• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IMO:

Dante
- Staple and major Capcom property. Everyone likes Dante & watching Dante play

Doctor Strange
- Will be a prominent part of Phase 2 of the MCU, and I can see him making an appearance along perhaps Black Panther. Also he's cool. Maybe Dormammu will come with if a standalone movie is made, who is also pretty unique. Maybe Nova now that we have the first hint of a possible Nova in the MCU.

Frank West
- I don't think Dead Rising is going away anytime soon, and he's unique and recognizable enough to the masses that they will buy in. Maybe Chuck, or whoever, but I can see a DR rep doing a whole bunch of stuff that Frank does will get in.

Wesker
- RE is another huge property and Wesker has resonated more with core fans and casual observers than other RE characters. Also very popular character in gameplay.

Thor
- Now that he's here, he's not going away anytime soon in games that will have Cap and Iron Man guaranteed. With Marvel reintroducing it's properties to the masses and Thor getting decent reception, this is a lock.

Viewtiful Joe or Amaterasu
- I don't know which, or if both, but at least one of Clover's children will return. Capcom still likes these characters as much as they may not be ready to commit to anything with them.

Capcom side is harder. Zero might get replaced by a real Megaman. Spencer is basically irrelevant, even the rearmed version. Arthur seems like he won't fly again in the future without a backer like Seth and Viper is uncertain because there's already so many SF characters and I can't see her making it in over Ryu/Akuma/Chun priority, though it'd be nice. That spot could just go to a SFIII rep depending on who they feel like they should be nice to.

With Marvel, MODOK has been quirky and couuuuld make it in again because of the crazy unique playstyle, but its more unlikely than likely. Can't really make compelling arguments for the rest and a few are a product of their time, and I'm sure Capcom doesn't want to deal with the Phoenix headache again. Balanced or not.

shaowebb

Out of all of the new characters introduced in the MvC3 series, what characters do you guys feel will stand the test of time and make the shortlist for MvC4?

Obviously this is very early and we don't know what IPs will be popular for both Marvel and Capcom half a decade from now, but if you had to guess, who would make it out of the new class?

There wont be a Marvel 4. They'll end up giving NRS a go at the license and then get addicted to profitable fighting games after that. /kappa

Out of all of the new characters introduced in the MvC3 series, what characters do you guys feel will stand the test of time and make the shortlist for MvC4?

Obviously this is very early and we don't know what IPs will be popular for both Marvel and Capcom half a decade from now, but if you had to guess, who would make it out of the new class?

Really hope we keep Nova and MODOK, at the least.

I'd like to see Taskmaster come back, but I have a strong feeling that wouldn't happen :(

Marz

I honestly think Dormammu will stick around. He is aesthetically popular and has a very unique playstyle.

You could say that about Blackheart in MvC2 though, who Dormammu basically replaced.

Although I agree that Dormammu is really cool in this game.

You could say that about Blackheart in MvC2 though, who Dormammu basically replaced.

Although I agree that Dormammu is really cool in this game.
I honestly think that Dormammu had a much bigger impact on people than Blackheart. He has a lot more "character". Plus he'll probably be in the Dr. Strange movie...

I honestly think that Dormammu had a much bigger impact on people than Blackheart. He has a lot more "character". Plus he'll probably be in the Dr. Strange movie...

I never liked Blackheart. To my younger self, he was always "that CPU blob that would always block." Dormammu has way more character than Blackheart could dream of.

I never liked Blackheart. To my younger self, he was always "that CPU blob that would always block." Dormammu has way more character than Blackheart could dream of.
I liked Blackheart's playstyle, but I hated the pig demon aesthetic and his audio set: "BLUUUH!" It's mostly the audio that gives Dormammu his character. He has a lot of great lines that are delivered by a talented voice actor.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There wont be a Marvel 4. They'll end up giving NRS a go at the license and then get addicted to profitable fighting games after that. /kappa
I think I just willingly inserted shrapnel into my heart.

It would fail because it'd be compared to MvC/MSH all the time and they just don't have the talent there to make the core gameplay/animations/art as good or better.

Vice

Hawkeye: Everyone digs him. Plus, he's a part of the Avengers and eh provides a unique playtype.

Nova: The Guardian of the Galaxy movie is coming soon. He'll likely be a big part.

Frank West: Dead Rising is still popular.

Phoenix Wright: Popular series and fan favorite.

Edit: For the Dante players, I'm learning his acid rain combos. After the prop shredder I'm having trouble timing the acid rain. Are there any audio cues I can look for?

Azure J

Hawkeye: Everyone digs him. Plus, he's a part of the Avengers and eh provides a unique playtype.

Nova: The Guardian of the Galaxy movie is coming soon. He'll likely be a big part.

Edit: For the Dante players, I'm learning his acid rain combos. After the prop shredder I'm having trouble timing the acid rain. Are there any audio cues I can look for?

It's more about the height you catch the person at when you do Prop Shredder initially. If they're caught deep in Prop Shredder (anywhere from near ground height to Dante's head), you can only get one Acid Rain before you do the j.M/j.H xx Hammer confirm. If you catch them at the apex of Prop, you can loop two reps before doing that confirm. There are other confirms to keep in mind, but I'm guessing that's the one you're learning as it's the most basic of the Acid Rain stuff.

As for characters definitely sticking around going forward:

Dante
Wesker
Viewtiful Joe
Amaterasu
Dormammu
Doctor Strange
Thor

It's also likely that Strider is perma-grandfathered in now after the push to get him into Ultimate and his popularity remaining steady.

smurfx

get some go again
tumblr_mma5k67gbS1r2jscro1_1280.jpg

stolen from manga thread. never seen this pic.

Dahbomb

Dante, Ryu, Chun Li, Akuma, some MM character, some RE character, Morrigan, Frank West (or some DR character).

Magneto, Dr Doom, Wolverine, Deadpool, Captain America, Hulk, Spider Man, Iron Man, Thor.

These are the staples. Beyond this a lot of characters have a great shot of making it in again like Ghost Rider, Strange, Nova, Jill, Wesker, Zero, Hawkeye, Phoenix, Storm, Felicia, Haggar etc.

I think its easier to make a list of characters who may not return:

Trish: I liked her a lot in UMVC3 but she is the least popular of the 5 DMC characters who can actually fight. They can easily swap Lady for her or even Nero.

Nemesis: I think he will be replaced by some other heavy.

Hsien Ko: This is really more Capcom's own fault though.

Taskmaster: With Hawkeye in its difficult to justify his spot on the roster as much as I like him.

Rocket Raccoon: I want to believe that by the time GotG he will be more known and will make it into the roster. Still though he strikes me as obscure for most.

X23 and She Hulk: Character archetype syndrome.

Firebrand: Usually Capcom only brings one character from a really old franchise so its going to be Arthur who makes the cut.

Super Skrull: I love the concept but unless he appears in a movie I can't see him making the cut again. Although I really don't want to see 4 slots wasted on F4 characters.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

In addition to AzureJ's comments, be sure you're tiger kneeing the Acid Rain, if it wasn't already obvious.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Hawkeye should only come back if he's Hawkguy.

hawkguy.jpg

Thor, Hawkeye, Strange, Pool, Dorm are the most likely.

Nova, Ghost Rider, RR, She Hulk are next in line.
Ghost Rider, Marvel recently got the rights back so yeah.

She Hulk has had hints drop form Feige and Ruffalo that she may appear in the MCU.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Thor, Hawkeye, Strange, Pool, Dorm are the most likely.

Nova, Ghost Rider, RR, She Hulk are next in line.
Ghost Rider, Marvel recently got the rights back so yeah.

She Hulk has had hints drop form Feige and Ruffalo that she may appear in the MCU.

Are you exciting about Scarlet Witch's possibility debut in MCU? I wonder if they will make Marvel 4 during Phrase 2 or Phrase 3.

Zissou

So

Spencer/Vergil/Hawkeye or Spencer/Vergil/Frank west and why

Spencer/Vergil have easy ways to level up Frank w/o TAC nonsense, but I think Hawkeye offers a better neutral assist for both (especially Spencer). And on the Frank version, if you level Frank, what do you do? He doesn't have something like jam session for his mix-ups and if he dies because you left him in, your primary assist just died.

FSLink

Banned
Spencer/Vergil have easy ways to level up Frank w/o TAC nonsense, but I think Hawkeye offers a better neutral assist for both (especially Spencer). And on the Frank version, if you level Frank, what do you do? He doesn't have something like jam session for his mix-ups and if he dies because you left him in, your primary assist just died.

Rapid Slash works pretty good for the mix-ups, not as effective as Jam Session, but it's nice. Same with straight grapple assist.

Hawkeye's probably best for that team though. More consistent.

Frantic

I want to announce that I genuinely feel ashamed whenever I play Nova on the account that my Magneto is a million times better. My Nova is terrible. People just picking up the game have better Novas than I do. The only thing my Nova is good at is confirming off Jam Session assist after it bails my ass out of trouble, and even that's not a guarantee. I'm 100% sure I'm the worst Nova in the world. I just can't play him for whatever reason.

Zissou

I want to announce that I genuinely feel ashamed whenever I play Nova on the account that my Magneto is a million times better. My Nova is terrible. People just picking up the game have better Novas than I do. The only thing my Nova is good at is confirming off Jam Session assist after it bails my ass out of trouble, and even that's not a guarantee. I'm 100% sure I'm the worst Nova in the world. I just can't play him for whatever reason.

I felt the same way until I had a Nova epiphany at one point and realized the full potential of YOLO dolphin kick and/or diddy bop.

Quick aside: what's the optimal Trish confirm off of somebody running into her qcb.M trap? I never know what to do in that situation :(

LakeEarth

Boxdash H
Repeat.

You can thank me later.

Are you exciting about Scarlet Witch's possibility debut in MCU? I wonder if they will make Marvel 4 during Phrase 2 or Phrase 3.

tumblr_lv4itrO30Q1qckbr7o7_250.gif

Yeah extremely excited. Can't wait for her and Pietro on the big screen. MvC4 will probably either never happen, happen after Capcom tries "Capcom all stars" or whatever and flops or when Capcom wakes up and realizes that Marvel is now a gold mine.

Frantic

Quick aside: what's the optimal Trish confirm off of somebody running into her qcb.M trap? I never know what to do in that situation :(
If it's just a normal grounded Peekaboo, just go s.LM, cr.H into the normal j.M d.H Hopscotch combo. You could also use s.MH, cr.H if you've got the time for it.

Also, on the subject of box dash j.H with Nova... I do try that, but I somehow never push H at the right times and get bopped. I just can't really 'YOLO' it up.

Box Dash H is realllly good.
Air Dash Forward +H. Call beam/cart
Delay H AirDash for cross up. Call Strider/Strange
Cr M. with beam.
Up/DownDash L When they are in the corner for instant overhead. Call Cart/Beam and either cr M or forward H.
L+S when they super jump, dash under, and OTG combo.
Standing L is almost as good as Mags anti-air.
When in doubt, jump and H. Grabs everything.

JeTmAn81

Cr M. with beam.
Up/DownDash L When they are in the corner for instant overhead. Call Cart/Beam and either cr M or forward H.

I enjoy c.L, F+H for ground strings. Though I think c.L isn't actually a low, so that's not a high, low string. Psych!

Frantic

Cr M. with beam.
See, I know all this. Doesn't help any. My brain just refuses to work when I play Nova. There is something wrong when Level 1 Frank puts in more work than Nova.

On the flip side, I am incredibly proficient at fighting Nova. I can actually tech his throw OS bullshit 80% of the time!

Vice

See, I know all this. Doesn't help any. My brain just refuses to work when I play Nova. There is something wrong when Level 1 Frank puts in more work than Nova.

On the flip side, I am incredibly proficient at fighting Nova. I can actually tech his throw OS bullshit 80% of the time!
Maybe his basics are too basic for you. Incorporate his pulses and centurion rushes into your rush down and zoning. Cent rushes blow up pushblocking and are rather safe when backed by an assist.

Nova is a pretty effective zoner for most of the cast as well if you can set up a gravimetric pulse H. Calling a level 2 or 3 H.pulse and backdashing and leaving a level 1 H.pulse then throwing javelins and calling your assist is one of the most frustrating things you can do against an opponent without a teleport.

The funnest part about Nova for me is how effectively he can switch between zoning out the opponent to rushing them down. It's nealry impossible for a character to get him out of their ass once Nova is in. Or, he can set up a total wall to keep them out if that's what you need at the moment.

Lol, He is a pretty basic/braindead character. I wish I knew how to play Mags. edit; also eff those combos, I just don't understand how you can be so consistent with this character. Also I can't imagine having a character with no OTG move (besides his super) Always block high with Nova and watch his H/overhead/dolphin kick/grab

I wish I new how to use lvl1-3 Frank better. My gameplan: build 2 bars and DHC to level 4-5 frank.

all this nova talk, i need to play this game tonight. i still don't know if i like doom or not after about 75 matches or so; plasma beam is a great assist for nova but i can't get comfortable playing him.

Azure J

Looking in the thread before I say anything and I see a bunch of Murata MVC/Capcom art. You guys are the best. :)

That being said:

if6KTjLdCQNGH.gif

Saw this elsewhere. Haven't stopped laughing.

Grecco

i just like the level up frank nonesense but you are right ill prolly have to learn hawkguy

shaowebb

I think I just willingly inserted shrapnel into my heart.

It would fail because it'd be compared to MvC/MSH all the time and they just don't have the talent there to make the core gameplay/animations/art as good or better.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57699990&postcount=8867

Yeah. Sure...it'd fail. Like any game released under the NRS label has already. ;)

Dude's are making money and their games are competitve enough for EVO's. It'd be played and it'd sell. Folks just dont want it to end, but an NRS Marvel title would be successful on its own. It'd just be a different fighting game than the Marvel vs Series Capcom did is all it'd amount to in the long run. If another Capcom style marvel game is done with the assists and all that I'd rather see Mike Z doing it than Capcom anyways.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57699990&postcount=8867

Yeah. Sure...it'd fail. Like any game released under the NRS label has already. ;)

Dude's are making money and their games are competitve enough for EVO's. It'd be played and it'd sell. Folks just dont want it to end.
Your comparison is leaving out a looooot of variables. UMvC3 was sent to die. Injustice had open season. Better compared to something like MvC3 which had much more similar circumstances to Injustice's release. This was also discussed in the FGW thread the other day, we don't have official numbers yet either, those are estimates.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Those numbers are decent, not godly. About on par with Vanilla MVC3 I would say. The comparison with UMVC3 is dumb.
It's just over half of what MvC3 did in the same timeframe of two weeks from some rough Googling. Plus Capcom shipped 2.2mill in their 6 weeks, I don't see retailer demand being anywhere close to that if Injustice did half of that.

I really expected Injustice to do much better, but I'll wait until we have better numbers.

Top Bottom