• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Ghazi

Why isn't anyone good with Thor? He's a god damn grappler but no one uses him that way/knows

Dude, you have to fight my friend; he mains Thor and kicks total ass with him.

It's fucking ridiculous, also fuck Mighty Punish ;P

Air to air use air.M. Airplay(guitar) is also a great aerial move. Also, air.S canceled into hammer, airplay or divekick is useful. You have to cancel the divekick into devil trigger to make it safe on block though.

On the ground Crystal really stalls tridash approaches. Standing M is a great anti air.

You can also use devil trigger and try to zone him out with lightning or just overwhelm with vortex.

Not gonna lie, Crystal has saved my ass a few times in the past when I've screwed up my bold cancel inputs and did crystal instead. Airplay and air.M, got it, I've been canceling air.s into Hammer that's useful, didn't know I could make Dive kick safe though!

I have not put any time into DT lightning stuff even though I know how amazingly ridiculous it is, I need to!

No, it's definitely not safe on its own, even though it can be made safe with Berserk Rage. As DahBomb said above, the whole point of calling assist + Berserker Slash is to make it safe.

That's no surprise. Dante is a ton harder to play than either of your other two characters. He takes practice, not just to get combos down, but to control properly.

Look up optimal combos on Youtube. Your team is a popular one... at least the Wolvie/Vergil pairing. Just look up videos of PR Rog playing and watch what he does at the beginning of the matches and what combos he performs. Emulate those to the best of your ability. Look at what he does on an incoming character.

For Dante play, look at Yipes and GreenAce, I'd say. Proper Dante play is a mix of zoning and offense. He has to be very careful with his buttons since they get beaten very very easily, and needs to look for openings in his opponents' game.

Ok, I will spend some time watching some vids and watch what they do, maybe that can help me out.

Dahbomb

Why isn't anyone good with Thor? He's a god damn grappler but no one uses him that way/knows
Because he is not a great grappler. I know that is a bit weird sounding but really... his regular air throw game is crap and air throws are a big part of most grapplers in this game. Air throws are also generally superior to air command throws in that they are easier to use and you can option select them plus they don't have a whiff animation.

A great grappler is Felicia, Wesker or even Spencer. Combos off of air throw, solid command throws on the ground and in the case of Spencer he has an anti air command throw. On top of that these characters have good ground mobility to get within grab range, something that Thor struggles with. If Thor didn't have that LVL1 grab hyper or the air command hyper there would be nothing special about him in terms of being a grappling character.

I think if Thor got a full combo off his air throw then he would rise up in usage.

Ghazi

GGs Guardian, your Wolverine was godlike and apparently it is impossible for me to tech throws even though I spent the whole time trying it.

Vice

Thanks for the games earlier, GuardianE. I need to work on my Dante and use more instant over heads. It was a fun set.

Aieyla

Neo Member
Does anyone have a link to the archive of Angelic's recent Firebrand/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath play? FGW is too busy gossiping about EMP to talk about fighting games.

Edit: D'oh, on my wife's account. -_- I always forget to change that.

Dahbomb

Whats wolverine supposed to do vs Firebrand?
Get above him or in front of him in the air, never below him. When above him Dive Kick, when in front in mid air use Drill Claw - Dive Kick. On the ground except for the Slide and Bon Voyage you can contest his normals with yours.

Some of you may have already seen this, but it was new to me. xD

OltYQxM.jpg

Azure J

So I finally came up with official A, B and C teams after a long time playing this game:

A Team: Viper (Burning Kick)/Dante (Jam Session)/Strider (Vajra)
B Team: Zero (Ryuenjin)/Dante (Jam Session)/Strider (Vajra)
C Team: Dante (Jam Session)/Sentinel (Sentinel Force)/Strider (Vajra)

The A team is just the one I want to master and have the absolute greatest amount of fun learning and playing matchups with. I'd really like to see more of this team show up since I feel like it's the sleeping beast that can tame a lot of shenanigans in the game if of course, you can force opponents into respecting the team's game plan.

The B team is for those moments where I'd give in to human error and decide that I just wanna press some fuckin' buttons too (even if Frantic can vouch for how lame and safe I'll be with Zero). After learning loops officially, I'm also kinda itching to get a chance to use them more. I'm horrible I know. :(

On the plus side, playing Zero has made me learn a lot about what his weaknesses are. He's still absurd though.

The C team was in flux for a long time. I knew I wanted a point Dante team because that was always what I loved playing most and actually played for a long time, but I also wanted something optimal and something with dat damage without gimmicks. I guess I could have also gone Dante/Vergil/Strider, but I never really liked Vergil enough for it, dude is too stiff. Dante/Doom/Strider was almost another pick just because fast durable projectile and Vajra is bliss for Dante players, but I hate hate hate the idea of incorporating TACs into my game plan since they can be broken. If I get a hit, I want it to be consistent and reliable.

Sent is sticking it out though since he helps establish that high damage and should I decide to mess around with it, I'll have a TACfinite to play with but isn't entirely mandatory for the big damage.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69048601]Anyone wanna play tonight? I've finally taken Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix off my quick selects.[/QUOTE]
Why?!

Frantic

I think I may have found the dumbest mixup ever.

Force a character to block Round Harvest, tag Dante back in, get in their face and mash down repeatedly, call Vajra as it's nearly over, hit S a couple frames before they're out of blockstun. Now, here is where the 'dumb' comes into play. Every other down starting with the 3rd down causes Dante to just raw launch. So, basically, 2 downs is teleport, 3 is raw launch, 4 is teleport, 5 is raw launch and so on. Essentially, if I'm mashing it out, I have no fucking clue if I'll teleport or not, which means the other person has no clue if I'll teleport or not. If I time it right, Vajra makes the launch safe, knockdown if I launch, and I can easily combo if I teleport.

It's so stupid it hurts. I want to hit someone with it now.

I found a dumb mixup too. knockdown someone in the corner with Raccoon, then immediately do the claymore followed by an angel gift. if they neutral or back tech you get a high/low mixup, and if they roll forward follow up the angel gift with another claymore then a teleport. The claymore pushes them back into the angel gift. The angel gift rock becomes a left/right mixup that causes ground bounce!

^_^

Wesker/Rocket raccoon has been my favorite duo lately......too bad I don't know how to play the raccoon for shit....but I love log trap assist so much. I really need to learn some stuff with raccoon cause I've been winning with random xf3 shit and I can't imagine how well I would do if I actually knew what I was doing. And that trap super is so so so good. Vergil just stands there and stares at me, haha.

Rocket Raccoon is so close to being an awesome character.

Just a couple small changes could shoot him up a rung or two on the ladder:

• Replace jH with a laser normal like his 2H
  • Increase the active frames on his traps from 180 to 300 frames
  • Increase Spitfire durability from 3 to 4
  • Let Oil Bomb or Angel Gift be usable in the air

FSLink

Banned
What happens once Dante dies? Sentinel doesn't really get much from Strider does he? Xf 2 strider with orbs and drones could be fun though....but I also have a serious boner for xf2 strider

Plus I'd imagine HSF to DHC to get Strider in safe is nice, he'd get some pretty good mixups off of drones.

And just for fun...
My teams registered:
A: Zero (Hadangeki)/Dante (Jam Session)/Vergil (Rapid Slash)
B: Dante (Crystal)/Vergil (Rapid Slash)/Strider (Vajra)
C: Nova (Centurion Rush M)/Dr. Strange (Bolts of Balthakk)/Spencer (Wire Grapple (Slant Shot))

Main team is currently A. I prefer Hadangeki for the mixups you can get off of it with Dante and Vergil when Zero has his power up super enabled.

I've been messing around with Wright/Magneto/Dante and might throw that in there once my Magneto is better.

DrTeflon

Hey guys, I bought UMVC 3 a few months ago, first MVC game. So far I had no luck on learning how to play it, combos, teams, stuff like that.

I'm not the best when it comes to fighting games, didnt grew up playing them (was mostly a pc gamer back at the 90s) so I dont have a lot of experience.

Can someone point me at the right direction on where to learn how to at least win one battle online? (I have like 0 wins... a ton of losses lol).

Also dont own a fightstick at the moment. Yeah, I know I should own one but they are extremely expensive in my country.

Hey guys, I bought UMVC 3 a few months ago, first MVC game. So far I had no luck on learning how to play it, combos, teams, stuff like that.

I'm not the best when it comes to fighting games, didnt grew up playing them (was mostly a pc gamer back at the 90s) so I dont have a lot of experience.

Can someone point me at the right direction on where to learn how to at least win one battle online? (I have like 0 wins... a ton of losses lol).

Also dont own a fightstick at the moment. Yeah, I know I should own one but they are extremely expensive in my country.

learn some combos. youtube can help you a lot in that regard. you want to be able to do some damage if you can get a hit on someone. if you have your combos down, you'll get wins eventually.

go into training mode a lot. it makes a huge difference

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Let me be the harbinger of false hope and infect people with empty delusions. Forgive me.

1044232_10151778265026803_1102281410_n.jpg

Teased on Sony Facebook.

Top Bottom