• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Grecco

having played both wolvie and spencer i kinda disagree

i also cant even do the falling m from the zip loops on ps3 but i can do the combo on xbox :(

FSLink

Banned
having played both wolvie and spencer i kinda disagree

i also cant even do the falling m from the zip loops on ps3 but i can do the combo on xbox :(

Zip loops are weird for me, I can do them on both but switching so soon from one console to the other I miss it constantly for matches. I have no problems with any other combo like FoF loops or LL, lol.

I need a little help prepping for Evo. Not actual matches though. I want to hear thoughts on the characters/teams I use....if anyone would like to help. And possibly creating some new gimmick teams....

Grecco

Zip loops are weird for me, I can do them on both but switching so soon from one console to the other I miss it constantly for matches. I have no problems with any other combo like FoF loops or LL, lol.

yeah its weird I need to get it down on Ps3 by evo though :(

Azure J

So I finally learned Lightning Loops. Why are they so much easier to do off the Ryuenjin - Buster - Lightning starter than the standard Sentsuizan - Buster - Lightning starter?

FSLink

Banned
So I finally learned Lightning Loops. Why are they so much easier to do off the Ryuenjin - Buster - Lightning starter than the standard Sentsuizan - Buster - Lightning starter?

Because you actually have to time the second one...it's easy once you get it.
The first one you just Buster as soon as Ryuenjin's over so it's really simple.

Azure J

It's been a week since I've played some Mahvel. I come back and my execution is much crisper. Weird how it happens, but it's always good to not drop plink dashes for a change.

Speaking of plink dashes, I noticed today that I have a weird habit of plink dashing only with Trish. Dante and Strider I always backwards wavedash, but Trish I plink dash. Go figure. Probably has something to do with how I mainly practiced backwards wavedashing with Dante or Strider, and when I learned plink dashes I practiced with Trish's flight.

Just saw this, but pretty much the same thing is happening to me now. Suddenly, Zero Buster switching isn't "intimidating" for training mode me and my Viper looks great. I just know I'm going to pick the wrong time to play some matches or I'll get destroyed by some elder god and revert back into a depression matched only by Mattrick after the Xbox One reveal.

I need a little help prepping for Evo. Not actual matches though. I want to hear thoughts on the characters/teams I use....if anyone would like to help. And possibly creating some new gimmick teams....
We'd have to play, but in general, stick with 1 team. Matchup knowledge will screw you over if you make a new team right now.

Sigmaah

Spencer is one of the easiest characters in the game to play as. Even Wolverine is harder.

LOL Wolverine is 10x easier to play than Spencer.

And fuck it, gave up playing Spidey already, don't know who to pair him with... I know missiles is good but I don't like playing Doom online, too laggy!

Joining the dark side I see?

We'd have to play, but in general, stick with 1 team. Matchup knowledge will screw you over if you make a new team right now.

Possible long post incoming

If you're available later this week or over the weekend then we could play. The whole 1 team or 1 character thing is not something I do very well. I mean I always have a primary team/character in fighting games, but I always branch out because it's a huge part of my strategy. I remember in a few SF4 tourneys I got absolutely wrecked using Rufus and then I decided to play as Gen and ended up coming in second....and I had just learned him a few weeks prior. Knowing the entire roster, besides Ibuki, usually works out pretty well for me.
The same thing happened in Umvc3. I created my Felicia/Nova/Strider team just based on theory and it ended up working out better than my primary team. It's funny how often people will blow xfactor to kill Felicia just because they don't really know how to deal with her since you don't see her often. It also happens on occasion to Chris.
I just made the V.Joe/Storm/Sentinel team last week and I've had great success. I'm assuming it's because people don't have the matchup knowledge on Joe or Storm, cause I honestly don't think I'm that good.

So basically I'd like to list my teams and characters and maybe someone can create some good shit for me. I like gimmick teams that might only work out once, cause that's really all I need and then I can switch to a much better team. I just really really really like to get that first win.

Zero/Dante/Vergil - My "best" team. This team gets me the easiest wins but I can't fucking stand playing them because it's so boring. My Dante was complete trash (still kinda is) up until a couple weeks ago, but it didn't matter since I had derpy ass Vergil in the back.

Chris/Spencer/Sentinel - My primary team. Unfortunately my Spencer isn't that great. Once Chris dies it's an uphill battle

Felicia/Nova/Strider - Absolutely love this team. Reset after reset after reset. I get manhandled by Hawkeye though.

Doom/Dorm/Sentinel - My lame zoning team. Hawkeye can fuck me at times though. And Captain America as well. Well Cap kills me a lot anyway.

Morrigan/Doom/xxx - I usually put Wolverine or Dante in the front, sometimes Dorm in the middle, or sometimes Strider in the back.

Those are all the teams I regularly use. I do mix and match at times, like Chris/Dorm/Doom or something but those are the teams I compete with. These are the characters I can use, so if anyone sees anything gimmicky or good then please let me know.

Note: I REALLY don't like using Vergil. I will use him since this is Evo, but I try to enjoy myself and he's just not fun. Same with missiles.

Capcom

Nemesis
Firebrand
Strider
Chris
Vergil
Wesker
Zero
Dante
Morrigan
Felicia
Spencer
V.Joe
Ammy

Marvel

Nova
Hawkeye
Cap
Dorm
Wolverine
Iron Man
Doom
Storm
Sentinel
Magneto

I certainly wouldn't mind learning additional characters, especially lesser used ones, so I'm open to suggestions. Like I think Modok would be a good pick, but I just don't know who to stick him with. Same with Rocket Raccoon and Modok. Love those characters but I don't exactly know what I'm doing with them. I know Rocket Raccoon can do some serious damage in a tourney.

I think I air grabbed you like 50% of the time when you wired around the screen. You should figure out a team and stick with it. Maybe you need to do another 1000 game challenge with the same team?

Spencer is one of the easiest characters in the game to play as. Even Wolverine is harder.

The only team I've ever played that felt complete with three characters that I want to play was vanilla Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64410146]The only team I've ever played that felt complete with three characters that I want to play was vanilla Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix.[/QUOTE]
Just swap Phoenix out for someone else.

How do you do Dante's teleport after prop shredder? Can't figure this out for the life of me.
You still have to jump-cancel the animation, do it's ddu + S.

There isn't much use for it, though, outside of side switching for corner combos.

You should also almost never use prop shredder.

It's not like your Phoenix is all that good. Replace her with a good assist and you'll be fine. Sentinel is your best bet. Wesker/Sentinel/Magneto is a great team.

You still have to jump-cancel the animation, do it's ddu + S.

There isn't much use for it, though, outside of side switching for corner combos.

You should also almost never use prop shredder.

Why not?

Azure J

Scaling issues. Really though, it's not so much that you shouldn't use it as much as you should be aware of what you want in any given combo and what route you can get to it best. For example, Prop Shredder is good in meter gain combos because it allows you to do Acid Rain loops but the HSD and damage scaling is poorer because of the multi-hit nature of both moves.

For damage, you want to front load his combos with solid one hit attacks that do lots of damage from the jump without too many normals in between. Hence stuff like the Million Carats combos or combos with lots of use of Volcano. You get less meter this way, but you begin to do more than passable damage with Dante.

Basically, if your combo path looks like this:

Whatever - Gun normal (Cold Shower/Clay Pigeon) - Prop Shredder

Go for a meter building combo. If your combo path looks like this:

Whatever - Volcano

Go for optimized combos lacking in multi-hit moves.

Vice

Scaling issues. Really though, it's not so much that you shouldn't use it as much as you should be aware of what you want in any given combo and what route you can get to it best. For example, Prop Shredder is good in meter gain combos because it allows you to do Acid Rain loops but the HSD and damage scaling is poorer because of the multi-hit nature of both moves.

For damage, you want to front load his combos with solid one hit attacks that do lots of damage from the jump without too many normals in between. Hence stuff like the Million Carats combos or combos with lots of use of Volcano. You get less meter this way, but you begin to do more than passable damage with Dante.

Basically, if your combo path looks like this:

Whatever - Gun normal (Cold Shower/Clay Pigeon) - Prop Shredder

Go for a meter building combo. If your combo path looks like this:

Whatever - Volcano

Go for optimized combos lacking in multi-hit moves.

What are some of the more optimized combos for Dante? I'm having trouble finding more current tech.

I'm finally getting over my tournament jitters. I've actually managed to play some top players and not forget everything I should be doing recently.

Because Volcano, j.H, Air Play, j.H, s.HS does way more damage and causes less scaling.

The only time you use Proper Shredder is when you're feeling lazy or you have a combo extension that uses it (like Dark Hole).

Damage is rarely a concern. I am about doing what will work 110% of the time with minimal effort. Plus I do resets with damn near every character I use. I do resets with Chris for fuck sake. I love being stocked with meter.

I should actually learn some damaging Dante combos though since one of the teams I'm trying to mess with right now is Dante/Morrigan/Strider. Having Dante constantly in Devil Trigger is kind of fun, and I'm sure I could probably do some damaging combos since DT does add a bit of damage. Though I also like having 5 bars for xf2 Strider. Morrigan lets me use orbs like 3 times and two of those times are during xf2.

At this point I think the Vita version is probably best for just practicing combos. The online is pretty useless. Also EsotericManiac, if you don't already have me add JeTmAn81 on PSN. We can be Vitabros. I promise not to rage quit/lag switch.

lol

I'm so used to it in this game that it doesn't phase me. I'm more surprised when someone with a winning record actually takes a loss than quitting now.

I'll add ya tonight. Good stuff

Azure J

What are some of the more optimized combos for Dante? I'm having trouble finding more current tech.

I'm finally getting over my tournament jitters. I've actually managed to play some top players and not forget everything I should be doing recently.

Well, that all depends on assists you're running for extensions sake and what your goals are with Dante, but in general you want to know the optimal OTG combo starter , Shot Loops (corner carry) and how to use Dash Up S to circumvent the higher pushback he gained coming into Ultimate.

You can also check out my YouTube channel (TranscendentAzure89), Frantic's (FusiladeMVC3), or Darksim's (Darksim150) for stuff to help you out.

I played Wesker/Vergil/Magneto before, somebody said it was my best team.

edit: Wesker change wishes-

• Last hit of Jaguar Dash causes crumple, drops combo to throw scaling(gives wesker a raw tag setup)
  • Hyper counter gets invincibility back(seriously)
  • Regular-ass counters get 2 more active frames, 5 more recovery frames(counters often whiff on a correct read because they're so quick)
  • Phantom Dance causes hard knockdown, 30 extra recovery frames, is now a hit throw like maximum spider to remove crossups(better DHC options for OTG-capable characters)
  • Glasses-off gets 10% damage nerf instead of buff, speed boost stays(no more god mode 700k meterless combos with like 15 hits, x-factor damage no longer insane)
  • S is now -6 on block(it's a bad habit anyway)

Vice

Well, that all depends on assists you're running for extensions sake and what your goals are with Dante, but in general you want to know the optimal OTG combo starter , Shot Loops (corner carry) and how to use Dash Up S to circumvent the higher pushback he gained coming into Ultimate.

You can also check out my YouTube channel (TranscendentAzure89), Frantic's (FusiladeMVC3), or Darksim's (Darksim150) for stuff to help you out.

I'm mostly looking for damage, I have the more meter friendly combos down, I run Nova/Dante/Strider. it looks like I've been doing the optimized OTG starter. Had no clue about dash up S though.

Azure J

Damage wise, you want to get down the Million Carats Vajra extensions and maybe freestyle until you find a good application for your Nova assist of choice.

Speaking of damage, 835K before the actual Lightning Loop portion of this Zero/Dante/Strider combo I'm internalizing. What the actual fuck man. :lol

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64714861]34ms ping is 2 frames, right? So skullgirls can't be less than that.[/QUOTE]
Yes, but GGPO is magic.

I played a guy with 250ms of lag (multiple tests) in Skullgirls, and it felt better than Marvel play with anyone on here but maybe Platinum Milk. The netcode is truly spectacular.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64715461]I guess anything under 50ms is close enough to pass for offline with rollback.[/QUOTE]
You should try it. ;-)

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64719806]I used to play Jojo's, ST and 3rd Strike on GGPO almost every day.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but now you can do it with a good game that people actually play.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64721581]I don't like Skullgirls that much. It's the artstyle thing.[/QUOTE]
It grows on you. Especially since everything else is so well done.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64722586]Is there a primer for each character's playstyle? Text preferably. I'll make my decision then.[/QUOTE]
I'd suggest just downloading the demo.

Brief summary of the characters:
Filia - has a DP, box dash that's really good, underground hair attack
Painwheel - Sentinel-esque flight, armor that reflects damage if you hit with the armored move
Parasoul - Guile, but Sonic Boom leaves aerial land mines on the screen; has Gimlet
Cerebella - grappler with armored run, projectile reflection (wall bounce), big normals, decent speed
Peacock - Arthur with an air dash and teleport
Ms. Fortune - detaches head for secondary pressure/combo, rushdown
Valentine - ninja-esque; ability to dash behind for cross-ups, air dash, command grab
Double - big normals, super high damage, teleport dash; level 1 Ouroboros

I played the demo. That's why I don't like it.

Ms.Fortune is the only one that seems like a character I'd play. Maybe Valentine, she has Dio's level 1 hyper.

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64378081]I never use hyper grav loops outside of x-factor so I couldn't really tell you.

Both, you could even square-dash jMH on big characters to mix up a double overhead every once in a while. jH and S are situational and mostly for coming down from superjump height or hitbox interactions. You never want to let your opponent directly under you, so you downback airdash then jH/S or backdash Magnetic Blast to make space. You can also setup a situation where you can switch sides and do a 2L after a fake tridash, and downback airdash jS, 2M is a way to fake switching sides and hit in front.

Magneto's main offense is based around a lot of magnetic blasts, plink blasts, plink dashing and airdash up, flight, plink dash jS. You just want to be a hard target at midrange until you can make an opportunity to tridash with assists, mag blasts or an opponent's whiffed move.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for the info. Would've thanked you earlier, but I unfortunately missed the reply since you edited into the post later and I didn't check back. Can you explain a bit more about plink blasts? Is it just plink air dashing and doing mag blasts so that the momentum of the dash keeps you moving after the dash or is there more to it?

having trouble getting wolverine's ground slide OTG, having doom beam pop them up high enough to consistently tornado claw, super, tornado claw, super.

so much easier to do when I was using akuma's tatsu to do the same thing

Top Bottom