• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I don't know what's up with my PS3. Up until yesterday morning everything was great. Now anytime I go online I can't connect to anyone or I get dropped in seconds. I'm een getting lockups at the main menu.

Is wolvie/mag/strider a viable team?

You could force it to work if you used the Hyper Grav and Gram assists.

Solune

Is wolvie/mag/strider a viable team?
pirateben asked this in a similar team construction so I'll do a copypasta and add on.
I don't recommend Strider with Wolverine at all since he can't capitalize from a stray Vajra, unless you are running Gram or Murakumo assist.

IF you do use Strider I definitely recommend use Gram instead of Murakamo since it saves Wolverine's ground bounce and you can get a dirty crossup Wallbounce into a full combo/extension.

And yah like God's Beard said, Hyper Grav is better than Disruptor for Wolverine. Magneto/Strider also isn't a great combination, again Mags gets nothing from Vajra so Gram is your go to assist in this team. DHC synergy is also weak between both and Strider but Magneto -> Wolvie or vice versa is pretty good.

Onemic

pirateben asked this in a similar team construction so I'll do a copypasta and add on.

IF you do use Strider I definitely recommend use Gram instead of Murakamo since it saves Wolverine's ground bounce and you can get a dirty crossup Wallbounce into a full combo/extension.

And yah like God's Beard said, Hyper Grav is better than Disruptor for Wolverine. Magneto/Strider also isn't a great combination, again Mags gets nothing from Vajra so Gram is your go to assist in this team. DHC synergy is also weak between both and Strider but Magneto -> Wolvie or vice versa is pretty good.

I could do wolvie/mag/akuma instead.

What makes hyper grav better than disruptor? Isn't disruptor useful since it gives wolvie a safer way in?

I could do wolvie/mag/akuma instead.

What makes hyper grav better than disruptor? Isn't disruptor useful since it gives wolvie a safer way in?

Wolverine needs an assist that lets him combo after an OTG or a Berserker Slash. Disruptor does neither. Hyper Grav lets you get some conversions at least. Akuma Tatsu is infinitely better, though.

Onemic

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69732796]Wolverine needs an assist that lets him combo after an OTG or a Berserker Slash. Disruptor does neither. Hyper Grav lets you get some conversions at least. Akuma Tatsu is infinitely better, though.[/QUOTE]

so with Akuma on the team, would it make more sense to use a disruptor assist, or still stick with hyper grav?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69728816]Couldn't connect, I invited you a few times and you never joined so I figured it was the same on your end. No idea what's going on.[/QUOTE]
No, I didn't notice your invites until after you logged off because I usually AFK and do something else after sending an invite. If you want to try again with you sending an invite, I'm good to try.

Onemic

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69735601]Depends on the order. Personally I'd put Akuma 2nd and use disruptor.[/QUOTE]

Mag as anchor instead of Akuma? What makes mag good as an anchor compared to Akuma?

kick51

Banned
lol the connector for the sanwa stick in my SE was half falling off cause the previous owner/modder didn't glue it. That's good though, I have silent sanwa coming in the mail tomorrow I'm putting in it and I'll glue that in permanently.

Mag as anchor instead of Akuma? What makes mag good as an anchor compared to Akuma?
He can kill two characters in x-factor 3 without using meter and still have some leftover and he has more tools than Akuma.

More importantly, Disruptor is way more useful for Akuma than Tatsu is for Magneto.

Azure J

Really sorry about that Frantic, my power went out (our AC and rice cooker THCd the power grid) mid set. I'll play more later or tomorrow if you're down. I felt like I was getting back to old me when I wasn't playing the derp Zero or Vergil teams. What did you think though? Also, where can I improve?

Frantic

GGs Azure. I don't know how/why our connection can go from okay to the pits in the blink of an eye. :/

Either way, I've been playing slightly less sloppy, but the lag was doing me no favors! :p I was trying/doing a lot of different things I don't normally do, and I've been working on trying to throw Strider out of his teleports as well as trying to catch Dante in box dashes/teleports with a throw. I will say your Vajra mixups are pretty tight, since I wasn't able to throw Dante out of them once, haha.

I really wish Scat Shot came out as fast as Cold Shower did. I want a fast fullscreen projectile!

What did you think though? Also, where can I improve?
You seemed to be playing much better this set than the last one, though the lag was messing with you like it was me. You tend to go for backdashes a lot on wakeup/recovery, and I would recommend just blocking. I catch you a lot doing that, and it'd be better to just eyeball when you can start backing up. Other than that, try to mix up when you do EX Thunderknuckle vs zoning. You tend to use it in very typical spots, making it easy enough to bait out.

Also, go HAM'er with Vergil. I get hit by s.H so much it's not even funny.

FSLink

Banned
Damn that dropped Dante combo at the end of the 2nd game I used Zero May Cry. Good comeback with Dorm Karst. Also I kept getting Swiss Cheese after the Ricky X-Factor special with Wolverine. :( Oh well. Good games dude.

FSLink

Banned
GGs, those matches reminded me of why I stopped playing online.

Haha really? I thought the connection was fine until the last few matches. :p Then it started getting pretty bad.

Also thanks for the Firebrand experience, I kept falling into those resets. Good stuff.

Haha really? I thought the connection was fine until the last few matches. :p Then it started getting pretty bad.

Also thanks for the Firebrand experience, I kept falling into those resets. Good stuff.
I agree with you that the connection was really solid until the last ~5 or so matches. I'm not sure what happened there. What makes online frustrating isn't the continual lag, though, but the little blips. There are so many instances where something drops that would never drop offline because for one moment the lag spikes. It's really infuriating to lose because of that. We both had plenty of matches like that, so I'm not trying to blame the internet for my losses or anything. Offline, I rarely feel salty when I lose, because I lost to the player. Online, so much dumb stuff happens because the internet hiccups and the netcode can't handle it. Like there was one match where Firebrand, Shuma-Gorath, Nova, and Dr. Strange were all doing stuff. And my screen just hiccuped and Nova was suddenly crossing me up out of nowhere. Infuriating to lose a character like that.

I just started using the dive kick reset today. I don't know how solid that is in practice. :p

Also, fuck Zero all day long. Vergil doesn't frustrate me anywhere near Zero. I've hated that character since his reveal, and I loathe him more every day. I usually end up quitting a set if my opponent picks Zero just because his endless pressure and boring gameplay style. He makes the game legitimately unfun. Hell, every Zero player I've ever talked to says they need alt teams because he's so boring to use, too. The entire game would be better off without him in it.

Azure J

I will say your Vajra mixups are pretty tight, since I wasn't able to throw Dante out of them once, haha.

Feels_good_man.jpg

You seemed to be playing much better this set than the last one, though the lag was messing with you like it was me. You tend to go for backdashes a lot on wakeup/recovery, and I would recommend just blocking. I catch you a lot doing that, and it'd be better to just eyeball when you can start backing up. Other than that, try to mix up when you do EX Thunderknuckle vs zoning. You tend to use it in very typical spots, making it easy enough to bait out.

My most recent set with Sigmaah really made me start paying attention to my back dashing. Nothing like getting consistently clipped low even when landing into a crouch block to totally ruin your mood. The set also made me reconsider learning Zero because if I can get that unhealthily angry at that little bitch, why would I ever want to invoke that upon anyone else? :lol

Dunno how I feel about Vergil. I don't think he's my style even if I know the combos and have a good idea on neutral/getting hits.

Tangent: I know you loved the Burn Kick Feint into grab reset I busted out in one of the matches to get you out of the corner from the first grab combo. Also, Seismo FADCs are beautiful, until you get randomness like random j.Ss when you wanted jump canceled Focus Attack stance.

Solune

I'm almost 99% sure Azure is trying to pushblock but doing it too early :lol.

Edit: oh I was wrong... get blown up all day

Azure J

I'm almost 99% sure Azure is trying to pushblock but doing it too early :lol.

Edit: oh I was wrong... get blown up all day

I'd say it's more like 60% of the time I'm back dashing, 30% of the time, it's a delayed push block attempt and 10% it's me not adapting to Speed of Light™ gameplay.

FSLink

Banned
I agree with you that the connection was really solid until the last ~5 or so matches. I'm not sure what happened there. What makes online frustrating isn't the continual lag, though, but the little blips. There are so many instances where something drops that would never drop offline because for one moment the lag spikes.

Yeah, I agree, I kept getting owned with my Nova/Strange/Spencer team everytime I went for a FoF loop for the first few matches because the lag would make me drop it. I started going for simpler variations, but even sometimes the super wouldn't come out or something weird, lol.

I actually kind of find Zero fun, but I think if an imaginary patch were to ever come out, they really need to fix his meter gain. It's kind of ridiculous any type of hit confirm leads to lightning loops which gain enough meter for another lightning loop 99% of the time. I'm okay with loops since they do take some effort to do under pressure, but I feel like he'd be much more interesting if he could loop and then have to resort to a reset instead of insta-death as soon as you touch a character with him. He's really a joy to play when you're doing resets when you don't have meter, or having to play smart with buster against Strider assist or another Zero...but I'm not a fan of his one touch death stuff at all.

EDIT: Also nerf pizza cutter and scale lightning loop damage.

Sigmaah

ZERO FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like it if Zero didn't have some combination of hyper active buttons, soft knockdown and massive float time on everything and the best projectile in the game.

Listen, I'm sorry but fuck man that set with Sigmaah almost undid all the fun/good times I had playing Frantic right beforehand. That character is an abomination.

When's Megaman X?

I think Capcom did me a favor by making Zero sooo good for not adding X in lol, YAY ZERO!!!!!!!!!

Y'all needa stop hating on da homie Zero, just learn to beat him? :>

Azure J

I'd like it if Zero didn't have some combination of hyper active buttons, soft knockdown and massive float time on everything and the best projectile in the game.

Listen, I'm sorry but fuck man that set with Sigmaah almost undid all the fun/good times I had playing Frantic right beforehand. That character is an abomination.

When's Megaman X?

Frantic

My most recent set with Sigmaah really made me start paying attention to my back dashing. Nothing like getting consistently clipped low even when landing into a crouch block to totally ruin your mood. The set also made me reconsider learning Zero because if I can get that unhealthily angry at that little bitch, why would I ever want to invoke that upon anyone else? :lol
I'm an evil person, so inflicting rage makes me feel soooo gooood. Haha.

Dunno how I feel about Vergil. I don't think he's my style even if I know the combos and have a good idea on neutral/getting hits.
I can't really play Vergil anymore. He feels so... clunky in comparison to other characters. I'm not even sure why, since it's not like he has Iron-Man's dash or anything.

Tangent: I know you loved the Burn Kick Feint into grab reset I busted out in one of the matches to get you out of the corner from the first grab combo. Also, Seismo FADCs are beautiful, until you get randomness like random j.Ss when you wanted jump canceled Focus Attack stance.
No joke, I was randomly considering mashing throw during the combo right before you hit me with the reset but decided against it. I was like 'god dammit, I need to just listen to my gut'.

Every time I mash something out, it's calculated/predicted, I swear!

I'd say it's more like 60% of the time I'm back dashing, 30% of the time, it's a delayed push block attempt and 10% it's me not adapting to Speed of Light™ gameplay.
It's super dangerous to do delayed pushblocks against me. I love my frametraps with Dante!

Also, I really need to experiment more with Million Stabs in blockstrings and as a poke. I'm just too used to going right into Reverb Shock that I always forget. Also need to master plinking a Teleport after a Stinger.

Speaking of Vergil, can someone help me out with this BnB I'm working on? It's super hard.

LMH6H spin kicks xx teleport, jMHS xx Round Trip(instant before you hit the ground), H xx Ball M, H S, j2H(tip top of the hitbox), A1(Poison Shot), dash up 2H6H xx Round Trip, 2H Ball M, 2H

Is there a way to help with the first round trip timing? Thing is like a two frame link and it's hard to tell how close I am to the ground.

smurfx

get some go again

When's Megaman X?
my team does pretty well against zero so i don't have a huge hate for him. i reserve all my hate for doom missiles and Tacs.

Dahbomb

Also, fuck Zero all day long. Vergil doesn't frustrate me anywhere near Zero. I've hated that character since his reveal, and I loathe him more every day. I usually end up quitting a set if my opponent picks Zero just because his endless pressure and boring gameplay style. He makes the game legitimately unfun. Hell, every Zero player I've ever talked to says they need alt teams because he's so boring to use, too. The entire game would be better off without him in it.

i reserve all my hate for doom missiles and Tacs.
Good good...

Though honestly I too hate Missiles and TAC more than Zero. I used to hate Zero A LOT first week of UMVC3 and practically quit the game because of him.

Also I don't think Zero is that boring. I like his neutral game, I like doing his command dashes + air dashes and holding a button for that big Buster attack. I like opening people up with the command dash into Buster. I like doing his back wave dash. I like doing his DP into Buster because it's an actual useful DP. I like spamming shit with Sogenmu. I mean it's far more involved than anything with Vergil and Wolverine.

What I don't like are 5 things of Zero:

*Pizza Cutter allows Zero players to get by on shit defense because it covers so many options for you.

*I hate, hate the hit stop non sense on his combos. Makes his long combos appear to be even longer.

*Near full screen hit confirms with Lightning leading into a TOD. There is no reason why Zero should be using his Lightning as a zoning tool, there is no reason it should be causing soft knockdown and there is no reason it should persist on screen after Zero cancels it with a Buster.

*His damage scaling. It's the same as Hulk and Dark Phoenix. Let that sink in for a bit.

*His TAC glitch obviously.

Most of these things can easily be rectified.

Honestly speaking as much as I like Vergil, there are quite a few things I hate about him too.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69779966]I don't care that much about Zero since my characters can fight him.

Viewtiful Joe is too strong.[/QUOTE]

Joe needs buffs, if anything. Well, I want him to get buffs at least.

And I'm giving you valuable Kusoru experience!

I just fought a Morri/Joe/Vergil team online. SO weird. :lol

EDIT: His Vergil is pretty much your standard online Vergil. Helm Breaker, H/S blockstring, etc. His Morrigan is alright, but he started to crumple when I went Joe/Frank/Missiles.

More general combos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty3YH_yqTt8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK31ItS8UII

I usually just go for excalibur loops. For those you can get a hard knock down activate orbs then slide jump then press j.H canceled into l excalibur. Repeats the j.H to excalibur until your opponent dies. I know you can also get these as long as your opponent is at jump height so it's possible off of a gram, his command dash special or even L excalibur.

Edit: posted the wrong orbs video.

@Mango Sentinel: Here's a fairly practical xf3 Strider bnb: http://youtu.be/GN5uIB7hLws

Notations are:
cr.L, cr.M, cr.H, S, j.M, j.H, qcf.L, land and jump, j.M, j.H, qcf.L, (land) st.M, S, j.M, j.H, qcf.L, land and jump, j.H, j.S (land), qcb.S, qcb.S, dash forward, S, j.M, j.M, j.H, j.S, (land), qcb.H, down-fwd H, S, double jump+j.S, (land), qcb.H, down-fwd H, S, double jump+j.S, (land), legion.

It takes up a ton of x-factor time (by the time I kill Thor), but unless you haven't hit your opponent at all and they're playing an unusually high health team, you'll actually kill pretty quickly. Just eye-balling it from my video, I broke 900k meterlessly using around a quarter of my x-factor time, which isn't too bad, especially since Strider gets this kind of damage from any of his practical xf3 confirms. I'm not sure how my combo compares with Foward's/Dick Win's as far as practicality and time efficiency are concerned, but it gets the job done.
Thank you very much gentlemen. I don't know if I'm ballsy enough to try to implement this shit at Evo, but I will certainly apply it afterward.
What are Joe's flaws?

I can tell you one thing I hate.....his cr.M moves him backwards.....wtf. It's caused me to drop a lot of combos. I always have to remember to stand back up after a cr.L.

I've enjoyed playing him lately, but he gets me a lot of hate mail.....not that I have a problem with that.

Vice

Thank you very much gentlemen. I don't know if I'm ballsy enough to try to implement this shit at Evo, but I will certainly apply it afterward.

I can tell you one thing I hate.....his cr.M moves him backwards.....wtf. It's caused me to drop a lot of combos. I always have to remember to stand back up after a cr.L.

I've enjoyed playing him lately, but he gets me a lot of hate mail.....not that I have a problem with that.

Snap with strider after a few gram loops. Everyone hates blocking his incoming mixups.

Yeah, I agree, I kept getting owned with my Nova/Strange/Spencer team everytime I went for a FoF loop for the first few matches because the lag would make me drop it. I started going for simpler variations, but even sometimes the super wouldn't come out or something weird, lol.
I noticed that.

I actually kind of find Zero fun, but I think if an imaginary patch were to ever come out, they really need to fix his meter gain. It's kind of ridiculous any type of hit confirm leads to lightning loops which gain enough meter for another lightning loop 99% of the time. I'm okay with loops since they do take some effort to do under pressure, but I feel like he'd be much more interesting if he could loop and then have to resort to a reset instead of insta-death as soon as you touch a character with him. He's really a joy to play when you're doing resets when you don't have meter, or having to play smart with buster against Strider assist or another Zero...but I'm not a fan of his one touch death stuff at all.

EDIT: Also nerf pizza cutter and scale lightning loop damage.
I'm okay with Lightning Loops, they just need to do less damage.

By big problems with Zero are his pressure and the buster shot. That buster shot should take another good 2 seconds to charge and have its hitbox reduce by half. It feels like it has a hitbox the size of Viewtiful Joe's Desperado. And once Zero gets in, it takes a good 5 seconds of pushblocking to get him out against a skilled player. It's really absurdly boring.

Oh, and special moves should not be buster cancelable for him.

Fixed character.

Hidden Missiles are far less problematic. They don't kill your entire team off a touch, and they don't make it a 1 player game. They're just a little too good, and I emphasize a little. If you gave them another 15 frames of startup time, they would be perfectly fine. The real problem is a lack of decent characters with good assists. What makes Doom so pickable is that he has S tier assists and ~A tier gameplay solo. There are only two other characters I can say that about: Strider, and Rocket Raccoon. RR is hard as hell to play, though, so no one uses him. If Niitsuma had the brains to spread the assist love around, I promise you that Hidden Missiles would not be seen nearly as much.

Top Bottom