• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Unknown played really well this weekend....really don't like his team though. Viper/Drones seems kinda week and relying on raw tag to get the team order correct is kinda strange

Kioshen

Unknown played really well this weekend....really don't like his team though. Viper/Drones seems kinda week and relying on raw tag to get the team order correct is kinda strange

The way I understand his game plan is that Sentinel can HD out of mix ups for 1 meter. He seems more confortable dealing with incoming mix ups that way and if something happens he has access to lv3 Viper. He probably keeps Sent 2nd for infinite shenanigans too.

I watched the Kane/Fooblat match with my girlfriend and she was cracking up the whole time even though she's a Smash player and doesn't play Marvel at all. Awesome set.

Sometimes she calls me and asks if that's Magneto in the background so maybe it's getting though by osmosis.

Anyone up for some PS3 games a bit later? I have some homework to finish still but should be good for some games later. Haven't played in a while so I'll probably be rusty, but I need to get back in it with the teams I'm thinking of running at Evo this year.

EasyMode

Anyone up for some PS3 games a bit later? I have some homework to finish still but should be good for some games later. Haven't played in a while so I'll probably be rusty, but I need to get back in it with the teams I'm thinking of running at Evo this year.

I'd be up for some games, but I won't be online til around 8:30 EST.

PSN: EasyMode-J

sometimes assist characters can get hit again after starting their standing animation. i remember sixfortyfive showing a vid of the same thing happening.
I was asking about this a few weeks ago but I'm not sure anyone had an answer. I'd really like to know why this happens cause it happens to me often

I would really like to see Rogue in MvC again. I played MSP and Team Scrub in MvC2 when I needed to be really competitive, but when I played what I liked it usually consisted of Rogue/xxx/Tron. Usually Jill or Colossus in that other spot. And Omega Red/Sentinel/Gambit was another fun as hell team I would regularly run

*sigh* I really miss marvel 2

Wrong. I LOVE the X-Men. I HATE the fake fans who constantly complain about the Marvel roster but have never bought a single comic in there life.

So..... yeah.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59869425]GGs Smedwicks, let's play again sometime.[/QUOTE]

For sure! Really had fun and it was great to be able to test my teams out. I feel like my Ammy is getting a lot better in clutch situations, but my Doom/Nova are still massively ass. I feel like I was doing a bit on the lucky side, since normally most matches (especially with Ammy ending) don't go that well, normally if Cap doesn't finish the job I'm done, 9 times out of 10. And it was also strange in that I felt nervous to play (since I haven't played in a good couple weeks) and yet I was trying to test resets and setups, though I ended up failing at the more basic ones (most notably Nova's instant overheads). But still, really enjoyed getting back into playing in such a heated manner, definitely up for more games sometime.

I just signed in Smedwicks. Are you still up for some games?

Oh yeah, lemme log on again real quick. FT10 sound good to you?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59872525]CHARGING STAR[/QUOTE]

Just think of my playstyle like how Mike Ross plays Honda. I will always Charging Star. And it will always hit (83% of the time).

GGs Smedwicks, hope you didn't mind schooling the noob. You've taught me a great lesson on when not to call my assists :lol

Good games EasyMode! Yeah, I tend to Charging Star a lot, and without much fear, lol. You had some good Magneto combos but either the online on your end was a bit shaky (it was a bit rough at first but smoothed out pretty quickly) or you were just nervous/your execution was a bit off? And I hope you didn't mind me testing one of my alternate alternate teams on you, I still need to work on my Haggar a lot, lol. Any time you would want to play again, let me know!

Dartastic

So, I was getting hit by Virgil and had Dr. Doom beam to cover me. Virgil was doing cscs, and the beam went RIGHT THROUGH VIRGIL AND DIDN'T SAVE MY ASS. WTF.

EasyMode

Good games EasyMode! Yeah, I tend to Charging Star a lot, and without much fear, lol. You had some good Magneto combos but either the online on your end was a bit shaky (it was a bit rough at first but smoothed out pretty quickly) or you were just nervous/your execution was a bit off?

It was a case of both. I get surprised whenever I open someone up, and then I tend to over-think the combo and drop it.

And I hope you didn't mind me testing one of my alternate alternate teams on you, I still need to work on my Haggar a lot, lol. Any time you would want to play again, let me know!

I didn't mind, and your Haggar was scary enough from where I was sitting. Cap 'n Haggar are happy birthday machines.

It was a case of both. I get surprised whenever I open someone up, and then I tend to over-think the combo and drop it.

I didn't mind, and your Haggar was scary enough from where I was sitting. Cap 'n Haggar are happy birthday machines.

Yeah, I think that's just sort of the jitters/hit confirm ability. I think if that's the case, working on your ability to hit confirm (is there random block in training mode? That could be an option) into combos could be really helpful. Aside from that, just working on execution too would be good, and assist calls. I have a big problem with that myself. You were doing good most of the time on making sure not to stick out any really punishable moves when I was coming at you with Haggar though.

And yeah, Haggar was my Vanilla and beginning of Ultimate main, though I'm still really rusty with Ultimate Haggar, so much different compared to Vanilla, lol. And yeah, ability to get good happy birthday's is one of my favorite parts about Cap.

Good games kevo_huevo!

I think your team is really solid, and it never occurred to me to run something like that before (even though I'm definitely happy with the teams I'm running now), and I think it is really solid. You've definitely got really good assist coverage, and you were doing a great job at keeping at just the right spaces during the match, definitely made it tough for me to try and snipe with a Charging Star. Really great matches, and really enjoyed how it came down to the wire on a lot of them. Your Doom is really good too. Would definitely love to play some games against you in the future, man.

Good games kevo_huevo!

I think your team is really solid, and it never occurred to me to run something like that before (even though I'm definitely happy with the teams I'm running now), and I think it is really solid. You've definitely got really good assist coverage, and you were doing a great job at keeping at just the right spaces during the match, definitely made it tough for me to try and snipe with a Charging Star. Really great matches, and really enjoyed how it came down to the wire on a lot of them. Your Doom is really good too. Would definitely love to play some games against you in the future, man.

GGs man. We'll definitely get more games in soon. Though I only get a chance to play like once or twice a week.
You definitely made my nova irrelevant (which is normally my most solid character), so I need to rethink my strategy on getting in.

Gonna try to be on for the next hour or so if anyone wants to play

GGs man. We'll definitely get more games in soon. Though I only get a chance to play like once or twice a week.
You definitely made my nova irrelevant (which is normally my most solid character), so I need to rethink my strategy on getting in.

Yeah, I think your Nova had a bit of trouble getting in, but you also did a pretty good job of keeping my Cap out, so there's that. I think both of your assists can do really well for movement, maybe work on your wavedashing with Nova while calling assists to cover your approach? You could always check Moons out for really good Nova movement and neutral game, though I think you're doing pretty good with it already.

Frantic

Was messing around with some new block string ideas and I have one that would be great if I could find a way to condition people into push blocking a s.M. The idea is basically IAD j.H - dash up s.M *push blocked* - s.H xx empty cancel counterhit Weasel Shot.
I do that sometimes with Scat Shot(and discovered it initially by accident). A lot of people like to jump forward after a pushblock, so Scat Shot is perfect for catching them out of the air, and then Stinger to convert. Plus, it'll catch most character's dashes - Weasel Shot is best against short characters like Zero(though he'll probably want to take to the sky since his dash isn't very good at getting in after a pushblock) or Wolverine.

Amusingly, Scat Shot can go in between Soul Fists to catch Morrigan during flight startup. Combining it with Vajra, you can generally chop off about 4-5ish seconds of Astral Vision time from full screen and possibly catch Doom behind her. If you do it right, Dante can block or even avoid the Soul Fists to start oki offense. If only Scat Shot could be used earlier in s.H!

I also might start using Million Stabs more as a poke as an alternative to Reverb Shock in some cases. Mainly when I expect someone to be holding forward and might get caught by Stinger. Being able to convert into a 1.5 bar building, 600k combo is pretty nice! Plus, I don't have to really think about what I want to cancel into if they block.

Dahbomb

I have seen numerous Zero perfects but I have never seen 4 of them in a single set. That is a record as far as I am aware of. You can't even say Flux "out played" him even though he is most likely the better overall player.

Most Zero players are like Vanilla Wolverine players. Their character makes them think that they're good at the game.
Nah Zero takes skill (sort of, you need to be a good Zero player to win). Vergil is the character in UMVC3 that makes player think they are good.

"Herp a derp I just made a GODLIKE comeback on you with my LVL3 XF Vergil with his 4 stocked meters.... I feel like Justin Marvelous Wong!"

I have seen numerous Zero perfects but I have never seen 4 of them in a single set. That is a record as far as I am aware of. You can't even say Flux "out played" him even though he is most likely the better overall player.

Nah Zero takes skill (sort of, you need to be a good Zero player to win). Vergil is the character in UMVC3 that makes player think they are good.

"Herp a derp I just made a GODLIKE comeback on you with my LVL3 XF Vergil with his 4 stocked meters.... I feel like Justin Marvelous Wong!"
I disagree. Everyone knows what Vergil is. Zero just takes combo execution.

Top Bottom