• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Horseress

DAMN this game!
I watch streams and it's like "meh Chris G", "meh Morrigan", "meh Zero"
but when I'm choosing which game should I play, MAHVEl! And it's still fun as fuck, I can't deny it...I bought my PS3 because of it
And even more now that I FINALLY learned how to wave back dashing consistently, the fun has just begun

Azure J

Most Zero players are like Vanilla Wolverine players. Their character makes them think that they're good at the game.

So true. It's even better when they have a team setup like Zero/Assist/Dark Anchor-Second Point and the assist character isn't good for much when on point. Of course I still get bopped by them anyway. =/

*says the Viper player*

I have seen numerous Zero perfects but I have never seen 4 of them in a single set. That is a record as far as I am aware of. You can't even say Flux "out played" him even though he is most likely the better overall player.

How many perfects were traded back and forth in that House of Crack Yipes vs. Flux set? I swear every win at one point was a perfect between the two.

Nah Zero takes skill (sort of, you need to be a good Zero player to win). Vergil is the character in UMVC3 that makes player think they are good.

"Herp a derp I just made a GODLIKE comeback on you with my LVL3 XF Vergil with his 4 stocked meters.... I feel like Justin Marvelous Wong!"

I do also agree with this though. Zero's the guy you pick when you want to steamroll and feel somewhat accomplished using. Vergil is babby's first ToD character.

Zissou

Speaking of Vergil... I need to learn spiral sword loops as quickly as possible. Does anyone know the best resource(s) for getting the info? (or just know themselves?)

onionfrog

Speaking of Vergil... I need to learn spiral sword loops as quickly as possible. Does anyone know the best resource(s) for getting the info? (or just know themselves?)
I would like to second this and add: What is the easiest variation of Vergil's sword loops?

Azure J

I would like to second this and add: What is the easiest variation of Vergil's sword loops?

Depends on your positioning and what you're resources are regarding bounces:

Midscreen: Whatever until Round Trip is Charged - Ground Bounce move - Release Round Trip - c.H - Judgement Cut L (hold L afterwards) - c.H xx Summoned Swords - Lunar Phase - Release Round Trip.. (loop)

You can dash under if you are too close to any particular corner and need another rep after they're pulled back to you with Round Trip

In the Corner post DHC into Swords: Judgement Cut L (hold L) - Helm Splitter - Release Round Trip - c.H - Judgement Cut L (hold L) - c.H - Stinger (wall bounces) - Release Round Trip - c.H - Judgement Cut L (hold L) - c.H xx Swords - Lunar Phase - loop from Round Trip x N where N is amount of meters or times you wish to do this.

From a neutral activation in front of someone: (while charging Round Trip) Stinger - Teleport M - Stinger - Release Round Trip - c.H - Judgement Cut L (hold L after) - c.H xx Swords - Lunar Phase - loop from Round Trip x N where N is amount of meters or times you wish to do this.

Off a wall bounce in his standard BNB when in the corner: Stinger (wait for the character to float over you to the other side with Round Trip charged) - Release Round Trip - c.H - Judgement Cut L (hold L) - c.H xx Swords - Lunar Phase - loop from Round Trip x N where N is amount of meters or times you wish to do this.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury I present to you exhibit A in the case of Zero is the best character in the game.

the guy he was playing against was pretty terrible though :\

Also I think Flux's team would be much better if he put Morrigan in the second position instead of Vergil.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
the guy he was playing against was pretty terrible though :\

Also I think Flux's team would be much better if he put Morrigan in the second position instead of Vergil.

I don't think so. Zero doesn't need a meter assist, but benefits greatly from the Vergil carry assist. Morrigan doesn't provide an insta-kill DHC if he decides to go that route for easier inputs. Also Morrigan doesn't benefit from Zero assist, and while Jam Session is good for her, it's not ideal alone.

I also don't think Morrigan fits well into Flux's playstyle. Morrigan just doesn't fit on every team.

There are 3 variants. I think that this one is both practical and does high damage:

1) Spiral Swords (hold L)
2) dp.M
3) Wait half a second (until the swords are almost gone)
4) Release L
5) c.H x qcf.L
6) c.H (only part of this that takes any kind of timing practice)
7) Spiral Swords (hold L)

It's much easier than it looks. The conversion off of Rapid Slash is:
1) Spiral Swords (hold L)
2) s.H, f.H
3) qcb.M or qcb.L (up to you for screen positioning)
4) f.H
5) Release L
6) c.H x qcf.L
7) c.H, f.H, qcb.M (or in corners, c.H, f.H, release L - charge L after the qcf.L in 6)).
8) s.H, s.S, s.H
9) Release L
10) c.H x qcf.L
11) c.H
12) Spiral Swords (hold L)

Gotta hold buttons as Zero man. Zero is way harder to play and win with than Vanilla Wolverine and UMVC3 Vergil.
You have to hold one button. Most Zero players get by just fine without using their L input. If he required input switching, I would agree, but he doesn't. j.H gives you all the time in the world to confirm with whatever you want. Vergil at least gives something up when he holds L.

JeTmAn81

You have to hold one button. Most Zero players get by just fine without using their L input. If he required input switching, I would agree, but he doesn't. j.H gives you all the time in the world to confirm with whatever you want. Vergil at least gives something up when he holds L.

As someone with a modicum of Zero play experience, I don't think you can do well with Zero by just holding the L button all the time. His best incoming mixup requires you to shift the charge to another button, and that's pretty foreign for most people since almost no characters in the game use that charging mechanism.

Dahbomb

You can get by with charging just L but you would be giving up j.L instand overhead fuzzy guards with Jam Session and corner mix ups with L Lightning.

Likewise if you play Dark Vergil you never need to hold L during combat. Only for incoming mix ups and combos.

As someone with a modicum of Zero play experience, I don't think you can do well with Zero by just holding the L button all the time. His best incoming mixup requires you to shift the charge to another button, and that's pretty foreign for most people since almost no characters in the game use that charging mechanism.
His best incoming mixup is picking his nose under his opponent while calling Jam Session. Then using the ambiguous landing into s.M for a second mix-up, and then qcb.M into letting go of M for a third one. :p

Frantic

Personally, I feel Vergil out does Zero on the 'make players look better than they are' front. He's more of a character that anyone can pick and get hits with because of his straight forward movement, normals, and Spiral Swords. Zero has to think - just a bit - to get the hits.

At the end of the day, they're both derp and can die in a fire.

Dahbomb

Personally, I feel Vergil out does Zero on the 'make players look better than they are' front. He's more of a character that anyone can pick and get hits with because of his straight forward movement, normals, and Spiral Swords. Zero has to think - just a bit - to get the hits.
That's what I am saying.

PSA: Sephi stop ducking me, I know your ass is online on Steam.

I'm talking about how it makes the player feel, not how it makes the player look. I think Zero convinces people that are mediocre that they're good (see: Flux). Vergil players know it's the character. Why do you think Zero players only stop practicing lightning loops long enough to post about how he hasn't won a major? It makes them hard. No Vergil player honestly thinks that the character is fine, but Zero players think that what they do involves a lot of hard work.

Frantic

I'm talking about how it makes the player feel, not how it makes the player look. I think Zero convinces people that are mediocre that they're good (see: Flux). Vergil players know it's the character. Why do you think Zero players only stop practicing lightning loops long enough to post about how he hasn't won a major? It makes them hard. No Vergil player honestly thinks that the character is fine, but Zero players think that what they do involves a lot of hard work.
Well, I can agree with that. However, are you also saying Wolverine players in vanilla thought what they were doing was difficult in some capacity? Because I thought everyone knew how stupid Wolverine was.

Zissou

Thanks to Karst and Azure J for the spiral swords notation! Time to hit training mode. What are the common starters? The crouching magic series into stinger xx L teleport?

Dahbomb

No Vergil player honestly thinks that the character is fine, but Zero players think that what they do involves a lot of hard work.
Alright that's fair I guess. Although I have seen Vergil players feeling themselves after a comeback.

SEPHI STOP DUCKING ME!!!!!

What's Sephi even ducking you in? o_O

Well, I can agree with that. However, are you also saying Wolverine players in vanilla thought what they were doing was difficult in some capacity? Because I thought everyone knew how stupid Wolverine was.
Even Dahbomb complained about how much he had to practice Wolverine's j.L overhead in Vanilla for it to get nerfed in Ultimate. :p

Thanks to Karst and Azure J for the spiral swords notation! Time to hit training mode. What are the common starters? The crouching magic series into stinger xx L teleport?
Common starter is Rapid Slash. Outside of that, air throws and teleport mix-ups.

Dahbomb

I didn't complain about it I welcomed the change. Before you could mash j.L twice and get like a double overhead because it has a dumb hit box, now its more reasonable.

No Wolverine player thought the character required immense skill in Vanilla. In UMVC3 you have to play smarter with him but his game plan is still rather simple.

I didn't complain about it I welcomed the change. Before you could mash j.L twice and get like a double overhead because it has a dumb hit box, now its more reasonable.

No Wolverine player thought the character required immense skill in Vanilla. In UMVC3 you have to play smarter with him but his game plan is still rather simple.
Don't make me send Detective Panda through your posts to find it!

Zissou

What's Sephi even ducking you in? o_O

Even Dahbomb complained about how much he had to practice Wolverine's j.L overhead in Vanilla for it to get nerfed in Ultimate. :p

Common starter is Rapid Slash. Outside of that, air throws and teleport mix-ups.

Ahh, I meant more when I land a clean hit with point Vergil, what is the best/proper pre-SS loops combo bit. I wish I could remember when you were playing Vergil and asking questions about him, as I bet a lot of the questions I'll ask have already been answered, haha.

Ahh, I meant more when I land a clean hit with point Vergil, what is the best/proper pre-SS loops combo bit. I wish I could remember when you were playing Vergil and asking questions about him, as I bet a lot of the questions I'll ask have already been answered, haha.
Typical Vergil combo is:
s.LMH, f.H, dp.L~H, sj.MHS, s.H, f.H, qcb.M, s.HS, sj.H, d.H, df.H, qcf.MH

If you want to go into loops for more damage:
s.LMH, f.H, dp.L~H, sj.MHS, s.H, f.H, qcb.M, c.H, dp.AA

Azure J

I'd really have nothing to say about this game if everyone did "ass" damage like Dante for similar work/thought put into it versus hammer your derpiest single button move or non-scaling special. The rent damage is too damn high in this game.

There's a few. You have the general idea though without assists to set it up easier/faster. There's one more that goes so:

Standing: s.L (hold L) - s.MH - f.H - s.S - Upper Slash - Round Trip - c.H - Judgement Cut L (hold L) - c.H xx Swords - Lunar Phase (DP+M) - Round Trip - loop from c.H onward per meter availability, etc.

Second time in a day I'm going to post this, but 6:49 is still the single funniest thing I've seen in any Marvel 3 combo video.

Hobobloke

Pretty sure If you do the standard standing series with Vergil they can pushblock the M to make H whiff for a punish, better to go s.LM, f.H

Dahbomb

Pretty sure If you do the standard standing series with Vergil they can pushblock the M to make H whiff for a punish, better to go s.LM, f.H
Stinger whiffs more than st.H especially against shorter characters. Plus it has way more recovery. That block string is extremely ill advised. If you are worried about being push blocked replace st.H with cr.H.

Also everyone knows Vergil's block string is HSHSH etc.

Solune

Strange! I play that team sometimes, its actually pretty good.
Tokido was actually practicing this team. Taekua also plays Nova/Task/Vergil. Solid teams all around.

That's why you never autopilot your block string, alot of characters other than Vergil can get screwed by inputting standing magic series. s.H is usually fine because Vergil steps forward and has a massive hitbox that you'll probably still get them unless they are small character.

Frantic

I actually performed two FoF loops online today(off Legion DHC, no less)! Not the full three Flames of Faltines in the air, just two, but it's the first time I actually completed that combo online and the first time I've played Strange in about a month so I was quite happy.

My Strange is still ass, though. I can't do anything without Jam Session.

Up + L is hard, man. Just like QCF. H + A2 and df.H.

I've been playing Dante so much and goddamn do you have to be a smart motherfucker when you're playing him. It's like every matchup is different. Wolverine is seriously pissing me off though....any tips? I've been using crystal.......a lot.

I think it's odd that I don't use Viper considering I play her in sf4. And I know her and Dante work well together. I'd also like to know some other good Dante teams where he is on point or second. I'm getting way too much shit for my Dante/Morrigan/Strider team, so I'd like a secondary one

Frantic

I've been playing Dante so much and goddamn do you have to be a smart motherfucker when you're playing him. It's like every matchup is different.
It's why I enjoy him. Constantly keeps me on my toes and makes me think - something I feel a lot of people don't actually do when playing Marvel.

Wolverine is seriously pissing me off though....any tips? I've been using crystal.......a lot.
Be psychic. Sounds like a joke, but it's kinda not. You basically have to read what the Wolverine wants to do in every spot and preemptively counter it. There's not much I can give in the way of tips besides play the matchup and recognize spots where Wolverine wants to do things and figure out what beats it. Maybe even play Wolverine a bit yourself to get a hang of when and where you want to be doing stuff. Crystal and Hysteric are definitely recommended in the matchup.

I think it's odd that I don't use Viper considering I play her in sf4. And I know her and Dante work well together. I'd also like to know some other good Dante teams where he is on point or second. I'm getting way too much shit for my Dante/Morrigan/Strider team, so I'd like a secondary one
The obvious point teams would be Dante/Vergil/Magneto or Dante/Vergil/Strider, but there's also Dante/Trish(Low Voltage or Peekaboo would be my recommendations, but Hopscotch can be useful against Wolverine)/Strider, Dante/Iron-Man/Strider, Dante/Doom/Strider, Dante/Sent/Strider, Dante/Magneto/Sentinel, Dante/Iron-Man/Sent, Dante/Dorm/Magneto, Dante/Dorm/Doom to name a few.

Generally, you want either Strider or a horizontal projectile on your team. Both is the best of both worlds.

For secondary I think Nova/Dante/Strider is pretty solid. Viper/Dante/Strider is awesome though. Viper really benefits from the two of them and it's a super fun team to play.

Top Bottom