• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

But I definitely want to make it out to some event someday. The problem is time and money, unfortunately. :/
also hate crowded places and BO, which I hear the FGC reeks of :p

You need to find a way to get to EVO so that we can play with no lag fucking either of us up damn it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57013334]All kinds of cool stuff. Also to my surprise, Million Dollars does way more damage than Haggar's Body Press. [/QUOTE]

Body Press only does a lot of damage if you hit them on the way down, like Gamma Crush.

smurfx

get some go again
man no matter how close i come i always lose to honzo gonzo in the end. ;_; got destroyed so many times by xf 3 ammy.

Make a qcf motion (down to forward), and then continue to the up-forward position. Hold it there for maybe one fourth of a second before you push the button input. Your character will just barely leave the ground before performing the qcf attack.

Thanks! Can't believe I didn't know this before, lol. It's so easy.

Body Press only does a lot of damage if you hit them on the way down, like Gamma Crush.

I know, that's why I was surprised Million Dollars did more than that. Burst Time lifts them all the way up to super jump height.

Where are you at?

Anyone near CenCal interested in coming to a new monthly event?

edit:
My Dante is coming along. It may be ready for tournament play soon.

Where in CenCal, I'll be in SLO all summer.

I played 6 hours of local casuals last night. Firebrand cleaned house. It's amazing how little experimentation people do. I had three different people ask me whether Firebrand's charged H is an unblockable, and two people said they've never fought a Firebrand or Shuma-Gorath.

And just as people used to slowly switch to Wesker/Dante/Strider when they lost six months ago, and swapped to Phoenix in Vanilla, now people slowly switch to Wolverine/Doom/Vergil. This team is ridiculously free to Firebrand/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath once Wolverine dies. Vergil has no answer to Firebrand unblockables, and Doom is just plain "lol" against Dormammu/Mystic Ray. The only problem is getting that hit in on Wolverine. It's not a good matchup for Firebrand, and one opponent just kept blocking with Wolverine while calling Plasma Beam, which hit Firebrand out of any approaches. Then he got a full Wolverine combo and killed Firebrand. I don't really know what to do about that matchup. I can win it maybe 1/3 of the time, but it's not in my favor. I might have to start burning Luminous Body at the start of the match and playing the whole thing in install mode, foregoing finishing hypers. That's a big risk, though.

I was sad when I discovered the first station I sat down at didn't even have Shuma-Gorath unlocked. :-(

Edit: Oh yeah, and I also met the tournament organizer for UFGT9. Nice guy. He posts on GAF. I think his name was...CurlyW, or something? I'm drawing a blank.

I'd much rather see a thousand Vergil players than one Firebrand player. The few Shuma players I've come across were a real pain in the ass too. I really need to start playing as Shuma so I can have some idea of what to do against him.

But yeah most people aren't real familiar with characters outside of the top 10. It might be why I have more success with Chris, Felicia, point Strider, and Modok (when I can get him going) than with magneto, wesker, and others

Zissou

I'll second Firebrand being annoying to fight against. He can chuck fireballs surprisingly fast covering a variety of angles, his normals are quick, and kidnap seems like it beats EVERYTHING /salt
thank the marvel gods I have vajra

I'll second Firebrand being annoying to fight against. He can chuck fireballs surprisingly fast covering a variety of angles, his normals are quick, and kidnap seems like it beats EVERYTHING /salt
He needs 3 combos to kill anyone, though! :p

Zissou

Low damage or not, I still hate him!
...though I'd probably play him myself if he was a conventional airdash/flight character, haha

Random question: do any of Dorm's aerial normals have any projectile nullification capabilities or is that only certain ground normals?

Then he got a full Wolverine combo and killed Firebrand. I don't really know what to do about that matchup. I can win it maybe 1/3 of the time

I swear if I dash up low short with Strider or X-23, I get bodied, but if I dash up low short with Wolverine(a character I don't play) people just shit themselves. I wonder how much of the matchup is people's learned helplessness.

Dahbomb

I played 6 hours of local casuals last night. Firebrand cleaned house. It's amazing how little experimentation people do. I had three different people ask me whether Firebrand's charged H is an unblockable, and two people said they've never fought a Firebrand or Shuma-Gorath.

And just as people used to slowly switch to Wesker/Dante/Strider when they lost six months ago, and swapped to Phoenix in Vanilla, now people slowly switch to Wolverine/Doom/Vergil. This team is ridiculously free to Firebrand/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath once Wolverine dies. Vergil has no answer to Firebrand unblockables, and Doom is just plain "lol" against Dormammu/Mystic Ray. The only problem is getting that hit in on Wolverine. It's not a good matchup for Firebrand, and one opponent just kept blocking with Wolverine while calling Plasma Beam, which hit Firebrand out of any approaches. Then he got a full Wolverine combo and killed Firebrand. I don't really know what to do about that matchup. I can win it maybe 1/3 of the time, but it's not in my favor. I might have to start burning Luminous Body at the start of the match and playing the whole thing in install mode, foregoing finishing hypers. That's a big risk, though.

I was sad when I discovered the first station I sat down at didn't even have Shuma-Gorath unlocked. :-(

Edit: Oh yeah, and I also met the tournament organizer for UFGT9. Nice guy. He posts on GAF. I think his name was...CurlyW, or something? I'm drawing a blank.
That sounds like you were bodied by Plasma Beam moreso than Wolverine himself. I would just stay out of Plasma Beam height and swoop around with kidnaps/dive kicks.

People were playing Wolverine Plasma Beam at Toryuken and they all got bodied by Zeros, V Joes, Morrigans and Trish. Essentially those characters who can do stuff above Plasma Beam height. Even so good defense and movement is required.

Zissou

Yeah, even if you avoid plasma beam, you always have to worry about divekicks and airthrows, and you have to come down from the sky eventually... Wolverine is scary

...though I'd probably play him myself if he was a conventional airdash/flight character, haha

Random question: do any of Dorm's aerial normals have any projectile nullification capabilities or is that only certain ground normals?
I think Dorms j. M nullifies projectiles.

Azure J

Firebrand is like one of the few characters in the game I'm terrified playing against and my team is cheap as fuck. He just makes Viper so unsafe if he gets anywhere in the quadrant above and between Seismos L and M. Fear of swoop is too strong.

Thank the lords I have a legit Dante and Strider.

I used to hate Firebrand's movement, but I've gotten better at it. I can TK wall-spits well on my left side.

All of Dormammu's non-L normals nullify projectiles. In fact, s.S even nullifies projectiles BEHIND Dormammu. I had this happen last night when Wolverine went for Berserker Slash + Plasma Beam, and I launched him out of it while negating Plasma Beam - LOL! There was some salt there.

That sounds like you were bodied by Plasma Beam moreso than Wolverine himself. I would just stay out of Plasma Beam height and swoop around with kidnaps/dive kicks.

People were playing Wolverine Plasma Beam at Toryuken and they all got bodied by Zeros, V Joes, Morrigans and Trish. Essentially those characters who can do stuff above Plasma Beam height. Even so good defense and movement is required.
You're absolutely right, the problem was not really Wolverine. The problem was a combination of Plasma Beam and then him TACing to Doom for the infinite (grrrrr). I think I need to make more use of Firebrand's ground to air flight. I messed with it in training mode, and it's helpful to use as a way to fly up to superjump height before calling an assist.

I also biffed up at least 3 XF3 Shuma-Gorath comebacks against him, though I made plenty of comebacks with him otherwise last night. I actually landed two XF3 Chaos Dimensions against someone, and there was some salt on that "When the hell did you get 3 bars again?" YEAH! XF3, unblockable kill one character, 50/50 the next one, build a bar in XF3 (easy), Chaos Dimension!!!

I just need a good opening mix-up for Shuma-Gorath. I've done j.S for a while, and it's good at getting the hit in, but I mess up the follow-up. I'd love to figure out a better option. It's the biggest weakness in my Shuma-Gorath game.

Zissou

Why can he nullify projectiles while jumping -_-

Would something like butter gun still work against stuff like j.M/j.H since it has so many active frames?

Dahbomb

FChamp was practicing swatting Morrigan's fireballs while teleporting all around her. This not only allows Dorm to get around the fireballs (and negate some of them) but it also messes up her inputs.

Why can he nullify projectiles while jumping -_-

Would something like butter gun still work against stuff like j.M/j.H since it has so many active frames?
Nope.

FChamp was practicing swatting Morrigan's fireballs while teleporting all around her. This not only allows Dorm to get around the fireballs (and negate some of them) but it also messes up her inputs.
Any time my opponent starts to do the walls, I wait for Morrigan to land and Bon Voyage from 2/3 of a screen away - let's go on a ride baby! I found that Firebrand had a very good time against Morrigan, because you never have to worry about your combos getting interrupted by Soul Fists. Bon Voyage takes care of all that. Ditto for Hidden Missiles.

Vice

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57050890]I know, that's why I was surprised Million Dollars did more than that. Burst Time lifts them all the way up to super jump height.

Where in CenCal, I'll be in SLO all summer.[/QUOTE]

Bakersfield. Like two hours east I think.

onionfrog

GGs OnionFrog :)

My Hulk and Sentinel need leveling up, and I need to tech those air grabs. You played your whole team well.
Good Games to you as well EasyMode!
Nice Magneto, I can't even do mag blast combos so props for that. Your sentinel did alright, but you may want to go for easier combos if there is lag. I noticed you dropping his flight combo quite a few times.

The connection was a little laggy, is your ps3 hooked up via a wired connection?

Also my Dante got away with too many fraudulent comebacks lol. ;)

Nope.

Any time my opponent starts to do the walls, I wait for Morrigan to land and Bon Voyage from 2/3 of a screen away - let's go on a ride baby! I found that Firebrand had a very good time against Morrigan, because you never have to worry about your combos getting interrupted by Soul Fists. Bon Voyage takes care of all that. Ditto for Hidden Missiles.
While I've been trying to figure out anti Morridoom teams, I've found out that firebrand and Jill have been working out quite well for me against them.

EasyMode

The connection was a little laggy, is your ps3 hooked up via a wired connection?

It is wired, but my cable connection is literally hanging over the street across trees and lamp posts :lol, so there may be interference. I should call my cable company to bury that, they hooked it up in winter and said they couldn't at the time.

Azure J

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57107742]I was wrong, TK H after Viper's overhead always works. I didn't realize it was a cancel :-([/QUOTE]

Yup.

Zissou, I know that feel man. I just don't challenge Dorm buttons when the person using them knows how to stuff certain things, they are far too strong.

Zissou

Yup.

Zissou, I know that feel man. I just don't challenge Dorm buttons when the person using them knows how to stuff certain things, they are far too strong.

The more you play the game, the more it seems like half the cast has faux-sword normals, haha. Dorm's buttons are good and they stick out there to hit you for AGES. The 180 from "YEEAHHHHH, whiff punish!" to "WTF how did I get hit?!?!!!" happens far too often :(

Sorry, Sollune(if you are the same gaffer). I sent the message, but I forgot that the PS3 has to intstall the stupid game first before I can start playing.

Vice

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57122088]Bakos, huh.

*shiver*[/QUOTE]

Just don't breathe in too much air and you'll make it out of here fine.

Solune

Sorry, Sollune(if you are the same gaffer). I sent the message, but I forgot that the PS3 has to intstall the stupid game first before I can start playing.

I am one and the same? I really hate that someone took my PSN ID but very rarely ever logs on ;_;.

We'll play another time, just hit me up on here or PM, because I only go on the PS3 when someone messages me to play. Since you're usually in the Skullheart IRC(?) you should come to animeGAF since I hang out there all day.

I am one and the same? I really hate that someone took my PSN ID but very rarely ever logs on ;_;.

We'll play another time, just hit me up on here or PM, because I only go on the PS3 when someone messages me to play. Since you're usually in the Skullheart IRC(?) you should come to animeGAF since I hang out there all day.
I know that feeling. I used to be "Karst" everywhere. Then Golden Sun became more popular. "Karsticles" was a joke handle.

Did you get a UMvC3 invite from someone last night around 2:30AM? Then you are the guy.

I used to go to AnimeGAF and they were the absolute best, but their threads are on X-factor 24/7 and I practically have an OCD that makes me read every last damn word in every thread. I ain't about that life right now.

Managed to install TTT2 while the iron was hot if you play that game too...

Top Bottom