• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

True, a lot of crap can but can I have a specific scenario?
Tries to lay a trap and gets hit by Magnum. :p

If you have to burn XF3 to get Dark Phoenix (bad set), then Dark Phoenix rarely closes the game out because of the health drain and her low health. Most people just superjump up-back and then chip her out with some small thing. A beam hyper, a Strider assist call, etc.

I also think people are still overestimating how strong Wolverine is a little bit. People are still pushblocking him constantly despite half his moves being punishable. Berserker Barrage is punishable on hit. Drill Claw is probably the least punished move on whiff I've ever seen.

PR Rog and Justin both used it like an airdash at evo even though it's fully vulnerable until you hit the ground.

Sheroking

Just add some start-up to L and M Tornado claw. If he can't juggle Fatal Claw, he can't kill without X-Factor, TAC, DHC or Level 3. He should be an overwhelming rushdown character, he just shouldn't be able to easily one touch you. He should need multiple touches.

I-hate-u

Wolverine is completely fair except for damage which comes from his fatal loops Take away the fatal claw loops away and he is very well balanced.

As a Wolvy player I can tell you that people have figured out his nonsense. He doesn't have horrible match-ups but if people get their zoning started he as a tough time getting in. He also gets baited a lot.

Giving him a proper wave dash without Berserker Charge coming out would be nice but it would make him OP.

No Dark Phoenix. 750K health. Healing Field reworked, a consistent amount of heal when near opponeny, no more than 200k health healed per activation. Cannot build meter during hyper.[/QUOTE]

That would be too sick. Its a shame too because her fighting design is so right up my alley. She would probably be better than Magneto on point with 750k health

Tries to lay a trap and gets hit by Magnum. :p

If you have to burn XF3 to get Dark Phoenix (bad set), then Dark Phoenix rarely closes the game out because of the health drain and her low health. Most people just superjump up-back and then chip her out with some small thing. A beam hyper, a Strider assist call, etc.

Well of course Magnum is gonna mull through, shit goes through everything, But if she is able to get chris to block, he is going to have a hard time getting a shot out. Wouldn't you call that a counter? Then again, she can fly and spam from the air, given the player times them right, she can block as she falls. Even use f. H to use the feathers to use as protection as she falls. How many are using her feathers as cover too? I don't see to many players use them as cover, only as mix up tools. If they do super jump back, use teleport to can take advantage of the screen cover. TK shot L and M eat beams, TK shot H doesn't as much since both spheres act independent. Traps M also eat beams, but is situational. As for Strider assist, players are gonna have to be smart and not spam. Isn't that a counter though? But from my experience, s. H feathers clip strider as he comes down. Even air H feathers clip him.

Yeah, DP needs that health drain. And making feathers fly farther? They stuff out rushdown enough as it is.

I see what you're doing, Karst.
I'm making changes to her with our system changes in mind. Characters can no longer chain s.L/c.L on whiff, so she can't just spam little feathers anymore. She needs some kind of range buff to make up for that. We're also reducing damage and X-Factor damage, so she probably will not be able to make comebacks in XF3 nearly as easy.

Well of course Magnum is gonna mull through, shit goes through everything, But if she is able to get chris to block, he is going to have a hard time getting a shot out. Wouldn't you call that a counter? Then again, she can fly and spam from the air, given the player times them right, she can block as she falls. Even use f. H to use the feathers to use as protection as she falls. How many are using her feathers as cover too? I don't see to many players use them as cover, only as mix up tools. If they do super jump back, use teleport to can take advantage of the screen cover. TK shot L and M eat beams, TK shot H doesn't as much since both spheres act independent. Traps M also eat beams, but is situational. As for Strider assist, players are gonna have to be smart and not spam. Isn't that a counter though? But from my experience, s. H feathers clip strider as he comes down.
You're all over the place here, haha. What are you getting at?

You're all over the place here, haha. What are you getting at?

Your using the system changes you guys were wanting, I wasn't. This is discussion is miles from each other. Oops.
But looking at it from the system changes your wanting, it still doesn't look right. Her feathers are all going to go out farther, meaning her mix up and cover are going to be better, so will her cover of TK shot H. as will as air S into flight then TK shot H.
Almost everything she has can nullify projectiles. She'd be able to withstand most spam wars, given a few counters, Morri/doom and Dr. Strange come to mind. And you want to be able to let her move as she pleases without the need to hurry? In XF she still has to hurry up since it is timed.
I don't know how to make this anymore clear, she needs it Karst, and that's coming from
an actual Phoenix player.

I just caught wind of this whole patch thing. This game does need quite a few system changes, but I just wanna focus on Wright for now. I posted this list of buffs a few months ago and I feel it's still relevant (made a few edits):

When it comes to buffing Wright, there needs to be more focus on his modes outside of Turnabout Mode. Outside of one thing, Turnabout Mode is perfectly fine as it is, even with the timer. Here are my ideas for buffing Wright without completely breaking him:

-Cannot be grabbed through Maya's shield. Command grabs are Wright's worst nightmare right now because they prevent him from getting evidence safely. Wright vs. Super-Skrull is one of the dumbest match-ups I've ever witnessed.
OR
-Maya's shield either can absorb more damage or scales attacks properly. It's useless against most zoning characters since projectiles do so much raw damage.

-No bad evidence, or at least make it far, far less frequent. Furthermore, Wright can't pick up meat unless he has some red health to recover. I don't understand why he even has this considering no piece of evidence is useless in his games...

-Replace Paperwork High with Maya. No one uses Paperwork High over Paperwork Low anyways.

-Evidence projectiles and Paperwork become air-OK; Wright stalls in the air while presenting evidence, but falls normally during Paperwork. This will give Wright at least some air options besides his normals and Hold It/Objection. Plus, it makes him safer and more able to capable of using his projectiles against other zoners.

-c.H in Turnabout Mode hits low. I wouldn't mind his c.H in Trial Mode also hitting low, but Turnabout Mode is the priority here since he's more aggressive in that mode.

-Increased horizontal range on all of his normals.

There, a few buffs that don't make him overpowered, but makes his playstyle more effective and worthwhile.

I just caught wind of this whole patch thing. This game does need quite a few system changes, but I just wanna focus on Wright for now. I posted this list of buffs a few months ago and I feel it's still relevant (made a few edits):
I'm glad you posted. Now, my response:

Not being grabbed during Maya's Shield seems a bit extreme. How would a melee character even hurt him, then? I feel like Wright having to toss a c.L out to deter ground throws balances his shield out, which is really good. I do sympathize with the Super-Skrull match problem, though. I'm not sure what to do about that without wrecking the ability for all rushdown to touch him once he establishes his defenses.

I can get behind a damage absorption buff for Maya, but what I think we should really do is make damage scale when it hits her. Multi-hit projectiles annihilate the shield while single-hit ones do almost nothing.

I'm all about removing the bad evidence. Wright already has to hit people with a particular move to go into Turnabout. That's enough of a setback.

I suggested these assists for him:
Assists: “Get em’ Missile!”, Questioning (becomes Objection when appropriate), Gather/Present Evidence (continues to gather through the L+S, M+S, and H+S inputs until all evidence is gathered; uses L+S if in Trial mode; if all slots are filled and he is called while in Investigation mode, throws away his L+S item).

You can't give him a M-Maya?! move as an assist because it's Investigation only, right? He retains his stance as an assist, I thought.

-Evidence projectiles and Paperwork become air-OK; Wright stalls in the air while presenting evidence, but falls normally during Paperwork. This will give Wright at least some air options besides his normals and Hold It/Objection. Plus, it makes him safer and more able to capable of using his projectiles against other zoners.
I like this. Added to my list. Though I don't agree with stalling just because it would look weird to see Wright floating in the air like that.

-c.H in Turnabout Mode hits low. I wouldn't mind his c.H in Trial Mode also hitting low, but Turnabout Mode is the priority here since he's more aggressive in that mode.
I'm very wary of this. His fingers have huge range and chip as it is. I understand why you want this, but I'm more inclined to say that he should figure out ways to set up unblockables with his toolset.

-Increased horizontal range on all of his normals.
I think they're already bigger than the animation, don't you?

I still don't see why Wright has any bad evidence to begin with, nor do I see any argument that could even be considered "good" that is in favor of it.

It doesn't even make sense from a balancing perspective. Outside of the Cell Phone and Knife, his evidence projectiles are good, but not amazing.

Folder: Trap projectile that absorbs other projectiles, but has a random trajectory and stays out for a very short amount of time. Also, lots of start-up.
Photograph: Basically Unibeam L, but even more characters can crouch under it. Great durability, though.
Vase: Covers a nice area above and in front of Wright and has extremely fast start-up, but can completely miss characters standing in front of you and doesn't travel full-screen.
Watch: A Hadouken in everything but name. Same durability, same damage, same speed... I swear that the start-up and recovery frames are the same, too.

I suggested these assists for him:

You can't give him a M-Maya?! move as an assist because it's Investigation only, right? He retains his stance as an assist, I thought.

I like this. Added to my list. Though I don't agree with stalling just because it would look weird to see Wright floating in the air like that.

I'm very wary of this. His fingers have huge range and chip as it is. I understand why you want this, but I'm more inclined to say that he should figure out ways to set up unblockables with his toolset.

I think they're already bigger than the animation, don't you?

I don't feel like mutlquoting so I'll just list points:

-I was talking about his special, not his assist. Maya would be very useful in Trial Mode. I don't see the point in giving Wright two of what is essentially the same move and removing one of his best ones in Trial Mode.

-Even if I was talking about assists, you can still use Paperwork High and Press the Witness as assists even when Wright is in Investigation Mode, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

-Tell that to Haggar, who floats in the air when attempting his command grab lol. Or Captain America who has a double jump for no explainable reason.

-People can usually dodge Wright's set-ups into his unblockables too easily if they know that all they need to do is up-back. His only low normal during Turnabout Mode is his pitifully ranged c.L. Wright needs better high/low mix-ups in Turnabout Mode since his cross-up potential is zilch.

-Wright's hitboxes are fine vertically, but they have horrible horizontal range. Wright's c.H in Investigation Mode or Trial Mode should not miss on characters standing a couple of feet away from him. It's ridiculous how many times I've seen those moves barely whiff when it looks like they shouldn't.

I notice that FSLink is noticeably always absent when Wright's bad evidence is being brought up.

And yes, this is me calling you out. There's no excuse for bad evidence to be in the game.

FSLink

Banned
I always thought an interesting potential buff to Turnabout that I read awhile back is to be able to go with even just 1 good evidence if you land an Objection (map it to f.S?) but the amount of time you're in Turnabout depends on how many good evidence you have.

And I just feel like giving the "bad" evidence some use like being able to throw them with more durability is more interesting than just removing it altogether. The bad evidence isn't even what I'd consider the "worst" part about Wright, it's his inability to deal with beam assists and his really shitty range on his normals.

EDIT: There's also plenty of opportunities to get evidence provided you establish his defenses or utilize the Maya DHC trick or even have a chance to grab some after a knockdown or grab.

I always thought an interesting potential buff to Turnabout that I read awhile back is to be able to go with even just 1 good evidence if you land an Objection (map it to f.S?) but the amount of time you're in Turnabout depends on how many good evidence you have.

10 seconds per piece of good evidence sounds reasonable enough. Plus, maybe you can also decide between using Hold It or Objection depending on whether you're holding H or not, so Wright can still have his Hold It combos in Trial Mode.

FSLink

Banned
-People can usually dodge Wright's set-ups into his unblockables too easily if they know that all they need to do is up-back. His only low normal during Turnabout Mode is his pitifully ranged c.L. Wright needs better high/low mix-ups in Turnabout Mode since his cross-up potential is zilch.

-Wright's hitboxes are fine vertically, but they have horrible horizontal range. Wright's c.H in Investigation Mode or Trial Mode should not miss on characters standing a couple of feet away from him. It's ridiculous how many times I've seen those moves barely whiff when it looks like they shouldn't.
10 seconds per piece of good evidence sounds reasonable enough. Plus, maybe you can also decide between using Hold It or Objection depending on whether you're holding H or not, so Wright can still have his Hold It combos in Trial Mode.

I do agree with these.

I also like the idea of mapping charge motion to Missile to give him another low too and it adds another layer than just potentially mashing a c.H finger that hits low. Also the potential of giving him a self OTG for comboing after an air grab could be nice if you're already charging.

Karsticles said:
Yes, I agree, though I do feel that projectile lockdown->Maya super, or having to rely on a low hitting assist isn't enough. Missile on point would give him another tool without being braindead.

It doesn't even make sense from a balancing perspective. Outside of the Cell Phone and Knife, his evidence projectiles are good, but not amazing.
The bad evidence is really just to make it more difficult to get into Turnabout and to provide danger in Investigation mode since it won't be guaranteed you'd get them...this reasoning made more sense when he had those invincible assists. Not so much now when everyone realizes Turnabout has some pretty bad weaknesses, and Wright himself has difficulty landing Objection due to his lackluster normals.

Plus I really can't see Capcom removing it outright if it's already in the game as a mechanic...they clearly gave bad evidence to him as a downside for a reason even if most of us feel it's stupid. It's like expecting them to remove Dark Phoenix altogether, I just don't see them doing it rather than altering other aspects of the character first.

That's why I feel buffing his normals, giving bad evidence use, making switching between Investigation/Trial mode easier, and increasing Turnabout's viability would be a better approach. His stun combos are also criminally underused too outside of Turnabout. :p

I notice that FSLink is noticeably always absent when Wright's bad evidence is being brought up.

And yes, this is me calling you out. There's no excuse for bad evidence to be in the game.

I can't keep up with a topic if I'm working 12 hour shifts, sorry, but now I posted my explanation on why. I hope that clears it up.

Joke buff: Let him cancel into his taunt mid-combo during Turnabout mode so I can show off my badge like in the AA games more often.

I've asked everyone to comment, and I said anyone was welcome to offer to be a committee member.
Also, just to be clear:

The only reason we have a committee is that we need a way to make final decisions, and unanimous agreement between all of NeoGAF FG players is not going to happen. I asked for volunteers here and in the FGW thread, and not as many were interested as I had hoped. There's no illuminati stuff here - I didn't turn down any of the volunteers that offered to pilot the committee. Everyone's opinion is valuable, and I want as much input as possible. Every eye sees another perspective.
I guess that is a good response to what I just posted in the FGW thread.
I'm not dead set on the X-Factor timer stopping, it does seem neat, though.
What part of it is neat? Seems like this would just encourage late x-factor pops to avoid death. If you plan on increasing damage then I don't see the point on stopping the clock.
If others are against the tech throw window increasing, I'll remove it.
I don't care that much about it either way. It's just that we are entering BB levels of easy throw techs here.
FEATURESET CHANGES:
*Improved Netcode.
*Replay Mode.
*Hitbox Viewer (Training Mode).
*PS3 system parity.
*Vanilla MvC3 HUD option.
*Player Match, Lobbies, and offline play for H&H mode.
*”Kick” function added to Lobbies.

I figure that the system parity note is more of a "hey Capcom, we notice the difference - make sure this doesn't happen in the future" note than anything. I don't expect a fix there.
I can see these happening. Good luck on the fixed netcode, though.

Zissou

She-Hulk:
*Lights Out startup reduced to 20 frames.
*c.L chains into itself on block/hit.
*Taking out the Trash hitbox and invincibility slightly increased.
*Emerald Cannon hyper forces a wall bounce.
*Speed increased slightly.
*Emergency Landing (Catapult Cancel) no longer makes She-Hulk prone until landing.
*Canceling Runner’s Start has 0 frames of recovery.
*Torpedo assist startup reduced to 35.

Assists: Lights Out, Shooting Star, Torpedo

I like a lot of these changes. She-Hulk was slowly dropping tier-wise in vanilla- she was a strong but straight-forward character that got early victories because she was pure fundamentals and was straight-forward to use (and it didn't hurt that Tron assist helped her a ton too). She-Hulk needs vanilla rapid-fire crouching lights and her old slide back. Without strong low normals, her offense isn't very threatening at all. In vanilla, she was scary (and I firmly believe every character in marvel deserves to be scary) because if you sat crouch-blocking on the ground, you risked getting grabbed or hit by her overhead, if you stood and blocked or tried to jump you got caught by her strong lows, and if you jumped, you had to contend with j.H option select, anti-air command grab, and taking out the trash. Without strong lows, she became much less threatening, so at minimum , she needs those back. Also, she immensely benefited from the vanilla marvel meta game having virtually no zoning- if zoning had been more prevalent she would have been much worse, and since zoning is now very common, she has a much rougher time than she used to (even if she hadn't been nerfed, I don't think she'd be relevant at this point in ultimate).

To deal better with zoning, I think she needs to have emergency landing after catapult allow her to block immediately in the air (as you said). Cancelling Runner's Start having no recovery is also a good change. Emerald cannon forcing a wall-bounce is a much needed improvement as well. She-hulk has low damage for a heavy, so she either needs better tools, or she needs to hit a hell of a lot harder.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Aesthetically I would like the old X-Factor visuals back or at least something other than the belly nightlights we have now.

Dahbomb

I slept on it and couldn't think of any good new Wolverine changes. I think what we have is fine.

And you guys need to start consolidating those Wright changes. Shit is getting really messy.

I guess that is a good response to what I just posted in the FGW thread.
Yeah, we started this before the patch rumors came about. :p

What part of it is neat? Seems like this would just encourage late x-factor pops to avoid death. If you plan on increasing damage then I don't see the point on stopping the clock.
There's a good chance you'll die if you wait too long. I always pop X-Factor the moment there's a good opportunity to do so when I have 1 or 2 characters left, because otherwise there's a good chance I won't get to to anything with it.

However, I was thinking about revising it to "The timer cannot run out while X-Factor is running." instead of it stopping the clock - what do people think?

I don't care that much about it either way. It's just that we are entering BB levels of easy throw techs here.
How many frames do those have to tech?

I can see these happening. Good luck on the fixed netcode, though.
Some things are just added because I want them to know that we're unsatisfied, even if I don't think it will actually change.

I like a lot of these changes. She-Hulk was slowly dropping tier-wise in vanilla- she was a strong but straight-forward character that got early victories because she was pure fundamentals and was straight-forward to use (and it didn't hurt that Tron assist helped her a ton too). She-Hulk needs vanilla rapid-fire crouching lights and her old slide back. Without strong low normals, her offense isn't very threatening at all. In vanilla, she was scary (and I firmly believe every character in marvel deserves to be scary) because if you sat crouch-blocking on the ground, you risked getting grabbed or hit by her overhead, if you stood and blocked or tried to jump you got caught by her strong lows, and if you jumped, you had to contend with j.H option select, anti-air command grab, and taking out the trash. Without strong lows, she became much less threatening, so at minimum , she needs those back. Also, she immensely benefited from the vanilla marvel meta game having virtually no zoning- if zoning had been more prevalent she would have been much worse, and since zoning is now very common, she has a much rougher time than she used to (even if she hadn't been nerfed, I don't think she'd be relevant at this point in ultimate).

To deal better with zoning, I think she needs to have emergency landing after catapult allow her to block immediately in the air (as you said). Cancelling Runner's Start having no recovery is also a good change. Emerald cannon forcing a wall-bounce is a much needed improvement as well. She-hulk has low damage for a heavy, so she either needs better tools, or she needs to hit a hell of a lot harder.
Well, since I'm speeding her up a bit back to Vanilla status (not quite as fast, maybe), she doesn't need to hit quite as hard as Hulk. She also has a lot of unique ways to open people up that the other heavies do. I think she has a fuller moveset and speed to make up for the lower damage. Especially when she can do stuff like wire grapple assist into command grab, raw tag for more damage, etc.

Karst should add this to the list of system changes. This would be a great change.
Are you being serious? :p

Aesthetically I would like the old X-Factor visuals back or at least something other than the belly nightlights we have now.
You don't like the new version? After seeing it in person, it's pretty awesome. Characters look like they go all evil and stuff.

I also like the idea of mapping charge motion to Missile to give him another low too and it adds another layer than just potentially mashing a c.H finger that hits low. Also the potential of giving him a self OTG for comboing after an air grab could be nice if you're already charging.
Hmm. I'd be willing to give him a self-OTG. Would making M-Maya?! M/H appear faster do the trick?

Yes, I agree, though I do feel that projectile lockdown->Maya super, or having to rely on a low hitting assist isn't enough. Missile on point would give him another tool without being braindead.
I think it's important to keep in mind that Wright doesn't just have the overhead finger going for him, too. He still has his assists, and he has the projectile tools from his evidence. Everyone wants to up-back against Wright, but they're scared to do anything, so he's kind of like Dr. Strange during X-Factor. He needs to go for those air grabs. If c.H hit low, I think it would be a little ridiculous. Slasher uses Samurai Edge with Wright to create unblockables, and you can also give him a pinning assist. That's two ways to open people up that work really well for him. He has self-unblockables, too. I'm very wary of giving him the c.H low, especially since we're making it so much easier for him to collect evidence.

The bad evidence is really just to make it more difficult to get into Turnabout and to provide danger in Investigation mode since it won't be guaranteed you'd get them...this reasoning made more sense when he had those invincible assists. Not so much now when everyone realizes Turnabout has some pretty bad weaknesses, and Wright himself has difficulty landing Objection due to his lackluster normals.
Agreed. And random is just always bad in this game when it's negative. Good random can be okay, but not bad random.

Plus I really can't see Capcom removing it outright if it's already in the game as a mechanic...they clearly gave bad evidence to him as a downside for a reason even if most of us feel it's stupid. It's like expecting them to remove Dark Phoenix altogether, I just don't see them doing it rather than altering other aspects of the character first.
Well, this is a suggestion list. If we say we want bad evidence removes, Capcom will likely take notice and rethink the rates, at least.

I can't keep up with a topic if I'm working 12 hour shifts, sorry, but now I posted my explanation on why. I hope that clears it up.
You're doing fine. I don't expect anyone to be posting all day every day.

I don't feel like mutlquoting so I'll just list points:

-I was talking about his special, not his assist. Maya would be very useful in Trial Mode. I don't see the point in giving Wright two of what is essentially the same move and removing one of his best ones in Trial Mode.
Oh. I don't think letting Wright have some of the best projectiles in the game AND a shield barrier is a good idea. That sounds like a lot of bad matchups to me. Wolverine will be helpless.

-Even if I was talking about assists, you can still use Paperwork High and Press the Witness as assists even when Wright is in Investigation Mode, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.
Good to know.

-Tell that to Haggar, who floats in the air when attempting his command grab lol. Or Captain America who has a double jump for no explainable reason.
Captain America has the double jump because of tradition. /shrug. Haggar's is silly, but no need to increase silliness. Tracking projectiles being fired at the top of the screen several times is something that one can't implement lightly. Dr. Strange falls prone after Dagger of Denak for a reason (not that I think he should).

Someone suggested adding "Get em' Missile!" as a normal attack to help give him unblockable setups, and I approve of that.

I'll have to look at those hitboxes. I'm curious on what Slasher thinks about this.

i haven't found the notes you guys have put together, but how do you all feel about x-factor? honestly, aside from dark vergil, i think its coming around as a pretty good mechanic.

Zissou

Well, since I'm speeding her up a bit back to Vanilla status (not quite as fast, maybe), she doesn't need to hit quite as hard as Hulk. She also has a lot of unique ways to open people up that the other heavies do. I think she has a fuller moveset and speed to make up for the lower damage. Especially when she can do stuff like wire grapple assist into command grab, raw tag for more damage, etc.

Can you really balance her around specifically being paired with Spencer? Even if she is buffed considerably, Combofiend's old team isn't going to be winning a major anytime soon.

Saying she doesn't need to hit quite as hard as Hulk is understating the damage disparity between the characters. She-Hulk struggles to break 700k while Hulk can ToD Thor- they're not even in the same ballpark. Her moveset makes her a bit more versatile, yes, but she has the large negative of crap defense (slow normals, nothing invincible aside from taking out the trash) which means she can be rushed down, where other heavies like Haggar and Hulk are legitimately scary to approach.

Dahbomb

I think XF2 and XF3 can use minor scaling (15% decrease) but XF1 is for sure fine. I think if there is no universal health increase then XF2/XF3 should definitely be rescaled a bit.

The problem with Dark Vergil is a separate issue which has been addressed.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
You don't like the new version? After seeing it in person, it's pretty awesome. Characters look like they go all evil and stuff.

I don't like how it pretty much negates your character color choices while it's active.

i haven't found the notes you guys have put together, but how do you all feel about x-factor? honestly, aside from dark vergil, i think its coming around as a pretty good mechanic.
X-Factor is a necessary evil.

Can you really balance her around specifically being paired with Spencer? Even if she is buffed considerably, Combofiend's old team isn't going to be winning a major anytime soon.

Saying she doesn't need to hit quite as hard as Hulk is understating the damage disparity between the characters. She-Hulk struggles to break 700k while Hulk can ToD Thor- they're not even in the same ballpark. Her moveset makes her a bit more versatile, yes, but she has the large negative of crap defense (slow normals, nothing invincible aside from taking out the trash) which means she can be rushed down, where other heavies like Haggar and Hulk are legitimately scary to approach.
I plan on nerfing Hulk damage.

I understand where you are coming from, but what do you suggest?

Dahbomb

Armor on lamp post move...

Maybe.

Honestly even with all those changes I still struggle to see a reason to pick She Hulk over Nova.

I'm making changes to her with our system changes in mind. Characters can no longer chain s.L/c.L on whiff, so she can't just spam little feathers anymore. She needs some kind of range buff to make up for that. We're also reducing damage and X-Factor damage, so she probably will not be able to make comebacks in XF3 nearly as easy.

See? First day of characters and you're already making big stylistic changes to characters under the assumption Capcom is willing to do our system changes :-(

I'm worried that by the end of this a lot of changes aren't going to make sense outside of the context of a universal 20% damage nerf. Frankly I think it's going to make reading the thing confusing for people that aren't us.

FSLink

Banned
Hmm. I'd be willing to give him a self-OTG. Would making M-Maya?! M/H appear faster do the trick?
Well keep in mind that M-Maya?! causes hard knockdown and even if Wright gets hit while she's hitting the opponent she continues to do a hard knockdown. I think the speed is fine as is, the problem is that you can only do it in Investigation Mode, and Objection is Trial Mode only. It's difficult to combo into it with M-Maya?! without plinking and assists. Faster switching would be more ideal if we're not just gonna give him Missile on point.

I think it's important to keep in mind that Wright doesn't just have the overhead finger going for him, too. He still has his assists, and he has the projectile tools from his evidence. Everyone wants to up-back against Wright, but they're scared to do anything, so he's kind of like Dr. Strange during X-Factor. He needs to go for those air grabs. If c.H hit low, I think it would be a little ridiculous. Slasher uses Samurai Edge with Wright to create unblockables, and you can also give him a pinning assist. That's two ways to open people up that work really well for him. He has self-unblockables, too. I'm very wary of giving him the c.H low, especially since we're making it so much easier for him to collect evidence.
Yeah, I don't think it's completely necessary, especially since you can combo off his air grabs (even outside of Turnabout mode you can combo into Objection from super jump height from a grab!) but it's pretty difficult. Perhaps more hitstun on his non-finger air normals so it's easier for air to air confirmations.

Someone suggested adding "Get em' Missile!" as a normal attack to help give him unblockable setups, and I approve of that.
Also for it due to it adding another layer to his "zoning" game once he has evidence.

Agreed. And random is just always bad in this game when it's negative. Good random can be okay, but not bad random.
I always felt Capcom included Wright to be the "random" character so just make it so the amount of good evidence determines what "level" of Turnabout he'll be in (how much time, make Ace Attorney stronger or weaker depending on how much evidence you have or not make it available at all if you only have 1 evidence)

X-Factor needs to have the red effect toned down some so we can tell who's who during Dark Phoenix mirrors. That shit looks stupid.

I always felt Capcom included Wright to be the "random" character so just make it so the amount of good evidence determines what "level" of Turnabout he'll be in (how much time, make Ace Attorney stronger or weaker depending on how much evidence you have or not make it available at all if you only have 1 evidence)
I think the game deciphering between Hold It! and Objection! would become problematic.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";71757181]See? First day of characters and you're already making big stylistic changes to characters under the assumption Capcom is willing to do our system changes :-(

I'm worried that by the end of this a lot of changes aren't going to make sense outside of the context of a universal 20% damage nerf. Frankly I think it's going to make reading the thing confusing for people that aren't us.[/QUOTE]
Or it means Phoenix is a badly designed character and too reliant on system mechanics. None of the other characters have had problems against the suggested mechanics.

For me the only thing Phoenix needs is manual activation on Dark Phoenix (but on the ground only).

Or it means Phoenix is a badly designed character and too reliant on system mechanics. None of the other characters have had problems against the suggested mechanics.

For me the only thing Phoenix needs is manual activation on Dark Phoenix (but on the ground only).
Why ground only?

Map it to f.S?
I'm still hesitant about abusing the theme of the character. I'm curious what Poltergust and Slasher think about that.

FSLink

Banned
I'm still hesitant about abusing the theme of the character. I'm curious what Poltergust and Slasher think about that.

Hm, what do you mean? He could Objection at anytime during a trial when presenting evidence in the actual games. :p
I think a significant time increase at 3 good evidence + Ace Attorney available is a good incentive in trying to go for just 1 good evidence, and shorter duration Turnabout mode. (Plus the animation shows 3 good evidence so it would make sense to allow Ace Attorney only at "Lv3" Turnabout)

I do see your point, though. What if we reduced her health drain rate? I just feel like without X-Factor, Dark Phoenix is really underwhelming when she comes in.
I think without X-Factor she should be kinda underwhelming though...any anchor who comes in without X-Factor should be underwhelming.

The thing with Wright is that he was designed as a "mode" character, and a goofy "random" character. Buff mode switching and make switching faster... and make Trial mode more usable (almost nobody actually uses Trial mode outside of fishing for Objections), and the randomness wouldn't be terrible if Turnabout was more worthwhile as a final mode, and if tossing evidence didn't make him so vulnerable sometimes.

Dahbomb

Because if I have Phoenix in the corner when she is coming in I deserve to have her activate on my terms at the bare minimum. It would also still make anti Phoenix set ups viable.

And God's Beard is right, the whole point of the Healing Field is to counteract the draining health of DP. The character is a walking time bomb and it's really the only thing that makes the character hype. Remember Neo vs Ranmasama? Now imagine if there was no health drain in that match.... hype deflated.

Azure J

Hey, random thought since we're doing Phoenix now, maybe now we can ask for better color coding for multiple Dark Phoenixes in play? I seem to remember a few people asking for that since it was hard to tell which one was P1 or P2s at times because of all the flames everywhere and the outfits changing when she goes dark.

Dahbomb

Hey, random thought since we're doing Phoenix now, maybe now we can ask for better color coding for multiple Dark Phoenixes in play? I seem to remember a few people asking for that since it was hard to tell which one was P1 or P2s at times because of all the flames everywhere and the outfits changing when she goes dark.
There should also be better color selection for DT Vergil. Two of them almost look identical, even more so in XF.

Frantic

Just a couple suggestions on my part.

She-Hulk
* Emerald Cannon no longer crosses over to the other side on the first hit, as it was in vanilla.
* Torpedo causes less pushback
* Somersault Kick(all versions) have 1 hit of super armor
* Hitboxes on j.H and j.S adjusted to be more in line with vanilla.

Phoenix Wright
* Slip-Up startup reduced from 25 to 21 while out of Turnabout mode, and from 21 to 18 while in Turnabout mode.
* Travel distance and speed of dashes increased by 20%
* M-Maya?! L now takes proper damage scaling
* Slight range increase and startup decrease for all normals(outside of the Finger)
* Turnabout mode now lasts 1800 frames, up from 1200 frames.
And I agree that cr.H in Turnabout should be a low. Yes, yes, it'd make him extremely hard to block, but considering the shit he has to go through to get to Turnabout mode, I'd say it's fair.

Phoenix
* Normal Phoenix anti-air s.L hitstun adjusted so that it's easier to combo into s.M(as it is, it's kind of finicky if I remember right)

I can't think of anything else really for Phoenix or Wolverine(besides the 5 frame s.l!). However, the subject of Phoenix does remind me of something - what are we going to do about teleports against cornered opponents? Phoenix and Strange's teleports don't allow them to cross up cornered characters, but every other teleport does. What's the opinion on letting Phoenix and Strange cross up, or removing that ability from the other teleporters?

Good suggestions Frantic, I added a few to my own list. I'm still not on board with buffing Turnabout, though. We have to be careful about buffing Wright's ability to get into Turnabout and his abilities in Turnabout. That's a recipe for disaster. When Wright gets Turnabout, he really tends to win matches. Yipes lost to him, and on commentary Viscant and Magus (lol) both said that if Wright gets Turnabout, you need to burn X-Factor or whatever else you have to kill him. I totally agree with that sentiment, and I know that when SlasherMcGirk gets Turnabout mode, I will blow every resource I have to kill Wright, because he is just that dangerous.

I think the best approach to Wright is making Turnabout a more reasonable goal, and we've done that with changes to the M-Maya?! L shield and his evidence collection, along with the assist choices I gave him for players who want to bring him in easily (collect 3 evidence by assist, spent 1 bar to TAC to Wright - easy Turnabout). Anything more than that is going to get terrifying. We also have to keep in mind that we're nerfing most of the top tiers in the game, and those are the characters to typically have such good pressure that Wright can't get anything done.

I went through and made a list of all the assist changes I want for all the characters this morning. I hope people like them, because I got creative (but simple) with a few. A few MvC2-style assists coming back!

Regarding corner teleports:
I think Dark Phoenix is the scariest thing in this game still. The corner should be your safe haven against her, her one weakness. Every Dark Phoenix player knows that you need to be sure your opponent doesn't get into the corner. I think this is a balanced limitation on her. She still has double overheads and stuff to open people up with, and she can combo off of her air throw.

Dr. Strange, on the other hand, I think is a confusion of policy. Everyone seems to think he's supposed to set himself up for teleport mix-ups, but that is not the point of the character. Pre-release, Seth Killian said that Dr. Strange was their attempt at a pure keepaway character (Arthur cries at this). He's not supposed to be using Eye of Agamotto to spam teleport mix-ups and such. I've only ever seen one person use him right (with Rapid Slash as his primary assist), and he's truly terrifying to behold.

I'm not set on saying "no" to changing Dr. Strange's teleport, but I'm wary of it. I'll be suggesting some other changes that fix a lot of his problems already.

I'll add a note about this.

FGTV system changes:
Universal system changes:
- Incoming hit stun deterioration on TAC combos starts at 0 and then increases like a normal combo instead of remaining at 0 during the whole combo. Will eliminate TAC infinites as well as drastically long fly combos. This will make TACs more balanced with characters who do not have flight mode options.
- Air throw commands changed to b+h and f+h only. Can no longer airthrow using diagonals to prevent accidental “option select” air throws + command normals.
- Air throw tech window increased to 10 frames from 7. We feel air throws are too hard to tech in its current state.
- Unlimited amount of break attempts on TACs. I.e., when an attacker uses XFC to cancel a TAC attempt to another TAC attempt, the defender will be able to attempt to break both instead of just the first.
- XFC reduced damage across the board (all speed increases will remain the same). Value remains to be decided.
- Remove light chain whiffs to all characters to make it harder to anti-air characters by mashing standing light.

Impressive how similar they are to our own.

Frantic

Well, I just feel like if Wright gets Turnabout, he kind of deserves to be OP if it's going to be a timed thing. Dark Phoenix and Frank West get their stuff infinitely, and imo, those two modes are much scarier than Turnabout mode.

And even if we are nerfing some of the characters, and buffing his ability to get Turnabout, he's still going to have a bitch of a time getting it against any half-decent player who knows how to approach the matchup. I don't know. I'll stew on the idea some.

Regarding corner teleports:
I think Dark Phoenix is the scariest thing in this game still. The corner should be your safe haven against her, her one weakness. Every Dark Phoenix player knows that you need to be sure your opponent doesn't get into the corner. I think this is a balanced limitation on her. She still has double overheads and stuff to open people up with, and she can combo off of her air throw.

Dr. Strange, on the other hand, I think is a confusion of policy. Everyone seems to think he's supposed to set himself up for teleport mix-ups, but that is not the point of the character. Pre-release, Seth Killian said that Dr. Strange was their attempt at a pure keepaway character (Arthur cries at this). He's not supposed to be using Eye of Agamotto to spam teleport mix-ups and such. I've only ever seen one person use him right (with Rapid Slash as his primary assist), and he's truly terrifying to behold.

I'm not set on saying "no" to changing Dr. Strange's teleport, but I'm wary of it. I'll be suggesting some other changes that fix a lot of his problems already.
Oh, I agree about Dark Phoenix. I do not want her to be able to cross people up with a teleport in the corner. However, more than asking to make those two characters cross up, I'm asking if we should make the other characters not cross up. :p

Dahbomb

http://fgtvlive.com/?p=326

ShadyK makes a general post about patching.

Highlights:

*Don't nerf Morrigan, nerf Wolverine instead!
*Don't buff low tiers just "cuz".. give then interesting tools
*Don't nerf X factor too much but still tone down Vergil
*Remove cross up supers and Helm Breaker/Dive Kick OS

Top Bottom