• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Thanks a lot for the info. Would've thanked you earlier, but I unfortunately missed the reply since you edited into the post later and I didn't check back. Can you explain a bit more about plink blasts? Is it just plink air dashing and doing mag blasts so that the momentum of the dash keeps you moving after the dash or is there more to it?

Well what you do is plink the Mag Blast motion into a dash so they both come out at the same time. So numerically it's 896 and rolling H to M to L to get a forward dash with a Magnetic Blast L. If you hit the buttons as the motion is finishing you get an up-forward airdash or you can go down to 3 or 2 for down-forward or down. You just have to grind out the timing, because it's the same motion as dashing with an auto-corrected jL.

Basically it's only good for forward airdashes. Backwards you just do the normal inputs unless you're a crazy person.

One way I like to use it is a tiger knee superjump backwards blast(540 motion, 2147896), then plink blast forwards after it recovers. It's relatively safe defensively but you aren't pushing yourself into the corner.

JeTmAn81

having trouble getting wolverine's ground slide OTG, having doom beam pop them up high enough to consistently tornado claw, super, tornado claw, super.

so much easier to do when I was using akuma's tatsu to do the same thing

Are you having trouble with the initial pickup off the beam for that first Tornado Claw into Fatal Claw, or are you just finding that the height you're hitting at is not right for linking multiple Tornadoes into Fatals? If it's the former, you have to wait a decent chunk of time after calling Doom before doing the OTG. It's not nearly as lenient as it is with other assists like Akuma's tatsu. It always feels to me like I'm waiting a bit longer than I ought to but Wolverine just recovers more quickly than I expect so it works. One way to practice it might be to just try comboing off throws in the same manner over and over. Usually I get a throw and immediately call Doom while dashing, wait a fraction of a second, then hit the OTG before continuing with a s.H into launcher.

Are you having trouble with the initial pickup off the beam for that first Tornado Claw into Fatal Claw, or are you just finding that the height you're hitting at is not right for linking multiple Tornadoes into Fatals? If it's the former, you have to wait a decent chunk of time after calling Doom before doing the OTG. It's not nearly as lenient as it is with other assists like Akuma's tatsu. It always feels to me like I'm waiting a bit longer than I ought to but Wolverine just recovers more quickly than I expect so it works. One way to practice it might be to just try comboing off throws in the same manner over and over. Usually I get a throw and immediately call Doom while dashing, wait a fraction of a second, then hit the OTG before continuing with a s.H into launcher.

the problem is having the character launch up high enough to get 2 tornados into fatal claw (2x)

when I had akuma on my team and use tatsu assist, it seemed extremely easy. I find the timing hard for me than doing Doom TAC combos, as far as consistency goes.

I'm absolutely sick of point Wesker and figured I might go back to wolverine and from using him previously, i know this BnB is the price of admission.

the slash, to rage mode, to dash combo is really easy in comparison, as well as light command grab, dash, combo from wesker

JeTmAn81

the problem is having the character launch up high enough to get 2 tornados into fatal claw (2x)

when I had akuma on my team and use tatsu assist, it seemed extremely easy. I find the timing hard for me than doing Doom TAC combos, as far as consistency goes.

I'm absolutely sick of point Wesker and figured I might go back to wolverine and from using him previously, i know this BnB is the price of admission.

the slash, to rage mode, to dash combo is really easy in comparison, as well as light command grab, dash, combo from wesker

I'm not expert enough on the timing of the Tornado Claw into Fatal Claw stuff, but I thought that was dependent mostly on what strength of Tornado Claw you use (L,M,H) and when you cut it off to go into Fatal Claw. But I don't really know the specifics of what makes it work best.

This might help: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/154703/tips-on-how-to-do-the-tornado-claw-loops

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64829706]Now that you're used to craziness, Karst, you can look forward to a real crazy game this fall.[/QUOTE]
LOL, trying to sell me on a 3D fighter?

I'm not expert enough on the timing of the Tornado Claw into Fatal Claw stuff, but I thought that was dependent mostly on what strength of Tornado Claw you use (L,M,H) and when you cut it off to go into Fatal Claw. But I don't really know the specifics of what makes it work best.

This might help: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/154703/tips-on-how-to-do-the-tornado-claw-loops

thanks, Ill check it out

ive always down light, into fatal, into light, into fatal. you always wanted it to cancel immediately after the 3rd hit.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64837771]It's a 2d fighter with a dodge. The inputs are street fighter motions. Think persona if the roll went up and down instead of forward.

The character on the left in that video can charge spells like Dormammu and has Dhalsim normals.[/QUOTE]
Mobility is the most important thing to me in a fighting game. And if you can sidestep, it's a 3D fighter.

If you want to convince me, don't send me some flashy crap. I don't buy games based on flash, I look for substance.

Azure J

God's Beard!";64829706][URL="http://youtu.be/7ljWRDDNFQk?t=3m30s said:
Now that you're used to craziness, Karst, you can look forward to a real crazy game this fall.[/URL]

Haha, this is awesome. :lol

Mobility is the most important thing to me in a fighting game. And if you can sidestep, it's a 3D fighter.

If you want to convince me, don't send me some flashy crap. I don't buy games based on flash, I look for substance.

I sent that because there's no real match footage yet lol

That said, I have three factors for whether I play a fighting game:

• Characters
  • Prettiness
  • Popularity

Game ratings:

Marvel 3:
Characters - 4/5
Prettiness - 4/5
Popularity -5/5

Jojo's:
Characters - 5/5
Prettiness - 5/5
Popularity - 1/5

Skullgirls:
Characters - 2/5
Prettiness - 2/5
Popularity - 3/5

SF4:
Characters - 3/5
Prettiness -3/5
Popularity - 5/5

Hokuto no Ken
Characters - 4/5
Prettiness - 5/5
Popularity - 1/5

Killer Instinct
Characters - 0/5
Prettiness - 0/5
Popularity -3/5

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64846471]I sent that because there's no real match footage yet lol[/QUOTE]
You should have highlighted the earlier part in the video, where there's actual gameplay! If there are Dhalsim-like normals and Dormammu spell charges, show me how that all works. That's more likely to interest me (a game mechanic) than a cinematic.

For some reason I've been thinking about Marvel characters in terms of Magic cards.
You should have highlighted the earlier part in the video, where there's actual gameplay! If there are Dhalsim-like normals and Dormammu spell charges, show me how that all works. That's more likely to interest me (a game mechanic) than a cinematic.

I didn't want to show you because the players(AI?) fight like ass.

Ok, so Karst tells me drop phoenix from my Wesker team and make a new team about Magneto. So after lots of consideration and playing around I think I found what I need to learn. It's a character I really like but I avoided learning because I don't like his inputs.

This is what I think I should really be playing:

Magneto/Zero/Rocket Raccoon

Magneto with my favorite Magneto assist and an awesome DHC that also goes with Log Trap. The way I was going I needed to learn Vergil, and if I was gonna have to learn charge moves I might as well play Zero who is a way cooler character.

The new Wesker team I'm playing with is Hawkeye/Wesker/Magneto with Wesker's Jaguar Dash assist cause fuck everything <_<

Zissou

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64786246]Well what you do is plink the Mag Blast motion into a dash so they both come out at the same time. So numerically it's 896 and rolling H to M to L to get a forward dash with a Magnetic Blast L. If you hit the buttons as the motion is finishing you get an up-forward airdash or you can go down to 3 or 2 for down-forward or down. You just have to grind out the timing, because it's the same motion as dashing with an auto-corrected jL.

Basically it's only good for forward airdashes. Backwards you just do the normal inputs unless you're a crazy person.

One way I like to use it is a tiger knee superjump backwards blast(540 motion, 2147896), then plink blast forwards after it recovers. It's relatively safe defensively but you aren't pushing yourself into the corner.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again. Time to head into training mode and put in a good chunk of time into practicing this stuff.

edit: why do you like log trap so much for Mags?

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";64846471]I sent that because there's no real match footage yet lol

That said, I have three factors for whether I play a fighting game:

• Characters
  • Prettiness
  • Popularity

Game ratings:

Marvel 3:
Characters - 4/5
Prettiness - 4/5
Popularity -5/5

Jojo's:
Characters - 5/5
Prettiness - 5/5
Popularity - 1/5

Skullgirls:
Characters - 2/5
Prettiness - 2/5
Popularity - 3/5

SF4:
Characters - 3/5
Prettiness -3/5
Popularity - 5/5

Hokuto no Ken
Characters - 4/5
Prettiness - 5/5
Popularity - 1/5

Killer Instinct
Characters - 0/5
Prettiness - 0/5
Popularity -3/5[/QUOTE]

What no King of Fighters on that list? I thought with its cancel mechanics and such you'd have a blast picking it apart.

Grecco

I the problem is the second tornado claw into fatal claw you just need to really mash the first fc

I the problem is the second tornado claw into fatal claw you just need to really mash the first fc

i think theres a bit more to it than that, but it does help (which I do)

you have to make sure you are canceling into super almost immediately after the hit from tornado (hits 2 or 3). i also found that inputting the notation for tornado 2 during fatal claw one and executing right before wolfy lands from the first fatal allows you to do it almost instantly.

doing H tornado, into fatal, into L tornado makes it a lot easier for the timing (shoots opponent higher) but doesn't do as much damage.

problem is, this is almost useless as the lag on the vita makes things like this as well doom TAC combos impossible to land.

What no King of Fighters on that list? I thought with its cancel mechanics and such you'd have a blast picking it apart.

It always felt like a remixed Street Fighter game with less funny characters so I never picked it up.

Thanks again. Time to head into training mode and put in a good chunk of time into practicing this stuff.

edit: why do you like log trap so much for Mags?

It's an awesome assist for aerial characters, gets happy birthdays like nobody's business, helps clear the screen, minimal damage scaling, easy confirms and you get attraction mixups.

My other favorite Magneto assists:

• Haggar: Attraction mixup city
  • Horizontal Grapple: fullscreen confirms off of EMD L and M, raw tag god combos
  • Bolts of Balthakk: Throw mixup city, fullscreen confirms, makes people jump into Magneto's loving embrace

Frantic

It's ridiculous how many people simply cannot deal with backwards plink dashing. I've made it a strategy to test how well people can punish/deal with it, and if they can't, I just keep doing it and randomly(in a planned way) move forward with an attack to catch them off guard. It works 98% of the time. I also know it gets people angry, because they get worse and worse at dealing with it the more I win.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";65077186]Haggar: Attraction mixup city[/QUOTE]You ever try Mag/Jam Session? Almost every time I call Jam Session + Attraction against someone that jumped, I get a hit. If I don't, I dash to the 'sweet spot' where they'll be pushed back and it's a guess of left/right, and high/low if I was actually good with Magneto.

It's ridiculous how many people simply cannot deal with backwards plink dashing. I've made it a strategy to test how well people can punish/deal with it, and if they can't, I just keep doing it and randomly(in a planned way) move forward with an attack to catch them off guard. It works 98% of the time. I also know it gets people angry, because they get worse and worse at dealing with it the more I win.
Sounds like my jump back Hawkeye slide at the start of the round strategy.

You ever try Mag/Jam Session? Almost every time I call Jam Session + Attraction against someone that jumped, I get a hit. If I don't, I dash to the 'sweet spot' where they'll be pushed back and it's a guess of left/right, and high/low if I was actually good with Magneto.

Yeah but I'm no good with Dante and the scaling bothers me.

Frantic

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";65106856]Yeah but I'm no good with Dante and the scaling bothers me.[/QUOTE]I'm no good with Magneto, but Jam Session makes him look passable! Imagine what a good Magneto with Jam Session could do!

But the scaling does kinda suck. I play Dante and Strider, though, so I'm used to having my combos scaled to shit.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";65202606]GGs Racket! Thanks for being my Zero test buddy, he's a lot of fun to play!

Would have played more but I gotta go.[/QUOTE]

GGs Gods Beard. Let's do it again next time. I've always heard stuff about your connection but it seemed pretty stable to me during our set.

JeTmAn81

Doom's neutral movement has always felt pretty awkward to me. When you don't have an assist locking them down and they don't get hit by j.S every time, it gets slightly trickier.

What are you finding difficult about Doom?

from neutral, to pressure, to hit confirming, really. getting conversions. for reason reason, if there's any type of lag, i cannot perform my combos. having the dash actually work after a foot dive (to be safe). basically occupying space and getting the correct ranges down. the whole gamut

i basically have to go back to basics and get them ironed out completely.

JeTmAn81

from neutral, to pressure, to hit confirming, really. getting conversions. for reason reason, if there's any type of lag, i cannot perform my combos. having the dash actually work after a foot dive (to be safe). basically occupying space and getting the correct ranges down. the whole gamut

I feel like Doom is a character whose movement you really want to have practiced a lot. You definitely want to have his bunny hop movement down as smooth as possible. I'm appreciating rapid backdashing more and more in this game, and his reverse bunny hop is the equivalent of that. Though Doom doesn't need it to run away as much since he has air mobility, just being able to get away from your opponent quickly and create space is so great.

Also, I recently realized that a tridash j.L with Doom works pretty much like it does with Magneto and grants you a faster jumping overhead than j.M. It works quite well on medium to large characters, and you only have to normal jump slightly higher than you do with Magneto before coming down with the j.L.

I wish there was a primer for air-to-air confirms with Doom, though. Seems like that is really important to have and I don't know much beyond just foot diving them.

i've seen FChamp do well with butter gun from a normal jump, confirm, to jump lights, into a full combo but i think that's a little beyond me right now.

the problem i'm having his doom's bunny hop is that on the vita, I have more missed inputs than I think I would with a fight stick and drop combos because of it, or i'll get the bunny hop into a crouch normal instead of a standing one to convert the OTG

i suppose recognizing my problems/weaknesses is the biggest thing. is gives me something to focus on

i canned wesker for taskmaster/doom w/missles/vergil

can't do sword loops anymore because i dont want to change my buttons. doom w/ beam is great, but it's rather pointless with all the auto guard so mixups are non-existant. its all counter hits, punishes, and grabs

Zissou

I feel like Doom is a character whose movement you really want to have practiced a lot. You definitely want to have his bunny hop movement down as smooth as possible. I'm appreciating rapid backdashing more and more in this game, and his reverse bunny hop is the equivalent of that. Though Doom doesn't need it to run away as much since he has air mobility, just being able to get away from your opponent quickly and create space is so great.

Also, I recently realized that a tridash j.L with Doom works pretty much like it does with Magneto and grants you a faster jumping overhead than j.M. It works quite well on medium to large characters, and you only have to normal jump slightly higher than you do with Magneto before coming down with the j.L.

I wish there was a primer for air-to-air confirms with Doom, though. Seems like that is really important to have and I don't know much beyond just foot diving them.

i've seen FChamp do well with butter gun from a normal jump, confirm, to jump lights, into a full combo but i think that's a little beyond me right now.

the problem i'm having his doom's bunny hop is that on the vita, I have more missed inputs than I think I would with a fight stick and drop combos because of it, or i'll get the bunny hop into a crouch normal instead of a standing one to convert the OTG

i suppose recognizing my problems/weaknesses is the biggest thing. is gives me something to focus on

i canned wesker for taskmaster/doom w/missles/vergil

can't do sword loops anymore because i dont want to change my buttons. doom w/ beam is great, but it's rather pointless with all the auto guard so mixups are non-existant. its all counter hits, punishes, and grabs

I will second bunny hopping being really important to Doom's ground mobility. In the air, you can fly and either plink air dash or do the zig-zag style dash to move across the sky quickly. Fwd.H and S footdives are also both useful mobility tools in the air since they move you quickly with a hitbox in front of you and you can keep yourself from being predictable by cancelling either with flight or his other specials, like finger lasers (this is really good. You can do S footdive above your opponent, and cancel almost immediately into light finger lasers. If they tried to anti-air upon seeing the footdive animation, they will get hit with the finger lasers and you can do another S footdive to confirm into a full combo. This is very useful against stuff like a lariat-happy Haggar.)

Optimized air-to-air confirms are difficult and involve cancelling the fwd.H footdive into addf and keeping the combo going. It's spacing and height-dependent, so before you can do it reliably, you can always go for easy mode j.M xx j.S and continue after the footdive causes a hard knockdown. The proper aerial hit-confirms can be difficult in the heat of a match (you see players like clock and marlinpie drop them pretty often) so it's not worth beating yourself up over doing the easy version, IMO. Same for converting off of air-to-air butter gun: if it hits, you can always land, jump back up and do something like j.L, j.M, j.S and keep the combo going very easily, even though you're sacrificing some damage by going for the easier pick up.

The backbone of Doom's neutral game against most of the cast is:
1) get to superjump height. you can either normal jump and then airdash up to preserve the ability to call assists, or you can superjump up (foregoing assist calls until you touch the ground again) in exchange for retaining the ability to air dash later (to make footdives safe, etc.)
2) chuck finger lasers, fly, and chuck more finger lasers to get control of the screen by flooding it with projectiles.
3) make the call on whether you want/need to go on the offensive or not. if you are ahead and/or there's lot of time and/or your opponent can't do anything about it, you can just go back to step one and repeat. otherwise, you can bunny hop in behind the finger lasers still on screen and get your offense going.

I have a few Evo questions if anyone can answer.

1. They are playing on Ps3 right? For pretty much everything. I'm only entering marvel, sf4, and injustice anyway

2. Is there a mod for 360 controllers to use them on ps3? Cause if I don't get a ps3 stick then I'm kinda fucked. I have a 360 stick, so I could use that if there's a mod for it

I think that's it for now. I would ask on srk but their layout was shit last time I was there.

I have a few Evo questions if anyone can answer.

1. They are playing on Ps3 right? For pretty much everything. I'm only entering marvel, sf4, and injustice anyway

2. Is there a mod for 360 controllers to use them on ps3? Cause if I don't get a ps3 stick then I'm kinda fucked. I have a 360 stick, so I could use that if there's a mod for it

I think that's it for now. I would ask on srk but their layout was shit last time I was there.

PS3 everything, not including any side tournaments people might be holding.

Converters and mods do exist. I'm almost sure there will be a modding booth there too (which I should probably attend to not have to rely on the converter since it tends to fail at times for whatever reason)

Top Bottom