• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

RE: Wright bad evidence debate, why can't both options be added to the list but as an "either/or" (eg: - Remove bad evidence OR make bad evidence pulls less frequent etc). I mean this is for Capcom to see right? Why not just present both options then for them to have? Maybe adding what is wanted out of the evidence mechanic since I think everyone agrees with that bit at least will also help paint the picture of how it should be balanced, should they do anything other than what was presented on the list.
Because we want to figure out how to make the game good, not just offer suggestions.

kirblar

I will tweet them to everyone at Calvin and Marvel, post them on the CU boards, post it on GFAQs, post it on eventhubs, post it on SRK, etc.

And we already did She-Hulk.
Very curious where you came down on the c.L change for her, because I felt it was in line with her being a grappler character.

Dahbomb

Slept on it, woke up... still think Zero not picking up 2 characters from his only OTG special move is a bad idea.

Keeping that standard for other characters would hurt many characters like Sentinel, Hulk, Haggar, Captain America, She Hulk, Vergil, X23, Iron Man.

The original problem with Zero was that he could take 2 characters into a Lightning Loop, that's not going to be a problem anymore. We already nerfed his BnB, no need to nerf his character pick ups. If his damage is low he would still have to XF to kill both characters.

And honestly only 2 people think this is a good idea, most other people think it's a bad idea and going a bit over board.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
All otg's should be able to multi hit, ones that only hit one character fuck over characters so god damn bad it's not even funny. Congrats you hit them and the assist! Your reward is a shitty shorter version of your combo instead of doing full damage

Dahbomb

All otg's should be able to multi hit, ones that only hit one character fuck over characters so god damn bad it's not even funny. Congrats you hit them and the assist! Your reward is a shitty shorter version of your combo instead of doing full damage
I would be against Zero picking up 2 characters if he was the only one, he's not. It's way more pervasive with characters like Hulk and Sentinel who not only have huge normals but they have aerial bounces which makes it easier for them confirm 2 characters. Imagine removing 2 character pick up from RP and Gamma Wave.... would not only kill their point game but the assists as well.

Another problem with Zero was that he got many 2 hits with Buster but we nerfed that too. He will have less opportunities in matches to get 2 characters. Increasing the charge time on Buster is a big deal for Zero it affects numerous portions of his game play.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I would be against Zero picking up 2 characters if he was the only one, he's not. It's way more pervasive with characters like Hulk and Sentinel who not only have huge normals but they have aerial bounces which makes it easier for them confirm 2 characters. Imagine removing 2 character pick up from RP and Gamma Wave.... would not only kill their point game but the assists as well.

Another problem with Zero was that he got many 2 hits with Buster but we nerfed that too. He will have less opportunities in matches to get 2 characters. Increasing the charge time on Buster is a big deal for Zero it affects numerous portions of his game play.

Why not just let his uppercut OTG and remove the OTG from the Buster? *shrug*

Not being able to pick up an assist even though you can pick up the point character sounds selective and bad. Doesn't matter if you are rock bottom or top tier.

Dahbomb

Why not just let his uppercut OTG and remove the OTG from the Buster? *shrug*
That makes no sense.... unless that was the point. If you are talking about allowing Setsuizan to pick 2 characters but not Buster then that might be even worse for the character as now the Buster loses its piercing capability. So assist characters can block for the point character, nullifying Buster completely.

Dahbomb

Anyone have a list of OTG moves that don't pick up two characters? I know of the main one Wesker but that's more because it's a projectile without piercing capability. So basically I am looking for physical OTG moves that may not OTG 2 characters.

Anyone have a list of OTG moves that don't pick up two characters? I know of the main one Wesker but that's more because it's a projectile without piercing capability. So basically I am looking for physical OTG moves that may not OTG 2 characters.
Chireitou

Not a normal or special. I hate that the second character drops.

Update your guides:

I've been doing some testing, Rocket Raccoon's Bear Trap is a 1 medium durability point projectile.

• It activates Wesker's Projectile counter and gets negated by Dormammu's normals.
  • It negates all low durabilty projectiles during its active frames through Hawkeye's Piercing Shot.(infinite low durability)
  • It trades with MODOK's Balloon Bomb(1 medium durability). If I throw out Balloon Bomb and dash next to it, Bear Trap destroys the Balloon Bomb but doesn't hit MODOK.

Thus, we know the type of move and its exact durability.

Bizazedo

Zero Changes said:
Zero:
*Soft knockdown on Raikousen removed; hitstun remains high.
*Minimum scaling on specials and normals reduced to 15%
*Raikousen canceled by Buster no longer creates a hitbox.
*Hit stop on multi-hit moves reduced for improved combo flow.
*Sentsuizan no longer hits multiple characters.
*Level 3 buster startup increased to 10, requires 180 charging frames, hits 9 times; projectile is now 9x1 durability.
*Health reduced to 800,000.

Seems interesting..

So, Biz recapping....

Raikousen becomes a combo ender or at least requiring a re-launch. The move becomes totally useless except against people on the ground where it has notable shortcomings already or as a way to travel across the screen quickly.

Any hit in the air while not as part of a combo is essentially a quick hit that knocks down. Zero would not be able to follow up on this hit without expending a level 3 Buster because he just falls helplessly otherwise, allowing no quick follow up. Obviously this removes his Buster for at least 3 seconds which doesn't matter too much in this scenario since he still has to get an additional hit for combo or get an OTG.

Assuming Zero didn't superjump, he could call an assist at this point to try and continue a combo. Most likely something like release Buster 3, Sentsuizan or "teleport" down, call assist, continue combo. Maybe.

Buster does 9 hits and takes longer to charge. With how much power it has, a reasonable suggestion on its own admittedly.

Ignoring health reduction (not a bad suggestion, especially if missiles are reduced) and Sentsuizan not hitting two people (doesn't make sense to me, but w/e), the question that should be answered before you call it done is to see how much of a damage reduction this means for Zero due to all changes combined.

It doesn't seem like that this is too bad overall, actually, now that I've typed it out and thought about it as I did so haha...but damage should still be considered. Essentially you'd also replace Raikousen with down teleports after Buster in his combos normally.

Frantic

Doom's OTGs can pick up two characters, it's just that his Foot Dive only hits one so you rarely see him convert from them.

OTGs that only pick up one character(to my knowledge):

Dante:
Rainstorm
Cold Shower(little note: this one can pick up two characters, but they have to be in the exact same spot. If they're in different spots, only one character gets picked up... for whatever reason)
Million Carats(This one has its hitbox disappear once it hits a character)
Acid Rain(will hit both if they're in different spots. If they're in the same spot, only one gets hit)

Spider-Man:
Web Glide

Chris:
f.M
cr.H
Machine Gun fire
Shotgun

Wesker:
Low Shot

Strider:
Formation B
Legion(yes, it only hits one character in some situations. >_>)

Chun-Li:
Her stomp

Arthur:
Fire Bottle(normal and gold)

Hawkeye:
Poison Tip
Freeze Shot

Firebrand:
Hell Spitfire H

Iron-Man:
Smart Bomb L(but not M or H)

Taskmaster:
His air arrows

Dr. Strange:
Grace of Hoggoth M(all three levels) explosion

Rocket Raccoon:
Spitfire L

I think that's about it. I might be forgetting some, and you're free to point it out.

Dahbomb

Raikousen would still be effective for corner mix ups, just wouldn't be completely stupid.

At max scaling Zero would do half damage of what he does now, not including the damage from assists and his lvl1/lvl3 hypers. So whatever damage a single Lightning Loop does, just half it.

My estimation is that without assists he would be able to do 400-500K meterless, with assists he should still be able to do 600K meterless off of clean hits. A single lightning loop on average does 425K damage (from what I have seen from various videos) that means that now it will do 210K damage at max scaling if he was still allowed to do LL. That's still higher than what his regular hyper does at max scaling, meaning the value is extremely fair.

At XF1 he would do the same damage as before meaning he can easily do 1 million + combos. Before XF1 was redundant with the character... XF1 puts scaling minimum at 35% IIRC and his scaling minimum was 30%. So now Zero actually gets real benefits from XF.

Doom's OTGs can pick up two characters, it's just that his Foot Dive only hits one so you rarely see him convert from them.
I was asking for physical moves, all the ones you listed are projectile moves.

So from what I can tell only Chun Li's Foot stomp is the move that can't OTG 2 characters. That sounds to me like an exception to the rule and that character could definitely use the buff.

Are we ready for four more?
I don't know if the RR list is complete. I do know for sure that most people are still very uneasy about the Setsuizan change. I think looking at the entire cast and checking for OTG moves, taking out the 2 character property makes it an arbitrary change on the character. It puts a bad precedent to set because now we have to start taking out 2 character pick up moves for other characters. I don't like that at all, let Zero have it. Whatever combos he gets now will do much less damage especially off of Buster shots. If he gets a happy birthday with a Buster shot he might not be even able to relaunch because the charge timer has been increased so he would still have to settle for X factoring and burning meter (he would have to burn meter anyway).

I really don't know how else I can justify the reasoning.

onionfrog

Karst and Dahbomb, you guys write so much about this game you could be award winning authors. lol.

Are we ready for four more?
I think we're probably ready for another set of four characters to balance.

Great changes so far, mahvelGAF community!

I haven't contributed much yet since we haven't gone over any characters that I use regularly.

OTGs that only pick up one character

Strider
Formation B
Legion(yes, it only hits one character in some situations. >_>)
Really!? #buffLegion

Dahbomb

I think we are close to finalizing these 4 characters anyway so I am going to post the next 4 characters.

Frank West (another systems mechanic character)
Dante (because he goes well with Frank West and Zero)
Shuma Gorath (EVO hype)
Chris (another character that benefits from Dante)

Frantic

So from what I can tell only Chun Li's Foot stomp is the move that can't OTG 2 characters. That sounds to me like an exception to the rule and that character could definitely use the buff.
Skrull's little stomp move can't pick up two characters either, but I didn't list it since it's pretty much a troll move.

Other than that, pretty much every physical move hits two or more characters. I could have sworn Toy Touch didn't pick up two characters, but a quick test showed it did. I bugged out on that one.

I'll wait a bit before posting a list of changes for him. I have a semi-long list of changes, but I don't want everything on it. Just want to spark discussion and see what people think of said changes.

onionfrog

I think we are close to finalizing these 4 characters anyway so I am going to post the next 4 characters.

Shuma Gorath
Chris
I don't know any of these characters either.

Frank West:
-Remove snapshot -> funny face crusher guardbreak.
-???
-Profit.

Shuma Gorath:
-Fix his weird hurtbox so that regular combos actually work on him.

Bizazedo

Raikousen would still be effective for corner mix ups, just wouldn't be completely stupid.

At max scaling Zero would do half damage of what he does now, not including the damage from assists and his lvl1/lvl3 hypers. So whatever damage a single Lightning Loop does, just half it.

My estimation is that without assists he would be able to do 400-500K meterless, with assists he should still be able to do 600K meterless off of clean hits. A single lightning loop on average does 425K damage (from what I have seen from various videos) that means that now it will do 210K damage at max scaling if he was still allowed to do LL. That's still higher than what his regular hyper does at max scaling, meaning the value is extremely fair.

At XF1 he would do the same damage as before meaning he can easily do 1 million + combos. Before XF1 was redundant with the character... XF1 puts scaling minimum at 35% IIRC and his scaling minimum was 30%. So now Zero actually gets real benefits from XF.

Well, the "best" lightning loop modification does 500k+ ish, but no one does it lol....

Loop starts.
Air Light Raikousen
Air Light Raikousen
Air Medium Raikousen
Air Light Raikousen
Air Light Raikousen (clones have worn off by this point)
Heavy Ryuenjin, cancel into buster level 3
Light Raikousen

With your changes here he can now Rekkoha at this point and this version of the loop builds more meter. The "old way" would have been another Heavy Ryuenjin (if you started around 590k before the loop, you'll end over 1.1 million currently here).

I.e., the only concern I have is this essentially forces Zero to always go for a lightning loop since what really gets hurt is the scaling on a non-loop combo. I'd prefer the loops themselves get wrecked and force him to use Rekkoha or resets more. He has some really good resets I can't use because lol loops.

In short..I can't believe I am typing this, but...nerf him harder.

Dahbomb

He doesn't have Lightning Loops anymore, the soft knockdown is removed on Lightning so they will pop out. Even then 250K damage off of Lightning Loop is extremely fair, there are standard LVL1 hypers that do about as much damage. It would still be more optimum to go for resets now.

I dropped the Sentsuizan nerf a while ago. I don't know why it is still being argued. I will post changes for those four in half an hour.

@Dahbomb, no, LLoops are still in.

Azure J

Definitely don't agree with OTG moves (of any kind really) not picking up two characters. Otherwise, those Zero changes are pretty great.

Shuma Gorath (EVO hype)
Chris (another character that benefits from Dante)

Aw yeah, it's fucking go time.

I dropped the Sentsuizan nerf a while ago. I don't know why it is still being argued. I will post changes for those four in half an hour.

Yeah, I agree 100%. LLoops are challenging enough that their presence isn't unbalanced... It's the damage that's kinda out of whack (i.e. how many characters does Zero actually have to "Loop", vs how much just die on the first sogennmu?)

Also, with the time and personal investment zero players put into LLs, I think taking them away wouldn't be fair to them, and may cause them to drop the character.

BTW... I missed the She Hulk list, I'll search for it now, but is it linked anywhere?

EDIT: Found it. I agree with them. I would like for Chariot to have 1 hit of armor (it IS her equivalent to gamma charge...) but that's ok.

I like the Phoenix ones, too. But my healing field suggestion is cool, dammit.

I like that Wolverine's berserker charge heals. I've been super nutty that Wolvy's healing factor hasn't been a thing in Capcom games since X-Men COTA.

Dante:

• TAC startup reduced from 10-12 frames to 6 frames
  • Pushback on H decreased
  • Rain Storm input changed from jHH to jHHH
  • Invincibility frames removed from Devil Trigger
  • Max scaling on H attacks increased from 5% to 10%
  • Crouching L startup reduced by 1 frame to 7 frames.

I decided to go with a series of subtle changes to make the character overall more reliable without significantly buffing him.

This logic doesn't hold water when every good Zero player is doing them.

There's only one good zero player in my book right now. And even he drops them sometimes (he dropped several against justin).

The other two zero frauds were awful. Cloud didn't hit a single loop in 5 games vs Angelic.

And... the difficulty of doing LLs (as well as buster charging) is a big barrier to entry to playing Zero that I think needs to stay there.

kirblar

And... the difficulty of doing LLs (as well as buster charging) is a big barrier to entry to playing Zero that I think needs to stay there.
If it's there, they'll find a way to do it. Dropping loops due to dropped frames (SFAE PC on bad computers says hi) is not a good method to balance. Players will always push for optimized stuff. Repetitive Sword/Lightning loops are terrible for the game. They're infinites that require meter.

It turns out I have the third post in this thread, so I edited it for all of our current changes. So, if anyone ever wants to know the status of what we have done so far (not what we are working on right now), just look at that third post.

Here are my suggest changed for Chris, Dante, Shuma-Gorath, and Frank West:

Shuma-Gorath:
*Air dash movement extended to 8 directions; distance increased by 50%; total time to completion unaltered; 3 air dashes per jump.
*Mytic Stare and Mystic Ray chargeup time reduced to 30 frames.
*Aerial normals are dash-cancelable.
*Mystic Smash hitbox increased considerably.
*j.S is now special cancelable, and characters knocked down by it during air series land next to Shuma-Gorath instead of far away.
*Mystic Stare assist now shares the point version’s functionality.
*Mystic Ray assist startup reduced to 47 frames.
*Strange Gaze now turns opponents to stone for 90 frames; aerial opponents fall to the ground; usable once per combo.
*Shuma-Gorath's hitbox is now more consistent during combos.

Assists: Mystic Ray H, Mystic Stare H, Strange Gaze

Frank West:
*Snapshot now -5 on block.
*Level 5 health buff removed.
*Chip damage reduced to 15%.
*Pick Me Up frame data now shares that of Dark Harmonizer.
*Tools of Survival hitstun increased slightly (ensures he can link 3 after a TAC).
*Bottoms Up's vomiting effect will be negated if Frank West hits an opponent.

Assists: Shopping Cart, Pick Me Up , Hammer Throw H

Dante:
*Bold can no longer cancel whiffed attacks.
*s.L hitstun increased slightly.
*Level 2 Stinger vertical hitbox increased slightly.
*Helm Breaker no longer has a hitbox behind it.

Assists: Weasel Shot, Jam Session, Hysteric

Chris:
*Flamethrower vertical hitbox increased, slight upper body invincibility.
*Grenade fires now dim significantly when the active frames have finished.
*Flame Thrower damage reduced.

Assists: Gun Fire M, Grenade Toss H, Flamethrower

Dahbomb

How are LL still in with those proposed changes? Unless the reason LLs are possible is not because of the soft knockdown property of Lightning... in which case I don't really care. A 250K Lightning loop that is execution extensive is definitely not "imbalanced". Also allows non execution heavy players to pick up Zero without having to worry about doing LLs because they can get by doing resets and Skittles.

Azure J

Dante:

+ Minimum scaling on special moves increased from 5% to 10% (Multi hit moves bumped from 3% scaling to 5%)
+ s.LM anti-air chain combos on counterhit
+ Moderately decreased pushback on normals
+ Fireworks regains piercing ability
+ c.L startup decreased to 5 (or 6?) frames
+ Fixed issue with c.L not hitting certain floating characters
- Bold Blocking removed (via decreased number of pre-jump frames on Bold Move?)
- Removed invul frames on Devil Trigger activation
- Devil Trigger bonuses stack additionally with X-Factor instead of multiplicatively
- Jam Session assist startup increased; push back distance on block decreased

The idea here is to make him a more reliable character overall without returning the insanity of Vanilla Dante and also addressing little things that could result in another monster character. The Jam Session assist nerf is a bit of pre-emptive measure as the pecking order of assists changes in the theory patch.

Top Bottom