• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Frantic

It's been a week since I've played some Mahvel. I come back and my execution is much crisper. Weird how it happens, but it's always good to not drop plink dashes for a change.

Speaking of plink dashes, I noticed today that I have a weird habit of plink dashing only with Trish. Dante and Strider I always backwards wavedash, but Trish I plink dash. Go figure. Probably has something to do with how I mainly practiced backwards wavedashing with Dante or Strider, and when I learned plink dashes I practiced with Trish's flight.

JeTmAn81

Auto block on the vita is starting to drive me nuts. Why did they think that was a good idea to add?

I didn't think this was an actual feature. I've played people who blocked so well I was sure they were cheating to do so, and when I asked one how he did it I think he said he was able to hold both directions somehow.

P.S. Autoblockers are free to command grabs, lol

I didn't think this was an actual feature. I've played people who blocked so well I was sure they were cheating to do so, and when I asked one how he did it I think he said he was able to hold both directions somehow.

P.S. Autoblockers are free to command grabs, lol

I have been grabbing more to compensate for this, but still doesn't stop the frustration. You can tell when the autoblock has initiated from the flash that doesn't appear when guarding regularly. It also does chip damage which is greater than normal chip damage (also wouldn't normally take chip for a normal attack)

It basically changes the game around completely as you cannot mix people up anymore. It's bad enough that 60% of the ranked matches are rage quitters, but this on top of that BS is just frustrating.

LakeEarth

I find it much less of a problem in that game as it costs them meter when you would score a "hit"

i mean, it's still a big advantage, but not nearly as bad.

I'm much better at SFxT than I am at marvel as well so it's not as big of a deal.

The best game used up so little meter that it didn't matter (1/6th of a block). I played against good Dhalsim players, burning meter left and right. There was always more. And if you did land a combo, when it was done, they had "earned" 3-4 auto-blocks worth of meter for the resulting mixup.

Autoblocking in Marvel sounds horrible though. At least throws can lead to massive damage.

Well that's neat! Nova/Frank/Dante is one of my latest teams (although my Dante is utter shit).

JeTmAn81

Marvel is so cheap even autoblocking is not really helpful. Command grab into full combo into TAC into Docta Doom infinite resulting in a kill and five bars. Lulz. This game.

Marvel is so cheap even autoblocking is not really helpful. Command grab into full combo into TAC into Docta Doom infinite resulting in a kill and five bars. Lulz. This game.

i've gotten side and down TACs down with Doom, but you need a good connection to do it online and that's pretty hard to come by on the vita.

once I get up TACs down i'll probably move onto infinites.

ZeroCDR

I haven't played you since Vanilla, I think.

Yeah we're just on at different times or busy with other players, but damn vanilla feels like ages ago. If I see ya on next time I'll bug ya!

I've been playing a lot on 360 too, MS keeps letting me use the free-month trial link so I've been taking advantage of the slight performance boost.

ZeroCDR

Auto block on the vita is starting to drive me nuts. Why did they think that was a good idea to add?

Suddenly half my games on Vita make more sense. Boooo. Between unbreakable players and the disconnects, I'm surprised I braved through ranked as long as I did. Still, what an amazing port.

Suddenly half my games on Vita make more sense. Boooo. Between unbreakable players and the disconnects, I'm surprised I braved through ranked as long as I did. Still, what an amazing port.

i made it all the way to high lord the first time, but after switching memory cards (bigger capacity) i forgot to backup my data and lost my rankings.

rankings mean so little based on the number of disconnects, but yea.

i was playing 973 and 13 person last night who would go to the "home" screen mid combo so it would lag and you would drop your combo (no joke, people do that and I tested it myself)

he proceeded to rage quit in rank in 4 separate matches after beating him every time. the 5th time he joined my lobby i refused to "ready up". I have a feeling they grow impatient and are questioning why I choose not to continue playing.

i really, really don't mind losing to people with higher skill, but this BS is rage inducing to say the least.

I do agree the port is amazing. I think that's why I come back every now again. I just happened to be on vacation for 5 days and my son (4) always leaves the game in his vita (we have 2). I was up late the one evening for a kid related issue and just started hitting training mode again.

JeTmAn81

At this point I think the Vita version is probably best for just practicing combos. The online is pretty useless. Also EsotericManiac, if you don't already have me add JeTmAn81 on PSN. We can be Vitabros. I promise not to rage quit/lag switch.

At this point I think the Vita version is probably best for just practicing combos. The online is pretty useless. Also EsotericManiac, if you don't already have me add JeTmAn81 on PSN. We can be Vitabros. I promise not to rage quit/lag switch.

Agree'd. Vita version is trash outside training mode.

All this PS4 E3 hype makes my mouth watering thinking of Marvel with next gen tech. Better online, bigger console community and all of the video sharing and community features sounds like a dream.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64359496]GGs Karst!

So many unclutch moments :-([/QUOTE]
So much goddamn lag, it was infuriating. The stuff I dropped. -_-

GGs, though. I kept trying to figure out different approaches to Dark Phoenix. I felt salt on your behalf when I TAC glitched you with Shuma-Gorath. You should stick to one team! You swap around way too much. Get an assist to support that Magneto and play him on point like you know you want to. Or, if you have a hard-on for that XF3 stuff, just run Wesker/Dormammu/Magneto since you like those characters.

And stop picking Morrigan and then forfeiting with her! :p

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64366316]I killed more characters with Morrigan than you did :-([/QUOTE]
You killed Shuma-Gorath with Morrigan once because I sat there and let you hit me. :p

Also, I think that set was your best against me so far.

Fighting Firebrand with Hawkeye is weird because I can't really get a good combo opportunity but it's easy to stuff Shuma assist. So Vergil becomes kinda pointless and I was trying to sub in an AA assist. Not fantastic.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64368811]Fighting Firebrand with Hawkeye is weird because I can't really get a good combo opportunity but it's easy to stuff Shuma assist. So Vergil becomes kinda pointless and I was trying to sub in an AA assist. Not fantastic.[/QUOTE]
You're gimping Hawkeye with EMD.

Zissou

Bah gawd.

My main team is Zero/Arthur/Frank, but I can swap Arthur for anyone with an install hyper and still have my Lv. 4 Frank setup with Zero. My Dante is abysmal, won't stop me from trying this out lol

That's really oppressive-sounding. I'm assuming if zero hits you and you kill them AND level up Frank so even if Zero dies later you leveled Frank to fall back on? Dirty stuff. With jam session, it would be truly nightmarish.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64375466]I know. Rapid Slash is the main assist, though.[/QUOTE]
Rapid Slash is a great assist for him, but he also needs an anti-air to be fully competent as a point character.

You're absolutely right. Hawkeye is a horizontal demon. An anti-air that hits behind him is even better. Missiles and Vajra are great, but I don't like Doom or Strider :3

Hyper Grav assist is the answer lol

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64376786]You're absolutely right. Hawkeye is a horizontal demon. An anti-air that hits behind him is even better. Missiles and Vajra are great, but I don't like Doom or Strider :3

Hyper Grav assist is the answer lol[/QUOTE]
If only custom assists were in. Gravitation would be an interesting choice for Hawkeye.

Really, though, you should focus your team around Magneto or get over using him. I think you love the character, so I would choose the former.

Zissou

Magneto questions! Any help anybody can offer would be much appreciated.

1) What are all the possible ways to fuck up hyper grav loops? I still suck at these loops terribly and I'm looking for all the ways I could be fucking them up. So far I have- 1. buffering the super jump correctly do it happens asap w/o doing it so soon that I don't get the super jump. 2. Not delaying the air dash properly after the super jump to pull them up with me- the timing seems pretty strict... 3. hitting the jump H and st.H quickly enough that they don't fall too low to do another rep. Anything else I should look out for?

2. Being new to mags, I don't entirely understand his offense yet. I'm used to Doom where you have to superjump for your tridashes to do strong high/low mix-ups and you use j.L and a lot of j.M. With mags do you normal jump, super jump, or a mix of both? Also, is j.L best or do people use j.M and j.H for mix-ups as well?

My Magneto team is Magneto/Spencer/Doom. It's 300% Magneto-centric. I've got nothing left once he's dead.

Magneto questions! Any help anybody can offer would be much appreciated.

1) What are all the possible ways to fuck up hyper grav loops? I still suck at these loops terribly and I'm looking for all the ways I could be fucking them up. So far I have- 1. buffering the super jump correctly do it happens asap w/o doing it so soon that I don't get the super jump. 2. Not delaying the air dash properly after the super jump to pull them up with me- the timing seems pretty strict... 3. hitting the jump H and st.H quickly enough that they don't fall too low to do another rep. Anything else I should look out for?
I never use hyper grav loops outside of x-factor so I couldn't really tell you.

2. Being new to mags, I don't entirely understand his offense yet. I'm used to Doom where you have to superjump for your tridashes to do strong high/low mix-ups and you use j.L and a lot of j.M. With mags do you normal jump, super jump, or a mix of both? Also, is j.L best or do people use j.M and j.H for mix-ups as well?

Both, you could even square-dash jMH on big characters to mix up a double overhead every once in a while. jH and S are situational and mostly for coming down from superjump height or hitbox interactions. You never want to let your opponent directly under you, so you downback airdash then jH/S or backdash Magnetic Blast to make space. You can also setup a situation where you can switch sides and do a 2L after a fake tridash, and downback airdash jS, 2M is a way to fake switching sides and hit in front.

Magneto's main offense is based around a lot of magnetic blasts, plink blasts, plink dashing and airdash up, flight, plink dash jS. You just want to be a hard target at midrange until you can make an opportunity to tridash with assists, mag blasts or an opponent's whiffed move.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64378081]My Magneto team is Magneto/Spencer/Doom. It's 300% Magneto-centric. I've got nothing left once he's dead.[/QUOTE]
I think that's because your Spencer is ass.

Top Bottom