• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Is it possible to build a team around Iron Man?
I don't know about on point, but you can definitely make a team where he's 2nd. He has good incoming mixups, a solid DHC and a relatively simple TAC infinite. He also has guard breaks with characters that have anti-air hypers like frank or spider-man.

He's really good with Magneto, Captain America or X-23 on point.

Ken

A lot of things are possible, but not all of them are good ideas :p

You mean an Iron Man point team?

Something like that. Trying to find viable ways to play characters I like for non-gameplay reasons.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57381124]I don't know about on point, but you can definitely make a team where he's 2nd. He has good incoming mixups, a solid DHC and a relatively simple TAC infinite. He also has guard breaks with characters that have anti-air hypers like frank or spider-man.

He's really good with Magneto, Captain America or X-23 on point.[/QUOTE]

2nd works too.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57380238]My new anti-wolverine strategy with Magneto: mash superjump airdash down-back jH

I AM GOD OF THE SKY

also, Wesker and felicia's command grabs whiff against each other? weird[/QUOTE]

Against Wolverine, you need to be doing adb mag blast or addb mag blast. You should do adf/addf mag blast if you have an assist to cover you. You also need your air plinkdashing down so you don't get thrown. It's a very hard matchup for Magneto, he has to play keepaway until he gets Wolverine to block missiles or plasma beam.

Azure J

Bad anchor Striders fall into the same thing. I end up in permanent blockstrings receiving a relatively small amount of chip and they completely waste orbs, haha.

Pretty much, this is also the reason why against people who play Strider themselves, I do a lot of orbs shooting while calling tigers. The chip is too real and it frustrates them whereas in a situation with someone going nuts with Orbs, they're good at blocking them from seeing how they would use the move.

Heh, personally, I suck at using orbs properly so my anchor Strider pretty much boils down to doing the same shit he always does + XF guard cancel into infinite and/or Ragnarok >.>

Against Wolverine, you need to be doing adb mag blast or addb mag blast. You should do adf/addf mag blast if you have an assist to cover you. You also need your air plinkdashing down so you don't get thrown. It's a very hard matchup for Magneto, he has to play keepaway until he gets Wolverine to block missiles or plasma beam.

I know, I was just joking around lol

L3E2

Hey guys,

I used to creep previous UMVC3 OTs back when I was into fighting games, and I randomly look through the weekly fighting game threads when majors and what not are on. I've been away from fighting games for maybe over a year now and I wanna get back into playing Marvel. I was hoping I could get some tips from you guys for team composition.

Back when I used to play I would play Wolverine/Taskmaster/Akuma or Spencer/Taskmaster/Akuma but my Akuma blows and isn't a good anchor for me (constant fireball spam and its terrible lol). I really want to try and learn how to play Dante cause I love that jam session assist but I don't really know much about playing him other than his training missions.

Out of Wolverine, Taskmaster and Spencer I would like to play 2 of those with Dante as my third for that jam session but my brother thinks its too ridiculous of a team and doesn't work. I just wanted to know what some of you seasoned vets think about it. Thanks.

Can you combo off berserker slash with taskmaster arrows? If so, then Wolverine/Taskmaster/Dante is probably your best bet. Personally I think Wolverine/Spencer/Taskmaster is better.

edit: hmm, task arrows only kind of work. Then I'd probably go with Spencer/Taskmaster/Dante.

double edit: wow you really have to be point blank to combo off spencer's overhead with task arrows. Have to call it a little early I guess

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57422474]Can you combo off berserker slash with taskmaster arrows? If so, then Wolverine/Taskmaster/Dante is probably your best bet. Personally I think Wolverine/Spencer/Taskmaster is better.

edit: hmm, task arrows only kind of work. Then I'd probably go with Spencer/Taskmaster/Dante.

double edit: wow you really have to be point blank to combo off spencer's overhead with task arrows. Have to call it a little early I guess[/QUOTE]
You can combo off of Berserker Slash with Jam Session when it crosses up.

L3E2

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57422474]Can you combo off berserker slash with taskmaster arrows? If so, then Wolverine/Taskmaster/Dante is probably your best bet. Personally I think Wolverine/Spencer/Taskmaster is better.

double edit: wow you really have to be point blank to combo off spencer's overhead with task arrows. Have to call it a little early I guess[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't really know the timing of berserker slash and calling arrows yet but I've done it a couple of times by accident, I'm sure I can get it down with some practice. I don't have my stick with me right now so I can't play around.

I like how Wolverine/Taskmaster/Dante sounds in my head, I think that I'll try and play around with that later tonight.

Ken

What's that combo everyone does on stream with Magneto that builds a billion meter?

I feel like if I can't do that I should give up on Magneto.

What's that combo everyone does on stream with Magneto that builds a billion meter?

I feel like if I can't do that I should give up on Magneto.

2LLS, jH adf jH xx Magnetic Blast L, dash S, jH adf jH xx flight, jLH adf jH adf jH addf jH, H xx Hyper Grav L, sj addf jH H xx Hyper Grav L, sj addf jH, H xx Hyper Grav L, HS, jMMHS, A1(Hidden Missiles), attraction, Hyper Grav H xx Magnetic Tempest

Kioshen

God's Beard! said:
2LLS, jH adf jH xx Magnetic Blast L, dash S, jH adf jH xx flight, jLH adf jH adf jH addf jH, H xx Hyper Grav L, sj addf jH H xx Hyper Grav L, sj addf jH, H xx Hyper Grav L, HS, jMMHS, A1(Hidden Missiles), attraction, Hyper Grav H xx Magnetic Tempest

Just in case you need clarification this is the full corner to corner magnus combo. Bolded part gets you the first half screen, italic part gets you the second part of the screen into corner, underline needs to be in the corner. The underline part is where the real meter building part gets going but it's also the harder section to pull off (to me). especially online.

I personally don't even do hyper grav loops. I like mag blast combos better, but all Magneto's combos do the same thing. Corner carry, 600k and a bar and a half.

Also, I was messing with Chun-Li/Spencer/Strange, was it already known that Chun Li could do a TAC glitch? I found one out today.

Ken

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57447188]2LLS, jH adf jH xx Magnetic Blast L, dash S, jH adf jH xx flight, jLH adf jH adf jH addf jH, H xx Hyper Grav L, sj addf jH H xx Hyper Grav L, sj addf jH, H xx Hyper Grav L, HS, jMMHS, A1(Hidden Missiles), attraction, Hyper Grav H xx Magnetic Tempest[/QUOTE]

I think my fight cancel is off because jL does not connect after the first flight.

Also doing magnetic blast while facing the left is the worst.

wow that skrull/dorm/haggar player (Zoomba) wrecking people on that stream that had Justin Wong in it made me feel a lot more confident in Dante/Dorm/Haggar

The big trick to lariat spamming is to make sure I call Haggar before my blockstring parts, or at least watch out for moments where an opponent who likes to mash his way out of rushdown can tag Haggar.

Haggar anchor is actually a lot of fun too. Yea its not great, but I catch a lot of people not respecting the pipe.

JeTmAn81

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57474382]Could also be a spacing issue. Try hitting the jH a little lower and make sure you're jumping forward.[/QUOTE]

Yup, these are both factors. You have to have the timing of j.H into flight mode down, and you also need to know at about what height to hit them with the j.H. My suggestion for practicing this would be to start by getting the timing of cancelling into flight mode from the j.H by doing a basic flight loop in the corner. Just doing S, j.H, ADF, j.H, Flight, L, H into the looped H's should work, and the height restrictions on hitting them are much more lenient in the corner.

This strikes me as yet another one of those areas with a lot of little hidden details nobody talks about. Of course the pro's make it look like a breeze on streams, but in reality they're doing a very specific sequence of actions which need to be understood in order to replicate what they're doing.

Zissou

I've been messing around with Trish/Task/Doom(missiles) lately- seems pretty good. Task horizontal arrows help Trish on the ground since her own projectiles aren't great in their own, and missiles is missiles. Trish's rushdown once they're forced to block a successful missiles call is much better than I thought too- she's pretty beastly overall. Her damage isn't great once I land a hit, so if I've been doing hard knockdown -> round harvest -> hard tag Doom and go for mix-ups a lot of the time (Goa style). I'm doing the standard missiles assist extension for my Trish bnb, but I have no idea how to use missiles in Task combos- anybody have any ideas?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57517078]You should teach me. I've got combos and setups but very little matchup knowledge

Right now I'm playing Hawkeye/Vergil/????[/QUOTE]
How is that ???? not Strider?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Panda's Hawkeye Match-Up Compendium

1) Give up vs good Vergils
2) Give up vs shitty Vergils
3) Spencer is annoying
4) Wolverine, you're fucked
5) Doctor Strange is annoying but I think that's just because I do know what to do vs one in general

Rising Sun is actually a solid assist because if Vergil is in Devil Trigger, it gains a hit of super armor. So you basically get Hulk's Gamma Charge AA assist, but with more hitstun so you can combo off of it.

How is that ???? not Strider?

I'd been playing Strider on that team this whole time, but if I'm gonna take it more seriously I have to realise that my Strider is serious doodoo, and I don't even like playing him without disruptor.

I've tried Trish, Chris and Shuma so far with equal amounts of meh.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57519848]I'd been playing Strider on that team this whole time, but if I'm gonna take it more seriously I have to realise that my Strider is serious doodoo, and I don't even like playing him without disruptor.

I've tried Trish, Chris and Shuma so far with equal amounts of meh.[/QUOTE]
Beam Assist
Arrow Assist
Jam Session
Strider
Haggar

All good choices.

Why does ice arrow have a different effect when it's coming out of the roll than the hops?

edit: jump over the opponent, call an assist to push them back in front of you, helm breaker is a funny mixup

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Out of all of the new characters introduced in the MvC3 series, what characters do you guys feel will stand the test of time and make the shortlist for MvC4?

Obviously this is very early and we don't know what IPs will be popular for both Marvel and Capcom half a decade from now, but if you had to guess, who would make it out of the new class?

Out of all of the new characters introduced in the MvC3 series, what characters do you guys feel will stand the test of time and make the shortlist for MvC4?

Obviously this is very early and we don't know what IPs will be popular for both Marvel and Capcom half a decade from now, but if you had to guess, who would make it out of the new class?
I honestly think Dormammu will stick around. He is aesthetically popular and has a very unique playstyle.

Top Bottom