• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Onemic

Is it possible to pair up strider and mag on the same team?(Dante/mag/strider) I sorta wanna try learning mag again. If not would a Wolvie/mag/Dante team work instead?

Sigmaah

If you have 3 characters to kill and your anchor comes in with 1 bar of meter, that's your own fault. Strider is one of the most perfect characters in the game. I think you are just spoiled by Zero.

Yeah, that was a bad example lol but regular strider is far from perfect, maybe he shouldn't get XF3 buffs but regular strider deff needs buffs. Make Legion better, make regular ouro better or make it do chip damage, Ragnarok should do more damage and buff his damage overall by a little, not too much. I ain't asking for him to be Zero/Vergil tier lol.

Vice

Is it possible to pair up strider and mag on the same team?(Dante/mag/strider) I sorta wanna try learning mag again. If not would a Wolvie/mag/Dante team work instead?

Mag doesn't get myxh off a stray vajra hit but it can work. A local player uses Mag/Doom/Strider and it's pretty effective.

Xf3 Strider is fully capable of mauling a whole team by himself. He can ToD everybody with optimized combos, he has strong solo mix-ups, and it's almost impossible to run away from him. Ouro in xf3 practically guarantees you a kill, but it's situational- I honestly don''t use it all that much these days. It'd be nice if orbs were better, but even w/o them, Strider is still ridiculous. He also has the best assist by far out of the holy trinity of anchors.
You have a vid of these combos or just a description cause I need to work on my xf3 strider combos

Vice

You have a vid of these combos or just a description cause I need to work on my xf3 strider combos

More general combos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty3YH_yqTt8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK31ItS8UII

I usually just go for excalibur loops. For those you can get a hard knock down activate orbs then slide jump then press j.H canceled into l excalibur. Repeats the j.H to excalibur until your opponent dies. I know you can also get these as long as your opponent is at jump height so it's possible off of a gram, his command dash special or even L excalibur.

Edit: posted the wrong orbs video.

onionfrog

I know other medium level players in marvel 2 that I can play with constantly. I don't have the same for Marvel 3.

Who are the other beginners on GAF? (PSN)
I'm not that good and I haven't played in a few weeks.
Add me on PSN and we'll play some time.
PSN Id: onionfrog

Zissou

@Mango Sentinel: Here's a fairly practical xf3 Strider bnb: http://youtu.be/GN5uIB7hLws

Notations are:
cr.L, cr.M, cr.H, S, j.M, j.H, qcf.L, land and jump, j.M, j.H, qcf.L, (land) st.M, S, j.M, j.H, qcf.L, land and jump, j.H, j.S (land), qcb.S, qcb.S, dash forward, S, j.M, j.M, j.H, j.S, (land), qcb.H, down-fwd H, S, double jump+j.S, (land), qcb.H, down-fwd H, S, double jump+j.S, (land), legion.

It takes up a ton of x-factor time (by the time I kill Thor), but unless you haven't hit your opponent at all and they're playing an unusually high health team, you'll actually kill pretty quickly. Just eye-balling it from my video, I broke 900k meterlessly using around a quarter of my x-factor time, which isn't too bad, especially since Strider gets this kind of damage from any of his practical xf3 confirms. I'm not sure how my combo compares with Foward's/Dick Win's as far as practicality and time efficiency are concerned, but it gets the job done.

Zissou

What does more damage faster, Gram loops, or bird bomb loops?

Embarrassed to say it, but I'm not 100% sure. Bird bomb loops continue to work in high HSD situations, but I haven't seen anybody use them before they have to to keep the combo going, so I just kind of assumed they're not efficient until late in the combo. Gram loops can only be done earlier in a combo, but they do fast damage, so I think it's dependent on how much hit stun deterioration you're dealing with. Early in the combo: do gram loops if possible, late in the combo: switch to bird bomb loops (at least it seems that way).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
and I need macros for plink dashing, can't hit it naturally at all.

if anyone has any advice on that, i'm open.
Probably best to alternate between H and a macro that includes H since I think that gives you more chances to throw / throw tech.

Onemic

I'll add all you guys.

Is there a proper tutorial on how to play Magneto properly? Magneto is the only character in the game where my problems don't lie on his combos, but on everything else. Also is there a tut on tri-jumping with him?

I'll add all you guys.

Is there a proper tutorial on how to play Magneto properly? Magneto is the only character in the game where my problems don't lie on his combos, but on everything else. Also is there a tut on tri-jumping with him?

i always see people using air projectiles, then locking down the character with an assist and proceed to go high/low like a fiend until you hit confirm

And that's less intuitive for my hand :p

and I need macros for plink dashing, can't hit it naturally at all.

if anyone has any advice on that, i'm open.
I need to learn to plink dash consistently myself, so I can't help you!

I'll add all you guys.

I'm not sure if there are good Magneto tutorials out there, but my advice with trijumping is to just do it as fast as possible. He has a pretty low minimum air dash height.

Yeah, that was a bad example lol but regular strider is far from perfect, maybe he shouldn't get XF3 buffs but regular strider deff needs buffs. Make Legion better, make regular ouro better or make it do chip damage, Ragnarok should do more damage and buff his damage overall by a little, not too much. I ain't asking for him to be Zero/Vergil tier lol.
Strider is one of a handful of characters who is a top tier anchor and has a top tier assist. No one gets to complain about him about anything except for Legion being random.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69598501]Karst wanna play?[/QUOTE]
No internet yet! :p They're coming by today. My neighbor has been nice enough to let me bum off his wireless for the last week. It lets me access the forums and other stuff, but a Youtube video takes a good 10 minutes to load. No way would it work for gaming online.

JeTmAn81

I'm not sure if there are good Magneto tutorials out there, but my advice with trijumping is to just do it as fast as possible. He has a pretty low minimum air dash height.

There are some specifics to Magneto's tridash attacks. IMO, it seems better to superjump before tridashing into a j.H or j.S for long-ranged pokes, and you definitely want to stick to normal jumps when tridashing into a j.L for closer light-speed mixups.

Strider is one of a handful of characters who is a top tier anchor and has a top tier assist. No one gets to complain about him about anything except for Legion being random.

I've recently decided it's unfair that Strider doesn't get a combo after Ragnarok. The damage is ass for a one-time punish.

There are some specifics to Magneto's tridash attacks. IMO, it seems better to superjump before tridashing into a j.H or j.S for long-ranged pokes, and you definitely want to stick to normal jumps when tridashing into a j.L for closer light-speed mixups.
Very true.

I've recently decided it's unfair that Strider doesn't get a combo after Ragnarok. The damage is ass for a one-time punish.
Does that mean Dormammu should get to combo after Dark Dimension, too? ;-)

Most level 3s don't allow post-attack combos, but that's why most level 3s aren't good except as a game ender, unfortunately.

EasyMode

i always see people using air projectiles, then locking down the character with an assist and proceed to go high/low like a fiend until you hit confirm

Yeah, this is pretty much what I do. Call drones, air dash forward mag blast, high/low/crossup time. What a crappy flowchart Magnus - I'm just asking for a hyper to the face :lol

i've always thought about using magneto as anchor, he seems pretty scary with xf3 speed boost. i know a few socal players like wentinel and ytwojay use him in the anchor spot, and i feel like dropping doom now.

Super jump is faster for both and it's harder to link the 2L after the tridash with a normal jump because it causes less hitstun.

JeTmAn81

Does that mean Dormammu should get to combo after Dark Dimension, too? ;-)

Well, he gets Purification into Chaotic Flame mid-screen, or a full combo off a Flame Carpet XF cancel in the corner. Dante gets a pickup after his level 3, so does Vergil after Dark Angel (lol). Haggar gets a full combo, Magneto can follow up after Gravity Squeeze, Zero can even follow up if he X-Factors after Genmu Zero! Wesker can XF out of his at the very end to gunshot into a combo. Waiiiiit a minute just how many Level 3's cannot be followed up...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69611711]Super jump is faster for both and it's harder to link the 2L after the tridash with a normal jump because it causes less hitstun.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's true. Whenever I've tested normal jumping is way better for tridash j.L's. You're adding an extra motion for the down before the up to super jump.

LakeEarth

Well, he gets Purification into Chaotic Flame mid-screen, or a full combo off a Flame Carpet XF cancel in the corner. Dante gets a pickup after his level 3, so does Vergil after Dark Angel (lol). Haggar gets a full combo, Magneto can follow up after Gravity Squeeze, Zero can even follow up if he X-Factors after Genmu Zero! Wesker can XF out of his at the very end to gunshot into a combo. Waiiiiit a minute just how many Level 3's cannot be followed up...
Nemesis can, She-Hulk can, Iron Man can, Felicia can, Morrigan can.. I think Arthur can. With XF cancels, most of them can be followed up. But granted, a lot of these are just level 3 -> (OTG) -> level 1.

Azure J

Late but:

You still on? I'll play you some games.

Sorry I missed this, you up to play tonight? I'll be running every team I'm considering playing which means expect a lot of flailing with the one new character between Zero, Vergil and Sentinel (maybe Chris), along with Dante/Strider as always.

I believe in Spy May Stride, but I definitely need some counterpick/alt pick teams to get breathers when people swing stage wide buttons/specials at me. I've developed the fear of God whenever I have to play that team against Dormammus that use a lot of 1D2Cs, especially if they're backed by Disruptor or Jam Session. :lol

I don't think that's true. Whenever I've tested normal jumping is way better for tridash j.L's. You're adding an extra motion for the down before the up to super jump.

You just need to practice it more, then. Super jump is faster and more reliable. The only reason to think normal jumping is faster is because the timing is easier.

This is coming from a guy that does nothing but trijump with Magneto all day.

Frantic

Sorry I missed this, you up to play tonight? I'll be running every team I'm considering playing which means expect a lot of flailing with the one new character between Zero, Vergil and Sentinel (maybe Chris), along with Dante/Strider as always.
If I've got time, sure.

FSLink

Banned
Yo Azure, I'll be on XBL later tonight too if you want some games.

GGs. Sorry for the abrupt end. I made the mistake of engaging some hatemail sender before playing you, so i was already in a bad mood. Then i figured you began to pick your Z teams because you were bored or disinterested so i decided it'd be better not to waste both our time. Im going to take a break from this game.

No worries. And nah, wasn't bored or disinterested, I just have many different teams.

Gumbie

Anyone playing this on PS3 who is a terrible player? I'm picking this up soon and I may be the worst person to ever play a fighting game. At least if I'm playing another scrub we can mash buttons togther and laugh at how bad we are.

Anyone playing this on PS3 who is a terrible player? I'm picking this up soon and I may be the worst person to ever play a fighting game. At least if I'm playing another scrub we can mash buttons togther and laugh at how bad we are.

i consider myself terrible, but I'm still at like 66% win ratio

Well, you have to differentiate between:
1) Level 3s with no follow up, ever.
2) Level 3s with addition hyper damage follow up (Darkness Illusion, Dark Dimension, Astral Magic).
3) Level 3s with X-Factor follow-ups.
4) Level 3s with normal follow-ups.

IMO, that's in order of goodness from worst to best.

Since people are asking about Magneto, here's the sequence of his solo mixups:

dash up low short(s): frame trap, trip guard, pushblock bait
dash up tridash: high/low mixup
dash up low short, throw: low guard bait
dash up low short, tridash: throw tech bait
dash up low short, plink blast: crossup
dash up superjump backwards dash H/S: anti-air bait(Vergil)

throw: plink dash, double tridash - high/low
throw: plink dash, plink blast - cross up
throw: plink dash, superjump forward down-back dash S - fake crossup
throw: instant overhead jL dash cancel - high/low
throw: flight, unfly, 2L - fake high

late combo mixups:
S, jLH - TAC/throw tech bait
hyper grav, jL dash cancel down, dash up air throw(my personal favorite)
hyper grav, jL dash cancel down, dash up L - throw tech bait
jH adb Magnetic Blast, tridash jH - safe pressure string into high/low/throw, catches most moves, assist mash punish

kick51

Banned
Who are the other beginners on GAF? (PSN)

I'm not really a beginner, but I'm not awesome. And right now I've just moved from pad to stick and I'm using an unconventional stick layout at that, so I'm even losing to 9th Lords and basically anyone who isn't just mashing.

Add me and message me when you wanna play (and this goes for anyone who considers themselves on the lower end):

bagsoftea69

yes, i know...it's an alt and it's meant to sound dumb :p

kick51

Banned
Are you available for PSN play right now?

Or anyone else?

Edit: Kick51, I think you are slated to become a full member in a week!

Sure, I can hop on for a bit. I have no mic, just so ya know.

I should be made mod after how much I've posted since I joined lol

kick51

Banned
Hopping on.

Yep, that's day 2 on stick for ya. Couldn't do a simple Vergil combo or DHC. That team was fun as hell to play against, so I just focused on blocking, the opening gambit, and escaping the escapable mix ups. I was gonna switch to pad for a few, but then I realized my buttons would be all messed up.

Once I get used to this thing and back up to speed, I'd like to try again. :)

edit: also, your connection felt fine (i'm in chicago, not sure where you're at.) Pretty sure that one desync wasn't on my end though.

Yep, that's day 2 on stick for ya. Couldn't do a simple Vergil combo or DHC. That team was fun as hell to play against, so I just focused on blocking, the opening gambit, and escaping the escapable mix ups. I was gonna switch to pad for a few, but then I realized my buttons would be all messed up.

Once I get used to this thing and back up to speed, I'd like to try again. :)
GGs. The lag was pretty bad. Where are you playing from? I need to test against GB since I know what his connection is like.

I'm still pretty new to the team. I learned that Firebrand ducks under Plasma Beam mid-match, and was like "woah, too cool!" I usually am in the air with him, but I've been trying a more grounded approach in certain matchups to see how it works.

I think your input problems were mostly netcode related. I dropped a lot of inputs there.

Edit: LOL, you're in Chicago? Why did you wait to play me until right after I moved away from Chicago? I'm in CO.

There's a great group of guys that meets weekly in Chicago at a place called Ignite. They meet on Mondays - great group of guys.

kick51

Banned
ah, so there was lag...I am fixated on just hitting the right buttons on my current arrangement atm so I thought I was just messing it all up. But most it was my fault, I don't miss inputs and basic combos that much. I don't think I'd beat you normally even if I could get set ups+good movement going, but seeing my team flounder like that made me more motivated to get good on stick :)

Oh man, I live a bunch of blocks just east of Ignite. I saw on SRK that people play there...I should do that instead of playing online.

ah, so there was lag...I am fixated on just hitting the right buttons on my current arrangement atm so I thought I was just messing it all up. But most it was my fault, I don't miss inputs and basic combos that much. I don't think I'd beat you normally even if I could get set ups+good movement going, but seeing my team flounder like that made me more motivated to get good on stick :)

Oh man, I live a bunch of blocks just east of Ignite. I saw on SRK that people play there...I should do that instead of playing online.
I highly recommend going. There are usually more 360 setups than PS3 ones, but you will be able to play on either platform. Plus, it's a great chance to try out new games. Everyone there is really friendly, and I learned Street Fighter and Skullgirls thanks to folks there.

It's only $10 a night ($5 if you bring a console). They play on Mondays from 6PM to 3AM. It's a healthy group of folks, usually ~30 show up. There are about 20 stations, so there's little wait time to get matches in.

IMO, the best way to get used to a stick, aside from practicing combos, is to go against the AI in training mode. Infinite health takes all the pressure off, and you just get to wail on the AI while it blocks everything (lol).

kick51

Banned
Hmm, maybe I'll check it out this coming Monday. I have a 360 stick (and use a mayflash converter) so it'll be nice to play direct on that. Speaking of which, know any modders in the area?

That's a good idea for training...I've just been grinding combos since I got the stick yesterday, but the pressure in a match messes up movement and all that basic stuff I took for granted.

Hmm, maybe I'll check it out this coming Monday. I have a 360 stick (and use a mayflash converter) so it'll be nice to play direct on that. Speaking of which, know any modders in the area?

That's a good idea for training...I've just been grinding combos since I got the stick yesterday, but the pressure in a match messes up movement and all that basic stuff I took for granted.
I don't know anything about modding, but a lot of guys there have their sticks modded. I just have 2 sticks, haha.

I understand the difficulty of learning stick. I just started using one two years ago, so the memories are still relatively fresh. It's also good to just do reps of certain movements. 20 DP motions in a row, etc.

Top Bottom