• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Great story Karst, glad you had fun at what was a great tournament. My experience at April Duels was a myriad of issues but I had fun with my actual matches at least.

Also you didn't bold any keywords like you said in your post!

Glad you took another look at Skullgirls because it is the only game out of a trifecta keeping 2D fighters alive. KoFXIII, SG, Aquapazza. I would stick UNiB in there but no one gives a fuck about it since French Bread has no where near the same following. The upcoming version will hopefully make me do a total 360 on the game as well, since I was soured on it going in thinking it was MvC2-II, which I feel it is just not. But it will come into it's own light and I'm all for it.
I fixed the post - I copy-pasted it from the FGW thread and forgot that it doesn't carry over.

What's UNiB?

I felt like Skullgirls had MvC2-II potential. How did you find it unsatisfying?

There were a ton of anime games there, I couldn't tell them apart. I saw Melty Blood, maybe Aquapazza and ummm....I want to say the creepy one with all the young girls, but that's too general for this genre...

C'mon Karst, you know you miss those michigan winters
I tell you, there are two things I miss about Michigan:
1) GREEN. Chicago is a dump.
2) Sane drivers.

Solune

What's UNiB?
http://inbirth.info/movie.html

I felt like Skullgirls had MvC2-II potential. How did you find it unsatisfying?
Particularly air combos and their transition, it's not like MvC2 at all, it's very much more the style of GG. Plus playing a 6 button fighter on pad is much harder when you have assist calls that aren't their own button. I couldn't find a control scheme that I could play comfortably with.
There were a ton of anime games there, I couldn't tell them apart. I saw Melty Blood, maybe Aquapazza and ummm....I want to say the creepy one with all the young girls, but that's too general for this genre...

Melty will always be king in my heart. Aquapazza is really good too. If you're talking about Arcana Heart, it's a very solid game that no one played. Unfortunately it's aesthetic isn't appealing to the minions of NA but aside from the sidebars, there's actually no gratuitous fanservice shots.

GGs Onion, I really need to drop Strider. I think Hawkeye/Vergil/Magneto is making more sense for me, and I'll play Hawkeye/Vergil/Dante against certain matchups. This way I can use the up arrows assist for Hawkeye.

Dahbomb

I think Skullgirls biggest detriment has always been its lack of sheer character numbers for a team game. If you have less than 10 characters with a potential for 3v3 game play... that means half the characters are used in every match! This makes for extremely stale synergies and team variations.

And like Solune mentioned, 6 button game play with no assist dedicated buttons.

onionfrog

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59499785]Ok logging on now[/QUOTE]
Good Games God's Beard!
I especially liked your fullscreen combos with Hawkeye + Rapid Slash assist.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59507449]GGs Onion, I really need to drop Strider. I think Hawkeye/Vergil/Magneto is making more sense for me, and I'll play Hawkeye/Vergil/Dante against certain matchups. This way I can use the up arrows assist for Hawkeye.[/QUOTE]
That should work, Hawkeye up arrows assist is pretty great in its own right. I use it on a side team of Jill/Dante/Hawkeye.

I think Skullgirls biggest detriment has always been its lack of sheer character numbers for a team game. If you have less than 10 characters with a potential for 3v3 game play... that means half the characters are used in every match! This makes for extremely stale synergies and team variations.

That's why I never bothered before, but Painwheel is just so fun to play (and she's rarely used) that it works for me to some degree. Plus, I'd like to see this game get more support after playing it, so I'll throw my money in just for that.

Ah okay, I know that one. I just didn't know that abbreviation.

Particularly air combos and their transition, it's not like MvC2 at all, it's very much more the style of GG. Plus playing a 6 button fighter on pad is much harder when you have assist calls that aren't their own button. I couldn't find a control scheme that I could play comfortably with.
One guy I played against was on pad and did it fine, but I totally understand. I haven't used my 7th and 8th buttons on my stick outside of recording CPU actions in training mode since MvC3 was released. It's not easy to get used to (still not used to it).

Melty will always be king in my heart. Aquapazza is really good too. If you're talking about Arcana Heart, it's a very solid game that no one played. Unfortunately it's aesthetic isn't appealing to the minions of NA but aside from the sidebars, there's actually no gratuitous fanservice shots.
Arcana Heart! Yes, that was it. I'd give them all a try. I'm very open-minded to new experiences.

Good Games God's Beard!
I especially liked your fullscreen combos with Hawkeye + Rapid Slash assist.

Yeah, I'm getting better at confirming them online. Pretty soon I'll be finishing them, lol!

That's the one reason I'm hesitating on dropping Strider, he gives me ~650k meterless combos with Hawkeye, using most other useful neutral assists drop my combos by about 100k. Right now I can do about a million off of any arrow with rapid slash from any distance if I DHC and I don't want to give that up.

Hawkeye/Magneto/Vergil so you can DHC Vergil in safely! :p

Spiral Swords DHC lets me do kill combos from full screen, though. Totally erases Hawkeye's damage issues.

Well, the solo/duo/trio thing makes things more varied than that, but yeah it's certainly a big (inevitable really) fault it has.

Thank god for 8 button sticks.

Zissou

After finally switching to play on monitor rather than my TV, it is really a night and day difference. I cannot go back. Fuck, I don't even know if I want to play other genres on a TV anymore.

Nert

GGs Nert. Connection was really good but man I've never played a skrull like yours. I was just trying to out random you half way through our set.

Yeah, those were some great games! I would have sticked around for more than a FT15 if I didn't have to get up early for work tomorrow. Your Spencer was absolutely terrifying and I was really impressed with your Strange loops. And yeah, my Super Skrull gets away with a lot of cheesy stuff (thank you, dagger assist).

That random match where we both switched to our zoning B-teams was pretty funny :)

Yeah, those were some great games! I would have sticked around for more than a FT15 if I didn't have to get up early for work tomorrow. Your Spencer was absolutely terrifying and I was really impressed with your Strange loops. And yeah, my Super Skrull gets away with a lot of cheesy stuff (thank you, dagger assist).

That random match where we both switched to our zoning B-teams was pretty funny :)

I would go for FoF loops more often but playing online there's a much higher chance of me dropping it so I usually go for the guarantee kill. Tron really caught me of guard only because I've never practiced any of my combos on her and that led to a few drops.

Yea I thought I'd try and play my zoning team but that didn't work out so well. Doom is the only other character I know how to play outside of my 3 main characters.

Solune

Yup good matches. Nova definitely has trouble against hard zoning. Funny I lost the opening gambit everytime. I need to work on that.

More Rapid Slashes!

That was the first time I played with the entire plan to snap in the anchor other than against Jean.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59538321]I'm always so happy when someone snaps in Magneto.

Yay! Magneto time![/QUOTE]
I never snap your Magneto in because he's not a good anchor. Though if I did, it would be right into an unblockable setup. ;-)

dwix

Thinking about picking this up today, and I am wondering if now is a good time to hop in on the action (haven't placed since MvC2 on Dreamcast, jumping in cold)? And is there a preferred platform?

onionfrog

Thinking about picking this up today, and I am wondering if now is a good time to hop in on the action (haven't placed since MvC2 on Dreamcast, jumping in cold)? And is there a preferred platform?
You might as well pick it up now, there is no chance of capcom ever releasing another updated version.

Platform-wise, I think the 360 version runs a little better than PS3, but we've got more people here on GAF that play the PS3 version regularly.

There is a spreadsheet listed in the first page of this OT that lists information for everyone here that plays the game. Feel free to add yourself to it once you get the game.

EDIT: This quote below contains a link to the spreadsheet:
Being the heavily multiplayer-based game UMvC3 is, naturally you want to get some games in with your fellow GAFers. And there are a few ways to do so. Karsticles has created this handy spreadsheet that you can add yourself to, which is informative and helpful when it comes to finding matches with fellow GAFers.

dwix

You might as well pick it up now, there is no chance of capcom ever releasing another updated version.

Platform-wise, I think the 360 version runs a little better than PS3, but we've got more people here on GAF that play the PS3 version regularly.

There is a spreadsheet listed in the first page of this OT that lists information for everyone here that plays the game. Feel free to add yourself to it once you get the game.

EDIT: This quote below contains a link to the spreadsheet:

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely check that out.

JeTmAn81

GGs Jetman. You did so much better from the other day. It was a lot harder for me.

Go me! It probably helped me a lot to stick with the team I'm probably most familiar with. I think the reason I get frustrated losing so much to you is that I just keep thinking "I'm fighting the worst character in the game, how can I lose?". But regardless of how bad Mr. Wright is overall, you've obviously put in the work to come up with a lot of tech for that team and it's pretty daunting.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59619925]GGs Jetman, that was some frustrating lag, though. Couldn't even get supers to come out most of the time :-([/QUOTE]

Sorry about that, I'm still stuck on wireless unfortunately, without even a wired option at all now since the TV upstairs died. The weird thing is, lag tends to vary for me, and the fact that I was able to hit any Magneto combos at all means it was pretty decent on my end. But I was playing others earlier in the day when I couldn't hit anything. So I dunno.

I'm surprised that GB doesn't have any infinites down, since half of the man's posts are about how much damage he can do for 1 bar of meter with Magneto.

I do have a couple, I just never use them. Like Akuma's. And the more I play the less useful they seem. To be honest, practicing them really annoys me.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59658441]I do have a couple, I just never use them. Like Akuma's. And the more I play the less useful they seem. To be honest, practicing them really annoys me.[/QUOTE]
So they're Strider tier, you're saying? ;-)

Azure J

s.L > Stinger is my new favorite blockstring. Everyone wants to push block s.M after a s.L, so throwing in a Stinger instead just blows everyone up.

One day people will realize there's more to Dante than box dash j.H and assist + teleport. One day.

Was messing around with some new block string ideas and I have one that would be great if I could find a way to condition people into push blocking a s.M. The idea is basically IAD j.H - dash up s.M *push blocked* - s.H xx empty cancel counterhit Weasel Shot.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59711781]GGs Beef, looks like I got dropped.[/QUOTE]

You're not the only one. It keeps saying "Player data update has failed." Now I can't even access the online menu.

Top Bottom