• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

the big thing that I would probably note about KBR's team is that Sentinel brings a lot more DHC damage, and having hard drive to get out of sticky mixups is something that saves him a lot of the time. However, when each player loses Hulk, Fooblat has a much higher change of winning the round than KBR. That said though, KBR's Sentinel is probably his weakest character, and if he could get it up to rayray level or so he'd do a lot better.
KBR's team is 100% built around winning the opening gambit. He claims its the best opening gambit team in the game. That's why he had so much trouble with Fooblat (well aside from that anchor Wesker), he was facing against yet another best opening gambit team. So KBR's team is better at the opening but worse off later on.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
On that note, anyone up for a set later? I took another break and got sloppy again.

Hey guys!, I've been playing on Xbox lately but I also own it for PS3. I'm always looking for matches that can help me lvl up!, I've played only a couple of you guys. I'm looking forward to play with you!.

Shoutouts to anyone that have played with me :) . My PSN : xKeVoHx Xbox Live : I I R o K i N I I

Let me know your Gamertags, Xbox pr PSN :)

I'll probably start playing in an hour or two on 360. GuardianE9999 is my GamerTag if either of you guys want to play!

I wonder if I can make hulk/haggar even scrubbier and use vergil with rapid slash. Could I quake OTG into rapid slash and always get a full confirm? hmmmmmm.....

Sigmaah

Hey guys!, I've been playing on Xbox lately but I also own it for PS3. I'm always looking for matches that can help me lvl up!, I've played only a couple of you guys. I'm looking forward to play with you!.

Shoutouts to anyone that have played with me :) . My PSN : xKeVoHx Xbox Live : I I R o K i N I I

GT is Sigmaah add me and we can play sometime!

I've played you before a couple of times. You pretty good. Still maining that Nova team?

Biggest advice: stick to 1 team for 500 matches straight.

I third this. Team hopping doesn't help learn fundamentals because different teams operate completely different than one another.

Any PS3er's wanna play soon?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59082889]Going on for a bit. Gods_Beard PSN[/QUOTE]

Saw your invite earlier but I was already in another match with my cousin. Let's try again next time.

I've played you before a couple of times. You pretty good. Still maining that Nova team?

I third this. Team hopping doesn't help learn fundamentals because different teams operate completely different than one another.

Any PS3er's wanna play soon?

might be able to play in about 20 minutes, but can only play for about an hour or less.

edit:
nvm, my boss apparently has no clue that the rest of the office has left and our team is still here.

TWILT

Banned
Good games Slasher. Sorry for leaving so suddenly; I had family stuff to do anyway.

I did better than the last time I played you at least. That Standing H hitbox though. x_x

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
GGs, DJ Ghazi!

Our connection was pretty good, especially considering the laggy matches I had before. Just send me a message if you want to play again.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I kind of don't care about playing this game anymore so here you go all of my top secret Nova/Spencer resets.

These are all after a regular ass Nova combo, hit them on the ground, then you hit them in the air, then end it with j. S and a hard knockdown, really hard to mess this one up.

1) Call Spencer, Centurian Arts L. If you are in the corner you end up right next to them which is where the real fun comes out of this reset. Do cr. L. This will end the combo but you can then chain it into cr. M or f. H for the reset. If they block cr. M you can also chain into f.H. Or you can just wait then grab, the possibilities are endless! I think you can escape this with grab.

If you're midscreen the Centurian Arts L puts you on the other side of the opponent but also puts you sort of far away. You have cr. M to close the distance and hit them. Really what you're banking on from midscreen is that you hope your opponent gets confused when you cross them up from the Centurian Arts L. Escape this by blocking.

2) f.H + Spencer assist, QCB H, DP H, Hold Up Energy Javelin. This will almost always end up in the corner. This depends on the opponent's air tech and if they block or not.

Tech backwards: Teching backwards almost always means they're going to block the javelin. Javelin puts them in such little blockstun that you can go up for a grab and it will look like the cheapest shit ever. If they don't block they're stupid, just follow up with on the ground bounce Javelin gives you. Escape this by push blocking the Javelin or teching in place.

Tech forwards: Sometimes people forget to block after teching forward here. If they block it's hard to go for the grab but you can do other fun stuff. You can dash under then cr. M, dash under then ADD j.L for a quick overhead, dash under ADF j. H for a slower overhead. The possibilities are endless! Escape this by not teching forward.

Some people like to call their assist while teching this one in which case you need to Power of the Nova force their ass.

There's plenty more resets but these are the easy ones that people fall for anyways.

Frantic

s.L > Stinger is my new favorite blockstring. Everyone wants to push block s.M after a s.L, so throwing in a Stinger instead just blows everyone up.

One day people will realize there's more to Dante than box dash j.H and assist + teleport. One day.

s.L > Stinger is my new favorite blockstring. Everyone wants to push block s.M after a s.L, so throwing in a Stinger instead just blows everyone up.

One day people will realize there's more to Dante than box dash j.H and assist + teleport. One day.

I don't know why I slept on Dante for so long. Dude is easily one of the most fun characters in the game. I'm still mostly ass with him but I'm doing ok and I'm figuring out shit all the time. It would probably help if I just looked at some guides and asked questions. Hell I just found out yesterday that he doesn't get pushed back when using his cr.L. MADNESS!!!

How would a constantly devil triggered Dante do against MorriDoom?

Azure J

Haha, we had the realization at the same time. Too bad my skills have gone to absolute crap once again. BTW, Sigmaah, you need to stop using Rapid Slash after a Stinger in a block string. I LIVE for that. It's not safe and gets grabbed for free.

Sorry though for all the start and stop play. Errands and whatnot. I really had a hard time between my first pad breaking mid match and generally not knowing what the fuck I was doing versus goddamned Zero. I loved that Doom assist KO I had in the one match with anchor Strider.

Just watched the ECT finals since nobody's playing. I don't get what the deal was with people being sad Chris G picked Magneto. Everybody knows Magneto is one of the better characters for fighting Zero, and Chris G needed to rank up his.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59342633]Just watched the ECT finals since nobody's playing. I don't get what the deal was with people being sad Chris G picked Magneto. Everybody knows Magneto is one of the better characters for fighting Zero, and Chris G needed to rank up his.[/QUOTE]
I think that's what everyone assumed he was doing. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the team he's running for the most part during vevo. Magneto is better than Vergil in my opinion, besides xf3 comebacks.....or maybe I've fought nothing but shitty Vergil's.

Zissou

I think that's what everyone assumed he was doing. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the team he's running for the most part during vevo. Magneto is better than Vergil in my opinion, besides xf3 comebacks.....or maybe I've fought nothing but shitty Vergil's.

I think it's match-up dependent. Neither version of the team is strictly better.

Marz

I think at the level everyone is at right now, M/D/V is better than M/M/D but in the future Magneto will be a better fit for that team.

Vergil is pretty free on incoming.

Marz

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59396041]That's why you put Doom second, though. air photon array to devil trigger is just about the best way to get Vergil in.[/QUOTE]

Well yea but you're always gonna have to deal with getting snapped in.

Hey GAF,

I just got home from UFGT9. I had a fantastic time, and wish I could go to the next one. I thought I would give a breakdown of what I did while there for those who are interested. I bolded key words for easy reading.

I went 4-2 in Marvel. Unknown put my in Loser's, and then he eliminated me later when I played him again. The whole time I was salty as hell because my inputs were just not coming out. At first I thought it was just tournament nerves, because every match this was happening. As I started to try and do superjump into fireball with Firebrand and have just j.M come out, though, I became convinced it was the stick. After I got eliminated I played some casuals with Oerba on SRK, and asked if I could test the stick in training mode first.

Yeah, my stick had a problem. The little knob that can go between DP, RS, and DS (D-pad, right stick, left stick) had gotten switched to RS in my backpack when I pulled it out, so I had to set it properly. I thought it was normally on DS, so I put it there and didn't think about it again. It turns out that DS basically makes qcf motions not register at all in Marvel 3, because I sat in training mode making qcf motions over and over with input display on, and it just wasn't happening.

So, I was simultaneously irritated and satisfied. I went into this tournament with the goal of not going 0-2, and I definitely passed that goal (since it's my first major). However, I definitely could have beaten Unknown if not for this input error. In our second set, every single match I started the round by air throwing him with Firebrand, and everyone who has played my team knows what happens when Firebrand gets the first hit. I just kept dropping the follow-up combo (MMH, dive kick in the air, whiff the qcb.L to get back down and juts j.L instead :-(). I honestly experienced very little tournament nerves, though, because everyone was so friendly and talkative. I really enjoyed the experience.

Some CORN guy named Allcaps (a very fitting name) started shit with Fanatiq, and it was a good 15 minute tirade of him streaming while it was all caught on tape. That happened during my first set with Unknown, and was really annoying. Then a GFAQs player named JDM, who is also a CORN member, beat Fanatiq 3-0 in pools, which caused another pop-off by Allcaps. This one went on long enough that some staff members had to get involved to make sure no one threw punches since it got so heated. Unknown got a money match with JDM out of it, which also ended in JDM winning. Unknown was really salty and yelled a lot about it, even shouting out that he was a "scared little bitch" since he wouldn't rematch him. Most people thought it was all hype, but I just found it annoying and loud. I figure folks here would like the story, though.

Since there were so many games up and running, I took the weekend to experiment with a lot of games I've never played. Everyone was really helpful and tried to teach me stuff. I tried Injustice, and I think that game is just as much clunky ass as MK9 was, but with more extreme movesets. It's just bad. I played it for about 2 hours and didn't like any of the characters, either. Lobo was okay, but his shotgun is just so bad...and I couldn't figure out what his special was.

I played SFxT for the first time, and got bored very quickly. I only gave it 20 minutes, but I couldn't find a reason to play longer than that.

Divekick is fun and lots of laughs. I knew it would be solid, but I played this for a good 2 hours without tiring of it. I tried almost every character in the game. I thought I would like Stream Monster or Dive, but I just wasn't feeling it. I ended up totally loving Dr. Shoals and the double-dive kick you can do with her. Everything just fell into place when I started to use her, and I really enjoyed it. While the game is fun, though, I can't see myself buying it. Most of the enjoyment, I think, comes from playing someone IRL. It's not like I would ever come onto GAF and look for Divekick sets.
I proved that someone is a fraud. ;-D

Then I sat down and played Skullgirls. I honestly did not expect much, and my first few characters I just kind of said "meh" to. I liked Parasoul, but goddamn I hate charge characters and command normals, and that's her entire gameplan. I started to think that I might not find a character I liked to use, when a guy sat next to me and just started teaching me stuff. The next hour was spent with him just teaching me how to play the game, and he said the magic words: "Painwheel is a lot like Sentinel".

"How?"

"She flies around a lot like he does."

I kind of laughed, and thought that maybe he was just generalizing. Plenty of characters fly around in Marvel. Sentinel is Sentinel, nothing is like him (I speak of MvC2 Sentinel, the real one, not the outsourced one). Then I picked her: wow, she plays a lot like Sentinel. I played a ton of matches with her, and even took a match or two off of the guy teaching me (he was using characters he didn't know well, but it felt good). This is totally a character I could love.

This was Friday night, and I spent the next two days primarily playing Skullgirls. All told, I put a good 12 hours into the game. The game is truly fantastic, and the artstyle is actually aesthetically pleasing when you play it in person. I was actually going even or better against most of the people I played with solo Painwheel, but on Saturday night I was in training mode trying to figure out how to combo off of her ground throw when someone sat down next to me and asked if he could play for a while. I told him he looked familiar, and he said "I'm Duckator". I laughed and told him I'd just be a punching bag for him, and he said that it is still better than training mode (lol). So, we played for about 2 hours.

After the first 3 matches he told me that I should really get an assist for Painwheel. I didn't like anyone but Parasoul (and I can't play her), but after another 5 matches with my best result being taking out one of his characters, I decided I should listen (I know he's just much better than me). I asked him what Painwheel's "go to" assist is, and it turned out to be a Parasoul move. Cool. So I can Painwheel/Parasoul. During all of our sets, there were actually a few times where I got him down to his last character, and a good amount of the time I could take his point character down (I almost always got her below half health). I thought that was pretty good for a beginner.

Also, Painwheel/Parasoul plays JUST like Sentinel/Captain Commando. OH MY GOD. I'm almost tearing up right now because I'd forgotten all of the expectations MvC3 brought with it when Sentinel got leaked. *sigh* If they brought him back to MvC2 status in MvC3, I would main him on point again; I might even drop Dormammu for him. Anyway, back on track. It felt like old times. On the way home I thought about it, and I decided that I'm going to buy Skullgirls. This is truly a game worth supporting, and more people should try it. (I should get the PS3 version, right)?

I said "hi" to Markman, and he said he's had ~4 other GAFers say "hi" to him this weekend. Maybe we should have figured a way for us all to meet up, haha. -_-

Do we have anybody else here on GAF from Michigan?
I think I'm gonna go to Michigan Masters this upcoming weekend.
I do not live there anymore, thankfully! :p

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59497073]Nice story Karst, at least your stick is still fine. Mine broke at my first EVO before pools.

Still heated up? I could play a set later :)[/QUOTE]
I'm just going to chill tonight. We probably won't get to play for a while. I'm taking a trip to Colorado this weekend to find my wife and myself a place to live.

Solune

Great story Karst, glad you had fun at what was a great tournament. My experience at April Duels was a myriad of issues but I had fun with my actual matches at least.

Also you didn't bold any keywords like you said in your post!

Glad you took another look at Skullgirls because it is the only game out of a trifecta keeping 2D fighters alive. KoFXIII, SG, Aquapazza. I would stick UNiB in there but no one gives a fuck about it since French Bread has no where near the same following. The upcoming version will hopefully make me do a total 360 on the game as well, since I was soured on it going in thinking it was MvC2-II, which I feel it is just not. But it will come into it's own light and I'm all for it.

Top Bottom