• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

FSLink

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";61103377]Anybody around?[/QUOTE]

I'm around if you want to try getting some games in, though last time we tried it wouldn't connect.

FSLink

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";61104357]Ok logging on[/QUOTE]

Derp can't believe I missed that Vergil bnb combo against Phoenix costing me the match.

It's funny because if I get away from the incoming mixup, vanilla Phoenix has the best neutral game against Nova/Strange on my team. I just have to keep guessing the assist calls with Wesker because the Magneto assist beats it but if I miss you're in instantly.

FSLink

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";61115693]It's funny because if I get away from the incoming mixup, vanilla Phoenix has the best neutral game against Nova/Strange on my team. I just have to keep guessing the assist calls with Wesker because the Magneto assist beats it but if I miss you're in instantly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I tried to keep the Magneto assist in mind and kept delaying the Strange call. I usually don't fight people who use Magneto so it was fun trying to deal with his assist.

Also man, I think besides my Wright teams I have the most fun with Marvel while using Dante (I've been learning Dante/Vergil/Magneto, Strider and Dante/Wesker/Magneto). Gonna be trying to level him up even more in the upcoming weeks. :)

Yeah, Magneto beats every assist in the game at mid range at the beginning of the match. Wesker is just terrible at dealing with Nova/Strange. My Hawkeye team probably would have done better, I dunno. Hawkeye gets rocked by teleporters though if you switch back. So much guessing and using his secondary tools. Then again, Wesker beats Dante but loses to Vergil, Magneto beats Vergil and Zero but loses to Dante. Kinda.

aren't you in OC? we should meetup for an irl session.

I live 5 minutes away from UCI. If anything we could run an offline session at the ranbats. It's just hard to dedicate time during the work week for this game.

Edit: I got your invitation earlier. I didn't take it because I was already in another player match. Next time!

Frantic

I've been using Bold Move a lot in neutral recently. Stuff like dash up s.H > Bold Move while backed by an assist to retain offense, and be a bit more safe on whiff. Doing this as often as I have been, I've managed to Bold Block a grand total of five normals that would have punished me otherwise so far by doing this. A couple of the ones I blocked were actually Wolverine's s.L and Haggar's Pipe. Feels good
though I'm sure it doesn't feel good for them!

Also, I'm trying to learn a plink method of Bold Move to block supers that have a post start up longer than four frames. I've sorta got an idea of when to push the buttons, and I've managed to Bold Block Haggar's Rapid Fire Fist a couple times in real matches. Anything faster than +5/6 are a pain in the ass, though. Getting there, though. I will one day be able to play a near-perfect 'Theory Dante'. One day.

Azure J

Frantic, have you tried adding/buffering an Air Play after that s.H + Assist - Bold Move block string? If you could time it right, I wouldn't be surprised if when not pushblocked, it could lead to the latter half of Dante's delayed double overhead setup (IAD j.H xx Air Play - j.L).

Frantic

Frantic, have you tried adding/buffering an Air Play after that s.H + Assist - Bold Move block string? If you could time it right, I wouldn't be surprised if when not pushblocked, it could lead to the latter half of Dante's delayed double overhead setup (IAD j.H xx Air Play - j.L).
I generally go for backwards airdash j.H after the Bold Move, simply because there is generally enough time to react to the Bold Move and airthrow Dante if he does anything else and the assist doesn't hit at the right time. A backwards airdash j.H after a Bold Move like that is unairthrowable/unpunishable with anything but an invincible super of sorts.

There are a lot of things that can be done off a Bold Move like that, but I generally go for the safest options that still allow me to retain pressure.

Azure J

Cool.

I want to go into the lab and mess around some, but my pad has been fucked up to the point where now when I hold back the character stays in place or continues moving forward. It's horrible. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Complete UMvC3 Tier List by Justin Wong.

Now featuring all the Marvel side too.

S+ Morrigan
S+ Vergil
S+ Zero
S Dr. Doom
S Magneto
S- C. Viper
S- Phoenix
S- Spencer
S- Wolverine
A+ Amaterasu
A+ Dormammu
A+ Firebrand
A+ Frank West
A+ MODOK
A+ Nova
A+ Strider
A+ X-23
A Dante
A Hawkeye
A Super-Skrull
A Taskmaster
A Viewtiful Joe
A Wesker
A- Dr. Strange
B+ Akuma
B+ Chris Redfield
B+ Hulk
B+ Spider-man
B Felicia
B Haggar
B Jill
B Rocket Raccoon
B She-Hulk
B Shuma-Gorath
B Storm
B Trish
B- Captain America
B- Deadpool
B- Iron Man
B- Ryu
B- Sentinel
C+ Chun-Li
C+ Ghost Rider
C+ Iron Fist
C+ Thor
C Arthur
C Nemesis
C Tron Bonne
C- Phoenix Wright
D Hsien-Ko

I live 5 minutes away from UCI. If anything we could run an offline session at the ranbats. It's just hard to dedicate time during the work week for this game.

Edit: I got your invitation earlier. I didn't take it because I was already in another player match. Next time!

cool, i live in irvine but a little further away from campus. yeah, i haven't had much time to play at all these past couple of weeks. though i haven't been to a uci session (ranbat or casual) in many months, but i'm down to show up to one if you plan on going.

no worries about the player match, i ended up playing some blops2 after i couldnt find another match.

Vice

Stock 360 pad.

Dante is seriously slept on. No one with as much as he has should be sitting anywhere outside of A+ at the least.

Most top players don't want to put in work. The first few months of Dante are ugly and rough but the first day of Vergil is S tier.

Complete UMvC3 Tier List by Justin Wong.

Now featuring all the Marvel side too.

S+ Morrigan
S+ Vergil
S+ Zero
S Dr. Doom
S Magneto
S- C. Viper
S- Phoenix
S- Spencer
S- Wolverine
A+ Amaterasu
A+ Dormammu
A+ Firebrand
A+ Frank West
A+ MODOK
A+ Nova
A+ Strider
A+ X-23
A Dante
A Hawkeye
A Super-Skrull
A Taskmaster
A Viewtiful Joe
A Wesker
A- Dr. Strange
B+ Akuma
B+ Chris Redfield
B+ Hulk
B+ Spider-man
B Felicia
B Haggar
B Jill
B Rocket Raccoon
B She-Hulk
B Shuma-Gorath
B Storm
B Trish
B- Captain America
B- Deadpool
B- Iron Man
B- Ryu
B- Sentinel
C+ Chun-Li
C+ Ghost Rider
C+ Iron Fist
C+ Thor
C Arthur
C Nemesis
C Tron Bonne
C- Phoenix Wright
D Hsien-Ko

Cap on the bottom half of his tier list? Not sure how I feel about that...

I'll always be a proponent for Cap being a sleeper character.

Stock 360 pad.

Dante is seriously slept on. No one with as much as he has should be sitting anywhere outside of A+ at the least.
I've had so many 360 controllers go to shit on me. Thank goodness for Gamestop's used policy

And I think a ton of characters are slept on simply because Vergil exists.

Captain, Deadpool and maybe Rocky are the only ones that raise a *tiny* eyebrow from me (shoutouts to optimized teams -- the best Rogers teams don't care about theory/setups), but that said, still pretty good. Anything else is nitpicks for me.

Single character lists in team game is still a thing all its own though, so eh.

Captain, Deadpool and maybe Rocky are the only ones that raise a *tiny* eyebrow from me (shoutouts to optimized teams -- the best Rogers teams don't care about theory/setups), but that said, still pretty good. Anything else is nitpicks for me.

Tell me more about these "best Rogers teams"...

If it is an individual character list then I'm not sure how the hell Morrigan is at the top. Without Doom she is quite a bit lower. Perhaps it's a list stating a characters tier with an optimal team.

I don't think I'm gonna go to EVO this year after all, Sasa. Sunday's all sold out :-(

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";61357545]I don't think I'm gonna go to EVO this year after all, Sasa. Sunday's all sold out :-([/QUOTE]
Wait what? I fully intended to go. How the fuck do they sell out? Sell out of what? What!? I'm scared now.

EDIT: Yeah I just read that I can still compete but I won't have access to the Alpha hall on Sunday. This is actually quite discouraging. I'm really fucking bummed out. I was planning on buying my shit this weekend :-(

Guess I learned my lesson for next year.

FSLink

Banned
Wait what? I fully intended to go. How the fuck do they sell out? Sell out of what? What!? I'm scared now.

EDIT: Yeah I just read that I can still compete but I won't have access to the Alpha hall on Sunday. This is actually quite discouraging. I'm really fucking bummed out. I was planning on buying my shit this weekend :-(

Guess I learned my lesson for next year.

Well if you get top 8 you can be in the Alpha Hall on Sunday! :lol

But yeah, this kinda sucks. I was gonna go with a bunch of old friends (I'm from Vegas) and check out EVO finals with them but I guess we'll be streaming it instead. :p

I think the actual comment was: "Hsien-ko?...that's never good." It makes me wonder why Seth didn't make her better, though. When Niitsuma was asked why Jill got nerfed in Ultimate, his response was "When Seth Killian told us to change something, we just did it - I don't know why." I'm curious to know how Hsien-ko discussions went.

Anyway, I'm at a public library on a CPU, and I just wanted to post in response to someone who asked whether Firebrand/Skrull/Shuma-Gorath was a good team. Yes, this is a very good team, but it should be Firebrand/Shuma-Gorath/Skrull. This is because Skrull is an S tier XF3 character, but Shuma-Gorath is not. With Firebrand/Skrull/Shuma-Gorath, you have to potentially blow XF2 to keep Skrull safe. It's better to risk the incoming mix-up on Shuma-Gorath and then DHC Skrull in safetly through Hyper Mystic Smash. Firebrand won't be DHCing to anyone anyway, so the order only matters for comeback purposes. You'll want to kill characters with THCs if you don't want to go for another snapback into an unblockable and need more than one bar of meter. This team is probably better than mine. I only have Dormammu second because I need Stalking Flare DHCs for unblockables.

Smedwicks: stuff that covers his holes and one hit kills. Rogers has pretty decent hitboxes and mixing it up makes sure he has that "why would he do that" edge to him. Should always die if getting touched by the Captain. Most importantly, it's hard to find a situation where you're not one bad projectile away from getting killed by him. Just have to look for or create that one flinch/opening.

Justin's lack of Stark and (I think Dick Rider/Taxmasta?) in that list is notable, can't remember exactly who he put and too lazy to click right now, haha.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";61357545]I don't think I'm gonna go to EVO this year after all, Sasa. Sunday's all sold out :-([/QUOTE]

Noooooo. Ah well, not much that can be done about that. Don't know how much I'll be in there to be honest, want to focus on Vegas this time around anyway, staying at PH instead of Paris, etc.

I bought a competition pass for Marvel but we'll see what happens, I'm pretty butt right now anyway. Not gonna bother with MMs at all. Probably just gonna play a bit of spoiler, cheer on the actual good players left from here and go out on the town.

Smedwicks: stuff that covers his holes and one hit kills. Rogers has pretty decent hitboxes and mixing it up makes sure he has that "why would he do that" edge to him. Should always die if getting touched by the Captain. Most importantly, it's hard to find a situation where you're not one bad projectile away from getting killed by him. Just have to look for or create that one flinch/opening.

Justin's lack of Stark and (I think Dick Rider/Taxmasta?) in that list is notable, can't remember exactly who he put and too lazy to click right now, haha.

Noooooo. Ah well, not much that can be done about that. Don't know how much I'll be in there to be honest, want to focus on Vegas this time around anyway, staying at PH instead of Paris, etc.

I bought a competition pass for Marvel but we'll see what happens, I'm pretty butt right now anyway. Not gonna bother with MMs at all. Probably just gonna play a bit of spoiler, cheer on the actual good players left from here and go out on the town.

Cap(Charging Star)/Vergil(SS)/Doom(Missles)
This youtube page should give you some ideas

Top Bottom