• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Randomly encountered (Domino's)Stone several times in ranked(my first time playing ranked in like 6 months). The amount of mixups Zero can throw at you in the span of five seconds is nuts(even without Jam Session). Even though I lost all but one game, I am still proud to say I blocked most of his mixups. I got hit more by the no-mixup mixups(jump, airdash, PIZZA CUTTER nooooooooo) than the set ups(H Lightning > Buster > L Lightning > Dash Under cr.M? Psh).

I really need to stop getting hit by buttons after mixups. It's kinda embarrassing when I block a dozen mixups, then run into a normal as if I were saying "I wasn't supposed to block those? Sorry, here you go."
Zero is a case of not really knowing when you can finally do something. When you block him, it's so long before the pressure ends...

LakeEarth

Zero is a case of not really knowing when you can finally do something. When you block him, it's so long before the pressure ends...

All I know is that there is a gap between air buster and df lightning that you can take advantage of. Other than that, I just try to get away from him so I can start zoning/chipping him out again.

Azure J

I should be playing more GAFfers and making the most of this Live I got gifted, but man with the Skullgirls patch out, I now know how hard it is to juggle two different fighters. :lol

Frantic

Been playing Trish on point since I have been somewhat neglecting my Trish play, and my movement is definitely a lot better with her now. Biggest thing I need to work on is forcing mixups off a lockdown assist. I'm pretty bad at forcing people to block Weasel Shot, and then hitting multiple mixups. Also really bad at landing IOHs.

Still, I know the perfect height to land tridash j.L, so there is that. It's a nice poke to have in the arsenal.

I should be playing more GAFfers and making the most of this Live I got gifted, but man with the Skullgirls patch out, I now know how hard it is to juggle two different fighters. :lol
Why I only play Marvel. Especially since I'm the sort of person who's stubborn and wants to be the best I can be in any given thing. Juggling multiple fighting games would definitely have an impact on how well I can play any of them.

I would if XBL didn't cost money.
Making an XBL account gives you a month free, at least! :p
Well, up to three accounts per console, anyways.

Azure J

Why I only play Marvel. Especially since I'm the sort of person who's stubborn and wants to be the best I can be in any given thing. Juggling multiple fighting games would definitely have an impact on how well I can play any of them.

Oh man, you really are Texan me huh?

fader

Holy shit Thor seems like a cool character. I was just messing around in the lab with him and I think I might just use him....

Alright kiddos. I'm drunk, I just busted my stick, and I'm ready to play, any system. Never played on a PS3 controller by the way......or a 360 controller for that matter. I think I still got this though. I apologize if I send you vulgar messages. I will also be drunk tomorrow most likely.....

I also hope that new PS3 update doesn't fuck my console, cause I've heard that it does.

EDIT: The fuck? I have played on a 360 controller.....I was hitting the booze mighty hard.

Solune

I honestly had no idea I was playing different people. Do you guys all use the same team? I would figure you used the Chris team.
His main team is actually team scrub aka team OMGitzAndre, he seems to like Team Fchamp or Team Brotherhood. You can hit him up, his handle is MrDoCut. Ahh I've dropped Chris but he was using some makeshift team against you and I played a few matches.

I was feeling Dante/Mags/Sent but Nova/Dante/Strider is better, at least for me I feel. I'm really in a weird situation where I don't play my "main" team anymore and just play various shells.
Anyone want to play in about 10-15 min?

Sorry kevo, I wasn't actually on the PS3 when you sent that message last night. My family friends have all gone home to Edmonton, just got back from dropping them off at the airport. We'll play next time.

So I'm learning RR to have a Spencer/RR/Doom team, and so far I'm really liking the synergy between the characters... but RR has horrible combos.

Are there any good basic RR guides with combos? I'd rather not have to wade through the dreadful SRK forum for info.

Frantic

You know what is salt inducing? Trying to pressure someone with an assist, having the person raw tag into Vergil, get both point and assist hit, then Vergil comboing both of them.

I didn't even know Vergil could combo off a raw tag when the characters were grounded.

Edit: Switched from Weasel Shot to Jam Session for Trish, and damn is it good. Annoying when they block it in the air since I can't mix them up, but I've kinda found a sweet spot where I can hit them with a high/low and left/right as they land from the knockback. The fact Trish's tridash j.L can cross up is beyond dumb lol. Box dashing around with j.L > j.S is pretty funny too.

Just wish Trish could convert off super jump height Jam Session hits. Hey Capcom, give Trish Stinger, Helm Breaker and High Time! :p

Zissou

You know what is salt inducing? Trying to pressure someone with an assist, having the person raw tag into Vergil, get both point and assist hit, then Vergil comboing both of them.

I didn't even know Vergil could combo off a raw tag when the characters were grounded.

Edit: Switched from Weasel Shot to Jam Session for Trish, and damn is it good. Annoying when they block it in the air since I can't mix them up, but I've kinda found a sweet spot where I can hit them with a high/low and left/right as they land from the knockback. The fact Trish's tridash j.L can cross up is beyond dumb lol. Box dashing around with j.L > j.S is pretty funny too.

Just wish Trish could convert off super jump height Jam Session hits. Hey Capcom, give Trish Stinger, Helm Breaker and High Time! :p

I know that feel... my friend has been practicing raw tag combos. I swear that's some of the stupidest shit in the game- it's like all of a sudden, every character magically gets a ghetto high/low mix-up, haha.

Jam session is too good. I finally switched away from weasel shot and haven't looked back. If weasel shot had more than 4 durability points, I might reconsider though. I feel like that was where it let me down as opposed to a lockdown assist like cold star, where even if you call it and they don't get hit by it, it can turn the tide a bit in a zoning war.

fader

Level 3 Vergil is why I play this game off and on.... I love Vergil but I DESPISE Level 3 Vergil.

After I loose to Level 3 Vergil, I feel like I was cheated... Is this normal?

I just learned that Dormammu can swap sides during a corner left/right TAC - yay!

Level 3 Vergil is why I play this game off and on.... I love Vergil but I DESPISE Level 3 Vergil.

After I loose to Level 3 Vergil, I feel like I was cheated... Is this normal?
Vergil's weakness is that he has no aerial mobility. You need to snap him in and take him out early. This has the bonus of disrupting your opponent's team structure. For example, this is a common team thanks to PR Balrog:

Wolverine
Dr. Doom
Vergil

If you fight the team in order, it's monstrous. However, if you snap Wolverine out for Vergil, now you fight them in this order:

Vergil
Dr. Doom
Wolverine

That's not nearly as bad, since your opponent won't want to blow XF1 on Vergil. Take him out, and then you have to fight Doom unsupported. Then it's just about surviving XF3 + Berserker Charge Wolverine, which most players can't use well anyway because it's so fast.

One of the things I love best about VJoe is how well he can run away from XF3 Wolverine and Doom. Vergil...not so much. Although I usually just try to zone him out anyways and look for the unsupported teleport behind me.

But you'd have time to confirm that he was doing rapid slash and cancel into hyper before he actually hit you, no?
I was thinking more like mash dodge when Vergil is attacking, and as soon as it goes off Mach Speed in the proper direction. That move has a ton of invincibility. One match, Beef moved through like half the screen throwing punches while a Stalking Flare was sitting on his butt doing nothing. Scared the crap out of me.

I was thinking more like mash dodge when Vergil is attacking, and as soon as it goes off Mach Speed in the proper direction. That move has a ton of invincibility. One match, Beef moved through like half the screen throwing punches while a Stalking Flare was sitting on his butt doing nothing. Scared the crap out of me.

My favorite one was using Mach Speed to get close to you while you were using Chaotic Flame and then THCing into Frank for the hit.

My favorite one was using Mach Speed to get close to you while you were using Chaotic Flame and then THCing into Frank for the hit.
So much invincibility!

Luminous Body can't even be DHCed to safely. It has a massive 11 recovery frames.

Karst I'm about to start playing shuma...any advice? Good partners, etc?
His best assists are things that cover his approach via Mystic Smash, since it's his only non-crap move.

Best approach assists:
Aim Master L
Bolts of Balthakk
Double Spitfire

Best pin assist:
Cold Star

Remember that you can play a bit of a ranged game with Mystic Ray H and Mystic Stare H. It's not great, but it's decent. c.M is your best ranged normal. c.H is your best anti-air. Never forget that you have an instant overhead via TKed Mystic Smash L, a low, and a command grab that leads to full combos. Mystic Smash M is a great mobility tool for getting in, but it has a ridiculously small hitbox. Luckily, most people don't know that. Don't hesitate to use it to get away from a bad situation, either.

Sigmaah

Wesker(Gun)/Skrull(Stone)/Hawkeye(Quick)
Or
Wesker(Gun)/Hawkeye(Quick)/Skrull(Stone)

I like the first one but I dunno how I feel about anchor Hawkeye.

PtM17nC.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't think NRS would add him.
They're clearly big enough fans to include influences from MvC everywhere, including the horizontal foot dive down to the pose. Too bad they'll only be stuck with the inferior IP to copy moves onto for the foreseeable future :(

I'm fairly certain that since my team just effectively (i.e. without FChamp choking hard with Dark Phoenix and one character left to kill) beat ChrisG 3-0, I am the newly crowned theoryfighting champion here. ;-D

Edit: Goddamn, AND I called Flocker to be the ChrisG killer. Put another gem on my crown!

The new 5 gods:
ChrisG
Justin Wong
PR Balrog
Flocker
FChamp

I'm fairly certain that since my team just effectively (i.e. without FChamp choking hard with Dark Phoenix and one character left to kill) beat ChrisG 3-0, I am the newly crowned theoryfighting champion here. ;-D

Edit: Goddamn, AND I called Flocker to be the ChrisG killer. Put another gem on my crown!

The new 5 gods:
ChrisG
Justin Wong
PR Balrog
Flocker
FChamp

There's only one god and the rest are demigods. Also it's too soon to consider flocker as a demigod.

There's only one god and the rest are demigods. Also it's too soon to consider flocker as a demigod.
No way. Flocker gets top 2 at every single major he attends in Ultimate. He's just not in the spotlight because every single tournament he attends the grand finals is him vs. ChrisG, and he always loses. Getting to the GF consistently is enough to give him strong consideration, and this tournament confirms it.

Dahbomb

Flocker was always #6 though. Top 8 EVO finish, multiple top 3 finishes in UMVC3 (losing mostly to ChrisG). Yipes dropping opened up a spot and Flocker fits in the spot nicely.

I think if Flocker wins one more major he is definitely at least demi-god tier. Its a shame he doesn't travel as much to tournaments because he would have more wins under his belt.

Zero is the best character in the game. Get at me fanboys!

Sigmaah

Flocker was always #6 though. Top 8 EVO finish, multiple top 3 finishes in UMVC3 (losing mostly to ChrisG). Yipes dropping opened up a spot and Flocker fits in the spot nicely.

I think if Flocker wins one more major he is definitely at least demi-god tier. Its a shame he doesn't travel as much to tournaments because he would have more wins under his belt.

Zero is the best character in the game. Get at me fanboys!

Vergil is though, GET AT ME DAWG.

Top Bottom