• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Ghazi

Still the #4 seeded player in the world going into EVO. Still the defending EVO Champ.

Also Champ was in a similar situation last year as well. Granted other players have gotten much better since then but he hadn't won a lot of tourneys prior to winning EVO.
Of course! But after winning EVO I had expected him to get better/evolve alongside the people getting better (which he has) and I'd expect him to be winning more smaller tournies (which he hasn't), I'm really excited to see what he does in EVO though, gotta save that Dormammu tech for sometime.

Still the #4 seeded player in the world going into EVO. Still the defending EVO Champ.

Also Champ was in a similar situation last year as well. Granted other players have gotten much better since then but he hadn't won a lot of tourneys prior to winning EVO.
The problem is that Phoenix is not cutting it, but that is all FChamp has been using at tournaments. So when he needs to bring out a "real" team, he's lacking in experience. The last 6 months should have been nothing but Mag/Dormammu/Doom. His stubborn love for a dead character is killing him. Especially since the current meta favors teams that coincidentally counter her.

I would not put money on Champ at this point. He has spent too much time chasing a dream.

Solune

The problem is that Phoenix is not cutting it, but that is all FChamp has been using at tournaments. So when he needs to bring out a "real" team, he's lacking in experience. The last 6 months should have been nothing but Mag/Dormammu/Doom. His stubborn love for a dead character is killing him. Especially since the current meta favors teams that coincidentally counter her.

I would not put money on Champ at this point. He has spent too much time chasing a dream.

Same, When I watched FGTV last year around the same time and he was training, it was beautiful to watch needless to say. His knowledge of the game and his gameplan all came together and putting money on Fchamp was a braindead decision. After EVO last year though his drive didn't stop but he stopped improving. Also his lack of respect for other players has cost him alot of matches, specifically KBR.

Chris G seems the prime candidate to take Marvel this year but who knows with 1300 entrants.

Haven't played in two weeks, planning on picking up a new team, and I fight Chris G for my first match at Evo.

wat do Marvel-GAF

i definitely wouldn't advise this if your first round opponent is Chris.

If you are hell bent on doing so, I'd try to pick a team that could deal with his shenanigans, then deal with dark vergil

i definitely wouldn't advise this if your first round opponent is Chris.

If you are hell bent on doing so, I'd try to pick a team that could do with his shenanigans, then deal with dark vergil

Well, by new team it's mostly adding Iron Man for Unibeam assist, but I'd still have Cap/Nova who I've been playing forever now.

Not sure what I'll do about teams now, this just makes me even more nervous about what to choose.

Well, by new team it's mostly adding Iron Man for Unibeam assist, but I'd still have Cap/Nova who I've been playing forever now.

Not sure what I'll do about teams now, this just makes me even more nervous about what to choose.

captain's shield could essentially get you threw the BS, but I think you'd have to catch Chris with his pants down.

His team is BS. He's probably going to win the whole thing unless he chokes. At least if you lose, you're losing to the "best"

Ghazi

So today I took liberty of recording a few matches, the first one is against a random person online and the second is against the friend who convinced me to buy the game and most of my online experience comes from fighting him and a couple other friends in private lobbies. If you guys could comment/give me some tips it'd be much appreciated. Basically right now I don't feel like I'm doing good at all for the amount of time I've put in this game which honestly isn't that much since I don't play often during the school year and have been busy doing volunteer work for the past month and couldn't dedicate long/commited sessions and I'm free now to practice all day , every day, I have the rest of this month and half August to even attempt to get good at this game. As you can see I can't do much and it all really falls apart against someone who knows what they're doing even if they're holding back. I have gotten a little better since when I first got the game where I button mashed like crazy, but I feel sad that I won more matches that way than what I'm doing now. I understand it's a little stupid to complain of my progress against people who have put 600+ hours into this game like my friends have, but I'm barely doing anything against them. They help me a lot though, I mean today, for example, they taught me how to do Acid Rain loops with Dante and even though they're really easy, they look mad hype.

Here's the first against the random, where you can see a lot of my combos and tactics; I win, but out of sheer luck and he beats me the next game with a different team anyway.

Here's the second one against my really good friend, though it may not look like it since whenever he fights me he always picks random all and holds back like dropping combos, purposely not blocking things even if he doesn't say it himself there's a huge difference between when he's fighting me and when he's fighting other people and I still always get bodied free to him and I don't feel bad or ashamed, he's put in the time and effort in learning to play the game and he's got damn good it. I just wanted to include this video to show how bad I screw up against a competent Marvel player.

In the end, I had to not post a ton of matches because I would put my controller down and let them kill me because I got frustrated and knew I was going to lose. I have a really bad mentality about this game but it's because I've done nothing but get bodied by my friends hundreds of times in the past year where I don't feel like I learn anything. Watching FGC community streams has helped me tremendously though and I'd be angry if they didn't since I've spent more times watching streams that I actually did playing the game during the school year. If you've looked in the FGC weekly thread I've talked about wanting to go to a local arcade and play there, I'm excited about learning a lot of things in person and maybe even playing though I'm sure I'd get eliminated from pools pretty fast. Luckily it looks like I'm not the only high schooler in the local FGC so I'm happy I won't be the only teenager there.

Thanks Dahbomb and everyone else who's helped me because my Wolverine has become much more aggressive since I've taken your advice to heart.

Also, sorry for the shitty quality but this is all I had and the method of recording it required me to play on a 2 inch high and 3 inch wide box on computer.

/endofwhiningandwalloftext

Thanks guys, FrankerZ

Haha, kinda same here, I got morning pool in P4 =.=

We need to organize how to meet up and have matches btw

As soon as I decide whether I'm going to get one of those travel sim-cards or buy an overexpensive travel pack from Rogers for my phone, I'll PM ya some contact info.

And GG's gammabolt. Really fun set.

@DJ Ghazi -- don't get discouraged, it's a hard game to learn and a lot of it is "if you make one mistake, you should lose," so it's extremely unforgiving in that sense. Just remember to keep having fun along the way, or else what's the point of playing, nawmean? You'll see continual progress.

--

Other than my combos not really being there just yet, I think I'm mostly ready for Evo. Taking long breaks really helps break up my stale approaches in this game. With 2/3 pools, just need 2 good tricks to work and win each round lol.

JeTmAn81

GGs, Smedwicks. I had to run and eat dinner. I tried to give you some experience against Chris G's teams. If you do as well against him as you did against me, you should Win!

Apparently the AI on Very Hard in Arcade can block on a whiffed Doom foot dive. Fuck this game.

no-limit-gorilla.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thanks guys, FrankerZ

Vids are blocked here, but I'll watch 'em when I get home.

Are you playing Player matches or Ranked matches right now? It could be my imagination, but there seems to be a larger pool of variable skilled players in Ranked. It also does a fair job of matching you with tougher people if you're on a win streak or weaker people if you're on a losing streak (also could be my imagination).

Ghazi

Vids are blocked here, but I'll watch 'em when I get home.

Are you playing Player matches or Ranked matches right now? It could be my imagination, but there seems to be a larger pool of variable skilled players in Ranked. It also does a fair job of matching you with tougher people if you're on a win streak or weaker people if you're on a losing streak (also could be my imagination).

Ranked, I get put up really high ranks frequently, which is annoying. I've been playing more ranked today and had a good 15 matches with a 9th lord in player matches today too. I'll be on all day if you or anyone else wants to fight me :) for science of course. Also, lol at dat gif

edit: Goddamnit I hate assholes who just sit in corners and burn through 4 bars spamming Storm's level 1. You can't do shit about it either aside from X-Factor, which I didn't have, because Dante's teleport puts you in front of her.

JeTmAn81

Ranked, I get put up really high ranks frequently, which is annoying. I've been playing more ranked today and had a good 15 matches with a 9th lord in player matches today too. I'll be on all day if you or anyone else wants to fight me :) for science of course. Also, lol at dat gif

edit: Goddamnit I hate assholes who just sit in corners and burn through 4 bars spamming Storm's level 1. You can't do shit about it either aside from X-Factor, which I didn't have, because Dante's teleport puts you in front of her.

How'd Storm get 4 bars, and where'd your X-Factor go? These are relevant. Don't forget to pushblock during supers which chip a lot like Hail Storm, as it will reduce the damage you take. In addition, don't fall into the trap of thinking that characters with teleports (like Dante, whose teleport location is above and behind his opponent, not in front) can only use those teleports to advance. Pretty much every teleport in the game is punishable if not protected by an assist so practice advancement by superjumping, normal jumping, airdashing and wavedashing forward on the ground so you have other tools for closing the distance with your opponent.

GGs, Smedwicks. I had to run and eat dinner. I tried to give you some experience against Chris G's teams. If you do as well against him as you did against me, you should Win!

Thanks for the games! When I saw your name in that match I was like "That's a GAFfer, right?" and luckily enough it was!

I'll probably run into a bit more trouble against him, but I'll just see how things will go. Haven't played Marvel for like three weeks before yesterday, still really getting back into it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

In addition to the above, you've got to look for openings. There are key pieces of info missing here. Storm can't just spam Hailstorm in the corner against Dante unless she's covering herself. How is she keeping you out during the startup of Hailstorm?

If she's literally just Hailstorming in the corner, then you should have enough time to wavedash up. Even Dante's slow ass normals can knock her out of startup. Wavedash up, and Stinger is a good closing tool. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can Million Dollars on reaction to Hailstorm startup if you watch her.

The AI also never blocks foot dive or Sentinel c.M.

And yet they block unblockable setups. Magical.

Ghazi

How'd Storm get 4 bars, and where'd your X-Factor go? These are relevant. Don't forget to pushblock during supers which chip a lot like Hail Storm, as it will reduce the damage you take. In addition, don't fall into the trap of thinking that characters with teleports (like Dante, whose teleport location is above and behind his opponent, not in front) can only use those teleports to advance. Pretty much every teleport in the game is punishable if not protected by an assist so practice advancement by superjumping, normal jumping, airdashing and wavedashing forward on the ground so you have other tools for closing the distance with your opponent.

I got left with Dante as my last character and had to X-factor to get out of getting punished because it got laggy and I dropped a combo going into my level one hyper. I managed to kill Capt. America and Hulk and I guess it just built while I was killing them. Storm came in with those four bars and immediately dashed to a corner and started using the super. I used to pushblock a lot but then I'd get hit out of it because I would mash it or mistime it a lot so I've been trying to keep the usage down since I get killed a lot because of it. Looking back on it now I realize the smart thing would've been to do DT after the first Hail Storm and do Flight Mode and fly over it but I can't get any combos going from flight and she probably would've ran away. I teleported because I was wanting to do the Hammer and it worked as I did it fast enough but Hail Storm still came out and I got punished. Dashing forward works? I mean I'd just get pushed back while blocking, superjumping would get me out of there temporarily, but Storm was on the other side of the screen and I would've gotten pushed back (granted, not as much as if I simply dashed forward and blocked) when I fell in. Wavedashing may work though if I do it fast enough.

JeTmAn81

Thanks for the games! When I saw your name in that match I was like "That's a GAFfer, right?" and luckily enough it was!

I'll probably run into a bit more trouble against him, but I'll just see how things will go. Haven't played Marvel for like three weeks before yesterday, still really getting back into it.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw you on ranked. "Oh, a Gaffer!". BTW I was trolling you about the Chris G practice. I don't know how to play Morrigan at all. You better get practicin' against someone who does!

I got left with Dante as my last character and had to X-factor to get out of getting punished because it got laggy and I dropped a combo. I managed to kill Capt. America and Hulk and I guess it just built while I was killing them. Storm came in with those four bars and immediately dashed to a corner and started using the super. I used to pushblock a lot but then I'd get hit out of it because I would mash it or mistime it a lot so I've been trying to keep the usage down since I get killed a lot because of it. Looking back on it now I realize the smart thing would've been to do DT after the first Hail Storm and do Flight Mode and fly over it but I can't get any combos going from flight and she probably would've ran away. I teleported because I was wanting to do the Hammer and it worked as I did it fast enough but Hail Storm still came out and I got punished. Dashing forward works? I mean I'd just get pushed back while blocking, superjumping would get me out of there temporarily, but Storm was on the other side of the screen and I would've gotten pushed back (granted, not as much as if I simply dashed forward and blocked) when I fell in. Wavedashing may work though if I do it fast enough.

If you're in a situation where they're just trying to chip you out with repeated supers, the best thing to do might indeed have been to Devil Trigger up and super jump up and fly out of the range of the supers. That would force Storm to consider other options. After you block one Hail Storm, you should have enough time to jump up and avoid the next one. But you really just don't want to get in a situation like that where you don't have X-Factor to protect yourself from heavy chip. The same thing would apply against Dormammu who can easily chip you out with Purifications and Stalking Flares if he has meter and you have no X-Factor.

Yo, Hawkeye/Dante/Strider is dat team

but my god my XF3 Strider is all over the fuckin' place. Level 3 Orbs, Varja all over the place, mash buttons and hope for the best

azure j pls

Azure J

Tomorrow evening will probably do well for me. I have to get up early tomorrow, so I don't want to get to bed too late.

Once I start playing Marvel, I have a hard time quitting. Pure crack.

I really suck at keeping up with my threads lately, you down for a set in about 6 hours or so?

Yo, Hawkeye/Dante/Strider is dat team

but my god my XF3 Strider is all over the fuckin' place. Level 3 Orbs, Varja all over the place, mash buttons and hope for the best

azure j pls

Haha, I'm rusty as all fuck, but I'll try to help. Any exact things you'd like to know or do I need to put in effort and try to do a catch all "How Do I Stride" post? :p

Which reminds me, anyone have some examples good recent Viper footage for me to learn from? It feels like although I have the mechanical dexterity to use her optimally, I still don't have a solid combination of game plan and fundamentals with her to make people respect her versus picking dudes with Xbox huge normals/hit bubbles and filling the field with them. That stuff is no fun to move through with her. :lol

You don't understand; words haven't been invented to describe how absolutely fraudulent my Strider Hiryu is.

In fact, Hawkeye is the only one I have a good grasp on. Once he's goes down, the lulz begins. But Jam Session/Varja is so SICK for Hawkeye, strong THCs into Million Dollars, etc. I refuse to surrender.

I really suck at keeping up with my threads lately, you down for a set in about 6 hours or so?

Haha, I'm rusty as all fuck, but I'll try to help. Any exact things you'd like to know or do I need to put in effort and try to do a catch all "How Do I Stride" post? :p

Which reminds me, anyone have some examples good recent Viper footage for me to learn from? It feels like although I have the mechanical dexterity to use her optimally, I still don't have a solid combination of game plan and fundamentals with her to make people respect her versus picking dudes with Xbox huge normals/hit bubbles and filling the field with them. That stuff is no fun to move through with her. :lol

should have watched shady k last night play on FGTV.

Azure J

@ViewtifulJC

OK, well you can have this to try and practice certain things from under the Strider section, but keep in mind I haven't updated it in months.

With regards to XF3 Strider, I subscribe to the motto of "no orbs". Your job gets immensely harder to do if you rely on just going button/dash crazy with orbs up especially since everyone now has a semblance of an idea what to do when he starts up. If anything, Orbs are to stall out someone else's X-Factor or install super time, or to guarantee a finish on someone incoming (after cleaning up one or two more characters before with X-Factor time running down). I won't say this is the "correct" method because some people do better with different ideas, but it's something to consider.

I'll have to make an edit soon about learning corner Bird Bomb loops in XF3 because sometimes depending on the confirm you get, HSD will rear its ugly head and BB loops seem to just be somewhat immune to it while adding a shitload of damage to an ender.

Also have to add a note about Snap Back loops. Strider has the nastiest incoming mixups to deal with and sometimes, it's better to treat him like Firebrand where you mix them up and with adequate resources, do your 500K then snap the next guy in and repeat until you've gotten the job done without X-Factor.

Vice

I can't learn plink dashing to at all. Can anyone break it down into the most basic of terms. I've watched the Kbeast tutorial and some others and the videos just aren't clicking for me.

With regards to XF3 Strider, I subscribe to the motto of "no orbs". Your job gets immensely harder to do if you rely on just going button/dash crazy with orbs up especially since everyone now has a semblance of an idea what to do when he starts up. If anything, Orbs are to stall out someone else's X-Factor or install super time, or to guarantee a finish on someone incoming (after cleaning up one or two more characters before with X-Factor time running down). I won't say this is the "correct" method because some people do better with different ideas, but it's something to consider.

I'll have to make an edit soon about learning corner Bird Bomb loops in XF3 because sometimes depending on the confirm you get, HSD will rear its ugly head and BB loops seem to just be somewhat immune to it while adding a shitload of damage to an ender.

Also have to add a note about Snap Back loops. Strider has the nastiest incoming mixups to deal with and sometimes, it's better to treat him like Firebrand where you mix them up and with adequate resources, do your 500K then snap the next guy in and repeat until you've gotten the job done without X-Factor.

I personally feel the same about XF3 Strider, although the reason I barely ever use Ouroboros is because I suck at converting anything off of it and not dropping. Still, Ourobos XF3 or no XF3 certainly still has its more situational uses.

What Bird Bomb loops btw? It'd be nice to have something that kills faster than the formation B relaunch->jH->L Gram loop I do.

The thing about treating Strider as a Firebrand is interesting, it's not guaranteed, but Strider certainly is crazy enough with his mixups to make it work.

You don't understand; words haven't been invented to describe how absolutely fraudulent my Strider Hiryu is.

In fact, Hawkeye is the only one I have a good grasp on. Once he's goes down, the lulz begins. But Jam Session/Varja is so SICK for Hawkeye, strong THCs into Million Dollars, etc. I refuse to surrender.
I just spam teleport m into j.h with Strider. Lots of air grabs and confusion. Just start ending every blockstring into the teleport. It's effective against mosr players. Beyond that, watch Clockw0rk matches.

I just spam teleport m into j.h with Strider. Lots of air grabs and confusion. Just start ending every blockstring into the teleport. It's effective against mosr players. Beyond that, watch Clockw0rk matches.

Personally, I'd rather end blockstrings in Formation B too. Formation B makes everything safe and you'll always be ready to extend your combos.

Azure J

I personally feel the same about XF3 Strider, although the reason I barely ever use Ouroboros is because I suck at converting anything off of it and not dropping. Still, Ourobos XF3 or no XF3 certainly still has its more situational uses.

What Bird Bomb loops btw? It'd be nice to have something that kills faster than the formation B relaunch->jH->L Gram loop I do.

The thing about treating Strider as a Firebrand is interesting, it's not guaranteed, but Strider certainly is crazy enough with his mixups to make it work.

Bird Bomb loops are basically what DrewGrimey does with his XF3 Strider. Basically, a relaunch loop when you get them in the corner that goes:

[Hard Knockdown (from a j.S is better here)] - Bird Bomb - Slide - s.S - jump - double jump instant j.S [Hard Knockdown] - repeat

I mention j.S because there's something about Gram L's knockdown time that makes it difficult to attempt this with. Also, if you're having an issue getting kills in time with that Gram L loop Solar, just add more normals.

Do:

[Confirm into Gram L] - Form B Summon - Form B Shot - s.HS - j.MMH - Gram L - Form B Summon - Form B Shot - s.HS - j.MMH - Gram L - Form B Summon - Form B Shot - s.HS - j.MMHS

Edit: And as soon as I read this over and try something in the lab, the solution for the Gram L version becomes apparent. On the last relauch (where you'd go j.MMHS) Do j.H - Gram L then proceed with the loop.

You're already looking at like over a million easy with this. If you started with a grab, only do the first Gram L sequence then do the j.MMHS finish into the Bird Bomb loop.

Yeah, in AE at least.

same here.

just do it like that then. zissou informed me on this very thread you only need 2 buttons to plinkdash in marvel. so just pretend you're plinking med punch or fierce punch. i plinkdash on ground with H~M because of the throw-tech option select, and in air with doom specifically i use M~L. all others i airdash again with H~M.

Vice

same here.

just do it like that then. zissou informed me on this very thread you only need 2 buttons to plinkdash in marvel. so just pretend you're plinking med punch or fierce punch. i plinkdash on ground with H~M because of the throw-tech option select, and in air with doom specifically i use M~L. all others i airdash again with H~M.

What? I've been trying to go L ~MH. That seems easier.

Ghazi

In addition to the above, you've got to look for openings. There are key pieces of info missing here. Storm can't just spam Hailstorm in the corner against Dante unless she's covering herself. How is she keeping you out during the startup of Hailstorm?

If she's literally just Hailstorming in the corner, then you should have enough time to wavedash up. Even Dante's slow ass normals can knock her out of startup. Wavedash up, and Stinger is a good closing tool. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can Million Dollars on reaction to Hailstorm startup if you watch her.
She wasn't keeping me out :/ she had nothing, I started in the right corner and she came in and immediately did the first Hail Storm and X-factor canceled it and did another one iirc and I couldn't move up. I didn't know what to do because I had lost so much life that fast and didn't react fast and gave her time to dash bak while I was dashing forward, I then tp'd and did Hammer but got hit by another Hail Storm she started a moment before. At that point I died because she was still in X-Factor lvl 3 and I took loads of damage. Also, just to know, by wave dashing do you mean canceling a dash with a directional input (down)? Because I wouldn't think to do that because if I just did that forward anyone could just do a normal on me if I don't react fast enough and put me in a combo, right? I really want to learn how to plink dash in Marvel, I'll probably try to look some tutorials up later.
If you're in a situation where they're just trying to chip you out with repeated supers, the best thing to do might indeed have been to Devil Trigger up and super jump up and fly out of the range of the supers. That would force Storm to consider other options. After you block one Hail Storm, you should have enough time to jump up and avoid the next one. But you really just don't want to get in a situation like that where you don't have X-Factor to protect yourself from heavy chip. The same thing would apply against Dormammu who can easily chip you out with Purifications and Stalking Flares if he has meter and you have no X-Factor.
I think I'll practice that in training with the recording mode, I can at least learn how to time it. Looking at it again I should've planned ahead and snapped Storm in and left eithe Capt America or Hulk last since they don't have too much at their disposal to chip me aside from maybe one of Cap's supers.

Also, I was wondering, do you guys know if it's safe to TP after Ammy's the lightning in that lvl 1 super and do a grab or something?

Top Bottom