• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Finally won my first ranked match after countless losses. Trying so hard to get better but it's tough. Any tips on blocking? I'm horrible at it for some reason. Also, I'm really bad at "chasing down" characters when they are playing keep away.

Zissou

Wow. I just saw a tutorial and people have been using 3 buttons, which I'm not used to coming from sf4; but this shit is super easy now plonking how I would in sf. Thanks!

I feel so dumb

Glad you figured it out. If you're coming from an SF4 background, I imagine your execution will be up to snuff in no time. I couldn't do shit in SF4, but there are very few characters in marvel where I think, "I probably can't play this character no matter how much work I do." In SF4, I thought that about a good chunk of the cast.

Zissou

Finally won my first ranked match after countless losses. Trying so hard to get better but it's tough. Any tips on blocking? I'm horrible at it for some reason. Also, I'm really bad at "chasing down" characters when they are playing keep away.

What is your team?

oops- dp

Zissou

Trish / Haggar / Vergil

Sometimes throw Magneto or Ryu in for Haggar.

Haggar seems out of place on that team. I don't think he gets much support from Vergil, so you probably end up waiting for him to die so that you can try to win with xf3 Vergil. I would consider replacing him with somebody who supports Trish and can function better with just rapid slash assist when Trish dies.

What characters/teams are difficult to block for you? Do you have Haggar because you want lariat as a defensive assist?

Haggar seems out of place on that team. I don't think he gets much support from Vergil, so you probably end up waiting for him to die so that you can try to win with xf3 Vergil. I would consider replacing him with somebody who supports Trish and can function better with just rapid slash assist when Trish dies.

What characters/teams are difficult to block for you? Do you have Haggar because you want lariat as a defensive assist?

I just have trouble blocking, it doesn't matter what team I'm facing. My timing is all wrong. Who would you suggest as a replacement for Haggar?

Zissou

I just have trouble blocking, it doesn't matter what team I'm facing. My timing is all wrong. Who would you suggest as a replacement for Haggar?

You may already know this, so apologies if this advice isn't helpful, but are you familiar with chicken blocking? If you're on the ground and someone is in your face, you often are forced to guess between blocking low or high- you can avoid this by chicken blocking, i.e. holding up-back so you're blocking in the air, where there no possiblity of a high/low mix-up. You can still be punished for doing this- you can be hit low right before you actually jump or you can be air thrown, but it's an important technique to be aware of.

As for replacing Haggar- I think there are a quite a few strong options. Someone with a good projectile assist like Taskmaster or Hawkeye could be a good choice. If you're willing to play a more technical character, you could swap Haggar for Dante (Kbrad plays Trish/Vergil/Dante which is a good team). What kind of characters do you like to use?

edit: Also- go into training mode and practice pushblocking!

Sigmaah

Started playing ZeroMayStrider now and damn strider is not that great without XF :/ low ass damage and low ass health, and how the hell is ouro gonna suck ass and it's a level 3? Da Fuq. But damn Vajra allows me to have my opponent on lockdown a lot more.

Vice

Started playing ZeroMayStrider now and damn strider is not that great without XF :/ low ass damage and low ass health, and how the hell is ouro gonna suck ass and it's a level 3? Da Fuq. But damn Vajra allows me to have my opponent on lockdown a lot more.

If you pop the molly early just get Strider in. He's obnoxious with assists and he can do some decent damage with extensions

ggs Jetman!

sorry the connection cut out; it was bedtime anyways though. as you can tell my doom is still new; any criticism would be appreciated (am i not foot diving enough lol).

good lord dark vergil makes me salty as hell.

You may already know this, so apologies if this advice isn't helpful, but are you familiar with chicken blocking? If you're on the ground and someone is in your face, you often are forced to guess between blocking low or high- you can avoid this by chicken blocking, i.e. holding up-back so you're blocking in the air, where there no possiblity of a high/low mix-up. You can still be punished for doing this- you can be hit low right before you actually jump or you can be air thrown, but it's an important technique to be aware of.

As for replacing Haggar- I think there are a quite a few strong options. Someone with a good projectile assist like Taskmaster or Hawkeye could be a good choice. If you're willing to play a more technical character, you could swap Haggar for Dante (Kbrad plays Trish/Vergil/Dante which is a good team). What kind of characters do you like to use?

edit: Also- go into training mode and practice pushblocking!

Your advice is helpful! I didn't even know what chicken blocking was haha. I've had the game for a while but never tried to really learn the necessities.

Without sounding totally clueless, do you mind me asking what pushblocking is? Is it the same as advancing guard?

As for characters I like, that would be Magneto, Zero, Akuma, and I liked playing Hawkeye when I tried him. I play Dante / Haggar / Trish when with friends and I do pretty good, but online and against strangers who are decent I get destroyed. I only recently started playing Virgil but I'm liking him more than Dante.

I'll take your advice and replace Haggar with someone with a good projectile assist. Thanks for taking the time to help me! :)

JeTmAn81

ggs Jetman!

sorry the connection cut out; it was bedtime anyways though. as you can tell my doom is still new; any criticism would be appreciated (am i not foot diving enough lol).

good lord dark vergil makes me salty as hell.

Haha, so fraudulent. I only started playing him in third recently so I could more easily try Doom infinites in real matches. And of course the lag is always so bad I can never pull it off. Anyway, I took it as a sign from heaven that the connection cut out because it was way past my bedtime anyway. Your Doom seemed good to me. You probably hit more midscreen BnB's than I did. For whatever reason lag seems to keep me from doing that particular combo just about every time but I can do it just fine offline. I was inexplicably free to your anchor Taskmaster though. GG's.

Haha, so fraudulent. I only started playing him in third recently so I could more easily try Doom infinites in real matches. And of course the lag is always so bad I can never pull it off. Anyway, I took it as a sign from heaven that the connection cut out because it was way past my bedtime anyway. Your Doom seemed good to me. You probably hit more midscreen BnB's than I did. For whatever reason lag seems to keep me from doing that particular combo just about every time but I can do it just fine offline. I was inexplicably free to your anchor Taskmaster though. GG's.

hahah yeah, too bad we can't play in lagless conditions; i think we are at very similar skill levels that it would make for a competitive set. your movement with doom was much less predictable than mine.
question: should i be throwing out butter gun/fishing for airthrows more often than box/tri dashing with j.M/L?

anchor taskmaster (for me at least) is fun, does big time damage off airthrow and can kill with simple ass bnbs:
j.H c.L s.MH shield skills xfc s.MH shield skills xx stingmaster super.
come to think of it, i probably have performed an xfactor-less bnb with taskmaster only like a dozen times in matches. i practice it, but never need it.
hell, even shield skills xx stingmaster into super can kill.

JeTmAn81

hahah yeah, too bad we can't play in lagless conditions; i think we are at very similar skill levels that it would make for a competitive set. your movement with doom was much less predictable than mine.
question: should i be throwing out butter gun/fishing for airthrows more often than box/tri dashing with j.M/L?

anchor taskmaster (for me at least) is fun, does big time damage off airthrow and can kill with simple ass bnbs:
j.H c.L s.MH shield skills xfc s.MH shield skills xx stingmaster super.
come to think of it, i probably have performed an xfactor-less bnb with taskmaster only like a dozen times in matches. i practice it, but never need it.
hell, even shield skills xx stingmaster into super can kill.

All that Doom stuff is pretty situational, and I'm no guru so I can't really tell you when to do what. I tend to use the butter gun to lock someone down when approaching, but it can be pushblocked so really I think the best use is to just use it once to cover an assist, then bunny hop in as quickly as possible to go for a mixup while the assist is covering them and they can't pushblock you out. That's when you can either hit them with a c.L or box dash j.M for a high/low.

I have been tending towards doing an air dash downward into j.M from super jump height lately. It seems like that's something Chris G does a lot. Spaced properly it can be really effective, and it hits overhead multiple times and converts into a full combo, so it has to be blocked high unlike footdive and is safer. But sometimes you can just footdive. It seems like dashing into j.M can be a good overall way to approach from the air since the hitbox covers a good area as you're coming down.

I noticed you were getting a lot more air throws than I was. Anything special you do for that? I know in general you should always be prepared to press H plus direction, but I feel like I'm still missing the secret sauce behind the best techniques for getting grabs.

All that Doom stuff is pretty situational, and I'm no guru so I can't really tell you when to do what. I tend to use the butter gun to lock someone down when approaching, but it can be pushblocked so really I think the best use is to just use it once to cover an assist, then bunny hop in as quickly as possible to go for a mixup while the assist is covering them and they can't pushblock you out. That's when you can either hit them with a c.L or box dash j.M for a high/low.

I have been tending towards doing an air dash downward into j.M from super jump height lately. It seems like that's something Chris G does a lot. Spaced properly it can be really effective, and it hits overhead multiple times and converts into a full combo, so it has to be blocked high unlike footdive and is safer. But sometimes you can just footdive. It seems like dashing into j.M can be a good overall way to approach from the air since the hitbox covers a good area as you're coming down.

I noticed you were getting a lot more air throws than I was. Anything special you do for that? I know in general you should always be prepared to press H plus direction, but I feel like I'm still missing the secret sauce behind the best techniques for getting grabs.

thanks, i'll keep that in mind instead of just automatically doing a SJ -> Flight mode and dash around. i do like the superjump thing. i know moons was getting superjump airdash down H with nova for free on a stream recently and it's definitely something i've seen chris g do a lot (i just never practiced it).

as far as airthrows go, i usually try to time them late. like, i'll anticipate an airthrow so that the opponent whiffs a j.H and i try to scoop them from underneath their jump arc. i recall when i picked wesker i had a few damn near instant air grabs.
i've always held back with taskmaster because i don't want to just be doing spidey swings all the time. other than that, i always go for the airthrow towards the nearest corner with nova (doom hard tag) and doom (easier bnb).

So fitting that it's a meter-building card.

wjhiKmw.jpg

Zissou

Your advice is helpful! I didn't even know what chicken blocking was haha. I've had the game for a while but never tried to really learn the necessities.

Without sounding totally clueless, do you mind me asking what pushblocking is? Is it the same as advancing guard?

As for characters I like, that would be Magneto, Zero, Akuma, and I liked playing Hawkeye when I tried him. I play Dante / Haggar / Trish when with friends and I do pretty good, but online and against strangers who are decent I get destroyed. I only recently started playing Virgil but I'm liking him more than Dante.

I'll take your advice and replace Haggar with someone with a good projectile assist. Thanks for taking the time to help me! :)

Yeah, pushblocking = advancing guard. Depending on the timing of pressing the buttons relative to when you actually blocked the attack, how pushblocking pushes back your opponent is different, so if you're not too familiar with marvel yet, it can be helpful to practice a bit (though you'll just naturally get used to it over time).

Of the characters listed, I think Hawkeye and Dante are the best options for Haggar substitutes for your team. You don't have to totally give up on Haggar, but you'd have to make a team to properly support him, otherwise you'll probably end up frustrated.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";66309041]GGs weenmang, sorry I left early, thought my friend was coming over but then he canceled -_-[/QUOTE]

Ggs Beard. I'm still on if you want to keep going.

Zissou

That Joker Doom/Dante THC combo extension is not hard... at all. Just doing my normal corner carry bnb into the THC extension means I can know ToD any character in the game off the opening hit (I don't have Sent, so I do the normal Strider extension instead at the very end). My combo does 1.2 million BEFORE another Doom hyper (which I would have the meter to do, even off the opening hit). I'll make a video with attack data turned on for those curious about the damage.

JeTmAn81

Does it make sense that I would find myself having an easier time hitting combos on the Vita version than I do on the PS3 version? I've been practicing Doom and Magneto infinites lately on both versions and all the combos seem easier to hit on the Vita. Is it because the lag time on the Vita's OLED screen is probably a lot less than it is on my DLP TV, or because of possible PS3 framedrops, or both? I've been getting better on Vita controls, but I still think I'm a lot better with the stick so I don't think it's just being better with the Vita controls.

JeTmAn81

really want to work on those infinites, but seems pointless on the vita :/

I feel like I have honed most of the timing of the M&M's in Doom's infinite loops on the Vita, so that part works fine for me. The part I am really trying to get now is the (one frame?) link between the j.L and s.L to restart the loop. I should probably just learn a version that doesn't use that actually. I feel better equipped to do so now that I have the M&M's timing down.

Zissou

Does it make sense that I would find myself having an easier time hitting combos on the Vita version than I do on the PS3 version? I've been practicing Doom and Magneto infinites lately on both versions and all the combos seem easier to hit on the Vita. Is it because the lag time on the Vita's OLED screen is probably a lot less than it is on my DLP TV, or because of possible PS3 framedrops, or both? I've been getting better on Vita controls, but I still think I'm a lot better with the stick so I don't think it's just being better with the Vita controls.

Probably TV input lag. I switched to playing exclusively on a monitor a while ago and it's a night and day difference. Playing on a laggy display isn't even playing the same game. Add playing online into the mix and it's even worse.

To counteract pushblocking and keep up offensive momentum, I think fwd.H footdive is better than box dash j.M or butter gun (usually). Box dash M/butter gun can pushed blocked (as you mentioned) and your opponent can kind of reset the situation. Fwd.H footdive doesn't force you to use your airdash to approach, so you can airdash cancel if it's blocked and keep pressuring. It's pretty easy to confirm on hit too into a proper combo. Also, if you have a lockdown assist like coldstar or something, you can call it at the same time you airdash cancel through their pushblock, and they'll be forced to block coldstar giving you free mix-up attempts.

Do you option select throws during airdashes? If you always airdash with H~M plinking, you'll automatically grab them if they are ever close enough to you (at least, that's what Magneto players do, I think)

Sigmaah

Why the fuck does Spiral Swords beat out Ouro? It's really disappointing, it really fucking is.

And all motherfuckers do online is fucking lag switch or some shit cause when I combo, it fucking lags and when they combo, oh word no lag swerve.

On the plus side I got to 2nd lord, gonna try to get this rank higher.

WHY IS REGULAR OURO SO BAD?! 3 bars for ouro is stupid, it should be 2, AND LEGION IS SO ASS OMFG WDF CAPCOM. Ragnorak should do 600K.

Do you option select throws during airdashes? If you always airdash with H~M plinking, you'll automatically grab them if they are ever close enough to you (at least, that's what Magneto players do, I think)

hm, never thought of doing that with nova even though i ground plinkdash with H~M. with nova i just airdash with LM and try to hit H as fast as i can, or if i'm fishing for an airthrow i just forgo an airdash; but i do get scooped during the dash animation. i've got to practice that.
does plink airdashing H~M with doom work? i've only tried it a few times and got butter gun, so i use M~H.

Zissou

hm, never thought of doing that with nova even though i ground plinkdash with H~M. with nova i just airdash with LM and try to hit H as fast as i can, or if i'm fishing for an airthrow i just forgo an airdash; but i do get scooped during the dash animation. i've got to practice that.
does plink airdashing H~M with doom work? i've only tried it a few times and got butter gun, so i use M~H.

After hitting training mode for a bit, seems like butter gun makes OSing airthrows during your airdashes impossible (or at least very difficult). It looks like the best you've got it fwd.H footdive to OS and cover mobility plus a throw attempt in the air.

Also, for those curious- I did most of the Joker Doom/Dante THC extension with damage info turned on so you can get an idea of how much it adds after a regular bnb. I didn't realize until after I made the video, but I barely mashed my first hyper- you can actually get more damage (with proper mashing and getting the max hits on the Strider extension video at the end, I can just hit a bit north of 1.2 million before another Doom hyper, which would bring it to about 1.35 million). Anyway, here it is: http://youtu.be/fJ3VE8GRja0

I ordered the Mad Catz SCV stick so hopefully my game will improve a bit. I'm always better at MvC2 at the arcade so I have high hopes for the stick to help me out, even if just a little.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I ordered the Mad Catz SCV stick so hopefully my game will improve a bit. I'm always better at MvC2 at the arcade so I have high hopes for the stick to help me out, even if just a little.
Bah! You should've waited for MadCatz CEO discount codes, which starts tomorrow!

Hopefully you still got a good deal though.

Dahbomb

Seems like in that new Project x Zone game, there is a lot of crossover in stories and characters among the Capcom side. Here's what some DMC fans picked up:

*Arthur not only knew Sparda but fought alongside him as well.

*A lot of the Darkstalker cast knows of the Sparda legend.

Top Bottom