• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

They're totally right about GR never being "upper/top" tier due to his design, but that's ok. Just making him situationally viable as a counterpick is probably good enough.
Unfortunately this is true. As much as I like Ghost Rider as a character, he is dry as fuck and if he was top tier we would never hear the end of it. At least Morrigan is hard to play... This version of Ghost Rider would still lose to teleporters but would really demolish characters who he was already strong against.

Nah. With our changes, Ghost Rider is basically a ground-based Morrigan. All about locking people down and taking them down slowly. I'm confident that he'd see a good amount of top 8 play.

You gotta worry about the characters he already shuts down though.

Wesker usually has to resort to shooting him with the samurai, for example.

Unfortunately this is true. As much as I like Ghost Rider as a character, he is dry as fuck and if he was top tier we would never hear the end of it. At least Morrigan is hard to play... This version of Ghost Rider would still lose to teleporters but would really demolish characters who he was already strong against.
Most of our changes don't really affect his neutral, though. He's just a little more consistent and better at what he does.

With the new Dormammu assists I plan on, they might go together well. It's actually interesting to think that Ghost Rider could provide the backup needed for Dormammu to charge 3D0C as an assist character. ;-)

You mean that Ghost Rider is so free to Wesker that he can troll with shots all day.

kirblar

Most of our changes don't really affect his neutral, though. He's just a little more consistent and better at what he does.

With the new Dormammu assists I plan on, they might go together well. It's actually interesting to think that Ghost Rider could provide the backup needed for Dormammu to charge 3D0C as an assist character. ;-)
His assists seems pretty damn perfect (aside from Purification needing start-up.)

Dahbomb

He doesn't "resort" to it, he does it because Ghost Rider cant do shit about it without an AA assist. Its why I quit the character to begin with. Having chip on whips and air OK Chain of Rebuttal means Wesker now has to get in or he will lose the battle of attrition... as it should've been because Wesker zoning out a dedicated zoner is dumb as hell anyway.

Besides Wesker is going to have an invincible counter to beat Ghost Rider now. The match up would be much more intelligent now.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm not pushing for more nerfs, I'm defending the state we agreed upon. -_-

I'm relatively happy with our Zero changes as-is:

Zero:
*Soft knockdown on Raikousen removed; hitstun remains high.
*Minimum scaling on specials and normals reduced to 15%
*Raikousen canceled by Buster no longer creates a hitbox.
*Hit stop on multi-hit moves reduced for improved combo flow.
*Sentsuizan no longer hits multiple characters.
*Level 3 buster startup increased to 10, requires 180 charging frames, hits 9 times; projectile is now 9x1 durability.
*Health reduced to 800,000.

Assists: Shippuga, Ryuenjin H, Hadangeki H

If Zissou and GB sign on to that, I say we are done with Zero. I could agree to a 5 frame startup on the buster if it takes 300 frames to charge, but I think it's probably better for Zero that we leave it like this.
Seeing the proposed list here as a Zero main is pretty interesting. I definitely agree with the 2nd, 4th, and 5th points. I remember thinking that only Raikousen outside of sougenmu should have soft knockdown, but the 1st point is a pretty good idea too. I sort of disagree with point 3 though. With the nerfs, I don't think removing the hitbox after a buster cancel is necessary, but that's just imo. Health nerf, I do agree with if things like Hidden Missiles get nerfed. Zero against a Deadpool backed up with good assists is a pain to bulldog in. :(

Oh, also, they need to remove Raikousen crossing up in the corner. It didn't do that in Vanilla, and I disagree with it being in Ultimate.

His assists seems pretty damn perfect (aside from Purification needing start-up.)
What? Dormammu has really mediocre assists. I completely revamped them.

Seeing the proposed list here as a Zero main is pretty interesting. I definitely agree with the 2nd, 4th, and 5th points. I remember thinking that only Raikousen outside of sougenmu should have soft knockdown, but the 1st point is a pretty good idea too. I sort of disagree with point 3 though. With the nerfs, I don't think removing the hitbox after a buster cancel is necessary, but that's just imo. Health nerf, I do agree with if things like Hidden Missiles get nerfed. Zero against a Deadpool backed up with good assists is a pain to bulldog in. :(

Oh, also, they need to remove Raikousen crossing up in the corner. It didn't do that in Vanilla, and I disagree with it being in Ultimate.
You agree with Zero not being able to OTG two characters? *glares at Dahbomb, GB, and Frantic*

The problem with Raikousen x Buster is that it basically locks off the entire screen. He can also do it without the charged buster, so it's like free lightning all over the screen whenever.

Are you sure Raikousen didn't cross up in corners in Vanilla?

Dahbomb

You guys do realize that the Lightning persisting after the Buster cancel is a bug right? 110% that shit gets removed in a patch. If it was an intended feature, the Lightning would have projectile durability points like Vergil. As it is you can't counter it with anything in the game in terms of physical or projectile. Its just a linear invincible hit box with no real properties to it aside from causing soft knockdown.

Dark Hole and Liberation see consistent play. (And liberation is the perfect type of "open ended customization" that draws people into the team building aspect of the game.)
Dark Hole and Liberation see consistently play because you have to pick an assist for him, lol. They're both very bad. I improved Liberation to be Dark Spell L, and Dark Hole was removed for Dark Matter.

You guys do realize that the Lightning persisting after the Buster cancel is a bug right? 110% that shit gets removed in a patch. If it was an intended feature, the Lightning would have projectile durability points like Vergil. As it is you can't counter it with anything in the game in terms of physical or projectile. Its just a linear invincible hit box with no real properties to it aside from causing soft knockdown.
So? Lots of moves are like that. Skrull's dhalism normals, Vergils H.

Dahbomb

Dark Hole and Liberation see consistent play. (And liberation is the perfect type of "open ended customization" that draws people into the team building aspect of the game.)
They see consistent play because the character is used in high level play. That's like saying Nova's Centurion Arts assist sees consistent usage.... right because among his mediocre assists it's the only usable one.

Dorm has mediocre assists and Liberation is a gimmick at best.

sephi22

Okay. I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I want a Shuma team too. I sometimes play Shuma in my Spidey/Doom shell, but I want a Shuma team which has synergy with Shuma, but not necessarily centred around Shuma.

Any ideas? I will hit the SRK forums too. I think Karst played Shuma for some time. Any suggestions are welcome.

What if Nitsuma saw this thread?
Ghost Rider wins EVO 2014 confirmed

kirblar

They see consistent play because the character is used in high level play. That's like saying Nova's Centurion Arts assist sees consistent usage.... right because among his mediocre assists it's the only usage one.
Yeah, but they're not bad assists. Liberation is a very cool and unique one, due to its mutative properties, and Dark Hole's used as a lockdown assist to create set ups. Purification's the one you never see, due to its massive start up time making it useless as an OTG (unless I'm misremembering completely.) It's the one of the 3 I'd want to mess around with.

Liberation is a gimmick at best.
There's a certain type of player who it's going to appeal to. I don't want to take it from them.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";72059116]I just mean there's no hurtbox.[/QUOTE]
That's not what I am talking about. That move has no classification and is not counterable by anything in the game. If Capcom wanted it to be a zoning tool it would have projectile durability. Its obviously a big over sight in the design of the character.

You mean that Ghost Rider is so free to Wesker that he can troll with shots all day.

He doesn't "resort" to it, he does it because Ghost Rider cant do shit about it without an AA assist. Its why I quit the character to begin with. Having chip on whips and air OK Chain of Rebuttal means Wesker now has to get in or he will lose the battle of attrition... as it should've been because Wesker zoning out a dedicated zoner is dumb as hell anyway.

Besides Wesker is going to have an invincible counter to beat Ghost Rider now. The match up would be much more intelligent now.

Yeah, it's pretty much all Wesker can do... and it beats GR. (Then again, so does EVERYBODY)

Although I don't think seen a "serious" GR without Hidden Missles ever... so that makes it a bit harder.... Either take the missles and stay up there or block and have to come down.

But yeah, buffing the Hellfire storm super (the Thor looking one), so it can be used as a relatively safe (not totally) anti teleport panic button would be good.

Dorm has mediocre assists and Liberation is a gimmick at best.

Mediocre? Yeah. But liberation is usable as a OTG combo extender after something like Wesker gunshot, Haggar dropkick, etc.

Inferno (ground volcano 2C1R I think??) as an assist can single handedly win games, though... esp if you have someone who can pick up and do a damaging combo for awhile after it like Doom, Spencer, or Zero. Viper sorta counts...

That's not what I am talking about. That move has no classification and is not counterable by anything in the game. If Capcom wanted it to be a zoning tool it would have projectile durability. Its obviously a big over sight in the design of the character.

You're wrong. I just countered it with Wesker's projectile counter.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";72059406]You're wrong. I just countered it with Wesker's projectile counter.[/QUOTE]
You did? I CALL SHENANIGANS!

So now this move has infinite projectile durability? What a mess of a move.

Okay. I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I want a Shuma team too. I sometimes play Shuma in my Spidey/Doom shell, but I want a Shuma team which has synergy with Shuma, but not necessarily centred around Shuma.

Any ideas? I will hit the SRK forums too. I think Karst played Shuma for some time. Any suggestions are welcome.

Ghost Rider wins EVO 2014 confirmed
Taskmaster, Rocket Raccoon, and Dr. Strange are Shuma-Gorath's best mutually helpful partners.

Rhapsody

Banned
You agree with Zero not being able to OTG two characters? *glares at Dahbomb, GB, and Frantic*

The problem with Raikousen x Buster is that it basically locks off the entire screen. He can also do it without the charged buster, so it's like free lightning all over the screen whenever.

Are you sure Raikousen didn't cross up in corners in Vanilla?

Well, now you're making me iffy if Sentsuizan should or shouldn't now lol.

Raikousen x Buster was pretty interesting for Zero. And I swear they tried to balance it with the added recovery on Hienkyaku but it wasn't enough (same with not being able to buster cancel an TKed M Raikousen iirc). Either way, I feel like it's fine as it is with the proposed ideas for Zero nerfs. He won't be able convert off of it from full screen like usual (well, he can, but he has to not cancel too early). As a pressure tool, it's mostly good if he has assists with him. Without it, I feel like his safest option is to air block if they didn't pushblock him (Buster into L Raikousen isn't safe and I'm pretty sure L Hienkyaku isn't either if they're too close).

And yeah, I'm like 90 percent sure L Raikousen couldn't cross up in the corner in Vanilla. If it did, it's tons easier to have it happen in Ultimate.

Dahbomb

Angelic said that Shuma's best point team is like Strange/Ammy duo.

And yea Raikousen didn't cross up in corners in Vanilla. That was even listed in the changelog for the character. Like I said before, Zero basically got reworked going from Vanilla to Ultimate.

Dahbomb

Doesn't Udaterasu play Firebrand? Or am I thinking of someone else?

NVM. Yea Strange players have said since a long time ago that Strange plus Ammy is legit.

Wanna see the reciepts?

counter5tzht.gif

You did? I CALL SHENANIGANS!

So now this move has infinite projectile durability? What a mess of a move.

Hawkeye's piercing shot has infinite low durability.

I just want to thank Karst for getting me killed by trying to beat Strider's teleport with Joe's air S. Thanks for nothing.
LOL. You have to practice! :p

Well, now you're making me iffy if Sentsuizan should or shouldn't now lol.
I'm indifferent at this point. :p

Raikousen x Buster was pretty interesting for Zero. And I swear they tried to balance it with the added recovery on Hienkyaku but it wasn't enough (same with not being able to buster cancel an TKed M Raikousen iirc). Either way, I feel like it's fine as it is with the proposed ideas for Zero nerfs. He won't be able convert off of it from full screen like usual (well, he can, but he has to not cancel too early). As a pressure tool, it's mostly good if he has assists with him. Without it, I feel like his safest option is to air block if they didn't pushblock him (Buster into L Raikousen isn't safe and I'm pretty sure L Hienkyaku isn't either if they're too close).
It's just too strong of an anti-air tool. Being able to fire lightning across the screen without any frame committal is not healthy, I say!

And yeah, I'm like 90 percent sure L Raikousen couldn't cross up in the corner in Vanilla. If it did, it's tons easier to have it happen in Ultimate.
News to me.

Angelic said that Shuma's best point team is like Strange/Ammy duo.

And yea Raikousen didn't cross up in corners. That was even listed in the changelog for the character. Like I said before, Zero basically got reworked going from Vanilla to Ultimate.
Angelic said that because the only person who uses Shuma-Gorath on point and doesn't suck uses that team. It's a great team, but I think "best" is a bit strong when the sample size is 1.

Dahbomb

Well I stand correctly then. Still its an unintended feature of ths character. I have to believe that Capcom did not intend this to hapoen and it was an oversight. Otherwise Nitsuma to be voted for best developer of all time.

Time to go to bed. Today has been a super intensive theory patch talk day. Tomorrow I might not be on as much because have to work.

What about a third assist? Do you think L+S would be worth using?

No, I would keep Press the Witness over it.

And please don't leave bad evidence alone. None of the other buffs will mean anything until we can fix this fundamental flaw.

Damage reduced overall by 20% (on top of any damage nerfs)

Bad idea. Damage reduction should be done by a character-by-character basis.

Phoenix Wright- Turnabout assists back?
Make bad evidence toss better?
Increase Order in the Court DHC window

I can't really agree with any of these.

-Invincible Turnabout Mode assists, as much as I miss them, are simply too broken.
-I don't agree with bad evidence existing in the first place lol.
-Increasing the DHC window for Order in the Court is pointless because Wright can already easily DHC into anyone he wants.

No, I would keep Press the Witness over it.

And please don't leave bad evidence alone. None of the other buffs will mean anything until we can fix this fundamental flaw.

Bad idea. Damage reduction should be done by a character-by-character basis.

I can't really agree with any of these.

-Invincible Turnabout Mode assists, as much as I miss them, are simply too broken.
-I don't agree with bad evidence existing in the first place lol.
-Increasing the DHC window for Order in the Court is pointless because Wright can already easily DHC into anyone he wants.

Everything in the game does too much damage. Most characters can be killed in 2 meters (which are easily built mid combo) by half the cast. 3 is guarunteed death. An across the board reduction is needed and most people agree.

Invincible Turnabout assists almost made him worth using, lol.

Bad evidence is 100% essential given the nature of his design and faithfulness to the source material. It's also probably why this character can never be good. He simply has both 3 things are are awful to balance in fighters

=Kind of a joke character (he's obviously here for comedy)
= pure luck based specials (this never, never works in competitive play)
= a design where the character starts shitty and if X conditions are met, becomes GDLK (ala Phoenix and Frank)

Give him some small buffs, make turnabout slightly less brain dead, call it a day. The design itself strongly indicates this character can't be good.

I have some hilarious Haggar changes planned.

Press the Witness question: the guide says that the M version hits 5 times, and the H version hits 7 times, but both have the same number of active frames. Do they cause the same amount of pin?

Solune

Finally got T-2000 Wesker color!! And while training realized that Wesker's L Mustang Kick causes untechable knockdown like Dante's Grapple. (sorry if old)

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm indifferent at this point. :p

It's just too strong of an anti-air tool. Being able to fire lightning across the screen without any frame committal is not healthy, I say!
Well now I want sentsuizan to stay as it is, haha.

As for the lightning change, I felt like it was fair to keep the hitbox because you can't convert off of H Raikousen easily without the soft knockdown. But I do admit that the option of the lightning is pretty good though... The longer buster charge time does kind of make up for it at least.
= a design where the character starts shitty and if X conditions are met, becomes GDLK (ala Phoenix and Frank)

Give him some small buffs, make turnabout slightly less brain dead, call it a day. The design itself strongly indicates this character can't be good.
I think PW's Turnabout mode is fine considering how impractical it feels to set it up, and even then, it's hard to open people up since it's difficult if they're up-backing.

I know PW's a joke character and all, but I feel like they need to at least buff some of his normals and mobility. It's just all so awful as it is lol

Edit: Also it'd be helpful if the invisible dizzy meter didn't go down as fast.

Everything in the game does too much damage. Most characters can be killed in 2 meters (which are easily built mid combo) by half the cast. 3 is guarunteed death. An across the board reduction is needed and most people agree.

The problem here is that while you're nerfing the characters who do high damage, you are also nerfing the characters that do low damage. Ghost Rider and Hsien-Ko don't do enough damage as it is and you want to nerf their damage output even more?

I'm not saying that some characters shouldn't have their damage nerfed, but it should not be blanketed across the whole cast.

Invincible Turnabout assists almost made him worth using, lol.

In his current form, this is true. Which is why we are buffing him with other things so he would be more worth using outside of Turnabout Mode. The proposed list of changes we have only has one (admittedly substantial) buff to Turnabout Mode, with most of the buffs going into Trial Mode.

Bad evidence is 100% essential given the nature of his design and faithfulness to the source material. It's also probably why this character can never be good. He simply has both 3 things are are awful to balance in fighters

=Kind of a joke character (he's obviously here for comedy)
= pure luck based specials (this never, never works in competitive play)

Bad evidence pretty much contradicts the source material. Not a single piece of evidence in any of his games goes unused. There is no "bad evidence" in the world of Ace Attorney, which is why I'm baffled as to why Capcom included such an awful mechanic. As for your points:

-He's not a joke character, he's a comedic character. They would not give a joke character Turnabout Mode and a great set of specials and hypers. I really don't understand why some people say this.
-Luck-based specials? What are you talking about? Besides the trajectory of his Folder and Cell Phone projectiles, he has nothing luck-based about his specials. Well, unless you are talking about evidence gathering, which is why we're trying to make it have as little an impact as possible, and thus my proposal for getting rid of bad evidence.
-And both of those characters are around the high-mid tier area, possibly even high-tier. Who's to say that Wright can't join them?

I disagree here. It's actually very possible to buff him too much and make him totally broken. I would definitely not disregard a character's design like that.

Small buffs are definitely not what a character everyone considers to be bottom 5 needs. Small buffs are what Hsien-Ko got going into Ultimate and she's still awful.

The problem here is that while you're nerfing the characters who do high damage, you are also nerfing the characters that do low damage. Ghost Rider and Hsien-Ko don't do enough damage as it is and you want to nerf their damage output even more?
The goal is to nerf damage across the board and tinker with high damage characters to tone them down. Ghost Rider's damage will be normal. Hsien-ko is such a mix-up and pressure monster with my not-yet-released changes that you will be glad her damage is low.

smurfx

get some go again
can we get rid of the fake dhc trick spin some characters get after a dhc? it looks stupid and shouldn't be in the game.

FSLink

Banned
Bad evidence pretty much contradicts the source material. Not a single piece of evidence in any of his games goes unused. There is no "bad evidence" in the world of Ace Attorney, which is why I'm baffled as to why Capcom included such an awful mechanic. As for your points:
Presenting the evidence at the wrong time though is there. Being able to "present" it in Trial mode shows that it's definitely mimicing that.

RocBase

RE: Wright bad evidence debate, why can't both options be added to the list but as an "either/or" (eg: - Remove bad evidence OR make bad evidence pulls less frequent etc). I mean this is for Capcom to see right? Why not just present both options then for them to have? Maybe adding what is wanted out of the evidence mechanic since I think everyone agrees with that bit at least will also help paint the picture of how it should be balanced, should they do anything other than what was presented on the list.

Top Bottom