• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Motherfuck this games network at times. GG's beef. It's a bit different playing on PS3. I was raging so damn hard though.....fuck the PS3 controller to hell. That's only the second time I've used it and I think I'm already over that shit. I couldn't block shit and couldn't execute worth a damn. I really need my stick back :(

Motherfuck this games network at times. GG's beef. It's a bit different playing on PS3. I was raging so damn hard though.....fuck the PS3 controller to hell. That's only the second time I've used it and I think I'm already over that shit. I couldn't block shit and couldn't execute worth a damn. I really need my stick back :(

GGs. I tried to play some more Ranked games, but the games kept dropping.

Nitsuma da gawd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";62182601]Maybe you just have the wrong mindset when you play. Be aggressive! Try to be like the people that beat you!

Anyone wanna play?[/QUOTE]

Maybe in about 10-15 minutes.

Ghazi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";62182601]Maybe you just have the wrong mindset when you play. Be aggressive! Try to be like the people that beat you!

Do you have it on Xbox, it'd be better to show you. Plus, getting matched up with people on the other side of the world and getting laggy games is part of the problem.

Edit: I guess not, it's alright.

Dahbomb

Step 1: Keep calm

Step 2: Pick Vergil at anchor position and wait until your first 2 characters die so you can turn on XF3 and win the game

Give your team/assists plus your strategies, then we can help you out. You have to keep at the game, if you take even a few days break you will come back and lose a lot. The rust accumulates fast with this game.

You are welcome to quit. Gaming should be enjoyed.

If you want to keep trying, we will help you. I recommend playing on Kadey's stream 1v1 with a GAF member, and we'll provide feedback.

Vice

Do you have it on Xbox, it'd be better to show you. Plus, getting matched up with people on the other side of the world and getting laggy games is part of the problem.

Edit: I guess not, it's alright.

I have XBL. I'm always willing to help. Add me. javelin fangz7

Ghazi

Step 2: Pick Vergil at anchor position and wait until your first 2 characters die so you can turn on XF3 and win the game

Give your team/assists plus your strategies, then we can help you out. You have to keep at the game, if you take even a few days break you will come back and lose a lot. The rust accumulates fast with this game.

I generally play Wolverine with Tornado Claw, Dante with Jam Session, & Vergil with Rapid Slash. Admittedly I don't really use my assists much which I know is a bad thing, but I can combo off of Wesker's Samurai Edge for most characters and Vergil's Rapid Slash specifically when playing Wolverine.

I usually try to do mixups with Dante and Wolverine, while I generally use Vergil to chip if I can't get a combo going (I can do vergil SS loops). I'm not very good at mixing up enemies, I generally try blocking for an extended period of time until they leave an opening because I always open myself up easily.

The thing is, I've seen so much of this game that I know exactly what I'm doing wrong. I just don't know how to fix it. I can do all the combos and etc. What I need a little work on is pulling them off consistently with the online netcode and but mostly my issue is opening my enemy for combos and defending myself.

You are welcome to quit. Gaming should be enjoyed.

If you want to keep trying, we will help you. I recommend playing on Kadey's stream 1v1 with a GAF member, and we'll provide feedback.

I have XBL. I'm always willing to help. Add me. javelin fangz7

Thanks everyone, I hope I can get better at this because I really want to. I think playing some matches against GAFfers may be good.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
:( I can't play this game anymore.

I've had it for nearly a year and ever since then I've been trying so hard to get good at it. Spending the only time I had for gaming on it which, during school time is around 3 or 4 hours a week (I know that's not much, but now it's summer and I've been spending 7 or 8 hours a day playing online), I just want to get good at this game and I've been trying so hard and yet I manage to get bodied by someone who hasn't owned the game for 2 days mashing buttons. I mean, I can do so much in training, but I just get destroyed every time fight a moving player. About a month ago I was fighting Gaurdian (from here) and even trying my best he managed to perfect me.I don't know why I'm so bad at this game, all the friends I've been playing with have managed to get so good. It's just so depressing when I've spent the past year pouring my time and sweat into this game believing that at the end of sucking I'll get better. But no, I lose more matches trying to play compared to button mashing. I can't even beat my friends who choose random all and take it easy on me, I enjoy watching it so much. I've put hundreds of hours into playing and even more into watching it and yet I'm no better than Day 1 mashing. It feels bad man, it feels so bad. It makes me even sadder to think about all the fun I could've been having in other games, but I pushed them aside for Marvel. I mean, I can barely play FPS games competitively now because of how little I've played them trying to get good at Marvel. Maybe I'm just a moron when it comes to fighting games, maybe I should just go back to easy, instant gratification CoD. Marvel's the game that doesn't give back for me. I don't know what to say now, I'm just so frustrated and broken because of this game.

Edit: For the record, I have over 800 losses and <30 wins.

Now I feel like a jerk. :( I wouldn't sweat a perfect or two, man. It happens in this game a lot.

There will be a period where you're learning what's smart and what's not in your gameplan, and someone who is simply mashing buttons mindlessly with certain characters might do better than you until you're comfortable with your characters. It's pretty normal. Laggy online doesn't help, either. Are you playing randoms or friends?

If you want any suggestions or anything, just ask. I just usually don't like giving any unwanted advice. I'm totally down for playing some online "training mode" so to speak to test out stuff. I think it's fun.

JeTmAn81

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";62190525]Dat Jetman ragequit after getting bopped by my Thor :3

jk, GGs!

I HATE HIDDEN MISSILES AND VERGIL[/QUOTE]

Lol the Thor salt overfloweth. Actually I have to go to my birthday dinner now.

Best moment of that set was your Haggar level 3 on incoming Strider btw. Pure yomi.

Ghazi

Now I feel like a jerk. :( I wouldn't sweat a perfect or two, man. It happens in this game a lot.

There will be a period where you're learning what's smart and what's not in your gameplan, and someone who is simply mashing buttons mindlessly with certain characters might do better than you. It's pretty normal. Are you playing randoms or friends?

If you want any suggestions or anything, just ask. I just usually don't like giving any unwanted advice. I'm totally down for playing some online "training mode" so to speak to test out stuff. I think it's fun.

Don't man, it's alright, I wasn't meaning to call you out. I generally play with friends, but all my friends are really good at this game now. I only got into it because of them, I'll definitely hit you up if I have any questions.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";62240187]I can't decide if Vergil/Magneto or Spencer/Doom is a better shell. Spencer is god damage DHCs, Vergil has the silliness.[/QUOTE]

Hulk/Sentinel is better.

Dahbomb

I generally play Wolverine with Tornado Claw, Dante with Jam Session, & Vergil with Rapid Slash. Admittedly I don't really use my assists much which I know is a bad thing, but I can combo off of Wesker's Samurai Edge for most characters and Vergil's Rapid Slash specifically when playing Wolverine.

I usually try to do mixups with Dante and Wolverine, while I generally use Vergil to chip if I can't get a combo going (I can do vergil SS loops). I'm not very good at mixing up enemies, I generally try blocking for an extended period of time until they leave an opening because I always open myself up easily.

The thing is, I've seen so much of this game that I know exactly what I'm doing wrong. I just don't know how to fix it. I can do all the combos and etc. What I need a little work on is pulling them off consistently with the online netcode and but mostly my issue is opening my enemy for combos and defending myself.
I think the first thing you need to work on is mix ups and pressure. If you are blocking for extending periods of time as WOLVERINE then you are already doing it wrong. Don't be afraid to throw out st.Ls, cr.Ls, st.H and a Dive Kick (option selected with a throw of course). When they push you back, get back in with a Berserker Slash into a Berserker Charge to continue the pressure. You don't want them to think, you don't want them pressing buttons and you don't want them to even breathe.

I don't really like Wolverine plus Jam Session unless against particular match ups like Zero. You really want a horizontal coverage so you should pick up Doom just so you can get some wins to get you going. You want Plasma Beam and you want to call the assist right before you do a Berserker Slash. Learn to confirm off that and that will improve your game play dramatically. Use it to get in and pressure as well, it's a great assist for Wolverine.

There is nothing complicated about anchor Vergil... if your Wolverine dies try to just stall out with Doom/Dante and harass the opponent into coming to you so you can hit them with a Foot Dive/Hammer/Helm Breaker whatever. Do a combo but don't burn too many resources like XF to kill them, go for a reset if you can't kill. You want to save XF and some meter for Vergil. When Vergil comes just do whatever and then XF. You want to be in Devil Trigger because you can easily confirm a Helm Breaker or essentially any move of Vergil into a death combo. Learn the confirms (off of Rapid Slash, Judgment Cut, Helm Breaker and Round Trip) and then learn the incoming mix up with Round Trip. Don't waste too much on Spiral Swords unless you have a lot of meter to spare. If you are down to XF-less Vergil then you really shouldn't be using Spiral Swords just to chip them (unless they are riding a pixel to victory)... it should be used to open them up. Jump around, do a Helm Breaker/Starfall across their head when Spiral Swords are active... there is no point in doing a right/left mix up with Spiral Swords because they are in auto block.

It's cheap but it will get you wins and getting wins will get you some confidence to try out other strategies and play more solid. I think you just need to be be less defensive and press more buttons. Throw out a Foot Dive, a Dive Kick or a Helm Breaker to keep them from pressing too many buttons. If you are blocking too much as any of these characters then you definitely messed up somewhere.

GGs Onion Frog that was an awesome set. Man I was really having fun with Ryu/Chris/Wesker. Although Chris wasn't doing jack. I need that beam assist though and I'm not good with any beam characters.

Varjet

So I tried playing Dante the last few days, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just getting mauled.
Maybe I should just stick with Nova, he's more herp-derp :(

GGs Onion Frog

You know I noticed all of Marvel GAF always posts on this thread micro seconds after finishing their matches always.
I live post-game convo. Unfortunately, GFAQs considers this "off topic".

So I tried playing Dante the last few days, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just getting mauled.
Box dash j.H all day to start out. Feels just like Nova! Mix in Air Play and you'll be in the top 50% of Dante players!

:( I can't play this game anymore.

I've had it for nearly a year and ever since then I've been trying so hard to get good at it. Spending the only time I had for gaming on it which, during school time is around 3 or 4 hours a week (I know that's not much, but now it's summer and I've been spending 7 or 8 hours a day playing online), I just want to get good at this game and I've been trying so hard and yet I manage to get bodied by someone who hasn't owned the game for 2 days mashing buttons. I mean, I can do so much in training, but I just get destroyed every time fight a moving player. About a month ago I was fighting Gaurdian (from here) and even trying my best he managed to perfect me.I don't know why I'm so bad at this game, all the friends I've been playing with have managed to get so good. It's just so depressing when I've spent the past year pouring my time and sweat into this game believing that at the end of sucking I'll get better. But no, I lose more matches trying to play compared to button mashing. I can't even beat my friends who choose random all and take it easy on me, I enjoy watching it so much. I've put hundreds of hours into playing and even more into watching it and yet I'm no better than Day 1 mashing. It feels bad man, it feels so bad. It makes me even sadder to think about all the fun I could've been having in other games, but I pushed them aside for Marvel. I mean, I can barely play FPS games competitively now because of how little I've played them trying to get good at Marvel. Maybe I'm just a moron when it comes to fighting games, maybe I should just go back to easy, instant gratification CoD. Marvel's the game that doesn't give back for me. I don't know what to say now, I'm just so frustrated and broken because of this game.

Edit: For the record, I have over 800 losses and <30 wins.
I know exactly how you feel. When I first started playing MvC3 I was getting my ass kicked and it was infuriating because I was losing to such stupid tactics.....but it's the nature of the game. Even I mash now since the game rewards it. I actually stopped playing MvC3 because I hated it so much. I only had about 60 hours on it which is a record low on a Capcom game for me. I didn't actually start playing Ultimate until maybe 7 months ago.

I picked up Dante like 3 weeks ago and it has not been easy. Thinking is involved! Especially when you're a moron like me and don't use any horizontal assists :\

Varjet

Box dash j.H all day to start out. Feels just like Nova! Mix in Air Play and you'll be in the top 50% of Dante players!

Ha, that sounds sensible.
What I'm struggling the most with is that his buttons are so slow. Can't just mash my way out.

I picked up Dante like 3 weeks ago and it has not been easy. Thinking is involved! Especially when you're a moron like me and don't use any horizontal assists :\

Well, I guess I'm an even bigger moron then, as I play him on anchor :p

Ha, that sounds sensible.
What I'm struggling the most with is that his buttons are so slow. Can't just mash my way out.

Well, I guess I'm an even bigger moron then, as I play him on anchor :p
Dante is kind of like Dormammu. You need to preserve the space around him.

Ghazi

I think the first thing you need to work on is mix ups and pressure. If you are blocking for extending periods of time as WOLVERINE then you are already doing it wrong. Don't be afraid to throw out st.Ls, cr.Ls, st.H and a Dive Kick (option selected with a throw of course). When they push you back, get back in with a Berserker Slash into a Berserker Charge to continue the pressure. You don't want them to think, you don't want them pressing buttons and you don't want them to even breathe.

I don't really like Wolverine plus Jam Session unless against particular match ups like Zero. You really want a horizontal coverage so you should pick up Doom just so you can get some wins to get you going. You want Plasma Beam and you want to call the assist right before you do a Berserker Slash. Learn to confirm off that and that will improve your game play dramatically. Use it to get in and pressure as well, it's a great assist for Wolverine.

There is nothing complicated about anchor Vergil... if your Wolverine dies try to just stall out with Doom/Dante and harass the opponent into coming to you so you can hit them with a Foot Dive/Hammer/Helm Breaker whatever. Do a combo but don't burn too many resources like XF to kill them, go for a reset if you can't kill. You want to save XF and some meter for Vergil. When Vergil comes just do whatever and then XF. You want to be in Devil Trigger because you can easily confirm a Helm Breaker or essentially any move of Vergil into a death combo. Learn the confirms (off of Rapid Slash, Judgment Cut, Helm Breaker and Round Trip) and then learn the incoming mix up with Round Trip. Don't waste too much on Spiral Swords unless you have a lot of meter to spare. If you are down to XF-less Vergil then you really shouldn't be using Spiral Swords just to chip them (unless they are riding a pixel to victory)... it should be used to open them up. Jump around, do a Helm Breaker/Starfall across their head when Spiral Swords are active... there is no point in doing a right/left mix up with Spiral Swords because they are in auto block.

It's cheap but it will get you wins and getting wins will get you some confidence to try out other strategies and play more solid. I think you just need to be be less defensive and press more buttons. Throw out a Foot Dive, a Dive Kick or a Helm Breaker to keep them from pressing too many buttons. If you are blocking too much as any of these characters then you definitely messed up somewhere.

Thank you! I read through this yesterday but never got an opportunity to respond, tomorrow I'll be trying to implement some of these into my play style. My goal is to change my entire mindset and go from being passive aggressive to not letting the enemy think like you said. Hopefully I can play on that livestream eventually too, I'll eventually end up trying to record some matches anyway. Also, I will change Jam Session to Weasel Shot to give a similar horizontal usage of it kind of like Doom's beam. I can kind of play Doom, but my triangle dashing is inconsistent and I can't do any midscreens with him. Though I've never actually put effort into learning him before though since I always thought I wanted to main that team that I'm still playing. I usually try to save X-Factor for Vergil lvl3 since it's so ridiculously stupid and unfair, unless I get a Happy Birthday I keep it for him. I didn't mean to imply that I use SS so heavily (I don't, but I don't really have to much of a gameplan with Vergil other than hoping I get lucky and can start a combo. With Wolverine and Dante I'll be trying to be muuuuuch more aggressive, I'll let you know how that works out over time. Thank you, again!

Zissou

After experimenting with Vergil, I have decided he is not very fun to play. at all.

After deciding air mobility is one of the things I enjoy most about marvel, I've stopped procrastinating and have been putting a lot of time into learning Magneto. All I have to say is FUUUUUUCK this character is difficult to use. He's way better on point than Doom but everything is 1000x more difficult. Air-to-air confirms- need to actually practice them instead of having braindead 'air buttons xx j.S' option available. Combos need to be adjusted to a much greater extent depending on character size and weight. Magneto CAN hit like a truck like Doom can, but the combos you need to do to make it happen are fucking difficult. I just started trying to learn hyper grav loops yesterday and I already know I have a long fucking road ahead of me. Also, mag blast input can go fuck itself. Character is really fun though, so I'm sticking with it.

Dahbomb

Honestly you are better off using Jam Session than Weasel Shot. If the issue was just horizontal coverage then Rapid Slash serves that purpose as well and it goes full screen.

Also I wouldn't get over aggressive with Dante. That's the type of character where you really need to gauge the situation to see if you should play defensive/zone or play aggressive and rush them down with teleports and box dash.

Zissou

My adventures in using Magneto (and sucking something fierce) continue. Does anybody know the most reliable way to confirm off of anti-air standing jabs? Going straight into launcher whiffs a lot :(

Vice

Honestly you are better off using Jam Session than Weasel Shot. If the issue was just horizontal coverage then Rapid Slash serves that purpose as well and it goes full screen.

Also I wouldn't get over aggressive with Dante. That's the type of character where you really need to gauge the situation to see if you should play defensive/zone or play aggressive and rush them down with teleports and box dash.

Weasel shot is a great assist for rushdown though. It's like a weaker cold star with better scaling. Gives plenty of time for instant overhead shenanigans too.

EasyMode

My adventures in using Magneto (and sucking something fierce) continue. Does anybody know the most reliable way to confirm off of anti-air standing jabs? Going straight into launcher whiffs a lot :(

I'm also in the learning stages with my Magneto (and everyone else).
The launcher whiffs horizontally a lot for me too. Depending on opponent spacing, it seems like I can do only 1 jab into launcher (this is hard to confirm online), or 2 jabs if they're right on top of me. Either way, I always fuck up the follow up :lol. I'd love to learn a more reliable method.

I should jump online tonight. Are you on PSN Zissou?

Also RE: Grav Loops, what variation does Magneto-Gaf prefer? I do superjump up-forward, airdash down. For the airdash down I find tapping down, down + H easier timing and execution wise than holding down and pressing LM~H. But that's just me, the most I've done online is 2 reps :/

JeTmAn81

I've seen some people like Neo doing s.L, s.L, s.M, c.H into launcher to keep them juggling, so you might try that.

Zissou

I'm also in the learning stages with my Magneto (and everyone else).
The launcher whiffs horizontally a lot for me too. Depending on opponent spacing, it seems like I can do only 1 jab into launcher (this is hard to confirm online), or 2 jabs if they're right on top of me. Either way, I always fuck up the follow up :lol. I'd love to learn a more reliable method.

I should jump online tonight. Are you on PSN Zissou?

Also RE: Grav Loops, what variation does Magneto-Gaf prefer? I do superjump up-forward, airdash down. For the airdash down I find tapping down, down + H easier timing and execution wise than holding down and pressing LM~H. But that's just me, the most I've done online is 2 reps :/

I have both versions, but I live in Japan, so probably no go for online (unless you happen to live somewhere nearby that might have a decent connection, in which case- let me know!)

I'm only beginning to learn hyper grav loops, and I can already tell I have a long road ahead of me, haha.

I've seen some people like Neo doing s.L, s.L, s.M, c.H into launcher to keep them juggling, so you might try that.

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

EasyMode

I just tried that in the lab and it works nicely. Thanks!

I have both versions, but I live in Japan, so probably no go for online (unless you happen to live somewhere nearby that might have a decent connection, in which case- let me know!)

Eastern Canada, so that's definitely a no-go. How's online Marvel in Japan?

Zissou

I just tried that in the lab and it works nicely. Thanks!

Eastern Canada, so that's definitely a no-go. How's online Marvel in Japan?

Marvel online is not that great here either, haha. Even with the internet infrastructure here being so good, marvel netcode is marvel netcode. I only have experienced ps3 online play, so it might be worse because more people are on wireless vs. 360. My live gold account is a U.S. account, so I can't play ranked against Japanese players on that system. I haven't been playing online too much lately because I have a small group of people to meet up with and play against locally on a pretty regular basis.

God's Beard!";63525156][URL="http://shoryuken.com/2013/06/13/trick-shot-an-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-hawkeye-synergy-and-combo-video-feat-dante-and-strider/ said:
The hell kind of Hawkeye combos are these?[/URL] You can't even DHC after half of them. There's some funny stuff going on, but goddamn. Dude needs to swap out Dante pronto.

Hawkeye/Vergil/Strider
Hawkeye/Spencer/Doom

Those are the two best choices you've got, in that order. I use Hawkeye/Vergil/Magneto because I'm a stubborn asshole but Strider is better.

Hawkeye/Storm and V.Joe/Storm have been fun to play lately. I've kinda been on a Storm kick. I like Ice Storm dhc way too much. Who else has supers like ice storm? As in they come out regardless if the character is hit or not. I know Sentinel and Hawkeye do.

Storm's projectile isn't a bad assist for Hawkeye. Pretty good push if you aren't using a fullscreen combo assist.

You can do fullscreen combos off of Bolts of Balthakk, but it's not nearly as good as the other options. Vergil is by far the best.

how good is magneto with shopping cart assist

how good is level 4/5 frank west with disruptor assist?

I'm thinking of making a Mag/Frank West/x team

x being Vergil or Skrull or Dr Strange

smurfx

get some go again
hey solar tell your friend that i apologize for leaving before the set was over. something came up as i was playing and i had to go asap.

Top Bottom