• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

BTW during my sleep I thought we left Jill's Mad Beast hanging. Obviously it's shit as LVL3 but as a LVL1 with meter build on I and that timer.. I think we need some more research on it. The pressure and mix ups you get off it are insane so if she is on the offense she can make sure you don't press a button again. Let's not forget she has block infinites in XF during it and she can build meter off it. At 3 bars that wasn't a big problem but for 1 bar that's too much.

I say reduce the timer on it and not allow her to gain meter in it but improve the start up from 10-0 to 4-0. This way she will be able to use it more like a Berserker Charge. The reason for the meter gain is that just like Wolverine she get combo starters and extended combos from it, her meterless damage does way up during it and she builds a good amount of meter during it. Allowing meter gain for that LVL3 was fair but on a LVL1... nah man I don't feel easy with it.

Viscant:
And now that I’ve just made up a combo for a character that doesn’t exist we’re going to stop. If that’s not a cry for help I don’t know what is. Check this space in the next week or two for team tier list 2013. Thanks for reading!

tumblr_inline_mg8o55p31O1roby8l.gif

Finally

Ghazi

BTW during my sleep I thought we left Jill's Mad Beast hanging. Obviously it's shit as LVL3 but as a LVL1 with meter build on I and that timer.. I think we need some more research on it. The pressure and mix ups you get off it are insane so if she is on the offense she can make sure you don't press a button again. Let's not forget she has block infinites in XF during it and she can build meter off it. At 3 bars that wasn't a big problem but for 1 bar that's too much.

I think God's Beard had the idea of making it a lvl 2, I actually think that making it a level 1 and reducing or completely removing meter buildup during its usage is also a viable option. I mean, it is kind of ridiculous that you gain meter every time you dash in Mad Beast.

Also, those Knee Drop Infinites.

Edit: I should clarify that I also meant to say that if it was a level one it should get a little nerfing too, it is way too good to be a level 1 at where it's at now. Maybe a reduce in speed or duration?

Is there some sort of google doc with all the system changes and stuff?
She shouldn't gain meter in Astral Vision at all! I don't think any install super should build meter imo
Why?

You should consider how people are trying to play a character before you change something just because it doesn't appeal to you.
We actually didn't make any changes to Sogenmu (in the neutral game it should be just as powerful just slightly mitigated due to fewer Busters that can be used to pressure. I think in terms of install hypers... we actually super buffed Jill's hyper and nerf the invincibility on Dante's DT (because it makes no sense for it to have it). Berserker Charge was buffed too, it gives red health like the DTs.

SS will definitely get a substantial nerf and will be 2 meters instead of 1. AV will probably get something, most likely a + and - type thing (no meter gain but improved recovery, that sort of thing).
Will meter gain still be high enough that we don't have to worry about intall supers for anyone in this game?

Something to watch when Hsien-Ko comes up:
http://www.twitch.tv/eightysixed/b/398797176?t=141m20s

Ties into my idea that changing a character shouldn't mean fighting against how everyone is playing them in the first place.
The fact that it builds meter is the #1 sign that Capcom completely underestimated the power of Astral Vision.
The fact that it builds a NORMAL amount of meter is a sign that Capcom completely underesimated the power of AV.

Horseress

Why?

You should consider how people are trying to play a character before you change something just because it doesn't appeal to you.

The plan for Dante, Wolverine and Zero, for example, is to build the meter and then go for it's install super, it shouldn't be different for the rest of the cast IMO

Saw the first player ever to execute and land Zero's lightning loop on me over the weekend. Guy was from Russia as well.

I was so amazed as the majority of people on the vita are fraudulent, rage quit, and refuse to learn combos.

Accidentally deleted the replay :(

Dahbomb

God damn it that new blog entry must have crashed the site or something I can't even get Viscant's old articles to load up.

FUCK!

Leetirl

Neo Member
Is there like a google document or something along those lines where all these suggested updates can be viewed?

Edit: Just now saw that SolarPowered asked the same thing. But really is there?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The fact that it builds a NORMAL amount of meter is a sign that Capcom completely underesimated the power of AV.

Everyone underestimated the power of Astral Vision. I've chipped out hundreds of teams with X-factor lvl 3 Morrigan since Vanilla. That was back when no one besides ClakeyD played her. And Capcom made it better in Ultimate.

That said, the difference is that Morrigan loses her install super upon tagout. It's not like other install supers.

kirblar

Everyone underestimated the power of Astral Vision. I've chipped out hundreds of teams with X-factor lvl 3 Morrigan since Vanilla. That was back when no one besides ClakeyD played her. And Capcom made it better in Ultimate.

That said, the difference is that Morrigan loses her install super upon tagout. It's not like other install supers.
Hers and Felicia's both are lost on tagout- both have a "how would this even work" quality as assist power ups.

Dahbomb

And Spiral Sword gets disabled when tagged out too.

I don't want to open the can of worms on Morrigan discussion. And that's an extremely controversial can of worms.

I just want to god damn read the Viscant blog post!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hers and Felicia's both are lost on tagout- both have a "how would this even work" quality as assist power ups.

I don't agree. Morrigan's application is very simple, and it already works without any adjustment. It's just a mirror image that copies what the assist would do. Positioning is automatic.

What's not simple is having a persistent additional hitbox during an assist, like Felicia's kitty helper, Vergil's Summon Swords, and Strider's Ouroboros. Those aren't traditional install supers. And anyway, Felicia builds meter during Kitty Helper, which is what prompted this discussion.

Regardless, I'm not advocating that Astral Vision be persistent, but what I'm saying is that there should be a tradeoff if you're going to completely remove meter gain.

Dahbomb

Allow AV to persist on tag out and remove meter gain completely during it. Would make everyone happy. If not persist on tag out due to potential glitches, then improve its recovery and start up to match the other no meter gain hypers.

Mœbius

Can't claim to be a Marvel expert so I won't go into detailed breakdown on my thoughts on Viscant's suggested character balancing (although I will say that I like his comments on Iron Man and avoiding buffing characters just for the sake of making them stronger, resulting in them just playing like other (current) top tier characters, instead of focusing on lesser buffs that emphasize their intended play style). In general I agree with the approach of avoiding the obvious character ability nerfs (and buffs) and focusing on the core system changes, which indirectly nerf the broken elements of said characters and teams, without making them boring to play.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Allow AV to persist on tag out and remove meter gain completely during it. Would make everyone happy. If not persist on tag out due to potential glitches, then improve its recovery and start up to match the other no meter gain hypers.

That is not a good trade-off. But it can be discussed once Morrigan is on the table.

I dont know why you guys are wanting to put hyper armor on Nemesis's launcher. At where he uses it (mostly anti air and far away), it never loses.

Instead, give him some aiming ability on his rockets so 25% of the cast can't STAND under them.

Also:
If we're in the business of asking for systems changes, I would ask for a systems directions mode ala 3S (or Smash) you can toggle Xfactor, assists, assist style (marvel 2 taunt vulnerability), TaC's, and random other crap that you can mess with in Heroes and Heralds mode.

Also, the ability to turn off pausing.

Another thing: I know we're not on morrigan, but I saw some people mention AV meter gain.

I wouldn't remove it. I would address the real issue which is the damage on soul fists (which was buffed from 70 to 85k) and that AV sister does 100% of her damage.

Meter gain is based on base damage, so if you nerf fireball damage back to vanilla and make the sister only do 70% damage, that would be (about) a 25% meter gain reduction for the same amount of fireball chucking... which is very significant.

If meter gain goes away, she becomes a new phoenix/vergil= get 4-5 meters and go nuts.

I used to think Astral Vision wasn't worth it because Morrigan has to use Shadow Servant as a reversal or do Finishing Shower to end her combos, and then she loses Astral Vision - lol. Then again, I'm still not sure if it's worth it when she's alone, which was how I played her.

You'll have to forgive me if I'm extremely wary of your advice, since the last time you were "pretty sure" about something regarding one of my characters against another, it ended up losing me a game.

EDIT: Whoa, I just played against this really cool Joe team, and I really like it. Joe/Hawkeye with his vertical assist/Spider-Man. I don't like Spidey so I'll swap him with someone else with an OTG assist or something, but the keepaway is so fucking good I just made someone ragequit.
"Pretty sure" in my lingo means "I heard this somewhere once, give it a try". :) Any expression of doubt on my end is always an indication that you should be wary, because I was wary enough to say I was not certain!

The QCB + S is just an angled down version of the regular launcher. Its supposed to be used for mid screen zoning. No way should that be his regular string, its going to be negative on block and most likely at very close range it's going to whiff because of his height. It's a zoning tool not a block string move. One of his Clothesline has to be safe to be usable as a string.
K.

Cr.L is -5 on block. Cap's "frame traps" are special cancels where you try to punish his normals but he cancels then into Charging Star... it's like how the big bodies play. I don't like calling those frame traps, more like baits. Cap's block strings are garbage generally speaking.
Yeah, it's bad. We need to fix it.

I'm not a fan of being heavy handed on install supers whether they are swords, astral vision or sougenmu. Just my two cents from dealing with some stupid install supers like Cat heads in SG.

I'd cut Morrigan's meter gain in Astral vision by half instead. Missiles and TACs being tweaked already changes things up significantly.
The thing to remember about Astral Vision is that it already nerfs Morrigan's meter relative to her opponent because all specials/normals build normal meter for Morrigan, but double meter for her opponent because they are getting hit twice. The clone doesn't build meter unless it's Soul Drain. So, if you remove meter gain entirely, that's further upsetting the meter balance in the game.

She shouldn't gain meter in Astral Vision at all! I don't think any install super should build meter imo
Every non-meter-gain install hyper persists on tagout. That would be...extremely dangerous in this game. Doubling the power on Dark Harmonizer, or giving her Soul Fists that hit from behind as an assist, while a dream I would love to see come true, would hurt the game overall, probably.

But how many install hypers help and hurt you? The fact that she can't block is why I'm confident that it can be a level 1. That's a pretty big drawback.

And if Shuma-Gorath can unblockable someone and combo off of it in XF3, I don't see why Jill can't do a little infinite blockstring on our nerfed X-Factor values. Big whup. At least two other characters have XF3 infinite blockstrings.

I say reduce the timer on it and not allow her to gain meter in it but improve the start up from 10-0 to 4-0. This way she will be able to use it more like a Berserker Charge. The reason for the meter gain is that just like Wolverine she get combo starters and extended combos from it, her meterless damage does way up during it and she builds a good amount of meter during it. Allowing meter gain for that LVL3 was fair but on a LVL1... nah man I don't feel easy with it.
600 frames to...what? 300? Berserker Charge is 400 frames.

I think God's Beard had the idea of making it a lvl 2, I actually think that making it a level 1 and reducing or completely removing meter buildup during its usage is also a viable option. I mean, it is kind of ridiculous that you gain meter every time you dash in Mad Beast.
She gains meter from dashing in Mad Beast? How much?

Is there some sort of google doc with all the system changes and stuff?
Third post.

Tricking people into watching Skullgirls?

I still think it's fine, personally. It would also bother me thematically to nerf Astral Vision's meter gain. Morrigan gets powered up by the thrills of the fight and steals people's souls. No meter gain is like...sad.

No Morrigan player cares about improving the startup and recovery. Devil Trigger and Sougenmu are fast because they cover mistakes you make. Morrigan doesn't need to cover any mistakes on the ground; she has no ground game.

Allowing AV to persist on tagout means double meter Dark Harmonizer, in case you hadn't realized. That's really scary.

I also plan on advocating for an assist change for her from Soul Fist to Soul Drain.

Dahbomb

That is not a good trade-off. But it can be discussed once Morrigan is on the table.
Not being punished when you activate AV willy nilly? That's not bad at all. And this isn't a trade off either, meter gain on AV is too good and dramatically shifts the game into a 1 player style type game. Options on the other end are extremely limited and with meter gain on she can build back the bar during the AV which is the main problem.

Besides if a patch comes out she's gonna get nerfed. I haven't read the Viscant blog but I know for sure it will have an AV nerf. Every pro player is gonna recommend AV nerf. Better to do one that is reasonable before someone makes an unreasonable one that Capcom picks up on.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Not being punished when you activate AV willy nilly? That's not bad at all. And this isn't a trade off either, meter gain on AV is too good and dramatically shifts the game into a 1 player style type game. Options on the other end are extremely limited and with meter gain on she can build back the bar during the AV which is the main problem.

Practically no install supers can be activated willy nilly except for Vergil's. Almost all are punishable if done stupidly, it's just that Astral Vision is more punishable. It's a bad trade.

You can lessen the meter gain, but don't remove it. Astral Vision persisting as an assist would be glorious, and I'd gladly take that, but it would undoubtedly create a host of balance issues.

Besides if a patch comes out she's gonna get nerfed. I haven't read the Viscant blog but I know for sure it will have an AV nerf. Every pro player is gonna recommend AV nerf. Better to do one that is reasonable before someone makes an unreasonable one that Capcom picks up on.

I don't see how that really changes our approach to this. Every pro player is going to nerf Doom, Vergil, and Zero to a near unplayable state, whichever one they're currently not using.

I

Yeah, it's bad. We need to fix it.

The thing to remember about Astral Vision is that it already nerfs Morrigan's meter relative to her opponent because all specials/normals build normal meter for Morrigan, but double meter for her opponent because they are getting hit twice. The clone doesn't build meter unless it's Soul Drain. So, if you remove meter gain entirely, that's further upsetting the meter balance in the game.

I still think it's fine, personally. It would also bother me thematically to nerf Astral Vision's meter gain. Morrigan gets powered up by the thrills of the fight and steals people's souls. No meter gain is like...sad.

No Morrigan player cares about improving the startup and recovery. Devil Trigger and Sougenmu are fast because they cover mistakes you make. Morrigan doesn't need to cover any mistakes on the ground; she has no ground game.

Allowing AV to persist on tagout means double meter Dark Harmonizer, in case you hadn't realized. That's really scary.

I also plan on advocating for an assist change for her from Soul Fist to Soul Drain.

Wait... She doesn't gain meter for the clones hits? I was almost positive she did since meter gain is so closely related to damage.

We can't accept AV persisting on tagout. 60% meter gain every 140 frames or so means endless Stalking Flares, Round Harvests, etc. In practice it would just be too strong. It also means Devil Trigger would be extremely meter positive with AV (right now it's only a little meter positive), etc. There are far too many problems with this to consider it.

No, AV + Hidden Missiles shifts everything to a 1-player game. AV has tons of holes, and I wrote a very long post about it a month ago or so in the FGW thread. She can't just toss fireballs without Hidden Missiles protecting her.

Morrigan also didn't win Evo, and people are figuring her out. Hell, Nemo went 20-10 against ChrisG by doing the most obvious fucking thing in the world that no one ever does: dash under the fireball and air throw her or cross her up *GASP!* - what an idea, using a character's weakness against her instead of huddling in the corner like a bitch while she pelts you to death.

The character is fine as-is. She is having weaker and weaker performances as time goes on because she is getting figured out. She's a new thing in the metagmae, the first real keepaway character that succeeds at what she does. Too many people are overreacting just because they have to adjust to a new thing.

Wait... She doesn't gain meter for the clones hits? I was almost positive she did since meter gain is so closely related to damage.
No meter gain from the clones. I will make a write-up showing why her meter gain during the hyper is not a problem when we come to it.

Now let's focus on our characters for this week.

Dahbomb

Practically no install supers can be activated willy nilly except for Vergil's. Almost all are punishable if done stupidly, it's just that Astral Vision is more punishable. It's a bad trade.

You can lessen the meter gain, but don't remove it. Astral Vision persisting as an assist would be glorious, and I'd gladly take that, but it would undoubtedly create a host of balance issues.
Wrong Sogenmu can, it has 1 frame recovery. Ryu's install hyper has no recovery either IIRC. Dante's DT has only 4 frame recovery, Vergil's has even less. Mad Beast now at a lvl1 would have 1 frame recovery.

And Nemo won against ChrisG because he beat non AV Morrigan. He didn't have any answer for AV Morrigan. Morrigan not winning EVO does not discount all the majors that ChrisG won with her with top level competition present.

If anyone got the BT blog to load, please make a dedicated thread for it so the rest of us can read right now.

Wrong Sogenmu can, it has 1 frame recovery. Ryu's install hyper has no recovery either IIRC. Dante's DT has only 4 frame recovery, Vergil's has even less. Mad Beast now at a lvl1 would have 1 frame recovery.
Ryu's is 18+7. It's...bad, haha. Half of my proposed Ryu changes are Hado Kakusei buffs.

Dahbomb

That's the start up though, it doesn't seem to have a listed recovery in the frame data.

We are going to do Doom before Morrigan just so we have a clearer picture of what Missiles will be capable of. If it's more or less the same, AV is going to get nerfed.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It's still not something that's a priority to Morrigan players, and I don't think it really helps her game. It's not like the other install supers, that you want to use combo extensions or particular setups.

Ghazi

She gains meter from dashing in Mad Beast? How much?

Give me about 10-15 minutes, I'll make a video showing it, It seems to be quite a large amount iirc.

edit: Technical Difficulties, My Marvel is getting hung on the Checking DLC screen, it keeps checking and hasn't stopped thus far.

Horseress

Viscant's article gave me an idea about a good punishment for a failed TAC attempt: make the character who is trying to TAC fall on the ground in hard knockdown, like it was a throw, with throw's damage scaling too. What do you guys think?

For conversation:
Either high level Frank has to be nerfed across the board (less invincibility on survival techniques, lower durability on object throw, paddlesaws nerfed into the ground with smaller hit bubbles and no ability to instant overhead average sized characters) or it has to be harder to get to high level Frank. The first option is probably not going to happen so we’re going to have to go for the second one.

The numbers I’m looking at are 15 for level 2, 40 for level 3, 100 for level 4 and 200 for level 5. This completely kills the TAC into Frank strategy and makes Frank on point have to rely on team supers and team construction to get into serious levels. Skrull and Nova could still get him there but as long as those characters aren’t too good then the character is still close enough to fair.

It may seem too drastic and unnecessary but the risk reward has to be cleaned up a little. Making high level Frank weaker would ruin the gimmick so the better solution is to keep him dangerous and have the player truly earn him.

Viscant's article gave me an idea about a good punishment for a failed TAC attempt: make the character who is trying to TAC fall on the ground in hard knockdown, like it was a throw, with throw's damage scaling too. What do you guys think?
I'm dead set on removing the randomness of TACs altogether. It's just an inherently bad mechanic in that form.

Horseress

For conversation:

I'm dead set on removing the randomness of TACs altogether. It's just an inherently bad mechanic in that form.

Capcom usually doesn't "go back" on a bad mechanic, so I don't think (although I would like) they will nerf it into oblivion or just remove it, so making it more dangerous to the attacking part seems like a thing Capcom would do

Azure J

I look forward to it.

The 5th committee member has spoken. ;-D

I still want to meet the mystery consensus that was ever against that one throw tech fix. I'm also applauding the man like you don't know for talking about the aspect of TACs that always had me wondering "can we do any better" in it's lopsided benefits in initiation. The meter tax is just the easiest way I can think of to make people actually think about what they're doing.

It's also really damn crazy how similar the overall wants for everyone in the know are on a system level. Everyone wants fixed throw techs, a better TAC and changes to how assists are called/used.

I'm also tempted to forward him the current revision of the GAF sourced patch notes for more detailed analysis from him.

I still want to meet the mystery consensus that was ever against that one throw tech fix. I'm also applauding the man like you don't know for talking about the aspect of TACs that always had me wondering "can we do any better" in it's lopsided benefits in initiation. The meter tax is just the easiest way I can think of to make people actually think about what they're doing.

It's also really damn crazy how similar the overall wants for everyone in the know are on a system level. Everyone wants fixed throw techs, a better TAC and changes to how assists are called/used.
I don't understand what the bolded part means, haha.

Yeah, it's good to see that Viscant is on with us on a lot of areas. ALSO:

Storm

Even though Storm is fresh off 2 top 10 placings at Evo she could still use a couple of buffs. Losing TAC infinite is going to be a serious blow to the character. To make up for that I’d like to see her typhoons sped up. Vertical typhoon is all but useless outside of being used in specific combos. I’d like that to be buffed so it could see a little more use.

Also I’d get her back the ability to call assists while in float state. What made that too strong in vanilla was the fact that she was probably calling Tron, Haggar or Akuma and then setting up a high low. The assists have been changed so I’d like her to have that back.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";72354296]Notice that Viscant doesn't bring up universal damage as a major problem.

I think he's a smart man.[/QUOTE]
He did make a few mistakes, I agree. And he is a very smart man.

Edit: A little disappointed by the blog post. I was hoping for a moment of revelatory insight. Instead I got some tired ideas I've heard a lot around the internet. They aren't bad ideas, but it was nothing remarkable to hear them again. Maybe I just think too much of Viscant.

Azure J

I don't understand what the bolded part means, haha.

Yeah, it's good to see that Viscant is on with us on a lot of areas. ALSO:

Basically, I'm just happy to see that a lot of things he stated were things I were in line with when a Marvel Patch was nothing but a dream for us.

Dahbomb

Yea I pretty much agree with Viscant on a lot of major points.

Like I said before leveled up Frank with Jam Session is best character in the game and Viscant agrees. His idea was to just make Frank 4 harder to achieve and keep uber Frank the same. The other school of thought was to tone down uber Frank which we did by nerfing his chip. Neither change is that dramatic BUT both at the same time would be substantial.

Like I said Viscant wants AV meter gain gone.

His Missiles nerf is not that big at all despite him admitting that its undeniably the best in the game. If that Missile assist remained no way am I going to sanction Morrigan AV to go through without meter lock.

Ghazi

I look forward to it.

Nope, finally got my Marvel working and I was wrong. I swear I remember something like that, guess I was mistaken. Sorry.

I know why, I must've played Training with HC Gauge recovery on at some point and it was regaining meter between dashes and I must've assumed that it gave meter since I don't usually have HC Gauge Recovery on

He did make a few mistakes, I agree. And he is a very smart man.

Edit: A little disappointed by the blog post. I was hoping for a moment of revelatory insight. Instead I got some tired ideas I've heard a lot around the internet. They aren't bad ideas, but it was nothing remarkable to hear them again. Maybe I just think too much of Viscant.

I was hoping for something more extensive. I thought he would talk about all the characters and go in more depth with everything. But at least we have the new team tier list to look forward to.

Dahbomb

I was hoping for something more extensive. I thought he would talk about all the characters and go in more depth with everything. But at least we have the new team tier list to look forward to.
He said that he doesn't like talking about characters he doesn't know much about much which is fair. He only concentrated on the popular stuff.

At least Viscant went HAM on TACs.

Yea I pretty much agree with Viscant on a lot of major points.

Like I said before leveled up Frank with Jam Session is best character in the game and Viscant agrees. His idea was to just make Frank 4 harder to achieve and keep uber Frank the same. The other school of thought was to tone down uber Frank which we did by nerfing his chip. Neither change is that dramatic BUT both at the same time would be substantial.

Like I said Viscant wants AV meter gain gone.

His Missiles nerf is not that big at all despite him admitting that its undeniably the best in the game. If that Missile assist remained no way am I going to sanction Morrigan AV to go through without meter lock.
If you just sit on the ground and block, Morrigan can't even build 1/3 of a meter by spamming Soul Fist x Fly, Soul Fist x Unfly.

And we didn't really address one Frank West problem: how goddamn hard he is to kill once you get him. With an AA assist, huge normals, boosted health, an invincible hyper, and his roll, it's really hard to hurt Frank West.

Nope, finally got my Marvel working and I was wrong. I swear I remember something like that, guess I was mistaken. Sorry.
No apologies necessary. Thank you for checking.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Capcom usually doesn't "go back" on a bad mechanic, so I don't think (although I would like) they will nerf it into oblivion or just remove it, so making it more dangerous to the attacking part seems like a thing Capcom would do

I present to you Exhibit A: Pandora

Top Bottom