• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
She wasn't keeping me out :/ she had nothing, I started in the right corner and she came in and immediately did the first Hail Storm and X-factor canceled it and did another one iirc and I couldn't move up. I didn't know what to do because I had lost so much life that fast and didn't react fast and gave her time to dash bak while I was dashing forward, I then tp'd and did Hammer but got hit by another Hail Storm she started a moment before. At that point I died because she was still in X-Factor lvl 3 and I took loads of damage. Also, just to know, by wave dashing do you mean canceling a dash with a directional input (down)? Because I wouldn't think to do that because if I just did that forward anyone could just do a normal on me if I don't react fast enough and put me in a combo, right? I really want to learn how to plink dash in Marvel, I'll probably try to look some tutorials up later.

I think I'll practice that in training with the recording mode, I can at least learn how to time it. Looking at it again I should've planned ahead and snapped Storm in and left eithe Capt America or Hulk last since they don't have too much at their disposal to chip me aside from maybe one of Cap's supers.

Also, I was wondering, do you guys know if it's safe to TP after Ammy's the lightning in that lvl 1 super and do a grab or something?

A simple wave dash is still enough to move across the screen in 1 second if you can't plinkdash. Wavedashing's when you use a two button press to dash and press down to cancel the recovery of the dash, then perform the two button dash again.

I just watched your videos. lol, my message is still in your inbox. Just some general observations. You probably already know a bunch of this, but I figured I'd just jot some stuff down:

Your biggest issue seems to be just dropping random stuff. It looked like lag may have had something to do with it. I'm not sure if it's the abbreviated Wolverine combo that you're doing, but those drops are, obviously, really dangerous. Mash out that divekick in the aircombo if you have to, just get it out there.

Also, you need to be up in that ass at the start as Wolverine. The first second of a Marvel match should be terrifying for your opponent if you're playing Wolverine. Option select throw into Berserker Slash/Divekick + Assist Call is a simple way to start the match in Wolverine's favor. I'm not a Wolverine player, but I think that's a viable option. Regardless, it would be helpful to have a gameplan and then adapt accordingly to your opponent's response. Like, I'll approach from the air, then do this groundstring into Berserker Slash cross-up, then try to throw if it's blocked. Have something in mind when going into the match.

Also, you have some not very safe groundstrings. You should be using Wolverine's c.L a lot more to hitconfirm into bigger damage. It's safer, counterhits, punishes faster, and can be staggered as a frame trap to bait pushblocks. I noticed you doing c.H a lot, sometimes when the opponent is pretty far away. I'm not sure if that's a messed up input, but it's not the best button to press in those situations.

Do NOT do raw S unless you have a good read or you know that it'll work on your opponent (for example, a raw S blows up some teleport attempts). There are exceptions to this, but it's generally always a bad idea to do. S cannot be canceled and many are unsafe on block. If your opponent is blocking your ground string, do not go into the S. Even with characters where it's safe on block (Wesker), a proper pushblock will force the S to whiff and lead into a vulnerable character.

You also need to call assists more often to cover your approach. You did a few divekicks from pretty high up, but Wolverine didn't have anything covering him and you got punished.

You may want to work on your incoming character mixup. A few times, you did a raw divekick that whiffed, and you didn't call Vergil for a crossup mixup or to maintain pressure. I can understand your reluctance to do so against Strange in case you mistime it, because of his Vishanti super, but the incoming mix-up is so important in Marvel that you'll need to get it down. Wolverine/Vergil is a pair that has nasty nasty mixups on incoming that are important for you to know if you continue to rock that team. You did an Acid Rain mix-up with Dante, which is a fine option, but you did it a little too far away, which made it difficult to capitalize off of.

Then there were just certain things that you didn't block. When jumping in, you should be blocking until you're ready to press a button. Same with your grounded approach.

Ammy is pretty much safe after her super. The way to punish it is to grab her between the different elements. As Dante, you can actually teleport after the fire element and get a free punish with HelmBreaker or KillerBee.

If you wanna play any matches tonight (or anyone for that matter on XBL!), just send me a message.

Frantic

GGs, Azure. Dunno what was up with the lag at the start.

First thing I'm going to comment on is my play. I was playing like shit today. I've been exhausted all day, so I'll partly blame it on that, but the rest was all on me. I was fucking up so many inputs, and I was flailing around like a moron in so many places. Every so often bits of my normal good play came out, but ugh... I'm not even going to blame rust or anything like that. I just haven't really been in the 'zone' for Marvel recently. Might be getting burnt out on it, dunno. :/
cacpcom pls update the game :(

As for you, I thought you were playing pretty well. You actually completed that happy birthday staircase Viper combo and I was mad impressed! And I know you said Zero isn't for you, but I liked the way you played him. Nice and lame, the way he really should be played. I can't really think much else on your play atm, as I was getting irritated at my own play and keep remembering the dumb things I was doing more than anything. >_<

Also, wtf at Viper's j.H at the start of the round. Gotta love a super fast instant overhead airthrow option select. lol

Marz

Anyone want to play some on PSN?

Edit: gotdam someone on PSN is like 4-220 in ranked... talk about dedication lmao.

Dahbomb

God's Beard pls I don't know anything about Vergil
1) Let your first two characters die.
2) Come in with Helm Breaker or air hyper, X factor immediately on block/hit.
3) Turn on DT and scoop up the opponent with Hightime if they got hit or do a Rapid Slash to mix them up, convert from the hit.
4) After killing character throw Round Trip, teleport around them then dash under them to through out a disjointed normal to mix them... kill character.
5) Repeat until win.

3) Turn on DT and scoop up the opponent with Hightime if they got hit or do a Rapid Slash to mix them up, convert from the hit.
4) After killing character throw Round Trip, teleport around them then dash under them to through out a disjointed normal to mix them... kill character.
5) Repeat until win.

wow advanced Yipes strats thx

wait what button do I hold on pad to do round trip in combos Dahbomb pls

Dartastic

Anyone want to play some good old-fashioned who gives a fuck it's America day that's on Xbox? Random select lets just have some fun bullahit

Frantic

Anyone want to play some good old-fashioned who gives a fuck it's America day that's on Xbox? Random select lets just have some fun bullahit
It's been a while since I've played a random select set. Sounds like fun. I'll send you an invite. Probably won't be able to play too long, though.

Azure J

GGs, Azure. Dunno what was up with the lag at the start.

First thing I'm going to comment on is my play. I was playing like shit today. I've been exhausted all day, so I'll partly blame it on that, but the rest was all on me. I was fucking up so many inputs, and I was flailing around like a moron in so many places. Every so often bits of my normal good play came out, but ugh... I'm not even going to blame rust or anything like that. I just haven't really been in the 'zone' for Marvel recently. Might be getting burnt out on it, dunno. :/
cacpcom pls update the game :(

As for you, I thought you were playing pretty well. You actually completed that happy birthday staircase Viper combo and I was mad impressed! And I know you said Zero isn't for you, but I liked the way you played him. Nice and lame, the way he really should be played. I can't really think much else on your play atm, as I was getting irritated at my own play and keep remembering the dumb things I was doing more than anything. >_<

Also, wtf at Viper's j.H at the start of the round. Gotta love a super fast instant overhead airthrow option select. lol

Finally got around to reading this. Cool stuff. My thoughts:

- If you weren't in the zone for Marvel playing that set with me while containing the fuck out of me if I didn't out gimmick you at match start, you might be the best player I've regularly been playing with, no jokes. The aggressive Dante play was fucking superb barring the first few sets where I could see that it was the lag spikes killing you. There were instances where straight up evasion just wasn't enough and as someone who prides himself on movement coming from old school Melee, that was a real eye opening experience. You also have a great set of mix ups from Low Voltage assist that make me envious that I don't have any true horizontal coverage to work with in the neutral.

TL;DR (and excuse my French): ENTER A MAJOR NIGGA. You might be GAF's Green Ace, dispelling myths about Dante left right and center. :p

I kinda feel where you're coming from with the Marvel fatigue though. Most I do nowadays is just practice execution and funky one off setups (which might in large part be the reason why I never get going well enough to feel like I'm getting better) but I'm always up for long sets whenever. I like staying at the top of my game even if I don't progress as fast.

- That Viper staircase combo happy birthday was some "Do the impossible, see the invisible" levels of amazing. I remember it vividly just because of the improbability that was actually juggling the assist first then catching you when you tried to swing at me in the air, slowing down the tempo so you'd both be at the same height then continuing the combo with the Thunder Knuckle H - Vajra assist extension. Too much hype.

My Zero woes were mostly because it felt like I couldn't score hits as easily as I see some other people playing the character do. Maybe I just have an aversion to engaging after pretty much learning this game with a character that couldn't "press buttons/throw coins" often. That and I still can't wrap my head around hanging out at Super Jump height fishing for hits. Feels weird when I don't have access to assists/can't see what's going on at ground level.

- The Viper start of round stuff I pretty much learned from the most hyper aggressive player I ran sets with using the same team (Viper/Dante/Strider). The best part? It also officially gave me a lot of ideas on how to use Jam Session for mixups. Kind mad I didn't get the one tick throw that time when you blocked the overhead + assist and I dashed behind for the low - feint sequence. I really love Viper, but to remain consistent with her is so daunting. I actually wanted to run a lot more rounds, but my siblings got into a foul mood and kinda ruined my high. :lol

"We want players to feel like they can make their own story, much like they can make their own combos."

- Nitsuma-sama, Dev of the Year 2011

#dead

Frantic

- If you weren't in the zone for Marvel playing that set with me while containing the fuck out of me if I didn't out gimmick you at match start, you might be the best player I've regularly been playing with, no jokes.
Honestly, when I'm on my A game(what I like to call my Zen Mode) I feel unstoppable. I've played people I go even/lose against when I'm normal, but when I'm in the zone I body them like ten or more straight. It's sometimes to the point I can't believe it's me playing because I'm playing so well, haha. If only I could play that well all the time. :(

You also have a great set of mix ups from Low Voltage assist that make me envious that I don't have any true horizontal coverage to work with in the neutral.
I have several setups that I do not use because I'm stupid. If I call Trish during a box dash H, I can dash up cr.M any pushblock/upback attempt and then immediately teleport. If they blocked or pushblocked the cr.M, the Low Voltage hits. If they didn't block the cr.M, Low Voltage hits and I come down with a j.M to continue the combo. Additionally, if they blocked/pushblocked, Dante can appear in front or behind the character for the j.M and even come down right on top where he can land in front or behind for the cr.L. It's ridiculously good, but I never think to use it in a match.

Another setup I have is after a Grapple that I discovered just after our set. I stick out cr.H to perfect meaty them on wake up, and I can either teleport or Bold Move for a super fast left/right that cannot be pushblocked or punished. The cr.H catches raw tag attempts, and since it's a normal I can bold move any invincible reversal supers.

Low Voltage is good, man. lol

TL;DR (and excuse my French): ENTER A MAJOR NIGGA. You might be GAF's Green Ace, dispelling myths about Dante left right and center. :p
Haha, hopefully one day!

My Zero woes were mostly because it felt like I couldn't score hits as easily as I see some other people playing the character do. Maybe I just have an aversion to engaging after pretty much learning this game with a character that couldn't "press buttons/throw coins" often. That and I still can't wrap my head around hanging out at Super Jump height fishing for hits. Feels weird when I don't have access to assists/can't see what's going on at ground level.
I've got a lot of Zero experience, so I know his spots and approaches. Every Zero I play has to struggle to get hits on me with him - even ScumBag Stone - so I wouldn't worry too much.

- The Viper start of round stuff I pretty much learned from the most hyper aggressive player I ran sets with using the same team (Viper/Dante/Strider). The best part? It also officially gave me a lot of ideas on how to use Jam Session for mixups. Kind mad I didn't get the one tick throw that time when you blocked the overhead + assist and I dashed behind for the low - feint sequence. I really love Viper, but to remain consistent with her is so daunting. I actually wanted to run a lot more rounds, but my siblings got into a foul mood and kinda ruined my high. :lol[/QUOTE]

JeTmAn81

Zero's typical neutral game gets effed by Vajra. I love seeing that smug face get swatted down because he thought he was king of the air.

This is the part where I'm supposed to come in and stan for the Dante/Strider shell, but Hawkeye/Vergil/Strider sounds legitimately pants on head retarded in a good (annoying) way. :lol

combo2ucu85.gif

Dahbomb

Zero's typical neutral game gets effed by Vajra. I love seeing that smug face get swatted down because he thought he was king of the air.
Not really because j.H stuffs out Vajra call. He just has to be wary of it like every character in the game... or you know block once in a while.

Grecco

5) Repeat until win.

This amounts to what i do with vergil :( im a fraud

Mœbius

Ok guys, VF (and sometimes SF) player here, thinking of giving Marvel another chance (not really played since vanilla), thinking of running the following team(s):

Wolverine
Strange and / or Iron Man
Strider

Iron Fist
Morrigan
Phoenix and / or Akuma

Thoughts on general synergy potential, and in particular assists to use...? Trying to avoid the usual team combinations, so not looking for "replace Iron Fist with Doom" and "replace Strange / Iron Man with Vergil". Just looking for general advice about these characters and how to approach learning them; messed around with Wolverine, Akuma, and Strider in the mission and training modes, and think I've got their play styles and execution down (to a basic level)... but no idea about the rest, so fundamentals, bnbs, tricks, and tips are welcome.

Frantic

Today I learned that after Skrull techs a ground throw, he's airborne and just drops to the ground. It's really weird.

Not really. It does require Zero to play a little differently, but good ones have no problems sniping him out of the air. However, Dante's tools combined with Vajra definitely give Zero issues - Vajra on its own, however, does not give him that many issues. Not like some characters.

Solune

I don't recommend Strider with Wolverine at all since he can't capitalize from a stray Vajra, unless you are running Gram or Murakumo assist. Wolverine with Bolts of Balthakk sounds pretty nasty even if he doesn't have a command grab. Eye of Agamatto for extensions is good too. Iron Man may be a better pick for the second team if only because of Unibeam.

I think if you use Morrigan's assist with Iron Fist's meter build chi you can get around 2.5 meters per combo. Akuma is ok with Iron Fist if you watch some of Justin Wong's play with IF+Tatsu assist. Iron Fist has hard hitconfirms from the air though. It might be better to run Shadow Blade assist for Iron Fist so that you can Crossover Counter into full combos assuming you're not running Phoenix.

5) Repeat until win.
Words of wisdom.

Vice

Ok guys, VF (and sometimes SF) player here, thinking of giving Marvel another chance (not really played since vanilla), thinking of running the following team(s):

Wolverine
Strange and / or Iron Man
Strider

Iron Fist
Morrigan
Phoenix and / or Akuma

Thoughts on general synergy potential, and in particular assists to use...? Trying to avoid the usual team combinations, so not looking for "replace Iron Fist with Doom" and "replace Strange / Iron Man with Vergil". Just looking for general advice about these characters and how to approach learning them; messed around with Wolverine, Akuma, and Strider in the mission and training modes, and think I've got their play styles and execution down (to a basic level)... but no idea about the rest, so fundamentals, bnbs, tricks, and tips are welcome.

Strider doesn't give much to the first team. Wolverine and Strange can't get much off vajra. Wolverine backed by unibeam or bolts is really scary though. Maybe Wolverine/Strange/Iron Man would work.

Mœbius

I don't recommend Strider with Wolverine at all since he can't capitalize from a stray Vajra, unless you are running Gram or Murakumo assist. Wolverine with Bolts of Balthakk sounds pretty nasty even if he doesn't have a command grab. Eye of Agamatto for extensions is good too. Iron Man may be a better pick for the second team if only because of Unibeam.

I think if you use Morrigan's assist with Iron Fist's meter build chi you can get around 2.5 meters per combo. Akuma is ok with Iron Fist if you watch some of Justin Wong's play with IF+Tatsu assist. Iron Fist has hard hitconfirms from the air though. It might be better to run Shadow Blade assist for Iron Fist so that you can Crossover Counter into full combos assuming you're not running Phoenix.

Thanks! Really clueless about assists so i'll try out what you've highlighted.

So in the second team do you mean replacing Morrigan with Iron Man or putting him on point in place of Iron Fist?

As for Wolvie and Strider being together; yeah I already felt that they would be a weird combination and not quite complimentary - but both have gameplay styles that I enjoy and am able to wrap my head around so I'd like to try and make it work... we'll see.

Strider doesn't give much to the first team. Wolverine and Strange can't get much off vajra. Wolverine backed by unibeam or bolts is really scary though. Maybe Wolverine/Strange/Iron Man would work.
Hmm ok... for some reason I didn't envisage Iron Man as an anchor character but i'll give that a try too. While i'm at it, i might also mess around with putting Strider on point in place of Wolverine on that team... though I imagine the results would be messy given his low health; don't think i've seen anyone running a Strider on point team.

Solune

Thanks! Really clueless about assists so i'll try out what you've highlighted.

So in the second team do you mean replacing Morrigan with Iron Man or putting him on point in place of Iron Fist?

As for Wolvie and Strider being together; yeah I already felt that they would be a weird combination and not quite complimentary - but both have gameplay styles that I enjoy and am able to wrap my head around so I'd like to try and make it work... we'll see.

Sorry my writing was all over the place, I meant it might be better to have Iron Man over Strange on your first team since beams are Wolvie's best friends.

For the second team I mean that if you're going to use that team in that particular order, when using Phoenix , use the meter assist. However if you use Akuma it might be better to put Morrigan on Shadow Blade assist. I really feel that isn't a good team tbh. Not because Iron Fist is bad but because the synergy is lacking. If you're willing to grind it out to make it work though then more power to you. I feel that Iron Fist's Rising Fang assist is his best virtue so it might be better to make a team with that.

Smed pls

you have to perfect ChrisG with Iron Man's theme song playing

do it for Enzo

If I wasn't playing Chris G first round I would definitely play Iron Man, but I'm already gonna be one down so I need to stick with what I know/what I'm decent with.

Just have too many team variations and not sure what to stick with.

Plus I'm a Cap player through and through, I wanna beat Chris G with some Charging Stars.

Dahbomb

He's not even going to be in Charging Star space. He will be up in the air throwing fireballs where you can't touch him. Everyone thinks Cap is some magical answer to Morrigan, he's not... any Morrigan player getting beat by Caps should feel bad for being so bad.

Best you can hope for is sniping the assist.

Oh, believe me, I know he won't be on the ground or getting hit by Charging Stars, I've seen Chris play plenty of times, it was mostly a joke on my part :p

I just meant that I'm going to be playing what I'm most comfortable with because I have no real time to try and get good with a "counter".

Dahbomb

What's your team though? Maybe some advice is in order. Probably won't help much but at least you can give some feedback on what you tried which worked and didn't.

My best advice is to use the most low execution and simple team that you have. I mean the worst thing you want happening against ChrisG is catching the jitters and you losing to yourself.

What's your team though? Maybe some advice is in order. Probably won't help much but at least you can give some feedback on what you tried which worked and didn't.

My best advice is to use the most low execution and simple team that you have. I mean the worst thing you want happening against ChrisG is catching the jitters and you losing to yourself.

I have a number of different teams that I've been running with so I guess I'll just list them all.

Cap/Nova/Ammy
Cap/Doom/Ammy
Cap/Nova/Doom

Those are the main ones, tried to run Cap/Iron Man/Nova as per Killer Sasa (I think it was? My bad if I'm getting the person wrong)'s advice, but I know I won't be able to get a decent Iron Man down in 7 days, whether it would be against Chris G or not.

Cap is far and away my best character, and is the one I'd want to stick with most, just not sure where to go from there.

Oh, I'm also sorta decent with Taskmaster too, but dropped him due to not really getting anywhere with him in the long run.

Top Bottom