• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

Did we lock the Storm and Ghost Rider changes yet? It felt like we were pretty close. Would like to see them again.

The only thing I would change is please don't give her assist call at SJ height after a float. With an improved Typhoon and more full screen coverage assist going around, it's too powerful of a strat to let in the game. It's way too lame of a playstyle.. even for this game. Last thing we want is for Storm to turn into a character people hate... again.

Frantic

The buster shot is still really good. 10 frame startup for a projectile like that is really fast. I just don't think that Zero should be able to hold the charge and punish whatever he feels like into full combos. Give folks a little bit of breathing room. Otherwise I'd need a nerf to either it travel time or hitbox. Like I said, the thing is basically Gimlet plus full combos right now.
He still has to be within a certain range to punish fully, though. And like Dahbomb said, the Gimlet comparison isn't accurate at all. Zero has very particular Buster locations. Straight forward on the ground, 45 degree down in the air. If you watch where he is, you can guess when and where he'll throw out a Buster to either avoid it or block and pushblock it.

I dunno, I personally have no issues out maneuvering Buster. Jam Session assist is more irritating than Buster for me.

And Zero is supposed to be sword-focused. His buster always sucked in the games. :p
The problem is he doesn't have quite the mobility to be sword focused and tends to rely on his Buster to get anywhere.

...I feel like Biz at this point. Honestly, I never expected to be arguing against a Zero nerf. I mean I hate Zero.

IStorm:
*Lightning Sphere hitbox increased, recovery reduced significantly, chargeable for a larger hitbox/hitstun, H version now has slight tracking.
*Double Typhoon now reaches to superjump height.
*Double Typhoon startup reduced from 63 frames to 42 frames.
*Lightning Storm damage increased slightly; soft knockdown on all but the last hit.
*Flight startup reduced to 15 frames.
*Storm is now able to air dash twice after jumping, without Flight.
*Fair/Foul Wind active frames reduced to 15, total opposing character movement unchanged.
*Whirlwind startup time reduced by 5 (all versions).
*No longer mentioned T’Challa in her battle quotes.

Assists: Whirlwind H, Typhoon (Tracking), Lightning Sphere H.

I like these I think my changes to think about:

Lightning sphere OTGs (DP Tiger Knee would be tricky enough to make it a skill shot)
Lengthen DHC window on Lightning storm (allows for better DHCs to ground supers ala MvC2 Storm->Sent)
Can Dash/Flight Cancel 1st Lightning Attack.

Storm should be more fun than what she is.

Not gonna reply individually because I'm on mobile, but I REALLY like the oil idea. Everything else sounds fine too. No replacing jH though, if we're giving him his gun in the air it should be j.d+H.

I'd say combine Karst and GB's ideas except for the thing I mentioned, and buff his base damage. Personally though I find the air chain fix as a "neat" thing that I don't truly need and could trade it for something that could help him more. Also, to the bear trap buff I still say it needsthe ground bounce to be guaranteed the first time more than a start up decrease, but the latter also helps his pressure so that's nice. If there are changes available after that, I say that removing the "only one trap of each kind on screen" thing and making the only limit be 3 normal traps regardless of type with the fourth replacing the first could be an interesting thing. Oh, almost forgot about having all traps have an OTG activation, it makes no sense to have the only way to force them to activate the trap midcombo be restanding them with Spencer.

Dahbomb

Alright no need for the health nerf lmao.
The health nerf is irrelevant, he's just making it a round 800K number. Besides 20% health increase all around so he is closer to 1 million health.

Lightning sphere OTGs (DP Tiger Knee would be tricky enough to make it a skill shot)
Lengthen DHC window on Lightning storm (allows for better DHCs to ground supers ala MvC2 Storm->Sent)
The first one is sort of an unnecessary change because she already has a faster start up OTG Typhoon in our changes. I am not against it because that's just more ways for her to combo but it's a pointless change IMO.

The 2nd point we already have, LS now causes soft knockdown if canceled before the final hit. We know everyone wants that MVC2 style DHC so it would be in.

3rd change might be interesting but this is a system change on the character that won't happen mostly because if you make Lightning Attack fly cancellable then you have to make every special of her fly cancelable. That's obviously not a good idea so we can't let this change rock. I do however think that Lightning Attack in the neutral is sort of meh.

I'm happy with no Missile charge move for PW as long as his cr. H is a low in TA mode. As for the bad evidence in the game. I can live with it as long as it has more use. The stun properties provided by the bad evidence could be interesting in combos. I'm not looking for PW to be top tier, I just want him to be more useful then he is now.

• Interesting moves that activate Oil Bomb assist(get ready)
I was listing every single one, but it was taking too long.
Note: projectile nullifying moves like Dormammu's S nullify the puddle

Dr.Strange
Grace of Hoggoth M
Spell of Vishanti

Ghost Rider
Hellfire L
Judgement Strike

Hawkeye
Shock Value
Trick Maneuver L
Trick Maneuver H
Ragtime Shot L(FUCK YES)
Ragtime Shot M
Ragtime Shot H
*Kiss of Fire

Firebrand
Hell Spitfire H
*Dark Fire

Strider
Formation A1
Formation B
Formation C

Vergil
Rapid Slash

Deadpool
Ninja Gift

Doctor Doom
Hidden Missiles
Plasma Beam
Photon Shot
Sphere Flame

Dormammu
Flame Carpet
Purification
Liberation(all except Creation 3)

Iron Man
2H
Repulsor Blast H
Smart Bombs

Magneto
Magnetic Blast(aww yeah)

MODOK
M
2M

Phoenix
TK Shot explosion
TK Trap L(upon activation)

Sentinel
Sentinel Force H

Spider-Man
Web Ball(air)
Web Glide

Storm
Whirlwind

Akuma
Gou Hadoken

Amaterasu
Cold Star(jesus)

Arthur
Fire Bottle
Axe Toss

Chris
2H
j2H
6M
Grenade Toss
Air Magnum
Air Shotgun
Air SMG

C.Viper
Seismo
Burst Time(this could cause problems...)

Dante
Rain Storm
Acid Rain(mixup hell)
Weasel Shot(mixup hell)
Cold Shower
Crystal
Million Carats
Air Play
Drive
Twister
Jam Session
Thunder Bolt

Felicia
Sand Splash

Hsien-Ko
Henkyo-Ki

Morrigan
Soul Fist(air)
Soul Drain(air)

Trish
Hopscotch(upon activation)
Low Voltage(air)

Tron
Bandit Boulder
Servbot Launcher

Wesker
Low Shot
Air Gun Shot

Zero
Buster

Shuma
Mystic Stare(explosion)
Mystic Ray
Hyper Mystic Ray

Jill
Machine Gun Spray

Dahbomb

Storm's Typhoon and Lightning Sphere (angle down) should activate it too. Nemesis TK Rocket shot too.

Oh, almost forgot about having all traps have an OTG activation, it makes no sense to have the only way to force them to activate the trap midcombo be restanding them with Spencer.
Now this is a great fucking RR change. Put that shit in Karst!!!

Although I think the reason why they aren't like that in the game is to prevent infinites/loops. I would be careful about that change.

He still has to be within a certain range to punish fully, though. And like Dahbomb said, the Gimlet comparison isn't accurate at all. Zero has very particular Buster locations. Straight forward on the ground, 45 degree down in the air. If you watch where he is, you can guess when and where he'll throw out a Buster to either avoid it or block and pushblock it.

I dunno, I personally have no issues out maneuvering Buster. Jam Session assist is more irritating than Buster for me.

The problem is he doesn't have quite the mobility to be sword focused and tends to rely on his Buster to get anywhere.

...I feel like Biz at this point. Honestly, I never expected to be arguing against a Zero nerf. I mean I hate Zero.
I find that the Buster shot is almost impossible to dodge, but I'm letting that go.

He doesn't always need to combo off of the Buster. Soft knockdown + mix-ups is good enough for hitting someone from that far away.

I like these I think my changes to think about:

Storm should be more fun than what she is.
She has Double Typhoon for OTGs.
Canceling Lightning Storm on the penultimate hit is fine for DHCs.
Dash canceling Lightning Attack would let her get to superjump height for assist calls.

Not gonna reply individually because I'm on mobile, but I REALLY like the oil idea. Everything else sounds fine too. No replacing jH though, if we're giving him his gun in the air it should be j.d+H.

I'd say combine Karst and GB's ideas except for the thing I mentioned, and buff his base damage. Personally though I find the air chain fix as a "neat" thing that I don't truly need and could trade it for something that could help him more. Also, to the bear trap buff I still say it needsthe ground bounce to be guaranteed the first time more than a start up decrease, but the latter also helps his pressure so that's nice. If there are changes available after that, I say that removing the "only one trap of each kind on screen" thing and making the only limit be 3 normal traps regardless of type with the fourth replacing the first could be an interesting thing. Oh, almost forgot about having all traps have an OTG activation, it makes no sense to have the only way to force them to activate the trap midcombo be restanding them with Spencer.
That also means all of the traps hit OTG, though, and I don't think that's okay. RR would lose his unblockable resets, too, since Boulder Trap would go off during recovery instead of afterward.

I actually really like that Jean idea with the Healing Field/no chip.
For just Phoenix, or Dark Phoenix as well?

You mean the buster that was the ultimate weapon in one game and actually really great in at least another? And if we're gonna be game accurate then give him a double jump :v
Zero games emphasize his sword play over his gun. :p

Dahbomb

Those Storm changes are super acceptable. I approve them.

I need to see that Ghost Rider list.
Ghost Rider:
*Spirit of Vengeance now has hyper armor on frame 0.
*Spirit of Vengeance (H follow-up) now recovers faster, allowing for a follow-up combo.
*Chain-based normals now deal 15% chip damage.
*Heartless Spire vertical hitbox increased; jump-cancelable.
*Judgment Strike now reaches full-screen.
*Chain of Rebuttal vertical hitbox extended downward; now air OK.
*Forward dash distance increased by 50%; total active frames unchanged.
*Hellfire (all versions) are now +10 on block; startup reduced to 10 frames for all versions.
*dp.M and qcb.M hitboxes widened.
*c.M startup reduced to 9 frames; hitbox increased slightly and travels slightly farther.
*Heartless Spire assist startup changed to 34 frames, upper body invincible.

Assists: Judgment Strike, Chain of Rebuttal, Heartless Spire
Alright time to give this some seriously thought.

My first thought is... why Hyper armor on Bike why not just give it some big start up invincibility? Or like X-23's hyper have it invincible during it's active frames.

Also there was no mention of Hellfire Maelstrom hyper. I always thought that hyper was supposed to be like a last line of defense for Ghost Rider and he can use it to create space. Too bad it's -42 on block! I really want this hyper to have push back and be more safe on block, would really synergize with Ghost Rider's toolset.

One more thing... are we going to be allowed to cancel j.H into Chain of Rebuttal? That would really help out his aerial hit confirmations.

The main thing that Ghost Rider lacks is interesting stuff off his chain grabs. They aren't even real grabs so there isn't even a mix up involved. I feel like they can have more utility than what they have now.

Also I would not be opposed to double jump on Ghost Rider. In addition I think to make Ghost Rider really fucking good you would give him special cancelable Heartless Spire.. :p Full screen punish on someone trying to beam you by first using Spire to cancel out the projectile then cancel it into Chain of Rebuttal for combo.

Oh yeah, and @Solar: I think Bear Trap doesn't ground bounce sometimes because of the timing on the move. It's like Akuma's OTG kick. If you do it just a smidge too late, it whiffs part of the move. If you do it soon enough, it works. So I made the startup time a little faster so it ground bounces more consistently. I really think this is the source of the problem.

Those Storm changes are super acceptable. I approve them.

I need to see that Ghost Rider list.

Ghost Rider:
*Spirit of Vengeance now has hyper armor on frame 0; H follow-up recovers faster, allowing for a full combo.
*Chain-based normals now deal 15% chip damage.
*Heartless Spire vertical hitbox increased; jump-cancelable.
*Judgment Strike now reaches full-screen.
*Chain of Rebuttal vertical hitbox extended downward; now air OK.
*Forward dash distance increased by 50%; total active frames unchanged.
*Hellfire (all versions) are now +10 on block; startup reduced to 10 frames for all versions.
*Chain of Punishment and Hell’s Embrace hitboxes widened.
*c.M startup reduced to 9 frames; hitbox increased slightly and travels slightly farther.
*Heartless Spire assist startup changed to 34 frames, upper body invincible.

Assists: Judgment Strike, Chain of Rebuttal, Heartless Spire

I

She has Double Typhoon for OTGs.
Canceling Lightning Storm on the penultimate hit is fine for DHCs.
Dash canceling Lightning Attack would let her get to superjump height for assist calls.

For just Phoenix, or Dark Phoenix as well?

Yeah, but double typhoon is currently ass cheeks. and if they DON'T buff double typhoon like you guys suggested, I'd rather them put in Lightning sphere as and OTG. Phoenix's TN Shot is tricky to convert into combos too.

I meant dash/flight cancel Lightning attack on HIT/BLOCK, my bad. Not whiff cancel.

And yeah, I meant Healing Field nullifies chip for just Jean, to encourage more "not playing for Dark Phoenix" exclusive Jean play.

Although, current playstyles have XFactor3 for Dark Phoenix, so she doesn't normally deal with chip anyway, unless she runs out or already used it.

GGS bro. I'm not really a beginner I just can't seem to do much online lol. Mags is my best character and I just can't do his or Sents fly combos online xD.

You killed me though. Dem charging stars.

Ah, sorry about that! Didn't mean to sound like a dick, lol.

Yeah, your Magneto is really good, but I can see how online would definitely make it harder to do Mag combos online. And yeah, my Cap is my best character by far, though I feel like after watching some Nemo play I'm starting to slowly make my Nova a bit better.

Frantic

Bit random, but do characters have specific hard-knockdown timers after their j.S? Because I came up with a combo that allows Trish to j.S in a spot where she recovers near instantly to tag into Dante, but the opposing character recovers before he is able to OTG. On the flip side, it's brain dead easy to set up a raw tag between Magneto > Dante with j.S.

I find that the Buster shot is almost impossible to dodge, but I'm letting that go.
I have played so many good Zeros that I just instinctively know when, where and what they want to go for. It's embarrassing, but in recent memory I have lost more to Zeros who don't even know what Buster is than those that do, because I simply don't know wtf they are doing.

FSLink

Banned
Ah, sorry about that! Didn't mean to sound like a dick, lol.

Yeah, your Magneto is really good, but I can see how online would definitely make it harder to do Mag combos online. And yeah, my Cap is my best character by far, though I feel like after watching some Nemo play I'm starting to slowly make my Nova a bit better.

Up for some games right now?

Dahbomb

Penance Stare should do 2 million damage to any character who is a villain.

The Healing Field nullifying chip for Jean Grey is... interesting. Would make her a much more viable point character.

Zero:
*Soft knockdown on Raikousen removed; hitstun remains high.
*Minimum scaling on specials and normals reduced to 15%
*Hit stop during combos reduced for improved combo flow.
*Buster no longer hits multiple characters.
*Level 3 buster startup increased to 10, requires 180 charging frames
*Health reduced to 800,000.

Assists: Shippuga, Ryuenjin H, Hadangeki H

There, I think it's fine now. I don't want level 3 buster to be slower startup than a Hadoken, that's not right.

I think between the no soft knockdown and added scaling, I don't think Raikosen hitbox is a real problem.

Sensuizan is a move that LOOKS like it would drag through multiple characters, but buster doesn't.

Storm's Typhoon and Lightning Sphere (angle down) should activate it too. Nemesis TK Rocket shot too.
They do, I didn't think they were interesting. I skipped a lot of stuff.

withe the traps' ground/wallbounce.

@Karst: This is X Zero though and even then his Zero series buster is more similar to this game's than post X3 anyways :v

Also, the boulders already work that way, it's how the loop works in the first place.

Anyways, just checked, and boulder is the only one that otgs. Claymore activates but doesn't hit though.

Bleh it got cutoff and won't let me edit.

@Dahbomb: You could just limit the trap's capture properties to one a combo like withe the traps' ground/wallbounce.

Dahbomb

Yea Buster not causing double character pick up is a much better idea than Setsuizan not picking up 2 characters. Mostly because Zero would at least have the option of picking up 2 characters by burning X factor. And a Zero would is tempted to burn XF is a good deal in my book. This also means that you can't get happy birthday's by a Buster shot.

Gave my Ghost Rider impressions a few posts back.

kirblar

Penance Stare should do 2 million damage to any character who is a villain.

The Healing Field nullifying chip for Jean Grey is... interesting. Would make her a much more viable point character.
I really like it, in that I'd like to see her move XF3 non-Dark Jean move from "get them in the infinite!" to "Well, crap, I gotta use those bars now!"

Bit random, but do characters have specific hard-knockdown timers after their j.S? Because I came up with a combo that allows Trish to j.S in a spot where she recovers near instantly to tag into Dante, but the opposing character recovers before he is able to OTG. On the flip side, it's brain dead easy to set up a raw tag between Magneto > Dante with j.S.

I have played so many good Zeros that I just instinctively know when, where and what they want to go for. It's embarrassing, but in recent memory I have lost more to Zeros who don't even know what Buster is than those that do, because I simply don't know wtf they are doing.
I think all knockdown times are the same, but some moves do a little bounce before they technically go into hard knockdown, which gives you more time to OTG.

Normal Jean. DP has no use for it since she's always using XF anyways.
Normal Jean has no use for it because she wants Dark Phoenix. :p

withe the traps' ground/wallbounce.

@Karst: This is X Zero though and even then his Zero series buster is more similar to this game's than post X3 anyways :v

Also, the boulders already work that way, it's how the loop works in the first place.

Anyways, just checked, and boulder is the only one that otgs. Claymore activates but doesn't hit though.
K, I'll make the change then.

My first thought is... why Hyper armor on Bike why not just give it some big start up invincibility? Or like X-23's hyper have it invincible during it's active frames.
It's not invincible because then it would just be Bionic Lancer, and there's no reason for him to be invincible. He just got on a motorcycle. Thematically, it's cooler to think that his motorcycle just can't be stopped. When you DHC Ghost Rider in, it won't matter most of the time anyway.

As a point character, it's necessary for him to have the armor on frame 1 because Ghost Rider needs his assists but can't protect him. He's very vulnerable to his assists getting beamed. This is a counter that can work but requires thought from the Ghost Rider player.

Also there was no mention of Hellfire Maelstrom hyper. I always thought that hyper was supposed to be like a last line of defense for Ghost Rider and he can use it to create space. Too bad it's -42 on block! I really want this hyper to have push back and be more safe on block, would really synergize with Ghost Rider's toolset.
I like this idea; incorporated.

One more thing... are we going to be allowed to cancel j.H into Chain of Rebuttal? That would really help out his aerial hit confirmations.
Yes.

The main thing that Ghost Rider lacks is interesting stuff off his chain grabs. They aren't even real grabs so there isn't even a mix up involved. I feel like they can have more utility than what they have now.
Heartless Spire OTG capable to combo off of them.

Also I would not be opposed to double jump on Ghost Rider. In addition I think to make Ghost Rider really fucking good you would give him special cancelable Heartless Spire.. :p Full screen punish on someone trying to beam you by first using Spire to cancel out the projectile then cancel it into Chain of Rebuttal for combo.
I think he's really good now. Never underestimate the power of increasing dash speed on a character like this.

Dahbomb

I don't think you really should be nerfing character's double OTG picking ups anyway. I mean Zero is not the only one, it just sets a bad standard that we have to keep going forward.

Like do we now make Storm's Typhoon also not pick up two characters? What about Ghost Rider happy birthdaying you from full screen away with his chains into a full combo? Or Dorm's Purification? Pretty much all of Hulk's combos are unaffected by birthdays, should we nerf him too? What about Haggar's numerous drop kicks?

It's a bad slippery slope. This could've been a valid argument had Zero been unchanged but he is now quite a different character with far less damage output in a game that already has more health all around.

Heartless Spire OTG capable to combo off of them.
Oh damn I forgot about the jump cancel property. That definitely improves his solo game, no need to use an assist just to combo off of grabs.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";72055491]Champ brought up an interesting system change idea, reducing meter gain during happy birthdays.[/QUOTE]
Phenomenal idea. Is he on FGTV now?

BRB guys.

If these are final Zero changes, I will let the Sentsuizan nerf go. I still think it should be there, because Zero is one of the most happy birthday prone characters. That's the difference between him and, say, Hulk.

Zero:
*Soft knockdown on Raikousen removed; minimum hitstun remains high.
*Minimum scaling on specials and normals reduced to 15%
*Raikousen canceled by Buster no longer creates a hitbox.
*Hit stop on multi-hit moves reduced for improved combo flow.
*Level 3 buster startup increased to 10, requires 180 charging frames, hits 9 times; projectile is now 9x1 durability.
*Health reduced to 800,000.

Assists: Shippuga, Ryuenjin H, Hadangeki H

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";72055491]Champ brought up an interesting system change idea, reducing meter gain during happy birthdays.[/QUOTE]
But why?

Dahbomb

Champ says that Zero should have more recovery on his Sogenmu. Right now it's at a whole 1 frame recovery.... lol

They are basically watching the Justin vs Flocker match while thinking about patch stuff.

As much as I think Zero is nerfed enough.... Sogenmu having 1 frame recovery is like kinda ridiculous.

Champ says that Zero should have more recovery on his Sogenmu. Right now it's at a whole 1 frame recovery.... lol

They are basically watching the Justin vs Flocker match while thinking about patch stuff.

As much as I think Zero is nerfed enough.... Sogenmu having 1 frame recovery is like kinda ridiculous.
It's 10+1 with 1 recovery, so 2 frames of recovery, really. We could increase it to 1 frame of recovery like Devil Trigger. I plan on buffing Ryu's utility hyper to 0+4 like the Devil Trigger hypers are. No reason to have any of these significantly better than any other.

If you happy birthday two characters, you're left with an abundance of meter in which to take out the third. It also assists in finishing/sustaining the birthday.
Sounds good to me.

Dahbomb

If you happy birthday two characters, you're left with an abundance of meter in which to take out the third. It also assists in finishing/sustaining the birthday.
This. If you were low on meter, a happy birthday ensures you get all the meter you need to not only kill the two characters but have some in stocked for the last.

Ryu's hyper just sucks ass anyway. Lock those Zero changes and I am fine with Ghost Rider changes. I think chip on whips is big enough alone to make him a stronger character.

kirblar

This. If you were low on meter, a happy birthday ensures you get all the meter you need to not only kill the two characters but have some in stocked for the last.

Ryu's hyper just sucks ass anyway. Lock those Zero changes and I am fine with Ghost Rider changes. I think chip on whips is big enough alone to make him a stronger character.
They're totally right about GR never being "upper/top" tier due to his design, but that's ok. Just making him situationally viable as a counterpick is probably good enough.

Oh yeah, and @Solar: I think Bear Trap doesn't ground bounce sometimes because of the timing on the move. It's like Akuma's OTG kick. If you do it just a smidge too late, it whiffs part of the move. If you do it soon enough, it works. So I made the startup time a little faster so it ground bounces more consistent.

That is the exact issue, but it makes no sense for it to be an issue in the firs place, it's not like it's hitting any differently. I'll take the faster start up though, helps with his ground pressure.

They're totally right about GR never being "upper/top" tier due to his design, but that's ok. Just making him situationally viable as a counterpick is probably good enough.
Nah. With our changes, Ghost Rider is basically a ground-based Morrigan. All about locking people down and taking them down slowly. I'm confident that he'd see a good amount of top 8 play.

Top Bottom