• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I have a few teams in mind that I'll probably get opinions on after Evo. No use in trying to adjust to something new now, just oging to stick with what I know.

But definitely want to see if these other team ideas would be better in the long run.

I'll never give up Cap though.

I don't know what's going on. I was playing fine this morning, all of the sudden I can't connect to anyone or it drops immediately. Tried three different people.

Also locking up at the menu screen for marvel.

Ghazi

So I've been playing Wolverine/Dante/Vergil for a while now but I really think (and have gotten advice from others) that replacing Dante with Doom would give me better Synergy™.

I get beam assist, better DHCs (especially from Fatal Claw>Doom DHC), TAC infinites (I'm super rusty on this though), and FOOT DIVE.

The only issue I had when learning him was trying to learn stupidly hard stuff when I had just gotten the game (TAC Infinites) and not being able to consistently triangle dash right.

Does anyone have any advice for Triangle Dashing with Doom?

So I've been playing Wolverine/Dante/Vergil for a while now but I really think (and have gotten advice from others) that replacing Dante with Doom would give me better Synergy™.

I get beam assist, better DHCs (especially from Fatal Claw), TAC infinites (I'm super rusty on this though), and FOOT DIVE.

The only issue I had when learning him was trying to learn stupidly hard stuff when I had just gotten the game (TAC Infinites) and not being able to consistently triangle dash right.

Does anyone have any advice for Triangle Dashing with Doom?
In my experience, Doom can tridash as fast as your hand can do the inputs. So don't worry about timing a minimum height air dash like with Dormammu or Morrigan.

Oh god I'm getting nervous about EVO already.

I just know my execution with Strider is going to be the death of me. I'll be going with the usual Nova/Strider/RR (spitfire), and even though I like the team when I get it going I'm not sure objectively how it'll compare to other teams.

Overall I feel like I'm pre-emptively choking and its probably not a good sign.

Oh god I'm getting nervous about EVO already.

I just know my execution with Strider is going to be the death of me. I'll be going with the usual Nova/Strider/RR (spitfire), and even though I like the team when I get it going I'm not sure objectively how it'll compare to other teams.

Overall I feel like I'm pre-emptively choking and its probably not a good sign.
What I did at UFGT9 was I set a goal for myself. A low, realizable goal. It made me feel better about my time there to do that. For me, it was to just not go 0-2. So going 4-2 made me feel great.

What I did at UFGT9 was I set a goal for myself. A low, realizable goal. It made me feel better about my time there to do that. For me, it was to just not go 0-2. So going 4-2 made me feel great.

That's already my goal really.

Going 0-2 a lot in the weeklies does not inspire me with confidence tbh though.

It's not ALL nervousness though. It's some kind of mix of nerves-excitement-anxiety.

kick51

Banned
Post your button layouts

Me:
M H S A1
L L M+H A2

I'm trying this out right now. I like L to M+H plink dashing, though I can't get consistent at it. Earlier today I was hitting it constantly, towards the end of the night I couldn't pull it off at all. argh.

That's already my goal really.

Going 0-2 a lot in the weeklies does not inspire me with confidence tbh though.

It's not ALL nervousness though. It's some kind of mix of nerves-excitement-anxiety.

I set lower expectstions when i played at SCR. I Just didnt want to go 0-2 but ended up 2-2 in SF. I was okay with losing to viscant and chris g.
The player pool is so large at evo that theres a good chance you match up against someone favorably. Just be confident and dont drop your combos, even if it means dumbing them down

Post your button layouts

Me:
M H S A1
L L M+H A2

I'm trying this out right now. I like L to M+H plink dashing, though I can't get consistent at it. Earlier today I was hitting it constantly, towards the end of the night I couldn't pull it off at all. argh.
Yikes, that's terrifying.

L M H
S A1 A2

Sigmaah

Lol someone thought I was marn cause I'm playing Zero/Vergil/Strider.

I'm thinking of playing Zero/Dorm/Vergil, is that order good or should I change it up?

I set lower expectstions when i played at SCR. I Just didnt want to go 0-2 but ended up 2-2 in SF. I was okay with losing to viscant and chris g.
The player pool is so large at evo that theres a good chance you match up against someone favorably. Just be confident and dont drop your combos, even if it means dumbing them down

My expectations are low really, it's mostly the "international" part in international tournament that's making me feel like this.

What do you guys think of my team anyways (Nova/Strider/RR(spitfire))? My alt. team is still Nova/Frank/RR(log), which I guess doesn't really do much for the matchup problems the other team may have except changing a much higher execution character for a more potentially "derp" one. Also, any last minute Strider (incoming) mixups you guys could share?

FSLink

Banned
Good games Smedwicks. Sorry my Morrigan's so free, lol Also I never got a chance to do some Round Trip glitch stuff since I kept getting Charging Star'd. :p

Onemic

I think I have accepted that I am totally asstastic at Marvel 3 and anything resembling its style of play.(ie Skullgirls) Would playing Marvel 2 help improve my fundamentals for the game?

I think I have accepted that I am totally asstastic at Marvel 3 and anything resembling its style of play.(ie Skullgirls) Would playing Marvel 2 help improve my fundamentals for the game?
Not to sound like a jerk, but why would Marvel 2 help you get better at Marvel 3 more than Marvel 3?

Good games Smedwicks. Sorry my Morrigan's so free, lol Also I never got a chance to do some Round Trip glitch stuff since I kept getting Charging Star'd. :p

Yeah, good games! Thanks for all the pre-Evo training! I feel like I'm slowly getting better, even though I'm sure my W/L ratio against you doesn't show it :p

My Cap/Task/Wesker team is one I'm thinking about trying after Evo, but my main team is what'll (hopefully) carry me to victory.

Less bullshit. Honestly.

3S helped me improve my fundamentals in SF4.

I can't learn anything in marvel 3 when I just get ToD'd by everyone I face.
I can respect that, then.

I think the better solution is to play people on GAF in Marvel 3, though. I am sure you can find people around your skill level in the game here. If that fails, GameFAQs has a dedicated thread for people who suck and want to learn to get better. If you're on PSN, I'm also glad to run a passive team to give you a chance to get hits in.

Less bullshit. Honestly.

3S helped me improve my fundamentals in SF4.

I can't learn anything in marvel 3 when I just get ToD'd by everyone I face.

I really don't think Marvel 2 is gonna be any different about that tbh. If anything, it's easier to find people with less bullshit and no ToD's in 3 than 2 at this point of time.

Onemic

I really don't think Marvel 2 is gonna be any different about that tbh. If anything, it's easier to find people with less bullshit and no ToD's in 3 than 2 at this point of time.

I know other medium level players in marvel 2 that I can play with constantly. I don't have the same for Marvel 3.

I can respect that, then.

I think the better solution is to play people on GAF in Marvel 3, though. I am sure you can find people around your skill level in the game here. If that fails, GameFAQs has a dedicated thread for people who suck and want to learn to get better. If you're on PSN, I'm also glad to run a passive team to give you a chance to get hits in.

Who are the other beginners on GAF? (PSN)

Who are the other beginners on GAF? (PSN)
Hahaha, don't make me call out who sucks in this thread, sir. That would not be nice. I will let people self-identify. Also, post in the FGW thread.

Edit: Though I will throw out SlasherMcGirk, not because he's not good, but because his team is a slow cook, so you are bound to get to play.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, good games! Thanks for all the pre-Evo training! I feel like I'm slowly getting better, even though I'm sure my W/L ratio against you doesn't show it :p

My Cap/Task/Wesker team is one I'm thinking about trying after Evo, but my main team is what'll (hopefully) carry me to victory.

No problem, I try to use that I can use many different characters to help people with matchup experience. Though my Morrigan's still garbage, lol. I want to actually try to pick her up seriously after EVO, maybe not to main her, but to at least understand how she works better.

No problem, I try to use that I can use many different characters to help people with matchup experience. Though my Morrigan's still garbage, lol. I want to actually try to pick her up seriously after EVO, maybe not to main her, but to at least understand how she works better.
GGs. Sorry for the abrupt end. I made the mistake of engaging some hatemail sender before playing you, so i was already in a bad mood. Then i figured you began to pick your Z teams because you were bored or disinterested so i decided it'd be better not to waste both our time. Im going to take a break from this game.

Post your button layouts

Me:
M H S A1
L L M+H A2

I use a DS3, soooooo

Face buttons = default

L1 = M+H
L2 = X-Factor

R1 = Assist 1
R2 = Assist 2

Solune

GGs TWILT. I would've kept going but have to work =(, your Dante is mean and my defense is ass. Actually, I'm just bad at this game in general.

TWILT

Banned
GGs TWILT. I would've kept going but have to work =(, your Dante is mean and my defense is ass. Actually, I'm just bad at this game in general.

Good games! My Dante is the only character I have going for me, so. =P Really fun matches with a pretty good connection; lets play again sometime.

Sigmaah

Wat. Strider is one of the 3 best anchors in this game.

Nah, I don't think he's top 3 anchor status and it also depends on the situation I'm in for me to make a strider comeback. If I have 5 bars and there's only 2 characters left, I should be good but if there's 3 characters and I only have 1 bar, he's ass. His damage in XF3 needs to be buffed and his XF3 time needs to last longer and Ouro needs to last longer or do some chip. How does spiral swords chip but ouro doesn't... Also, maybe since I'm always playing in lag, I can't play strider to his full potential. Oh well, BUFF STRIDER.

Zissou

Xf3 Strider is fully capable of mauling a whole team by himself. He can ToD everybody with optimized combos, he has strong solo mix-ups, and it's almost impossible to run away from him. Ouro in xf3 practically guarantees you a kill, but it's situational- I honestly don''t use it all that much these days. It'd be nice if orbs were better, but even w/o them, Strider is still ridiculous. He also has the best assist by far out of the holy trinity of anchors.

Nah, I don't think he's top 3 anchor status and it also depends on the situation I'm in for me to make a strider comeback. If I have 5 bars and there's only 2 characters left, I should be good but if there's 3 characters and I only have 1 bar, he's ass. His damage in XF3 needs to be buffed and his XF3 time needs to last longer and Ouro needs to last longer or do some chip. How does spiral swords chip but ouro doesn't... Also, maybe since I'm always playing in lag, I can't play strider to his full potential. Oh well, BUFF STRIDER.
If you have 3 characters to kill and your anchor comes in with 1 bar of meter, that's your own fault. Strider is one of the most perfect characters in the game. I think you are just spoiled by Zero.

Top Bottom