• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Smedwicks: stuff that covers his holes and one hit kills. Rogers has pretty decent hitboxes and mixing it up makes sure he has that "why would he do that" edge to him. Should always die if getting touched by the Captain. Most importantly, it's hard to find a situation where you're not one bad projectile away from getting killed by him. Just have to look for or create that one flinch/opening.

I'm mostly just curious on others' thoughts about good Cap teams because I'm running a whole slew of different Cap teams at the moment that have all, at least to some degree, proven to be pretty good.

I'm mostly just curious on others' thoughts about good Cap teams because I'm running a whole slew of different Cap teams at the moment that have all, at least to some degree, proven to be pretty good.

I've seen Cap & Sent as a good combo. Valle uses Cap with Strider assist well too. Doom goes with everything.
I think Cap/Vergil/Doom is awesome. Beam or missles and DHC touch of death.

There is a Cap/IM/Sent team that kicks my ass here. Many people here do that so it is not saying much, but still, Cap does do well with them.

Kioshen

The day someone picks that team up competitively is the day Cap gets moved up several tiers on everyone's lists. This game's meta is still so young.

Condor Missile (Top JP online player) was using that team and he was wreaking people up with it. Been a long while since I've heard of him though.

Condor Missile (Top JP online player) was using that team and he was wreaking people up with it. Been a long while since I've heard of him though.
How do you think I know about it? ;)

You think that's the best Cap team, Karst?
Potentially. Cap + Iron Man is a must, but folks could try other anchors out like Doom, Vergil, Strider, and RR. You would probably put IM second and DHC the anchor safely for most of those. All of them love Unibeam.

Potentially. Cap + Iron Man is a must, but folks could try other anchors out like Doom, Vergil, Strider, and RR. You would probably put IM second and DHC the anchor safely for most of those. All of them love Unibeam.

Maybe I should try and learn it from Evo then... it could probably be a step up from any of my three current Cap teams... though Iron Man would probably be more difficult to learn in such a short span of time...

Especially in comparison to Nova, Doom, or Ammy.

Vice

Cap/taskmaster/doom is godlike. Task's arrows make Cap's unsafe specials like charging stars safe on block. Missiles for extensions, neutral and TOD combos.

Cap/Doom/Strider is pretty good. Doom can use either beam or missile depending on the matchup. Strider fills in some of the Captain's gaps in screen coverage.

Cap/taskmaster/doom is godlike. Task's arrows make Cap's unsafe specials like charging stars safe on block. Missiles for extensions, neutral and TOD combos.

Cap/Doom/Strider is pretty good. Doom can use either beam or missile depending on the matchup. Strider fills in some of the Captain's gaps in screen coverage.

I've been running three teams throughout Ultimate (well, three teams I'd consider my main teams, really)

Cap/Nova/Doom, Cap/Nova/Ammy, and Cap/Doom/Ammy, which are my main ones now (the last two more so than the first at this point). I did run Cap/Nova/Task and Cap/Doom/Task before though, though my Taskmaster just never got up to snuff and I dropped him.

But Cap/Stark/Sent sounds interesting, I just have no clue if I'd be able to get it decent in such a short amount of time (not going to be able to play from the 17th to the 1st of July).

I've been running three teams throughout Ultimate (well, three teams I'd consider my main teams, really)

Cap/Nova/Doom, Cap/Nova/Ammy, and Cap/Doom/Ammy, which are my main ones now (the last two more so than the first at this point). I did run Cap/Nova/Task and Cap/Doom/Task before though, though my Taskmaster just never got up to snuff and I dropped him.

But Cap/Stark/Sent sounds interesting, I just have no clue if I'd be able to get it decent in such a short amount of time (not going to be able to play from the 17th to the 1st of July).
I only played my Firebrand team for a month before UFGT and went 4-2 on a borked stick. I think it's doable. The biggest problem you will encounter is weak matchup knowledge. Sit down and grind out all your setups. Or just replace Sentinel with Doom or something. Taskmaster arrows are good for Cap, just not nearly as good as Unibeam.

I think I'm done with missiles outside of a couple of teams. Ever since I started running teams without it, it's made me a much smarter player and it has been a lot more fun and satisfying. Not knocking anyone that does use them though.

I only played my Firebrand team for a month before UFGT and went 4-2 on a borked stick. I think it's doable. The biggest problem you will encounter is weak matchup knowledge. Sit down and grind out all your setups. Or just replace Sentinel with Doom or something. Taskmaster arrows are good for Cap, just not nearly as good as Unibeam.

The toughest part is that next week is finals week (even though in reality, I only have one test) and then I'm basically gone, and will have ten days to grind it out (more than likely by myself/facing any GAFfers/randoms online), so that's where I'm most nervous about it.

I might give it a try Friday though just to see, I've always wanted to pick up Tony, and the biggest problem would be Sentinel, which, as you said, I could always swap to Doom.

I will miss those Nova unblockables though ;_;

Edit: Also, you're probably innately better than me too, Karst :p

Dahbomb

FChamp also did Dark Hole XFC into Dark Matter teleport combo.
Despite what some people may think, I think Capcom picks who is high tier and who is low tier. The middle ground is up to the community.
Probably so or at the very least they put more effort into making certain characters good than others.

smurfx

get some go again
FChamp also did Dark Hole XFC into Dark Matter teleport combo.

Probably so or at the very least they put more effort into making certain characters good than others.
who's that one guy on the mvc team that has a major hard on for the dmc characters? he made sure the twins were at least A tier.

Neo_G. He is the combat designer of DMC3/DMC4.

Nitsuma himself is a Zero fanboy.

It definitely shows with sword guys, good thing they had the brains to not make Shuma ridiculous despite their company wide mad love for him.

I don't think it's all favourites, or else Iron Man would be much better on point (Capcom loves the guy IMO, he got a damn tribute video T_T). I do think they make an effort to make some characters better than others -- some people's general game plan and traits are just plain better than others, and not just because they're *different*.

For instance, it's like they balanced Iron Fist around "opponent goes into air = Iron Fist loses." Poor Danny :-(. But hey, if you go through three rekkas, he can use rising fang.

Definitely adds flavour to the game by having everyone different, but it'd be great if they were closer in effectiveness across the board. Huge damage and xfc helps with this more than some people would like to admit, and it's easier said than done, especially with 50 pretty unique characters across the board.

Most alike would be Ryu/Akuma or X-23/Logan, right -- and I think they have huge variation among them.

tl;dr -- Sasa is mad that characters he doesn't like are da bess.
That said, Cammy was my main girl in SFIV and I got bored of that all the same, played through to 2012 but it just got a little repetitive for me despite her having all that power.

The toughest part is that next week is finals week (even though in reality, I only have one test) and then I'm basically gone, and will have ten days to grind it out (more than likely by myself/facing any GAFfers/randoms online), so that's where I'm most nervous about it.

I might give it a try Friday though just to see, I've always wanted to pick up Tony, and the biggest problem would be Sentinel, which, as you said, I could always swap to Doom.

I will miss those Nova unblockables though ;_;

Edit: Also, you're probably innately better than me too, Karst :p
Cap/IM/Nova could work. Play it like the Vergil team. DHC Nova in safely and rely on XF2.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neo_G is also the lead combat designer for MvC3, and I believe 3rd Strike is also on his resume.

EDIT: Nevermind. Beaten like a dead horse.

I'm looking forward to seeing ChrisG's Magneto. He has an uncanny ability to just figure things out with characters.

Cap/IM/Nova could work. Play it like the Vergil team. DHC Nova in safely and rely on XF2.

Take it from me -- that's a scumbag team (in a good way). I know because I play it a bit and it's pretty funny.

I'll try that out too. Still need to work on my Nova to be more relient on ground movement like Moons tends to do. And XF2 with Nova? That could probably work well. I usually tend to use XF1 when I either get a Happy Birthday with Cap or to kill Vergil if I need that boost or to save him, basically.

I'll definitely try those out, though. If worse comes to worse I can always fall back on one of my main teams come Evo.

I run a cap/ironman/rr team. That team does major damage. If cap gets a touch its pretty much one touch death since you can extend the combo with both assists. Also, the damange for cap into Iron Man dhc is too good. RR(pendulum) is also good for Ironman block strings.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Anybody have any tips for the Dante TAC infinite? Just learning it for flashiness.

The hardest part is timing the first hit after the airdash so that it connects at the right height. After that, it's just about consistency of hitting the near-landing j.H. I've not been consistently successful at nailing it, but I also haven't bothered trying since the day it was discovered.

Yo Karst I was just playing a guy using Shuma Gorath on point backed by drones and that shit was wack. It looked like if you timed drones and mystic smash it makes it a very hard left or right mix up.

Magneto/Spencer/Doom isn't a troll team after all? So much shit going on.

800k meterless corner carry magneto starter
950k 1 bars
1200k 2 bars

resets everywhere
fullscreen kill combo conversions off of both beams

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";61724300]Magneto/Spencer/Doom isn't a troll team after all? So much shit going on.

800k meterless corner carry magneto starter
950k 1 bars
1200k 2 bars

resets everywhere
fullscreen kill combo conversions off of both beams[/QUOTE]

There's no way a team comprised of those characters would be considered a troll team.

I didn't mean that it was bad, but I thought it was a gimmick. But goddamn does the Spencer raw tag off of hyper grav unlock damage.

edit: WHY IS STRANGE'S RAW TAG SO ASSSSSSSSSSsssssssss

Top Bottom