• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Eh, I've messed with Injustice twice now. Had some screw around fun, don't know what it's like at high level but I'd probably play it more if I liked DC characters. Doesn't feel as "natural" if you know what I mean, but probably just takes getting used to.

As long as it doesn't look like that cancelled EA marvel fighter and the game itself is decent, I'd give it a whirl. Who knows, might even get a complete story mode out of it :3

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I want to buy Injustice, but not to play it competitively at all. Well, I don't even really play Marvel competitively, but you know what I mean. Want to play it as a casual fighter, mingle in all the singleplayer shit, and it has enough casual friendly stuff like interactables and stage transitions, and easy EXs that my cousins might actually play it with me. I've yet to talk to them about it though. They don't really like Marvel because it's hard to make a team you like and learn multiple characters. It has a lot of value to me as a game I might be able to play with my family. Also considered picking up SFxTK for the same reasons (The 2v2 local MP). Might do so if I find it for $10. I got my threshold for Injustice at $35 after seeing that sale in the US.

NRS will never make a Marvel game just because Marvel is so goddamn freaky about their character representation. Letting a studio that made a DC game touch their characters is like letting a frat boy touch their virgin daughter.

shaowebb

For just over 2 weeks and only counting the units sold in America its good. We dont even know any of the other countries numbers yet. Just using it to point out that if you think Marvel wouldn't sell if NRS followed their formula then you're crazy. It would not be the Marvel of old, but by God they know how to design for profit.

Capcom needs to start taking notes on single player content and how to draw in casual crowd dollars from NRS's playbook.

Marvel got:
  • Arcade mode
  • No unlockable outfits to keep people playing for rewards they could use in game to show their accomplishments with a character. Outfits are better for this than license names period.
  • Unlockable Art. No concepts. Just final drafts.
  • Unlockable movies (goof off
  • Model Viewer.
  • Stage viewer.
  • DLC amounted to one outfit extra per character and two characters...the Marvel one didn't have much draw to comic fans either.
  • Online.
  • Roster that tried to push Marvel's new direction and not a Roster not necessarily meant to push Marvel's most known faces.

Thats not really gonna push to the casuals. Its a fine fighting game for sure, but they'll pretty much beat arcade mode and be out of stuff to go after other than online (which would stomp them and be pretty rough). Which is what they did. Plus the games launched near heavy hitting X-mas titles that included an Assassin's Creed game at one point. At least they didn't launch vanilla in November because that would have been up against Black Ops, but launching a sequel 8 months later? Cmon man that insulted everyone including its fans.

In Ultimate they didn't even setup new endings for everyone and the best new mode for local single player unlocking and fun (Heroes and Heralds) didn't even have local as an option.

It was a dropped ball that was meant entirely to be a tribute to the FGC and thats not where you'll make your money.

What I'm getting at is NRS knows how to appeal and sell to the mass market.
  • Story mode is always a thing and it makes the player become more than casually connected to the cast and the game's world making them become more attached to the game.
  • Tons of unlocks setup in a purchase style system to make players constantly pick and choose their unlocks and constantly go back wondering if that other one they almost picked was going to be something better.
  • Far more art unlocks (one character had 35 images for them ALONE as an unlock showing all concepts)
  • Multiple outfits to unlock in the game for characters as well as DLC ones.
  • Mission Mode filled with one off side missions, mini games, gimmick matches, and unique challenges just to vary the game (not all good, but good for casuals.)
  • 14 various Arcade Mode types and many were unlocks
  • Inputs that don't take any skill to use. Very casual friendly inputs= easier to keep them playing. How many casuals were burned when they picked up Spider man?
  • A "player level" system that gives the player points for playing in ANY mode. Not just online. This isn't like a rank, but to casuals it is because they can brag they are level 99 at this game and since it lets them track a sense of progress (even if their isn't really any happnening). In other words they put in a way to make even the worst casuals gain a sense of accomplishment the longer they played.
  • A roster comprised almost entirely of nothing but big names with the last two characters shown being the least recognizable (Killer Frost/Ares)
  • They made the last months before launch the ENTIRETY of all the real meat on the game so that no one could cool down on any of the information given. Plus they made a good deal of the advertising interactive involving fan votes on "who would win". They even shoved celebrities throughout the buildups to these fan voted matches just to try and draw in more numbers from the fans of those celebrities becoming aware of the game.

If Capcom would do these sorts of gimmicks to make their fighting games have more longevity and appeal to casuals they'd make more money IMO. Especially with all their experience in designing fighters and their reputation, but they dont put enough emphasis on making their fighters appeal to casuals. Like most things Capcom they just put a lot of emphasis in paying tribute to their own history in them. Capcom knows Capcom, but lately they dont know how to make money.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
NRS will never make a Marvel game just because Marvel is so goddamn freaky about their character representation. Letting a studio that made a DC game touch their characters is like letting a frat boy touch their virgin daughter.
I never considered this, but your completely right about this and this is a valid point. NRS' modellers would never get through Marvel's quality control. Marvel Heroes is using the CG models taken straight from Iron Man 3 for instance. Even the crap movie tie-in Marvel games usually have serviceable character models. And we all know how anal they were on stuff in MvC3.

For just over 2 weeks and only counting the units sold in America its good. We dont even know any of the other countries numbers yet. Just using it to point out that if you think Marvel wouldn't sell if NRS followed their formula then you're crazy. It would not be the Marvel of old, but by God they know how to design for profit.

Capcom needs to start taking notes on single player content and how to draw in casual crowd dollars from NRS's playbook.

Marvel got:
  • Arcade mode
  • No unlockable outfits to keep people playing for rewards they could use in game to show their accomplishments with a character. Outfits are better for this than license names period.
  • Unlockable Art. No concepts. Just final drafts.
  • Unlockable movies (goof off
  • Model Viewer.
  • Stage viewer.
  • DLC amounted to one outfit extra per character and two characters...the Marvel one didn't have much draw to comic fans either.
  • Online.
  • Roster that tried to push Marvel's new direction and not a Roster not necessarily meant to push Marvel's most known faces.

Thats not really gonna push to the casuals. Its a fine fighting game for sure, but they'll pretty much beat arcade mode and be out of stuff to go after other than online (which would stomp them and be pretty rough). Which is what they did. Plus the games launched near heavy hitting X-mas titles that included an Assassin's Creed game at one point. At least they didn't launch vanilla in November because that would have been up against Black Ops, but launching a sequel 8 months later? Cmon man that insulted everyone including its fans.

In Ultimate they didn't even setup new endings for everyone and the best new mode for local single player unlocking and fun (Heroes and Heralds) didn't even have local as an option.

It was a dropped ball that was meant entirely to be a tribute to the FGC and thats not where you'll make your money.

What I'm getting at is NRS knows how to appeal and sell to the mass market.
  • Story mode is always a thing and it makes the player become more than casually connected to the cast and the game's world making them become more attached to the game.
  • Tons of unlocks setup in a purchase style system to make players constantly pick and choose their unlocks and constantly go back wondering if that other one they almost picked was going to be something better.
  • Far more art unlocks (one character had 35 images for them ALONE as an unlock showing all concepts)
  • Multiple outfits to unlock in the game for characters as well as DLC ones.
  • Mission Mode filled with one off side missions, mini games, gimmick matches, and unique challenges just to vary the game (not all good, but good for casuals.)
  • 14 various Arcade Mode types and many were unlocks
  • Inputs that don't take any skill to use. Very casual friendly inputs= easier to keep them playing. How many casuals were burned when they picked up Spider man?
  • A "player level" system that gives the player points for playing in ANY mode. Not just online. This isn't like a rank, but to casuals it is because they can brag they are level 99 at this game and since it lets them track a sense of progress (even if their isn't really any happnening). In other words they put in a way to make even the worst casuals gain a sense of accomplishment the longer they played.
  • A roster comprised almost entirely of nothing but big names with the last two characters shown being the least recognizable (Killer Frost/Ares)
  • They made the last months before launch the ENTIRETY of all the real meat on the game so that no one could cool down on any of the information given. Plus they made a good deal of the advertising interactive involving fan votes on "who would win". They even shoved celebrities throughout the buildups to these fan voted matches just to try and draw in more numbers from the fans of those celebrities becoming aware of the game.

If Capcom would do these sorts of gimmicks to make their fighting games have more longevity and appeal to casuals they'd make more money IMO. Especially with all their experience in designing fighters and their reputation, but they dont put enough emphasis on making their fighters appeal to casuals. Like most things Capcom they just put a lot of emphasis in paying tribute to their own history in them. Capcom knows Capcom, but lately they dont know how to make money.
Even Capcom agrees with you with regards to the complaints in this post, that everyone has had about the marketability of Capcom's titles. And Capcom has been on the record in the past and recently about admiring NRS' work and what they bring to the table from a value perspective. It's not even gimmicks, it's just having a solid featuresets in your games, and making sure you promote them right in your trailers.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
But UMvC3 has Mission Mode! AND a story written by some dude at Marvel! :D

:)

:|
I'm pretty sure the actual story mode was scrapped, but I don't think there was any further comment on the matter outside of one small mention, then they shifted their PR talk to "no this [arcade mode] was always our story mode" and never looked back. And that was for MvC3, not UMvC3, but I'm sure you meant vanilla.

shaowebb

I'm pretty sure the actual story mode was scrapped, but I don't think there was any further comment on the matter outside of one small mention, then they shifted their PR talk to "no this [arcade mode] was always our story mode" and never looked back. And that was for MvC3, not UMvC3, but I'm sure you meant vanilla.

I really wanted that story mode too. This would have been a great thing to help sell the game. Heck in Utimate we could have gotten new chapters as well or something. Geez the only possible single player modes added that could have tried to lure in casuals as extra meat to the game (galactus mode :| and HH) didn't even come with the game so they couldn't even be put on the box. They were an update that came later so the casuals couldn't have even tried to be excited in a store for them if they wanted to. Really should have made HH local mode and story a bigger priority.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well WB IS making the Avengers Lego game.

And WB owns NRS and DC.....

So exactly isn't a no go.

But who knows?
This is a special case because it's going through Lego, and this is only possible because of a non-gaming deal with Lego, and nobody else would be making Lego games but TT. A relationship could be built with WB, but their relationship with Capcom is undoubtably stronger. Look at how geeked the Marvel guys were around MvC3 release.

I think it's insanely unlikely we'll see Marvel vs. DC because the companies seem to be in the absolute least need of crossovers (in games and movies) so I don't think they'd sell out right now and would do it when they need to. If we do, it'd require both Marvel and WB to bend over. I see it happening from some neutral dev before I see it from NRS or Capcom. Maybe more likely with NRS than Capcom, but so highly improbable already.

Marvel only fighter? Highly more likely from Capcom than WB.

Maybe AKSYS.

ibz9J8YBqteovv.gif

Marz

I have Injustice. Its ugly, stiff, and slow but it is pretty fun in its own way. The fact that it has DC characters definitely helps it out no way would I play it if it didn't lol.

Nobody but Capcom should make a Marvel fighting game IMO. The only other developers who make amazing 2d fighters are either dead(SNK) or too niche(Arksys).

I'd actually be content to just play this game for the next 5 years or so if it could just get a goddamn patch.

DR2K

Banned

Lego Batman and Lego Avengers say hi.

Dahbomb

FChamp again hinted at a patch today....

In any case today concluded part 4 of the UMVC3 balance suggestion changes (or FChamp said, it should be referred to as potential balance changes). Characters covered were Dante, Magneto, Firebrand, Skrull, Frank West, Viper... Apologyman was there to consult on his characters.

This is off of memory so I am just going to give some general stuff:

Dante

*Improved the hit stun on st.L so that it properly anti airs into st.M
*Drive hella buffed. Better start up and more durability (as much as H version of EMD)
*Multilock buffs discussed but they didn't write anything down, too hard to balance.
*Jam Session as an assist hella nerfed. More start up and more recovery on the assist.

Viper

*Cannot cancel EX moves into EX moves
*Unblockable nerfed by not allowing you to call assists during it
*Magus wanted her damage nerfed but ShadyK/FChamp pulled rank with the "skill" excuse
*Apologyman suggested EX Seismo not being jump cancellable but he got pulled rank on

Magneto

*More recovery added on Magnetic Blasts, basically so that its easier to punish
*Launcher made more punishable
*Gravity Squeeze no longer connects OTGs (big nerf, I can't believe they went through with it)
*The Forcefield H counter buffed a bit, the one that negates projectiles... has a Shockwave follow up to it now

Frank West

*Apologyman asked for a better LVL1 Frank but worse LVL5 Frank but got shot down... they said its part of his gimmick.
*LVL5 Frank does not get health bonus.
*Camera shot on hit is not punishable under certain situations (basically added has a bit better recovery)

Super Skrull

*The bad ass ground stomp does unscaled damage, damage buffed
*His stretchy limb command normals have more hit stun
*Fatal Buster (follow up to Orbital Grudge) is now a standalone move as well

Firebrand

*LVL3 hyper buffed somehow, faster secondary gargoyles so he has more combo potential during it
*Cannot build meter during his install hyper (FGTV thinks no LVL1 install hyper should build meter)
*Unblockable removed or changed
*His Fireball H has more hit stun/soft knockdown.. better for resets/mix ups/meaty set ups
*Damage scaling overall increased just a bit

Frantic

In any case today concluded part 4 of the UMVC3 balance suggestion changes (or FChamp said, it should be referred to as potential balance changes). Characters covered were Dante, Magneto, Firebrand, Skrull, Frank West, Viper... Apologyman was there to consult on his characters.
I'm looking forward to that 12 durability, 25 frame startup, +8 on hit Drive!

FGTV peeps shouldn't be allowed to suggest balance changes for Dante.

shaowebb

Believe it or not, NRS did not make the Lego games. Oh and get this, they're supposed to look like Legos! WILD!

First Marvel wont re-sign with Capcom, then we see Marvel games being made by WB Game studios because their studios have a proven record of pulling profits with comic licenses. Keep ignoring the signs Enzo. Stan Lee is even involved with the Injustice pre-launch Battle Arena and he's incredibly associated with Marvel.

Follow the money is all I'm saying and if Capcom does by a miracle get a MVC4 pray they learn from NRS and their tactics on single player meaty content to make it pull a profit this time around.

WB OWNS both companies. WB being willing to work with Marvel on the Lego Avengers when it helps there comic rival with funds speaks more than anything that they could work together and also questions the Marvel is the bad guy mentality that Capcom has been pushing on fans of MvC.

IF the owner of DC, there lifelong rival, is willing to work with Marvel, why won't Capcom resign since the media guys at Marvel still show love and hype as does comic writers?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First Marvel wont re-sign with Capcom, then we see Marvel games being made by WB Game studios because their studios have a proven record of pulling profits with comic licenses. Keep ignoring the signs Enzo. Stan Lee is even involved with the Injustice pre-launch Battle Arena and he's incredibly associated with Marvel.

Follow the money is all I'm saying and if Capcom does by a miracle get a MVC4 pray they learn from NRS and their tactics on single player meaty content to make it pull a profit this time around.
First off, Marvel wouldn't sign again with Capcom because.. uh, their contract ended? Why did they need to resign with Capcom? Oh right, they didn't. For an UMvC3 patch? Was that warranted? Oh right, sales did not warrant another patch and that probably wasn't in the original agreement, and both Capcom and Marvel are on record saying they're satisfied with what MvC3 is and Capcom doesn't want to saturate the market further. For another game? Oh right, Capcom has no available studios at the moment to even develop a patch let alone another game -IF they're not already making MSH2, which is something to consider as well. Capcom is doing other shit, Marvel is doing other shit, this does not necessarily mean there is bad blood. If anything, it's the opposite from what we know. Sven did not specify if they had a different game contract, only that the MvC3 contract is up. Which is understandable, contracts are complicated and Capcom only thinks 5 years ahead at once so there's no way they signed a multiple game deal for MvC3 when that game was in development for 4 years alone.

Using Marvel signing with WB to do a LEGO game is a meaningless source of evidence and not a sign of anything outside of them making a LEGO game. That's stretching it super hard to try and infer something else is going on. It's not like Capcom is the only studio Marvel licenses out to, they make games with Activision, Ubisoft and many other smaller studios and other publishers for licensed games. One game with WB = OH MY GOD THEY'RE GOING TO CALL WB NEXT DESPITE THEIR HISTORY IN THE GENRE WITH CAPCOM? No. And why are we acting like MvC3 wasn't profitable? All signs point to both MvC3 doing gangbusters and UMvC3 -a meager update with an incredibly short development cycle and yet still doing over half a milli- doing good for Capcom. I don't see a scenario where UMvC3 isn't profitable, AA games break even with those sales and with longer development time and A LOT more put money and resources into them. Capcom just has stupid high expectations (as they must in front of investors). Let's not forget Capcom is still profitable despite all their recent games being considered flops by folks.

Oh and that game is a LEGO game, which I must stress again. Marvel has been selling LEGO toys for a while. LEGO games sell well. Turns out there's only one studio that's licensed to make LEGO games, and that it's owned by WB. Match made in heaven, right? I don't think someone is sitting at Marvel thinking damn, those guys that are known for their DC games should really make a Marvel one! TT is a special case, since they don't deal exclusively with DC properties, and were doing a huge variety of stuff before and after being purchased by WB. Side note: I am fucking ECSTATIC about LEGO Marvel Superheroes, you have no idea.

At the same time, the industry probably isn't as split and taking sides as being argued here. WB isn't necessarily micromanaging what every studio does and shutting out every sign of Marvel, and in no ways do they think themselves a rival when there is money to be made, same goes for Marvel. But it's increasingly unlikely they'd get their studios that are currently working on DC stuff and doing well building franchises would drop that stuff to start over with Marvel; especially if Marvel is currently satisfied with their fighting game offerings and is working on attacking other genres. In an increasingly risk-averse industry, I don't think Rocksteady would drop the Arkham franchise to work on a Marvel equivalent that may flop or come off to consumers as a copycat attempt, despite the brand on the box. Now they have two studios just working on Arkham games. Take that and apply it to a niche-r genre, where WB' current offering is close to half as successful at launch as what they got with their current Capcom franchise? Just a hunch: they might be planning MvC4 instead as we speak; and might even believe that'd do better than a MSH2 because all the brand recognition is still there and they're aware of their failures with EA and Ubisoft when they get anyone other than the genre leader to make their fighting games.

I think we're all in agreement Capcom needs to learn from Namco and NRS, I don't think you'll find a single person in FGC-GAF that disagrees with them needing to learn from all the stuff NRS does to put value into their fighting games. But I don't think that necessarily means Marvel is running to NRS.

Cool Hawkeye combo:

6M+A1(rapid Slash), bomb arrow, H(hold up, one hit) xx Gimlet

Not that good but looks awesome. Better to just do the trap arrow :-( A real Hawkeye would do lvl 1 factor off the bomb arrow, jump up, do trap arrow, land and do standing H into a trap loop to a full combo.

If you start off in x-factor you can link the M arrow rain after rapid slash into a trap arrow straight up instead of using the bomb.

Of my characters
-Nova (useless)
-Rocket Raccoon (I think he'd get hit during the skates start up)
-Frank (pretty good thing to use with his roll)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R1hFWGe61g

Poor Phoenix.

This is off of memory so I am just going to give some general stuff:

Dante

*Improved the hit stun on st.L so that it properly anti airs into st.M
*Drive hella buffed. Better start up and more durability (as much as H version of EMD)
*Multilock buffs discussed but they didn't write anything down, too hard to balance.
*Jam Session as an assist hella nerfed. More start up and more recovery on the assist.

Viper

*Cannot cancel EX moves into EX moves
*Unblockable nerfed by not allowing you to call assists during it
*Magus wanted her damage nerfed but ShadyK/FChamp pulled rank with the "skill" excuse
*Apologyman suggested EX Seismo not being jump cancellable but he got pulled rank on

Magneto

*More recovery added on Magnetic Blasts, basically so that its easier to punish
*Launcher made more punishable
*Gravity Squeeze no longer connects OTGs (big nerf, I can't believe they went through with it)
*The Forcefield H counter buffed a bit, the one that negates projectiles... has a Shockwave follow up to it now

Frank West

*Apologyman asked for a better LVL1 Frank but worse LVL5 Frank but got shot down... they said its part of his gimmick.
*LVL5 Frank does not get health bonus.
*Camera shot on hit is not punishable under certain situations (basically added has a bit better recovery)

Super Skrull

*The bad ass ground stomp does unscaled damage, damage buffed
*His stretchy limb command normals have more hit stun
*Fatal Buster (follow up to Orbital Grudge) is now a standalone move as well

Firebrand

*LVL3 hyper buffed somehow, faster secondary gargoyles so he has more combo potential during it
*Cannot build meter during his install hyper (FGTV thinks no LVL1 install hyper should build meter)
*Unblockable removed or changed
*His Fireball H has more hit stun/soft knockdown.. better for resets/mix ups/meaty set ups
*Damage scaling overall increased just a bit
These people are idiots.

Cool set ups video.

How would you guys buff Firebrand while taking out the unblockable and not remaking the character?
This is what I would do with Firebrand:
1) Remove qcb.S as an input for Fly in the air (useless, never used).

2) qcb.S now makes Firebrand flap his wings to move him up when he's airborne (lets him reach superjump height without superjumping).

3) All qcb inputs put Firebrand in autoflight.

4) All attack inputs auto-cancel flight.

5) Firebrand's wall cling specials do not make him prone until he touches the ground.

6) Aerial qcf.H does not make Firebrand prone until he touches the ground.

7) Hell's Claw (dive kick) auto-corrects after Firebrand crosses up via qcb move inputs.

8) In Luminous Body, Firebrand's fireball increases to 8 durability and roughly doubles in vertical hitbox size. Causes a soft knockdown, somehow enabling special Luminous Body combos.

9) Reduce Chaos Tide to 2 bars of meter. Fix various AI issues with the helper. Make all of its command inputs perform the swoop; remove the other two attacks (worthless).

10) Hell's Claw is special cancelable (cancel into swoops, etc.). Blockstun increased slightly.

11) Firebrand's qcb inputs do not use up his aerial special limitation of 3. Instead, Firebrand receives a limited amount of total flight time between inputs. Let's say he gets 120 frames total; each qcb input uses 10 frames to prevent spamming qcb.S to stay at superjump height.

12) qcf.H has halved startup and recovery time. Locks out pushblock during blockstun. Hitstun increased slightly.

13) Demon Charge H assist changed to qcf.L fireball (becomes buffed with Luminous Body).

14) Demon Charge M assist replaced with grounded Bon Voyage that goes 3/4 screen.

15) Luminous Body recovery reduced to 4 frames (currently it's like 16, so you can't even DHC into it safely).

16) Demon Charge L has follow-up inputs to decide which version of Hell's Elevator Firebrand follows it up with.

17) Demon Charge M...I don't know how to fix this one. Maybe have it cause crumple for a desperation attack and a way to give him raw tag setups.

18) Demon Charge H causes slightly more blockstun.

19) Bon Voyage immune to pushblock (why not? Spencer and Spiderman basically are; it needs something over Buster shot, too).

20) Damage and hitstun increased slightly (500 meterless is the norm for non-Bon Voyage starting combos).

21) Hell's Elevator is special-cancelable.

Keep in mind that Firebrand is in the same health class as Magneto and Zero. He needs to have a lot going for him to justify his health, and right now it's just not there.

Dahbomb

Wow 20 buffs... that's a remake if I ever saw one.

Can I have 20 buffs on Iron Man? Because he gets overshadowed by Magneto and Doom while having less health than Doom.

Cool set ups video.

How would you guys buff Firebrand while taking out the unblockable and not remaking the character?

• Hover startup reduced by 15 to 15 frames and active frames increased from 90 to 120
  • Hell Dive startup reduced from 15 to 5 frames
  • Hell Dive H moves up and back rather than down and back
  • Hell's elevator is special cancelable
  • Charged Demon Missile H destroys low durability projectiles, is special cancelable during active frames

KRA KAW

Wow 20 buffs... that's a remake if I ever saw one.

Can I have 20 buffs on Iron Man? Because he gets overshadowed by Magneto and Doom while having less health than Doom.
Are you removing the ability to 300% teams from Iron Man? No?

Firebrand's unblockable is the entire reason to pick him. It would be like if I told you to get rid of Iron Man's Unibeam. You would have a lot to make up for.

You can't change out the ability to down entire teams and replace it with some herpa-derpa halfwit buff like "does slightly more damage" like FGTV wants to. Most of my changes are just making Firebrand's abilities worth using. Right now all you do with Firebrand is superjump into Bon Voyage or qcb.M x H over and over because his moveset is ass. I'd go so far as to call most of what I proposed a design fix, just like many of Dormammu's buffs were.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57760226]
  • Hover startup reduced by 15 to 15 frames and active frames increased from 90 to 120
  • Hell Dive startup reduced from 15 to 5 frames
  • Hell Dive H moves up and back rather than down and back
  • Hell's elevator is special cancelable
  • Charged Demon Missile H destroys low durability projectiles, is special cancelable during active frames

KRA KAW[/QUOTE]
LOL, this is far more outrageous than anything I proposed. Demon Missile H cancelable during its active frames = endless pressure.

Edit: Hell's Elevator should be special cancelable, though - I forgot that one. Let me edit it in. :)

Dahbomb

Are you removing the ability to 300% teams from Iron Man? No?

Firebrand's unblockable is the entire reason to pick him. It would be like if I told you to get rid of Iron Man's Unibeam. You would have a lot to make up for.
See here's the thing though... Firebrand ACTUALLY has a reason to be picked in the meta game... Iron Man even with Unibeam has no reason to be picked over a Doom with Plasma Beam which gives you combo breaking ability. I could provide Iron Man with 20 buffs and he would still barely be better than the current Magneto + Doom combo.

If you have a problem with characters in Firebrand's health category being better than him then make him 950K. This is why I don't buy into this whole health vs tools non sense... I mean it just makes no sense. By this notion we should be buffing Akuma to godlike levels because in his health category he is garbage.

Firebrand was balanced around his unblockables.

IM does need buffs, but his are more of minor changes. And the changes need to focus more on making him his own character. AKA fix his hitoboxes and frame advantage.

See here's the thing though... Firebrand ACTUALLY has a reason to be picked in the meta game... Iron Man even with Unibeam has no reason to be picked over a Doom with Plasma Beam which gives you combo breaking ability.

If you have a problem with characters in Firebrand's health category being better than him then make him 950K. This is why I don't buy into this whole health vs tools non sense... I mean it just makes no sense. By this notion we should be buffing Akuma to godlike levels because in his health category he is garbage.
Akuma has a fantastic moveset, and he totally fits in the same health category as Strider with his options and damage output.

No, there is no reason to pick Firebrand. Like I said, he's just an inferior version of Zero. Zero's incoming mix-ups might as well be unblockable, and he kills on a touch with better approach, mix-up, and pressure options. Zero isn't even good enough to win tournaments, either!

Iron Man has better DHC options than Doom, BTW, and Unibeam leaves opponents standing, which is important for certain characters, like Captain America. There are definitely reasons to pick him over Doom.

However, none of this has anything to do with what Firebrand needs to make up for losing his unblockable. You are changing the topic. If you want to give Iron Man 20 buffs, go for it. I would love to see a completely remade Iron Man, personally. I would give Iron Man 20 buffs easily without even hesitating, because that's what he needs to be a good pick. Just like Firebrand if you remove his gimmick.

To be fair everyone else in the 750 health category is garbage relative to their health. And they're all anchors so their health doesn't even really matter.

Then IDK what to tell you. Cause if he was changed anymore he would just be a magneto clone. And I know a lot of people want his combos made easier, so more hitstun?

His playstyle either has to focus on frame traps and pokes or focus on zoning. Majority of IM players want him to be Magneto.

Azure J

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57761540]To be fair everyone else in the 750 health category is garbage relative to their health. And they're all anchors so their health doesn't even really matter.[/QUOTE]

...is this guy insinuating that Strider's bad or am I reading it wrong?

Top Bottom