• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

Yeah we had a long discussion yesterday and basically arrived to the conclusion that Pizza Cutter should not be nerfed. It's a highly telegraphed move and it's one of the few moves that Zero actually can't cancel into Buster (he can only cancel it into S). It's also his last line of defense.

First of all... why are you changing his assist? I don't see the utility in having an L fireball vs an H fireball. Why not just giving him a Buster shot instead?
His third assist is Shippuga, and it's entirely worthless. Different fireball speeds are good for different characters. If you have a suggestion to replace one of the fireballs, let me know. The buster shot would be completely worthless as an assist. It's just a crappy version of Hadageki uncharged. No way in hell are we giving Zero the charged buster shot as an assist. That thing beats EMD and Plasma Beam usually.

Secondly I cannot be behind Setsuizan not hitting multiple characters. This was a problem when Zero did boat loads of damage, now it's not a big deal. If you start on this slippery slope then a lot of characters should have their OTG 2 character pick ups be nerfed. I don't want that at all.
Wesker and Wolverine already got this treatment. We're just bringing Zero in line with it. Doom also can't carry two characters. There are only a handful of characters who can carry 2 through their full bnb. Everyone else has to create an alternate combo just for assists or use a modified version of their combo. Zero has the best pressure in the game; no way should he get easy happy birthdays. If someone wants to, they can double skittles through X-Factor like most of the game's characters.

God's Beard is about to go ham on you for nerfing Pizza Cutter... And Buster's hit box is fine, the hit bubble is EXACTLY the size of the visual projectile animation. Probably one of the few moves in the game that is properly hit box coded.
The buster shot travels ridiculously fast and has a huge hitbox. One of those needs to change. I'll undo the j.H change.

I have no problem with the assist calling from SJ height. If you can manage to get way the fuck up there without super jumping then more power to you.

Yeah, as long as there's no sj to get there like with the triple jumpers I don't see why that'd need to get taken away.

I don't have anything to add about Zero that hasn't been said.

Moving on to Rocket, the only things I REALLY want right now are

-Slight health boost maybe.
-Higher damage/less scaling?
-Less scaling after Net Trap
-A way to confirm hits from a height higher than barely above the gound
-Reduced start up on Net Trap but still longer than Claymore
-Have traps activate when the opponent gets knocked into them too, not just if they're standing.
-Allow bear trap to cause ground bounce during the entire time the opponent is down, no forced rolling unless ground bounce is used up already.

Things that could be interesting
-Remove the restriction of only being able to have one of the same type of trap at the same time but limit it to only 3 on screen.
- An air version of cH

Dahbomb

Wesker's gun shot always couldn't pick up two characters. They definitely nerfed Wolverine's Drill Claw but he can still pick up 2 characters with his Slide and with an assist it's no sweat like on PR Rog's team. Sentinel has full combo from happy birthday, Hulk has full combo, Vergil has full combo, Nova has full combos, Viper has full combos etc.

I mean I really don't want to go down this road because now I am going to nerf every character who has OTG double character pick ups.

The buster shot travels ridiculously fast and has a huge hitbox.
That's the point though, it's a projectile you don't get to spam or use often plus it's usually saved for other utility purposes.

Here are the summary posts for the characters we are working on right now:

Zero:
*Soft knockdown on Lightning removed; hitstun remains high.
*Minimum scaling on specials and normals reduced 15%
*Lightning canceled by Buster no longer creates a hitbox.
*Hit stop during combos reduced for improved combo flow.
*Sentsuizan no longer hits multiple characters.
*Level 3 buster shot hitbox reduced, requires 200 charging frames, hits 9 times.

Assists: Hadangeki L, Ryuenjin H, Hadangeki H

Phoenix Wright:
*Bad evidence removed from the game.
*”M-Maya?!” L appears closer to Wright than before, startup is reduced to 15 frames, and the shield now benefits from damage scaling.
*c.H (Turnabout) now hits low.
*Stance Change reduced to 10 frames (from 20).
*”M-Maya?!” M and H startup reduced to 20 frames.
*”Get em’ Missile!” added as a normal move; charge back for 30 frames, then forward and M; startup is 15 frames, 10 recovery.
*Present Evidence and Paperwork air OK.
*Slip-Up startup reduced to 19 frames.
*Dash distance increased by 20%, total dash time unchanged.
*Hitboxes on normals improved slightly.

Assists: “Get em’ Missile!”, Questioning (becomes Objection when appropriate), Gather/Present Evidence (continues to gather through the L+S, M+S, and H+S inputs until all evidence is gathered; uses L+S if in Trial mode; if all slots are filled and he is called while in Investigation mode, throws away his L+S item).

Ghost Rider:
*Spirit of Vengeance now has hyper armor on frame 0.
*Spirit of Vengeance (H follow-up) now recovers faster, allowing for a follow-up combo.
*Chain-based normals now deal 15% chip damage.
*Heartless Spire vertical hitbox increased; jump-cancelable.
*Judgment Strike now reaches full-screen.
*Chain of Rebuttal vertical hitbox extended downward; now air OK.
*Forward dash distance increased by 50%; total active frames unchanged.
*Hellfire (all versions) are now +10 on block; startup reduced to 10 frames for all versions.
*dp.M and qcb.M hitboxes widened.
*c.M startup reduced to 9 frames; hitbox increased slightly and travels slightly farther.
*Heartless Spire assist startup changed to 34 frames, upper body invincible.

Assists: Judgment Strike, Chain of Rebuttal, Heartless Spire

Storm:
*Lightning Sphere hitbox increased, recovery reduced significantly, chargeable for a larger hitbox/hitstun, H version now has slight tracking.
*Double Typhoon now reaches to superjump height.
*Double Typhoon startup reduced from 63 frames to 42 frames.
*Lightning Storm damage increased slightly; soft knockdown on all but the last hit.
*Flight startup reduced to 15 frames.
*Storm is now able to air dash twice after jumping, without Flight.
*Fair/Foul Wind active frames reduced to 15, total opposing character movement unchanged.
*Whirlwind startup time reduced by 5 (all versions).
*No longer mentioned T’Challa in her battle quotes.

Assists: Whirlwind H, Typhoon (Tracking), Lightning Sphere H.

Rocket Raccoon:
*Bear Trap startup reduced to 15 frames.
*Mad Hopper is now a permanent projectile.
*Rocket Raccoon’s aerial series is now more reliable.
*Oil Bomb fire is refreshed when a new Oil Bomb is thrown on it.
*j.S hitstun increased significantly.
*Rocket Skate now cancelable into j.S.
*Spitfire projectile durability changed to 4 per shot.
*Grab Bag startup reduced to 20 frames; damage decay from resulting combos decreased.

Assists: Double Spitfire M, Pendulum, Grab Bag

Dahbomb

All versions of Whirlwind reach full screen please.

For Spirit of Vengeance... if you can combo after it now that means you can loop the hypers together.

All versions of Whirlwind reach full screen please.
I'm not opposed to it, but I need something that really differentiates them besides startup time. No one is going to take more damage over a slower startup time in the neutral. Doom and Magneto players only do it for the projectile durability increase, but that's not relevant here.

Idea: What if L/M/H all had different angles they fired the whirls at? Air version does slight up tilt, forward, slight down tilt. Ground version does forward, slight up tilt, considerable up tilt.

Dahbomb

They are differentiated by frame advantage on block, damage (chip) and start up. That is enough. No need to change angles or such.

I don't know shit about Rocket Raccoon to know if all those changes are good or broken. All I know is that scaling is not an issue with the character in terms of doing low damage, it's base damage. My issues with the character has always been the following: Crazy low hit stun on moves in general, no good super jump or high height confirm combo and rocket skates are kinda laggy in recovery... they looked like they were supposed to be like pseudo tri dashes but they don't really function like that.

They are differentiated by frame advantage on block, damage (chip) and start up. That is enough. No need to change angles or such.

I don't know shit about Rocket Raccoon to know if all those changes are good or broken. All I know is that scaling is not an issue with the character in terms of doing low damage, it's base damage.
Only the startup matters in the neutral. No one is going to use the other two versions.

Dahbomb

Only the startup matters in the neutral. No one is going to use the other two versions.
That's why I said you need to tinker with the durability. You probably need to rework the move so that it actually conforms to normal durability clashing.

Other than that I don't care if people only use the L version of Whirlwind... at least they would be using it.

Dahbomb

I know that but as long as it's durability is around 5 or higher I am fine. The start up and full screen L/M version is way more important to me.

I know that but as long as it's durability is around 5 or higher I am fine. The start up and full screen L/M version is way more important to me.
I'll write something up and let's see how it works out.

Here:
*Whirlwind startup time reduced by 5 (all versions); durability and instance creation now beam-based; L version is 5x1, M version is 7x1, and H version is 10x1; all versions now travel full screen.

I'm not sure if I like it, but do you? Block advantage would stay the same: -2; +7; +10.

Dahbomb

That for sure works for me. Whirlwind would get stuffed out by Disruptor on start up but the higher levels would beat it out in durability. I am 100% OK with this. Higher levels still beat out the basic fireballs like Soul Fist.

Also I think the H version is a bit high. The L version is basically a single fireball but H is like 2 Hadokens packed in one. Hadokens and Beam interact a bit differently because of how the hits are distributed. I would honestly reduce the durability of H just a tad bit, down to 9 so 2 fireballs would still beat it. Would also make the increase linear going up by 2 per level, more intuitive to remember.

Sigmaah

Zero:
*Lightning canceled by Buster no longer creates a hitbox.
*Sentsuizan no longer hits multiple characters.
*Level 3 buster shot hitbox reduced, requires 200 charging frames, hits 9 times.
*j.H startup increased to 12 frames.

Assists: Hadangeki L, Ryuenjin H, Hadangeki H

I can take all them nerfs besides the last 3. No need for them (I was open about nerfing pizza but I guess ppl don't want it nerfed so I'm fine with that also!)

I still feel like we need to nerf Zero's pressure game somehow. It's really ridiculous as-is.

That for sure works for me. Whirlwind would get stuffed out by Disruptor on start up but the higher levels would beat it out in durability. I am 100% OK with this. Higher levels still beat out the basic fireballs like Soul Fist.

Also I think the H version is a bit high. The L version is basically a single fireball but H is like 2 Hadokens packed in one. Hadokens and Beam interact a bit differently because of how the hits are distributed. I would honestly reduce the durability of H just a tad bit, down to 9 so 2 fireballs would still beat it. Would also make the increase linear going up by 2 per level, more intuitive to remember.
Done.

I can take all them nerfs besides the last 3. No need for them (I was open about nerfing pizza but I guess ppl don't want it nerfed so I'm fine with that also!)
Zero shouldn't get full 100% combos on his happy birthdays.

The level 3 buster shot needs serious nerfs. I'm not letting all of those go. Time to make an argument if you have one.

Dahbomb

So any one want to explain some of the RR changes? I get the hit stun change on j.S and the scaling after the trap but the rest of the stuff doesn't strike me as "he really needs it". Not that I am opposing anything, just would like to hear some reasoning behind some of them.

The level 3 shot does not need nerfs because it's not a spammable move. He can't use it all the time and for that it should be powerful. I feel the person who wants it nerfed needs a bigger justification to have it changed.

So any one want to explain some of the RR changes? I get the hit stun change on j.S and the scaling after the trap but the rest of the stuff doesn't strike me as "he really needs it". Not that I am opposing anything, just would like to hear some reasoning behind some of them.
Sure:

Rocket Raccoon:
*Bear Trap startup reduced to 15 frames. - makes his OTG combo follow-up more consistent; even veteran players drop it right now.
*Mad Hopper is now a permanent projectile. - I just like the idea of this staying on the screen longer. 600 frames is too short. Why not make it permanent?
*Rocket Raccoon’s aerial series is now more reliable. - less combo drops.
*Oil Bomb fire is refreshed when a new Oil Bomb is thrown on it. - additional Oil Bombs currently do nothing when thrown on the fire; doesn't make sense.
*j.S hitstun increased significantly. - easier hit confirms.
*Rocket Skate now cancelable into j.S. - better rushdown approach option; lets him combo from high up in the screen by chaining j.S and Rocket Skate.
*Spitfire projectile durability changed to 4 per shot. - this is how strong the assist version is; right now it's 3 per shot, and he just gets stomped by beams as-is. It needs a little staying power for how long it takes to fire two.
*Grab Bag startup reduced to 20 frames; damage decay from resulting combos decreased. - too long to use reasonably right now at 25 frames.

Assists: Double Spitfire M, Pendulum, Grab Bag

Ghazi

So I just got downgraded to Silver Medal for matchmaking quality because my Xbox has frozen 3 times today midmatch and over 4 or 5 times in other places because of reasons I can't talk about.

Fucking MS man, fix your shit plz.

Sigmaah

Zero shouldn't get full 100% combos on his happy birthdays.

The level 3 buster shot needs serious nerfs. I'm not letting all of those go. Time to make an argument if you have one.

What's your specific reasoning? I need to hear that so I can understand why you want those nerfs. Maybe you already said it and I passed it?

Scumbag Zero player!!!!!

LMFAO!!!!!!

Hey, I said you could nerf it and I play him, ppl who don't really play him (I think) say keep it! WHAT THE FUCK? LOL.

So I just got downgraded to Silver Medal for matchmaking quality because my Xbox has frozen 3 times today midmatch and over 4 or 5 times in other places because of reasons I can't talk about.

Wanna play?

Dahbomb

The only way to decrease Zero's pressure is to increase his Buster charge time. That is the one nerf that is remotely acceptable because beyond this we are getting into "over nerf" territory. I want Zero to have a strong pressure and a strong neutral game. Zero keeps a character like Wolverine in check, more honest Zeros means less Wolverines. We have already nerfed his two biggest attributes... the damage and the Lightning.

Made it a little more concise, I think.

Zero:

Assists: Shippuga, Ryuenjin H, Hadangeki H

Storm:
*Lightning Sphere hitbox increased, recovery reduced significantly, chargeable for a larger hitbox/hitstun, H version now has slight tracking.
*Storm can now airdash twice outside of flight mode
*Fair/Foul Wind active frames reduced to 20, total opposing character movement unchanged.
*Lightning Storm soft knockdown on all but the last hit.

Assists: Whirlwind H, Typhoon L, Lightning Sphere H.

Rocket Raccoon:
*All traps last for 300 frames instead of 180
*jH replaced with his standing H animation
*Air Spitfire cancels into Rocket Skates
*Oil Bomb can be triggered by any projectile

Assists: Double Spitfire M, Pendulum, Oil Bomb

Dahbomb

Oil Bomb can be lit by any projectile? I DON'T LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT!

God's Beard is try to play us for a fool. Use Oil Bomb as an assist, point character gets to blow it up with him on projectile meaninh he gets a flame carpet like assist.

YOU THOUGHT YOUR BUFFS WERE SAFE?

Why can't you talk about it?...

What's your specific reasoning? I need to hear that so I can understand why you want those nerfs. Maybe you already said it and I passed it?
The three reasons are pretty simple:
1) The hitbox is so huge that it's almost impossible to miss. A little discretion should be used when firing it.

2) The buster shot charges up in 150 frames right now, and it's a big part of his endless pressure game. I thought about making it 300, but decided to nerf it in other ways instead. 150 frames is just two and a half seconds. A screen-clearing projectile that leads to full combos every two and a half seconds is absurd.

3) Really, getting combos off of a projectile from 2/3 away is ridiculous on a rushdown character. It should simply not happen. I actually thought about just returning Zero to Vanilla status, which would make him a lot more fair, but instead I decided to make the buster shot do 9 hits instead of 3 so that any combos you get off of it are minimal just like with a beam assist.

Hey, I said you could nerf it and I play him, ppl who don't really play him (I think) say keep it! WHAT THE FUCK? LOL.
Nerf restored.

Edit: Hey, now that I think about it, we should bring his health back down to Vanilla levels, too!

Dahbomb

Zero is not a pure rushdown character. Most of his toolset is very defensive in nature. He can only pressure you near the corner, otherwise his neutral game is a lot of standing back and shooting projectiles and spacing with normals and assists. Sogenmu amplifies his zoning. He also has mix ups he can throw out. Without a quicky ground dash or fast air mobility you can't go ham with rushdown as Zero. He's a hybrid character at best, like Dante I would say.

Returning Buster to Vanilla status means it gets hard knockdown, more shots in the air and floatier hit stun. That totally killed the pace of the game.

And Zero is not the only character to get combos off a long distance projectile.

Azure J

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";72037036]You can activate Oil Bomb with Flame Carpet! Or Purification!

Or Magnetic Blast! Or Wesker's Low Shot!

Raccoon is godlike![/QUOTE]

Gotta admit, the visual I get of Wesker lighting the puddle with Low Shot is badass. :lol

BTW, if you wanna fix Trish's air confirms, make her dive kick dash-cancelable. Her minimum air dash height makes it pretty useless against grounded opponents and her hitstun is so low it doesn't extend her combos, but it makes air confirms a lot easier and more flexible.

I've been testing it with cards on.

Frantic

Edit: Hey, now that I think about it, we should bring his health back down to Vanilla levels, too!
That's a good one. I hate that it's 830 instead of 800 or 850. So random.

And to go along with Dahbomb's point, I consider Zero one of the lamest characters in the game, and wouldn't call him a rushdown character at all. His rushdown is subpar as far as approach goes, and the only reason why he can rushdown is because his pressure game is ridiculous when he gets in. He's a zoner with conversions off all his zoning into 100% combos.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";72037636]BTW, if you wanna fix Trish's air confirms, make her dive kick dash-cancelable. Her minimum air dash height makes it pretty useless against grounded opponents and her hitstun is so low it doesn't extend her combos, but it makes air confirms a lot easier and more flexible.[/QUOTE]are you secretly trying to turn this into Marvel: Koryuu edition?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";72036021]Made it a little more concise, I think.

Zero:

Assists: Shippuga, Ryuenjin H, Hadangeki H[/quote]
Shippuga is a shit assist, though. Better to give Hadangeki two versions. I need strong arguments to ditch those Zero nerfs.

Storm:
*Storm can now airdash twice outside of flight mode
*Fair/Foul Wind active frames reduced to 20, total opposing character movement unchanged.
*Lightning Storm soft knockdown on all but the last hit.

Assists: Whirlwind H, Typhoon L, Lightning Sphere H.
We aren't getting rid of a tracking Typhoon assist. This game needs more good anti-airs. Typhoon L is pointless.

Magneto gets Fatal Attraction in 7 frames, and Repulsion in 12 frames. Why can't Storm get her Wind moves in 15?

Lightning Storm should do more damage to encourage using it over Ice Storm.

Rocket Raccoon:
*All traps last for 300 frames instead of 180
*jH replaced with his standing H animation
*Air Spitfire cancels into Rocket Skates
*Oil Bomb can be triggered by any projectile

Assists: Double Spitfire M, Pendulum, Oil Bomb
Why are we changing his animations?

Rocket Skates is already special cancelable. Your change makes him into a mini-Morrigan.

What projectiles would realistically trigger Oil Bomb in a match?

Agreed on traps lasting longer.

Dahbomb

Gotta admit, the visual I get of Wesker lighting the puddle with Low Shot is badass. :lol
DON'T LISTEN TO HIM.... HE HAS DIRTY SET UPS IN MIND! Chris can double his mine control. Zero can go for unblockables in corner with Jam Session (set out Balloon, use Jam Session to ignite). Lock someone in with Eye of Strange go for unblockable. Ghost Rider can activate it full screen with Shotgun fire then go for full screen unblockable!

For Zero all you need to decrease his pressure and Buster is increase charge time. Less Busters in a match directly correlates to less efficiency. Plus now he can't charge during his hypee freeze either.

DON'T LISTEN TO HIM.... HE HAS DIRTY SET UPS IN MIND! Chris can double his mine control. Zero can go for unblockables in corner with Jam Session (set out Balloon, use Jam Session to ignite). Lock someone in with Eye of Strange go for unblockable.

For Zero all you need to decrease his pressure and Buster is increase charge time. Less Busters in a match directly correlates to less efficiency. Plus now he can't charge during his hypee freeze either.
The buster shot also needs to lead to lower damage combos. Putting it on par with Plasma Beam damage decay is fair for how it works. I still think the hitbox is ridiculously huge. And I hate that it fucking auto-corrects even in the air.

This is why I am not doing the patch list on GFAQs:
If Ouroboros cost 1 bar, Astral would still be better.

Nerf Astral plz

A second genius:
If anything, just make it so she can't cancel specials with her unfly, that's all

Dahbomb

The buster shot also needs to lead to lower damage combos. Putting it on par with Plasma Beam damage decay is fair for how it works. I still think the hitbox is ridiculously huge. And I hate that it fucking auto-corrects even in the air.
Ok fine, 9 hits and more charge time. THAT'S IT! The hit box is large but it's exactly the size of the projectile so no cheap stuff going on there.

You know what.... give me God's Beards RR buffs. FUCK IT IS MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

LS already does more damage than Hailstorm though. If anything you can lower the damage on Hailstorm slightly just because of the immense utility it has.

Storm should have a fair wind and foul wind assist.
I thought about it, but she already has four great assist options I had to choose from.

Ok fine, 9 hits and more charge time. THAT'S IT! The hit box is large but it's exactly the size of the projectile so no cheap stuff going on there.

You know what.... give me God's Beards RR buffs. FUCK IT IS MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

LS already does more damage than Hailstorm though. If anything you can lower the damage on Hailstorm slightly just because of the immense utility it has.
Naw, I love Hailstorm punishes. I wouldn't nerf those for the world.

I still feel like the buster just comes out too fast for what it does:
1) 5 frame startup
2) Massive hitbox
3) Fastest travel time for a projectile in the game?
4) Get full combos off of it.

It's like a goddamn comboable Gimlet every 3 seconds.

Top Bottom