lol

On the other hand, every attempt I tried to catch you at SJ height with a plinked flight dash grab turning into Rain Storm killed me on the inside. The only reason I didn't use more Seismos online tonight were either because I couldn't get my spacing before your Wolverine style Dante was on my ass, or I'd get the spacing and the input would fuck up. Stupid Xbox control sticks loosening... That in combination with P2 (Vajra) assist not working = GGs trying to play online Viper. I tried using more Optic Laser as a ghetto substitute, but it's just not the same. :lol

Fuck Taskmaster btw, I totally blocked that c.M way more times than that. =/

Edit: How can you hate Strider? Do you hate freedom too?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh, and I have to mention two related things. You don't know how hype I was when I saw you plink flying to catch me with Dante. I was like "this guy is seriously using this against me?!" :lol

On the other hand, every attempt I tried to catch you at SJ height with a plinked flight dash grab turning into Rain Storm killed me on the inside. The only reason I didn't use more Seismos online tonight were either because I couldn't get my spacing before your Wolverine style Dante was on my ass, or I'd get the spacing and the input would fuck up. Stupid Xbox control sticks loosening... That in combination with P2 (Vajra) assist not working = GGs trying to play online Viper. I tried using more Optic Laser as a ghetto substitute, but it's just not the same. :lol

Edit: How can you hate Strider? Do you hate freedom too?
I have shit execution so I can't do all the cool stuff. Plus I don't like low damage/reset based characters.

Frantic

Once I learned how to plink dash consistently, I went to every flight character and tried their plink dashes. It's fun! And very useful.

And that's why I don't play Viper! My execution randomly flubs as it is, I don't need a character to increase my chances of flubbing! lol

And yeah, I kinda know how the Rain Storm thing feels. If I mess up any down airdash related plinks with Trish, I get a dive kick and that destroys all of my momentum. :/

Also, on the subject of Wolverine-ish Dante, I was trying out a lot of different things. Started trying to incorporate Bold Move more into my pressure, and stuff like s.L > dash > s.L for counter hits and what not. There's a lot of stuff I can improve on to really make Dante impossible to get off.

lol. That Taskmaster team is more or less my version Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye. It's the team I go to when I just want to push some buttons and not really think. SHIEEELD SKILLLZZZ!

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but I don't know how to play Nova. At all.

Is my Dante getting close to Yipes tier? :p

Azure J

I gotcha then Enzo. I can deal with Strider because I love setups and resets (favorite part about fighting games really) and as someone who comes from a Smash background, his ground dash crouch canceled invokes a great feeling.

Is my Dante getting close to Yipes tier? :p

Haha, I'd say yes, but Yipes tier Dante got lit up this past weekend. Honestly though, you should definitely look into getting a place in a local or major near you. Some of the stuff I saw your Dante doing just felt like years ahead of every other one I've fought thus far.

Frantic

Haha, I'd say yes, but Yipes tier Dante got lit up this past weekend. Honestly though, you should definitely look into getting a place in a local or major near you. Some of the stuff I saw your Dante doing just felt like years ahead of every other one I've fought thus far.
Well, I'd probably get lit up too. I doubt I'd be able to handle tournament nerves whatsoever. :p Still, thanks for the compliment. I do my best so that I may one day become the best Dante, haha.

But I definitely want to make it out to some event someday. The problem is time and money, unfortunately. :/
also hate crowded places and BO, which I hear the FGC reeks of :p

Solune

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57013334]All kinds of cool stuff. Also to my surprise, Million Dollars does way more damage than Haggar's Body Press. The same Viper combo with Dante does almost 1.1 million for two bars that barely broke a mill with Haggar.

I've been messing around with going to Devil Trigger instead but it doesn't seem like I can get a lot because I'm just about maxing out hitstun with Viper first. Better than Dollars if I'm about to kill, of course.[/QUOTE]

You get about 90k more damage if you use Rapid Fire Fists, but of course is unsafe if you don't kill.

Vice

Well, I'd probably get lit up too. I doubt I'd be able to handle tournament nerves whatsoever. :p Still, thanks for the compliment. I do my best so that I may one day become the best Dante, haha.

But I definitely want to make it out to some event someday. The problem is time and money, unfortunately. :/
also hate crowded places and BO, which I hear the FGC reeks of :p

Where are you at?

Anyone near CenCal interested in coming to a new monthly event?

edit:
My Dante is coming along. It may be ready for tournament play soon.

Top Bottom