• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

My dick is harder.

Y'all don't even know.
Q4lz6.gif

Azure J

just found it. The guy only airdash Hs and either wins with that or basically loses.

Yeah, it wasn't a good showing on the other person's part (to test the limits on him just jumping all over) but I definitely think that missiles give Dante some freedom to push his 8 frame buttons more often.

mr. puppy

Banned
Yeah, it wasn't a good showing on the other person's part (to test the limits on him just jumping all over) but I definitely think that missiles give Dante some freedom to push his 8 frame buttons more often.

yea i guess.

Everytime I try to make a Phoenix team I just look at it for about 30 minutes and go "I can't think of a single reason why Phoenix is better than Strider on this team". Sigh.

Azure J

yea i guess.

Everytime I try to make a Phoenix team I just look at it for about 30 minutes and go "I can't think of a single reason why Phoenix is better than Strider on this team". Sigh.

I know exactly what you mean. It's even worse for me though since I really like playing Jean but then I put in Zero/Dante/Phoenix (my current defacto Phoenix theory team) only to get like 3 matches in and go "...why am I not rolling with Strider?"

It also helps that I actually really like playing Strider. His oki games with Tiger are just too much fun.

Azure J

Someone teach me the basics to Hsien-Ko, she's officially my 4th x/Dante/Strider team config when I wanna screw around. I just perfected someone on ranked because my Item Toss luck is too good.

Dahbomb

Someone teach me the basics to Hsien-Ko, she's officially my 4th x/Dante/Strider team config when I wanna screw around. I just perfected someone on ranked because my Item Toss luck is too good.
1) Get 2 meters

2) Get armor up

3) Switch characters and use gold armor assist

4) Profit

ClarinetLei.jpg

If she can get in, she's actually pretty good. Senpu Bu can't be pushblocked, and her ground dash can be interrupted at any time even though she's invincible once it starts. Only use her air dash to get instant overheads (jump, dash, j.MM).

Watch some LLND videos to get her general flow of play down.

Master her f.H and f.M moves. They have better reach than sword characters.

Resets with Nova/Spencer? That don't make no sense.

also, what happens when someone breaks Hsien's TAC with rimoukon on?
The opponent falls to the ground as per the norm, unable to do anything until touching the ground, and Hsien-ko can act as normal. She basically gets a free mix-up on the opponent.

Who would make a good third for Nemesis/Strange? I'm thinking Wesker, just because he's Wesker and he'd help Nemesis out, but I dunno.
Assuming that's your team order, and you're looking for an anchor, Strange absolutely needs an assist that lets him maintain space or create mix-ups.

The opponent falls to the ground as per the norm, unable to do anything until touching the ground, and Hsien-ko can act as normal. She basically gets a free mix-up on the opponent.
Same as Zero, right?

Hmm... help me fill these out here guys.

TAC team structure -

Point(characters that benefit from going for TACs/can get TACs easily/can TAC after a corner carry combo)
Zero
Morrigan
Magneto
Hsien Ko

Support(characters with easy TAC infinites that also support the point character/benefit from TACs)
Doom
Dante
Frank West
Sentinel

Anchor(characters that benefit dramatically from TACs)
X-23
Phoenix

• Point characters with power-up hypers that work on tag out get to power up for free
  • Characters with strong TAC-bait resets benefit
  • It's entirely possible that there are TAC infinites that can only be started in some sort of altered state(ammy slow down), that would be created for free
  • Any and all meter usage before and to get to the TAC is free
  • There must be any number of raw tag/assist + hyper set ups that create new TAC opportunities.
  • point character's damage does not matter

The best TAC team right now is unquestionably Zero/Dante/X-23.

FSLink

Banned
Who would make a good third for Nemesis/Strange? I'm thinking Wesker, just because he's Wesker and he'd help Nemesis out, but I dunno.

I'd say Doom (of course, missiles are always great, same with beam) or Frank West for the THC level up shenanigans with Nemesis, and he's a pretty good assist for Strange too.

I'm leaning toward using Ghost Rider / Iron Man (Repulsar Blast) / Sentinel (Sentinel Force) for my Ghost Rider team. I think this lets Ghost Rider do s.S + Repulsar Blast, which means he now has a vicious and huge anti-air against tridashers, and he can s.H without having to worry about tridashers as well. b.H puts up a wall that gets Sentinel Force on the screen to give you screen presence to wavedash behind. Both assists have little gaps in them against ducking opponents to let you land his level 3. Of course, Iron Man and Sentinel are a wonderful team. Both assists come with the bonus that they protect Ghost Rider from teleporters.

mr. puppy

Banned
Viscant proposes a challenge in the phoenix forums (I'm trying to figure out reasons to put her on any team in this game and found this question series):

So here's a situation and a question for the scientists in this thread.
Situation. Jean gets snapped in. You have all 3 characters available so level 1 x-factor. You are 100000000000% certain they are going to do something right in your face for the snap mixup. Wolverine dive kick + Sentinel. Nova airdash in H looking to create a guard break + Sentinel. Spencer jump H xx zipline + Sentinel. Magneto airdash in H + late Doom call. Etc. Everyone here plays Phoenix you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Incoming Phoenix rage beats all of these. So here's the question: what's the best combo you can get off of incoming rage xx XFC level 1? Meter is not a concern; by burning level 1 XF you're now no longer playing for DP anyways, it's nuking time. If you can get to 950 this is now 100% worth it. I just can't get to 950 myself. Show me what you got!

--Jay Snyder
Viscant@aol.com

Adding to the above, looking for damage while still holding 2 characters. You can approach 1 million by doing incoming phoenix rage xfc teleport M. Low H, launch, MMH, down+H, stand H, launch, BBCS, TK light fireball, H overdrive xx Phoenix Rage. The problem with that combo is that if you're trying to hold Mag/Nova/Wolv/Spencer + Sentinel, the point character will bounce high and the assist will stay low. Plus the weights complicate things.

The main solution I'm using for the problem is using a normal to hold the assist up (low M), then doing an L overdrive to time the point character falling. The problem with that is that it sucks away damage and ramps up hitstun and it's not an easy conversion.

Anyways, just curious to see what people come up with.

--Jay Snyder
Viscant@aol.com

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This is sexy stuff, especially in the second video. Paging Nils.

Looks like I need to put in some work. Wish the video was a bit better quality but still, the actual content looks ace.

Dahbomb

Schneider will never give up on the bird.

But I like where he is going with this. Getting to escape an incoming mix up while also taking out 1 maybe 2 characters is nothing to sneeze at. Seems really last resort though, I don't prescribe to Phoenix burning X factor that early unless the character caught is Vergil.

Any thoughts on how good the various teams felt? My Wesker is still not very good, but I've only used him for two days. It's funny how much you can know about a character without using him just because you watch how he's used so much.

Any time you want to play random teams, I can mess with a non-main team to even things out. I'd like to learn Ghost Rider.
Can you jog my memory? It all went by so fast that I can't recall team configs. We'll see about randoms. I only really play on the weekends now and I'm trying to use my time for the games I've decided to main. VSav tournies on the weekends combined with the weekly Skullgirls play for footage is already a bit busy. Add on BB if it ever comes back and GG and there is no time for anything else. We shall see...

Azure J

Loving that Jean breakdown/challenge Viscant's proposed there. There have been many times against "just do it" and strong snap/incoming mix ups where I've proceeded to hit them with Phoenix Rage and go right into the XFC combo just because that super is an excellent and underrated incoming gambit. When she builds all that meter back and then some while still remaining potent except in the case of the other team possessing Dark Vergil or Dark Strider, I find myself hard pressed not to attempt it, especially if it is one of the two mentioned that are initiating the welcome mix up.

@Solune:
GGs. Sorry to bail like that, my wife called and is on her way home from work.

I don't think the disconnects are due to our connections. People on the GFAQs UMvC3 forums have been complaining about PSN a lot lately. I think Sony is having server problems (for about 2 weeks now?).

I had a ton of fun with the Ghost Rider team. I'm not sure how I like that team setup, but every time I landed his level 3 it was a "fuck yeah!" moment. Ditto for Haggar's level 3.

Edit: Rhino Charge is a piece of shit.

Can you jog my memory? It all went by so fast that I can't recall team configs. We'll see about randoms. I only really play on the weekends now and I'm trying to use my time for the games I've decided to main. VSav tournies on the weekends combined with the weekly Skullgirls play for footage is already a bit busy. Add on BB if it ever comes back and GG and there is no time for anything else. We shall see...
No worries. Teams I used:
I am messing with the following teams right now, and kind of enjoying all of them in some way:
Wesker/Dormammu/Morrigan
Skrull/Dormammu/Morrigan
Vergil/Dormammu/Morrigan
Morrigan/Dormammu/Strider
Deadpool/Dormammu/Morrigan
Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan

Zissou

Does anybody know off-hand- how much damage does DHCing into spiral swords add to your combo roughly (assuming your at mac damage scaling already), both having and not having used your ground bounce, and how much damage is tacked on for each additional bar spent?

Solune

@Solune:
GGs. Sorry to bail like that, my wife called and is on her way home from work.

I don't think the disconnects are due to our connections. People on the GFAQs UMvC3 forums have been complaining about PSN a lot lately. I think Sony is having server problems (for about 2 weeks now?).

I had a ton of fun with the Ghost Rider team. I'm not sure how I like that team setup, but every time I landed his level 3 it was a "fuck yeah!" moment. Ditto for Haggar's level 3.

Edit: Rhino Charge is a piece of shit.
No worries, I had ALOT of fun using that makeshift Akuma team. Was having trouble when you subbed in Iron Man for Haggar. I think i got hit by way too many level 3s but I smirked whenever I got a Wesker command throw off.

And yah Rhino Charge is pretty bad. Should go back to Vanilla!
Does anybody know off-hand- how much damage does DHCing into spiral swords add to your combo roughly (assuming your at mac damage scaling already), both having and not having used your ground bounce, and how much damage is tacked on for each additional bar spent?

It's 250k using 1 meter and ending with Lunar Phase. You can add on another 50k if your ground bounce is not used. It's 200k per meter spent.

No worries, I had ALOT of fun using that makeshift Akuma team. Was having trouble when you subbed in Iron Man for Haggar. I think i got hit by way too many level 3s but I smirked whenever I got a Wesker command throw off.
I had to get used to jumping vs. XF3 Wesker. It's suicide for Dormammu, which is why I superjump and float around for a bit. I haven't played a team of characters without air dashes in a loooong time.

I kept getting hit by the Akuma/IF mix-up because I kept thinking that maybe, this time, the pipe would win...it never did, but I wanted it to, damn it!

Also, after playing about 50 matches with Ghost Rider, I have a much stronger feeling of his pros and cons. I definitely see a need for an anti-air not because he can't cover the air, but it just doesn't lead to anything. Sometimes I'd hit Akuma with 5-10 j.Hs and you were still around! Then I'd mess up once and die. So, it seems clear to me that Ghost Rider should only be leaving the ground for j.S.

Also, ironically, Ghost Rider is a huge meter builder, but he doesn't have a way to discourage assist punishes. So, I'd build up 3 bars through blockstrings, you'd have 2, and Akuma would beam XFC beam Sentinel. That couldn't really be helped because Ghost Rider needs assists to get in, so there's lesson 2.

Ghost Rider's chain hyper is a piece of crap. I feel like it does no damage at all, so I started going for resets instead (I use the term reset lightly with Ghost Rider...) and saving my meter for the level 3, which I think was a good idea. I think it might be less awful if I had a good team THC for him to burn meter on.

While you were using Iron Fist, I realized that Ghost Rider really had no use for the Double Lariat when played properly past the first few seconds of the match. He's really hard to get in on. Double Lariat was a good assist for him, but I feel confident that there are better options for Ghost Rider.

I kept Sentinel Force in the game simply because I have a decent Sentinel, and I obviously needed XF2 Sentinel to close out a lot of matches. I felt I did pretty well for using 2/3 characters for the first time, though!

Next time I think I will mess with Ghost Rider / Shuma-Gorath / Dr. Strange. Mystic Ray covers the air and lets me make anti-air guesses with Ghost Rider without dying (I really value this, especially against Dante), and Dr. Strange's beam is good for both characters for its own reasons. Really, I felt like I would have won a lot more of those matches if s.HH, dp.L didn't whiff on hit against a crouching character (W T F), and if I had a way to hit confirm off a j.S with an assist. Sentinel Force rarely arrived in time to turn the hit into a combo. Sometimes I'd hit you with 4 j.S's in a row and be thinking "I need a new assist to turn these into combos damn it!"

Also, Ghost Rider's chain assist is badass.

Darksim

Depends on if you're in the corner or not.

With both bounces in the corner, by looking at my videos and doing a little math I got 298.1K post dhc. Without bounces it drops to 188.1K post dhc.

Each further rep adds 191.6K.

RayRay spitting general knowledge: http://www.twitch.tv/bum1six3

"The only way you can tell if someone is good at this game is by playing them in like, 40 games. And that's why this game is terrible." - RayRay

"Yipes is a completely different player in his house than everywhere else. I guarantee that after you play him, you'll change your team or quit the game." - RayRay

Zissou

It's 250k using 1 meter and ending with Lunar Phase. You can add on another 50k if your ground bounce is not used. It's 200k per meter spent.

Depends on if you're in the corner or not.

With both bounces in the corner, by looking at my videos and doing a little math I got 298.1K post dhc. Without bounces it drops to 188.1K post dhc.

Each further rep adds 191.6K.

Thanks for the calculations.

"The only way you can tell if someone is good at this game is by playing them in like, 40 games. And that's why this game is terrible." - RayRay

"Yipes is a completely different player in his house than everywhere else. I guarantee that after you play him, you'll change your team or quit the game." - RayRay

I really want to see footage of shin-yipes.

Caj814

Yum! Two questions:
1) Why only one jump loop after the throw? The rest of your combo seems pretty HSD-proof.
2) How did you get two Eye of Agamotto's on the screen?

1. Unfortunately hitstun decay did have a factor whenever I did 2 jump loops before the first Stalking Flare into Inferno. It ended up giving me very random meter return or whiffs, so I did an omission and it came out a lot more consistently. You need a very slight pause after the first Stalking Flare extinguishes to get anywhere from 70-80% meter return from Inferno.

2. Since the DHC rearranged the team order, Dante and Strange also switched assist availability. So the game pretty much thinks Strange is Dante now since I never used his assist earlier in the combo.

1. Unfortunately hitstun decay did have a factor whenever I did 2 jump loops before the first Stalking Flare into Inferno. It ended up giving me very random meter return or whiffs, so I did an omission and it came out a lot more consistently. You need a very slight pause after the first Stalking Flare extinguishes to get anywhere from 70-80% meter return from Inferno.

2. Since the DHC rearranged the team order, Dante and Strange also switched assist availability. So the game pretty much thinks Strange is Dante now since I never used his assist earlier in the combo.
:-O at 2. That has no application for my team (damn it), but it's awesome.

There aren't many videos responding to the main one. I hope more people participate in this so we get a good compilation.

Edit: I've seen two other Chris/Dante/Strider teams this week. Did all Chris players have a secret meeting or something?

Zissou

:-O at 2. That has no application for my team (damn it), but it's awesome.

There aren't many videos responding to the main one. I hope more people participate in this so we get a good compilation.

Edit: I've seen two other Chris/Dante/Strider teams this week. Did all Chris players have a secret meeting or something?

Makes sense- Chris has a lot of screen control but has a huge deadzone that strider assist deals with really well. I imagine with good timing chris can confirm into a good chunk of damage off of full screen strider hits as well. Vajra is always the go-to assist when your character can fill 75% of the screen with shit but has trouble with the last quarter.

Bizazedo

The first is a bad analogy or else every sport / competition sucks. Anytime an underdog wins....

If you stretch it out long enough, the underdog usually loses.

That and the ability to adapt quickly is a skill.

/oldman rant about how people don't know what they want..

Top Bottom