• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

Why Ammy in a Cap team? Cap gets no real mix ups off of Ammy and it doesn't help you get in nor does it make your Charging Stars safe.

Honestly I would run Cap/Nova/Doom on Beam. Beam can nullify the assist calls and allow you to get in which Cold Shots will not help you with. Cap HCS into Nova hyper is boat loads of easy damage too.

Why Ammy in a Cap team? Cap gets no real mix ups off of Ammy and it doesn't help you get in nor does it make your Charging Stars safe.

Honestly I would run Cap/Nova/Doom on Beam. Beam can nullify the assist calls and allow you to get in which Cold Shots will not help you with. Cap HCS into Nova hyper is boat loads of easy damage too.

Main reason I was running Ammy was because of the Doom/Ammy and the Nova/Ammy shell.

I'll probably go back to Cap/Nova/Doom though, definitely what I worked with the longest and it'll probably be my best bet (not necessarily against Chris G, just in general).

Ghazi

A simple wave dash is still enough to move across the screen in 1 second if you can't plinkdash. Wavedashing's when you use a two button press to dash and press down to cancel the recovery of the dash, then perform the two button dash again.

I just watched your videos. lol, my message is still in your inbox. Just some general observations. You probably already know a bunch of this, but I figured I'd just jot some stuff down:

Your biggest issue seems to be just dropping random stuff. It looked like lag may have had something to do with it. I'm not sure if it's the abbreviated Wolverine combo that you're doing, but those drops are, obviously, really dangerous. Mash out that divekick in the aircombo if you have to, just get it out there.

Also, you need to be up in that ass at the start as Wolverine. The first second of a Marvel match should be terrifying for your opponent if you're playing Wolverine. Option select throw into Berserker Slash/Divekick + Assist Call is a simple way to start the match in Wolverine's favor. I'm not a Wolverine player, but I think that's a viable option. Regardless, it would be helpful to have a gameplan and then adapt accordingly to your opponent's response. Like, I'll approach from the air, then do this groundstring into Berserker Slash cross-up, then try to throw if it's blocked. Have something in mind when going into the match.

Also, you have some not very safe groundstrings. You should be using Wolverine's c.L a lot more to hitconfirm into bigger damage. It's safer, counterhits, punishes faster, and can be staggered as a frame trap to bait pushblocks. I noticed you doing c.H a lot, sometimes when the opponent is pretty far away. I'm not sure if that's a messed up input, but it's not the best button to press in those situations.

Do NOT do raw S unless you have a good read or you know that it'll work on your opponent (for example, a raw S blows up some teleport attempts). There are exceptions to this, but it's generally always a bad idea to do. S cannot be canceled and many are unsafe on block. If your opponent is blocking your ground string, do not go into the S. Even with characters where it's safe on block (Wesker), a proper pushblock will force the S to whiff and lead into a vulnerable character.

You also need to call assists more often to cover your approach. You did a few divekicks from pretty high up, but Wolverine didn't have anything covering him and you got punished.

You may want to work on your incoming character mixup. A few times, you did a raw divekick that whiffed, and you didn't call Vergil for a crossup mixup or to maintain pressure. I can understand your reluctance to do so against Strange in case you mistime it, because of his Vishanti super, but the incoming mix-up is so important in Marvel that you'll need to get it down. Wolverine/Vergil is a pair that has nasty nasty mixups on incoming that are important for you to know if you continue to rock that team. You did an Acid Rain mix-up with Dante, which is a fine option, but you did it a little too far away, which made it difficult to capitalize off of.

Then there were just certain things that you didn't block. When jumping in, you should be blocking until you're ready to press a button. Same with your grounded approach.

Ammy is pretty much safe after her super. The way to punish it is to grab her between the different elements. As Dante, you can actually teleport after the fire element and get a free punish with HelmBreaker or KillerBee.

If you wanna play any matches tonight (or anyone for that matter on XBL!), just send me a message.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this, was out celebrating 'MERICA day to check all the community threads I'm involved in. Yeah lol I usually keep messages, I had cleaned out my inbox but decided to keep that message. I play on a Street Fighter x Tekken pad so when I wavedash I have one of the shoulder buttons set to L+M+H, I'll probably change that to L+M since I had a discussion about that with a friend today asking if I should change it to 2 button's instead of 3 like it was before. Also, I looked up what Option Select means since I'm not familiar with the terminology but I'm still confused, Option Select throw into Berserker Slash/Divekick? There's only 2 ways to do a throw (forward and back) and you can't combo off them iirc so I know I'm being an idiot and not understanding this Also, I actually was doing some Berserker Slash cross ups today when I discovered how useful they were! I've been trying to be more offensive with Wolverine, but I don't exactly have a plan.

Yeah, I drop a lot of things randomly due to my muscles/nerves spasming or something and my fingers stop working for momentarily so overcoming that's something I'll have to work on! I think those c. H's were me screwing up the input for Berserker Slash H, I did it a lot and my execution is pretty bad on this game. I also need to work on adding more m and h's to my Wolverine combo since those are important for max damage. I'll try to throw in some more c. L's when attempting to open them up since they don't have that many cons, I've just got to be sure I don't mash it since it'll turn into Swiss Cheese. I definitely understand how doing raw S's are really bad, a problem I have is going into muscle memory/autopilot mode even when something doesn't hit since I don't react fast enough to stop myself, I'm assuming your referring to that raw S with Dante then Clay Pigeon where I got punished.

Calling assists, because like I said earlier that I use that pad I end up mapping both my assists to the two extra face buttons on the pad. This leads to the issue where before I could press the bumpers on the default controller while I did stuff with my thumb on the face buttons to where I'd now have to play claw if I didn't want to take my thumb off the attack face buttons for a second. That's why I generally don't call in assists much at all in any match up, it wasn't just because of Strange. I realize that's extremely bad to do, I just haven't had the opportunity until recently to put in the time to learn to play claw on my pad. I have the left shoulder button mapped to L just Vergil Round Trips and the right one to L+M+H as mentioned earlier for supers and dashing, which makes me lose my two easy access shoulder buttons. I'd love to get rid of the left one just so I could throw in Assist 2 for Vergil's assist but then I can't easily do Round Trip.

When jumping in, on specific characters, I try to do divekicks or other things because I really don't want to get in a situation where the teleport or dash behind me and get an easy cross up since I'm extremely susceptible to those, obviously it doesn't work out well often but I don't have any other choice most of the time. I'll also try practicing the timing between punishing that Ammy super tomorrow, but wouldn't doing a Hammer work better after a teleport instead of helm breaker since it comes out faster?

Also, I've been meaning to play some matches with you so ill definitely hit you up the next time you're on and I'm free.

Marz

Guys any thoughts on Wolverine/Mags/Doom? People say Mags and Wolvie don't give each other anything but if I run Mags with Hyper Grav assist I can still get pickups and Plasma Beam is great for both Mags and Wolvie. Shockwave also DHCs pretty godlike out of double fatal claw. Also got two characters with THC infinites behind Wolverine.

Mœbius

Sorry my writing was all over the place, I meant it might be better to have Iron Man over Strange on your first team since beams are Wolvie's best friends.

For the second team I mean that if you're going to use that team in that particular order, when using Phoenix , use the meter assist. However if you use Akuma it might be better to put Morrigan on Shadow Blade assist. I really feel that isn't a good team tbh. Not because Iron Fist is bad but because the synergy is lacking. If you're willing to grind it out to make it work though then more power to you. I feel that Iron Fist's Rising Fang assist is his best virtue so it might be better to make a team with that.

Ahh I see, ok. Well I guess I'll experiement with both in any case.

Yeah, with the second team I can't quite figure out which approach is best for me - I remember Morrigan having the meter building assist from Vanilla and it seems like good synergy to have her there building meter for Phoenix; but on the other hand I'm not sure if that's even the general strategy / style I want to play (i.e. building meter for Dark Phoenix). I'm not even sure if I want Phoenix on my team, but I do really want to give Iron Fist a shot... any suggestions for characters (other than the ones I've mentioned) who might work well with Iron Fist?

Solune

Ahh I see, ok. Well I guess I'll experiement with both in any case.

Yeah, with the second team I can't quite figure out which approach is best for me - I remember Morrigan having the meter building assist from Vanilla and it seems like good synergy to have her there building meter for Phoenix; but on the other hand I'm not sure if that's even the general strategy / style I want to play (i.e. building meter for Dark Phoenix). I'm not even sure if I want Phoenix on my team, but I do really want to give Iron Fist a shot... any suggestions for characters (other than the ones I've mentioned) who might work well with Iron Fist?

If you want point Iron Fist... I'd have a horizontal assist character as your anchor. Sentinel, Doom, Strange on bolts, etc. and your second assist character for mixups or extensions. My personal favorite is Nova on Centurion Rush since it sets up IF's unblockable and resets his ground bounce when timed properly. A popular pick with IF is Spencer for Slant shot since he gets an additional crumple.

Iron Fist/Spencer(slant shot)/Strange(bolts) is a pretty good team for approaching and getting extensions and good damage.

Iron Fist/Dante(Jam Session)/ (Strider or Sentinel) Basically this team is anti-air loaded, you want to keep your opponent grounded to get your overhead in or stagger them.

When running Iron Fist with Rising Fang assist, teleporter or characters with command dash because the left right mixup is so so so good and pretty much leads into a full combo every time. He also nullifies projectiles when coming out and its very fast.

Another thing to remember is that Iron Fist's THC super is ALWAYS Fists of Fury and that's completely horizontal so it doesn't mesh with character with verticals THCs and other stuff.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Put simply, an option select is putting in an input or series of inputs that can result in several favorable outcomes (options) depending on what your opponent does. In the link you posted, they describe how crouch teching in SFIV is an option select because you will either tech an opponent's throw attempt or you will come out with a c.LK, but in both cases you will simply have to have pressed LP+LK while holding down. It's a risk mitigation technique.

In Marvel, throws are so good (1 frame) and can lead to big damage, or at least heavy momentum. Throws are performed with forward + H, but if your opponent is out of range, you'll simply perform a s.H or a j.H instead, which Wolverine can also capitalize on. So, you either get an H or a throw - a simple option select. If your opponent techs the throw or blocks the H, you should be able to follow it up with a Berserker Slash or a Divekick, depending on if you're on the ground or in the air. And you can definitely combo off of throws... Wolverine needs an assist or X-Factor to do so, but a Wolverine team needs to have that setup available to him. Both Vergil or Dante assist can pick up the character after a Woilverine claw ground slide (DF+M) for a full combo.

You don't have to call assists at the same time as you're pressing a button for incoming mixups. Call Vergil, jump up and Divekick. Assists as face buttons are fine. That's what I do. And I have the Right Trigger set as L+M and the Left Trigger set as L (or S if I'm playing as Phoenix Wright).

If you don't training mode, then you probably want to. Repeating motions, moves, and combos is the only way to retrain your muscle memory... and training mode is the easiest place to do that.

For the Ammy punish, Hammer works, too. Anything works since you're behind her, and in the blind spot of the super.

I posted on SRK but I might get an answer faster here. I think I also asked on here before too....

Anyway, my stick is fucked and I need to use either a 360 pad or a PS2 pad. What are my options to make this happen? Do I have to use a wired 360 controller, cause I'd rather use the one with the rotating pad.

Mango if your playing on PS3 you can use most any USB controllers. I love using my 6 button genesis controller for retro games.

If your speaking about 360 I think there are PS2/PS3 converter plugs you can buy online.

Oh...I should've included the tidbit of it being for Evo. So yeah I know they use PS3's, so I need to be able to use a 360 controller. Do I need an adapter or something? I was looking on amazon but had no luck. Any recommendations?

Already feel like I'm doing a lot better with my old team but switching back to beam.

Too bad most online is absolutely unbearable so I don't really do much of the "advanced" stuff I want to do.

Frantic

I had a funny moment where I caused a hard-knockdown, backed up in anticipation of a roll forward, then TK'd a Vortex(a completely random, spur of the moment decision) as the other person was starting to recover and bopped a wakeup button press into full combo. Might have to start using it more often since even if they don't push a button there's a ton of frame advantage to be had off a TK'd Vortex.

Oh...I should've included the tidbit of it being for Evo. So yeah I know they use PS3's, so I need to be able to use a 360 controller. Do I need an adapter or something? I was looking on amazon but had no luck. Any recommendations?

Oh okay. I don't ever recall someone wanting to use a 360 controller on a PS3. I know there are PS2/3 converters for 360 but not the other way around. I don't know if a wired 360 controller would work or not. Are they USB?

Sigmaah

Thinking about dropping Strider. He's such a buns ass anchor... How about anchor Dorm? Maybe ill go back to Wesker anchor, I dunno wdf to do.

Oh okay. I don't ever recall someone wanting to use a 360 controller on a PS3. I know there are PS2/3 converters for 360 but not the other way around. I don't know if a wired 360 controller would work or not. Are they USB?

There are 360<->PS3 converters, I have one. The problem is that only one can be connected to a console at the same time, a second one just won't be detected at all, which is why I want to get a PS3 stick or mod my 360 one right before the tournament.

Sigmaah

I really don't know why I stopped playing ranked(well, lag but) started up again and damn I take the matches a lot more serious now. Changing up strats depening on what character I'm fighting now, and I just love seeing that rank meter go up! now I'm at 1st lord, tryna get high lord and be set with that.

Yes they are usb. Doesn't Fanatiq use a 360 controller?
Thinking about dropping Strider. He's such a buns ass anchor... How about anchor Dorm? Maybe ill go back to Wesker anchor, I dunno wdf to do.
Anchor Strider is great.........as long as you're fighting only 2 other characters and you have 3 bars or more. After orbs and xf run out.....you'd better be a smart motherfucker. I run anchor Strider all the time though. In fact my anchors are almost always Strider or Sentinel. Every time I play Vergil I just wonder why I don't just play Vergil
There are 360<->PS3 converters, I have one. The problem is that only one can be connected to a console at the same time, a second one just won't be detected at all, which is why I want to get a PS3 stick or mod my 360 one right before the tournament.
Thanks for that info. You have any links to any...or the one that you have?
Ask in the FGW thread.
Will do.

Ghazi

Put simply, an option select is putting in an input or series of inputs that can result in several favorable outcomes (options) depending on what your opponent does. In the link you posted, they describe how crouch teching in SFIV is an option select because you will either tech an opponent's throw attempt or you will come out with a c.LK, but in both cases you will simply have to have pressed LP+LK while holding down. It's a risk mitigation technique.

In Marvel, throws are so good (1 frame) and can lead to big damage, or at least heavy momentum. Throws are performed with forward + H, but if your opponent is out of range, you'll simply perform a s.H or a j.H instead, which Wolverine can also capitalize on. So, you either get an H or a throw - a simple option select. If your opponent techs the throw or blocks the H, you should be able to follow it up with a Berserker Slash or a Divekick, depending on if you're on the ground or in the air. And you can definitely combo off of throws... Wolverine needs an assist or X-Factor to do so, but a Wolverine team needs to have that setup available to him. Both Vergil or Dante assist can pick up the character after a Woilverine claw ground slide (DF+M) for a full combo.

You don't have to call assists at the same time as you're pressing a button for incoming mixups. Call Vergil, jump up and Divekick. Assists as face buttons are fine. That's what I do. And I have the Right Trigger set as L+M and the Left Trigger set as L (or S if I'm playing as Phoenix Wright).

If you don't training mode, then you probably want to. Repeating motions, moves, and combos is the only way to retrain your muscle memory... and training mode is the easiest place to do that.

For the Ammy punish, Hammer works, too. Anything works since you're behind her, and in the blind spot of the super.

Ah ok, so Berserker Slash is safe on block? I know that cancelling stuff into Wolverine's Berserker Rage makes stuff safe. Sweet, I'll try calling in assists more often when it's safe and try to get used to that.

I do Training Mode, a lot, my issue that when school's happening I'm only playing for a couple hours a week so my execution and knowledge turn terrible during the downtime and I don't get an opportunity to practice. I'll be spending a lot of time there working on Wolverine, the thing is I've spent over half my time in Training practicing Dante bold cancelling stuff and combos with him and he's still the weakest character on my team, I generally get nothing done with him and it's all Wolverine and Vergil doing the work. I usually can't open enemies up with him and generally if I do I've pushed them back too far to do a bold cancel combo. I can do nothing in the air with him aside from Hammer so that's all I have to work with if they start flying or jumping around, though a friend offered to teach me some anti-air stuff with Dante I refused because I was angry at him at the time (He was being an ass with Magneto and doing shit he knows I can't counter without explaining to me how to counter it), I'll probably take him up on that offer another day.

Azure J

First off, what in the world are you doing with Strider to consider him "buns"? :lol

Second, I guess you can roll with anchor Vergil again. No, this isn't a clever attempt to set people up with characters that are free as fuck to a Viper unblockable on incoming.

ibppfeZg9Qg5wP.png

JeTmAn81

I had a funny moment where I caused a hard-knockdown, backed up in anticipation of a roll forward, then TK'd a Vortex(a completely random, spur of the moment decision) as the other person was starting to recover and bopped a wakeup button press into full combo. Might have to start using it more often since even if they don't push a button there's a ton of frame advantage to be had off a TK'd Vortex.

I have always been an advocate of TK'ed Vortexes. No clue why people don't use it more. Any fully invincible move should be abused to the max.

Frantic

I have always been an advocate of TK'ed Vortexes. No clue why people don't use it more. Any fully invincible move should be abused to the max.
DP TKs are hard dawg. It's why Zero will never be viable!

But it's mainly because there's so much shit that goes on in Marvel that if you're not on the ball with your TK Vortex, you can very easily die right then and there. I also die a little every time TK Thunder Bolt comes out instead. :(

Vice

Ah ok, so Berserker Slash is safe on block? I know that cancelling stuff into Wolverine's Berserker Rage makes stuff safe. Sweet, I'll try calling in assists more often when it's safe and try to get used to that.

I do Training Mode, a lot, my issue that when school's happening I'm only playing for a couple hours a week so my execution and knowledge turn terrible during the downtime and I don't get an opportunity to practice. I'll be spending a lot of time there working on Wolverine, the thing is I've spent over half my time in Training practicing Dante bold cancelling stuff and combos with him and he's still the weakest character on my team, I generally get nothing done with him and it's all Wolverine and Vergil doing the work. I usually can't open enemies up with him and generally if I do I've pushed them back too far to do a bold cancel combo. I can do nothing in the air with him aside from Hammer so that's all I have to work with if they start flying or jumping around, though a friend offered to teach me some anti-air stuff with Dante I refused because I was angry at him at the time (He was being an ass with Magneto and doing shit he knows I can't counter without explaining to me how to counter it), I'll probably take him up on that offer another day.

Air to air use air.M. Airplay(guitar) is also a great aerial move. Also, air.S canceled into hammer, airplay or divekick is useful. You have to cancel the divekick into devil trigger to make it safe on block though.

On the ground Crystal really stalls tridash approaches. Standing M is a great anti air.

You can also use devil trigger and try to zone him out with lightning or just overwhelm with vortex.

Sigmaah

Anchor Strider is great.........as long as you're fighting only 2 other characters and you have 3 bars or more. After orbs and xf run out.....you'd better be a smart motherfucker. I run anchor Strider all the time though. In fact my anchors are almost always Strider or Sentinel. Every time I play Vergil I just wonder why I don't just play Vergil

I like anchor strider but I can't really kill a high health character with XF3 without wasting so much time of XF. I'm just use to killing a char in one combo like most other anchors can do in XF3. ill lab it up and find something lol.

First off, what in the world are you doing with Strider to consider him "buns"? :lol

Second, I guess you can roll with anchor Vergil again. No, this isn't a clever attempt to set people up with characters that are free as fuck to a Viper unblockable on incoming.

ibppfeZg9Qg5wP.png

Lmao, I can't roll with anchor Vergil anymore, I like playing him second. If Zero fails, I can rely on Vergil/Strider. Funny thing is since ppl see strider last, they snap him in and try to kill him and if they do, I ain't worrying, got that Vergil XF3 on deck! Pop that Molly and we sweatin SON.

Dahbomb

Wolverine's Berserker Slash is definitely not safe on block. Its the whole point of using assists with Wolverine. Otherwise he would fish with Berserker Slashes all day until he got a hit and then BC it to combo. He can't throw it out willy nilly, either an assist has to cover him or he needs meter/XF to make it safe.

Fuck Zero's j.H.......like seriously fuck that shit all the way to hell. I mean is there a move any more retarded than that? It's like there's never a bad time to use it....EVER.

Frantic

Fuck Zero's j.H.......like seriously fuck that shit all the way to hell. I mean is there a move any more retarded than that? It's like there's never a bad time to use it....EVER.
Vergil's s.L/H/S all gain a thousand times more salt than Zero's j.H. I can actually outspace Zero's j.H and punish him - and if you're really on the ball, you can throw him in between spins. Good luck trying that with Vergil's normals since they take up half the screen! /dailyvergilsalt

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Using it from super jump height is a bad idea, as I'm pretty sure it can't be buster canceled. Easy throw bait.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

No, it's definitely not safe on its own, even though it can be made safe with Berserk Rage. As DahBomb said above, the whole point of calling assist + Berserker Slash is to make it safe.

That's no surprise. Dante is a ton harder to play than either of your other two characters. He takes practice, not just to get combos down, but to control properly.

Look up optimal combos on Youtube. Your team is a popular one... at least the Wolvie/Vergil pairing. Just look up videos of PR Rog playing and watch what he does at the beginning of the matches and what combos he performs. Emulate those to the best of your ability. Look at what he does on an incoming character.

For Dante play, look at Yipes and GreenAce, I'd say. Proper Dante play is a mix of zoning and offense. He has to be very careful with his buttons since they get beaten very very easily, and needs to look for openings in his opponents' game.

Top Bottom