• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Marz

Hey guys what kind of damage and bnb should I be doing with magneto? Right now I can get 500k off a throw and 750k off a clean hit with one bar.

Bnb I'm doing right now is lmhs>sjH>addf>H>dash>S>H>adf>H>reverse fly input>LH>Hx4>one hyper grav loop>tempest.Doesnt go completely full screen but it goes most of the way.

If you go for crouching normals the entire way through, you'll duck under bolts. They're active, but not that active. Only time you'll ever get hit by bolts is if you stand up for your strings. Admittedly, not every character can do it, but a lot of them certainly can.
Entirely true.

Epic moment today at locals:
I was 2-1 against someone, and it was just down to Dormammu and Rocket Raccoon. RR had XF3 activated, but I had 5 bars of meter and he had none. I saw my opponent tap down once for a raw teleport, so I quickly input Dark Dimension to try and catch him. It actually worked, and he said "That's so fucking stupid." I had a "oh fuck yeah go me!" moment, and then...

It turned out that Dark Dimension grabbed Rocket Raccoon from behind, so RR got placed to my LEFT side instead of my right one. I didn't notice until I tried to Purification into Chaotic Flame, and Mass Changed instead. -_- I lost.

So we were 2-2. The last match I lost by a sliver of life during a time out, but I wasn't upset. Pumped for UFGT9. Locals were packed, and it was super hot in the building.

Dahbomb

Nova throw's game:

Grab someone, taunt, whiff a few normals, go grab a coffee, raw tag in another character, get full unscaled damage.

Zissou

I find Strider to be the easiest of the dark anchor trio to deal with. He's the only one you can kill somewhat consistently as an assist :D

Bizazedo

GGs last night Sigmaah and Smurf. I think I am slowly breaking away from WoW and Diablo so that I stop doing one night every 3 months.

Skills have degraded SO badly, but last night actually was fun. Also made me think :(.

Karst, how'd Nova / Dorm / Ammy or Morrigan do? Or some combination thereof?

JeTmAn81

Went 5-30 against an Ammy/Morrigan/Phoenix player last night. That was...fun. Actually, it was. Most of the time I lost to Dark Phoenix. I just couldn't stop him from building up meter insanely quickly. Why on earth is Dark Harmonizer so hard to punish? I have to think that would get nerfed in the event of the mythical Marvel patch. It makes no sense.

onionfrog

Real talk: I wish marvel had gotten the sort of post release DLC treatment that Injustice is getting right now.
I'd even accept them whoring out costume DLC ala SSF4.
The dream is dead...

LakeEarth

Went 5-30 against an Ammy/Morrigan/Phoenix player last night. That was...fun. Actually, it was. Most of the time I lost to Dark Phoenix. I just couldn't stop him from building up meter insanely quickly. Why on earth is Dark Harmonizer so hard to punish? I have to think that would get nerfed in the event of the mythical Marvel patch. It makes no sense.

Yeah, why does she get to stand there being all invulnerable while Frank and Ammy are vulnerable for the majority of the animation?

onionfrog

Yeah, why does she get to stand there being all invulnerable while Frank and Ammy are vulnerable for the majority of the animation?
Let Frank and Ammy stand there and be invulerable too! I'd rather all the meter building assists be useful instead of just Morrigan's.

LakeEarth

Let Frank and Ammy stand there and be invulerable too! I'd rather all the meter building assists be useful instead of just Morrigan's.

I'm totally cool with that. I just don't get why one gets it and the other two don't. I'd get it if all of that characters assists were shitty (on purpose), but that's not the case for both Frank and Ammy.

GGs last night Sigmaah and Smurf. I think I am slowly breaking away from WoW and Diablo so that I stop doing one night every 3 months.

Skills have degraded SO badly, but last night actually was fun. Also made me think :(.

I can maybe see Morrigan/Dormammu/Nova working, but nothing else. Nova would need to be on his Gravimetric Pulse assist to help with keepaway. Otherwise I'm not seeing it. The big problem is that none of those characters have assists that hit beyond mid-range except for Soul Fist assist, and that's pretty terrible to rely upon.

Vice

Nova and Morrigan do nothing for each other. Nova wants a full screen beam or arrow assist or something to help with lockdown which Morrigan lacks. Morrigan wants help with spacing or lockdown and Nova doesn't provide that.

Pulse assist is out for awhile and leaves Nova vulnerable. His other assists don't do much for Morrigan

Harmonizer is good for extra meter but Nova isn't a character who needs a lot of meter in the first place. Dorrm/Morrigan/Ammy or Nova/Dorm/Ammy could work.

Dahbomb

The Morrigan meter building assist is fine, you are giving up a neutral assist for meter. In a mythical Marvel patch, meter building assist would really be the main thing keeping Phoenix viable anyway.

Its the other two assists that need to be better. They are redundant and there is no reason to pick meter building assist over Cart/Cold Shots. I guess someone can try a gimmick Morrigan team with Ammy meter building assist.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

She's teasing her opponent. You want to touch her, but you can't! I have to admit, I think that the only time I've ever seen a happy birthday off of Dark Harmonizer was that set with Filipino Champ v. Chris G.

The Morrigan meter building assist is fine, you are giving up a neutral assist for meter. In a mythical Marvel patch, meter building assist would really be the main thing keeping Phoenix viable anyway.

But you're not giving up a neutral assist because Morrigan doesn't have one. If you're ONLY using Morrigan for her meter assist, then I suppose... but you have another assist anyway.

Phoenix is plenty viable without meter assists. She just had bad matchups like most others.

Locals were packed, and it was super hot in the building.

Yea lots of machine's running with lots of people doesn't help at all. Be wary though. Watch out for those people who sweat a lot. I swear I lost a match one time because the nice guy I was playing against wanted to shake my hand before the start of the match and he was really sweaty. My fingers kept sliding all over my pad. Kept trying to dry them off against my pants but to no avail. Dirty tactics.

Dahbomb

Phoenix is plenty viable without meter assists. She just had bad matchups like most others.
She is viable right now because of TAC infinites which allow you to easily build 5 meters. In a mythical patch, Phoenix would become even worse because you can no longer rely on TACs to build meter. Its a double edged sword because on one end you probably won't have to deal with TAC glitches to dupe the Phoenix out of DP activation but at the same time you won't have Mag to Doom 5 bar building TAC infinite combos.

Marz

She is viable right now because of TAC infinites which allow you to easily build 5 meters. In a mythical patch, Phoenix would become even worse because you can no longer rely on TACs to build meter. Its a double edged sword because on one end you probably won't have to deal with TAC glitches to dupe the Phoenix out of DP activation but at the same time you won't have Mag to Doom 5 bar building TAC infinite combos.

Dumb thing to say really. In a mythical patch Phoenix might get some mythical buffs and other things would change so nobody knows what would happen hypothetically.

Dahbomb

I know I know... she might get buffed like getting the ability to activate DP on command. But I was making the assumption that TACs would change (which is an obvious change that everyone wants) but Phoenix would stay the same. Like in the current game... if all that changed was TAC infinites/loops/long combos were removed, Phoenix would drop down a few spots in the tier list.

Solune

If you're free tomorrow night Mango I'll play you.
---
@Karst, how do you feel about these configs

Firebrand / Dorm / Akuma (tatsu)
Wolverine + Dorm?
---
Is there some type of bug where the game does not pushblock Vortex or Thunderbolt?

Zissou

---

Wolverine + Dorm?
---
Is there some type of bug where the game does not pushblock Vortex or Thunderbolt?

I believe it's intentional that certain moves including vortex and thunderbolt are unaffected by pushblock.

---

Wolverine + Dorm?
---
Vortex and Thunderbolt lock out Advancing Guard from being used. It's a special feature of theirs that does not get abused enough. That's why Dante/Morrigan can be really scary at high execution levels. Vortex is like +10 on block with no AG, and Morrigan can keep Devil Trigger up permanently.

Akuma is solid for Firebrand, but offers almost nothing for Dormammu. The composition gets rocked kind of hard by zoning, because Firebrand can't cover 3/4 of the screen safely in the blink of an eye like Wolverine can while maintaining frame advantage (Luminous Body sucks, which is why it lets you still build meter!).

Wolverine/Dormammu has so-so synergy. Wolverine can let Dormammu relaunch anywhere with some finickiness. Dormammu lets Wolverine OTG from throws with some finickiness. Wolverine can set up Stalking Flare DHCs well, and in certain positions Dark Hole can let him combo off of Berserker Slash.

Angelic uses Wolverine/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath and does pretty well.

Zissou

Vortex and Thunderbolt lock out Advancing Guard from being used. It's a special feature of theirs that does not get abused enough.

Akuma is solid for Firebrand, but offers almost nothing for Dormammu. The composition gets rocked kind of hard by zoning, because Firebrand can't cover 3/4 of the screen safely in the blink of an eye like Wolverine can while maintaining frame advantage (Luminous Body sucks, which is why it lets you still build meter!).

Wolverine/Dormammu has so-so synergy. Wolverine can let Dormammu relaunch anywhere with some finickiness. Dormammu lets Wolverine OTG from throws with some finickiness. Wolverine can set up Stalking Flare DHCs well, and in certain positions Dark Hole can let him combo off of Berserker Slash.

Why is akuma such a bad partner for Dorm? I'd always assumed he'd like any high priority gtfo assist that pushes the opponent away (and the projectile nullification is an added bonus). DHC to akuma beam from chaotic flame really makes assist punishing scarier too (as if it wasn't bad enough already). I assume you get teleport mix-ups too (though not full screen, of course).

Dahbomb

Yea its definitely a design choice that certain moves negate/ignore push block. Stuff like Repulsar Blast, Storm's Lightning Sphere and Hsien Ko's Pendulum. Would be nice to have a list of them all.

Why is akuma such a bad partner for Dorm? I'd always assumed he'd like any high priority gtfo assist that pushes the opponent away (and the projectile nullification is an added bonus). DHC to akuma beam from chaotic flame really makes assist punishing scarier too (as if it wasn't bad enough already). I assume you get teleport mix-ups too (though not full screen, of course).
I wouldn't call him bad, just that he can't be Dormammu's primary assist. He's kind of like Amaterasu in that sense.

He's not a high priority GTFO assist because Dormammu is not Wolverine. Akuma works for Wolverine because Wolverine has his own crazy pressure, and Akuma just shows up to make it safe because people are terrified of Wolverine. Dormammu is the opposite - people go in on him recklessly because he is so weak up close. The result is that the tatsu tends to get bopped instead of saving Dormammu.

Chaotic Flame to Messatsu Gohado Ungyo is definitely good.

With the HSD nerf on assists, Akuma's tatsu no longer allows Dormammu to extend combos outside of corners (this change was not thought through well).

The tatsu can only get you teleport mix-ups on incoming, reasonably. This is because Dormammu needs to be very close to his opponent to create a mix-up with the tatsu, but Dormammu only moves around via superjumps. So you need to superjump in toward your opponent and land, call the tatsu and then teleport. You're usually pushblocked, though, so this never happens. You can't call the tatsu assist during your approach, so it kind of ends up never actually being useful except as a prayer call for space which tends to get Akuma hit.

It also does not help Dormammu at all with any of his bad matchups (Dante and Vergil do not give a crap about a tatsu-backed Dormammu, Helm Breaker will hit both).

Zissou

I must either have terrible luck or use characters with stubby normals, because Akuma tatsu assist stuffs my buttons a good chunk of the time. My friend plays a Dorm team with Akuma as his anchor and it's a pain in the ass to deal with (or maybe I just suck, haha). It doesn't help that a lot of characters I use do somewhat poorly against Dorm.

Solune

I believe it's intentional that certain moves including vortex and thunderbolt are unaffected by pushblock.

Yea its definitely a design choice that certain moves negate/ignore push block. Stuff like Repulsar Blast, Storm's Lightning Sphere and Hsien Ko's Pendulum. Would be nice to have a list of them all.

What I meant was that, when I set the CPU to All Guard + Advancing Guard [On] , the CPU does not pushblock them at all.

Vortex and Thunderbolt lock out Advancing Guard from being used. It's a special feature of theirs that does not get abused enough. That's why Dante/Morrigan can be really scary at high execution levels. Vortex is like +10 on block with no AG, and Morrigan can keep Devil Trigger up permanently.
This seems to be the answer though. I thought that it just ignored pushblock completely.

Thanks for your input, still in my team experimentation phase again.

I must either have terrible luck or use characters with stubby normals, because Akuma tatsu assist stuffs my buttons a good chunk of the time. My friend plays a Dorm team with Akuma as his anchor and it's a pain in the ass to deal with (or maybe I just suck, haha). It doesn't help that a lot of characters I use do somewhat poorly against Dorm.
If I trip across a copy of the 360 version of Marvel along with some XBL time, I'll play you and let you know. ;-)

Who are you losing to Dormammu/Akuma with?

Thanks for your input, still in my team experimentation phase again.
Think about Dormammu? :-O

IMO there are really only 4 assists you should consider for Dormammu as a primary assist:
1) Hidden Missiles
2) Plasma Beam
3) EMD
4) Mystic Ray

Anything else is too limiting. Notice that all 4 of these assists are both projectiles and appear behind Dormammu, giving them some "get off me" capacity while also protecting Dormammu from teleports to some degree. Past this point, you need to combine two so-so assists for Dormammu to succeed (Double Lariat + Unibeam, etc.). I've downgraded Jam Session recently, though it's still a top 10 assist for him. I can't decide on a #5 for Dormammu - nothing else stands out like these 4.

Vice

Is it possible for a character to block during a throw tech animation?

Well, lets start one. All of Nova'srocket punches and centurion rushes ignore pushblock

SmokeMaxX

I think we should be able to pushblock Doom's Photon Array. His incoming mixup with missiles and Photon Array is only dumb because even we pushblock he doesn't move at all. Although I'd rather have non-pushblockable Photon Array than foot dive crossing up...

Zissou

If I trip across a copy of the 360 version of Marvel along with some XBL time, I'll play you and let you know. ;-)

Who are you losing to Dormammu/Akuma with?

I actually still win more than I lose, but I have a lot of difficulty with my Trish/Task/Doom team. I have to go all-in with Trish and hope it works out. He just plays so nutty with Dorm and doesn't zone enough- if I did, I think the tide would change very quickly.

I rarely play my main Doom/Dante/Strider team against that team, just because the Dorm team isn't his main team either, but aside from Doom being bad against Dorm, I think that team would do fine.

Well, lets start one. All of Nova'srocket punches and centurion rushes ignore pushblock

Kitty's little helper hits ignore pushblock.

I actually still win more than I lose, but I have a lot of difficulty with my Trish/Task/Doom team. I have to go all-in with Trish and hope it works out. He just plays so nutty with Dorm and doesn't zone enough- if I did, I think the tide would change very quickly.

I rarely play my main Doom/Dante/Strider team against that team, just because the Dorm team isn't his main team either, but aside from Doom being bad against Dorm, I think that team would do fine.
Doom + Strider does fine against Dormammu. It's really only assist-less Doom that gets rocked hard. Butter gun + assist is solid against him. Your Trish/Taskmaster/Doom team has 3 characters with absolutely no answer to Stalking Flare. Be glad he doesn't use Morrigan - he would be able to chip your entire team out.

Solune

Think about Dormammu? :-O

IMO there are really only 4 assists you should consider for Dormammu as a primary assist:
1) Hidden Missiles - That means playing Doom, bleh
2) Plasma Beam - Same as above
3) EMD - My Magneto is really bad
4) Mystic Ray - My Shuma is really bad + I like him better with Vergil

Anything else is too limiting. Notice that all 4 of these assists are both projectiles and appear behind Dormammu, giving them some "get off me" capacity while also protecting Dormammu from teleports to some degree. Past this point, you need to combine two so-so assists for Dormammu to succeed (Double Lariat + Unibeam, etc.). I've downgraded Jam Session recently, though it's still a top 10 assist for him. I can't decide on a #5 for Dormammu - nothing else stands out like these 4.

Mmn i like that Dormammu compliments alot of teams, I'm not necessarily thinking of making a team centered around Dorm, rather I'd like a different type of rush down team than Spencer/x/x or Vergil /x/x and with access to Dorm's utility.

Maybe Morrigan/Dormammu/Doom (Missiles) =O.

Mmn i like that Dormammu compliments alot of teams, I'm not necessarily thinking of making a team centered around Dorm, rather I'd like a different type of rush down team than Spencer/x/x or Vergil /x/x and with access to Dorm's utility.

Maybe Morrigan/Dormammu/Doom (Missiles) =O.
Yeah, I don't really care for any of the characters Dormammu relies on, either. :-( POS Shuma-Gorath!

I don't think Dormammu compliments a lot of teams. He's basically C. Viper levels of selfishness, but he's second on the team. He's sort of a "point" character that can't start on point.

What?! Dark Harmonzier is already a highly situational assist. You're completely giving up a presence in the neutral to gain 1/3 of a bar of meter. That means you're giving up Hidden Missiles protecting you, Plasma Beam clearing the screen, Vajra clearing the skies, etc. There's a huge opportunity cost involved.

Indeed.

onionfrog

It's one of the few things she's got going for her besides the gold armor assist.

RE: Meter Building Assists.
Indeed.
I would love if other characters had good meter building assists. I really want to try a gimmicky point Felicia with constant kitty helper team, but Morrigan is one of those characters that I'm so bad with that I don't even try to play as her.

Frantic

I'm pretty sure Lightning Bolt and Vortex are the only special moves that actually completely remove the ability to pushblock. Other moves that 'negate' pushblock still allow you to pushblock and at least reduce the amount of chip taken, but Lightning Bolt and Vortex don't even allow that.

JeTmAn81

What?! Dark Harmonzier is already a highly situational assist. You're completely giving up a presence in the neutral to gain 1/3 of a bar of meter. That means you're giving up Hidden Missiles protecting you, Plasma Beam clearing the screen, Vajra clearing the skies, etc. There's a huge opportunity cost involved.

Blah, the truth is I just sucked at getting a hit on his Ammy (played on point). But it was frustrating to play someone who had an obvious game plan that I couldn't do much about. He'd call her right at the beginning of the round and I still had a hard time getting a real punish.

Blah, the truth is I just sucked at getting a hit on his Ammy (played on point). But it was frustrating to play someone who had an obvious game plan that I couldn't do much about. He'd call her right at the beginning of the round and I still had a hard time getting a real punish.
What was his general strategy? Dante is the character that really frustrates my Dormammu/Morrigan combination, so I imagine that Ammy/Morrigan doesn't have it much better.

The only way to semi-reliably catch Dark Harmonizer is to use high priority multi-hit moves. So, in Dante's case, lots of Reverb Shock. Though you'll need to snap Phoenix in or TAC glitch her regardless, because Dante has so many multi-hit moves that he'll give the opponent 5 bars by the time the second character dies even without Dark Harmonizer.

JeTmAn81

What was his general strategy? Dante is the character that really frustrates my Dormammu/Morrigan combination, so I imagine that Ammy/Morrigan doesn't have it much better.

The only way to semi-reliably catch Dark Harmonizer is to use high priority multi-hit moves. So, in Dante's case, lots of Reverb Shock. Though you'll need to snap Phoenix in or TAC glitch her regardless, because Dante has so many multi-hit moves that he'll give the opponent 5 bars by the time the second character dies even without Dark Harmonizer.

His general strategy was to play a very aggressive, smart Amaterasu while calling Dark Harmonizer as much as he could. I didn't have any characters with instant punish supers (at first I was playing Magneto/Morrigan/Doom, just for fun since I don't know how to play Morrigan, then later my OG Wesker/Dante/Strider team which had a lot more success, constant Vajra hits) so I couldn't beat the Dark Harmonizer calls. I was also just dropping too much, even when I'd get a hit on his Ammy or Morrigan.

Theoretically I should've been able to easily get a hit on his Ammy after locking down with missiles and then snap in Phoenix for the kill, but it wasn't working out. He was smart enough to super jump to avoid the missiles and I'm still not good enough with Magneto to get up and throw someone who tries that.

Top Bottom