• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

JeTmAn81

learn some combos. youtube can help you a lot in that regard. you want to be able to do some damage if you can get a hit on someone. if you have your combos down, you'll get wins eventually.

go into training mode a lot. it makes a huge difference

I think you should also try to find somebody else who is just starting the game to practice against. It's no good to just get destroyed by some veteran over and over, and most people who are still playing this game are pretty good at it. Check the Marvel forums on www.shoryuken.com to see if you can find anyone who'd like to be your training partner.

I think you should also try to find somebody else who is just starting the game to practice against. It's no good to just get destroyed by some veteran over and over, and most people who are still playing this game are pretty good at it. Check the Marvel forums on www.shoryuken.com to see if you can find anyone who'd like to be your training partner.

getting spanked, for me, just shows you how much room you have for improvement. on the vita, you have replays you can go back to to see where you made mistakes, how to avoid situations, or even how to block particular mixups.

playing someone on your "level" i think just makes it easier not to get burned out.

Hey guys, I bought UMVC 3 a few months ago, first MVC game. So far I had no luck on learning how to play it, combos, teams, stuff like that.

I'm not the best when it comes to fighting games, didnt grew up playing them (was mostly a pc gamer back at the 90s) so I dont have a lot of experience.

Can someone point me at the right direction on where to learn how to at least win one battle online? (I have like 0 wins... a ton of losses lol).

Also dont own a fightstick at the moment. Yeah, I know I should own one but they are extremely expensive in my country.
Play Gods_Beard. He'll give you good feedback.

Don't learn any combos except for ABC stuff into hyper until you get a feel for the game. Combos are a waste without fundamentals.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey guys, I bought UMVC 3 a few months ago, first MVC game. So far I had no luck on learning how to play it, combos, teams, stuff like that.

I'm not the best when it comes to fighting games, didnt grew up playing them (was mostly a pc gamer back at the 90s) so I dont have a lot of experience.

Can someone point me at the right direction on where to learn how to at least win one battle online? (I have like 0 wins... a ton of losses lol).

Also dont own a fightstick at the moment. Yeah, I know I should own one but they are extremely expensive in my country.
What your asking for is pretty.. broad. Anything specific that is troubling you?

If your having trouble or are unsure about mechanics, check some of the links in the OP of this thread for clarification. A lot of the stuff in this game goes unexplained by the game itself, like DHCs, snapbacks, TACs, etc.

DrTeflon

What your asking for is pretty.. broad. Anything specific that is troubling you?

If your having trouble or are unsure about mechanics, check some of the links in the OP of this thread for clarification. A lot of the stuff in this game goes unexplained by the game itself, like DHCs, snapbacks, TACs, etc.

Yeah, thanks, some of it was explained on the MvC 3 OT, now It comes down to team composition + learning combos I guess

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah, thanks, some of it was explained on the MvC 3 OT, now It comes down to team composition + learning combos I guess
If you're a complete noob, the Bradygames UMvC3 strategy guide is still a really good starting point. It won't bring you up to date on what the current best tactics and team compositions in the game are, but it's written by people who know how to play and will teach you a lot. I'd recommend that anyone brand new to the game pick it up and read through the first 50 or so pages plus any character-specific sections for characters that they want to learn.

Had a nail-biter of a match online yesterday. Won the match by time-out with milliseconds to spare! Red Hot Kick > Six Machine, and I heard Wright's death scream followed immediately by "TIME OVER."

It also made me curious to try a new team: Joe/Wright/_____. Joe comes in, uses Slow, then Wright comes in and gathers evidence.

I might tinker with it, and already I think it's a bad idea, but it sounds like fun so whatever.

I wrote this just for people like you:
http://iplaywinner.com/umvc3-team-building-guide/

I'm glad that there are new players that can still make use of it this late into the game. It is ever so slightly out of date, since it doesn't take TAC infinites into account, but all of the general advice still holds, I believe.

If you're a complete noob, the Bradygames UMvC3 strategy guide is still a really good starting point. It won't bring you up to date on what the current best tactics and team compositions in the game are, but it's written by people who know how to play and will teach you a lot. I'd recommend that anyone brand new to the game pick it up and read through the first 50 or so pages plus any character-specific sections for characters that they want to learn.

I've referred to it once or twice myself.

2Ksv5Hz.png

Ghazi

I'm glad that there are new players that can still make use of it this late into the game. It is ever so slightly out of date, since it doesn't take TAC infinites into account, but all of the general advice still holds, I believe.

You wrote this? I was reading and using this for reference before I got the game last year, thanks for that lol.

Actually, I also bought this when I picked up the game but I never got to reading it since I was expecting my friends to teach me everything about the game. hmmm maybe I should hop on that sometime, though I already know a little bit about the game after a year of playing so it'll be weird reading it.

No idea what team to use at Evo....I'm so fucked, haha. And I'm in SF4 and I haven't played that since the beginning of the year. I have to pat myself on the back for this expert preparation.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69299506]Whoo, I'm officially a numbered rank thanks to point Hawkeye.[/QUOTE]
You always seem to be up late, we should probably play sometime. Where are you at?

DrTeflon

Is there a way to buy an online version? I never saw Bradygames guides for sale in my country.

You wrote it? Thanks! I was reading that yesterday and it helped me to understand a lot of stuff.

Leetirl

Neo Member
Anyone play on XBL? I'm usually on in the evenings and generally pretty free to online but I still think it's fun.

pFo Prevai1 is my tag if anyone is interested.

Also as a side note, I think I want to pick up viper but I don't want to play Doom or Vergil. Anyone happen to have any recommendations on assists that work well with her?

Anyone play on XBL? I'm usually on in the evenings and generally pretty free to online but I still think it's fun.

pFo Prevai1 is my tag if anyone is interested.

Also as a side note, I think I want to pick up viper but I don't want to play Doom or Vergil. Anyone happen to have any recommendations on assists that work well with her?
Dante and Strider.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69367636]Central California.[/QUOTE]
SoCal, so yeah I think we'd have a decent connection

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69393796]Hawkeye seems so satisfied.

sam_0683j3ssj.jpg
[/QUOTE]

i got a similar message from using my doom. the player ran the first 2/3s of the match. i get the lead and sit on it with doom projectiles.

love marvel rage mail.

i picked up a hit yesterday and tac'd to doom side down into molecular -> flame sphere -> rage quit -> hate mail in 8 seconds last night.

broke a previous record there

onionfrog

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69393796]Hawkeye seems so satisfied.

sam_0683j3ssj.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Yet another reason why I don't fight random people online.
Most people online spout insults, People on GAF tell you good games and provide constructive feedback.

onionfrog

You're missing out. Rage mail is the best.
Oh, the rage mail can be fun, but not the shitty connections.

I need to get on this week and play some Marvel. I've been busy with Fire Emblem Awakening!

not even close. anyone that takes the game semi-seriously won't bother sending you hate mail. they might taunt after the match ends (ranked) but I get just as many positive messages now as negative ones.

the negatives ones are just way funnier.
True, the way I phrased that may have been hyperbole. It's not really most people that act like that online.

Yet another reason why I don't fight random people online.
Most people online spout insults, People on GAF tell you good games and provide constructive feedback.

not even close. anyone that takes the game semi-seriously won't bother sending you hate mail. they might taunt after the match ends (ranked) but I get just as many positive messages now as negative ones.

the negatives ones are just way funnier.

I've been getting positive mail and/or mail that recognizes that I use Kusoru's team, which isn't nearly as fun as rage mail. This isn't why I play online, people. :(

I've been getting positive mail and/or mail that recognizes that I use Kusoru's team, which isn't nearly as fun as rage mail. This isn't why I play online, people. :(
Playing uncommon stuff usually gets you compliments. I've even gotten a "nice setups!" message after I perfected someone 3 times in a row with 300% Firebrand setups. That guy got friended, haha.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I never get messages when fighting randoms anymore, good or bad.

However, I have noticed a dramatic increase in the number of taunts and teabagging after scoring a round. I swear it was never this bad half a year ago. It's gotten worse as time went on. They managed to squeeze out one win after losing ten? Teabag. They were playing really well and dominating? Teabag. It's literally 2 out of every 3 people.

Frantic

It's been a long time since I got rage mail. I get too many 'your dante is awesome' instead of 'omg u sux lrn2play pls'. It makes me sad(not really).

I did have someone comment about how Vajra bodies his team, but he was pretty civil about it. It's like I'm not on XBL anymore. It should have been like 'u cant win witout vajra scrub pick a real assist' and he plays Doom/Vergil or something.

However, I have noticed a dramatic increase in the number of taunts and teabagging after scoring a round. I swear it was never this bad half a year ago. It's gotten worse as time went on. They managed to squeeze out one win after losing ten? Teabag. They were playing really well and dominating? Teabag. It's literally 2 out of every 3 people.
Haven't actually gotten teabagged for a minute. If they do teabag, and actually hit rematch(a rarity) they usually suffer the wrath of my teabag combos/resets.

Best feeling.

Vice

I never get messages when fighting randoms anymore, good or bad.

That happened to me yesterday in a player match. Some fool literally teabagged and taunted every time he killed one of my characters. Even though it almost always resulted in him losing a round.

You always seem to be up late, we should probably play sometime. Where are you at?
I'm a late night Cencal player as well.

LakeEarth

My favorite hatemail was someone pissed off that I was using hidden missiles. So I challenged him, said I wouldn't use missiles, and used Vajra instead. He was not satisfied.

Playing uncommon stuff usually gets you compliments. I've even gotten a "nice setups!" message after I perfected someone 3 times in a row with 300% Firebrand setups. That guy got friended, haha.

I hit the guy 3 times with my full fullscreen combo. I'm the only person in the world that does that combo as far as I know, and I still got hate :p

And that guy used 3 teleport characters against a point hawkeye team with no missiles or vajra and lost so I don't think he cares about the game that much.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Haven't actually gotten teabagged for a minute. If they do teabag, and actually hit rematch(a rarity) they usually suffer the wrath of my teabag combos/resets.

Best feeling.

I have to admit that I've done that before, but I only when I really lose my cool and I'm in a pissy mood. That stuff just irritates me. I always respect my opponent. That's just something I've always felt was important.

That happened to me yesterday in a player match. Some fool literally teabagged and taunted every time he killed one of my characters. Even though it almost always resulted in him losing a round.

Wow, someone did the same thing to me the other day, too. I wonder if it was the same guy. And again, I lost my cool and did the same to him the following two games before I left.

Azure J

The best thing ever is running into people who construct decisively "online" teams just to hit you with the teabag/taunt/message combination and then wrecking them because you know how it goes already. While The Zero Trilogy might be the more mainstream movie, I think I'm decidedly more fond of Viper Music Videos in this case, especially when people run characters with no double jumps. So_good.gif

I timed a guy out last night who just stood fullscreen throwing hadokens with Ryu so I just jumped.

I think gaffers are better than most of the people on Ranked.

Vice

Wow, someone did the same thing to me the other day, too. I wonder if it was the same guy. And again, I lost my cool and did the same to him the following two games before I left.

Maybe, he played Vergil, Nova and Wesker. No going to lie that Vergil HSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSSSHSHSHSHSHSHS shit is infuriating online.

you can usually find a team pattern with people that like taunting/teabagging at least at the lower end (i dont play much ranked). usually something like ryu/akuma/wolverine in that order.

Top Bottom