• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Azure J

Late and all but sorry for the sudden departure Nils. I had to drop my sister off at something when the matches cut short. GGs. I feel like I'm really beginning to handle myself better overall even though my movement is suffering from new pad blues. I was trying to plink dash out of a lot of stuff and sticking with my tride and true movement but some stuff is still dropping. Gotta tighten that up.

I'm also glad to see that I'm making more smart calls playing with my team. Finally, how's about dat Strider? :D

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Late and all but sorry for the sudden departure Nils. I had to drop my sister off at something when the matches cut short. GGs. I feel like I'm really beginning to handle myself better overall even though my movement is suffering from new pad blues. I was trying to plink dash out of a lot of stuff and sticking with my tride and true movement but some stuff is still dropping. Gotta tighten that up.

I'm also glad to see that I'm making more smart calls playing with my team. Finally, how's about dat Strider? :D

I can't block Strider like at all and that's without orbs flying left and right. Was glad to some successful left/right shenanigans myself with X-23. Dante was solid too. The biggest mistake I saw you do was keep going for the X-Factor canceled Viper combo at the start. I get why you'd want to shut Taskmaster down asap but I don't think it ever worked out in your favor. Either you X-Factored before the hit confirm and I would just block the rest of the setup or you dropped the combo midway. If you were able to nail that combo every single time it may be an entirely different story though. You have a lot of fancy tech though, more so than me but the trade-off is that you often dropped it and it ended up costing you kills.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Come for the Marlinpie vs Clockwork match...

Stay for the Nina orgasm at the end.

qsJq2.gif

Does luminous body decrease the charge time for fire brands demon missile unblockable?
Nope.

Edit: Also, I used Vergil again, and I found him more enjoyable than I did last time I played him. I think it's partially because I was playing more footsies instead of waiting for Round Trip opportunities. I also spent a lot more time in Devil Trigger, which is fun.

Is Rapid Slash really -3 on block in Devil Trigger? It feels safe. If I mash f.H after recovering, I don't get a throw, which suggests that I am recovering first. I've also caught lots of people with s.L after Rapid Slash, and...that shouldn't be happening. Thoughts, Vergil players?

I am messing with the following teams right now, and kind of enjoying all of them in some way:
Wesker/Dormammu/Morrigan
Skrull/Dormammu/Morrigan
Vergil/Dormammu/Morrigan
Morrigan/Dormammu/Strider
Deadpool/Dormammu/Morrigan
Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan

The Wesker, Vergil, and Deadpool teams seem the strongest.

Edit: And a silly thing I never checked: does Devil Trigger insta-charge Round Trip like Spiral Swords does?

Frantic

GGs Smurf. I was bugging out, not capatlizing on anything haha. Felt like my execution was missing today. It all went down hill that first game when I lost to Haggar when I called the wrong formation with Strider and got bopped. It was heartbreaking. I was also too afraid of Lariat the entire set and didn't want to go in too hard. >_>

GGs Azure. I was totally sloppy that entire set. After playing Smurf, my brain wasn't in the best condition, so I was just doing shit without really thinking about it. There were some hilarious moments though. Landing Ghost Rider and Phoenix Wright's level 3s is a great feeling, haha.

Also, just a tip from messing around with your team... call Jam Session more and try to go for high/low mixups. It's really strong. And call Jam Session more in general. It's a godlike assist. :p

Azure J

Frantic, I swear I have the most fun with Marvel playing you. :lol

First five matches with the official team: I really feel like I'm almost there with everyone. Just need to lose the tendency to down back when a pressure attempt would be more rewarding.

Every other match afterwards: LOL. Nearly running it back against Hulk/Haggar/Sentinel with plain Strider? On a magic pixel? Only to lose by Excalibur M into Sent's s.L? Amazing.

Hsien-Ko backdashing with speed that makes her Vampire Saviour self proud only to chuck a star the first round I play with the Hsien-Ko/Dante/Strider team (that I am very seriously considering playing as a funsies team)? The words all escape me. That tactic is legit btw, chuck star, Gold Mode then tag in Dante for fun.

Felicia doing work against the same team?

After a certain point I started to chuckle doing the Mike Ross "Noooooooooo..!" when I'd get guard canceled by your Strider and he'd run it back with the quickness. Your Dante I feel like I can hang with more (maybe because I play him most) but I still need to learn which projectiles to go with versus the more agile types. I also would love to know how you are able to do those confirms online when I can't do a simple Volcano pickup.

Final 3 or so matches: I can't fight my own team LOL. Only tech I'm happy to say I used in those matches was to avoid the Focus unblockable when it's done with Jam Session using a pushblock the moment the Focus reaches max charge. Staying in the air from that momentum saved me from so much. Also, I like how the second match was opened up with you using EX Seismo as soon as I thought you'd poke me with a regular Thunder Knuckle a la match 1 to which I was countering with EX Thunder Knuckle. The next match was even more hilarious when I went and said fuck it and did an EX Seismo to your EX Seismo which hit you over me.

God I wish some of these matches were recorded. So much dumb (especially as I started getting tired towards the end), but so much fun.

smurfx

get some go again
omg just had the funnest ft5 with masta cj i've ever had. one game had a hilarious ending. haggar and his doctor strange were down to the last pixel and we both didn't have any meter left. it was basically a rush to get the first chip damage down. i was doing my L hoodlum launcher like crazy and he was throwing out projectiles like crazy. in the end i did hoodlum launcher and he teleported at the wrong time and it gave me enough time to air throw him.

Frantic

Frantic, I swear I have the most fun with Marvel playing you. :lol
Haha, thanks. Playing you was a nice way to wind down after Smurf. Playing smurf is stressful because I have an extreme phobia of Lariats and Pipes.

After a certain point I started to chuckle doing the Mike Ross "Noooooooooo..!" when I'd get guard canceled by your Strider and he'd run it back with the quickness.
I've gotten good at XF3 comebacks with Strider. All I need is one hit, and then it's usually over. No one can block Bomb x3 into teleport, haha.

Your Dante I feel like I can hang with more (maybe because I play him most) but I still need to learn which projectiles to go with versus the more agile types. I also would love to know how you are able to do those confirms online when I can't do a simple Volcano pickup.
Lots and lots of practice. I still drop waaaay too many confirms that would lead to damage, and it's one of the weakest parts of my game(the others being airthrows and a tendency to push buttons in an attempt to punish something that I probably should just block). I also drop combos like OMG iTz Andre, though that I partially blame on it being online. Some of Dante's combos are finicky as it is, throwing in input delay just makes it worse.

Final 3 or so matches: I can't fight my own team LOL. Only tech I'm happy to say I used in those matches was to avoid the Focus unblockable when it's done with Jam Session using a pushblock the moment the Focus reaches max charge. Staying in the air from that momentum saved me from so much. Also, I like how the second match was opened up with you using EX Seismo as soon as I thought you'd poke me with a regular Thunder Knuckle a la match 1 to which I was countering with EX Thunder Knuckle. The next match was even more hilarious when I went and said fuck it and did an EX Seismo to your EX Seismo which hit you over me.
I went ham with Viper and it worked out somehow. Also, the EX Seismo vs EX Seismo made me burst out laughing. I was almost expecting nothing to happen to either of us, but I guess I executed mine a frame earlier or something.

God I wish some of these matches were recorded. So much dumb (especially as I started getting tired towards the end), but so much fun.
Next time we play, I can see if I can record them. I might be able to.

SolarKnight said:
Frantic, are you still up for matches or are you all drained from fighting Smurf and Jeri?
Currently tired, hungry and drained. Sorry.

Nope.

Edit: Also, I used Vergil again, and I found him more enjoyable than I did last time I played him. I think it's partially because I was playing more footsies instead of waiting for Round Trip opportunities. I also spent a lot more time in Devil Trigger, which is fun.

Is Rapid Slash really -3 on block in Devil Trigger? It feels safe. If I mash f.H after recovering, I don't get a throw, which suggests that I am recovering first. I've also caught lots of people with s.L after Rapid Slash, and...that shouldn't be happening. Thoughts, Vergil players?

I am messing with the following teams right now, and kind of enjoying all of them in some way:
Wesker/Dormammu/Morrigan
Skrull/Dormammu/Morrigan
Vergil/Dormammu/Morrigan
Morrigan/Dormammu/Strider
Deadpool/Dormammu/Morrigan
Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan

The Wesker, Vergil, and Deadpool teams seem the strongest.

Edit: And a silly thing I never checked: does Devil Trigger insta-charge Round Trip like Spiral Swords does?
I'd assume that rapid slash has wildly varying frame data based on how it hits.

Frantic

pretty good zoning with dante frantic. the best i've seen on xbox live.
Thanks. It's an underrated aspect of Dante's game. Also the only way I'll fight Haggar, because I refuse to run right into a Lariat(which I did anyways, but whatever). Your Haggar is a force to be reckoned with these days.

Nert

Thanks for the games, SolarKnight! I would have stayed on longer but I should probably get some good sleep before GAF's pub crawl in L.A. tomorrow. Your Rocket Raccoon was much more advanced than I ever got mine and I was surprised by how many happy birthdays you were able to pull off with him (although I did call Arthur too liberally with my zoning team). My neutral game with Deadpool and Doctor Strange continues to be bad, but they can get at least get a lot of damage from chip.

Azure J

Haha, thanks. Playing you was a nice way to wind down after Smurf. Playing smurf is stressful because I have an extreme phobia of Lariats and Pipes.

You aren't the only one terrified of the mayor. *cringes*

Funny thing is, I feel like I know what should be done now after watching my brother play Smurf earlier. I don't know if they're habits or baits for me to go deeper down the rabbit hole trying to beat you Smurf, but there are one or two things I definitely need to try in the next set.

I've gotten good at XF3 comebacks with Strider. All I need is one hit, and then it's usually over. No one can block Bomb x3 into teleport, haha.

You know what's interesting? I actually can deal with up to mixup #4 from an XF3 Strider, but you'll never guess what gets me in the end. His c.L. I hate when I land from blocking the mixup with all that visual info on screen and Strider's all "my big toe is better than yours!" :lol

Lots and lots of practice. I still drop waaaay too many confirms that would lead to damage, and it's one of the weakest parts of my game(the others being airthrows and a tendency to push buttons in an attempt to punish something that I probably should just block). I also drop combos like OMG iTz Andre, though that I partially blame on it being online. Some of Dante's combos are finicky as it is, throwing in input delay just makes it worse.

I feel 100% ok in saying it is input delay now after playing a long set with a friend from SRK right after you. I was hitting my Volcano followup and almost got some real fanciness started with a midscreen triple Acid Rain, but I suck and fatigue doesn't help matters much. Drops were rampant. :lol

I went ham with Viper and it worked out somehow. Also, the EX Seismo vs EX Seismo made me burst out laughing. I was almost expecting nothing to happen to either of us, but I guess I executed mine a frame earlier or something.

That shit was poetic. I also can't understand sometimes when people say Viper is an excellent defensive character yet everything says she should be in people's faces not respecting anything.

Next time we play, I can see if I can record them. I might be able to.

Cool. Don't overwork yourself if you don't have to though.

Thanks. It's an underrated aspect of Dante's game. Also the only way I'll fight Haggar, because I refuse to run right into a Lariat(which I did anyways, but whatever). Your Haggar is a force to be reckoned with these days.

Smurf has an intense mastery of Haggar. Some shit he does with him makes me wonder if he's meant to be like that. I definitely scratched pipe toss off the list of buffs he needs. Like he needs something that high priority... :lol

I need to learn how to get the fuck away from him when he wants that opening grab... >.>

rocket raccoons origins.

Fucking. Saved.

Just posting to say this is far and away the best Marvel thread on the internet.

FAR AND AWAY. <3 Marvel-GAF.

Canada Cup in 6 days -- can't wait to head to Namek and bust some heads.

Frantic

You aren't the only one terrified of the mayor. *cringes*

Funny thing is, I feel like I know what should be done now after watching my brother play Smurf earlier. I don't know if they're habits or baits for me to go deeper down the rabbit hole trying to beat you Smurf, but there are one or two things I definitely need to try in the next set.
I'm fairly good at fighting Haggar, and I generally win the matchup in most cases, but it's been a long time since I've played smurf so I don't know how to beat his Haggar... he's waaay more patient than most players, so catching him making a mistake is harder than I'm used to. XD

I need to learn how to get the fuck away from him when he wants that opening grab... >.>
Hold up back as soon as possible and double jump. It generally gives you enough space to avoid the throw range, but you still have to worry about the pipe.

I'll be rooting for you. I want people to fear Peter Parker the same way I have! :p

You just realized that?

Thinking about Shuma makes me sad, like finding a toy that belonged to an old friend that got hit by a bus then committed suicide after losing his mortgage.

Just posting to say this is far and away the best Marvel thread on the internet.

FAR AND AWAY. <3 Marvel-GAF.

Go Go GAF Spider!

onionfrog

Props to The Cape at SRK that figured out this way to use Nemesis to level up Frank to level 4 from Nem's command grab:

Look at the damage!
This is pretty cool and makes me wonder if you can do any raw tag combos in general off nemesis' command grab. I'm gonna have to check this out next time I get a chance to mess around in training mode.

LakeEarth

You can definitely command grab, and hard tag Doom or Dante into combo. The command grab doesn't scale too bad, so the hard tag isn't absolutely crucial.

Top Bottom